PDA

View Full Version : A Call for the Correct Pronunciation of Our Name

CaBisonFan
10-18-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm tired of hearing Bisssson from these announcers.

The pronunciation is like Bizon. Would it be asking too much?

Email them here if you've got some time...please.

fansupport@neulion.com

CA

daddy daycare
10-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Good word does it really bother you that much? I could give two poops less as long as they keep the donut in the loss column.

roadwarrior
10-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Does neulion hire the announcers, or do they just broadcast a signal from someone?

CaBisonFan
10-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Good word does it really bother you that much? I could give two poops less as long as they keep the donut in the loss column.

Does this thread bother you this much? I'd give two poops if you had posted it. LOL

NDSUstudent
10-18-2011, 06:08 PM
I don't think they have anything to do with it. If it such a huge deal you could contact media relations or Jeremy Jorgenson.

BisonTeacher
10-18-2011, 06:09 PM
As I have said many times before, This bothers me too. How long do you think other programs would let it go if their mascot was being mispronounced on a broadcast?

"The gophers....not the golfers!"

CaBisonFan
10-18-2011, 06:13 PM
I don't think they have anything to do with it. If it such a huge deal you could contact media relations or Jeremy Jorgenson.

It's ok. I sent am email to neulion...seeing how they're being paid to handle the streaming. Is it ruining my life? Nope Does it bother me during broadcasts? Yep

They could get our name right.

I give anyone permission 'not' to do this...lol

CaBisonFan
10-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Already got a non-robo reply from neulion saying that it would be brought up at their next production 'enhancement' meeting.

SDbison
10-18-2011, 06:22 PM
I have never been in broadcasting, but I am confident that most every college announcer (PA, radio or TV) should have rosters from each team with correct pronounciation text next to every questionable sounding name. At the top of this roster NDSU should have Bison in bold, large font size, with correct pronounciation text. A good announcer will review this list prior to the game to make sure they don't screw up. For example,one of the Bison coaches name is Fuchs......could be in trouble for quickly reading this and prounoucing it wrong during the game.

NDSUstudent
10-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Neulion just hosts NDSU's content...handles the billing, etc....they aren't hiring announcers or working with them on getting correct pronunciation. I was just telling you who might better resolve your issue.

HerdBot
10-18-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm tired of hearing Bisssson from these announcers.

The pronunciation is like Bizon. Would it be asking too much?

Email them here if you've got some time...please.

fansupport@neulion.com

CA
Pissed me off. Its simple. Say the word risin' and replace the R with a B.

HerdBot
10-18-2011, 06:34 PM
I have never been in broadcasting, but I am confident that most every college announcer (PA, radio or TV) should have rosters from each team with correct pronounciation text next to every questionable sounding name. At the top of this roster NDSU should have Bison in bold, large font size, with correct pronounciation text. A good announcer will review this list prior to the game to make sure they don't screw up. For example,one of the Bison coaches name is Fuchs......could be in trouble for quickly reading this and prounoucing it wrong during the game.

The funniest was the 07 Gophers game. Tyler Jang-goola!!

Tatanka
Best get that to PA annoucers at the places we play, too. SIU's was so bad it had to be intentional. Seriously.

tony
At least pronouncing bison with a hard "s" in the middle is a equally valid as pronouncing it as "bizon" but the proper plural of "bison" is "bison" not "bisons" so saying "bisons" is on the order of pronouncing "Illinois" with an "s" on the end or "Oregon" as "or-a-gone."

Ill annoy. Or a gun. Buy zen.

HerdBot
10-18-2011, 06:37 PM
At least pronouncing bison with a hard "s" in the middle is a equally valid as pronouncing it as "bizon" but the proper plural of "bison" is "bison" not "bisons" so saying "bisons" is on the order of pronouncing "Illinois" with an "s" on the end or "Oregon" as "or-a-gone."

Ill annoy. Or a gun. Buy zen.

Same with the word breasts. I like breasteses

BisonTeacher
10-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Did anyone notice the half time crew from Midco call our coach Craig "Bohls"....at least twice.

CaBisonFan
10-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Neulion just hosts NDSU's content...handles the billing, etc....they aren't hiring announcers or working with them on getting correct pronunciation. I was just telling you who might better resolve your issue.

I see. So it's going to get resolved on-campus. Hmmm...maybe you're right.

westriver bison
10-18-2011, 07:28 PM
I don't care how the announcers pronounce Bison as long as they don't proncounce it sue.

