PDA

View Full Version : Andy Nagel not academically eligible for first semester

tony
10-06-2011, 12:51 AM
According to Dom Izzo's twitter deal, Andy Nagel is academically ineligble.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NCAA requirement for eligibility is all about progress-toward-degree (a student-athlete has to complete a certain number of credit hours in order to be eligible) so, presumably, he has a big class load right now.

HandoEX
10-06-2011, 01:22 AM
I wouldn't know but an athlete caught cheating can be academically ineligible as well.

DIBISON
10-06-2011, 02:22 AM
For the first semester only if everything goes as planned.

56BISON73
10-06-2011, 02:25 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NCAA requirement for eligibility is all about progress-toward-degree (a student-athlete has to complete a certain number of credit hours in order to be eligible) so, presumably, he has a big class load right now.

This is another rule I just hate. So lets say a kid decides to change majors. If he does so then he is automatically inelgible because he has no credits towards his major field of study. It really hamstrings the student athlete.

JackJD
10-06-2011, 12:16 PM
This is another rule I just hate. So lets say a kid decides to change majors. If he does so then he is automatically inelgible because he has no credits towards his major field of study. It really hamstrings the student athlete.

It's a tough rule with the potential to be really unfair as noted by PL. Example: Excellent student intending to major in Pharmacy just misses the cutoff (lets assume he was the next in line to be accepted but the class filled up) when applying second semester of soph year...has to find a new major and could potentially be ineligible even though his grades are very good. I think there's some a way to get a waiver from the NCAA under such circumstances but it's a scarey rule.

Well, I suppose Nagel will be back for the trip to Frost Arena. Should be interesting.

missingnumber7
10-06-2011, 12:27 PM
It isn't hard to continue your progress towards a degree even while switching Majors. I switched several times, granted within the same area of study, but was always showing progress towards a degree. Which is also a requirement with the old GI bill. This is the reason you see a lot of players graduate with University study degrees.

Hammersmith
10-06-2011, 04:18 PM

Progress toward a degree is one part of the requirement, but there is also a GPA component that gets progressively tougher each year. It's based on the school's GPA requirement for graduation. At the beginning of the second year, the student-athlete must have a GPA of 90% of the school's number. At the beginning of the third year the target number is 95%. Fourth year and beyond is 100%.

Twentysix
10-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Progress toward a degree is one part of the requirement, but there is also a GPA component that gets progressively tougher each year. It's based on the school's GPA requirement for graduation. At the beginning of the second year, the student-athlete must have a GPA of 90% of the school's number. At the beginning of the third year the target number is 95%. Fourth year and beyond is 100%.

And NDSU's gpa to graduate is?? Like 2.5 or something right?

Hammersmith
10-07-2011, 02:14 PM
And NDSU's gpa to graduate is?? Like 2.5 or something right?
Apparently 2.0. But some programs require higher grades in their courses. I seem to remember music ed requiring at least a 2.0 on all music courses required for the major, and a 2.5 overall average on those same courses. But it's been over a decade so I could well be wrong about that.

So it looks like student-athletes at NDSU need to finish their freshmen year with a 1.8 GPA, their sophomore year with a 1.9, and hit a 2.0 by the end of their junior year.

BTW, I checked a few of our regional neighbors(UMTC, SDSU & UND) and all of them had the same 2.0 requirement.