PDA

View Full Version : Beck to start at OLB

bisonsupporter
10-17-2011, 07:15 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/337533/group/homepage/

FARGO – North Dakota State remained as the fifth-ranked team in Division I Football Championship Subdivision on Monday. The Bison remained one of three unbeatens teams in the country at 6-0.

Yet, that doesn’t mean they’re keeping the status quo with their lineup.

Head coach Craig Bohl said freshman Travis Beck will make his first start at outside linebacker Saturday at South Dakota State replacing a veteran player, Brandon Jemison, who is moving to the backup spot at the other outside linebacker spot.

Jemison is third on the team in tackles, has recovered two fumbles and forced two more fumbles. But Bohl said the junior from Fargo South is also a valuable member of special teams and wants him at full go for those positions.

Senior Chad Willson will remain the starter at outside linebacker, although NDSU rotates its linebackers frequently.

Civil06
10-17-2011, 07:17 PM
:eeek: wow. This should keep everybody hungry and remind them that their position is always a competition.

EndZoneQB
10-17-2011, 07:18 PM
I posted in another thread, but this obviously deserves it's own thread. Reading between the lines, anything there you think? Seems like a peculiar move to make at this point in the season with a LB that has been in the starting lineup since he was a freshman. Hip bothering him more than we are lead to believe?

HandoEX
10-17-2011, 07:20 PM
First the redshirts get pulled and now this? All kinds of crazy moves by Bohl and co.

Civil06
10-17-2011, 07:23 PM
First the redshirts get pulled and now this? All kinds of crazy moves by Bohl and co.

Just win Baby!!!!
http://smartasssports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Al-Davis.png

Mr. Burgundy
10-17-2011, 07:24 PM
I love it. Keeps everyone hungry. No position is safe, no matter what our record. Remember the jolt our offense got last year when Senior Captain Cyrus Lemon was benched in favor of freshman Heagle? (Sidenote, lemon handled that like a true professional). We are deep at LB and Bohl wants to make this move.....BJ will still play a ton, and he was a STAR on special teams on Saturday.

4mcruenomore
10-17-2011, 07:25 PM
I firmly believe this is the year and Bohl is going balls out.

344Johnson
10-17-2011, 07:26 PM
I thought Beck was a Redshirt Freshman (as in graduated in '10 like me?), also, yes, this sends a message people always need to be hungry. I'm not saying Jemison isn't hungry by any means, for all we know it is because the special teams looks better with him out there, and there isn't a noticable drop-off when Beck comes in for him. And like the article said, NDSU rotates linebackers a lot. I feel comfortable with our 2-deep group of guys for sure.

Bison"FANatic"
10-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Also pulling the shirt off of Dinwiddie. Both of these moves lean towards either making the special teams more physical or adding depth at LB or both. It will be nice for next year when we lose Wilson to have even more experience at the LB position.

CaBisonFan
10-17-2011, 07:28 PM
I posted in another thread, but this obviously deserves it's own thread. Reading between the lines, anything there you think? Seems like a peculiar move to make at this point in the season with a LB that has been in the starting lineup since he was a freshman. Hip bothering him more than we are lead to believe?

I bet you're right. The hip is bothering him. Otherwise this makes no sense. I was totally impressed with Travis Beck on Saturday however. He brought the wood in a big way. I suppose it's possible that this is a message for everyone. Another way to look at it is to say that Jemison is being groomed to take over for Preston Evans. Sub for him now...get used to it...get healthy...and be ready for next year.

NDSUstudent
10-17-2011, 07:30 PM
I think this is just Bohl trying to keep the team sharp and hungry. IMO in 2007 after we beat MN we got complacent and that really dragged on into 2008. I think that has kept Bohl on edge all year, he knows this team is capable of big things and doesn't want to step off the gas peddle one bit.

EndZoneQB
10-17-2011, 07:32 PM
I bet you're right. The hip is bothering him. Otherwise this makes no sense. I was totally impressed with Travis Beck on Saturday however. He brought the wood in a big way. I suppose it's possible that this is a message for everyone. Another way to look at it is to say that Jemison is being groomed to take over for Preston Evans. Sub for him now...get used to it...get healthy...and be ready for next year.

Jemison got moved to WILL backer to be the backup for Willson. It is what it is. I'm still surprised by it...

BlueBisonRock
10-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Jemison got moved to WILL backer to be the backup for Willson. It is what it is. I'm still surprised by it...

The most likely scenario is Jemison's hip. Reducing the reps and keeping a special teams focus will help both the man and the team. The coaches are not talking about his hip just as they did not talk about DJ's ankle being less than 100%.

Mr. Burgundy
10-17-2011, 07:40 PM
I bet you're right. The hip is bothering him. Otherwise this makes no sense. I was totally impressed with Travis Beck on Saturday however. He brought the wood in a big way. I suppose it's possible that this is a message for everyone. Another way to look at it is to say that Jemison is being groomed to take over for Preston Evans. Sub for him now...get used to it...get healthy...and be ready for next year.'

Umm no. He is not the replacement for Preston. #34 is taking that job. Jemison is a speed guy on the edge. This will keep him fresh, keep him on special teams and he will play plenty...just like the rest of the LB's.

