PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Williams

Bison06
10-16-2011, 04:06 PM
With Marcus being only a Sophomore some may feel this conversation is premature, but I think it would be an interesting discussion.

Is Marcus Williams the most talented All-Around football player to ever play for the Bison?

I can't think of anyone else who has had such a dramatic impact on the football game as he does.

It is a hard thing to quantify because it doesn't really show up in the stats, but who else would be in this discussion?

Strommer10
10-16-2011, 04:15 PM
I just had a conversation with a guy at the game last night about this. In my opinion, he is by far the biggest "playmaker" on the team. As far as in the history of the program, it's tough to say. That is different from being the best all-around football player. I guarantee he could line up at receiver and be an impact as well. His special teams impact is obvious after returning that kick for a TD last night.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that he is a D1 athlete... To me he is better than most past players due to the fact that it's D1, not D2 anymore. To me, he could be the best all-around player we've had since we moved to D1. Take it for what it's worth, but he very well could be the best all-around player that we've had in the history of Bison football.

BisonTeacher
10-16-2011, 04:22 PM
He has made so many game changing plays this year. I can't believe the gophers let him get out of the cities. Its good for the Bison that Brewster was an idiot.

Strommer10
10-16-2011, 05:52 PM
He has made so many game changing plays this year. I can't believe the gophers let him get out of the cities. Its good for the Bison that Brewster was an idiot.
Brewster is a Bison football booster and he didn't even know it. :rofl:
Pays us to beat an FBS & refused to recruit some of the better players in his own city, let alone state.

BisonTeacher
10-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Agreed. Its also ironic that other than Jensen's QB play during that minnesota game, Williams made the 2 biggest plays of the game.

DjKyRo
10-16-2011, 06:01 PM
I don't know about best ever just yet, but if he keeps up this play it's going to be tough to pick against him. :)

tony
10-16-2011, 06:08 PM
He reminds me of Tyrone Braxton (All-Pro for Denver who was a DB and return guy for NDSU.) Braxton returned the opening kickoff about 80 yards in the 1985 National Championship Game and returned a punt for a TD (80+ yards) in the 1986 National Championship game. Also, during an NDSU v UND game, UND punted and their coverage guys all ran down and surrounded the ball. While they were waiting for it to stop moving, Tyrone snuck in, grabbed the ball and ran it back for a TD (hardest I've ever laughed at a football game.) Braxton also ran track and was very quick... great explosion.

Even so, I think that Marcus Williams is better.

HoopsBison
10-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Gordon is still my vote for this, granted he is a RB and has lot more chances to make plays the Marcus. The amazing thing about Marcus is he always finds a way to make an impact play in everygame as a DB.

THEsocalledfan
10-16-2011, 06:33 PM
He reminds me of Tyrone Braxton (All-Pro for Denver who was a DB and return guy for NDSU.) Braxton returned the opening kickoff about 80 yards in the 1985 National Championship Game and returned a punt for a TD (80+ years) in the 1986 National Championship game. Also, during an NDSU v UND game, UND punted and their coverage guys all ran down and surrounded the ball. While they were waiting for it to stop moving, Tyrone snuck in, grabbed the ball and ran it back for a TD (hardest I've ever laughed at a football game.) Braxton also ran track and was very quick... great explosion.

I will just sum up the conversation my brother and I had about him and say Marcus will be playing on Sundays (baring any major injuries).

CaBisonFan
10-16-2011, 06:42 PM
With Marcus being only a Sophomore some may feel this conversation is premature, but I think it would be an interesting discussion.

Is Marcus Williams the most talented All-Around football player to ever play for the Bison?

I can't think of anyone else who has had such a dramatic impact on the football game as he does.

It is a hard thing to quantify because it doesn't really show up in the stats, but who else would be in this discussion?

