PDA

View Full Version : Brock Jensen is the man!

THEsocalledfan
10-16-2011, 02:29 AM
We are not worthy.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9FDH1LdPm6U/SczlhjFeVNI/AAAAAAAAD2Q/OFLhjFsZlTM/s400/Not+worthy!.jpg

Believe it or not, but I don't even have anything else to say. His play spoke for itself.

BisonTeacher
10-16-2011, 02:33 AM
He played really well. His first incompletion was only to avoid the defender. Hes really developing into a good QB.

THEsocalledfan
10-16-2011, 02:36 AM
He played really well. His first incompletion was only to avoid the defender. Hes really developing into a good QB.

Good? That is the best you can do? Did you watch a different game?

semobison
10-16-2011, 02:38 AM
His best game as a Bison! If he can continue to play at this level its going to be a fun 2 1/2 years! I like what we did offensively. The quick sideline passes were open early and we took them. We threw to set up the run, then the run set up the play action throws deep!

tony
10-16-2011, 02:40 AM
Checked out the SIU stats and it looks like Brock completed his last 4 passes (1 TD) against SIU - 19 consecutive completions!

If the OL gives him time, he has the receivers to get it done.

BisonTeacher
10-16-2011, 02:42 AM

I didn't want to jinx it!!!!

G_Funky
10-16-2011, 02:43 AM
Brock's got a great head on his shoulder and the kid's a competitor. Awesome to see him play as well as he did and see the offense fire on all cylinders.

PaBizon
10-16-2011, 04:42 AM
I have to admit that I was not on the "Brock is the real deal" train (Even after the Goofer game). He has certainly (to this point) been everything you could ask for as your qb. After last year I thought he would be average at best by the time he was a Senior. He has been spot on with his passrs and even better seems to make the right decision when it comes to passing or pulling it down to run. If he continues to improve (ie ... a come from behind last minute win or two) we just might have another Walker on our hands.

DjKyRo
10-16-2011, 05:04 AM
Anyone REALLY excited for what he and Vraa can do once the latter is back?

CaBisonFan
10-16-2011, 06:25 AM

We're seeing some early signs of greatness in Brock. He gives us a chance in every game that we play. Wait until he gets all of his receivers back. We're seeing the development of several really outstanding players on both sides of the ball. Maybe it's a bit early...but indications are that we are...loaded. This group could develop into something really special. Tonight felt like a Bison football game. Wear 'em down for a while...then beat them to submission. Then watch the opponent's player get angry and loose their cool. I love it.

May the stars line up...and may the injuries be minimal.

JustinTyem
10-16-2011, 06:34 AM
I told you so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The minute he took his scolly from bohl,I told all you guys and gals that he was and will be special!!!

WYOBISONMAN
10-16-2011, 06:35 AM
An outstanding perfomance......we sure all enjoyed watching him here in WYO!

WRSDBison
10-16-2011, 08:12 AM
I seem to remember many people calling for his head because he "stared down receivers" too much. I called everyone out. Yeah, I might be tooting my own horn but it's because too many people on this board have no long term discretion. 4mcrue being the first.

TheBisonator
10-16-2011, 08:23 AM
I seem to remember many people calling for his head because he "stared down receivers" too much. I called everyone out. Yeah, I might be tooting my own horn but it's because too many people on this board have no long term discretion. 4mcrue being the first.

I remember Mertens staring down receivers. I don't think I've seen Brock do too much of that.

WRSDBison
10-16-2011, 08:42 AM
I remember Mertens staring down receivers. I don't think I've seen Brock do too much of that.

I'm not saying Brock has, but go back and read stuff from the beginning of the year. Many people on this board had written Brock off after one game. It was absolutely ridiculous.

semobison
10-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Brock was outstanding last night! If he continues to play at that level we are going to be tough to beat! Ultimately he will be judged on how far he can take this team. When we talk about great NDSU quarterbacks the names of Bentrim, Simdorn, and Walker come up. What did they have in common? for Bentrim and Simdorn, National championships, for Walker, back to back 10-1 seasons! What Brock showed us last night is he is capable of playing great! Lets see where he can take us!

steelbison
10-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Great game by Brock. Actually he's quietly having a great season. He's really improved his mechanics and he's getting better at reading coverages everyday. Let's not forget he's only a soph!!!!

phxbison
10-16-2011, 03:19 PM
You would think that I would have learned my lesson back when Simdorn was a freshman. After watching him in his freshman year, I thought that he just was'nt going to be very good.
I made the same mistake after watching Brock last year as a freshman. I just thought he was going to be an average quarterback throughout his career. Boy was I wrong he is doing some amazing things both with his arm and his feet. He is going to be special ! What great field awareness he has.

chuckles
10-16-2011, 03:43 PM

Last season he did stare down his key receiver. This can be attributed to two things, IMO. The first being it was his first season and his level of comfort at the QB position wasn't there. He was still getting used to the plays and making adjustments on the fly when reading the defense. The second being he wasn't given a ton of time to check down receivers and make the right throw. Much credit this season goes out to the O-line for giving him that additional time so he can check down. Brock has really matured as a player and it is showing! JENSEN FOR PRESIDENT!

bisoningrandforks
10-16-2011, 03:55 PM
justintyem I said the same thing 2 years ago that Brock will be 3 yr starter......sometimes we are quick to judge young players...some have it, some develop into outstanding players, some don't....maybe I should wait with this until next year(just my opinion)...watching film....Wentz will pass Thorton on the depth chart....any thoughts?....

TbonZach
10-16-2011, 04:02 PM

I was one of them who was calling him out for staring them down, although I don't think I was calling for his head. While he still does (all be it A LOT less, and as do many QB's), he definitely made a believer of me last night. As long as the OL can hold together this is going to be a great year for Bison football.

IBleedYellow
10-16-2011, 05:21 PM
My father and I go "Has Brock thrown an incomplete pass yet?!" Then the next play was. We will take the blame for this one, guys.

But in all seriousness, I have always liked Brock, he scrambles well when the pocket starts collapsing, and most of the time he has a wise enough head on him to LOOK DOWN FIELD and make the play. There was only one play that I can recall in which he didn't look down field, and that's when he was running from their entire O line.

ndsubison1
10-16-2011, 06:30 PM
not only was brock fantastic yesterday but lets give some credit to the hogs. The OL was stellar in pass protection. Brock had all the time in the world, almost too much time. He made some nice reads and threw some great balls. I believe he was 15-15 in the first half. That 96? yard drive was awesome. We won the time of possession by about 15 min

TheBisonator
10-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Anyone doubting Brock last year, just remember that freshman QB's that start in their first year AND look special are as rare as the survivors of the Jehova's Witnesses Apocalypse. Most FBS teams, let alone FCS teams, aren't usually gonna see a Taylor Martinez type QB come in their freshman year and light it up. (BTW, Nebraska hit the f-ing jackpot with that kid)

JustinTyem
10-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Anyone doubting Brock last year, just remember that freshman QB's that start in their first year AND look special are as rare as the survivors of the Jehova's Witnesses Apocalypse. Most FBS teams, let alone FCS teams, aren't usually gonna see a Taylor Martinez type QB come in their freshman year and light it up. (BTW, Nebraska hit the f-ing jackpot with that kid)To bad he cant throw for shit. He can run,but throwing is his down fall.

