PDA

View Full Version : Players & Matchups

CaBisonFan
10-06-2011, 08:55 AM
It would be interesting to see comments on SIU's impact players...and...to read about some of the bigger matchups. Links to articles and videos would be very welcome. Could also add tendencies by their offense and defense...general strengths and weaknesses.

Anyone interested ? Some info on even one player from SIU would be appreciated.

WYOBISONMAN
10-06-2011, 12:01 PM
I don't have the specific names of SIU players, but from lurking on their board it sure seems to me that they are going to have a very hard time defending the short passes which are the hallmark of the west coast offense. There is potential for our short pass game to really tear them up. It sounds like defending the deep stuff is better than the short. Those passes should open the run up and the Bison move on to 5-0. While I think this will be a tight game since we are away......I would not be shocked if we blow them out.

HerdBot
10-06-2011, 06:44 PM
I don't have the specific names of SIU players, but from lurking on their board it sure seems to me that they are going to have a very hard time defending the short passes which are the hallmark of the west coast offense. There is potential for our short pass game to really tear them up. It sounds like defending the deep stuff is better than the short. Those passes should open the run up and the Bison move on to 5-0. While I think this will be a tight game since we are away......I would not be shocked if we blow them out.

I hope you're right. I think we could lose this one. But we can win too. Thats my Madden analysis.

bisonaudit
10-06-2011, 06:56 PM
I hope you're right. I think we could lose this one. But we can win too. Thats my Madden analysis.

Sagarin (not terribly reliable this early) makes us a 7.7 point favorite. I'm not sure what the standard deviation is in the NCAA but in the NFL it's 14 points so that would imply that while we're favored we certainly could lose (72% v. 28%).

Da_Bison
10-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Kayon Swanson NG is a beast, he had a great game against Ole Miss 2 sacks and 3 tackles for a loss

BisonNeil
10-07-2011, 01:29 PM
I would not be shocked if we blow them out.

I would be.

The WC under Bohl has not done well with 3-4 defenses as I have said before, last week case in point.

The offense generated 24 pts against Minnesota and only 13 last week. Penalties hurt the Bison against MN and they got even worse last week. I am concerned that the offense is regressing.

I have tried very hard to stay positive about Vigen as an OC, but after the last two games and seeing the lack of discipline, I am having to work very hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I personally don't think he can contintue to call the out pattern to Holloway 5-6 times a game. The last two usually gain few, if any, yards. Some DB is going to jump on that play for a pick six one of these days, and SIU has historically had good ones. I hope it isn't this weekend.

Vigen has to show me something against SIU and their 3-4 before I believe this offense has improved from last year. Last weekend was completely unacceptable.

Gully
10-07-2011, 01:32 PM
I would have like to see us take more shots down the field last week, I thought we got very conservative once we had even a little lead. That said, false starts and similar penalties really hurt the momentum. I don't put that on Vigen, that's on the players.

bisonmike2
10-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Madden analysis, I like that. Here my keys to the game, Madden style.

What we need is great players, playing great, cause that's great football. It's key for our RB's to get some yards because some yards is better than none yards. Our passing game will be very important too. If our wide receivers catch the ball in the endzone, that's a touchdown! When we need a big play, we should either pass the ball or run the ball. And finally, the team who scores the most points is going to win the game.

CAS4127
10-07-2011, 02:43 PM
I would be.

The WC under Bohl has not done well with 3-4 defenses as I have said before, last week case in point.

The offense generated 24 pts against Minnesota and only 13 last week. Penalties hurt the Bison against MN and they got even worse last week. I am concerned that the offense is regressing.

I have tried very hard to stay positive about Vigen as an OC, but after the last two games and seeing the lack of discipline, I am having to work very hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I personally don't think he can contintue to call the out pattern to Holloway 5-6 times a game. The last two usually gain few, if any, yards. Some DB is going to jump on that play for a pick six one of these days, and SIU has historically had good ones. I hope it isn't this weekend.

Vigen has to show me something against SIU and their 3-4 before I believe this offense has improved from last year. Last weekend was completely unacceptable.

I concur with BNeil--jury is still out on Vigen, we have trouble against 3-4 defenses (technically a defense that is somewhat designed to cover shorter patterns), and a team is reflective of it's coach (compare our D to our O). Let's hope it isn't windy down there, as that could make us one dimensional, and, as of late, our running game has not been the dominant force it was in the PO's last year and 1st two games (against lessor opponents). I am holding my breath on this game!!

