PDA

View Full Version : Dexter Werner Interview

The Lost Dutchman
09-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Jack Michaels talked with recent Bison commit Dexter Werner this afternoon about selecting the Bison, sounds like a good kid who will fit into the program perfectly! http://740thefan.com/uploads/Dexter%20Werner.mp3

devin45k
09-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Glad he chose NDSU over Cal-Poly, SDSU, and Lehigh

semobison
09-29-2011, 10:16 PM
I have been watching Dexter since he was starting at Bismarck high as a freshman. Big kid, physical play wont be a problem! He has been primary a back to the basket guy though, and at 6-5 is a little on the short side for the 4 or 5 spot! It will be intersting to see if he can get comfortable playing a little further from the basket.

devin45k
09-29-2011, 10:22 PM
I have been watching Dexter since he was starting at Bismarck high as a freshman. Big kid, physical play wont be a problem! He has been primary a back to the basket guy though, and at 6-5 is a little on the short side for the 4 or 5 spot! It will be intersting to see if he can get comfortable playing a little further from the basket.

My sister, former BHS student and freshman Umary track and field athlete, Is not sure he is physical enough for it. I disagree and if not yet, I am sure he will learn.

ndsubison1
09-30-2011, 04:44 AM
im still a little skeptical. he seems a little undersized. i know we playi n the summit league where undersized post players exist. but not sure he has a set position or fits well at the DI level. time will tell

BFKasper14
09-30-2011, 04:52 AM
I was following high school basketball pretty closely this past year. I went to the state tournament in the Fargodome and got to watch Dexter Werner play...
He is a big physical kid at 6' 5" and 240 lbs. The big question mark is where do they play him? Yes he shot 52% but how much of that 52% was on post up plays against a high school post player where he played as a post. In college basketball, you can not be 6'5" and go up against a 4 or 5 guy that is 6'9 or 6'10. I want to know where they are going to play him. He didn't attempt ANY three pointers last year, and shot 50% from the foul line so his outside shooting is a questionmark too...

My friend and I both thought the same thing at the state game. That he didn't look like a division 1 basketball player.

Now, that being said...he could grow a couple inches which would be great. That would give him a way better shot at playing a 4 or 5 with his strength. This is a questionable move by the Bison IMO...It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Strommer10
09-30-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm surprised by NDSU going after Dexter. Every time I've seen him play, I thought his college sport would be football. He's got the frame to play on the football field, but he's a little bit short for the back to the basket post he likes to be on the court. He is athletic for his size but his shoot definitely worries me. He does have a couple years to work on it (assuming he redshirts). I have nothing against recruiting the best ND players, but I think this is a curious move by the Bison.

admin
09-30-2011, 02:15 PM
It really sounds like his AAU season tipped the balance. It'll be interesting to see how his HS season goes.

roadwarrior
09-30-2011, 02:17 PM
If the Bison weren't after him and he went out of state, everyone would be asking "why didn't NDSU go after him?".

westnodak93bison
09-30-2011, 04:11 PM
If the Bison weren't after him and he went out of state, everyone would be asking "why didn't NDSU go after him?".

Not me. I'm skeptical but I hope he turns out to be a stud. I hope this wasn't done to appease whomever is putting pressure on Saul to sign a ND kid.

IzzyFlexion
10-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Not me. I'm skeptical but I hope he turns out to be a stud. I hope this wasn't done to appease whomever is putting pressure on Saul to sign a ND kid.

Make no mistake about it.

No matter the degree of influence, BELIEVE that this a factor. In the NDSU culture, being a rural state with fewer athlete's to evaluate, having talent in the media guide and/or game programs with "So and So....from XXXXX High School XXXXXX, North Dakota" is very important.
I wouldn't call it pressure, but the program understands these matters inside out.

herdmember
10-03-2011, 02:47 AM
Burgundy has been strangely quiet on this one. NDSU is out of hoops scholarships now until the 2013 for Zastrow's and Nagel's spots, right?

Kermit
10-03-2011, 05:59 AM
NDSU is out of hoops scholarships now until the 2013 for Zastrow's and Nagel's spots, right?

