PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical max attendance for UNI game

TheBisonator
10-24-2011, 02:42 AM
Assuming that the students aren't morons and pick up their 3,800 ducats, if we had a 30,000 seat stadium, i.e., and we could keep selling tickets, how big could this thing get??

I think that if everyone who knew they were gonna go went to this one, we'd have 23,000-24,000 at this game.

Twentysix
10-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Assuming that the students aren't morons and pick up their 3,800 ducats, if we had a 30,000 seat stadium, i.e., and we could keep selling tickets, how big could this thing get??

I think that if everyone who knew they were gonna go went to this one, we'd have 23,000-24,000 at this game.

Probably, this is a game where I will be more angry than normal at blue seats.

Every butt is gonna count in this one.

roadwarrior
10-24-2011, 02:43 AM
50,000 at least, if it was in the new stadium in Hillsboro

No_Skill
10-24-2011, 02:45 AM
I was thinking in that exact same range.

I want hope we get that constant demand for each game within the next 5-10 years.

Strommer10
10-24-2011, 02:45 AM
I want 19,000+ there, but what really matters is the atmosphere/noise level of the crowd. I would much rather have 17k screaming fans than 19k and everyone just sits on their hands.

Tatanka
10-24-2011, 02:46 AM

Hang on there Road. Is it a retractable roof stadium? If so, then 60k minimum.

Twentysix
10-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Hang on there Road. Is it a retractable roof stadium? If so, then 60k minimum.

Sdsu has a retractable roof... Right?

TheBisonator
10-24-2011, 02:48 AM
Probably, this is a game where I will be more angry than normal at blue seats.

Every butt is gonna count in this one.

I'm pretty sure that those 10th row 40 yd line blue spots are corporations that are official TeamMakers, the tix comes with their membership, They then offer the tix to their employees, but most of their employees are Sewage grads who don't want to go.

4mcruenomore
10-24-2011, 02:49 AM
17,000 for this one, maybe.

Tatanka
10-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Sdsu has a retractable roof... Right?

Absolutely. And they have a special kind of field turf. it's actually from a field.

TheBisonator
10-24-2011, 02:52 AM
17,000 for this one, maybe.

Forgot your purple, friend!!

TheBisonator
10-24-2011, 02:54 AM
I thought it was made out of goose poop, but you know better than me.

No lie: A poster on the Bunny Board said something like "And this game was played on GRASS, like it was meant to be!!"

(Note to Jethro: Grass can be good and all, but THAT kind of grass is NOT what football is meant to be played on.)

Twentysix
Forgot your purple, friend!!

I would ask him to clarify before you ask for purple.

17,000ish actual attendance sounds about right.

Probably right under 19k announced.

NDSUstudent

75k if there is a bullet train from Fargo running to the stadium.

Twentysix
10-24-2011, 02:55 AM
75k if there is a bullet train from Fargo running to the stadium.

Fargo?

I thought it was some obscure town in northern minnesota?

TheBisonator
10-24-2011, 02:55 AM
I would ask him to clarify before you ask for purple.

17,000ish actual attendance sounds about right.

Probably right under 19k announced.

You do know that the number the Fargodome announces for attendance is the number of people that had a ticket and entered the building, right?? I know this cause I once witnessed the counting process being done during halftime of a game.

I would guess something like 18,452 for this one, but I was talking about hypothetical max attendance.

Tatanka
10-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Fargo?

I thought it was some obscure town in northern minnesota?

Grand Forks?

NDSUstudent
10-24-2011, 02:57 AM
You do know that the number the Fargodome announces for attendance is the number of people that had a ticket and entered the building, right?? I know this cause I once witnessed the counting process being done during halftime of a game.

I would guess something like 18,452 for this one, but I was talking about hypothetical max attendance.

You sure, I was under the impression they announce tickets sold.

Twentysix
10-24-2011, 02:57 AM
You do know that the number the Fargodome announces for attendance is the number of people that had a ticket and entered the building, right??

Yeah right. Its students that entered and tickets sold.

USD "attendance" 18,248

That game was barely attended better than the playoff game, the game in which the attendance announced dictated how much $$$ was forked over to the NCAA.

RMU attendance was 12,202. The crowds were close to identical in number, however... the rmu crowd was a much better sport.