TheBisonator
10-16-2011, 07:24 PM
To bad he cant throw for shit. He can run,but throwing is his down fall.

Kid can escape from anything, but you're right, his arm is turrible.

JustinTyem
10-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Kid can escape from anything, but you're right, his arm is turrible.He is kind fun to watch when he runs out of a collapse pocket. Kinda Houdini like,one minute he's there, then he is gone down field!!! :)

bisonfan11
10-17-2011, 01:30 AM
I was reading the Forum and it said that Brock was audibling plays at the LOS. To me that is a big deal, especially since Jensen is only a SOPHOMORE! For Jensen to audible that means that Jensen can already see the weaknesses of a defense at the LOS. Then again Walker's sophomore year was average, but he blew up in both his junior and senior seasons. Just think of how good Jensen will be by then. (Oh yeah I also like that Jensen is not running as much, but running when necessary)

tjbison
10-17-2011, 02:57 AM
I was reading the Forum and it said that Brock was audibling plays at the LOS. To me that is a big deal, especially since Jensen is only a SOPHOMORE! For Jensen to audible that means that Jensen can already see the weaknesses of a defense at the LOS. Then again Walker's sophomore year was average, but he blew up in both his junior and senior seasons. Just think of how good Jensen will be by then. (Oh yeah I also like that Jensen is not running as much, but running when necessary)

one audible got us a TD

THEsocalledfan
10-17-2011, 01:56 PM
one audible got us a TD

Agreed. I was watching back the game last night, and the DJ run, where he was untouched, I am pretty sure was a audible. He saw the blitz coming on his left, and new there would be very little in the middle of the field. That was gall darn awesome.

One other thing, the second bomb to Holloway; you just can't understate how good a play that was. He was being pressured, and had to evade pressure first, then steps into a throw, while the pocket is collapsing, and it is perfect. He looked like Bret Favre during his prime on that play. He is starting to learn when it is worth taking a chance, just like the throw to Veldman for the SIU win.

bisonsupporter
10-17-2011, 02:19 PM
1) Brock is still staring down receivers
2) Brock had a great game against the worse defense in the conference
3) Brock did miss some completely wide open receivers, te, and rb. Holloway in the endzone, Veldman running a go route, Dj on the play where he scrambled for 20 seconds. Which I give him all the credit for keeping that play alive.
4) Brock has asserted himself as QB1 above Easly. That was not the case at spring ball.
5) Brock's audibles lets me know that he is grasping the concept of the offense and is getting comfortable.
All in all Brock did a great job of managing the game and controlling the passing game. But lets not forget NDSU offense is Power. That means we run the ball. The run will only help Brock improve.

SDbison
10-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Brock is looking good, but will not be "the man" until he leads the Bison to victories over SDSU, UNI and Indiana State. I just hope Brock has a chance to do so and is not held back by some conservative, predictable play calling by Vigen. Also, Vigen will be "the man" if he can go 3-0 in the next few games and will then have my complete support. The Bison need to bring their A game, and then some, every week until the end of the season. Home field in the playoffs is a big deal.

THEsocalledfan
10-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Brock is looking good, but will not be "the man" until he leads the Bison to victories over SDSU, UNI and Indiana State. I just hope Brock has a chance to do so and is not held back by some conservative, predictable play calling by Vigen. Also, Vigen will be "the man" if he can go 3-0 in the next few games and will then have my complete support. The Bison need to bring their A game, and then some, every week until the end of the season. Home field in the playoffs is a big deal.

Certainly understand the perspective, but I could easily see a scenario where both Brock and Vigen do very, very well, and only go 2-1 in those games. Does that mean they failed?

Just trying to be realistic as even the mighty Steve Walker "failed" at SDSU using that high a bar.

SDbison
10-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Certainly understand the perspective, but I could easily see a scenario where both Brock and Vigen do very, very well, and only go 2-1 in those games. Does that mean they failed?

Just trying to be realistic as even the mighty Steve Walker "failed" at SDSU using that high a bar.
I was going to reserve the right to give them credit if there was a loss.......just wasn't going to jinx them like you just did. Also, the loss can't be to SDSU or UNI.

bisonfan08
10-17-2011, 07:05 PM
1) Brock is still staring down receivers
2) Brock had a great game against the worse defense in the conference
3) Brock did miss some completely wide open receivers, te, and rb. Holloway in the endzone, Veldman running a go route, Dj on the play where he scrambled for 20 seconds. Which I give him all the credit for keeping that play alive.4) Brock has asserted himself as QB1 above Easly. That was not the case at spring ball.
5) Brock's audibles lets me know that he is grasping the concept of the offense and is getting comfortable.
All in all Brock did a great job of managing the game and controlling the passing game. But lets not forget NDSU offense is Power. That means we run the ball. The run will only help Brock improve.

THIS! I have been a fan of Brock and have thought the kid has a chance to be special since he got here. He played a great game, made some great throws and kept some plays alive with his legs. The big thing he can do to get better is keep his eyes down field and get through his progressions quicker. He missed Holloway wide open on a play and another one he made a great effort avoiding the sack and rolled out of the pocket and had Veldman all alone in the back of the endzone and didn't see him. Granted he didn't make negative plays and didn't turn the ball over, but a little more aggressive and a little less conservative and he's gonna be great.

17>1
10-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Brock looked like "The Man" on Saturday. Showed a lot of fire on a couple of instances. I'll bring up the latter time in which he ran for a first down late in the game and nearly scored. Missed it by a half yard. Got up and looked to Bison nation and started waving his arms like "make some noise". The first instance I don't think has been brought up at all so it's merely something I think I saw. On his first QB sneak for a TD, did anyone notice him tell the sub coming in after the previous play to go back to the sideline? He lined everyone up real quick, snuck in, threw the ball towards the ref and ran off the field. Then coach Bohl got in his face. I think a different play was coming in and he did his own thing. Just my opinion, but coach and some others didn't look very happy about something. He's taking this team on his back and I love it. Go Bison.

344Johnson
10-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Brock looked like "The Man" on Saturday. Showed a lot of fire on a couple of instances. I'll bring up the latter time in which he ran for a first down late in the game and nearly scored. Missed it by a half yard. Got up and looked to Bison nation and started waving his arms like "make some noise". The first instance I don't think has been brought up at all so it's merely something I think I saw. On his first QB sneak for a TD, did anyone notice him tell the sub coming in after the previous play to go back to the sideline? He lined everyone up real quick, snuck in, threw the ball towards the ref and ran off the field. Then coach Bohl got in his face. I think a different play was coming in and he did his own thing. Just my opinion, but coach and some others didn't look very happy about something. He's taking this team on his back and I love it. Go Bison.

Obviously he was mad that it took so long to get in the endzone.

SDbison
10-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Two things I really like about Brock.......his fire / intensity for the game and his ability to make some very good decisions for a Sophomore. He will continue to loosen up and at the same time can hopefully still keep mistakes to a minimum. Just think of the upside as his knowledge, confidence and leadership matures over the next two and a half years!

Bison"FANatic"
10-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Well if they were mad at Brock for calling the sneak the coaches better be pissed at themselves for the way they handled timeouts last weekend. That two minute offense was painful to watch and see it end with Brock standing there with his arms out wondering what to call as the last 19 seconds ticked off the clock. Then in the second half we get a big pass and we can't get the next play in from the sideline and have to take a time out. What a momentum killer. Bohl seemed to be giving someone a earful on the headset after a few of those missteps, he did not look happy.

