PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on South Dakota State

344Johnson
10-24-2011, 04:45 AM
I might be alone on this, but generally speaking, I hate rivals. I want them to lose every week. I want them to get crushed every week. When I see South Dakota St. on a score tracker, I cheer for them to win. I like their coach, I like their team, especially considering how they generally seem to get the most out of their talent. There really is nothing you can dislike about them other than their stadium, they seem to respect NDSU, we seem to respect them, so are they moreso a friendly rivalry cause we both took the leap into D1 together? It definitely was nice to have another familiar school with us throughout the transition.

I like their fans, walking away from the stadium, me and my dad had about 10-15 Jacks fans stop us and tell us that we had a good team and that they will be pulling for us to do well the rest of the year. I don't think any of us would say that to any "rival" except for them. Just want to know your guys' opinions on their fans and their program. I for one have the utmost respect for them. Good luck to them the rest of the way.

Go Bison!

90 BISON
10-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Yep most of the time I meet Jack fans it leads to pleasant conversations, about our two universities. They don't hate us, they reserve that for USD. They are not a rival in the traditional sense, although beating SDSU is always a bit more fun than a normal game. Probably due to a combination of the Dakota Marker and them bringing a good team to play (most often in recent years).

I don't hate them, but perhaps a true rivalry will form between the two schools eventually. However letting USD into the Conference will prevent us from becoming their biggest rival. Hate goes deep between those two schools.

CaBisonFan
10-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Agreed Johnson. Good post.

DjKyRo
10-24-2011, 05:00 AM
Jacks fans fall into the general purview of my theory that all land grant institutions are generally "the good guys" and haven't disappointed. I got a little ribbing when I showed up at my buddy's place in Brookings with a Bison hoodie, but after the first beer was cracked it was all sports talk and crazy stories. Very hospitable guys and everyone around the tailgate lot and the stadium were very cool.

I don't cheer for SDSU to win ever, but nor do I particularly want them to lose. If it's them vs. UND I'm all about the Jacks 100% of the time, every time.

ndbj52
10-24-2011, 05:02 AM
I was told multiple times that I was wearing the wrong color and that some of our players did not deserve scholarships. Most of what I heard was from SDSU students. The stadium and field was a dump, the town of Brookings is a dump. If you look at the top high school players in the state of South Dakota in the past few years most are on our team because we have better facilities and a better program. You may view it as more friendly but it is like the relationship with a little brother. You may support them at times, but you always want to know that you are the dominate one in the relationship.

344Johnson
10-24-2011, 05:03 AM
I don't cheer for SDSU to win ever, but nor do I particularly want them to lose. If it's them vs. UND I'm all about the Jacks 100% of the time, every time.

Can't help but cheer for a fellow Land-Grant school. Honestly, I like the entire Missouri Valley except UNI. Jacks vs. UND.....well you all feel the same way KyRo feels I would hope.

DjKyRo
10-24-2011, 05:05 AM
I was told multiple times that I was wearing the wrong color and that some of our players did not deserve scholarships. Most of what I heard was from SDSU students. The stadium and field was a dump, the town of Brookings is a dump. If you look at the top high school players in the state of South Dakota in the past few years most are on our team because we have better facilities and a better program. You may view it as more friendly but it is like the relationship with a little brother. You may support them at times, but you always want to know that you are the dominate one in the relationship.

I was under the impression that this was assumed. Even during the three-year stretch, to me there was no question as to the superior program and I, secure in that knowledge, was content to observe the Jackrabbits in their moment in the sun during the playoff excitement and ending with the Montana collapse.

NDSUstudent
10-24-2011, 05:05 AM
When the Jacks played Montana in the playoffs I cheered from them, some people I knew thought I was crazy but I respect the Jacks and I like to see them do well when not playing the Bison. That said, I do tease them about their epic collapse just like I tease my brother if he does something embarrassing. I also cheer for Minnesota.

UND though, never going to happen.

TbonZach
10-24-2011, 05:07 AM
This is how I view the rivalry with SDSU: "Oh you. Stop that. :duel: :)"

This is how I view the rivalry with UND: "I'M GOING TO F***ING KILL YOU!!!!! :fight: :mad:"

CaBisonFan
10-24-2011, 05:15 AM

The city of Brookings is far from being a dump. My family and I lived there for several years. Most of the neighborhoods are really nice and well kept. I'm glad that we raised our children there. Yes, the stadium is sub-par for this level of football. The people there know it. The ultra-conservative legislature in South Dakota doesn't wanna cough up anything for Jackrabbit football. It's an age-old story of frustration for the coaches, players, and fans.

jimmyptubas
10-24-2011, 05:24 AM
I had never been to Brookings until yesterday and thus had never been on SDSU land. Me and my wife thought the town was pleasant, the University looked nice and...of course....the stadium....rather D II ish. I did hear Scott Miller say that they had been approved for a new stadium within a few years. Is that true? If so, I'd say that's a good thing. It will only bring more bison fans. I had my hands full as me and my wife brought are two 3 month old boys. We did not realize the tight squeeze of those bleachers. Still, it was way worth it!

344Johnson
10-24-2011, 05:24 AM

This is how I view the rivalry with UND: "I'M GOING TO F***ING KILL YOU!!!!! :fight: :mad:"

Yes. I concur good sir.

Strommer10
10-24-2011, 05:43 AM
I might be alone on this, but generally speaking, I hate rivals. I want them to lose every week. I want them to get crushed every week. When I see South Dakota St. on a score tracker, I cheer for them to win. I like their coach, I like their team, especially considering how they generally seem to get the most out of their talent. There really is nothing you can dislike about them other than their stadium, they seem to respect NDSU, we seem to respect them, so are they moreso a friendly rivalry cause we both took the leap into D1 together? It definitely was nice to have another familiar school with us throughout the transition.