CaBisonFan
10-07-2011, 04:16 PM

What we need is great players, playing great, cause that's great football. It's key for our RB's to get some yards because some yards is better than none yards. Our passing game will be very important too. If our wide receivers catch the ball in the endzone, that's a touchdown! When we need a big play, we should either pass the ball or run the ball. And finally, the team who scores the most points is going to win the game.

Brilliant

Maybe you should be the OC.

HerdBot
10-07-2011, 05:22 PM

We need to run the ball behind the offensive lineman. Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they're bigger than everybody else, and that's what makes them the biggest guys on the field. You should look up to them because they are taller than you.

And anytime the offense scores points and holds the other team to less points, they almost always win

CaBisonFan
10-07-2011, 05:35 PM
We need to run the ball behind the offensive lineman. Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they're bigger than everybody else, and that's what makes them the biggest guys on the field. You should look up to them because they are taller than you.

And anytime the offense scores points and holds the other team to less points, they almost always win

Beer, whiskey, pot...or boredom?

CAS4127
10-07-2011, 05:38 PM

Wow, so the offense plays defense too--we must be good!!!

HerdBot
10-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Wow, so the offense plays defense too--we must be good!!!

SIU has great football players but we have players that play great football!

HerdBot
10-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Beer, whiskey, pot...or boredom?

All of the above

runtheoption
10-07-2011, 06:25 PM

The most important part to winning is scoring more points than the other team. Brett Favre. We need our offense, defense, and special teams to play well so we can score more points and win. Brett Favre. I really like our chances if we can outscore the other guys, especially by getting the ball into the endzone. Favre.

EndZoneQB
10-07-2011, 06:32 PM
The most important part to winning is scoring more points than the other team. Brett Favre. We need our offense, defense, and special teams to play well so we can score more points and win. Brett Favre. I really like our chances if we can outscore the other guys, especially by getting the ball into the endzone. Favre.

My name is Ron Jaworski: Exactly, John. In the National Football League, you have to play like you are in the National Football League if you want to stay in the National Football League. We could be watching some future stars in the National Football League today.

DjKyRo
10-07-2011, 06:47 PM
SIU RB Jewel Hampton vs. NDSU LB Brandon Jemison. We may see craters on the football field.

CaBisonFan
10-07-2011, 07:19 PM
All of the above

Wow...you're on a roehl.

Gully
10-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Nobody can play like we play when we play.

CAS4127
10-07-2011, 08:35 PM
"Boy, when he tackles, he really gets the guy on the ground!!"

"Their runner had no chance to get a first down after he was tackled short of the first down!"

Wait, you're talking about Madden . . . . . these qoutes came from PL and Tranny, respectively, at the Minney game. CAS's reaction: :facepalm::confused:

NWNDBison
10-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Wow! So much philosophy. Such deep thoughts. I don't know that I'm equipped to respond to such great minds of the science of football. I'll have to try to digest the last several pages of football wisdom.

Right off the top, though, I do like the concept that the team with the most points wins. That almost always (never say never) seems to be the case, though I have not researched the theory completely.

CaBisonFan
10-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Wow! So much philosophy. Such deep thoughts. I don't know that I'm equipped to respond to such great minds of the science of football. I'll have to try to digest the last several pages of football wisdom.

Right off the top, though, I do like the concept that the team with the most points wins. That almost always (never say never) seems to be the case, though I have not researched the theory completely.

I've seen a lot of teams that score the most points lose. Take Dennis Green's Vikings teams for example. He had a rare talent...a way to score the go-ahead points with about 2 minutes left. The Vikes had the most points...but they lost an awful lot of those games. Even when they won. Randy Moss would leave the stadium and the baggie would collapse. Sounds a little like Gopher football actually.

Tatanka
10-07-2011, 09:31 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/1/0/1/0/2/7/9/Keanu-Whoa-42126534059.jpeg

Yellow
10-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Also along the same lines....it has been said if teams stop our run game we would be in jeopardy to be handed a defeat. If you stop ANY teams run game they are in jeopardy.

EndZoneQB
10-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Also along the same lines....it has been said if teams stop our run game we would be in jeopardy to be handed a defeat. If you stop ANY teams run game they are in jeopardy.

Tell that to Belicheck.

DjKyRo
10-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Tell that to Belicheck.

Or McCarthy. :uhyeah:

Yellow
10-08-2011, 05:12 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of within our league....