BISONBRI53
10-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Does anyone think that when the UNI game is on TV in 2 weeks that announcers will take a page out of UNI's TV crew and not mention anyone or anything about UNI? That sucked last year! I understand the homers and all but come on man!:fight:

EndZoneQB
10-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Did anyone notice the half time crew from Midco call our coach Craig "Bohls"....at least twice.

They had glassware on the brain...

Twentysix
10-18-2011, 07:39 PM

I roll with stoneware :p

bisonaudit
10-18-2011, 07:40 PM
They're putting the EM-pha-sis on the wrong SYL-la-ble.

Twentysix
10-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Clearly they dont frequent a large zoo.

Its not like a bison is something you could never run into in your daily life...

EndZoneQB
10-18-2011, 07:46 PM
I roll with stoneware :p

Most people roll with paper...just sayin' haha

CaBisonFan
10-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Panters...Salukers...Golfers...Jackwabbits...Sioux s...Yardbirds...Feathernecks...Pengins...Coyates

There'd be no complaints.

How much have our friends...cough...to the north spent for a name?

Twentysix
10-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Most people roll with paper...just sayin' haha

:rimshot: .

CAS4127
10-18-2011, 07:53 PM
A call for the correct pronunciation of our name would be answered if we make it to and win a NC.

Get that done, and we won't have to worry about contacting anyone. ESPN will get it right!!!

BisonTeacher
10-18-2011, 08:19 PM

Maybe they couldnt read their own teleprompters because their feed/signal was as bad as NeuLions?

CaBisonFan
10-18-2011, 08:36 PM
A call for the correct pronunciation of our name would be answered if we make it to and win a NC.

Get that done, and we won't have to worry about contacting anyone. ESPN will get it right!!!

That's the important thing for sure...to do something BIG to gain the recognition. It's just a little annoying when the announcers talk like they're in the movie Fargo. I'll have to check...but espn did a feature on us when we beat MN the first time...and when we got to the Big Dance.

CaBisonFan
10-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Nope...espn didn't get it right when we beat MN in 2007... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GNk8EDKFCw

And well surely when we went to the Big Dance espn would get it right...huh? Ah...nope. Bisons's...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GLe-nWB38I

TheBisonator
10-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Remember the WIU broadcasts of our road games at them??

One such notable announcer f-up was Shamen Jackson, LOL (HOW THE FUNK DO YOU MESS UP WASHINGTON????)

Plus our kicker Shawn Brisebois and our coach Greg Bohl

bri-dog
10-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Two weeks ago they called Trevor Gebhart "Toby Gerhart"...

gotts
10-18-2011, 09:10 PM
The only name I want NDSU to be called after the UNI game is "not their bitch"

jimmyptubas
10-18-2011, 09:20 PM
The only name I want NDSU to be called after the UNI game is "not their bitch"

true that!

yellowstreak
10-18-2011, 09:35 PM
I agree, BIZON not BISSUN.

Ginsbach
10-18-2011, 09:37 PM
The other grad students at ISU (who are either from the east coast or Idaho) make fun of me for pronouncing "Bison" as "Bizon."

It's weird to hear them say "Bye-sun." Is it a regional thing in the upper midwest to say "Bizon?" That's the only way I've ever pronounced it.

CAS4127
10-18-2011, 09:39 PM
I agree, BIZON not BISSUN.

"Bison" sounds like "Bye-zun". That way people don't get the sound of the "o" wrong.

SamsRams
10-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Pissed me off. Its simple. Say the word risin' and replace the R with a B.

I like that! I still cant get over listening to ESPN and their talent still cant say Nevada properly. Your telling me you can figure out how to say Seyi Ajirotutu correct but not a state?

I HAD A good day in Nevada
NOT
I HOD A good day in Nevoda

Hammerhead
10-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Do they pronounce Boise as Boy-see or Boy-zee?

The other grad students at ISU (who are either from the east coast or Idaho) make fun of me for pronouncing "Bison" as "Bizon."

It's weird to hear them say "Bye-sun." Is it a regional thing in the upper midwest to say "Bizon?" That's the only way I've ever pronounced it.

HerdBot
10-19-2011, 01:41 PM
The Doors LA Woman. Its a mojo risin'. Its not a mojo rye-son. Why can't you pronounce the word Bison?

Strommer10
10-19-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't care so much how people pronounce Bison. But what I do care about is people mistaking us as "South Dakota State" or "North Dakota".
The referee at the SIU game comes to mind. Come on, get it right. It's your job to officiate games and you don't even know the teams that you are officiating?