I like their fans, walking away from the stadium, me and my dad had about 10-15 Jacks fans stop us and tell us that we had a good team and that they will be pulling for us to do well the rest of the year. I don't think any of us would say that to any "rival" except for them. Just want to know your guys' opinions on their fans and their program. I for one have the utmost respect for them. Good luck to them the rest of the way.

Go Bison!

Great post. I agree that it's a fairly civil rivalry. A jack fan in front of us was mocking our 4th down & 1st chant, but also was joining my group in yelling "YEEEEAH!" whenever littejohn had his name announced. I also had good conversations with the family of jack fans behind us. Overall good people.

Strommer10
10-24-2011, 05:45 AM

Very accurate analysis :nod:

JACKRABBITFAN
10-24-2011, 12:21 PM
I had never been to Brookings until yesterday and thus had never been on SDSU land. Me and my wife thought the town was pleasant, the University looked nice and...of course....the stadium....rather D II ish. I did hear Scott Miller say that they had been approved for a new stadium within a few years. Is that true? If so, I'd say that's a good thing. It will only bring more bison fans. I had my hands full as me and my wife brought are two 3 month old boys. We did not realize the tight squeeze of those bleachers. Still, it was way worth it! Yes the approval by the Board of Regents is in place but no funds have been raised so far that I am aware of. Our current president a SDSU Alum who worked his way up to the no 3 job at the U of Illinois has ambitions and we are currently in a captital campaign to raise 200 million. He would like to turn SDSU into U of Illinois or bring it to a higher level. He sits two rows in back of me at home games. I am sure he was disappointed with Saturday's game, but I dont think he is going to fire Coach Stig. He realizes as much as anyone that we are under funded and have been that way for decades.

Another big difference is our following in every county in South Dakota. We dont have a large population in Brookings 22,000 roughly as compare to 100k plus for F-M area. We can not put up a FargoDome as the sales tax is not there with a smaller populaton. What I noticed with North Dakota, all the politicians have their degrees from UND and that certainly does not benefit NDSU, so you have a very supportive business community that off-sets this handicap, and I wish the same was true with Brookings which is supportive, but the quanitity is not there. SF is a work in progress, and back in the D2 days seldom were SF business contacted for contributions. This is changing but USD seems to have the same ideas.

I am contributing 100 a month to an endowment in my name for capital improvements namely facilities which would include the staduim. I am just a loyal small time donor. Some of us care a great deal what you folks up north think of us. Your attendence at the game was very important. I thank those for coming down to the game.

I appreicate the good comments in this thread, as opposed to some of the other threads. If you dont think for a moment this game was tough on our coach, you are wrong. This one was tough because Craig Bohl and Coach Stig go back a long ways to the days of Don Morton at Wisconsin. They respect each others very much. I wish Terry Vandervec would stop using his cell phone for press conferences. You can hear half of what was said.

I have significant other who is not a Bison fan, but lives west of Fargo. We have driven a great deal around the campus at NDSU. There are parts of those neighborhoods which are eye sores. Old housing is a problem around all campuses. So to those who think that NDSU and Fargo are without problems are dreaming and smoking something other than tobacco. All of Fargo does not look like south Fargo by any means. I know.

Finally NDSU played an excellent game and deserved to win. Your talent was very evident on the field and ours is coming, but when you consider budgets for football, the expected results are different. I think Coach Stig does the best with what he has to work with. Dollarwise much less than NDSU. SDSU alums seem to support a hugh marching band over a mediocare football program. Thats how it has cranked out over the last few years.

Thanks again for coming down Saturday. Good luck against UNI. Both of the teams are atop the standings and deserve to be there. I am not going to make a prediction, but would rather see NDSU win.

THEsocalledfan
10-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Yes the approval by the Board of Regents is in place but no funds have been raised so far that I am aware of. Our current president a SDSU Alum who worked his way up to the no 3 job at the U of Illinois has ambitions and we are currently in a captital campaign to raise 200 million. He would like to turn SDSU into U of Illinois or bring it to a higher level. He sits two rows in back of me at home games. I am sure he was disappointed with Saturday's game, but I dont think he is going to fire Coach Stig. He realizes as much as anyone that we are under funded and have been that way for decades.

Another big difference is our following in every county in South Dakota. We dont have a large population in Brookings 22,000 roughly as compare to 100k plus for F-M area. We can not put up a FargoDome as the sales tax is not there with a smaller populaton. What I noticed with North Dakota, all the politicians have their degrees from UND and that certainly does not benefit NDSU, so you have a very supportive business community that off-sets this handicap, and I wish the same was true with Brookings which is supportive, but the quanitity is not there. SF is a work in progress, and back in the D2 days seldom were SF business contacted for contributions. This is changing but USD seems to have the same ideas.

I am contributing 100 a month to an endowment in my name for capital improvements namely facilities which would include the staduim. I am just a loyal small time donor. Some of us care a great deal what you folks up north think of us. Your attendence at the game was very important. I thank those for coming down to the game.

I appreicate the good comments in this thread, as opposed to some of the other threads. If you dont think for a moment this game was tough on our coach, you are wrong. This one was tough because Craig Bohl and Coach Stig go back a long ways to the days of Don Morton at Wisconsin. They respect each others very much. I wish Terry Vandervec would stop using his cell phone for press conferences. You can hear half of what was said.