How about one of the best ever. He's great. We've had several. If he reaches the NFL status of Steve Nelson, Phil Hansen, and Stacey Robinson...then I'll put him in that group. If he leads the Bison to a couple of national titles like Chris Simdorn, Tony Satter, Chad Stark, Jeff Bentrim...and yes...Charlie Stock did...then I'll put him in that elite group...and probably 20 or 30 others could be added. Oh yeah...there's Steve Walker, etc, etc, etc............................................... ............................................

stevdock
10-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Right now he is making the same IMPACT on the game that someone like Gratzek made last year. When Gratzek was in the game last year it was very difficult to run successfully between the tackles. When Williams was on the field last night I believe they only threw at him one time. It will be interesting to see how many teams challenge him the rest of the year.

Also not to take anything away from his return, but I thought we blocked up the kickoff returns very well last night and had a decent chance to score on each return last night except for DJ's last one.

Twentysix
10-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Right now he is making the same IMPACT on the game that someone like Gratzek made last year. When Gratzek was in the game last year it was very difficult to run successfully between the tackles. When Williams was on the field last night I believe they only threw at him one time. It will be interesting to see how many teams challenge him the rest of the year.

Also not to take anything away from his return, but I thought we blocked up the kickoff returns very well last night and had a decent chance to score on each return last night except for DJ's last one.

To bad cloning isnt legal... Could you imagine if he was both corners? :D

56BISON73
10-16-2011, 08:11 PM

Williams is good. But the greatest at this point?

Twentysix
10-16-2011, 09:37 PM

We have won 6 games in a row. Its either suicidal or estatic. People are the greatest or the worst here at bisonville. :D

Bison06
10-16-2011, 10:11 PM

I'm just asking the question to open it up for discussion, I have no doubt there are others who can be put ahead of him at this point in his career and I would love to hear about who they are and why you feel they are ahead of him in this conversation.

semobison
10-16-2011, 10:21 PM
He reminds me of Tyrone Braxton (All-Pro for Denver who was a DB and return guy for NDSU.) Braxton returned the opening kickoff about 80 yards in the 1985 National Championship Game and returned a punt for a TD (80+ yards) in the 1986 National Championship game. Also, during an NDSU v UND game, UND punted and their coverage guys all ran down and surrounded the ball. While they were waiting for it to stop moving, Tyrone snuck in, grabbed the ball and ran it back for a TD (hardest I've ever laughed at a football game.) Braxton also ran track and was very quick... great explosion.

I will never forget that play Braxton made against UND! He was a special player, 12 years in the NFL, played in one Pro Bowl! He still has the 7th best long jump in NDSU history at 24' 7"! Williams is only a soph. and at this point in his career he may be better than Tyrone was!

squarepeg
10-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Williams looks like NFL draft pick. I believe the big schools backed off him due to grade issues. Greatest ever is too soon to say.

Twentysix
10-16-2011, 10:24 PM
I am curious about one aspect, when people respond to that question.

Are you comparing Sophmore marcus williams who is 6 games into this season to past bison when they were a sophmore 6 games into the season or when they were probowlers in the nfl?

Comparing a sophomore to an NFL player isnt really fair.

BlueBisonRock
10-16-2011, 11:31 PM
I am curious about one aspect, when people respond to that question.

Are you comparing Sophmore marcus williams who is 6 games into this season to past bison when they were a sophmore 6 games into the season or when they were probowlers in the nfl?

Comparing a sophomore to an NFL player isnt really fair.

Good point. Perhaps we should hold the discussion until Marcus gets into the NFL (and I am confident he will).

Bison"FANatic"
10-16-2011, 11:42 PM
I don't know if he is the greatest???? Yet........... but it has been a long time since a Sophomore has made this big of impact. All I know is I have a blast watching him play the game. Just focusing on him on some plays is a blast to watch.

BisonNeil
10-17-2011, 12:17 AM
I can't believe the gophers let him get out of the cities. Its good for the Bison that Brewster was an idiot.

