PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Midseason Review

BisonJD
10-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Mark Schlabach for ESPN just posted his "Midseason Review" on ESPN's homepage - he goes through each BCS Conference and highlights the best players and best/worst games thus far. Under the Big 10...you'll find reference to the Bison Beatdown of the Gophs...

Worst game: North Dakota State 37, Minnesota 24 (Sept. 24)
The Gophers have been pretty bad this season, but getting manhandled by an FCS foe at home was rock bottom. Bison cornerback Marcus Williams scored a touchdown on a 52-yard interception return on the final play of the first half and scored again on a 40-yard interception return with 2:36 to go.

"Getting manhandled" about sums it up.

HerdBot
10-10-2011, 06:31 PM
The Golden Gophers of the Big Ten should never ever get manhandled at home to an FCS team but these clowns are making at trend out of it. NDSU, USD, NDSU again... almost lost to SDSU... the midwest teams are good enough to compete. Heck I betch the Sioux could even pull off a win with some luck. UNI would beat the Gophers by 3 TD's. Every team in the MVFC could beat the Gophers except for maybe Missouri State. Can't say that because we've lost 2 in a row to Missouri State and won 2 in a row vs Minnesota

Herd
10-10-2011, 10:54 PM
The gophers beat Miami of O just prior to the bison game. They were a team that was growing in confidence and were going to whip the bison. And now the win is meaning less and the gopher are terrible?!? I don't buy it. The bison played a extemely clean game to beat MN, the gopher played a good game on 9/24, but were beat.

The gophers have completely tanked since the bison loss. Their confidence and heart were both destroyed on 9/24.

NDSUstudent
10-10-2011, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't say we killed Goldy, us beating them wounded them and then Michigan applied the dagger. Now everyone else is just beating a dead Gopher. I feel for Jerry Kill, great guy and coach. I do hope he can right the ship and beat somebody, anybody this year but I'm obviously not too optimistic right now.

Grizzled
10-10-2011, 11:15 PM
The Gophers have a terrible QB, the the 3rd worst offensive and defensive lines we might see all year. Terrible secondary. I don't think we crushed their confidence, I think they are just a bad team like Gabe said. They should have 4 FCS loses in the last 4 years, probably 5 out of 5 if you count our first game. Will they improve, probably. But Brewster absolutely killed that program.

IzzyFlexion
10-10-2011, 11:35 PM
The Gophers have a terrible QB, the the 3rd worst offensive and defensive lines we might see all year. Terrible secondary. I don't think we crushed their confidence, I think they are just a bad team like Gabe said. They should have 4 FCS loses in the last 4 years, probably 5 out of 5 if you count our first game. Will they improve, probably. But Brewster absolutely killed that program.

I'll go ahead and beat this dead horse......
I think that the most devastating aspect of the 3 losses is that 2 of them were at a time when the winning FCS team was still in transition from D-2 !!

Mr. Burgundy
10-11-2011, 02:32 AM
Anyone have a copy of their student newspaper that said something like..."This is the Big Ten...are you lost?" A photo of a big bison being branded? Man I would love our student newspaper to respond. Apparently they were lost being in the Big Ten. I actually like the Gophers. I am glad we are done playing them and I hope Kill can turn around their culture. They have some athletes, but no football players. That is what happens when you get 3 star kids that have one big ten offer. Clearly you were the only school that thought he could play at that level. Hopefully Kill can get some kids in there. Currently ranked 12th in the Big Ten in recruiting.