NDSUstudent
10-24-2011, 03:00 AM
Yeah right. Its students that entered and tickets sold.

USD "attendance" 18,248

That game was barely attended better than the playoff game, the game in which the attendance announced dictated how much $$$ was forked over to the NCAA.

RMU attendance was 12,202. The crowds were closed to identical in number, however... the rmu crowd was a much better sport.

There were way more people at the USD game, maybe you are thinking about a different game.

clenz
10-24-2011, 03:01 AM

I would guess something like 18,452 for this one, but I was talking about hypothetical max attendance.Places will get an accurate count for people there, but 99.9% of the time announced attendance is some sort of weird math that averages tickets sold, actual attendance, capacity, and what number sounds like a good attendance to report to the NCAA for money purposes.

4mcruenomore
10-24-2011, 03:02 AM
Kind of sounds like "new" math

clenz
10-24-2011, 03:03 AM
Kind of sounds like "new" math
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obIGsb-IZMo

Twentysix
10-24-2011, 03:03 AM
There were way more people at the USD game, maybe you are thinking about a different game.

I am actually, Im thinking of WIU last year.

oct 2 2010 was the date on the photo.

announced attendance 18701.

This photo is at 14:00 in the 2nd qtr. Most butts in seats in your typical game.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1118/14min2ndquarter.jpg

alot of fans that are wearing blue, they almost resemble people.

I refuse to believe that the announced attendance is people admitted through the gate. No way no how.

NDSUstudent
10-24-2011, 03:07 AM

This photo is at 14:00 in the 2nd qtr. Most butts in seats in your typical game.

That game was homecoming, trust me. There were way more people at that game than RMU, lots of blue for RMU and by blue I mean solid areas of blue.

Twentysix
10-24-2011, 03:08 AM
Wasn't that homecoming?....maybe you are thinking about SIU or Indiana State?

The photo is dated 2nd of october 2010. So nope. And its titled 14 min 2nd qtr.

And yes it was homecoming.

Last years attendance was crappy. Just like the year befores team. Bisonator has a pretty accurate attendance trending theory.

Twentysix
10-24-2011, 03:11 AM
If that is 18700 people our stadium seats more like 25000... which it doesnt.

More than the RMU game sure whatever thats not the point.

Strommer10
10-24-2011, 03:11 AM

That was homecoming last year and was announced as a sell out. I don't remember how many blue seats there were, but the student section was definitely filled. The RMU playoff game was quite the opposite... :facepalm2:

4mcruenomore
10-24-2011, 03:12 AM
Can't be any over inflated than the "50" students that showed up at UND's game 2 weeks ago, lol.

TheBisonator
10-24-2011, 03:13 AM
I REALLY don't want to start the rationalization that Georgia State fans (and Phoenix Coyotes fans, for that matter) use for what actual attendances are compared to what it looks like from pictures, but I feel like I have to take a page out of their book:

Anytime (or most times, at least) during the game, there are a LOT of people in the concourses. I've gone to the concessions to grab a Mt. Dew on a few occasions midway in the 2nd quarter, and the lineups for wares are LONG. People in the pissers as well. At any given time there very well could be 1,000-1,500 people milling around in the concourses taking care of God knows what kind of bullshit. And I know for a FACT, cause my halftime ritual was to walk around the stadium concourse once counter-clockwise, that over HALF the stadium empties into the concourses at halftime.

Next time you're at the FFD, notice the number of people just walking up and down the aisles. There are quite a few.

NDSUstudent
10-24-2011, 03:14 AM
If that is 18700 people our stadium seats more like 25000... which it doesnt.

More than the RMU game sure whatever thats not the point.

I agree, your point is correct. We are announcing tickets sold plus student attendance.

Strommer10
10-24-2011, 03:21 AM
I agree, your point is correct. We are announcing tickets sold plus student attendance.
I think this has got to be close to what it is. Or at least students that have claimed a ticket.

Hammersmith
10-24-2011, 03:27 AM
I think this has got to be close to what it is. Or at least students that have claimed a ticket.
Nope, I think NDSU uses the criteria that the NCAA lays out for FBS schools. Tickets sold for at least 1/3 face value + giveaways that are actually used + students that actually enter the building. What are not counted are giveaways(radio promotions, etc.) that are not used and student tickets that are not used. I believe the band, cheerleaders, etc. can be counted, but I don't know if they are in NDSU's case.