I have significant other who is not a Bison fan, but lives west of Fargo. We have driven a great deal around the campus at NDSU. There are parts of those neighborhoods which are eye sores. Old housing is a problem around all campuses. So to those who think that NDSU and Fargo are without problems are dreaming and smoking something other than tobacco. All of Fargo does not look like south Fargo by any means. I know.

Finally NDSU played an excellent game and deserved to win. Your talent was very evident on the field and ours is coming, but when you consider budgets for football, the expected results are different. I think Coach Stig does the best with what he has to work with. Dollarwise much less than NDSU. SDSU alums seem to support a hugh marching band over a mediocare football program. Thats how it has cranked out over the last few years.

Thanks again for coming down Saturday. Good luck against UNI. Both of the teams are atop the standings and deserve to be there. I am not going to make a prediction, but would rather see NDSU win.

I had a blast. I live in Sioux Falls and that would seem to be the secret for SDSU. They neet to create a revenue stream from SF somehow. Can't see how else they ever get out of this funk.

Further, the stadium should be a state legislature issue. It is horrible and an embarassment to the state. Do they have no pride? They must realzie the $$$ problem you point out in Brookings. With that said, USD is also a dump, so they may need to fix both.

Stig has done well with the hand he was dealt. I am shocked that he was criticized for going for it on that first 4th down when they were down by 3 scores. He had no choice with how NDSU was moving the ball. I guess people just like to complain.

aces1180
10-24-2011, 01:41 PM

I agree...The Jacks fans were extremely rude to us, making unprovoked comments about our vehicle and our clothing.

Their field reminded me of Hughes Field in Bismarck.

I am also proud to say that my group didn't spend one-red cent in that town, which BTW, reminded me of a crappier Devils Lake, ND.

MNLonghorn10
10-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Aside from 1chick flickin us off before the game...not too bad.

The announcer for sdsu sounds eerily similar to the for the longhorns. I like the old style guys over dan michaels or the vikings guy for some reason

JACKRABBITFAN
10-24-2011, 01:51 PM
I had a blast. I live in Sioux Falls and that would seem to be the secret for SDSU. They neet to create a revenue stream from SF somehow. Can't see how else they ever get out of this funk.

Further, the stadium should be a state legislature issue. It is horrible and an embarassment to the state. Do they have no pride? They must realzie the $$$ problem you point out in Brookings. With that said, USD is also a dump, so they may need to fix both.

Stig has done well with the hand he was dealt. I am shocked that he was criticized for going for it on that first 4th down when they were down by 3 scores. He had no choice with how NDSU was moving the ball. I guess people just like to complain.

You may live in SF,but you dont know our legislature. They are very anti higher education. Plus the taxation comes from property tax and sales tax with no income tax. Both USD and SDSU Foundations are charged with the fund raising for buildings at both institutions. North Dakota has never been afraid to invest in Higher education. SD is so lame in that department and I dont see any changes coming unless Oil revenues start flowing into the tresuary. They will probably give tax breaks to property owners with that revenue from energy. Invest in a staduim for football? Are you nuts? I think your idea is spot on with your idea, but travel to Pierre and try and sell your idea, and you will find your a$s aughed out of town.

tony
10-24-2011, 02:03 PM
A. I like Brookings as a town.
B. I like SDSU as a rival.

I know this will rub the Bunny fur the wrong way, but I'm also looking forward to having USD back on the schedule.

I've never had much interaction with SDSU fans except on sites like this and they are good fun to have around.

westriver bison
10-24-2011, 02:08 PM
I like SDSU a lot. They are like having your best friend or brother play for another softball team. There is no one you want to beat more, but no one you want to see win more. When I was in college we made 2-3 trips every year to Brookings to socialize. Made some great friends that way.

Someone alluded to the land grant thing. I think that has a lot to do with it. I, like many of you, know people from throughout the country. One thing is common is the dislike from "land grant" alums of non land grant schools, especially in sports. I think it is the common theme of the non-land grants seem to look down on land grants because we have cows, etc. I don't know where they think their food comes from, but I'm pretty sure society would fail a lot faster if we lost all of the farmers as opposed to losing all the lawyers.

ndsubison1
10-24-2011, 02:08 PM
I hate uni more then sdsu. but part of it is that we haven't beaten them yet

HerdBot
10-24-2011, 02:18 PM
I like Jack fans. I like their coach. I respect their program. But I hate to lose to them. It pisses me off and I stew over losses all year. I enjoy seeing them do well.

But its different for UND. I enjoy watching them lose. I actually hope they get rejected by the Big Sky and have to suffer as an independent. I cringe when I see a Sioux Jersey. I generally dislike everyone associated with the program. They think they are so elite. I pretty much hate everything about them. I became a huge Michigan fan during the playoffs.

BISONBRI53
10-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Stadium was a dump. 8 porta toilets on the "Bison" sidelines? REALLY? Did they really use a clip from Varsity Blues before they entered the field at the start and at half? REALLY? Getting into the game was a cluster! The Jack fans seemed to think that since it was their stadium that getting at the end of the line didn't matter. Did I mention the stadium was a dump?

On a good note... I did like that they kept the music goin thru the game and tried to get their fans goin with it. Too bad we took over the "dump"!

Bison bison
10-24-2011, 04:07 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3zShjyaTr8#t=00m18s

HerdBot
10-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Stadium was a dump. 8 porta toilets on the "Bison" sidelines? REALLY? Did they really use a clip from Varsity Blues before they entered the field at the start and at half? REALLY? Getting into the game was a cluster! The Jack fans seemed to think that since it was their stadium that getting at the end of the line didn't matter. Did I mention the stadium was a dump?

