PDA

View Full Version : How's this for unconventional FB coaching?

tojo70
10-10-2011, 09:20 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/scorecasting/09/15/kelley.pulaski/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=hp_bn10

bisonaudit
10-10-2011, 09:31 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/scorecasting/09/15/kelley.pulaski/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=hp_bn10

Love these guys.

A1pigskin
10-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Very interesting article.

Tatanka
10-11-2011, 01:52 AM
Love it.

344Johnson
10-11-2011, 01:56 AM
It is so unconventional....I find it upsetting. That is not how football was meant to be played :(

Ferd
10-11-2011, 02:58 AM
It is very interesting.

It seemed to me I was watching some talented and some not-so-talented high school athletes in the videos. A lot of the big plays looked like a good QB making some good decisions on the fly. There were a lot of missed tackles and missed assignments. Maybe confusion is a part of that plan.

The theory reminds me of the movie Moneyball. It's about the percentages.

I would probably become bored after 4 or 5 on-side kicks... unless it was us and we scored, I guess.

bri-dog
10-11-2011, 03:11 AM
It is so unconventional....I find it upsetting. That is not how football was meant to be played :(

Well, the forward pass wasn't invented/legal for many years either. So I guess passing isn't how football was meant to be played either. I kinda like it, though...:biggrin:

344Johnson
10-11-2011, 03:15 AM
Well, the forward pass wasn't invented/legal for many years either. So I guess passing isn't how football was meant to be played either. I kinda like it, though...:biggrin:

Vigen just found out this year that you are allowed to throw it forward. Presumably after seeing the video on this thread.

Strommer10
10-11-2011, 04:38 AM
He still is hesitant to try this new idea...

SDSUAlum08
10-11-2011, 04:45 AM
It is very interesting.

It seemed to me I was watching some talented and some not-so-talented high school athletes in the videos. A lot of the big plays looked like a good QB making some good decisions on the fly. There were a lot of missed tackles and missed assignments. Maybe confusion is a part of that plan.

The theory reminds me of the movie Moneyball. It's about the percentages.

I would probably become bored after 4 or 5 on-side kicks... unless it was us and we scored, I guess.

I agree. Paluski's QB, #7, looked legit. It's a lot easier to do these things when you have an athlete like that. I'm assuming they don't see a ton of 4th downs.

DjKyRo
10-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Some punk on NCAA '11 on XBOX Live tried to run this kind of system, as most people do. Sell out on every defensive play, chuck it deep every time you have the ball, always go for it on fourth down. With pragmatic defense, smart offense and a cautious approach on special teams, I racked up 1,200 yards on him and won 70-42. :biggrin:

Strommer10
10-11-2011, 11:35 PM
After watching just a little bit of the videos, the first thought I had was that if I was back in high school, I would definitely want to play for this guy. It's an exciting brand of football and his style shows the kids that he will do whatever it takes to win the game.

1998braves64
10-12-2011, 04:12 AM
After watching just a little bit of the videos, the first thought I had was that if I was back in high school, I would definitely want to play for this guy. It's an exciting brand of football and his style shows the kids that he will do whatever it takes to win the game.

And excellent execution especially on the onside kicks notice how all the kicks went the perfect 10 yards and his teammates were right there in position to recover, you have to have a decent kicker to make that happen to get it to bounce just right to give your teammates time to get to the spot, and the fact that they used 2 different people to kick from what I could tell the one guy who would come in from the side as a decoy (had 1 or 2 kicks?) and then the "regular" kicker would kick it. The picking the ball up off the kicking tee and pitching it to the kicker was an awesome twist!

My HS football coach had a few trick plays in the playbook that we practice a fair amount but rarely would he ever use them, when I was on the team we rarely needed them.

I can see on 4 and short going for it occasionally but I think other teams sort of feed energy off of stopping those, (see NDSU 2 goal line stands how much of a confidence boost did that give them when you thought they were goners they gained new life from those) so you have to be careful where you do it. I think you see a lot more coaches taking the chance occasionally more so than you did 10-15 years ago.

bisonaudit
10-12-2011, 12:37 PM
The momentum thing swings both ways. If you convert on 4th that's a big deal too. And if your defense forces a 3 and out and has the opponent punting from their own endzone that swings momentum as well.

I think that if you know that you're going to play that way all the time it also changes the dynamic somewhat. Mentally, it's not as big of a deal to make or not make a 4th and 4 or recover or not recover an onside kick if on the first day of practice the coach says "We're playing all 4 downs and we're going to on-side 75% of the time.