BisonTeacher
10-19-2011, 02:13 PM
I don't care so much how people pronounce Bison. But what I do care about is people mistaking us as "South Dakota State" or "North Dakota".
The referee at the SIU game comes to mind. Come on, get it right. It's your job to officiate games and you don't even know the teams that you are officiating?

I think they go hand in hand. I have heard ESPN say the university of North Dakota as well. I think it was when we were on ESPN U for something or ESPN 3 last year? I can't remember. But they also had the wrong logo on there for the beginning of the game. It wasn't a Bison logo. It was the school up north who-must-not-be-named. Someone must have figured it out because they got the right logo on shortly after that.

Bison"FANatic"
10-19-2011, 03:18 PM
I think they go hand in hand. I have heard ESPN say the university of North Dakota as well. I think it was when we were on ESPN U for something or ESPN 3 last year? I can't remember. But they also had the wrong logo on there for the beginning of the game. It wasn't a Bison logo. It was the school up north who-must-not-be-named. Someone must have figured it out because they got the right logo on shortly after that.

Didn't we play in one hockey games at the frozen 4 also a few years ago. That was quite the feat for our club team.:):):)

HerdBot
10-19-2011, 03:23 PM

That's pretty flippin annoying. Especially when they mix us up and we drop 6 spots by virtue of the bye week.

devin45k
10-19-2011, 05:39 PM
I always wondered. Why does NDSU and North dakotans pronounce Bison with a Z sound? I have always wondered this. I never even knew I was saying Bizon in a different manner until after I graduated HS. Is it just tradition? Is their a difference because of the dialect of our ancestors or what?

Ginsbach
10-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Do they pronounce Boise as Boy-see or Boy-zee?

The native Idahoans say "Boy-see."

They also pronounce Lava Hot Springs as "Laah-vah", Dubois as "Doo - boyz", and various other things that confuse me.

EndZoneQB
10-19-2011, 07:27 PM

It was the softball game.

BisonTeacher
10-19-2011, 07:29 PM
It was the softball game.

Yes!!! Thats what it was. I couldnt remember. Thank you.

HerdBot
10-19-2011, 09:55 PM
I always wondered. Why does NDSU and North dakotans pronounce Bison with a Z sound? I have always wondered this. I never even knew I was saying Bizon in a different manner until after I graduated HS. Is it just tradition? Is their a difference because of the dialect of our ancestors or what?

Its not a mainstream word. How do others say risin'? (Or rising ) with a z of course. I guarantee they don't say ri-son. Obviously its non a common word when plural is mistakenly called Bisons. Go f#@k your sheep's.

devin45k
10-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Its not a mainstream word. How do others say risin'? (Or rising ) with a z of course. I guarantee they don't say ri-son. Obviously its non a common word when plural is mistakenly called Bisons. Go f#@k your sheep's.

U ever notice that Bucknell went from calling their team the Bisons to the Bison recently

HerdBot
10-20-2011, 02:14 AM
U ever notice that Bucknell went from calling their team the Bisons to the Bison recently

Thats worse than painting CHEFS in the endzone of Arrowhead

Hammerhead
10-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Kind of like Dakotans pronouncing Pierre, SD like peer instead of pee-air. :)

The native Idahoans say "Boy-see."

They also pronounce Lava Hot Springs as "Laah-vah", Dubois as "Doo - boyz", and various other things that confuse me.

BisonTeacher
10-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Kind of like Dakotans pronouncing Pierre, SD like peer instead of pee-air. :)

Ha ha...you said pee-air. Sounds like an airline for fetishists.

BISONBRI53
10-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Watched the game from Saturday on TV last night. One of the announcers kept screwing it up. The other guy did a pretty good job. Why not during a tv time out did the guy saying it right turn to his partner and slap him in the head tell him how to say it! Just Sayin! :)

PaBizon
10-23-2011, 02:38 AM

For the same reason you pronounce Visiene eye drops Vizeen. Just because :)

clenz
10-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Bison can be pronounced either way and be correct. If NDSU wants it to be Bizun they should have named the school Bizun.

aces1180
10-23-2011, 02:46 AM
Bison can be pronounced either way and be correct. If NDSU wants it to be Bizun they should have named the school Bizun.

Speaking of trolls...

PaBizon
10-23-2011, 03:21 AM
[QUOTE=clenz;542775]Bison can be pronounced either way and be correct. If NDSU wants it to be Bizun they should have named the school Bizun.[/QUO

You can pronounce it Panthers or Panzzies and be correct either way, :)

4mcruenomore
10-23-2011, 03:24 AM
[QUOTE=clenz;542775]Bison can be pronounced either way and be correct. If NDSU wants it to be Bizun they should have named the school Bizun.[/QUO

They can do that as they are polishing all of their national championship trophies.....

