PDA

View Full Version : Email about MIP's in tailgate area

Twentysix
10-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Dear Students,

As we prepare to cheer on the Bison this weekend, I would like to remind you of the policies and enforcement that are in place to help ensure the safety and wellbeing of our students and our community.

It has been brought to my attention that several students were issued citations for Minor in Possession during the last home football game. As a reminder, the NDSU Football Tailgating Policy clearly states that “Under no circumstances shall persons under 21 years of age have possession of alcoholic beverages in the tailgating areas. Persons under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.” In addition, tailgating is allowed in all FargoDome parking lots, however, consumption of alcohol by those over the age of 21 is only allowed in lots E and F. Alcohol is prohibited in all other lots.

A complete listing of tailgating rules can be found at http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1264858

Fargo Police officers monitor the parking lots to ensure that all rules are being followed and will issue citations for violations of law. In addition, please know that violations of the Code of Student Behavior www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/studentlife/StudentCode.pdf that occur during tailgating will be subject to University conduct action..

I encourage you to check out the many activities that are planned by students for students. On Saturday night from 9:30 pm to 1:00 am Campus Attractions is holding an Indoor/Drive-In Movie Extravaganza in the Memorial Union Great Plains Room. Check out the Campus Attractions calendar of events at https://orgsync.com/25774/calendar

NDSU does enforce policy and law on a regular and consistent basis in our efforts to provide a safe and supportive community where learning can take place.

Best of luck throughout the semester!

Sincerely,

((I had no idea you had to be 21 to be in the tailgate lot))

HandoEX
10-13-2011, 04:11 PM
((I had no idea you had to be 21 to be in the tailgate lot))
What?????????

CAS4127
10-13-2011, 04:14 PM
:facepalm::facepalm2:You post on here, there has been all kinds of discussion about tailgating (recall anti-tailgating bill introduced last session) and you didn't know that???!!!

Good thing the message was sent out then, cuz there are probably quite a few who didn't know this!!

pwbnd
10-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Just tailgate with your mom and you're good to go.

Bison"FANatic"
10-13-2011, 04:27 PM
So you are saying when that young coed walked up to PL last tailgate and asked if he would be her daddy, she was just looking to follow the rules of tailgating.:):)

BisonBabe
10-13-2011, 04:34 PM
:facepalm::facepalm2:You post on here, there has been all kinds of discussion about tailgating (recall anti-tailgating bill introduced last session) and you didn't know that???!!!

Good thing the message was sent out then, cuz there are probably quite a few who didn't know this!!

As with most lists of rules there will be some who fail to read them all. I remember seeing the rule but seeing as I am past 21 by quite a ways did not worry about it.

SDbison
10-13-2011, 05:46 PM
So they hammer on 18 o 21 olds to be sure nobody drinks in the 20 or so acres called the west lot. Meanwhile there are hundreds if not thousands of ADULTS (18 to 21) chosing to enjoy alcohol within a couple mile radius of NDSU and the Fargodome. They are not stopping anything. What a bunch of control freaks.

HandoEX
10-13-2011, 06:06 PM
The rule is NEVER enforced. If it was, you'd see kids constantly getting harassed. If a person looks underage and is drinking, they might check. I've only ever seen the security handing out a violation once in the dozens of tailgates I've been to at the West Lot. It's just something the control freaks in the city demanded when alcohol was introduced. Just because it's written doesn't mean it will be enforced:)

EndZoneQB
10-13-2011, 06:32 PM
The rule is NEVER enforced. If it was, you'd see kids constantly getting harassed. If a person looks underage and is drinking, they might check. I've only ever seen the security handing out a violation once in the dozens of tailgates I've been to at the West Lot. It's just something the control freaks in the city demanded when alcohol was introduced. Just because it's written doesn't mean it will be enforced:)

I agree. I DID see someone get a minor behind the bus at the 2nd game I believe. It was a plain clothed officer, but I didn't see what the other person did to get noticed. I'm extremely young looking and I've never even been carded or harassed.

Also, people only getting MIP's is a pretty good thing, isn't it? That means they weren't even drinking...just holding it.

CAS4127
10-13-2011, 06:38 PM
I agree. I DID see someone get a minor behind the bus at the 2nd game I believe. It was a plain clothed officer, but I didn't see what the other person did to get noticed. I'm extremely young looking and I've never even been carded or harassed.

Also, people only getting MIP's is a pretty good thing, isn't it? That means they weren't even drinking...just holding it.

Rarely, and I mean RARELY will a citation be issued for MIP, as in just holding a beer or alcohol. In Nodak, thi "MIP" statute encompasses both possession and consumption--"Minor in Possession or Consumption of Alcohol Prohibited". Consequently, that is why you hear "MIP" when, in reality, 99.9% of the citations written are for consumption.

HandoEX
10-13-2011, 06:40 PM

Yeah, that was the only time I've ever seen that happen.

EndZoneQB
10-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Rarely, and I mean RARELY will a citation be issued for MIP, as in just holding a beer or alcohol. In Nodak, thi "MIP" statute encompasses both possession and consumption--"Minor in Possession or Consumption of Alcohol Prohibited". Consequently, that is why you hear "MIP" when, in reality, 99.9% of the citations written are for consumption.

