PDA

View Full Version : Would there be room for us here?

CaBisonFan
10-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Not saying we should...but this seismic shift in the FBS certainly leaves room for speculation. I'd bet that Gene Taylor is watching this 'very' closely. If Chapman hadn't been chased out by the undy politicians it would be a no-brainer. If it weren't for Chapman...we wouldn't be an elite program in the FCS right now.

Yeah...yeah...yeah...I know...do some damage in the FCS first. Got it. But maybe by the time the big shifts are done...it won't be worth waiting around for. DII wasn't. Wasn't it great waiting around for Moorhead State to be in the same division as us? Hell...that's how the 90s in Bison football came to us...zzzzzzzzzzzz. (We needed a scapegoat, so Rocky got the rap for that. There was someone else in the athletic department that fell asleep at the wheel...I think.) We waited too long.

The NCAA is so reliable. They can be counted on to screw up this kind of thing...so schools & conferences have to watch out for themselves. This is what Conference USA and the Mountain West are doing.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Mountain-West-and-Conference-USA-to-merge-101411

OMG...another thread about the FBS. Can this be tolerated? ...http://www.pic4ever.com/images/bb7.gif

rutlandbison
10-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Why? Is the one question I have. What would be the point? National exposure? Not in the WAC or even the MWC.

tjbison
10-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Have we been invited???

we just dont walk into a conference and say hey we are here, of course Gene and every AD in the country is watching as these conferences change it can have serious implications on our conferences. MVFC and Summit. My only hope is that the MVC is aggressive and tries to retain its hold and looks at us in the future, no matter what the rube fans on message boards say about NDSU we are very attractive for a conference because unlike other universities we support athletics and are stable.

344Johnson
10-15-2011, 05:26 PM
For an FCS school I think NDSU is pretty attractive. Solid football always, generally solid basketball, and pretty good other sports as well. But where would we go? MAC? WAC? MWC? A MVFC FBS conference?

Twentysix
10-15-2011, 05:29 PM
If the MVC would absorb the entire MVFC and then move fbs, that would be fantastic. You could kick out WIU, and WSU could bring back football cause it would be FBS.

It will probably never happen though.

2011 Champions
10-15-2011, 05:36 PM
If the MVC would absorb the entire MVFC and then move fbs, that would be fantastic. You could kick out WIU, and WSU could bring back football cause it would be FBS.

It will probably never happen though.

See Western Kentucky...I bet they wish the never made the move up. They rocked at IAA and now they suck really bad.

Twentysix
10-15-2011, 05:38 PM
See Western Kentucky...I bet they wish the never made the move up. They rocked at IAA and now they suck really bad.

See boise state, I bet they are glad they arent in the bigsky anymore.

semobison
10-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Boise States success is a rarity!

Twentysix
10-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Boise States success is a rarity!

You are siding with a troll. We arent friends anymore.

Strommer10
10-15-2011, 06:53 PM
You are siding with a troll. We arent friends anymore.

But he's got a point... It's not that often that FCS team move up and have that kind of success. It's just the facts. We would be lucky to have a bowl game in the first 5-10 years.

Twentysix
10-15-2011, 07:00 PM
But he's got a point... It's not that often that FCS team move up and have that kind of success. It's just the facts. We would be lucky to have a bowl game in the first 5-10 years.

Well no durr, but its also not that common to move up to the FBS and never win a game either...To say that the entire MVFC would go winless is just fking moronic.

stevdock
10-15-2011, 07:25 PM
What do we play for?? Do we play for national attention in a bowl game that NOBODY cares about?? Or do we play to be the best team in the nation in whatever division we are in?? No matter how good Boise gets they will never be in a National Championship game until they get into a power conference. And if that's the case then what's the point?? I know small time thinking but I don't care. Unless there is a much bigger shift than what's going on right now, I feel we are where we are supposed to be.

Twentysix
10-15-2011, 07:27 PM
What do we play for?? Do we play for national attention in a bowl game that NOBODY cares about?? Or do we play to be the best team in the nation in whatever division we are in?? No matter how good Boise gets they will never be in a National Championship game until they get into a power conference. And if that's the case then what's the point?? I know small time thinking but I don't care. Unless there is a much bigger shift than what's going on right now, I feel we are where we are supposed to be.

You must have missed the news today. Boise is in a BCS conference, presumably. No where will ever move from the FCS to a BCS conference(sans villanova). Every team must pay their time in no mans land.

tjbison
10-15-2011, 07:30 PM
You must have missed the news today. Boise is in a BCS conference, presumably. No where will ever move from the FCS to a BCS conference(sans villanova). Every team must pay their time in no mans land.

Didnt UCONN go from FCS to the Big East, and I believe Villanova has a Big East invite if they decide to pursue

Twentysix
10-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Didnt UCONN go from FCS to the Big East, and I believe Villanova has a Big East invite if they decide to pursue

Villanova is a BE school though... its a little different also note:

a BCS conference(sans villanova).