PaBizon
10-23-2011, 03:24 AM

oh and ok Clens :)

bisonbills
10-23-2011, 03:31 AM
oh and ok Clens :)

I think clenz is pretty worried about next weekend....

PaBizon
10-23-2011, 03:38 AM
I think clen(s) is pretty worried about next weekend....

Fixed your post. It's Clens is worried about the game.

BlueBisonRock
10-23-2011, 05:31 AM

Pussies.

Just sayin'

Notorious
10-23-2011, 11:34 AM
At least pronouncing bison with a hard "s" in the middle is a equally valid as pronouncing it as "bizon"...

This!...They actually are not saying it wrong. If we want it pronounced a certain way, we need to do something about it...SID making an effort to educate???...or, win a NC, or two..

IzzyFlexion
10-23-2011, 01:49 PM

this is an internal issue.
stay the hell out of it. save your "quality" smack talk for something that actually has to do with the game.

IzzyFlexion
10-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Thats worse than painting CHEFS in the endzone of Arrowhead

C'mon, gabe.
Finish your work!!
(j/k......happy to do the heavy lifting for you)

great googly moogly http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/bs13690-83559-albums-random-pics-pic63946-chefs.jpg

Fightin' Bison
10-23-2011, 05:27 PM
this is an internal issue.
stay the hell out of it. save your "quality" smack talk for something that actually has to do with the game.

How is it "internal" when the title of the thread is for other people use the "correct pronunciation of our name"? That sounds pretty external to me.

Also, our UNI friend is correct. The word can be accurately prounounced either way. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bison

In truth, our friend CA Bison isn't calling for the "correct pronunciation", he just wants everyone else to use the one he prefers. A little bitchy, really.

CaBisonFan
10-23-2011, 05:45 PM
How is it "internal" when the title of the thread is for other people use the "correct pronunciation of our name"? That sounds pretty external to me.

Also, our UNI friend is correct. The word can be accurately prounounced either way. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bison

In truth, our friend CA Bison isn't calling for the "correct pronunciation", he just wants everyone else to use the one he prefers. A little bitchy, really.

The one I want? No...the one that is commonly used in Bison country. Bitchy? How much last night?

BisonTeacher
10-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Bitchy? Wow.

If you want to pronounce it like you have a lisp...go right ahead. Makes it sound tougher.

IzzyFlexion
10-23-2011, 10:21 PM

Not gonna neg rep you because I don't roll that way.
But, do not dress me down and come to the defense of a visitor who has been less than respectful to NDSU several times over a 24 hour period. (and you identify him as a friend?)
Second, you declare that the pronunciation of Bissssson is acceptable and "correct" ????. Either get on board and support those that support the Bison or go run to the UNI bookstore and get your Panther Pride t-shirt.

56BISON73
10-24-2011, 02:56 AM
This!...They actually are not saying it wrong. If we want it pronounced a certain way, we need to do something about it...SID making an effort to educate???...or, win a NC, or two..

Correct. The only way it is pronounced wrong (IMO) is when they try to plueralize it and say BisonS.

CaBisonFan
10-24-2011, 03:01 AM
But, do not dress me down and come to the defense of a visitor who has been less than respectful to NDSU several times over a 24 hour period. (and you identify him as a friend?)
Second, you declare that the pronunciation of Bissssson is acceptable and "correct" ????. Either get on board and support those that support the Bison or go run to the UNI bookstore and get your Panther Pride t-shirt.

1000% Correct

CaBisonFan
10-24-2011, 03:04 AM
I think clenz is pretty worried about next weekend....

He should be.

Fightin' Bison
10-24-2011, 03:19 AM

If we are claiming credibility over not giving neg reps, then I want some too. I don't think I have ever neg repped anyone on this board for saying something with which I disagreed. I guess that should make my opinion worth more; otherwise why are we talking about not giving neg reps?

This is a message board. People come on here, state fact, opinions and arguments, and it's open to anyone. You think this is only for your bros so you can all be together and tell each other "great story"? As our friend CA Bison likes to say, if you don't like it, you don't have to read it. If you don't want comments, you don't have to post it either.

For the record, I didn't dress you down, or defend anyone. I cited to an indisputable independent reference material to prove my point. That reference material "dressed you down". The fact that a disrespectful UNI booster happens to be correct on this indisputable point is merely a coincidence. The fact that you have rejected the point, despite proof to the contrary is evidence that I am not the one who needs a trip to a bookstore.