Back to the sneak play, that was the absolute right call. I don't know how we can have the ball on the 6 inch line and think the right thing to do is hand it to the back 5 yards deep.

CAS4127
10-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Well if they were mad at Brock for calling the sneak the coaches better be pissed at themselves for the way they handled timeouts last weekend. That two minute offense was painful to watch and see it end with Brock standing there with his arms out wondering what to call as the last 19 seconds ticked off the clock. Then in the second half we get a big pass and we can't get the next play in from the sideline and have to take a time out. What a momentum killer. Bohl seemed to be giving someone a earful on the headset after a few of those missteps, he did not look happy.

Back to the sneak play, that was the absolute right call. I don't know how we can have the ball on the 6 inch line and think the right thing to do is hand it to the back 5 yards deep.

Especially when the center is not covered. Should be an automatic default for Brock to keep/sneak when that is the case and we need only a yard or two.

tony
10-24-2011, 04:26 PM
If Bohl was in his face, it was probably reminding him that picking up a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty on the .5 yard line is not a good idea.

THEsocalledfan
10-24-2011, 05:16 PM
If Bohl was in his face, it was probably reminding him that picking up a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty on the .5 yard line is not a good idea.

Guess I am not following. How he flipped the ball to the ref?

tony
10-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Guess I am not following. How he flipped the ball to the ref?

I thought somebody posted the he was motioning to the crowd to get them pumped up.

THEsocalledfan
10-24-2011, 05:30 PM
I thought somebody posted the he was motioning to the crowd to get them pumped up.

That was not when he got "talked to" by Bohl. It was after the first sneak touchdown. He did nothing worth flagging and I loved it. He was like Jared Allen and he knew we just gave SDSU the right cross they will not be able to recover from.

Bohl said on his show, he was "encouraging" Brock, but I agree he had something in his craw.....

17>1
10-24-2011, 05:49 PM

Agreed. Not saying at all that Brock made a bad call in this situation. I just don't think it went the way as maybe Bohl would have liked. Clearly, something got Bohl fired up in that very play even though we just put 6 on the board. I guess the reason I brought it up is because Brock just took the entire situation on himself and did it, regardless of the consequences. I don't think a day goes by that he doesn't think about how he personally felt after the EWU game. Kid is on a mission this year, and I just love it.

And to quickly touch on the 4th down before half. Going into the locker room up 10-0 on the road against a big rival is great. Why try to do too much in that situation? I gotta believe Bohl looked at the situation and was pretty content.

CAS4127
10-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Agreed. Not saying at all that Brock made a bad call in this situation. I just don't think it went the way as maybe Bohl would have liked. Clearly, something got Bohl fired up in that very play even though we just put 6 on the board. I guess the reason I brought it up is because Brock just took the entire situation on himself and did it, regardless of the consequences. I don't think a day goes by that he doesn't think about how he personally felt after the EWU game. Kid is on a mission this year, and I just love it.

And to quickly touch on the 4th down before half. Going into the locker room up 10-0 on the road against a big rival is great. Why try to do too much in that situation? I gotta believe Bohl looked at the situation and was pretty content.

Bold: WRONG!! Our sideline was a clusterf**k. We were trying to get plays in, players were shrugging their arms/shoulders like WTF is going on. Bohl was yelling into his headset, etc. We were "trying" to get plays in and off and move the ball for at least a field goal. It was pathetic, and I hope to god whoever was responsible for that BS gets a severe ass chewing.

SDbison
10-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Yep, the coaches better get their shit together for the rest of the season. No reason that a situations like that are not in control. Also no reason a QB can't be given the responsibility to run a set of plays for the two minute offense. Should run like clockwork. Vigen.......its on you again.

EndZoneQB
10-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Especially when the center is not covered. Should be an automatic default for Brock to keep/sneak when that is the case and we need only a yard or two.

Maybe this is exactly why Brock took the play on his shoulders and made a call. Vigen probably picked a slow developing, deep run/pass play and Brock knew he and his offensive line was tougher and stronger than the defenders.

17>1
10-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Bold: WRONG!! Our sideline was a clusterf**k. We were trying to get plays in, players were shrugging their arms/shoulders like WTF is going on. Bohl was yelling into his headset, etc. We were "trying" to get plays in and off and move the ball for at least a field goal. It was pathetic, and I hope to god whoever was responsible for that BS gets a severe ass chewing.

I think you may be misunderstanding me a little bit. I was simply referring to 4th down and whatever it was with like 16 seconds to go til half. It's a unique situation to be in. Do you call a timeout to maybe try a hail mary? Or call a TO to pick up a first down? Do you punt? SDSU had no intention of stopping the clock, so why give them ball in that situation with a turnover, loss of downs, or a punt. I think letting the clock run out on the 4th down play was fine and I think under the circumstances, Bohl was ok with it. On the other hand, I do agree that the 2 minute drill sucked. There does need to be something in place for a hurry up offense. Having a huddle while the clock is ticking down under a minute befuddled me and was probably causing a litle frustration on the sidelines. But you have to agree with me on this, that a turnover right before half while up 10-0 on the road against your biggest rival would not be a good thing, so why allow it to happen? We had momentum, don't give any of it back, especially when we'd be getting the ball again to start the 2nd half.

CAS4127
10-24-2011, 11:00 PM
@8>1<CAS4127: yes, we were talking about different things. By the time we got to 4th down Bolh was ready for halftime, that's accurate.

CarringtonBison
10-24-2011, 11:04 PM
That last play, IIRC, we had no time outs left. I was expecting them to go to the line and snap it with under 5 seconds left. Hail Mary to the end zone. Obviously at that time a FG was out of play, but why not give someone a chance in the end zone.

Before the obvious Marquis Gray analogy, Gray's pass was horrific and poorly time/performed. A well thrown hail mary play has little to no chance of causing problems.

But given the confusion at that time, the best play was no play and go to halftime up.

JustinTyem
10-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Who's the Man now???????????? BROCK "THE ROCK" JENSEN!!!!!!!!! NUFF SAID!!!!!

THEsocalledfan
10-29-2011, 11:35 PM
And folks said I was premature.

I have one word to say: BULLSHIT!!!!!

JustinTyem
10-29-2011, 11:36 PM
And folks said I was premature.

I have one word to say: BULLSHIT!!!!!Ditto, TSCF. We know one, when we see one!!!!

ndsubison1
10-30-2011, 12:18 AM
brock solidified himself today

DjKyRo
10-30-2011, 12:27 AM
22/25 against the second best scoring defense in the country. 'Nuff said.

THEsocalledfan
10-30-2011, 12:29 AM
I said it last year after the first game he got in on Bison Rewind. I had fun remind Ryan about that today.

I loved how he brushed aside my comments on hating them like UND and being mad it was not on FSN.

Strommer10
10-30-2011, 03:03 AM
22/25 against the second best scoring defense in the country. 'Nuff said.
That is more than impressive. Our passing game is night and day from what it was last year. Not to mention we have caught the ball a lot better this year. Some of those catches where we were hit right after the ball got there, would've been dropped last year.

bri-dog
10-30-2011, 05:34 AM
I posted a couple weeks ago the term "Brock Solid", and I think that defines him so far. In fact, that might be an understatement.