CarringtonBison
10-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Well a bright side is if you never punt on 4th down and always go for it, your offense will NEVER have a 3 and out ;)

mebisonII
10-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Gobs of talent certainly helps with a scheme like that. In the offense video, the quarterback had all day to throw in about half the plays, and in the other half, he showed that he's fast and agile, sees the field well, and can throw accurately, even on the run. Seemed like the receivers were pretty good, too, pulling in balls over defenders, and such. And the on-side kicker was accurate, too, as has already been said. Chances are that the team would be pretty good playing a more traditional strategy as well.

Wish they had video of the 11-man rush, though...I'd love to see that. A QB in the shotgun with a quick release could put an end to that pretty quick, though, I suspect.

Strommer10
10-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Gobs of talent certainly helps with a scheme like that. In the offense video, the quarterback had all day to throw in about half the plays, and in the other half, he showed that he's fast and agile, sees the field well, and can throw accurately, even on the run. Seemed like the receivers were pretty good, too, pulling in balls over defenders, and such. And the on-side kicker was accurate, too, as has already been said. Chances are that the team would be pretty good playing a more traditional strategy as well.

Wish they had video of the 11-man rush, though...I'd love to see that. A QB in the shotgun with a quick release could put an end to that pretty quick, though, I suspect.
Lots of talent helps any scheme look good.

bisonaudit
10-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Lots of talent helps any scheme look good.

Where's it coming from, though? I think the school is only like 350 kids.

KC Bison
10-12-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm confused by the legality of picking up the ball on the kickoff and pitching back to someone else who then punts the ball. What are you allowed to do prior to a kick off?

bisonaudit
10-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Until this game last month,

http://www.pulaskiacademy.org/podium/default.aspx?t=204&nid=722195

Pulaski hadn't punted since 2009.

Twentysix
10-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm confused by the legality of picking up the ball on the kickoff and pitching back to someone else who then punts the ball. What are you allowed to do prior to a kick off?

So long as the ball does not pass the line of scrimmage I dont see any harm.

After a saftey we punt the ball. Why couldnt you pickup the ball for a kickoff? So long as no one passes the LOS before the ball passes it.

"I'm sure indybison can chime in with a real explination."

bisonaudit
10-12-2011, 04:28 PM
So long as the ball does not pass the line of scrimmage I dont see any harm.

After a saftey we punt the ball. Why couldnt you pickup the ball for a kickoff? So long as no one passes the LOS before the ball passes it.

"I'm sure indybison can chime in with a real explination."

I think you're right. It's a free kick so the kicking team can do either at their election.

bri-dog
10-12-2011, 05:32 PM
I don't think you're allowed to punt on a kickoff, but I'm not 100% positive. This one looked to me like more of a drop-kick, but I'm not sure that's legal either. That was helpful, huh?:biggrin:

BISONBRI53
10-12-2011, 08:00 PM

Don't you have to drop kick it? Like Flutey did a few years ago when he kicked a PAT with the Bills?

IzzyFlexion
10-13-2011, 01:00 AM
I don't like schmucks like this.
Attention whore as far as I'm concerned.
Just play the damn game like your supposed to.

gotts
10-13-2011, 03:21 AM
Last time I bring out the chains and whips for you...

westnodak93bison
10-13-2011, 10:12 AM
I don't like schmucks like this.
Attention whore as far as I'm concerned.
Just play the damn game like your supposed to.

I wonder what they said about teams that first started to use the "unconventional" forward pass back in the day. Hell I even heard comments like this about the 3 point shot in basketball?

IzzyFlexion
10-13-2011, 11:37 AM
I wonder what they said about teams that first started to use the "unconventional" forward pass back in the day. Hell I even heard comments like this about the 3 point shot in basketball?

OK pal.
Keep mocking me for being a traditionalist and I'll pull out my 28 page thesis on "How the Employment of Punters Can Stimulate a Down Economy" !!!!:)

westnodak93bison
10-13-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm not mocking you I'm just saying games evolve. Hell I wouldn't be surprised to see offenses have two athletic QBs on the field at the same time. :bleh:

bisonaudit
10-13-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm not mocking you I'm just saying games evolve. Hell I wouldn't be surprised to see offenses have two athletic QBs on the field at the same time. :bleh:

Didn't they used to all that the single-wing? Everything old is new again.

IzzyFlexion
10-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Did you miss the smile at the end? It takes a lot more than that to piss off a simpleton like me. (i'm gonna go double smiles this time)....:):)