PDA

View Full Version : What did we learn about the Bison in their game against Missouri State?

BisonNeil
10-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Kolpack would have us believe that the Bison coaches figured out how to play against a 3-4 defense. But, is that true?

The Missouri State defense lacked what the other 3-4 defenses have that the Bison have played thus far, and what UNI has, and that is a big prototypical nosepeg that controls the interior. The Missouri State nosepegs ran 267-280, not 300+ lbs like the others.

Overcoming that force in the middle was obviously a problem for the Bison OL with Lund at center so they moved a bigger more physical lineman to center, that being Austin Richard. But, this Missouri State 3-4 defense was not a good one, so I am not sure we have learned whether or not the Bison can line up offensively and play with the likes of a UNI 3-4 defense.

While the verdict is still out for me on that front, here is what I learned last night:

The Good

As stated elsewhere, Brock Jensen is coming into his own as a DI QB.

Marcus Williams is likely the best player in FCS, and he is only a Sophomore.

Ryan Smith is a tough kid and a huge player for the Bison despite his stature.

Austin Richard is the most vertsatile OL the Bison have had in quite some time.

Colter Boyer is having an All American season, in my opinion.

The Bad

The soft underbelly of the Bison defense was exposed against Missouri State. Clearly their worst effort of the season.

The front seven of the Bison D is still soft in the middle against the run.

I would be interested in learning what others "learned" about the Bison after this 'over the hump' game was played.

NDSUstudent
10-16-2011, 03:46 PM
I won't say anything is figured out yet but the play calling was much better. Brock is good enough to beat teams, it was nice to see us throwing some passes and completing them consistently while the defense sold out to stop the run. I think Kolpack said we passed on first down six straight times in the first half.

bri-dog
10-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I won't say anything is figured out yet but the play calling was much better. Brock is good enough to beat teams, it was nice to see us throwing some passes and completing them consistently while the defense sold out to stop the run. I think Kopack said we passed on first down six straight times in the first half.

He also said Coach Allen was surprised by that fact. That's not fair, is it? Actually calling plays that surprise the opposing coach?

bisonmike2
10-16-2011, 03:59 PM
How special is Marcus Williams? Every week he makes plays that make you shake your head and ask, "Did I just see that happen?" I didn't get to watch the game but I listened to most of it. I didn't hear his named called much which meant he was doing his job locking down his receiver. And then the kick-off. First kick off return and he houses it. This guy is something special and we get to watch him for another 2 1/2 years.

southcliffbison
10-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Speaking of the UNI nosepeg, he got hurt in the SDSU game; anyway he went out due to an injury and didn't come back according to a thread on Panthernation.
Don't know the extent of the injury and the thread didn't say if he'll lose any playing time.

bisoningrandforks
10-16-2011, 04:23 PM
we need Marcus back there on ALL kickoffs...its a no brainer...

BisoninNWMN
10-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Kolpack would have us believe that the Bison coaches figured out how to play against a 3-4 defense. But, is that true?

The Missouri State defense lacked what the other 3-4 defenses have that the Bison have played thus far, and what UNI has, and that is a big prototypical nosepeg that controls the interior. The Missouri State nosepegs ran 267-280, not 300+ lbs like the others.

Overcoming that force in the middle was obviously a problem for the Bison OL with Lund at center so they moved a bigger more physical lineman to center, that being Austin Richard. But, this Missouri State 3-4 defense was not a good one, so I am not sure we have learned whether or not the Bison can line up offensively and play with the likes of a UNI 3-4 defense.

While the verdict is still out for me on that front, here is what I learned last night:

The Good

As stated elsewhere, Brock Jensen is coming into his own as a DI QB.

Marcus Williams is likely the best player in FCS, and he is only a Sophomore.

Ryan Smith is a tough kid and a huge player for the Bison despite his stature.

Austin Richard is the most vertsatile OL the Bison have had in quite some time.

Colter Boyer is having an All American season, in my opinion.

The Bad

The soft underbelly of the Bison defense was exposed against Missouri State. Clearly their worst effort of the season.

The front seven of the Bison D is still soft in the middle against the run.

I would be interested in learning what others "learned" about the Bison after this 'over the hump' game was played.

I think having smaller LBers might be a reason. Joe Mays was 245 in the middle. Evans and Willson are both 220-225, along with Olson.....all are pretty small if you want a run stopping LBer.