HandoEX
10-17-2011, 07:42 PM
I thought Beck was a Redshirt Freshman (as in graduated in '10 like me?), also, yes, this sends a message people always need to be hungry. I'm not saying Jemison isn't hungry by any means, for all we know it is because the special teams looks better with him out there, and there isn't a noticable drop-off when Beck comes in for him. And like the article said, NDSU rotates linebackers a lot. I feel comfortable with our 2-deep group of guys for sure.
Beck is a redshirt freshman, didn't say he was a true freshman anywhere.

We have a ton of LBs that play. It's a nice problem to have compared to when we had DJ McNorton play LB just two short years ago!!!!

CaBisonFan
10-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Here's what it is: Our front 7 hasn't been very stout. Travis brings that...along with Chad Willson. Both bring it...and have great desire. Bohl is putting those guys on the field. Wishes he had more.

HerdBot
10-17-2011, 07:56 PM
I love it. Keeps everyone hungry. No position is safe, no matter what our record. Remember the jolt our offense got last year when Senior Captain Cyrus Lemon was benched in favor of freshman Heagle? (Sidenote, lemon handled that like a true professional). We are deep at LB and Bohl wants to make this move.....BJ will still play a ton, and he was a STAR on special teams on Saturday.

This has nothing to do with a statement or effort. His hip surgery was a big deal and he's still not 100%. Beck has been playing well so this gives us a better chance of winning. He will still contribute but next year hes back at 100 percent.

NorthernBison
10-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Who is listed as the starter isn't that big of a deal. Travis HAS been getting more snaps, especially on Saturday. Prior to that he was always in on nickel and got some series here and there in addition to regular special teams work.

Travis is a very good special teams player. He's on kickoff, kick return and punt return teams. I generally watch him on kickoffs and he's got excellent speed and draws extra attention from the coverage team.

Travis is excellent in pass coverage, a sure tackler, and is seldom out of position. He is not a big hitter ala Joe Mays. He won't make highlight reels but he won't miss many tackles. I think his record of being in the right place and playing the pass is a factor this week with a SDSU team that will sling the ball around.

HerdBot
10-17-2011, 08:21 PM

Inside requires less speed and if his hip is bad ...

KINGRANCH
10-17-2011, 08:32 PM
how many tackles does travis have this year? he had an assload the first couple games this year. kid is going to be a stud bison for three more years!!! side note his high school didnt even have high school football, had to go to langdon to play. im high on this kid since i have known him since he was born.

Bison"FANatic"
10-17-2011, 08:39 PM
10 solos 8 assists

Dabison
10-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Congrats to Travis! :cheers:

bisontwice
10-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Littlejohn started last week instead of Jemison, was out there for the 1st series after the KO and Jemison on the sidelines. Have had trouble finding a backup for the Will LB spot and the guys are getting banged up out there. Better move than trying to convert Beck or Littlejohn to a Will LB.

HerdBot
10-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Littlejohn started last week instead of Jemison, was out there for the 1st series after the KO and Jemison on the sidelines. Have had trouble finding a backup for the Will LB spot and the guys are getting banged up out there. Better move than trying to convert Beck or Littlejohn to a Will LB.

Yeah I noticed that too on the depth chart.

Fightin' Bison
10-18-2011, 04:55 PM
That sound you just heard was Lakes' head exploding.

IzzyFlexion
10-19-2011, 11:09 AM
NorthernBison vouched for this kid 2 years ago as a high schooler.
I've been impressed.
Comes from good stock, I do know that.

EndZoneQB
10-19-2011, 12:00 PM
NorthernBison vouched for this kid 2 years ago as a high schooler.
I've been impressed.
Comes from good stock, I do know that.

I used to party with his sister all the time back in the day.

BlueBisonRock
10-19-2011, 03:42 PM
I used to party with his sister all the time back in the day.

And I have to believe her defense against your best moves was outstanding.

EndZoneQB
10-19-2011, 07:20 PM
And I have to believe her defense against your best moves was outstanding.

She did have really quick feet...and quick "play" recognition.

CAS4127
10-19-2011, 07:21 PM
She did have really quick feet...and quick "play" recognition.

What are you doin looking at her effin feet!!!!:facepalm2:

NorthernBison
10-19-2011, 07:41 PM
:offtopic: Heading off the rails in a rather dangerous direction. Just sayin'.

EndZoneQB
10-19-2011, 07:43 PM
What are you doin looking at her effin feet!!!!:facepalm2:

Just watching film and studying my opponent! Plus, I knew Rex Ryan would be curious if he was ever looking at drafting Travis.

ndsubison1
10-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Northern mite be right. sdsu is a pass happy team and beck has been playing in passing situations. plu littlejoh got beat bad a few times last week

Strommer10
10-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Northern mite be right. sdsu is a pass happy team and beck has been playing in passing situations. plu littlejoh got beat bad a few times last week
This is true, the coaching staff had a reason for this move. It wasn't just for the hell of it. I hope...:hide:

bisontwice
10-22-2011, 12:29 PM
While I do think Beck is a good player and getting better, I am concerned that he is only listed at 210 pounds, most likely playing lighter than that. I know tampa 2 scheme, lighter/quicker LB's, etc. But that is a little small to take the pounding our LB's take.

silkamilkamonico
10-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Awesome to see a good majority of bisonville come around on the opinion that you play the best players whether they are freshmen or not, instead of saving them so they have a 5th season. We're here to win championships, not to give guys an extra year to prepare for their senior year.

KINGRANCH
10-22-2011, 04:41 PM
he redshirted last year, he is not a true freshman.