Did anyone else happen to nice this play? I just watched it again and am amazed at his presence. Watch it again if you recorded it:

3:10 to go in the third quarter. Brock drops back, rolls to his right, has all day, and almost stops. I think he was trying to bait the D into thinking a whistle had blown. Nobody got open so it was only a 3 or 4 yard gain, but if one of our receiver had worked harder it could have been a big one.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought that was a pretty heady play..

EightyfourBison
10-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Saw that one, thought it looked strange. Not sure what had happened at the time.
Man my throat is sore.
Brock is putting it on the money and the receivers are finishing the job.
Did I say yet that my throat is sore?
I posted a couple weeks ago the term "Brock Solid", and I think that defines him so far. In fact, that might be an understatement.

Did anyone else happen to nice this play? I just watched it again and am amazed at his presence. Watch it again if you recorded it:

3:10 to go in the third quarter. Brock drops back, rolls to his right, has all day, and almost stops. I think he was trying to bait the D into thinking a whistle had blown. Nobody got open so it was only a 3 or 4 yard gain, but if one of our receiver had worked harder it could have been a big one.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought that was a pretty heady play..

WRSDBison
10-30-2011, 05:01 PM
That is more than impressive. Our passing game is night and day from what it was last year. Not to mention we have caught the ball a lot better this year. Some of those catches where we were hit right after the ball got there, would've been dropped last year.

Brock is throwing way better this year than either him or Mohler did last year. I honestly think that has a lot to do with dropped passes.

bri-dog
10-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Brock is throwing way better this year than either him or Mohler did last year. I honestly think that has a lot to do with dropped passes.

And the fact that he's getting a lot of time. Since I never played offensive line, I asked this question last year; can't remember if I got a good answer or not:

Is it easier for the O-linemen to block when they have an idea where their QB is going to be? Mohler tended to scramble at the first sign of pressure (usually backwards); Brock stays in the pocket, steps up, and either throws or tucks it and runs (except for designed rollouts, of course). I think they took a lot of sacks last year where the linemen just didn't know where to push their guy.

Or, maybe not. I don't know...:)

stevdock
10-30-2011, 05:29 PM
And the fact that he's getting a lot of time. Since I never played offensive line, I asked this question last year; can't remember if I got a good answer or not:

Is it easier for the O-linemen to block when they have an idea where their QB is going to be? Mohler tended to scramble at the first sign of pressure (usually backwards); Brock stays in the pocket, steps up, and either throws or tucks it and runs (except for designed rollouts, of course). I think they took a lot of sacks last year where the linemen just didn't know where to push their guy.

Mohler would consistently spin into those d-ends and it would be an easy sack. We don't do a whole lot with moving the pocket so the OT's job is to form that pocket and the interior line is to hold the pocket strong. Once the pocket is formed the QB has to TRUST the line to do their job. That trust was NOT there last year. Plus this year we are seeing much better route running and SEPARATION so then Brock can TRUST the WR/RB/TE to do their job and he's just picking teams apart because everyone is able to do their jobs right now.

Plus don't underestimate the job that DJ is doing on blitz pick up. He consistently stands up the blitzer and gives that last piece of protection that Brock needs.

WRSDBison
10-30-2011, 05:38 PM

I've never played Oline either, but I would have to assume that it is a hell of a lot easier to block for a QB that will stay in the pocket. That's why pocket presence is such a big quality for a QB.

THEsocalledfan
10-31-2011, 03:14 PM

Yes, next question.

To help explain it more, if you don't know where a player is, how are you supposed to block for him? When you play organized football, your footwork and technique for blocking is very much dependent on the play called. So, the idea the offensive lineman are just meat heads is completely false. Often, good o-lineman are very, very intelligent individuals as you need to know what to do for each play and what you do is further determined by the defensive front/formation and if the blitz. Heck, I only played 9-man football in ND, and I remember vividly on the bus trips quizzing each other on what you do for each play and how that varies if the defense changes.

SDbison
10-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Brock is the Man! Great leader.......also an intense player on the field that consistently makes good decisions and executes successful plays when needed. Keep up the excellent job you are doing. Most important........no let down for the Indiana State game.

roadwarrior
11-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Brock is having a great year, but let's not forget the other end of those passes. The receivers have been catching almost everything within reach all season.

semobison
11-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Brock is having a great year, but let's not forget the other end of those passes. The receivers have been catching almost everything within reach all season.

What a difference the passing game makes for our offense!

SDbison
11-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Brock is having a great year, but let's not forget the other end of those passes. The receivers have been catching almost everything within reach all season. Also, don't forget the excellent blocking by the line that allows Brock time in pocket. :)

Bisonfan1
11-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Also, don't forget the excellent blocking by the line that allows Brock time in pocket. :)

THIS ! Brock has had alot of time back there, Really been putting the ball nicely in there, great to see not so many drops. Life is good right now.

SDbison
11-01-2011, 03:31 PM
THIS ! Brock has had alot of time back there, Really been putting the ball nicely in there, great to see not so many drops. Life is good right now. Life will be even better after the Bison beat the Trees this coming weekend.:)

CAS4127
11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Brock has played flat out excellent. His pocket presence has improved 100%, and he and his rams are on the same page big time. The rams know how much time Brock needs to get the ball out, and he has been getting it out on time the vast, vast majority of the time, with accuracy. I have yet to see any of our opponent QB's who are better than Brock. If he keeps this up, he should be 1st team MVFC QB and possibly offensive player of the year. Good stuff by Brock!!

90BISON
11-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Brock has played flat out excellent. His pocket presence has improved 100%, and he and his rams are on the same page big time. The rams know how much time Brock needs to get the ball out, and he has been getting it out on time the vast, vast majority of the time, with accuracy. I have yet to see any of our opponent QB's who are better than Brock. If he keeps this up, he should be 1st team MVFC QB and possibly offensive player of the year. Good stuff by Brock!!

This ^^^^^^^ I'm not sure he could play much better? But, MUCH credit has to be given to the Rams, especially in the UNI game......they were phenomenal on pass protection.

THEsocalledfan
11-01-2011, 05:33 PM
This ^^^^^^^ I'm not sure he could play much better? But, MUCH credit has to be given to the Rams, and honorary Ram, DJ McNorton, especially in the UNI game......they were phenomenal on pass protection.

FIFY---10 char

Kermit
11-01-2011, 06:24 PM
FIFY (and honorary Ram, DJ McNorton)

Great point. I agree with those who say that Ojuri has ran the ball as well or better than DJ this season, but DJ is an all-around football player. His pass blocking and receiving skills are exceptional.

And to keep things on topic--Brock has been tremendous. To quote the great Keith Jackson, "and he is only a soph-o-more! Whoa...Nelly!"

344Johnson
11-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Great point. I agree with those who say that Ojuri has ran the ball as well or better than DJ this season, but DJ is an all-around football player. His pass blocking and receiving skills are exceptional.

And to keep things on topic--Brock has been tremendous. To quote the great Keith Jackson, "and he is only a soph-o-more! Whoa...Nelly!"

Wait til the playoffs roll around and DJ McNorton says, "Oh, bout that time of the year...." and goes into Marshawn Lynch beast mode and puts the team on his back. Oh, and then Sam starts dominating too.

DISCLAIMER: VIDEO INCLUDES LANGUAGE THAT SOME ON HERE MIGHT NOT APPROVE OF, MIGHT HAVE TO MUTE THE VIDEO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDd5DPAGoCk

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Is it too soon to start comparing Brock to the great Steve Walker?