Running the Tampa-2 and playing soft zone coverages, teams have passed against us and also have run straight up the middle. Looking at our roster of Lbers, there is not a big MLBer type.....just sayin.

tony
10-16-2011, 06:42 PM
The 3-4 isn't magic. NDSU looks bad against the 3-4 when our blockers get beat. When we play a team where our blockers block, NDSU can chew that offense up and spit it out. It's not the playcalling - it's matchups and how well the offensive line works together.

Heard on the radio that they moved Richard to center because he plays better when somebody is lined up over him - I can only guess that's because opposing players can get around him more easily than some of our other OL. Good luck getting through Austin though.

I think the pass defense looked bad because NDSU decided to play a soft zone to keep MSU from getting a big play. Not sure what the problem with the run is but it is NOT that our LBs weigh less than 245*. Crap, J.C. Sherrit from EWU is 5'10 and he still managed to get 15 tackles against NDSU (7 solo.) He could do that because he knew his job and he tackled properly. It's self-defeating to throw up your hands and say "We can't expect a 220 MLB to be able to defend the run," because if you actually buy that, then NDSU is screwed. Counter-example, if you put 195-lb Colten Heagle in front of a 240 RB, who do you think is going to win that battle? :) I except a Bison MLB to step up and stuff the run. Period.

* Even though NDSU is barely giving up 3 ypc, I agree - NDSU looks a little soft against the run.

PaBizon
10-16-2011, 06:47 PM
we need Marcus back there on ALL kickoffs...its a no brainer...

Returning kicks is very dangerous. I would hate to see him get hurt and not be available as the shut down corner he is. Valuable as a returner, yes. More valuable on the fileld for half the game as a defender. Now if you can guarentee he won't get touched like last night then have at it :)

Twentysix
10-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Looked like our pass defense all around sucked all day long.

I really think MSU could of won that game if they kept throwing over the middle. Very scary, hopefully their will be corrections made this week or sumner is gonna eat us alive.

How to beat the bison 101, pass all day long, dont ever throw at marcus williams.

BisoninNWMN
10-16-2011, 06:59 PM
The 3-4 isn't magic. NDSU looks bad against the 3-4 when our blockers get beat. When we play a team where our blockers block, NDSU can chew that offense up and spit it out. It's not the playcalling - it's matchups and how well the offensive line works together.

Heard on the radio that they moved Richard to center because he plays better when somebody is lined up over him - I can only guess that's because opposing players can get around him more easily than some of our other OL. Good luck getting through Austin though.

I think the pass defense looked bad because NDSU decided to play a soft zone to keep MSU from getting a big play. Not sure what the problem with the run is but it is NOT that our LBs weigh less than 245*. Crap, J.C. Sherrit from EWU is 5'10 and he still managed to get 15 tackles against NDSU (7 solo.) He could do that because he knew his job and he tackled properly. It's self-defeating to throw up your hands and say "We can't expect a 220 MLB to be able to defend the run," because if you actually buy that, then NDSU is screwed. Counter-example, if you put 195-lb Colten Heagle in front of a 240 RB, who do you think is going to win that battle? :) I except a Bison MLB to step up and stuff the run. Period.

* Even though NDSU is barely giving up 3 ypc, I agree - NDSU looks a little soft against the run.

Alittle?

You can bet UNI will run all over us if we do not get it in order. Wildcat offenses have given us trouble and Rennie is really good at running it. Indiana State and YSU have good RBs also and they will try to run the ball against us. WIU is also a power running team.

Where did I say I'm throwing my arms up with our LBers? They are smaller LBers. Your example of EWUs LB....ya, he was 5'11 but he was better than our LBers.

HoopsBison
10-16-2011, 07:26 PM

Bohl said the move to Richard for center was because the bigger nose guards were giving Lund trouble, so they moved Austin over to center. He did not say it was going to be permanent change but said it worked well and is possible.

KTF
10-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Not sure if it was noticable from the video stream or not but MSU ran a hurry up offense most if not all last night. Most times the ball was snap with more than 30-35 seconds left on the play clock. The two early touchdowns by MSU were missed assignments by Littlejohn. I am not sure why he was playing place of Jemison but he was. Jemison made some huge special teams efforts. The other problem seemed to be guys not staying home early in the game and MSU cathing them in it.

semobison
10-16-2011, 08:22 PM
What I hope we learned is that some times you need to throw to set up the run! All those quick outs to the sideline early softened MSU up in the middle! We had a nice offensive gameplan!