True. Werner and Brett Vandenbergh will be the freshman class for 2012. They are both strong, tough kids and they will provide some needed depth at the forward spots.

Dexter Werner REALLY impressed people this summer playing against excellent (and bigger) competition in AAU ball. The suggestion on this thread that he got an offer from NDSU only because he is from ND would be a big surprise to the coaching staffs of the 3 non-ND DI programs that had already offered scholarships.

ThunderDan
10-04-2011, 02:33 AM
Make no mistake about it.

No matter the degree of influence, BELIEVE that this a factor. In the NDSU culture, being a rural state with fewer athlete's to evaluate, having talent in the media guide and/or game programs with "So and So....from XXXXX High School XXXXXX, North Dakota" is very important.
I wouldn't call it pressure, but the program understands these matters inside out.

Ahhhh, I seriously hope Saul isn't dumb enough to sign a kid from ND because of "pressure"
If he wants to win, he will get the best players, which means there is little chance that player will be from North Dakota. Just being a realist here. Not saying that this kid won't be good by the time he's a junior, but in the grand scheme of things, there is a very small chance. When Lucas Moormann and Austin Pennick are the last two players from ND to play in the last 6 years, it doesn't exactly leave high hopes.

344Johnson
10-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Well we should see how it goes, yeah, a bit short. But he is big and strong. Sometimes undersized guys can do pretty good in college. Maybe he can play a 3-spot? A 4-spot if we go to a small lineup?

HandoEX
10-04-2011, 03:32 PM
He is one inch shorter than our starting 4 from the last few seasons and he's 20 pounds heavier (and pretty strong from what I've heard) than Carlson. I am not too worried about his height if he is strong and wide.

bisonfan08
10-04-2011, 04:08 PM
I think he's a kid that will be able to contribute in-conference, but if we are trying to build the team to go out of conference and compete with Minnesota, ASU and some of the other programs we are scheduling we need more height at the 4 spot. Now granted I got 2 inches taller my senior year of high school through middle of my freshman year of college and that could happen to him as well, but if it doesn't he's gonna have to have the moves Winks did to get a shot off down low. The other reason our staff may have gone this way is because I think it could have been a tough year for Saul to recruit. The top talents going to Mid-Major schools are going to want to play right away, there isn't much opportunity for that on our squad right now because we have so much young talent. If recruits are seeing talent like Kading most likely ending up redshirting, they may assume that's the route they are going as well and if so they will take a scholarship elsewhere if playing right away is at the top of their priority list. That all being said, Saul has shown he knows how to recruit to build a program, if he thinks this kid has what it takes to play ball at a level suitable for Bison D1 hoops then I'm guessing he's got it.

HandoEX
10-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Physically, he reminds me of Noah Dahlman and he was a beast for Wofford.

Mr. Burgundy
10-05-2011, 12:32 AM
This is a quality signing, and what really motivates Saul on this kid is that he has never recruited a kid who has wanted to be a Bison as much as this kid did. He grew up in Fargo, and always wanted to be a Bison. I remember talking to Saul when he was in Vegas watching this kid. Stuff like....He is alot better than we thought he was. He gets rebounds in space (coach talk), and he has a legit 6'11 wingspan. He is a talented kid that has 4 D1 offers. I also like that he is ready to redshirt and be a program kid, at the mid major level, we need to be deep and ready to compete. He is a workout warrior who wants to be a Bison. Sorry for the delayed response, been traveling. Although, I knew this was a kid we were landing for a long time. When Showalter went to Madison (walk on), I knew we were getting Dexter. Having Dexter and Vandenbergh coming in together will be fun.

Strommer10
10-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Like Burgundy mentioned, he does a sizable wingspan for his height. This helps him rebound extremely well.

It's good to here his committment to the program. We need guys like that if the program wants to succeed. He might not start anytime soon, but there will be needs for someone to come in, rebound, and play defense.

344Johnson
10-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Like Burgundy mentioned, he does a sizable wingspan for his height. This helps him rebound extremely well.