On a good note... I did like that they kept the music goin thru the game and tried to get their fans goin with it. Too bad we took over the "dump"!

Yeah that was pretty bush league. The bleachers suck so bad. Seriously there is not enough room to have people walk in front of you. The wood is so old I was scared to jump as it felt like it may break and I would fall to my certain death. No place to set anything. This lady sitting next to me had her purse fall underneath the bleachers. I went to take a piss with a minute left in the half and I didn't make it back until half way through the first drive in the 2nd half. I went to buy a drink and they "sold out" of all liquids except coffee. Seriously that is the shittiest stadium ever.

BISONBRI53
10-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Here is a PM I just got from a cry baby Bunny fan! BOO HOO!!!

You know I been to the fabluous fargo dome more than once and its newness is that place is a dump as much as CAS. yOU SIR A GLOATING ASSHOLE AND I hope you never set your gloating asshole in brookings again.

SDbison
10-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Yeah that was pretty bush league. The bleachers suck so bad. Seriously there is not enough room to have people walk in front of you. The wood is so old I was scared to jump as it felt like it may break and I would fall to my certain death. No place to set anything. This lady sitting next to me had her purse fall underneath the bleachers. I went to take a piss with a minute left in the half and I didn't make it back until half way through the first drive in the 2nd half. I went to buy a drink and they "sold out" of all liquids except coffee. Seriously that is the shittiest stadium ever.
I agree 100%........Coughlin is the definition of a dump, especially for a DI college football venue. At least rent some more porta potties you Brookings morons.

EndZoneQB
10-24-2011, 07:35 PM

We went out to get food right before half and after waiting in line for 5 mins and seeing the "menu" we realized:

1. It wasn't worth our time waiting for a $4 hot dog from a concession stand that is worse than my HS's
2. It was moving really slowly
3. It was quicker and better to go back to the bus and make some food...and have a drink.

moosbah
10-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Hughes Field. Where the crown is so bad that from sideline to sideline you can only see the opposing teams heads. Classic craphole field.

BisonTeacher
10-24-2011, 11:39 PM
the town of Brookings is a dump.

They have like 2 liquor stores. And they are both Muni's. They probably don't let their kids dance either!!! (Footloose reference for the non-movie literate)

PaBizon
10-25-2011, 01:14 AM

Go Bison!

Enjoyed my trip there and didn't have any negative contact with the bunny fans. I find myself cheering for SDSU when they are not playing the Bison. It probably is the whole land grant vs non land grant thing that makes Bison fans not hate them like they do the snobs up north (that by the way couldn't survive w/o food but seem to rip on cows any chance they get). They do need more porta pottys in that stadium right now and a new stadium as soon as possible.

Hammersmith
10-25-2011, 01:34 AM
IMO there are two types of rivalries.

1. Brother/cousin/etc: Every Thanksgiving you get together for a family football game. While the game is going on there is no quarter given because the winner will have bragging rights for the following year and will lord it over the other at every family event. But once the game is over, you both sit down to eat as a family. And heaven help the person who picks/beats on your brother; they'll have hell to pay.

2. MS/HS/Coll rival: This is the dip$hit you've been fighting with your whole life. You tried out for the same positions on the same teams in middle school. You both were interested in the same girl in HS. In college, you were in rival frats. After college, you both interviewed for the same jobs. You compete in everything. What kind of car you drive, who's got the better wristwatch, the hottest wife, the most athletic kids, etc. You wouldn't piss on this guy if he were on fire, and the world will be a better place when he's gone.

I think there's a place for both of these rivalries in college sports, and I think it's a good thing to have one of each. Obviously, SDSU is of the first type(unless you're SDBison or Mr Burgundy), and the second seems to vary a bit. Historically UND, but UNI has been a good substitute in FB, and ORU & IUPUI have shown flashes of being this type in BB.

Oh, and I had a great time in Brookings except for my own stupidity(no sunscreen/hat and paying double for a ticket because I left my original one at home - not my best day).

heckler
10-25-2011, 02:42 AM
Run the option all day long.

4mcruenomore
10-25-2011, 02:53 AM
Rival Frats? Really, did I just read that? Is it Date a Guy vs. Farm House or what, stupid.

bisonwest
10-25-2011, 03:03 AM
I hate uni more then sdsu. but part of it is that we haven't beaten them yet

Same here bro. I think it's more that their fans are a bunch of arrogant pricks.

heffray
10-25-2011, 03:40 AM
i'm sure i won't get any rep for this, but i'm a bison fan. i cheer for the bison and only the bison. i wouldn't say i hate everyon but the bison, like i hate und or uni. but i don't cheer for anyone unless it is obivously going to benefit the bison if they win. if there were a way for all of the teams in our conference to lose every game against non-conference teams and tie every conference game, i'd be all for it.

EndZoneQB
10-25-2011, 03:44 AM
i'm sure i won't get any rep for this, but i'm a bison fan. i cheer for the bison and only the bison. i wouldn't say i hate everyon but the bison, like i hate und or uni. but i don't cheer for anyone unless it is obivously going to benefit the bison if they win. if there were a way for all of the teams in our conference to lose every game against non-conference teams and tie every conference game, i'd be all for it.

It's a bad way to look at it...you want your conference to succeed and do well because it increases your profile too. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

heffray
10-25-2011, 03:48 AM
It's a bad way to look at it...you want your conference to succeed and do well because it increases your profile too. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

that's a good point, and i don't really think that. i generally cheer for the underdog in all the conference games though. parity is good.

