PDA

View Full Version : recruiting class by numbers

HerdBot
10-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Looking at the roster, the team is really sophomore heavy. This is mainly due to our bad draft class of a few years ago. With a so class of 29, were set to be really good for 2 more years. I think the next recruiting class is going to be very important. Our sophmore class has a TON of good players to replace. Its even more important to developed this years class.

SR- 18
Jr - 9
So- 29
RFr- 13
F- 30 (3 redshirts pulled) I think 9 or 10 are walkons

Bison"FANatic"
10-25-2011, 09:07 PM
I have said it before. We are going to be good for the next few years but this class they are recruiting right now is going to make us back into a "program" or set us back quite far. We cant miss this year with such a small class next year.

bajadanny
10-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Yes we need to be razor sharp with all of our signees, no oops.

I still want to get Stumf from Harvey, very important to get all the best in No. Dak.

I really like the 6'3" 240lb linebacker we are suposedly looking at from Kansas, it is what we need big fast LB's

Need to be in the mix every year.

Go Bizon

Red Gun Z Slant
10-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Would you take a chance on Mike Maresh's brother, Sam? He was Tim Brewster's storied recruit who washed out at the U. He has baggage including booze and grades, thus he is in community college in Iowa. IF his grades are up, he reportedly would get a look from FBS schools. Maybe he would fit here like his big bro.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/132589338.html

HerdBot
10-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Would you take a chance on Mike Maresh's brother, Sam? He was Tim Brewster's storied recruit who washed out at the U. He has baggage including booze and grades, thus he is in community college in Iowa. IF his grades are up, he reportedly would get a look from FBS schools. Maybe he would fit here like his big bro.

Yeah that would quality as a blue chip but with only 2 years but our SR class would be batshit crazy

HandoEX
10-26-2011, 07:50 PM
I think Bohl is completely down on transfers with bad pasts. We haven't done super well the last few years, especially with FBS kids. Look at Forbes, Haynes, and Westphal. Let someone else have Marish, imo. I'd prefer the kind of kids we have as seniors now...quality athletes with character.

56BISON73
10-26-2011, 08:48 PM

My first response would be---dont go there. But I havent seen him play. Plus Iam sure the interview process would be very important as well.

Strommer10
10-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Yeah that would quality as a blue chip but with only 2 years but our SR class would be batshit crazy
That class was already good, but could you imagine that senior class? I hate to get ahead of ourselves especially during a great season like this, but it's fun to think about. :nod:

56BISON73
10-26-2011, 10:23 PM

He WAS a blue chip. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

Red Gun Z Slant
10-26-2011, 10:32 PM
If Mike was a model citizen and Bohl liked him, I could see taking a chance, albeit with zero tolerance. From the Strib big bro has an influence, and if Sam is as talent, it might be worth a look. UNI is / was the thug haven for Hawkeye and Cyclone washouts. I would hate to see a Billy Turner-type payback from them.

Gully
10-26-2011, 11:28 PM
I think you wait a year or two to add some transfers. They're going to be needed after this Sophomore class graduates.

Mr. Burgundy
10-26-2011, 11:51 PM
I want transfers. About 3 teams in this league have STUD RB's from the Big Ten. I am all about adding talent. Maresh has has Bison blood in his body for years. His brother is his big influence. The kid made some mistakes and was young. His JUCO (Iowa Western) is legit, alot of talent. I would love to take this kid. No question. Taking a transfer here or there isn't a bad thing. Josh Gatlin was great. I like taking a risk here and there. You aren't going to have 100 perfect kids no matter what. Taking a few kids would be just fine. Westphal is a bad example. He didn't have the passion. He was on paper as big of a recruit we have ever had on campus. NOT CLOSE. If that kid had a motor, he would have been great. I would rather take on skill position kids. Specifically WR's as transfers.