It's good to here his committment to the program. We need guys like that if the program wants to succeed. He might not start anytime soon, but there will be needs for someone to come in, rebound, and play defense.

He might not ever start, but if he is willing to do his part on the team, like I assume he is, then I am excited to have him.

The great thing about getting kids from North Dakota is that you know they are probably really excited to represent their home state.

Strommer10
10-16-2011, 08:12 AM
He might not ever start, but if he is willing to do his part on the team, like I assume he is, then I am excited to have him.

The great thing about getting kids from North Dakota is that you know they are probably really excited to represent their home state.
Exactly, and from everything I've heard, he really wanted to come here before he got an offer. He might not light up the stat book in his career, but great teams need team players.

Who knows, maybe he will prove us wrong and be a starter later on and be a key contributor.

Mr. Burgundy
10-16-2011, 12:07 PM
People are talking like we just picked up a solid backup, won't put up stats....etc. This kid is a great get. He had 4 legit D1 offers. His 6'11 wingspan opened a ton of eyes at the AAU level. Coaches raved about his rebounding and size. He isn't a kid that has to come in and add 40 pounds to play at this level. He is a kid with a motor that wanted to be a Bison the entire time. I am excited about him, plus he is already prepping to redshirt....we have done well with program kids. 5 years and he will have had a great career.

Strommer10
10-16-2011, 05:34 PM
People are talking like we just picked up a solid backup, won't put up stats....etc. This kid is a great get. He had 4 legit D1 offers. His 6'11 wingspan opened a ton of eyes at the AAU level. Coaches raved about his rebounding and size. He isn't a kid that has to come in and add 40 pounds to play at this level. He is a kid with a motor that wanted to be a Bison the entire time. I am excited about him, plus he is already prepping to redshirt....we have done well with program kids. 5 years and he will have had a great career.
Exactly, I'm not saying he is a bad player. He is what you need for a successful program, someone who can rebound and play defense. He's not a bad offensive player in high school either, but it might take some getting used to getting a shot off consistently against a guy that 3-4" taller than he is, in college.

Mr. Burgundy
10-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Kids are recruited on the AAU curcuit. He had times where he dominated bigtime competition. The Las Vegas Invite was really important for him and showed our staff that he can flat out play. I like getting a big every year. Kading will redshirt this year, and has a knee bruise right now, adding this kid the following year will be great.

runtheoption
10-27-2011, 02:31 PM
More on Werner. Could probably be a major contributor at FCS level football.

http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/werner-a-true-triple-threat-bhs-senior-ready-to-go/article_abf7befe-0057-11e1-b71a-001cc4c03286.html

Mr. Burgundy
03-21-2015, 04:03 PM

Solid analysis. Dex blew up last night. What a great story. Hard work pays off!

NDSUFan_Sav
03-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Solid analysis. Dex blew up last night. What a great story. Hard work pays off!
Got to be a huge confidence boost being able to know you just backed down 7'1 and 6'11 guys and took it too them.

BYZEN
03-21-2015, 05:09 PM
Got to be a huge confidence boost being able to know you just backed down 7'1 and 6'11 guys and took it too them.

Isn't the one projected as a first round pick and another third? Dex dribbled into and shot at will on these guys. No smaller guys have been able to do that to them all year.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-21-2015, 05:13 PM
Isn't the one projected as a first round pick and another third? Dex dribbled into and shot at will on these guys. No smaller guys have been able to do that to them all year.
Well there is only 2 rounds in the NBA draft. Sabonis will be a great player for Gonzaga, he's only a freshmen too.

IzzyFlexion
03-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Dex showed a lot of composure on that big stage. Kid just flat out did his job. Can't wait to see his develop further. Just a young'un.

ndsubison1
03-22-2015, 06:48 AM

sabonis is projected 2016 1st and Wiltjer late 2nd. Things could change, good or bad.

BYZEN
03-22-2015, 02:23 PM
sabonis is projected 2016 1st and Wiltjer late 2nd. Things could change, good or bad.

Doop:blush: This is what I was trying to say.