Discuss..................

Professor Chaos
11-01-2011, 11:10 PM

Yes. For as well as Brock has played he has yet to lead the Bison to a come-from-behind win late in the game that Walker had the trememdous knack for. In fairness, he hasn't had to do that yet this year and last year he was wasn't the same player as he is now. But until he does do that he's not in the same league as Walker.

DjKyRo
11-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Yes. For as well as Brock has played he has yet to lead the Bison to a come-from-behind win late in the game that Walker had the trememdous knack for. In fairness, he hasn't had to do that yet this year and last year he was wasn't the same player as he is now. But until he does do that he's not in the same league as Walker.

On the flipside we've not yet been in a position where new Brock needed to lead us from behind. Frankly I'd be cool if we just keep winning from start to finish.

Bisonguy
11-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Brock Jensen injured? That's what it sounded like on VNL leading into sports.

17>1
11-01-2011, 11:18 PM

If it comes down to how many come from behind wins he has or will have, that isn't fair. Pretty nice problem to have if all he does is puts more points on the board earlier than the other team. He's made some amazing throws, has great pocket presence and seems to be the leader on the field. Those qualities seem very Walker like if you ask me.

PS: Just noticed the "In fairness" line. Agreed.

Bisonguy
11-01-2011, 11:23 PM

NM, Nutbeard was just over-sensationalizing the turf toe again.

EndZoneQB
11-01-2011, 11:28 PM

If we go 11-0 and he has 70+% completion percentage, absolutely. Since Walker never got a chance to lead us through the playoffs(would have been fun to watch tho), I think anything Brock does during that, is just gravy IMO. He obviously already has been there, which honestly is a good feeling...our sophmore QB has lead the team to 8-0, #1 in the country, 75% completion percentage and a 10:1 TD:INT ratio this year. He also has playoff experience, on the road even. If he's not there yet, he's well on his way to being one of the best.

I see you already addressed it lol

Professor Chaos
11-01-2011, 11:39 PM
On the flipside we've not yet been in a position where new Brock needed to lead us from behind. Frankly I'd be cool if we just keep winning from start to finish.
I agree, I'd be perfectly fine with that as well but I highly doubt we'll get where we want to be this year without needing any late game heroics. Brock will have his chance to prove he's in the same league as Walker but he's not there yet.

344Johnson
11-01-2011, 11:43 PM
In a thread during the Summer I said that there is no way Jensen ever really gets close to Walker. Is anyone familiar with the best way to prepare crow? With the sophomore season he is having, and against good competition, he is at least on track to put himself in the conversation. Both are excellent quarterbacks. Love being a fan of the Herd.

Bisonguy
11-02-2011, 12:05 AM
I agree, I'd be perfectly fine with that as well but I highly doubt we'll get where we want to be this year without needing any late game heroics. Brock will have his chance to prove he's in the same league as Walker but he's not there yet.

A lot of those late game "heroics" were due to the team not being able to finish off an opponent.

In 2007, SHSU was a mediocre team that needed "heroics" at home, Cal-Poly was barely over .500 vs. DI schools and needed "heroics" on the road, and lest we not forget what happened in Brookings when the national spotlight was on NDSU. I'd much rather have the Bison with the lead in the first half and retain it to the final horn than need last minute "heroics".

X-Factor
11-02-2011, 12:15 AM
At this point in his career, Jensen is ahead of Walker, without any doubt. How he finishes the 2nd half of his career will write the story. Jensen has many things going for him, one being he is a much bigger and stronger athlete. In my opinion, Jensen has a strong chance to rewrite all of the records that Steve set a few years back. Steve will always be up there though. During Steve's soph campaign he was working with a mediocre o-line and travis white was out with injury that year, and Heckendorf still being fairly young. Bison finished 7-4. Anyone remember Montana State when they refused to kick to Shamen? ...a game we should have put away but failed on the goal line. Steve converted a 4th and 29 with time expiring but it was for not. It took us a few years to avenge that loss but it was WELL worth it :)

344Johnson
11-02-2011, 12:21 AM
If the Bison somehow put the rest of the games in the bag and bring home the title, do we start comparing him to Bentrim? Chris? ;)

X-Factor
11-02-2011, 12:26 AM
If the Bison somehow put the rest of the games in the bag and bring home the title, do we start comparing him to Bentrim? Chris? ;)

Not comparable. 2 totally different positions even though they both played QB.

344Johnson
11-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Not comparable. 2 totally different positions even though they both played QB.

It won't stop people.

Professor Chaos
11-02-2011, 12:52 AM
A lot of those late game "heroics" were due to the team not being able to finish off an opponent.

In 2007, SHSU was a mediocre team that needed "heroics" at home, Cal-Poly was barely over .500 vs. DI schools and needed "heroics" on the road, and lest we not forget what happened in Brookings when the national spotlight was on NDSU. I'd much rather have the Bison with the lead in the first half and retain it to the final horn than need last minute "heroics".
As would I. However, I don't see a deep playoff run this year without having Brock orchestrate at least one late game go ahead drive. The ability to do that is what defines greatness in a quarterback to me. Walker had that. Brock has plenty of time to prove he does too.

EndZoneQB
11-02-2011, 12:58 AM
as would i. However, i don't see a deep playoff run this year without having brock orchestrate at least one late game go ahead drive. The ability to do that is what defines greatness in a quarterback to me. Walker had that. Brock has plenty of time to prove he does too.

siu ?

Professor Chaos
11-02-2011, 01:20 AM
siu ?
That qualifies I guess but it still wasn't "Walker-esque" IMO. Maybe it was just the overall ugliness of that game or the fact that there was still half a quarter left. FWIW, I was also impressed with the drive late in the Minnesota game when it was a 7 point game and he was converting every short third down that would've sealed the game had it not been for a missed FG.

Don't get me wrong, Brock has been playing at an all-conference level this year but I'm sure you guys know what I mean when I talk about leading a game winning drive when all the chips are down like Walker did so many times. Brock got robbed of an opportunity to do that in Eastern Washington last year but I think he'll get another chance sometime in the next couple months.

Wally
11-02-2011, 01:21 AM
siu ?

No doubt.

That TD pass to Veldman was beyond clutch

56BISON73
11-02-2011, 01:24 AM
I would rather not have to play catch up football so Jensen can be called Walkeresque. Walker was Walker and Jensen is Jensen. to keep trying to find some link between the two discredits both players IMO.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-02-2011, 03:48 PM

Different time, different era. Can't compare the two era's.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-02-2011, 03:51 PM
I would rather not have to play catch up football so Jensen can be called Walkeresque. Walker was Walker and Jensen is Jensen. to keep trying to find some link between the two discredits both players IMO.

Your probably right, but it makes for interesting conversation.

CAS4127
11-02-2011, 04:05 PM
That qualifies I guess but it still wasn't "Walker-esque" IMO. Maybe it was just the overall ugliness of that game or the fact that there was still half a quarter left. FWIW, I was also impressed with the drive late in the Minnesota game when it was a 7 point game and he was converting every short third down that would've sealed the game had it not been for a missed FG.

Don't get me wrong, Brock has been playing at an all-conference level this year but I'm sure you guys know what I mean when I talk about leading a game winning drive when all the chips are down like Walker did so many times. Brock got robbed of an opportunity to do that in Eastern Washington last year but I think he'll get another chance sometime in the next couple months.