BisoninNWMN
10-27-2011, 12:01 AM
I want transfers. About 3 teams in this league have STUD RB's from the Big Ten. I am all about adding talent. Maresh has has Bison blood in his body for years. His brother is his big influence. The kid made some mistakes and was young. His JUCO (Iowa Western) is legit, alot of talent. I would love to take this kid. No question. Taking a transfer here or there isn't a bad thing. Josh Gatlin was great. I like taking a risk here and there. You aren't going to have 100 perfect kids no matter what. Taking a few kids would be just fine. Westphal is a bad example. He didn't have the passion. He was on paper as big of a recruit we have ever had on campus. NOT CLOSE. If that kid had a motor, he would have been great. I would rather take on skill position kids. Specifically WR's as transfers.

Yep!

If there are good JUCOs out there and they fill a need then hopefully the coaches go after them. Illinois State and Missouri State had Big 10 transfers at RB. The coaches must not go after too many of these kids cus you would think they would rather play here compared to some of these other schools.

HerdBot
10-27-2011, 12:11 AM
If Mike was a model citizen and Bohl liked him, I could see taking a chance, albeit with zero tolerance. From the Strib big bro has an influence, and if Sam is as talent, it might be worth a look. UNI is / was the thug haven for Hawkeye and Cyclone washouts. I would hate to see a Billy Turner-type payback from them.

Normally yes but he's a different level player. Were not talking about some guy like the kid from Wisconsin we almost got. Were talking a 4 star blue chipper who had a dozen offers from big time schools. We never have a chance at players of this caliber. Were talking a 6' 3" 260 lb middle linebacker who can run.

He messed up but he deserves a chance. He's been through a ton. Kids mess up. He's been good for 2 years.

HerdBot
10-27-2011, 12:23 AM

You are correct. Westphal wasn't in the same league. Maresh had a dozen D1 offers and is I physical freak. Had His grades been better, he would of been at notre dame or USC. Still he was worth the risk for teams like Iowa. Gophers were shocked.

OnTheFifty
10-27-2011, 01:03 AM
You are correct. Westphal wasn't in the same league. Maresh had a dozen D1 offers and is I physical freak. Had His grades been better, he would of been at notre dame or USC. Still he was worth the risk for teams like Iowa. Gophers were shocked.

Gabe - I dont get any of thisl? Maresh was a full qualifier? Since when does schools like USC have higher admitance standards?? What is the risk for teams like Iowa?? How were the Gophers shocked?

Enlighten me with your knowledge please?

devin45k
10-27-2011, 01:06 AM
Gabe - I dont get any of thisl? Maresh was a full qualifier? Since when does schools like USC have higher admitance standards?? What is the risk for teams like Iowa?? How were the Gophers shocked?

USC's standards are higher than most schools. I dont know how a lot sneak under the bar though.

HerdBot
10-27-2011, 01:57 AM

I can't explain it fully but here's what I gathered.

I was listening to an interview with Jerry Kill and he said BCS schools are held to higher standards and they can't afford to take risks on players with bad grades since they negatively affect the programs minimum expectatons. Also said they can't offer partial scholarships so when they make an offer, they have to be 100% sure.

He said that before talking about FCS schools and how they have the opportunity to take risks on some elite skilled players because the risk isn't as high.

We've hit the goldmine. Look at Marcus Williams. Next year it's going to be Crockett. Now if we can get a 4 star blue chip player.

Even if I'm wrong, he's a great player. He was the #14 linebacker in the NATION. That's why he had so many offers.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Sam-Maresh-60908;_ylt=AoIeoJk45wLgfQ8RzvhFJJJDPZB4

offers... they don't even all fit on the page

Minnesota COMMITTED (04/03/2007) Offered 11/16/2007 John Butler
Iowa Iowa State Kansas State
Michigan
Michigan State
Wisconsin
Notre Dame no offer but close

Plus he's a team guy. He went out publically and lobbied for the top minnesota kids to join him.

56BISON73
10-27-2011, 04:06 AM
USC's standards are higher than most schools. I dont know how a lot sneak under the bar though.

Thay are a private school so they can grant wavers when they please.