Bisonguy
10-24-2011, 03:31 AM
Nope, I think NDSU uses the criteria that the NCAA lays out for FBS schools. Tickets sold for at least 1/3 face value + giveaways that are actually used + students that actually enter the building. What are not counted are giveaways(radio promotions, etc.) that are not used and student tickets that are not used. I believe the band, cheerleaders, etc. can be counted, but I don't know if they are in NDSU's case.

I would guess that the band is counted, seeing as how they're taking up seats. Cheerleaders, who knows?

HerdBot
10-24-2011, 03:44 AM

USD was packed. You are correct. Now the ISUB game was around 15k but it seemed like less than RMU

JustinTyem
10-24-2011, 03:47 AM
Rent the Metro Dome for this game!!!!

Twentysix
10-24-2011, 04:00 AM

Attendance would be like 10,000

5000 from NDSU and 5000 from uni. That would suck :(, we can play next years at the metrodome :D.

Im not giving way our home game.

HerdBot
10-24-2011, 04:03 AM

alot of fans that are wearing blue, they almost resemble people.

I refuse to believe that the announced attendance is people admitted through the gate. No way no how.

I remember it being Fuller than that. Most people go take a piss between the 1st and 2nd quarter and with a minute into the 2nd qtr that makes sense. Sometimes dark colors look like empties. Try this higher Res picture
http://photos.bisonillustrated.com/Bison-Illustrated/Football/NDSU-vs-WIU-2010/NDSUFBWIU2010Web-0028/1031347004_PFfj3-M.jpg

Students
http://photos.bisonillustrated.com/Bison-Illustrated/Football/NDSU-vs-WIU-2010/14016130_3kFzrF/1031315972_U8RRB

Roberts Morris
Packed down low but empty up top. I got to sit in the rich folks section!
http://photos.bisonillustrated.com/Bison-Illustrated/Football/NDSU-vs-RMU-2010/14837270_J4LvxP/1106889987_FLZc2

90 BISON
10-24-2011, 04:06 AM

Better yet rent TCF Bank Stadium. Minnesota is on the road this week and da gophers would probably be happy to have two real football teams play at the bank for once.

HerdBot
10-24-2011, 04:22 AM
I don't expect the game to sell out because students never show up late in the year. I expect the student section to be half full. Maybe 2,000 or 2,500 tops. The rich sections will be half full. The normal seats will be jam packed. General admission jam packed. Standing room corners jam packed. They will eventually figure out how to find the empty seats. Remember the SDSU game last year? Pathetic. Bigger game of the year. Playoffs on the line.

Why? Marketing has already given up marketing and have shifted attention to basketball and winter sports. Billboards have already been replaced with hoops. The school needsba true grassroots effort to get the students there.

Plus the real casual fans for the corporate tickets have to choose between the Force. They like them because they sell beer.

Attendance will suck. Mark it down.

Bison03
10-24-2011, 04:38 AM
If we can't get the dome filled and the student section filled for this game, it never will. What more could you ask for? Two top 5 teams in country with the 2 best defenses in the country in points allowed, both teams undefeated vs FCS teams, conference title and potential Playoff seatings on the line. This is arguably the biggest game in the history of the fargodome. Bison fans need to pack the dome and be loud. Huuuuuge game? Um yeah, no brainer.

ndbj52
10-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Don't forget about high school football playoffs. Games or on Saturday instead of Friday night. I know Shanley has a home game and South is on the road I believe, I don't know about the other schools. This will take away some parents/families that go to watch their kids or high school team play instead of the NDSU game

344Johnson
10-24-2011, 04:56 AM
I think 19,200 tickets sold. Real attendence probably in the 18,000 range. Lots of farmers won't be done yet, lots of season tickets will yet again, not be seated. I think the crowd will be a little more electric than normal, but not what it should be.

One thing I do love about NDSU, a good crowd isn't good enough for us, we want more, there is no reason that the dome shouldn't be rocking every game, we got the fans, the fans just need to know that a 10-7 game is just as good at a 38-35 game, someone should inform them that 3 point difference is the same no matter what.