BadlandsBison
10-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Not sure if it was noticable from the video stream or not but MSU ran a hurry up offense most if not all last night. Most times the ball was snap with more than 30-35 seconds left on the play clock. The two early touchdowns by MSU were missed assignments by Littlejohn. I am not sure why he was playing place of Jemison but he was. Jemison made some huge special teams efforts. The other problem seemed to be guys not staying home early in the game and MSU cathing them in it.

They ran a no huddle pretty much the entire first half but stopped later in the game. Not sure why they stopped running the no huddle, they moved the ball very well it.

tjbison
10-16-2011, 08:43 PM
They ran a no huddle pretty much the entire first half but stopped later in the game. Not sure why they stopped running the no huddle, they moved the ball very well it.

We are a TERRIBLE hurry up no huddle team

KTF
10-16-2011, 08:44 PM
They ran a no huddle pretty much the entire first half but stopped later in the game. Not sure why they stopped running the no huddle, they moved the ball very well it. I wondered the same thing as NDSU couldn't rotate d-linemen fast enough. I am glad they gave it up though...

56BISON73
10-16-2011, 08:58 PM
I wondered the same thing as NDSU couldn't rotate d-linemen fast enough. I am glad they gave it up though...

Plus it looked as though the D was confused and didnt know how to line up. May be they were using different sets that they hadnt practiced against?

KTF
10-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Plus it looked as though the D was confused and didnt know how to line up. May be they were using different sets that they hadnt practiced against? It appeared to me that they were audibling out of one set to confuse the bears or show some thing different for upcoming DC's. It appeared on a few plays that both the bear and bison sides of the ball audibled out of the selected play at the same time. I think this is how MSU scored their first two TD's but would have to review the game to see.

IBleedYellow
10-16-2011, 09:04 PM
How great was Brock's audible call for DJ's rushing touchdown? He saw the blitz and audibled right out of it. When he ran off the field just as fast as DJ got to the Endzone I imagined a little kid running to his daddy going "I called us out of that! I audibled out! Did you see that?!"

*Image of jumping up and down kid here*

tjbison
10-16-2011, 09:07 PM
How great was Brock's audible call for DJ's rushing touchdown? He saw the blitz and audibled right out of it. When he ran off the field just as fast as DJ got to the Endzone I imagined a little kid running to his daddy going "I called us out of that! I audibled out! Did you see that?!"

*Image of jumping up and down kid here*

It was a great call

EndZoneQB
10-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Alittle?

You can bet UNI will run all over us if we do not get it in order. Wildcat offenses have given us trouble and Rennie is really good at running it. Indiana State and YSU have good RBs also and they will try to run the ball against us. WIU is also a power running team.

Where did I say I'm throwing my arms up with our LBers? They are smaller LBers. Your example of EWUs LB....ya, he was 5'11 but he was better than our LBers.

What wildcat offense has given us trouble? Look at MarQueis Gray's stats against us.

BisoninNWMN
10-16-2011, 10:32 PM
What wildcat offense has given us trouble? Look at MarQueis Gray's stats against us.

You're right....I meant the spread offenses. Teams that had a dual threat QB give us trouble.

yellowstreak
10-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Missouri State = cupcake
UNI beat them by 35 points
NDSU beat them by 30 points

tjbison
10-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Missouri State = cupcake
UNI beat them by 35 points
NDSU beat them by 30 points

we could have hung 60+ on them had we converted a couple turnovers

Twentysix
10-16-2011, 11:17 PM
we could have hung 60+ on them had we converted a couple turnovers

Esley thorton didnt even throw a pass...

We could of easily had 70 points if brock stayed in and we didnt run up the middle every play for the last 10 minutes.

HandoEX
10-16-2011, 11:24 PM
We scored 0 against MSU lady year and scored on our first eight possesions last night plus a KO return TD. Can't find a reason to be less than thrilled.

IzzyFlexion
10-16-2011, 11:34 PM
We scored 0 against MSU lady year and scored on our first eight possesions last night plus a KO return TD. Can't find a reason to be less than thrilled.

Hando is a real man!
Always thinkin' bout the ladies.

BlueBisonRock
10-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Hando is a real man!
Always thinkin' bout the ladies.

If you met him, you would understand why.

Checkout the extended stasche. Just sayin'.

semobison
10-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Just a couple of facts:
Thorton completed his only pass attempt for 5 yards.
We scored 17 points directly off turnovers. 10 in the 3rd qtr, and a TD in the 4th.
There were 5 lead changes in the 1st half.
Final total offense, NDSU 428, MSU 363.
Cupcake? I dont know! I guess thats your call!