While not that scenario, just before half at SDSU would have been a perfect time to give Brock the chance at a game-speed two minute drill. Unfortunately, the coaches effed up. We need to see a two-minute offense before the PO's. I don't care whether it is at the end of the half or end of the game, although, for now, I would prefer an end of half drive rather than an end of game drive given Brock hasn't had either opportunity yet.

56BISON73
11-02-2011, 04:46 PM
While not that scenario, just before half at SDSU would have been a perfect time to give Brock the chance at a game-speed two minute drill. Unfortunately, the coaches effed up. We need to see a two-minute offense before the PO's. I don't care whether it is at the end of the half or end of the game, although, for now, I would prefer an end of half drive rather than an end of game drive given Brock hasn't had either opportunity yet.

I couldnt believe they were trying to substitute players with 18 seconds left. The bunny fan behind me couldnt believe how much time we wasted off the clock. Do they not practice a two minute drill? Call two playes in the huddle or just audible at the LOS. POOR clock management. If we dont get that straightened out it will come back to bite us in the ass.

NDSUBowler
11-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Fun fact of the day

FCS record for completion % in a season (Min. 200 atts.) is:

75.23%—Eric Sanders, UNI, 2007 (237 of 315)

Brock is 75.28% last I checked! Record breaking season so far...

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2011/FCS.pdf

THEsocalledfan
03-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Felt like resurrecting an old thread, but just ask a simple question:

1. If you currently rank the three great QB's in modern Bison National Title lore, how would you currently rank them? My vote: Bentrim, Simdorn, Jensen*

2. What if the Bison three-peat? In my mind, I would have to vote: Bentrim (he was just so good), Jensen, Simdorn*

Lots of different angles one could take on this argument; stats vs. intangibles vs. titles vs. type of offense vs. how they helped transform a program (like how Jensen has helped by NDSU a FCS powerhouse), etc.

*All three of these guys were/are unbelievably good QB's and all will always hold a special place in my Bison football loving heart; there is no shame in being number three.......

TransAmBison
03-29-2013, 06:00 PM
You are getting dangerously close to dividing by zero.

THEsocalledfan
03-29-2013, 06:02 PM
You are getting dangerously close to dividing by zero.

If I was smart if enough to get it, I would respond. But sadly for me.....

Hammerhead
03-29-2013, 06:15 PM
This is like having to decide if pepperoni pizza is better than Hawaiian pizza when they are both great.

As you might guess from my avatar, Bentrim is still #1 in your program and #1 in my heart with his three consecutive scoring crowns. I was browsing through the football media guide and noticed that Simdorn has the most playoff among QBs. Jensen has Yards passing in a single game plus attempts and completions in a season. Benny has zero playoff records

Even if Brock gets a third ring, I'd probably leave him behind Bentrim simply for the nostalgia factor with the others who played when I was a student.

Bisonator98
03-29-2013, 06:35 PM
If Brock has the kind of year he has the last 2 seasons I still rank him #3. If he goes nuts and flings TD passes and cuts out all the pick 6's, I may have to move him up.

MNLonghorn10
03-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Jose mohler beat kansas, who then went on to beat #15 Georgia Tech.

Jose Mohler is the 14th best qb in the nation

MontBison
03-29-2013, 06:48 PM
If Brock has the kind of year he has the last 2 seasons I still rank him #3. If he goes nuts and flings TD passes and cuts out all the pick 6's, I may have to move him up.

This is spot on. Would still have walker and feeny ahead of him though.

Bison03
03-29-2013, 07:23 PM
I think ranking the greatest qb's is all dependent on what era you are from. Bison fans in their 20's weren't even born the last time Simdorm played a game for the Bison, let alone seeing Bentrim. All three can claim their rightful spot on the mantle of Bison qb greats. I'd even put Walker up their too when you consider his stats, including wins. You have to think if playoff eligible they would have made some runs.

Professor Chaos
03-29-2013, 07:42 PM
I think Jensen has already surpassed Walker with a year to play still. I wasn't convinced of that last year at this time. You could argue that Jensen is merely riding the coattails of a fantastic defense and rushing offense but he's proven on several occasions, including the biggest moment of the year in the semis against GSU, that he has the ability to lead this team to victory in the clutch. I think if Jensen had the opportunity to throw the ball as much as Walker did he'd have comparable numbers. I'm fairly sure his 31 attempts this year against UNI were his career high. Walker might've had that in the second half against Ball St. Brock doesn't put up eye popping numbers because he doesn't have to and it's not in the best interests of the team in many caess. But he's proven that he has an incredible will and ability to win and that, in my opinion, is the ultimate gauge of a QB's performance.

CalBison97
03-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Bentrim, Simdorn, Walker, then Brock (even if a 3rd ring). I love Brock's guttiness and ability to pull it out at all costs (Tebow-esque), but as a decision-maker and passing ability, Walker is a better all-around QB. I fully trust in Brock to bring us #11.

EndZoneQB
03-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Jose mohler beat kansas, who then went on to beat #15 Georgia Tech.

Jose Mohler is the 14th best qb in the nation

Plus, when you throw in Lu, he moves up the list considerably.

MNLonghorn10
03-30-2013, 01:22 AM
Plus, when you throw in Lu, he moves up the list considerably.
ha. Yes exactly.

Joseeeee jose jose joseeeee

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
03-30-2013, 02:13 PM
As it stands right now, Jensen doesn't even make the top five. But, if he puts together a season like he did in 2011, he could easily make the top 3, possibly even considered the best. :hide:

The biggest question right now is; "Which Brock Jensen will show up for the 2013 season?" Time will tell..................

AjaxTheMighty
03-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Steve has the disadvantage of playing during the transition. He had all the intangibles that Brock has(leadership, clutch, heart, pure winner) he just did all his talking with his arm. He should always be in this conversation. He knew he wouldn't be able to compete for playoffs or NCs when he was recruited. But on pure talent he is near the top. I think he is more clutch than any QB in bison history. He was a winner and his game winning drive against SHSU still goes down as the craziest two plays I have ever seen. Steve walker for president!

IBleedYellow
03-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Steve has the disadvantage of playing during the transition. He had all the intangibles that Brock has(leadership, clutch, heart, pure winner) he just did all his talking with his arm. He should always be in this conversation. He knew he wouldn't be able to compete for playoffs or NCs when he was recruited. But on pure talent he is near the top. I think he is more clutch than any QB in bison history. He was a winner and his game winning drive against SHSU still goes down as the craziest two plays I have ever seen. Steve walker for president!

Honestly don't think App State would have three-peated if they had to play Steve and company.

Nexus 4

Snowgoose
03-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Honestly don't think App State would have three-peated if they had to play Steve and company.

Nexus 4

I completely agree with this. I dislike the NCAA just for this reason.

unbison
03-30-2013, 10:31 PM
If spit shit.... Brock gets 3 rings he is number one! Qb is about leading teams and no one will have done it better against this level of competition at ndsu!

X-Factor
03-30-2013, 10:34 PM

Nexus 4

For 2006 i agree, but 2007 NOPE. 2007 was dragging toward the end of the season with injuries and such while 06 was peaking at the right time and had the defense for playoffs.

CaBisonFan
03-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Jeff Bentrim was all about total precision and leadership. The offense chewed teams up and spit them out.