BlueBisonRock
10-24-2011, 03:37 AM
If we are claiming credibility over not giving neg reps, then I want some too. I don't think I have ever neg repped anyone on this board for saying something with which I disagreed. I guess that should make my opinion worth more; otherwise why are we talking about not giving neg reps?

This is a message board. People come on here, state fact, opinions and arguments, and it's open to anyone. You think this is only for your bros so you can all be together and tell each other "great story"? As our friend CA Bison likes to say, if you don't like it, you don't have to read it. If you don't want comments, you don't have to post it either.

For the record, I didn't dress you down, or defend anyone. I cited to an indisputable independent reference material to prove my point. That reference material "dressed you down". The fact that a disrespectful UNI booster happens to be correct on this indisputable point is merely a coincidence. The fact that you have rejected the point, despite proof to the contrary is evidence that I am not the one who needs a trip to a bookstore.

I am guessing that your statement and advice might just be a bit too fatherly. :)

squarepeg
10-24-2011, 03:49 AM
This unfortunately is a dream that will never come true. The word is too common, the local pronunciation is not common enough. It's a word like Jesse Ventura and Nevada forever doomed. It will be less frustrating in the long run to accept it and move on.

gotts
10-24-2011, 04:05 AM

FFS, I leave for one weekend and the site goes to shit....

CaBisonFan
10-24-2011, 04:10 AM
This unfortunately is a dream that will never come true. The word is too common, the local pronunciation is not common enough. It's a word like Jesse Ventura and Nevada forever doomed. It will be less frustrating in the long run to accept it and move on.

Oh sob...and I was hoping that there was hope that a TV ANNOUNCER could try to get it right.

BisonTeacher
10-24-2011, 11:18 AM
You think this is only for your bros so you can all be together and tell each other "great story"?

Isn't that why we're all here? :)

MN_Moose
10-25-2011, 11:50 AM
I always thought it is Bi - Sons

you all sure do flip flop

BlueBisonRock
10-25-2011, 05:17 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BisonTeacher
10-25-2011, 07:17 PM

I sure hope you're being sarcastic, cuz this is worse than saying Bissssson in my book. Not to mention grammatically incorrect. The word Bison..is both singular and plural.

Twentysix
10-25-2011, 07:30 PM
I sure you're being sarcastic, cuz this is worse than saying Bissssson in my book. Not to mention grammatically incorrect. The word Bison..is both singular and plural.

Not in french.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Bisons_de_Neuilly-sur-Marne_logo.png

IzzyFlexion
10-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Not in french.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Bisons_de_Neuilly-sur-Marne_logo.png

Les Bisons was my radio name back in my Fort Wayne days. (WFRT: "The Stink" FM)

CaBisonFan
10-26-2011, 02:26 AM
Les Bisons was my radio name back in my Fort Wayne days. (WFRT: "The Stink" FM)

And how hard was the S sound in Les??? lol

Sioux's...Panthersss...Vikingsss...Twinsss...Deaco nsss...Cowboysss...Packersss...Gophersss...Eagless s...Spartansss...Badgersss...Avalanche's...Bruinss s...Trojansss

If any of the above teams were pronounced this way by the TV announcers...do ya think there'd be complaints?

BisonTeacher
10-26-2011, 02:27 AM
Les Bisons? Sounds like a porno title or a lifestyle choice.

Bisonguy
10-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Well, Chris Fowler on College Gameday just said North Dakota State Bissssonsssss, when asking the crew who the teams were in the #2 vs. #4 FCS game today.

BisonTeacher
10-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Well, Chris Fowler on College Gameday just said North Dakota State Bissssonsssss, when asking the crew who the teams were in the #2 vs. #4 FCS game today.

Were happy for him. Just because someone on a legit channel pronounced it a certain way, doesn't mean its pronounced properly. That's the point of this thread. NDSU should send out a press release saying how the mascot should be pronounced. Ummm ESPN...could you stop pronouncing Louisville's mascot as the cardinals....and start saying..."the cardinal"?

gotts
10-30-2011, 01:16 AM
the only name i want ndsu to be called after the uni game is "not their bitch"

not uni's bitch!!!

EndZoneQB
10-30-2011, 01:27 AM
Were happy for him. Just because someone on a legit channel pronounced it a certain way, doesn't mean its pronounced properly. That's the point of this thread. NDSU should send out a press release saying how the mascot should be pronounced. Ummm ESPN...could you stop pronouncing Louisville's mascot as the cardinals....and start saying..."the cardinal"?

Isn't that Stanford, not Louisville?

BisonTeacher
10-30-2011, 12:44 PM
I think you're right...I get them mixed up.