PDA

View Full Version : UNI vs NDSU by the conference stats

bisonsupporter
10-24-2011, 07:48 PM
I am a stat person. They can tell you about some teams. UNI and the Bison are pretty similiar in everything except KO and Punt Returns. We have a bigger edge in this, which I think will ultimately decide this game.

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/team.pdf

Buffalo Bill
10-24-2011, 08:05 PM
I am a stat person. They can tell you about some teams. UNI and the Bison are pretty similiar in everything except KO and Punt Returns. We have a bigger edge in this, which I think will ultimately decide this game.

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/team.pdf

I like this stuff too. Here is how close it really is: In all 32 categories UNI has average finish of 2.97 and you guys are 3.09. If I were a round up/down guy it would be a tie. Since we have a lower average I chose not to round up or down! :biggrin::biggrin:

AjaxTheMighty
10-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Or you could look at it this way: The Bison lead in 8 of the 32 statistical categories and UNI leads in 5 of them. Or NDSU is 1st or 2nd in 18 of the 32 statistical categories and UNI is 1st or 2nd in 11 of them.

reminds me of a quote I have always liked but don't know who said it. I don't want to google it either:

"Statistics are like bikinis, what they reveal is suggestive and what they conceal is vital."

bisonaudit
10-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Or you could look at it this way: The Bison lead in 8 of the 32 statistical categories and UNI leads in 5 of them. Or NDSU is 1st or 2nd in 18 of the 32 statistical categories and UNI is 1st or 2nd in 11 of them.

reminds me of a quote I have always liked but don't know who said it. I don't want to google it either:

"Statistics are like bikinis, what they reveal is suggestive and what they conceal is vital."

I can tell you that looking at the relative rankings rather than the differences in the actual statistics is more like a burka than a bikini.

Herd Hauler
10-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Surprised to see that we are #1 in Redzone offense and 2nd in 3rd down conversions! Big change from last year

bisonaudit
10-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Surprised to see that we are #1 in Redzone offense and 2nd in 3rd down conversions! Big change from last year

Red Zone % is a silly stat. It counts FGs and TDs the same!? If you weight it for TD v. FG, which would actually make sense, YSU is kicking everyone's ass, and we're farther ahead of UNI than the straight % would imply.

HerdBot
10-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Common opponents are crazy too. We both kicked msu ass. We both south dakota state ass. We both barely beat southern illinois. We beat a big 10 team. They almost beat a better big 12 team. I guarantee that the winner of this game will win by 3 points unless there are a shitload of turnovers. U n I should be favored bcause they're the defending champions we have the edge at home. Flip a coin can't wait!

MNLonghorn10
10-24-2011, 09:30 PM
what was ndsus 3rd down conversion rate last year? i think bohl and jorgensen brought this up last night on the coaches show and they said this is one of the reasons why ndsu's 7-0 instead of like 5-2, 4-3

bisonaudit
10-24-2011, 09:38 PM
what was ndsus 3rd down conversion rate last year? i think bohl and jorgensen brought this up last night on the coaches show and they said this is one of the reasons why ndsu's 7-0 instead of like 5-2, 4-3

2010 31.4% on 3rd and 4th down. Avg Yards to go 7.89.
2011 45.1% on 3rd and 4th down. Avg Yards to go 6.91.

bisonsupporter
10-24-2011, 09:39 PM

You mean the key to 3rd down conversions is better plays on 1st and 2nd down? Wow! Amazing!

EndZoneQB
10-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Common opponents are crazy too. We both kicked msu ass. We both south dakota state ass. We both barely beat southern illinois. We beat a big 10 team. They almost beat a better big 12 team. I guarantee that the winner of this game will win by 3 points unless there are a shitload of turnovers. U n I should be favored bcause they're the defending champions we have the edge at home. Flip a coin can't wait!

I agree. I feel like this game is actually legitimately squarely matched. I'm more nervous, yet more confident for this game this year. It's a weird feeling because it's completely up in the air. I think the home field is definitely a good thing, and I hope it actually pays off. If this is a close game, I'm not sure either one of us drops real far, especially since most people have already lost below us.

bisonaudit
10-24-2011, 10:01 PM
You mean the key to 3rd down conversions is better plays on 1st and 2nd down? Wow! Amazing!

Yes, that's certainly part of the story but I don't think it's the whole story. Last year we were 21 of 40 on 3rd or 4th and 2 or less for a 52.5% conversion rate. This year we're 11 of 14 or 78.6%. Last year only 3 of those 40 attempts were passes, this year all 14 have been runs. If you ignore these short yardage plays we're still better this year but it looks like at least some of what is going on is that we've been able to get two yards when we need it this season.

semobison
10-24-2011, 10:23 PM

These sats are for all games played! In 2010 in our 8 conference games we were last in the conference on converting 3rd downs at 25%! This year thru 4 games we are converting at 39%. If you go on the MVC website and pick conference stats only you will see that thru 5 games UNI's defense is leading the conference giving up only 30% of opponents 3rd down conversions. We are 6th at 38%! If you look at conference only stats UNI leads us in most catagories! Where we shine is in the Red Zone! We are leading the conference in both offense and defense! UNI's defense is going to be a big challange for our offensive line and Brock!

CAS4127
10-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Semo's post above is what has me concerned and spells out my posts on UNI game today. In short, on MVFC paper they are better than us.

2011 Champions
10-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Semo's post above is what has me concerned and spells out my posts on UNI game today. In short, on MVFC paper they are better than us.

You guys have the advantage because it's at your place. I am nervous as hell for this one. I wish we were both this good next year and it in the Dome here.

EndZoneQB
10-25-2011, 01:07 AM
You guys have the advantage because it's at your place. I am nervous as hell for this one. I wish we were both this good next year and it in the Dome here.

I have to be honest with you, I think the cream is rising to the top of the MVFC. Our team is super young and likely is only going to go up...and you guys always are seemingly part of the conference race. This rivalry is only getting (re)started IMO. It's going to be one to circle every year for both squads...

Wally
10-25-2011, 01:27 AM

Thank cripes games aren't played on paper and are played inside tv sets:)

CAS4127
10-25-2011, 03:26 AM
EP: I am not betting against the Bison. Just stating the obvious(which I am talented at) that UNI is the best team we have faced since we were beat by them last year.

Wally
10-25-2011, 03:34 AM
EP: I am not betting against the Bison. Just stating the obvious(which I am talented at) that UNI is the best team we have faced since we were beat by them last year.

I read ya. More jokey than anything, its an old Kenny Mayne signature line he used on sportscenter:)