PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Our Running Game

CaBisonFan
10-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Why does DJ get the ball so deep? Why no quick traps or counter type of plays..as in quick developing plays to change the timing for the defense? That deep handoff is like...here...here...here...here...take it...here...now...here we go. Everybody see that?

I know...DJ gets a good look at the field. Got it. But doesn't the defense get the same opportunity?

Also...why doesn't the fullback get 3-4 carries to change things up? Why no hard-nosed runs from him that develop quickly?

Maybe I just don't understand this offense. It seems like an awful lot of plays take a long time to develop.

When our O-Line gets up against a physical front-seven...I would bet that the blocks are really tough to hold until the RB gets there.

What offense does UNI run? Seems like they're doing ok.

bri-dog
10-09-2011, 09:25 PM
I agree completely, CA. Especially in situations like 2nd and short (a couple of these in the Gopher game). I was watching yesterday, and with the RBs lined up 9-10 yards deep, it takes a heluva long time for these runs to develop. They DO know it's legal to hand the ball to the fullback occasionally, right?

tjbison
10-09-2011, 09:40 PM
UNI runs a spread option dont they?

tolnabison
10-09-2011, 09:50 PM
I wonder if they have thought about making any changes on the line? Last year when Joe Lund went down at center, Jesse Hinz stepped in, and we really ran the ball well the rest of the year and through playoffs. Also, I have noticed that RG Tyler Gimmestad looks a little shaky. Yes he pulls well, but never has any devastating blocks that spring runs on stretch plays. Maybe some changes could be made to give the offense a spark. Lund to RG and Hinz in at center?

56BISON73
10-09-2011, 09:57 PM
There arent any hard nosed runs because--1 they take along time to hand the ball off to try and let the play develop---for a seam to open up and gash it. 2 we dont utilize our fullbacks in a running capacity---even though they have great credentials out of HS at running the ball.

The biggest holes that were opened were done by SIU on misdirection and then countering the fullback against the flow.

stevdock
10-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Why does DJ get the ball so deep? Why no quick traps or counter type of plays..as in quick developing plays to change the timing for the defense? That deep handoff is like...here...here...here...here...take it...here...now...here we go. Everybody see that?

I know...DJ gets a good look at the field. Got it. But doesn't the defense get the same opportunity?

Also...why doesn't the fullback get 3-4 carries to change things up? Why no hard-nosed runs from him that develop quickly?

Maybe I just don't understand this offense. It seems like an awful lot of plays take a long time to develop.

When our O-Line gets up against a physical front-seven...I would bet that the blocks are really tough to hold until the RB gets there.

What offense does UNI run? Seems like they're doing ok.

I think most weeks we run enough counter action plays where we have 2 pulling linemen. Traps we don't run very many but I personally don't think it is a good play to run against a 3-4. It depends on where their ends are lined up: if they are inside or head up on the Tackle I think the end then gets tough to trap. If he is outside the tackle then it's a great play. I big part of the trap is first being able to double the nose (dont remember how well we did there) but then the tackle being able to get an inside release to pick off normally a MLB.

I think sometimes we are a little too deep but I think it's fairly normal. The Patriots are lining up at 7 yards and the Jets are mostly at about 8 1/2 yards. I think the biggest thing is that DJ is hurt and does not have the explosiveness or top speed that he normally has. He's basically decided to do the same thing Tyler Roehl did his senior season. It's as good as it's going to get, I've got to play on it. IF we have a game where we think it's going to be a walk in the park don't be surprised to see him out.

The FB I HAVE NO CLUE. We recruit them partially due to the ball handling ability. We will throw the ball to them but we won't do a quick handoff with misdirection by the HB?? I don't get that. Once each half might even be enough. Who knows if you try it again it might become one of those favored plays like well you know:)

The main problem is our OLine knows how to block a 4-3 pretty darn well most of the time. They have no clue against the 3-4. I thought as the game went on the pass blocking on a 3-4 was better, but run blocking absolutely no clue. Same defense ISU ran and same that UNI will run.

UNI is a perfect storm for us to have trouble. Good quality team that runs a defense we suck against, and run an offense (the spread) that we traditionally have struggled with. We've got two games to get things figured out. Good thing is we are 5-0, bad thing is it HAS TO BE FIGURED OUT.

Ginsbach
10-09-2011, 11:38 PM
There arent any hard nosed runs because--1 they take along time to hand the ball off to try and let the play develop---for a seam to open up and gash it. 2 we dont utilize our fullbacks in a running capacity---even though they have great credentials out of HS at running the ball.

The biggest holes that were opened were done by SIU on misdirection and then countering the fullback against the flow.

I would love to see Grothmann run the ball several times a game. I followed him throughout his high school career (always rooting for him to lose against the Pirates, though) and always came away impressed with the way he ran. It would be a nice change of pace.

bisoneer
10-10-2011, 02:29 AM
It would be nice to see the I formation early in the game to set the pace for the running game. I have faith in the coaching staff, they will figure out UNI.

bisonsupporter
10-10-2011, 03:23 PM
The reason for the HB being deep is because we run Power. The HB needs enough time to make a read on the pulling guard and the fullback kickout block then to pick a hole. To me it seems that DJ and Sam both want to hit a homerun everytime they touch the ball. They both get happy feet before trying to hit the hole. Roehl was perfect for this offense because he just put his head down and hit the hole as fast as he could.

CAS4127
10-10-2011, 03:36 PM
The reason for the HB being deep is because we run Power. The HB needs enough time to make a read on the pulling guard and the fullback kickout block then to pick a hole. To me it seems that DJ and Sam both want to hit a homerun everytime they touch the ball. They both get happy feet before trying to hit the hole. Roehl was perfect for this offense because he just put his head down and hit the hole as fast as he could.

You nailed it!!!

NDSUstudent
10-10-2011, 03:41 PM
I think Lang or Grothmann should be given some chances to the pound the football, IMO we need a change of pace from DJ and Sam. Give me a little thunder and lightening.

bisonsupporter
10-10-2011, 03:44 PM
I think Lang or Grothmann should be given some chances to the pound the football, IMO we need a change of pace from DJ and Sam. Give me a little thunder and lightening.

I agree in short yardage situations this may be a better option. But in a Power offense the fullback is a focal point for the defense to key on.

CAS4127
10-10-2011, 04:18 PM
I agree in short yardage situations this may be a better option. But in a Power offense the fullback is a focal point for the defense to key on.

Then try some misdirection--just sayin!!

GradBison
10-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I know nothing about football but I have been disappointed with the lack of carries for Lang. The kid is the definition of hard nosed down hill running and he shows it in practice any time you watch.

I believe he has only one carry for a short-yardage TD this year so far.

Edit:

No. Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg.
vs. Lafayette Lang,Derrick 7 29 0 29 1 9 4.1
vs. St Franci Lang,Derrick 3 12 2 10 0 9 3.3

Bison"FANatic"
10-10-2011, 08:30 PM
What is the over/under on Boothby actually taking a handoff from Brock when we play UNI????????

CaBisonFan
10-10-2011, 10:36 PM
OK...so do most of us agree that our style of running game hasn't worked well against good teams that run a 3-4 defense?

If so...where's the adjustment? Don't good coaches make adjustments when something clearly isn't going to work?