IzzyFlexion
10-16-2011, 11:44 PM
If you met him, you would understand why.

Checkout the extended stasche. Just sayin'.

I had the pleasure of meeting the young Hando while in Minneapolis.
We had a very philosophical conversation about.........................boobs, I think?
[says to self: obsess much?]

tony
10-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Alittle?

The question to answer is: Why does the D seem soft against the run? Looking at that the stats, they seem pretty sturdy against the run but, yeah, that's just stats. Are our LBs not getting off blocks? Are they in the wrong position? Are they in the right position but the scheme leaves big holes?

Heck if I know... The defensive coaches will have to figure it out. I do know that strapping 25lb weights to our LBs is not the answer. :)

BadlandsBison
10-17-2011, 01:14 AM
The question to answer is: Why does the D seem soft against the run? Looking at that the stats, they seem pretty sturdy against the run but, yeah, that's just stats. Are our LBs not getting off blocks? Are they in the wrong position? Are they in the right position but the scheme leaves big holes?

Heck if I know... The defensive coaches will have to figure it out. I do know that strapping 25lb weights to our LBs is not the answer. :)

Poor defense against the spread has become an NDSU tradition:)

ndsubison1
10-17-2011, 04:55 AM
Does anybody know why we rotate our returners so much? is it because of consistency issues and were trying to find a set guy to have back there or just split it up between smith dj mwill and ojuri since the all play other positions as well? I think we should keep mwill back there because of his play making ability despite him being one of our stars on defense

NDSUFan_Sav
10-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Does anybody know why we rotate our returners so much? is it because of consistency issues and were trying to find a set guy to have back there or just split it up between smith dj mwill and ojuri since the all play other positions as well? I think we should keep mwill back there because of his play making ability despite him being one of our stars on defense

Ojuri didn't return on saturday (If I remember correctly). I noticed that as well though DJ was in there for every kick off and Mwill and Smith kept rotating every time. Even after Mwill housed one Smith came in and returned the next time around. I'm not sure if its to keep some players fresh, or get more people to have reps and use to the position for later on?

DJ had a nice block on the Kick Return that MWill housed, it looked to me DJ wasn't sure who he was gonna block when he went through the hole then he took a guy out, was really sweet.

CaBisonFan
10-17-2011, 11:32 AM
We're an extremely talented team with a wide spectrum of experience. The defensive players were recruited for athleticism & quickness in an effort to stop the wildcat/spread offenses (meaning UNI). We miss Gratzek very much...but there are guys developing. We need a healthy Eaves on the field. Brock is turning into a reliable leader and really has quite an arm. He has real intelligence and a feel for the game. He's bringing 'attitude' now. Refreshing after the last few years zzzzzzzzz.

The league presents a huge challenge each week. The offensive line has begun to adjust to the intensity that they must have for the rest of the year. They had their wakeup call at SIU. They can still be special.

We have the ability to win this conference.

stevdock
10-17-2011, 02:12 PM
I wonder if we would have one the National Championship last year if we would have put Ryan Smith into a WR position right away. The guy is very talented and when we actually get him into the slot against either LB's or Safeties watch out because he's going to be open on just about every play.

I'm not sold on our line blocking the 3-4 yet, but there was improvement with assignments. We'll have to see if that continues to improve. I really liked the pass protection especially when we went to the slide protection. Absolutely no penetration on those. I know we are pulling alot of linemen on the running plays but I wonder if we went back to more of a zone blocking scheme if that would take care of the problem against the 3-4 also.

As I said last week, we need to fix the defensive running game. Stats were very similar but need to improve to beat the good teams out there.

17>1
10-17-2011, 03:25 PM

IIRC, Ryan Smith tweaked a hamstring in practice last week. To me, that seemed like the logical reason DJ was back for a couple of punts and KO's. I don't agree that MWill should be returning kicks. To much of a chance he'll get hurt. However, it wad pretty exciting seeing that one brought back to the house for 6.

KilldeerBison
10-17-2011, 04:11 PM
One thing I learned, flipping two guys on our oline seemed to make a positive difference. Both Richard and Lund seemed to have a pretty solid game. I am impressed with Richard being able to, so easily, move to the center position, I know he's done it before, still I'm impressed.