SDSUAlum08
10-25-2011, 03:53 AM
The city of Brookings is far from being a dump. My family and I lived there for several years. Most of the neighborhoods are really nice and well kept. I'm glad that we raised our children there. Yes, the stadium is sub-par for this level of football. The people there know it. The ultra-conservative legislature in South Dakota doesn't wanna cough up anything for Jackrabbit football. It's an age-old story of frustration for the coaches, players, and fans.

The south side of the town is extremely nice. The reason you see older houses when you come around campus is because it's all student housing from renting houses/apartments. Brookings is actually a really nice town for it's size.

SDSUAlum08
10-25-2011, 04:00 AM
Here is a PM I just got from a cry baby Bunny fan! BOO HOO!!!

You know I been to the fabluous fargo dome more than once and its newness is that place is a dump as much as CAS. yOU SIR A GLOATING ASSHOLE AND I hope you never set your gloating asshole in brookings again.

I can tell who this is. Has his writing all over it. If I can tell who it is just by the writing, I wouldn't read much into it.

56BISON73
10-25-2011, 04:04 AM
Rival Frats? Really, did I just read that? Is it Date a Guy vs. Farm House or what, stupid.

Youve never heard of fraternity rivalries?

The Sports Block
10-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Oct. 24th, 2011 Sports Lounge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87zklPzVGr0

11:50 - 17:50 SDSU vs. NDSU football recap

Dabison
10-25-2011, 06:54 PM

Wow that is bad. Stopped watching after 1 minute. Where is that from?

CaBisonFan
10-25-2011, 06:57 PM

Are you on this video? If so...well done. I think that it was a methodical effort by NDSU...as opposed to bringing a ton of emotion to Brookings. It was the right approach. As an old-timer, it felt more like the 60s, 70s, 80s, & early 90s. Just another game for NDSU in terms of its mental approach.

CaBisonFan
10-25-2011, 07:00 PM

My hunch is that it's some SDSU students who used the TV set at SDSU. They're doing it for fun. Perhaps trying to get noticed. Considering that, I didn't think it was so bad.

Also...YouTube vids like that can eventually make money after so many views.

mango
10-25-2011, 07:37 PM
They have like 2 liquor stores. And they are both Muni's. They probably don't let their kids dance either!!! (Footloose reference for the non-movie literate)

Brookings has 2 liquor stores? Since when?

As far as I know, there's only the one located by Hy-Vee.

CAS4127
10-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Brookings has 2 liquor stores? Since when?

As far as I know, there's only the one located by Hy-Vee.

You can buy strong beer and other spirits at gas stations in Brookings/Sodak--not as big a need for a bunch of liqstores.

The Sports Block
10-25-2011, 07:49 PM

Where can we improve? What would you do differently and what specifically didn't you like?

Tatanka
10-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Where can we improve? What would you do differently and what specifically didn't you like?

I wouldn't sweat it dude.

Civil06
10-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Guys talking sports. Simple. I like it. Since you've seen both NDSU and UNI in the last 2 weeks, I'm looking forward to your game preview on Wednesday.

Dabison
10-25-2011, 08:17 PM

How professional are you guys trying to get? Four regular dudes talking about football isn't appealing or interesting. I heard "Bissson" and saw pen throwing = stop watching.

The Sports Block
10-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Watch the whole thing first before picking five minutes out of a 45 minute video. I know you guys go with "Bizon", but come on, it's "Bison". Pen throwing? Really. We are trying to be informative and entertaining.

TransAmBison
10-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Watch the whole thing first before picking five minutes out of a 45 minute video. I know you guys go with "Bizon", but come on, it's "Bison". Pen throwing? Really. We are trying to be informative and entertaining.No dude, it is pronounced Bizon. Get it right.

THEsocalledfan
10-25-2011, 08:29 PM
No dude, it is pronounced Bizon. Get it right.

Darn right.

I actually looked it up in the dictionary once and I had never heard folks say BiSSSon until I went to MN. It is technically correct to say it either way, but last time I checked, if it is our name, you say it how WE want if you want to be a legit sports dude and not just a smack talker. This IS a big deal.

344Johnson
10-25-2011, 08:29 PM
No dude, it is pronounced Bizon. Get it right.

I think either pronunciation is just fine. Everyone I know who has a herd of them calls them Bison, we call our team the Bizon...

TransAmBison
10-25-2011, 08:31 PM
I think either pronunciation is just fine. Everyone I know who has a herd of them calls them Bison, we call our team the Bizon...No dude, it is pronounced Bizon. Get it right.

THEsocalledfan
10-25-2011, 08:32 PM
I think either pronunciation is just fine. Everyone I know who has a herd of them calls them Bison, we call our team the Bizon...

No dude, it is pronounced Bizon. Get it right. I am with TAB and CABison on this one.

I am getting so sick of people either tolerating this or saying it. If we don't lay down the law, it will never be done right.

CAS4127
10-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Bizun--thank you very much!!!!

344Johnson
10-25-2011, 08:40 PM
No dude, it is pronounced Bizon. Get it right. I am with TAB and CABison on this one.

I am getting so sick of people either tolerating this or saying it. If we don't lay down the law, it will never be done right.

Perhaps we should send emails to local congressmen and get them to make a state law that it is pronounced Bizon.

We can then order bisonville shirts that say, "Bizon, Its the Law"

tony
10-25-2011, 08:41 PM
You can pronounce it bye-son if we can pronounce Pierre, SD French-style. NDSU's name so NDSU's pronunciation is the only proper one. If you are talking about buffalo, you can use the hard s.

99Bison
10-25-2011, 08:43 PM
If "media" people would read the media guide / game day information it is listed about every time in the pronunciation section as Bizun.