He got hurt during the championship game against Troy State. So Troy makes an 87 yard field goal with a second left.

If not for that...4 championships for him. There's no need to compare anyone to Jeff.

unbison
03-30-2013, 11:59 PM
Jeff Bentrim was all about total precision and leadership. The offense chewed teams up and spit them out.

He got hurt during the championship game against Troy State. So Troy makes an 87 yard field goal with a second left.

If not for that...4 championships for him. There's no need to compare anyone to Jeff.
D2 is all I will say

CaBisonFan
03-31-2013, 12:13 AM
D2 is all I will say

Did you see the level of play in person? We were at a strong FCS level then.

unbison
03-31-2013, 01:15 AM
Did you see the level of play in person? We were at a strong FCS level then.
I did .... I'd beg to differ!

IBleedYellow
03-31-2013, 02:23 AM
For 2006 i agree, but 2007 NOPE. 2007 was dragging toward the end of the season with injuries and such while 06 was peaking at the right time and had the defense for playoffs.

Umm, to stop a three peat you only have to beat a team one of those years....

Nexus 4

CaBisonFan
03-31-2013, 02:54 AM
I did .... I'd beg to differ!

Different style of Bison team...different style of QB play. FCS (or DI-AA) at that point in time was likely very different than it is now.

Bentrim is a slam dunk...in a league of his own. All of the other great ones belong in the QB hall of fame.

The 80s and 1990 teams were machines that could have competed very well in DI-AA.

The Erhardt/Mudra teams could have done the same.

westnodak93bison
03-31-2013, 04:20 AM
I don't think any of the Bison Veer teams would have faired well against the 2011 or 2012 defenses IMHO. Also, our recent big olines would eventually wear down the 80's or 90's defenses. However, if the 80s and 90s teams would have trained like they do now who knows.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CaBisonFan
03-31-2013, 05:07 AM
I don't think any of the Bison Veer teams would have faired well against the 2011 or 2012 defenses IMHO. Also, our recent big olines would eventually wear down the 80's or 90's defenses. However, if the 80s and 90s teams would have trained like they do now who knows.

Yup...different type of training...and different expectations as far as how big a player should become.

unbison
03-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Yup...different type of training...and different expectations as far as how big a player should become.
So it's all fantasy that these past players could or would compete against the same competition

Snowgoose
03-31-2013, 11:16 PM
So it's all fantasy that these past players could or would compete against the same competition

Only way to compare since all levels of football were a little smaller is number of NFL players and sorry but the teams of the 80 and early 90's had as many or more NFL players and or players that received camp invites than our current roster may have. So I have to completely disagree with you unison.

And to say a veer offense can't move the ball against our current defense didn't watch the GSU game this year.

Plus Satter was physically bigger than our current backs and better straight up.

EndZoneQB
03-31-2013, 11:21 PM
Only way to compare since all levels of football were a little smaller is number of NFL players and sorry but the teams of the 80 and early 90's had as many or more NFL players and or players that received camp invites than our current roster may have. So I have to completely disagree with you unison.

Plus Satter was physically bigger than our current backs and better straight up.

Still apples to oranges any way you slice it. The NFL is a vastly different animal today than it was in the 80s...similar to the difference between DII and FCS.

Saying Satter was physically bigger but it may have been easier to get away with lack of burst, etc. Athletes are different now...I have no memory of watching Satter other than highlights, so he very well could be bigger, faster, and stronger than our current RBs, but I'm going to doubt he was all 3 of them.

unbison
03-31-2013, 11:43 PM
he was bigger faster and stronger then t roehl?

EndZoneQB
03-31-2013, 11:49 PM
he was bigger faster and stronger then t roehl?

Exactly my point...

Snowgoose
04-01-2013, 12:42 AM
No he wasn't bigger and faster than Roehl. I was talking with our current backs and really Satter was a better DJ in reality as just like DJ he didn't have straight ahead speed but could leave your jock on the field. I just don't like it when people discount it cause it was D2. Totally false inaccurate statement. You start looking at the athletes we had in the 80s and I don't even know how you could make that statement whatso ever. Just because one says DII and the other says FCS people automatically think we are better, again completely false. Tell me how you can say that when we had numerous players from that era play in the NFL and others get invited to camps. If they were so slow and weak and were just lousy D2 that kind of seems really strange.

unbison
04-01-2013, 01:14 AM
The team is at a different level sorry you are stuck in your glory days ../. But happy Easter to you goose

Snowgoose
04-01-2013, 01:20 AM
Unbison, you can go ahead and think those teams were slow and weak. Funny thing is we are winning and recruiting the same ND, SD, MN, and Wisconsin kids that we did in the 80's. All of these kids were the ones that just couldn't cut it at FBS same now as in the 80's. We beat out FCS programs for those kids back then just like we are now.

CAS4127
04-01-2013, 02:31 AM
If you guys don't think Chad Stark was better than that Bigfoot guy/Tree Hugger from Lehigh "than you gotta 'nother thing comin"!

Your ability to judge ability/talent is in major question mode-->but that ain't sayin' much!!

Is there MBB thread I should look at??!! :( Message sent!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unbison
04-01-2013, 02:39 AM
I have not said slow or weak... Those are your words.... Do I think these last couple teams would beat the 80's teams yes....not following your message ..... If u wanna scare someone try somewhere else opinions are just that everyone is entitled to their own

perthbison
04-01-2013, 02:59 AM
My only thought in this dispute is that our linemen on both sides of the ball are a little better than the d2 era. (excepting Phil and a few others). The rest I'm not to sure about.

Elvis was a Bison
04-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Anyone using the "that was D2" excuse in this argument loses the right to claim any but the last 2 Championships when they post in the future. We were what we were in the 60's, 70's 80's and 90's with what we had.... Better athletes, better coaching, and better fans than the teams we competed against in those decades. The then verses now argument is used in every sport, and in most cases the introduction of science and technology makes today's athlete superior in stature, preparedness, and instruction, but it does not show improvement in the intangibles..... Heart, desire, commitment, and love of the game. Having said all that, our Champions were/are Champions because they won on the field against the best that they were asked to face, then and now. Anything else is speculation at best.

Hammerhead
04-01-2013, 01:39 PM
If my memory is correct, the rams on the O-line in the 80s averaged about 10-20 lbs less than the Nebraska linemen when they were a national power. On the defensive side, wasn't Jim Dick up around 240 lbs? I remember thinking there's no way this dude can be a linebacker the first time I met him in person.

Mayville Bison
04-01-2013, 03:10 PM
The team is at a different level sorry you are stuck in your glory days ../. But happy Easter to you goose

So by your theory, New Mexico State's football team this past season was better than NDSU? NMSU was in FBS and that's a higher level, so it must automatically be better?

unbison
04-01-2013, 05:47 PM
No my theory would be ndsu is better then.....valdosta st

344Johnson
04-01-2013, 05:57 PM

GaSo moved the ball exceptionally well against the best Bison defense we have had since I have been watching.

I have a hard time believing that the mid 80's Bison teams (who I have only obviously been able to watch on tape of course) couldn't have moved the ball as well.

As people have stated, athletes are different now than in the 80's. If you take those same kids, put them in a modern weightroom, they would probably be bigger, faster, stronger than they were in the 1980's.

I won't get into which team would win. I'll leave that to the people that feel like slamming their head against a brick wall.