HerdBot
10-24-2011, 05:52 AM
I think 19,200 tickets sold. Real attendence probably in the 18,000 range. Lots of farmers won't be done yet, lots of season tickets will yet again, not be seated. I think the crowd will be a little more electric than normal, but not what it should be.

One thing I do love about NDSU, a good crowd isn't good enough for us, we want more, there is no reason that the dome shouldn't be rocking every game, we got the fans, the fans just need to know that a 10-7 game is just as good at a 38-35 game, someone should inform them that 3 point difference is the same no matter what.

We can't break the record crowd of 19,026 if its on TV because cameras use up seats. SDSU wasnt televised that year. Honestly record crowd means nothing. I would be happy if the student section sells out and we have a majority of the season ticket holders show. I anticipate the fans in attendance are going to be jacked. Let's hope for no empties

HerdBot
10-24-2011, 06:02 AM
If we can't get the dome filled and the student section filled for this game, it never will. What more could you ask for? Two top 5 teams in country with the 2 best defenses in the country in points allowed, both teams undefeated vs FCS teams, conference title and potential Playoff seatings on the line. This is arguably the biggest game in the history of the fargodome. Bison fans need to pack the dome and be loud. Huuuuuge game? Um yeah, no brainer.

I guarantee you the student section will not sell out. I'm more confident of that than my prediction Wed beat the Jacks by a minimum of 2 scores.

The students don't care. We could be hosting Notre Dame and they wouldn't show for a late season game. NDSU football marketing is done for the year. The game is sold out so they will stop advertising. They don't get credit for student tickets sold so they probably think their work is done.

If they want to get students fired up, do something with a Halloween theme. The casual fans will love to take part in something fun.

Strommer10
10-24-2011, 06:02 AM
We can't break the record crowd of 19,026 if its on TV because cameras use up seats. SDSU wasnt televised that year. Honestly record crowd means nothing. I would be happy if the student section sells out and we have a majority of the season ticket holders show. I anticipate the fans in attendance are going to be jacked. Let's hope for no empties
Cameras take up how many seats? I know they are only on the eastside. The student section selling out & very few blue seats is all we can ask for. I just hope that happens.

344Johnson
10-24-2011, 06:17 AM
Cameras take up how many seats? I know they are only on the eastside. The student section selling out & very few blue seats is all we can ask for. I just hope that happens.

Student section might sell out, lots of us will hopefully be telling friends about this game. I know I have had 10+ people from moorhead ask me to get them tickets because "I heard NDSU is having a big showdown"

HerdBot
10-24-2011, 06:22 AM

Not sure but if homecoming sold out a week in advance, had nearly 1000 on the waiting list, and sold standing room for a week and still was 200 short of the record, I would guess 100 to 200

Strommer10
10-24-2011, 06:24 AM
Student section might sell out, lots of us will hopefully be telling friends about this game. I know I have had 10+ people from moorhead ask me to get them tickets because "I heard NDSU is having a big showdown"
This brings to mind the "guest" policy. I know the U of M has it where students can bring friends, regardless of school affiliation. I know we probably won't ever have that possibility, but say the student tickets aren't sold out by gameday... We should allow those extra tickets to be picked up by "guests" of students going to the games. It spreads the NDSU brand and fills the seats.

I say wait until gameday so it gives the actual students a chance to pick up their ticket. If they don't get one by gameday, they don't want one.

CaBisonFan
10-24-2011, 06:25 AM

Oh man...I know who you've been talking to. How are the plans going for that ??

CaBisonFan
10-24-2011, 06:29 AM
I guarantee you the student section will not sell out. I'm more confident of that than my prediction Wed beat the Jacks by a minimum of 2 scores.

The students don't care. We could be hosting Notre Dame and they wouldn't show for a late season game. NDSU football marketing is done for the year. The game is sold out so they will stop advertising. They don't get credit for student tickets sold so they probably think their work is done.

If they want to get students fired up, do something with a Halloween theme. The casual fans will love to take part in something fun.

Somehow...not sure how...the student body doesn't feel a connection to the program. But as my son says...I think it has to do with it being easier to hang out with computers, beer, an x-box, and whatever else they're into. I agree that connecting a theme to a game and things like that can help.

What does a student have to go through to get a ticket? I see some discussion here...but would someone connect the dots on the process for me?

