PDA

View Full Version : Wide Receiver Injuries (Vraa, Gebhardt and R Smith)

freelancer
10-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Going to be a bit thin at WR this week. Vraa is out (Shoulder), Gebhardt is out (Concussion), and just got word that Ryan Smith tweaked a hamstring at practice this week. He didnt practice at all yesterday. Not good.

CAS4127
10-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks!! Note, however, that we have an "Injuries" thread in the Football section of this forum. Sucks to hear about Smith. He is just starting to come into his own and would not benefit from missing a game. Plus, we need him this week. Maybe use him as a decoy if we have to.

coldspot
10-13-2011, 06:47 PM
More reps for wahlo and the TE/FB crew. Have we tried lining up veldmann in the slot ever?

TAILG8R
10-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Will Nate Moody see the field this week?

Strommer10
10-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Will Nate Moody see the field this week?

Hopefully not so he can keep his redshirt. Wahlo, Hansen, and possibly Veldman will have to step in this week. I would assume Gebart would be back for SDSU and so would Smith, if he even misses this weekend.

Siouxfallsbison
10-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Smith should be ready for Saturday. Keeping him out of practice was because his hamstrings were tight. I would quess he will be ready by Saturday, if not today.

roadwarrior
10-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Bohl also said at Teammakers that Vraa is making good progress.

ndsubison1
10-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Im still optimistic about Wahlo. Seems like he's got some potential. Time for him to step up

JSUBison
10-13-2011, 07:40 PM
What is the status of Perez? Does anyone know or care? I think I saw him fully dressed as early as ISU-R. I thought I read something this summer or spring from kolpack or even Bohl about how he was looking good in the slot before he got hurt.

DjKyRo
10-13-2011, 07:54 PM
What is the status of Perez? Does anyone know or care? I think I saw him fully dressed as early as ISU-R. I thought I read something this summer or spring from kolpack or even Bohl about how he was looking good in the slot before he got hurt.

The early prognosis was an 8-week recovery time and I'm still of the opinion that he could help. He's gotta be getting close to healthy.

bisonmike2
10-13-2011, 08:21 PM
so goal line formation all day?

CAS4127
10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
so goal line formation all day?

And just another in the long line of excuses used to justify our lack of offense. Remember, last year it was the QB situation/lack of players who could otherwise get the job done = conservative (think poor) play calling. This year it has so far been the OL play, but, now that we have seen the 3-4 at least twice, it, that being the excuse, will be lack of experience/ability at the WR/Slot position.

Like my little girl likes to say, "It's allllllllwaaaaays sumptin"!!!!!!!!!

BlueBisonRock
10-13-2011, 09:04 PM
And just another in the long line of excuses used to justify our lack of offense. Remember, last year it was the QB situation/lack of players who could otherwise get the job done = conservative (think poor) play calling. This year it has so far been the OL play, but, now that we have seen the 3-4 at least twice, it, that being the excuse, will be lack of experience/ability at the WR/Slot position.

Like my little girl likes to say, "It's allllllllwaaaaays sumptin"!!!!!!!!!

I wonder where she got that from?

BadlandsBison
10-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Marcus Williams would make a good receiver.

KilldeerBison
10-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Marcus Williams would make a good receiver.
Exactly, you could throw it to a Mizzo saftey, then Marcus could race in front of him and "intercept" the pass. We'd have to school him on which way to run once he made the "interception". Brilliant. :)

DjKyRo
10-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Exactly, you could throw it to a Mizzo saftey, then Marcus could race in front of him and "intercept" the pass. We'd have to school him on which way to run once he made the "interception". Brilliant. :)

I wonder if Marcus Williams plays coverage in everyday situations? Like if someone tries to shoot a ball of paper into a trash can, does he run in and pick it off? Or if someone tries to pass notes in class, does he fly in and break up the handoff?

KilldeerBison
10-13-2011, 10:08 PM
I wonder if Marcus Williams plays coverage in everyday situations? Like if someone tries to shoot a ball of paper into a trash can, does he run in and pick it off? Or if someone tries to pass notes in class, does he fly in and break up the handoff?

I think his brain may work something like this.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l559/phedger/RadarMissle.jpg

EndZoneQB
10-13-2011, 10:56 PM

As a former safety, I do. Don't you? It's almost second nature to swap at something being thrown.

devin45k
10-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Guess Mcnorton and Ojuri will account for 90% of the offensive output

stevdock
10-14-2011, 12:01 AM
How about lining up DJ out there at slot with Ojuri in the backfield?? Also we could do a trips stack on one side with a TE first, FB second, and DJ third. Sounds like an extended screen pass that will spread out the defense. Then we can hammer them on the run with Ojuri out of the same formation.