BCS schools can't take kids like Williams who wasn't academically eligible when he came here. He gray-shirted, which means he enrolled, payed his own way, had to become eligible on his own and couldn't practice with the team. Just like John Crockett is trying to do over a two year period. Besides, the academic standards at UMN are way higher than they are here at NDSU.

My guess is Bohl is hitting about .150 on these academically risky cases. He swung and missed with two offensive linemen early in his career (can't remember their names) and he went hitless with Danny Offerman. Dillion Forbes was a squeeze bump situation. He didn't clear, went the JUCO route, came back but got kicked off. William made it, Colvin just did also, I hope Crockett does also. There have been others who also did not make it but I can't remember their names.

The point is, if Marcus Williams and John Crockett hadn't had academic issues, they wouldn't be at NDSU.

tjbison
10-17-2011, 12:20 AM
BCS schools can't take kids like Williams who wasn't academically eligible when he came here. He gray-shirted, which means he enrolled, payed his own way, had to become eligible on his own and couldn't practice with the team. Just like John Crockett is trying to do over a two year period. Besides, the academic standards at UMN are way higher than they are here at NDSU.

My guess is Bohl is hitting about .150 on these academically risky cases. He swung and missed with two offensive linemen early in his career (can't remember their names) and he went hitless with Danny Offerman. Dillion Forbes was a squeeze bump situation. He didn't clear, went the JUCO route, came back but got kicked off. William made it, Colvin just did also, I hope Crockett does also. There have been others who also did not make it but I can't remember their names.

The point is, If Marcus Williams and John Crockett didn't have academic issues, they wouldn't be at NDSU.

I hope Marcus can play a year of BBall after he is done with his FB career here although I understand if the agents a draft people roll around you better take that opportunity

BisonTeacher
10-17-2011, 02:02 AM

The point is, if Marcus Williams and John Crockett hadn't had academic issues, they wouldn't be at NDSU.

I didnt know he had academic issues. That makes sense. However, if he didnt have academic issues, that doesnt mean Brewster would have been smart enough to recruit him!

Hopeful-Bison-Baller
10-17-2011, 02:12 AM
Williams looks like NFL draft pick. I believe the big schools backed off him due to grade issues. Greatest ever is too soon to say.

I always thought he came to NDSU because he wanted to play both football and basketball and NDSU said they would let him do that.

KilldeerBison
10-17-2011, 02:57 AM
Marcus needs to get more touches, he is a big play maker.

EndZoneQB
10-17-2011, 03:55 AM
I always thought he came to NDSU because he wanted to play both football and basketball and NDSU said they would let him do that.

That was reportedly part of it, but who really knows.

BlueBisonRock
10-17-2011, 04:00 AM
That was reportedly part of it, but who really knows.

All I can say is that I am damn happy he is and will continue to be a Bison!

THEsocalledfan
10-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Just out of curiousity, anyone know if he is taking the academics seriously? Learning from the Joe Mays example? One injury can so easily dash those dreams, so hoping he is taking advantage of the free education.

thundarsdaddy
10-17-2011, 04:02 PM

According to Senile Sid(Hartman), Williams and a few other Bison players could NOT gain entrance into the prestigious University of Minnesota, hence he signed with a "lower" school. I heard Sid say this with my very own ears, a week after the Gophers lost to the Bison, as his broadcast partner Dave razzed Sid about the Gopher loss!
Even Dave got a lil upset with the immature attitude Sid has these days.
Bad thing is, Sid not only dissed the Bison Football program, he also dissed NDSU's academic programs as well!!
I think we should quote Sids old college roomie..William Shakespeare, when he said...."Sid...Go'eth and Intercourse thyself!!"

CAS4127
10-17-2011, 07:01 PM
I will never forget that play Braxton made against UND! He was a special player, 12 years in the NFL, played in one Pro Bowl! He still has the 7th best long jump in NDSU history at 24' 7"! Williams is only a soph. and at this point in his career he may be better than Tyrone was!