Actually Uconn was an independent in the FBS for 4 seasons.

Villanova would have to make a massive renovation of their stadium for that to be possible. Their stadium seats 12500.

Twentysix
10-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Villanova doesnt even fill their stadium the way it is.. they average around 8000.

They are quite a stretch for FBS football even with an invite.

semobison
10-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Most former FCS schools or 1AA who have moved up dont have success like Boise has! Take Marshall, from 91 to 96 they played in 5 1AA championship games winning twice! They moved up in 97 and have played in 2 Motor City Bowls, the Fort Worth Bowl, the Little Ceasar's Bowl, and the GMAC Bowl! 5 insignificant Bowls in 14 years! I think they got more recognition by winning those 1AA titles!

silkamilkamonico
10-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Big East is a considerable step down from the other power conferences, and will probably take a back seat to the MWC/Conference USA superconference that will likely take shape. The team that has the power of a global shapeshift in college conferences right now? Boise St. Go figure.

I think Boise St is an exception to the rule. They were also an innovator at the time they moved up in what is now the spread offense i college football. Sure we could be like Boise St and move up and achieve the kind of success they have, but then again, we are missing the big key component that they had....a gimmick spread offense that caught in to some of the lower level college football programs that isn't so much a rarity anymore. Yet Boise St is already established.

silkamilkamonico
10-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Most former FCS schools or 1AA who have moved up dont have success like Boise has! Take Marshall, from 91 to 96 they played in 5 1AA championship games winning twice! They moved up in 97 and have played in 2 Motor City Bowls, the Fort Worth Bowl, the Little Ceasar's Bowl, and the GMAC Bowl! 5 insignificant Bowls in 14 years! I think they got more recognition by winning those 1AA titles!

I'm with you. People try and argue against it using Boise St as why it can work. Unfortunately for their arguments, for every Boise St, you have Marshall, Western Kentucky, Idaho, San Jose St, Western Michigan, and the handfuls of other small tier programs that continue to struggle.

Crazy though, in the next couple years South Alabama, Villanova, and Appy State will have moved up, and James Madison has now come out and said it will begin the process of moving up as well.

CaBisonFan
10-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Fargo is special. Bison football is extremely special. With the right schedule it'd be dern tough to find a seat in the dome.

BisoninNWMN
10-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Fargo is special. Bison football is extremely special. With the right schedule it'd be dern tough to find a seat in the dome.

I agree.

F-M could support a FBS program. Not a Big 10 type program but a "Boise State" mirror image is possible.

We could beat most of the MAC right now.....with 85 schollies, we could become a very respectable FBS school.

tjbison
10-15-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm with you. People try and argue against it using Boise St as why it can work. Unfortunately for their arguments, for every Boise St, you have Marshall, Western Kentucky, Idaho, San Jose St, Western Michigan, and the handfuls of other small tier programs that continue to struggle.

Crazy though, in the next couple years South Alabama, Villanova, and Appy State will have moved up, and James Madison has now come out and said it will begin the process of moving up as well.

Umass, Texas St, South Alabama, Villanova, App, JMU, Texas- San Antonio are all the one transitioning in the near future to FBS right now I believe

semobison
10-15-2011, 09:02 PM
I agree.

F-M could support a FBS program. Not a Big 10 type program but a "Boise State" mirror image is possible.

We could beat most of the MAC right now.....with 85 schollies, we could become a very respectable FBS school.

Lets see if we can beat most of the MVFC first! We havn't done that yet!

CaBisonFan
10-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Umass, Texas St, South Alabama, Villanova, App, JMU, Texas- San Antonio are all the one transitioning in the near future to FBS right now I believe

There must be some good reasons why these schools are moving. I won't pretend to know what it's all about.

IzzyFlexion
10-16-2011, 03:00 AM

Hey JUCO dipshit.
You either spelled "they" incorrectly, or your grammar is as shitty as your personality.

2011 Champions
10-16-2011, 04:16 AM
Hey JUCO dipshit.
You either spelled "they" incorrectly, or your grammar is as shitty as your personality.
Are people on this site REALLY comparing your team to Boise St??? Wow!!??

PaBizon
10-16-2011, 04:17 AM
I think the rest of the country would be more impressed with a Bowl victory (even the Motor City Bowl) than winning the 1AA title (as would I). If what you're saying is true why leave D2 where there are already 8 NC titles. The best compettion is in 1A (yes I don't like FBS/FCS) so the goal should be to move up to that level. Right now, no but it is what they should strive for.

56BISON73
10-16-2011, 04:22 AM

Your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired. The Boise reference is nothing more than an example of what NDSU possibly could be. Read the operative word---possibly. There is no comparison to the present BSU team and NDSU.

tcbison
10-16-2011, 04:40 AM
There must be some good reasons why these schools are moving. I won't pretend to know what it's all about.