The Sports Block
10-25-2011, 08:44 PM
NDSU/Minnesota football highlights from 2007. Tell SVP at the start and Rece Davis at 2:15.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GNk8EDKFCw

Rece Davis 15 and 31 seconds in NDSU/Kansas highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3tI-y0tuBw&feature=related

Basketball highlights vs. Oakland at 28 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtpSQJCRDks

Tell those "legit sports dudes" at ESPN to get it right. Or maybe change it from a "s" to a "z" and there would be no mistake.

ESPN has a hard enough time getting South Dakota State right and not calling it San Diego State, which is way worse than Bison. If the way we say Bison and tossing a pen on a desk is your biggest problem, that's not too bad.

TransAmBison
10-25-2011, 08:48 PM
NDSU/Minnesota football highlights from 2007. Tell SVP at the start and Rece Davis at 2:15.

Tell those "legit sports dudes" at ESPN to get it right. Or maybe change it from a "s" to a "z" and there would be no mistake.

ESPN has a hard enough time getting South Dakota State right and not calling it San Diego State, which is way worse than Bison. If the way we say Bison and tossing a pen on a desk is your biggest problem, that's not too bad.It's pronounced Bizon. Get it right.

THEsocalledfan
10-25-2011, 09:25 PM
ESPN has a hard enough time getting South Dakota State right and not calling it San Diego State, which is way worse than Bison. If the way we say Bison and tossing a pen on a desk is your biggest problem, that's not too bad.

Dude, it is not that complicated. Get it right. No excuses, or quit making videos I don't watch anyway.

MN_BISON
10-25-2011, 09:26 PM

I don't really care about the pen, David Letterman tossed pencils around for years, big f'n deal. Just say the name right, thank you. I haven't watched your latest installment but I did see the pregame Bison v Jackrabbits. Change your set, maybe go w/ a basement setting like Wayne's World since three out of the four of you seem like the kind of guys who could just watch tv all day. How about pitchers of beer and maybe a round of speed quarters between picks? Everyone does a shot when anyone on set says Stig or talks about hunting and fishing. Naked chicks never hurt the production value of anything, so more T&A. Could you get TOB to do a guest spot? Maybe a what are ya up to now TOB? That's just a few things off the top of my head and remember to just say the name right.
:biggrin:

344Johnson
10-25-2011, 09:53 PM

Ah my friend...you conveniently forgot that I, indeed did tell those "legit sports dudes" at ESPN a proper pronunciation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEGL9ObQdkQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEGL9ObQdkQ

mango
10-25-2011, 10:04 PM

It's their school, they should be upset when you don't use the correct pronunciation of their nickname. I get mad when people pronounce Pierre wrong, I get where they are coming from. Don't strive to be ESPN, strive to be better than those clowns. It's really not that hard to say Bison correctly.

344Johnson
10-25-2011, 10:09 PM
It's their school, they should be upset when you don't use the correct pronunciation of their nickname. I get mad when people pronounce Pierre wrong, I get where they are coming from. Don't strive to be ESPN, strive to be better than those clowns. It's really not that hard to say Bison correctly.

You mean Pee-air is not to proper pronunciation??? ;)

CaBisonFan
10-25-2011, 10:09 PM
You can pronounce it bye-son if we can pronounce Pierre, SD French-style. NDSU's name so NDSU's pronunciation is the only proper one. If you are talking about buffalo, you can use the hard s.

Right on Tony !!

The Sports Block
10-26-2011, 12:01 AM
I don't really care about the pen, David Letterman tossed pencils around for years, big f'n deal. Just say the name right, thank you. I haven't watched your latest installment but I did see the pregame Bison v Jackrabbits. Change your set, maybe go w/ a basement setting like Wayne's World since three out of the four of you seem like the kind of guys who could just watch tv all day. How about pitchers of beer and maybe a round of speed quarters between picks? Everyone does a shot when anyone on set says Stig or talks about hunting and fishing. Naked chicks never hurt the production value of anything, so more T&A. Could you get TOB to do a guest spot? Maybe a what are ya up to now TOB? That's just a few things off the top of my head and remember to just say the name right.
:biggrin:

We did add a female to the panel this week. I would like the change the look, but am limited with the studio that we shoot. We like different chairs, etc. We have asked TOB, but he obviously didn't respond.

EndZoneQB
10-26-2011, 12:05 AM
We did add a female to the panel this week. I would like the change the look, but am limited with the studio that we shoot. We like different chairs, etc. We have asked TOB, but he obviously didn't respond.

He probably forgot to get back to you :confused: ;)

THEsocalledfan
10-26-2011, 12:24 AM

Kind of like he is baked? Or has the munchies, so no time? Or off in another world?

Tatanka
10-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Kind of like he is baked? Or has the munchies, so no time? Or off in another world? Do you have towels there? Should he bring his own towel? Make sure he doesn't forget.

IzzyFlexion
10-26-2011, 01:12 AM

Does she have big cans?
I might consider tuning in.

ndsubison1
10-26-2011, 01:16 AM

if you think pronouncing something wrong in sports media is okay then you have a long ways to go...

The Sports Block
10-26-2011, 02:39 AM
Obviously I don't think it is right, but it's just the way it is. No one outside of North Dakota or the very limited surrounding area are going to pronounce the name the way you want it too. I do like the thread to get people to do it the right way. It has to start some where. NDSU is probably going deep in the playoffs and have one or two nationally televised games. I suggest letting those that need to know, the correct way to pronounce Bison.