344Johnson
10-17-2011, 04:20 PM
I think the Bison learned how to win big again. I don't think that the coaches learned much, but I think it is big for the players to dominate the guy across from them consistently, perhaps it will get some swagger back that has been missing since the Gopher game.

CAS4127
10-17-2011, 06:38 PM
IIRC, Ryan Smith tweaked a hamstring in practice last week. To me, that seemed like the logical reason DJ was back for a couple of punts and KO's. I don't agree that MWill should be returning kicks. To much of a chance he'll get hurt. However, it wad pretty exciting seeing that one brought back to the house for 6.

Have to disagree with this post (and others like it), nothing personal--MWill should be returning kickoffs and DJ should be returning punts. Back in "the glory years" Tyrone Braxton and Tony Satter did, and, I think all would agree they were both VERY important players for us. Plus, the logic isn't there, as in everyone saying/proclaiming Smith to be our version of WWelker. If that is the case, isn't he (Smith) too important to have returning kickoffs/punts too, because of the risk of injury??!!! Think about it!

EndZoneQB
10-17-2011, 06:57 PM
What we learned is that Travis Beck will be the new starting SAM LB!!!! Jemison will be backing up Chad Willson.

bisonmike2
10-17-2011, 06:59 PM
M-Will makes plays. When we need a big play we shouldn't hesitate to get him into the game. Maybe not every kick off or punt, but when the team needs a spark, he can provide it. Plus Bohl has mention in multiple Bohl Shows that M-Will is beggin to go back and return punts and kicks and they finally let him do it. I love that. He knows he can make big plays and he wants to go and do it.

Bison"FANatic"
10-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Have to disagree with this post (and others like it), nothing personal--MWill should be returning kickoffs and DJ should be returning punts. Back in "the glory years" Tyrone Braxton and Tony Satter did, and, I think all would agree they were both VERY important players for us. Plus, the logic isn't there, as in everyone saying/proclaiming Smith to be our version of WWelker. If that is the case, isn't he (Smith) too important to have returning kickoffs/punts too, because of the risk of injury??!!! Think about it!

I guess I wouldn't put Williams back there regularly during the regular season. A shut down corner is a commodity that isn't replaceable. I just don't think the risk/reward is justified. Losing a shut down corner causes so many options to be lost to the defense. It makes it so much harder to bring a Safety down to help stop the run. Or we can bring the opposite corner on a blitz and roll the safety over to cover that area or his man. Right now if we have to leave Williams out on his own we can and that makes the rest of the defenders better and makes this defense very hard to defend. As for the Smith comparison, I don't think you can compare the #2 receiver to not just the #1 cornerback but a shutdown cornerback, the #2 receiver would be easier to replace in my opinion. We will disagree but this D would be not nearly as good without Williams and I don't think it is worth the risk (Until Playoffs come around).

CAS4127
10-17-2011, 07:24 PM
OK, here are a couple of my observations/thoughts on the game.

In general, I am not convinced we have figured out how to attack a "GOOD" 3-4 defense. MSU was very bad and just did not have the LB's to run that defense well. We will learn more in the next 2-3 weeks. Second, and has been pointed out, our D is soft up the middle on the run and at and between the hashmarks to about 25 yards deep on the pass. I know the latter is typical to an extent with the Tampa 2, but that can and should be "necked down" ASAP, just like it can be. On the run, our LB's just get a little "soft" at contact. What I mean is they come in fairly strong, but then don't finishe strong, resulting in YAC and or brocken tackles. Also, and this is true for many of out D players, WE NEED TO START WRAPPING OUR ARMS WHEN TACKLING!!!!!! Don't just throw a shoulder on someone and expect them to go down. These arent' scout team players you are "tackling" and that style of tackling WILL NOT BRING DOWN BIG BACKS!!

Now, was it just me, or did I see some things on offense that have been discussed here on BV? First, the "cadence" of our offense was faster. If I am not mistaken, we huddled closer to the ball, and our O-linemen would turn to the ball take three or so quick steps, and we were ready to roll, with Brock getting the snap off quicker as well. Second, I think DJ and Sam gotta a talkin to abou the pre-LOS stutter steps and were told to "get up in there" and get some yards and let things break open rather than trying to go big every effin play. Seeing Lang in there early (or at least earlier) in the game suggests that getting up into the hole was a priority in practice last week, and, it seemed to work. We also saw a flexed TE a bunch of times, which is an effective way to "stretch" out a 3-4. I still want to see a slow motion play on the blocking scheme of the run play out of that formation. I saw that the FB blocked backside, but I just couldn't tell what the overall blocking scheme was. BTW, we ran that particular running play out of the flex formation WAY too many times, and it really was not all that effective.