Interesting, I was unaware of that...or actually I think runtheoption told me that when my friend got one. Minnesota, you will definitely get an MIP.

Yeah, that was the only time I've ever seen that happen.

And I need to state, said person was NOT associated with us, nor was she in our bus at anytime.

56BISON73
10-13-2011, 07:09 PM
So you are saying when that young coed walked up to PL last tailgate and asked if he would be her daddy, she was just looking to follow the rules of tailgating.:):)

Scary thing is I COULD have been her daddy.

BisonBabe
10-13-2011, 08:25 PM
In any outdoor event where alcohol is allowed they will be on the lookout for minors. This is not anything new and not just because of tailgating. Trying to look out in a radius around the FargoDome for other violators would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. In no way are the police going to go door to door. Nor are they going to harrass anyone at tailgating. Rather if you look young be prepared to be asked to prove your age. It is pretty simple and should not be an issue in the least. If you are underage and decide to consume alcohol in a public venue and get caught then it is your fault not the fault of the officer that busts you.

Answer Guy
10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
:confused::confused:
Scary thing is I COULD have been her daddy.

God bless teh Trojan Corporation? :confused:

aces1180
10-13-2011, 08:47 PM
:confused::confused:

God bless teh Trojan Corporation? :confused:

Didn't you wear one of their products on your head at last year's stache-out?

NDSUstudent
10-13-2011, 09:04 PM
I've never been carded(been tailgating since I turned 21), I might have seen somebody get carded once now that I think about it but that was a year or two ago.

Honestly if somebody gets an MIP, they probably did something negative to draw attention to themselves.

UTH
10-14-2011, 01:38 AM
In any outdoor event where alcohol is allowed they will be on the lookout for minors. This is not anything new and not just because of tailgating. Trying to look out in a radius around the FargoDome for other violators would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. In no way are the police going to go door to door. Nor are they going to harrass anyone at tailgating. Rather if you look young be prepared to be asked to prove your age. It is pretty simple and should not be an issue in the least. If you are underage and decide to consume alcohol in a public venue and get caught then it is your fault not the fault of the officer that busts you.

This.

rutlandbison
10-14-2011, 02:50 AM
So they hammer on 18 o 21 olds to be sure nobody drinks in the 20 or so acres called the west lot. Meanwhile there are hundreds if not thousands of ADULTS (18 to 21) chosing to enjoy alcohol within a couple mile radius of NDSU and the Fargodome. They are not stopping anything. What a bunch of control freaks.
I dont know if it's so much them being control freaks as much it is them just doing their job. Plus they are on school/fargo? property at a school event which maybe adds to how they handle it. The students who choose to do it off campus are most likely in houses or apartments, not in clear daylight. If it is a rule you have to be 21 to have an alcoholic beverage in the tailgate lot, then that's the rule. People know the rules before they go there. Just obey the rules and there won't be a problem. Not saying I agree with some of the things the security does, but they have to enforce some rules. My tailgate group hasn't had a problem with the security yet, so I guess I haven't noticed how they act.

chuckles
10-14-2011, 02:56 AM
I remember right when teh alcohol ban was lifted in the west lots and these 'rules' went into place. Didn't they for a while there try and 'fence off' the lot, especially on the side that runs next to Albrecht? The places you were able to get in you either had to show your ID and get a wristband from security or they made sure if you were under-age you were with mommy or daddy. We certainly have come a long way since then!

imabison
10-14-2011, 04:13 AM

I would call this absolutely true, and one HUGE reason would be what if you as a parent taught your kids to be green and someone dropped a beer can in your tailgate are. Your child picks up the can and walks to the garbage bag you
have set up. "Technically" that is MIP if an officer was able to get a few drops from the can, but that would be EXTREMELY had to prove. There fore is pretty much possession and consumption related together.

Oh shoot Gully is going to call me a quaker again....My OH My

tjbison
10-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Undercover Fargo PD is there EVERY tailgate, and yes they do check ID's. I know this because I know them

EndZoneQB
10-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Undercover Fargo PD is there EVERY tailgate, and yes they do check ID's. I know this because I know them

We're not disputing this fact, it's just not as common as one would think. I also think the underage drinking on the lot is less than probably assumed too...

Twentysix
10-15-2011, 05:02 PM
We're not disputing this fact, it's just not as common as one would think. I also think the underage drinking on the lot is less than probably assumed too...

I know alot of greeks that just tailgate (aka getting wasted (all minors)) and dont even go into the game. Not gonna out them though, disapointed that they dont make it into the game :(.

tjbison
10-15-2011, 05:10 PM
I know alot of greeks that just tailgate (aka getting wasted (all minors)) and dont even go into the game. Not gonna out them though, disapointed that they dont make it into the game :(.

Not just greeks its geeks too

El_Chapo
11-18-2019, 11:17 PM
8 years later...... thought this should be bumped.

on Saturday while Fargo PD was stinging NDSU tailgates..... leta review what else happened in this city.

2 Felons are on the lamb. 1 escaped halfway house...they lost him. other led on high speed chase into corn field. lost him... and 1 of them shot himself in the finger fumbling with his gun..

#Cmon Man

roadwarrior
11-18-2019, 11:21 PM
Seriously! This is already in another thread. /thread