EndZoneQB
04-01-2013, 06:22 PM

I didn't see this post before but I like it. This is sort of how I feel about it...it's just a different era. Athletes train harder and differently than they did in the 80s. Like Hanson even said on the PBS special, he had barely even spent time in a weight room before coming here, I think that is increasingly rare these days.

I feel like that is still apples to oranges and extremely difficult to compare because everything is different from top to bottom.

AjaxTheMighty
04-01-2013, 08:17 PM
The championship team of the 80s/90s were in a class all their own. The veer we ran was so freakishly good it took teams time to figure it out, then once figured out, they needed high calibur talent to stop it, and with those last two in place then a new defensive scheme was needed all together or it was all for nothing. It took these teams decades to get to our level. And did they ever do it? I've heard interviews with opposing coaches who believed NDSU was one of THE best in ALL of college football. Someone find some of those quotes. They are out there. I'm disappointed how easy it is for 'Bison fans' to dismiss those players and teams. There is something to be said of the old school. Maybe athletes now have access to better technology and systems of training that were not in existence then, but football instinct and intuition can't be taught anyway. We had so many legendary players then playing on the same field all the training and equipment in the world would have done NO good. Those teams were hellish on both sides of the ball. Not just one side as we have been watching the last two years. They were as complete of a team as you will find. Let's put all these guys who dismiss D2 days in a room with Tony Satter, Chris Simdorn, Chad Stark, Steve Nelson, Jeff Bentrim, Phil Hanson, Charlie Stock, Tyrone Braxton, Mike Favor, Stacy Robinson*, Paul Lenz, Mudra, Solomanson, Hager, and Morton. Then hang a sign on them that says, "Old school is JUST D2!" We can televise it on the local stations and go watch at B-Dubs!

Brock is a good football player. (not great) He will break a lot of Walker records. He has the fortune of being the QB during the era of one of the most dominant defense in NDSU history. Bentrim (and our offense) dominated the football field when they played. Then the defense went out to play and they dominated also. Jeff Bentrim broke Walter Payton's record of career TDs. He was a 1st team all-american and played in a national championship all 4 years he wore the uniform. And he is a member of college football foundation hall of fame. To compare the two is fine, but silly to think Brock is as good as Bentrim. Just silly!

westnodak93bison
04-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Bentrim never faced the same level of competition. Really tough to compare the two eras and competition.

CAS4127
04-02-2013, 12:27 AM
I'll add this--the Bentrim-led teams NEVER moved the ball against our#1 D in Spring or Fall ball, but when faced with other competition---well look at results. Would he have against current D--my thought is yes. Would our D back then have shut current O down?! No question in my mind at all. Wish we could hit rewind--let's party!!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-02-2013, 12:35 AM
Anyone using the "that was D2" excuse in this argument loses the right to claim any but the last 2 Championships when they post in the future. We were what we were in the 60's, 70's 80's and 90's with what we had.... Better athletes, better coaching, and better fans than the teams we competed against in those decades. The then verses now argument is used in every sport, and in most cases the introduction of science and technology makes today's athlete superior in stature, preparedness, and instruction, but it does not show improvement in the intangibles..... Heart, desire, commitment, and love of the game. Having said all that, our Champions were/are Champions because they won on the field against the best that they were asked to face, then and now. Anything else is speculation at best.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Comparing the era's does a disservice to all of our Championship teams. They were all great in their respective era's. We also have to keep in mind that the Championship teams of the 60's and early 70's played in the College Division of NCAA football. At the time there were only two divisions, College and University. So, at that time NDSU was playing in what would the equivalent of todays's FCS. In other words, we moved up to play at the same level we were playing at in the 60's and early 70's. Why the university decided to drop down to DII when the NCAA started the seperate divisions is unknown to me. In hindsight, we should have stayed at the same level.

Question for anyone who knows the answer. How many scholarships did we offer in the 80's. I'm thinking it was 45, but not sure.

56BISON73
04-02-2013, 01:15 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself. Comparing the era's does a disservice to all of our Championship teams. They were all great in their respective era's. We also have to keep in mind that the Championship teams of the 60's and early 70's played in the College Division of NCAA football. At the time there were only two divisions, College and University. So, at that time NDSU was playing in what would the equivalent of todays's FCS. In other words, we moved up to play at the same level we were playing at in the 60's and early 70's. Why the university decided to drop down to DII when the NCAA started the seperate divisions is unknown to me. In hindsight, we should have stayed at the same level.

Question for anyone who knows the answer. How many scholarships did we offer in the 80's. I'm thinking it was 45, but not sure.

All they did was rename the division in 1972-3 I believe. Small college became D2 so in essence staying in the same division. When the Yales, colgates etc dropped a division I cant remember at this point as they were considered big schools at the time.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-02-2013, 03:41 AM
All they did was rename the division in 1972-3 I believe. Small college became D2 so in essence staying in the same division. When the Yales, colgates etc dropped a division I cant remember at this point as they were considered big schools at the time.

When did DI-AA football come about then?

ndsubison1
04-02-2013, 07:28 AM
When did DI-AA football come about then?

1978. ten char

CAS4127
04-02-2013, 11:53 AM

Yep--45, but they could be split significantly more than allows now as I recall/understand.

One thing I can say, and my old teammates agree, there is no question our teams of late have way more quality depth then we did in 80's-90's.

westnodak93bison
04-02-2013, 12:39 PM
CAS, what kind of D did you guys run? Do you remember the playing weight of your DL and LBs?

CAS4127
04-02-2013, 12:44 PM
3-4, with lots of blitz packages, cover 1man, 1man-under, 2, 9 etc. D-line was similar in size/weight to present ones with exception of nose tackle. LB's were bigger--I was lightest at about 215-220.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-02-2013, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=56BISON73;728165]All they did was rename the division in 1972-3 I believe. Small college became D2 so in essence staying in the same division. When the Yales, colgates etc dropped a division I cant remember at this point as they were considered big schools at the time.[/QUOTE

For football, at least, my premise still stands. In the 60's/early 70's we were playing at the second level of football, which is where we are at now, playing many of the same teams we played back then.

Hammerhead
04-02-2013, 05:22 PM
If you trust Wikipedia:

The NCAA decided to split Division I into two subdivisions in 1978, then called I-A for larger schools, and I-AA for the smaller ones. The NCAA had devised the split, in part, with the Ivy League in mind, but the conference did not move down for four seasons despite the fact that there were many indications that the ancient eight were on the wrong side of an increasing disparity between the big and small schools. In 1982, the NCAA created a rule that stated a program's average attendance must be at least 15,000 to qualify for I-A membership. This forced the conference's hand, as only some of the member schools met the attendance qualification. Choosing to stay together rather than stand their ground separately in the increasingly competitive I-A subdivision, the Ivy League moved down into I-AA starting with the 1982 season.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yale_Bulldogs_football

BisonNeil
04-10-2013, 05:40 PM
A slight bump. This thread drifted a bit but I would like to bring it back to "The Man".

The link below is for a TSN article about FCS being dominated by senior QBs this year. Lots of big name QBs mentioned and all of the tons of yards gained through the air or on the ground or both.

The stats on Brock are more impressive in my book. He leads the FCS QBs in total game appearances and playoff starts. Of course he does :D

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/index.htm

THEsocalledfan
09-20-2013, 05:09 PM
By the way, any doubters on Brock being the man at this point? :)