I think this is a good discussion and all. One thing I find interesting is the schools that are moving up are in the south or in the east. I don't see many midwest schools moving up and that includes Montana who has studied moving up and for now their answer is no. Location will always hurt NDSU I'm afraid. I am not against moving up but the timing has to be right and NDSU needs to improve some facilities before moving up. These are just my opinions.

Twentysix
10-16-2011, 05:01 AM
I think this is a good discussion and all. One thing I find interesting is the schools that are moving up are in the south or in the east. I don't see many midwest schools moving up and that includes Montana who has studied moving up and for now their answer is no. Location will always hurt NDSU I'm afraid. I am not against moving up but the timing has to be right and NDSU needs to improve some facilities before moving up. These are just my opinions.

That has alot to do with there not being any midwest schools... I count 13 that give scholarships, and that includes UND and USD.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9096/midwestfcs.png

TheBisonator
10-16-2011, 06:36 AM
I think the rest of the country would be more impressed with a Bowl victory (even the Motor City Bowl) than winning the 1AA title (as would I). If what you're saying is true why leave D2 where there are already 8 NC titles. The best compettion is in 1A (yes I don't like FBS/FCS) so the goal should be to move up to that level. Right now, no but it is what they should strive for.

BOLDED TO QUOTE FOR FUCKING TRUTH.

It's not about what North Dakotans think of NDSU, it's what THE REST OF THE COUNTRY thinks of NDSU.

Remember this summer when I was talking about "Growing the NDSU brand". Get that phrase into your heads, those of you who are content with minor national titles over bowl games. REMEMBER THAT, PEOPLE.

WYOBISONMAN
10-16-2011, 06:38 AM
who knows what is possible 10-15 years in the future. I do think if NDSU is to even sniff FBS that there would need to be a new stadium with capacity of 30,000+

TheBisonator
10-16-2011, 06:44 AM
who knows what is possible 10-15 years in the future. I do think if NDSU is to even sniff FBS that there would need to be a new stadium with capacity of 30,000+

At the very least a second deck on the west side of the dome expanding capacity to 24,000 or so.

CaBisonFan
10-16-2011, 06:48 AM

No one is doing that. But...some of us are saying that we have the potential to do a 'Boise State' type of thing. We know that the road is long and hard...but we also know that we've always had a very, very special football program. When Boise State was in the lower divisions...we were winning national championships...and Boise wasn't. Our tradition and backing has always been outstanding. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. We admire what Boise has done.

WYOBISONMAN
10-16-2011, 06:49 AM
At the very least a second deck on the west side of the dome expanding capacity to 24,000 or so.

My understanding is that it is completely cost prohibative to expand the Fargodome.

devin45k
10-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Stadium is a guarantee! love the dome but it does need expansion. the way it is setup is hard to even imagine any sort of expansion. If we moved now, we would have to go to the MAC.

FYI- how the hell is Idaho still in the FBS. Worst stadium! no one gives a bleep! there stadium has the capacity of like 16000

NWNDBison
10-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Idaho's Kibbie Dome should be an embarrassment to the University and community. I thought you were exaggerating when you said it is the worst stadium, but it's pretty darned close. Makes the Alerus Center look like the Taj Mahal!

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/idaho/moscow_kibbie.shtml

North Side
10-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Have we even won an FCS National Championship? No.. lets win at the FCS level before we start to even think about FBS...

semobison
10-16-2011, 12:52 PM
No one is doing that. But...some of us are saying that we have the potential to do a 'Boise State' type of thing. We know that the road is long and hard...but we also know that we've always had a very, very special football program. When Boise State was in the lower divisions...we were winning national championships...and Boise wasn't. Our tradition and backing has always been outstanding. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. We admire what Boise has done.

Boise State was the 1980 1AA national champions, and runner up in1994! This moving up talk makes for good conversation, but in my opinion is at least 5 years premature!

PaBizon
10-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Any move that would happen would be down the road but waiting until you win a title to even think about it makes no sense. With all the changes that are taking place in college football right now it makes perfect sense to consider how this could impact all of 1AA. If the Super Conferences take over 1A (like it looks they will) the MAC's of the world could become the NEW 1AA level. Might as well stay ahead of it in case it goes down that way.

Ginsbach
10-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Idaho's Kibbie Dome should be an embarrassment to the University and community. I thought you were exaggerating when you said it is the worst stadium, but it's pretty darned close. Makes the Alerus Center look like the Taj Mahal!

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/idaho/moscow_kibbie.shtml

I'd take the Kibbie Dome over Holt Arena...

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/idaho/pocatello_holt.shtml

You do have to realize that both Holt Arena (1970) and the Kibbie Dome (1975) are old structures, though. If the funding was there, I'm sure Idaho and Idaho State would love to build new arenas.

Twentysix
10-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Boise State was the 1980 1AA national champions, and runner up in1994! This moving up talk makes for good conversation, but in my opinion is at least 5 years premature!

Isnt moving up a 3-5 year kinda thing anyway so if the prediscussion begins in 5 years, we are talking about 2020-2025 at the earliest for an actual move..