JACKRABBITFAN
10-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks goes out to those who gave me rep pts. I was totally surprise to check the settings and see positive rp pts.

gt_bison
10-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Jacks fans fall into the general purview of my theory that all land grant institutions are generally "the good guys" and haven't disappointed.

Can't help but cheer for a fellow Land-Grant school.

Someone alluded to the land grant thing. I think that has a lot to do with it. I, like many of you, know people from throughout the country. One thing is common is the dislike from "land grant" alums of non land grant schools, especially in sports. I think it is the common theme of the non-land grants seem to look down on land grants because we have cows, etc. I don't know where they think their food comes from, but I'm pretty sure society would fail a lot faster if we lost all of the farmers as opposed to losing all the lawyers.

Oh, my. You gents must never have met a fan (they have far more of those than they have alums, hence use of fan) of the University [sic] of Georgia. They're the land-grant in GA, but wow, do they deserve some serious hating. I do agree that at non-land grants (my PhD is from Georgia Tech), there's a lot of cow jokes and looking down the nose at the land grants. However, also being an NDSU alum, it's not the sort of joking about U[sic]GA that I engage in. I just hate red and black in a way that would normally only be reserved for UND. I'll concede that I probably do tend to give land grants the benefit of the doubt, but once you get up close and personal with some of them, you sure will wish you hadn't.

That's pretty much how I see things. When I lived in Atlanta, we had the NDSU and SDSU alumni groups get together at a sports bar for the game one year. Good times all around. Both alumni associations sent stuff for us to decorate our tables with, and one of the Jacks fans arranged for bison burgers and some sort of Jackrabbit-branded sausages to be on the menu so we could all eat our rivals if we so chose. The Georgia Tech fan in me finds a perfect parallel, as we might talk trash with Clemson (our secondary rival) during the week leading up to the game, but outside of that it's all good. No fights tailgating, and very hospitable when we go there for a game. On the other hand, the number of things (not words, things, including rocks and urine) thrown around in a trip to Athens is seriously disgusting.

4mcruenomore
10-26-2011, 01:25 PM

I'm thinking a couple of the guys could maybe try weight watchers, or just maybe some exercise. I could smell them getting fatter as I was watching.

MN_BISON
10-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Be nice to our bunny friends.

mango
10-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm thinking a couple of the guys could maybe try weight watchers, or just maybe some exercise. I could smell them getting fatter as I was watching.

Jesus dude, is that necessary?

devin45k
10-26-2011, 07:16 PM
I cheer for them to lose every week. There stadium is a dump. There town is crappy. There fans dont even compare to our fans.

But on the other hand I would cheer for them against UND and I never want that rivalry to come back.

devin45k
10-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Jesus dude, is that necessary?

dont be a conservative puss

BisonTeacher
10-26-2011, 08:56 PM
But on the other hand I would cheer for them against UND and I never want that rivalry to come back.

Am I reading the right? YOu don't want the rivalry back with the school to the north "who must not be named" ? BTW...arent you one of the ones who gets upset when people actually talk about the school who must not be named?

devin45k
10-26-2011, 09:00 PM
WHY NOT??? Whats wrong with you?

It seems regressive to me, what's the point. It will only help UND. Give them exposure in football and not change our exposure at all. What is the point, unless U are an old timer that still wants the tradition? We should keep growing like we are and not go back to being just a regional school.

BisonTeacher
10-26-2011, 09:18 PM
It seems regressive to me, what's the point. It will only help UND. Give them exposure in football and not change our exposure at all. What is the point, unless U are an old timer that still wants the tradition? We should keep growing like we are and not go back to being just a regional school.

Sorry, I edited my post and you must have replied before the edit. You were one of the ones that wanted one of my posts removed and never said why. From what I could tell, (becuase you never responded) it was because it said "UND" in the original title...before Tony renamed it for me.

I wouldnt say I am a old timer. Graduated 1996. I am a fan of tradition. And hating the sioux is a tradition. I think you can still move forward without completely repressing your past.

CaBisonFan
10-26-2011, 09:38 PM

I'm an old timer. I watched the teams in the 60s as a kid when this whole thing started. My sister went to NDSU. I used to like playing UND. It was a mean-spirited rivalry that split families. I grew up in Mayville...a definite UND town and not far away. I have a lot of family who went there. It's a great school...really. My son went to law school there. I cheer for the hockey team.

But as far as the football rivalry? I don't want it back. It went beyond being a rivalry. It turned ugly. I'm indifferent to their football team. My son won't watch UND football on TV...and he went to one game in the past 3 years. He said that it wasn't much fun standing with 20 students and watching the paint dry.

It will come back whether I want it or not. It's a matter of when...not if. I'm glad that we avoided playing them during their transition. When we play them I want the playing field to be level in terms of the number of recruits, and being in the hunt for the playoffs. Otherwise, it would be a no-win event for the Bison.

Oh yeah...my strong opinion about not playing them really comes from their attitude toward us when we moved up...the cancellation, etc.

devin45k
10-26-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm an old timer. I watched the teams in the 60s as a kid when this whole thing started. My sister went to NDSU. I used to like playing UND. It was a mean-spirited rivalry that split families. I grew up in Mayville...a definite UND town and not far away. I have a lot of family who went there. It's a great school...really. My son went to law school there. I cheer for the hockey team.

But as far as the football rivalry? I don't want it back. It went beyond being a rivalry. It turned ugly. I'm indifferent to their football team. My son won't watch UND football on TV...and he went to one game in the past 3 years. He said that it wasn't much fun standing with 20 students and watching the paint dry.