I also saw much more use of the TE down the seem AND on crossing and drag patterns. HELLO!!!! ABOUT TIME AGAINST A 3-4. Brock played really well. His only "miss" on the night was Veldmen down the seem wide open with no one within 10-15 yards of him. Brock was pressured a little on the play, but his pre-snap read was likely a mismatch with Veldmen.

Overall, a game we should have one big and did. I haven't booked my tickets to Frisco yet, and I have not yet volunteered to dust off a spot in the trophy hanger for the 2011 MVFC trophy!!

ndsubison1
10-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Even the best teams in the country put their biggest play makers at returner. regardless if they're already starting at other positions. Florida puts chris rainey one of their starting rb at kr and pr. Lsu did it last year with their shut down corner in Patrick Peterson. I think we should do the same with MWill

BadlandsBison
10-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Even the best teams in the country put their biggest play makers at returner. regardless if they're already starting at other positions. Florida puts chris rainey one of their starting rb at kr and pr. Lsu did it last year with their shut down corner in Patrick Peterson. I think we should do the same with MWill

I'm good with Marcus on kick return, he's a playmaker. Personally I would keep Smith at punt returner, I think he's done well.

56BISON73
10-17-2011, 10:40 PM
OK, here are a couple of my observations/thoughts on the game.

In general, I am not convinced we have figured out how to attack a "GOOD" 3-4 defense. MSU was very bad and just did not have the LB's to run that defense well. We will learn more in the next 2-3 weeks. Second, and has been pointed out, our D is soft up the middle on the run and at and between the hashmarks to about 25 yards deep on the pass. I know the latter is typical to an extent with the Tampa 2, but that can and should be "necked down" ASAP, just like it can be. On the run, our LB's just get a little "soft" at contact. What I mean is they come in fairly strong, but then don't finishe strong, resulting in YAC and or brocken tackles. Also, and this is true for many of out D players, WE NEED TO START WRAPPING OUR ARMS WHEN TACKLING!!!!!! Don't just throw a shoulder on someone and expect them to go down. These arent' scout team players you are "tackling" and that style of tackling WILL NOT BRING DOWN BIG BACKS!!

Now, was it just me, or did I see some things on offense that have been discussed here on BV? First, the "cadence" of our offense was faster. If I am not mistaken, we huddled closer to the ball, and our O-linemen would turn to the ball take three or so quick steps, and we were ready to roll, with Brock getting the snap off quicker as well. Second, I think DJ and Sam gotta a talkin to abou the pre-LOS stutter steps and were told to "get up in there" and get some yards and let things break open rather than trying to go big every effin play. Seeing Lang in there early (or at least earlier) in the game suggests that getting up into the hole was a priority in practice last week, and, it seemed to work. We also saw a flexed TE a bunch of times, which is an effective way to "stretch" out a 3-4. I still want to see a slow motion play on the blocking scheme of the run play out of that formation. I saw that the FB blocked backside, but I just couldn't tell what the overall blocking scheme was. BTW, we ran that particular running play out of the flex formation WAY too many times, and it really was not all that effective.

I also saw much more use of the TE down the seem AND on crossing and drag patterns. HELLO!!!! ABOUT TIME AGAINST A 3-4. Brock played really well. His only "miss" on the night was Veldmen down the seem wide open with no one within 10-15 yards of him. Brock was pressured a little on the play, but his pre-snap read was likely a mismatch with Veldmen.

Overall, a game we should have one big and did. I haven't booked my tickets to Frisco yet, and I have not yet volunteered to dust off a spot in the trophy hanger for the 2011 MVFC trophy!!

One thing bothers me about the D. Many times they seem to go for the ball first. Instead of the first defender wrapping him up and then the second defender going for the ball. Plus the first defender is going for the blow up tackle which in itself will get you burned sooner or later.

HoopsBison
10-21-2011, 04:04 AM
One thing I learned, flipping two guys on our oline seemed to make a positive difference. Both Richard and Lund seemed to have a pretty solid game. I am impressed with Richard being able to, so easily, move to the center position, I know he's done it before, still I'm impressed.

Agreed, its pretty impressive in the fact that Austin has been able to play anywhere on the line when asked. Hes played OT,OG and C...