MWill and Tyrone are/were very good players, but they are different in some respects (keep in mind I am only observing MWill and I played with Tyrone. First, MWill is actually a little bigger than Tyrone was, assuming what is stated in the program is accurate. Tyrone was faster than MWill--no quesition in my mind about that. MWill may be a better tackler than Tyrone at this stage in his career on comparative age basis, as he seems a little stronger. Tyrone was likely a better overall athlete than MWill as well (he was asked to try out for the BB team at one point, but didn't really pursue it to any degree), in that Tyrone could jump out of the stadium if he needed to, and, as others have mentioned, he was a great long jumper despite zero training. I think MWill has better hands than Tyrone did, and has an overall better sense for the field and endzone than Tyrone had at that stage of his career. Another difficult thing about attempting to compare the two is I really think Tyrone had an overall better supporting cast of players on the really good teams he played on. Every D player, and I mean every one of them/us was flat out determined on every play TOO MAKE THE PLAY, and if you took one misstep on a play that was supposed to be your tackle to make, the blood was in the water and you would have about 5 guys literally running you over to get to whoever had the ball.

Now for a couple of stories about Tyrone. First, in 85 when we barely snuck into the PO's, we got our asses handed to us by USD down there early in the season. Everyone remembers "the pitch" from our PO game against them down there, but, one play that does not get mentioned is a pick Tyrone had that was just flat our unreal. We were in cover 9, and my responsibility was 15 & 2 in the zone, picking up whomever might come in there, etc. Well, they ran an 18 yard out pattern with the WR on my side, and the defensive call was for me to fake a "return" blitz, which put me near the LOS. They snap the ball, I take off for my zone coverage assignment and the ball comes out when I am about half way there. I swear that ball was 12-13 feet high, and I slowed down a bit because it was "obvious" it was going over everyone's head and out of bounds. The WR makes his cut to the sideline, and kinda slows down too, and, out of nowhere, Tyrone comes flying in from his corner position and leaps up a intercepts that ball--it was uneffinbelievable and a thing of beauty. I would guess the ball was between 11-12 feet in the air when he picked it--just awesome, and a play very few people in the country could have made IMO.

Now for the best story on Tyrone. You know the UND punt return Tony and others have described? Well here is the rest of the story. I was one of the upbacks on the punt return team and was standing very near to the ball when Tyrone came through and picked it up. First, I think all the UND players standing around self-inflicted themselves with whiplash as their heads popped up a turned suddenly when Tyrone unexpectedly came through, and the best part--when Tyrone came through and was picking the ball up, he said, and I am not shitting you, "Beep, Beep"!!!! It was classic, as one of his nicknames was the "Roadrunner"!!! God that was fun!!!

Twentysix
10-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Beep beep. Lmfao. :D

344Johnson
10-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Now for the best story on Tyrone. You know the UND punt return Tony and others have described? Well here is the rest of the story. I was one of the upbacks on the punt return team and was standing very near to the ball when Tyrone came through and picked it up. First, I think all the UND players standing around self-inflicted themselves with whiplash as their heads popped up a turned suddenly when Tyrone unexpectedly came through, and the best part--when Tyrone came through and was picking the ball up, he said, and I am not shitting you, "Beep, Beep"!!!! It was classic, as one of his nicknames was the "Roadrunner"!!! God that was fun!!!

Tyone seems like quite the entertainer! I was at a wrestling tournement in Denver 6-7 years ago walking around in an NDSU wrestling t-shirt and he sees me walking(he was a motivational speaker, he is popular in the Denver area) and comes up to me and asks if I know who he is. I said, "Your Tyrone Braxton, you wore #22, and you are my favorite d-back ever." Definitely got that shirt hung up in my closet, his autograph right next to the NDSU logo.

I always thought MWill would be smaller than Tyrone but hey, CAS and most of you would have a better feel for size comparisons than I would.