Strommer10
10-24-2011, 06:42 AM

If the student section isn't sold out, it will be dang close. I will be promoting the game all week with whoever I talk to. Operation spread the word has already been started.

The blue seats in the season ticket sections is also an issue that must be fixed this week. Students aren't the only worries.

NDSUBowler
10-24-2011, 07:41 AM
What does a student have to go through to get a ticket? I see some discussion here...but would someone connect the dots on the process for me?
Here is the link that describes how to claim student tickets. http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1524317

I have been hyping the game to all my friends for months, bought my ticket long time ago, and have begun my facebook campaign to make sure people (especially students) know the game is happening.

IzzyFlexion
10-24-2011, 11:46 AM

50k.....yes.
Barring any tragic bullet train accident on the way to the game. Those things hold quite a few fans, ya know.

ON EDIT: didn't see student's "bullet train" post before typing this one. Redundancy (sp?) unintended.

4mcruenomore
10-24-2011, 01:24 PM
I love the bitching about attendance and student attendance every week, god it's annoying. Who really gives a shit.

HerdBot
10-24-2011, 01:30 PM
If the student section isn't sold out, it will be dang close. I will be promoting the game all week with whoever I talk to. Operation spread the word has already been started.

The blue seats in the season ticket sections is also an issue that must be fixed this week. Students aren't the only worries.

I'm really not worried about the rest of the dome since its already sold out. No shows suck but all the hardcore fans are looking at this game like a playoff game so they will be as fired up as they were for the Robert Morris game. But the student tickets are a different story. We said the same thing last year vs SDSU and turnout sucked. Its going to take guys like you to spread the word. Hope djkyro is out on the Bison cruiser and they have flyers and other stuff going on in the union. Need a big advertisement on the Bison website.

NorthernBison
10-24-2011, 02:30 PM
I expect that there will be very few people who miss the game due to not getting tickets. If we had a larger venue, we MIGHT sell a few more tickets but it wouldn't be more than maybe 10% more than it is now. The people who REALLY want to be at the game will be there.

There will be some blue seats because something always comes up for some poeple and they won't have anybody to give tickets to. That will never change.

99Bison
10-24-2011, 04:54 PM
What's the hypothetical max # of times bisonator can start a thread about max attendance....? Anyway, moving on.

HerdBot
10-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Somehow...not sure how...the student body doesn't feel a connection to the program. But as my son says...I think it has to do with it being easier to hang out with computers, beer, an x-box, and whatever else they're into. I agree that connecting a theme to a game and things like that can help.

We make it easy. The go to a website and click "buy free ticket." they go to the game and they scan their student id. Can't make it any easier. It's helped out a little.

Now we have to tell them that it's a big game and remind them. Hey guys, did you know we're undefeated and our next game is against UNI, who is ranked #2 and it's possibly the biggest and most important game the dome has ever seen? It's sad but it is what it is. I just hope marketing makes an effort.

SDbison
10-24-2011, 06:13 PM
What is this NDSU Marketing department that many are referring to on Bisonville? To use one it has to exist. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that there wasn't one as there is no evidence to support its existance.

BadlandsBison
10-24-2011, 06:38 PM
I love the bitching about attendance and student attendance every week, god it's annoying. Who really gives a shit.

Lol I know, we're not gonna change anything but we still pretend

Civil06
10-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Unless someone was checking at the same time as me, there are only 10 SRO tickets left.

moosbah
10-24-2011, 07:50 PM

If there is another Blue Seat Special at this home game there needs to be a change in how they distribute tickets. Asses in seats half an hour before gametime or you give up your corporate seats to someone that actually gives a crap enough to go to the game. :ranting:

bisonaudit
10-24-2011, 07:57 PM
If the place is sold out then there actually should be a secondary market opportunity for the corporate's and their UND employees to sell tickets into.

Who cares how many people would show up. If you really wanted to find out you'd make it free but then you'd have no way of paying for a facility to play the game in. The thing that matters is profit maximization. If you've got way to many seats you've got more cost plus a glut of supply reduces the price you can demand. If you don't have enough you risk losing margin to the secondary market. So far for NDSU football the latter doesn't appear to be a problem, solve the blue seat problem and then get back to me about whether or not the FFD is big enough.

TransAmBison
10-24-2011, 10:26 PM
The real question...how many tickets would need to be sold to actually fill all the seats.