It will come back whether I want it or not. It's a matter of when...not if. I'm glad that we avoided playing them during their transition. When we play them I want the playing field to be level in terms of the number of recruits, and being in the hunt for the playoffs. Otherwise, it would be a no-win event for the Bison.

Oh yeah...my strong opinion about not playing them really comes from their attitude toward us when we moved up...the cancellation, etc.

I see, I think there is no reason to play them anytime soon. All we will be doing is helping them in many ways and not helping the Bison in anyway. We will help them financially and probably gain them one or 2 more fans although we would murder them.

We would reduce our exposure and not benefit in many areas. We are on a whole different level at this point in our sporting programs.

Yes, I grew up hating both UND and SDSU. I don't want NDSU to help UND in any shape or form. They skipped out on the rivalry years ago. They dug the grave!

Ginsbach
10-26-2011, 10:43 PM
I see, I think there is no reason to play them anytime soon. All we will be doing is helping them in many ways and not helping the Bison in anyway. We will help them financially and probably gain them one or 2 more fans although we would murder them.

We would reduce our exposure and not benefit in many areas. We are on a whole different level at this point in our sporting programs.

Yes, I grew up hating both UND and SDSU. I don't want NDSU to help UND in any shape or form. They skipped out on the rivalry years ago. They dug the grave!

See, I don't understand growing up hating SDSU. I grew up right along the South Dakota border in Hankinson and no one really had any opinion on the Jackrabbits at all. There was one student a year ahead of me in high school who went to and graduated from SDSU, but aside from him I can't think of anyone who even mentioned SDSU.

UND, on the other hand... There was a definite pro-NDSU feel in town since we were only 60 miles south of Fargo and the majority of the students who graduated from HHS went on to NDSU or NDSCS, with only a few heading all the way up to UND. There were a number of Sioux hockey fans, though, and UND dislike was pretty strong among the NDSU fans.

devin45k
10-26-2011, 11:34 PM
See, I don't understand growing up hating SDSU. I grew up right along the South Dakota border in Hankinson and no one really had any opinion on the Jackrabbits at all. There was one student a year ahead of me in high school who went to and graduated from SDSU, but aside from him I can't think of anyone who even mentioned SDSU.

UND, on the other hand... There was a definite pro-NDSU feel in town since we were only 60 miles south of Fargo and the majority of the students who graduated from HHS went on to NDSU or NDSCS, with only a few heading all the way up to UND. There were a number of Sioux hockey fans, though, and UND dislike was pretty strong among the NDSU fans.

I grew up not liking SDSU because I had friends that lived in Brookings. All four of the family members came to NDSU over SDSU. I graduated from NDSU in 2010. All 4 of the sisters came to NDSU over SDSU in brookings. All will be graduating within the next 4 semesters. THere hatred of SDSU fueled mine growing up.

KC Bison
10-27-2011, 01:13 AM
For the most part, its pretty hard to hate the Jacks, compared with the Who. Jack fans who come from a Land-Grant Institution themselves are at least understanding and are not snobs like the Who fans that think themselves to be too sophisticated to have anything to do with agriculture. You've heard all those comments about the pastures and silos in Fargo. Then you go up to Grand Forks and see what a little hick town it is and wonder where all that arrogance comes from.

BisonTeacher
10-27-2011, 01:19 AM
I too have seen the whole violent part of the UND rivalry. Thats so dumb. I have always thought that the..."my teams better that yours...lets knock each other bloody." is stupid. But its no reason for the rivalry to end. If that were the case there wouldnt be any rivalries. Theres idiots everywhere. Like the guy who burned down that tree at Auburn. I also understand the not helping them thing because they wouldnt help us. But once they are off probationary status...I say start it again. Did we help Minnesota by kicking their ass?

tjbison
10-27-2011, 01:25 AM
no hate for the Bunnies, not an actual Rival but its a good temporary till the real thing comes again.......epic game it will be too

CAS4127
10-27-2011, 02:56 PM

Not to mention that, by beating them, they will move up in the polls!!

devin45k
10-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Not to mention that, by beating them, they will move up in the polls!!

Yes, another moral victory...lol

Fightin' Bison
10-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Theres idiots everywhere. Like the guy who burned down that tree at Auburn.

It's like when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, or did they poison it? Or, did someone pioson the tree? I forget.

BisonTeacher
10-28-2011, 12:02 AM
You're right. It was poisoning. My bad. The point of what I was saying doesnt change though.

CaBisonFan
10-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Really, I hated UND for years. Then when we moved up, all I heard at home was..."we'll do it right when we move up...we'll have all of the money in place...we'll have a conference...etc, etc." Nothing but criticism for NDSU. It's the same group of people that hated Chapman so much. It came from several legislators who wanted Chapman gone. Maybe he needed to go...but the UND political mechanism was pushing at him for a long time. These are powerful folks.

UND really isn't that bad in football. They're just not very good. But they can surprise stronger teams by putting them to sleep.

devin45k
10-28-2011, 12:45 AM
Really, I hated UND for years. Then when we moved up, all I heard at home was..."we'll do it right when we move up...we'll have all of the money in place...we'll have a conference...etc, etc." Nothing but criticism for NDSU. It's the same group of people that hated Chapman so much. It came from several legislators who wanted Chapman gone. Maybe he needed to go...but the UND political mechanism was pushing at him for a long time. These are powerful folks.

UND really isn't that bad in football. They're just not very good. But they can surprise stronger teams by putting them to sleep.

They still arent at are level and arent even close to us on a fan level. No one gives a bleep about anything but hockey up there. That's there argument for everything. I am not ipressed by it because it is not popular in the US at all and there are barely any colleges with teams.