BraxtonT
10-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Guess Mcnorton and Ojuri will account for 90% of the offensive output

It's goin' be tough to win with only 67 yards of total offense!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

CaBisonFan
10-14-2011, 12:18 AM
I'm wondering if Warren Holloway could play wide receiver...http://www.pic4ever.com/images/bb7.gif

344Johnson
10-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Could be a big week for Wahlo and Holloway. Also, throw Williams in there. ;)

OrygunBison
10-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Perhaps we finally start throwing more to our tight ends. I don't know about you guys but I am really frustrated with that. Veldman is a huge target and does nothing but catch everything thrown at him. Why he doesn't get 6-8 touches a game is beyond me. Our offense is perfectly designed for more TE play. With a little play action, the seam route is wide f'ing open.

Right now, we throw the ball to Veldman about as much as a team that is not confident in their TE's abilities, perhaps once or twice a game. It's just a huge missed opportunity.

Am I missing something? Perhaps my observation is way off.

OrygunBison
10-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Also, I know that some of you are kidding about putting MWill in there on offense. For me, I say keep your best athlete on the field, so long as he remains fresh enough for his primary defensive duties. Clearly, he could play the position.

CAS4127
10-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Perhaps we finally start throwing more to our tight ends. I don't know about you guys but I am really frustrated with that. Veldman is a huge target and does nothing but catch everything thrown at him. Why he doesn't get 6-8 touches a game is beyond me. Our offense is perfectly designed for more TE play. With a little play action, the seam route is wide f'ing open.

Right now, we throw the ball to Veldman about as much as a team that is not confident in their TE's abilities, perhaps once or twice a game. It's just a huge missed opportunity.

You are spot on with regard to the TE. In fact, a very effective playy against a 3-4 D is a TE drag/crossing pattern. This is true even if the LBs drop into pass coverage or blitz, and is especially true if the TE can clear to ILB's and get over into the OLB's zone when the ball is thrown. Can result in big plays, but can also result in big hits by the LBs if they catch the TE coming across with a blindside tackle when he is looking back for the ball.

Ask me how I know!!!!!!!

Herd
10-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Also, I know that some of you are kidding about putting MWill in there on offense. For me, I say keep your best athlete on the field, so long as he remains fresh enough for his primary defensive duties. Clearly, he could play the position.

MW is doing well, so lets keep it that way. He does not need any distractions in his preparation as a db.

Grizzled
10-14-2011, 06:29 PM

I think Veldman's lack of blocking ability have affected his receiving numbers. When he checks into the game its 75% pass and he isn't effective enough as a blocker to keep him in over long stretches, we struggle running to his side of the line of scrimmage. For a long time everytime he checked in it was TE seam route or bootleg with him running a deep out, very few crossing routes with him.

CaBisonFan
10-14-2011, 06:32 PM

You're right now. Veldman is a huge target who's finally healthy.

MNLonghorn10
10-14-2011, 06:43 PM
http://www.oesquema.com.br/trabalhosujo/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/matt_stone_trey_parker.gif

aces1180
10-14-2011, 06:45 PM
http://www.oesquema.com.br/trabalhosujo/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/matt_stone_trey_parker.gif

Baseketball!

ndsubison1
10-14-2011, 06:56 PM
I think Veldman's lack of blocking ability have affected his receiving numbers. When he checks into the game its 75% pass and he isn't effective enough as a blocker to keep him in over long stretches, we struggle running to his side of the line of scrimmage. For a long time everytime he checked in it was TE seam route or bootleg with him running a deep out, very few crossing routes with him.

hmm. some ppl were saying earlier how great of a blocker he was and he was "looked at" being moved to RT when turner was out. hmmm

Grizzled
10-14-2011, 07:12 PM
hmm. some ppl were saying earlier how great of a blocker he was and he was "looked at" being moved to RT when turner was out. hmmm

I didn't see those posts and that would have been about as good of an experiment as moving DJ to linebacker. There is no way he would have been successful at tackle.

Its not the kids fault, he's just not a physical player. Everyone has their opinion but there is a reason besides injuries that a 6' converted fullback had more reps than him (6'7") at TE last year. With Bruhn and Smith at double TE last year we had two physical TE's who blocked well and could catch the 5-15 yard pass routes when they needed. Personel wasn't as much of an indicator of play selection.

EndZoneQB
10-14-2011, 09:41 PM
I didn't see those posts and that would have been about as good of an experiment as moving DJ to linebacker. There is no way he would have been successful at tackle.

Its not the kids fault, he's just not a physical player. Everyone has their opinion but there is a reason besides injuries that a 6' converted fullback had more reps than him (6'7") at TE last year. With Bruhn and Smith at double TE last year we had two physical TE's who blocked well and could catch the 5-15 yard pass routes when they needed. Personel wasn't as much of an indicator of play selection.

The coaches have been on record many times this season boasting how Veldman has turned into a much more complete player now that he has learned to block.