PDA

View Full Version : Bohl eligible?

moosbah
09-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Saw the article recently about how Bohl is once again in the wind for a FBS job if he keeps up his winning ways. With the complete lack of obligation in todays coaching contracts a coach can jet at virtually any time. Think he'll stay or go? Just wondering what the crowd thinks?????

tony
09-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Saw the article recently about how Bohl is once again in the wind for a FBS job if he keeps up his winning ways. With the complete lack of obligation in todays coaching contracts a coach can jet at virtually any time. Think he'll stay or go? Just wondering what the crowd thinks?????

The stages of Bisonville: Get mad that Bohl got hired, worry about Bohl leaving, call for Bohl to be fired, call for a coordinator to be fired, worry about Bohl leaving, worry after a coordinator leaves, call for Bohl to be fired, demand that a coordinator be fired, etc.

Bison03
09-28-2011, 07:27 PM
I think Bohl likes it here. That's why he signed a long contract. At an FBS school, you have one bad year and they could kick you out. With the success he has had here, he is king at NDSU and of Fargo. I think he wants to lead a team to a title. If he does that, who knows. I hope we have to deal with that scenario.

Civil06
09-28-2011, 07:33 PM
The stages of Bisonville: Get mad that Bohl got hired, worry about Bohl leaving, call for Bohl to be fired, call for a coordinator to be fired, worry about Bohl leaving, worry after a coordinator leaves, call for Bohl to be fired, demand that a coordinator be fired, etc.

I got to listen to a very entertaining economist (oxymoron?) last week, and he described our society, with our 24-hr news cycle and jump off a cliff reaction everytime there's bad economic news, as "armageddon hypochondriacs". Also, he said "Go Bison" at least three times during his address, in the Twin Cities mind you, and noted that his son attends NDSU and the Gophers were going down. His phd was from Iowa State, and he had my attention the whole time.

I think "armageddon hypochondriacs" descibes sports fans quite nicely as well. Every time things are too good, we think it'll all come crashing down hard at the first sign of bad news, and when times are tough or the team isn't performing, we think things are much worse than they probably are. Is Bohl going to leave for an FBS job. I don't know, but I bet we could find an adequate replacement. I hope he stays, though.

CaBisonFan
09-28-2011, 08:01 PM
If he gets 6 wins...he will be.

moosbah
09-28-2011, 08:12 PM

I personally don't get too attached to coaches anymore, but I would be disappointed if he left. I think we all would like him to stay.

AjaxTheMighty
09-28-2011, 08:43 PM
I hope he stays. I have always liked him. When we were 3-8, some idiots on here wanted him out because he didn't adequately recruit a QB. I'm thinking the 6 wins comment was tongue-in-cheek. I think Bohl needs to push for a national title or win it a few times. How long was Kill in SIU?

THEsocalledfan
09-28-2011, 09:22 PM
I hope he stays. I have always liked him. When we were 3-8, some idiots on here wanted him out because he didn't adequately recruit a QB. I'm thinking the 6 wins comment was tongue-in-cheek. I think Bohl needs to push for a national title or win it a few times. How long was Kill in SIU?

Ain't that the truth. I could not figure out how you could negate two consecutive 10-1 seasons, a Great West Conference Title, and numerous FBS wins due to one poor year. I said at the time, if he did it a again the next year, I would be more apt to agree, but guess what? He didn't. Instead, he took a young, hungry team to the quarter finals.

That, my friend, is quality coaching. Is he perfect? Heck no, but I have yet to see a coach who is. I just wish he would have pulled the plug on Mertens much sooner!

bisonsupporter
09-28-2011, 09:27 PM
I think anytime there is a coaching opening, Bohl's name will be on the list.

TheBisonator
09-28-2011, 09:41 PM
If he gets 6 wins...he will be.

I must be the only one who gets this post.

Answer Guy
09-28-2011, 10:02 PM
I must be the only one who gets this post.

Yes. You are smartre than all us Yankees.

TheBisonator
09-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Yes. You are smartre than all us Yankees.

I am so smart, I am so smart, S-M-R-T....

NWNDBison
09-28-2011, 10:54 PM
And then there's Jerry Moore. 22 years at Appalachian State. He was almost 70 before he got his first national title, so maybe that's why he didn't move on. He's 74 now, so he's probably not going anywhere. The Joe Paterno of FCS? But he was a winning coach decades before his national titles.

A bona fide legend in the college football coaching ranks, 2011 is Jerry Moore’s 23rd year at the helm of Appalachian State University’s football program.

In 22 seasons at Appalachian, Moore has compiled a 199-79 record, making him the winningest coach in Southern Conference history. In 29 years as a head coach, he is 226-127-2, making him one of only seven active NCAA Division I FCS head coaches with 200 career victories and 20th among all NCAA Division I coaches (FCS or FBS) in all-time victories.

There are many reasons coaches leave and just as many why they stay. I do think it would take a VERY lucrative offer from just the right university for Bohl to pull up stakes. He seems to have no intention of leaving until he has at least one national championship to notch in his belt.

WRSDBison
09-28-2011, 10:59 PM
He gone...

CaBisonFan
09-28-2011, 10:59 PM
If we have success in the program...which we want badly...we will lose coaches. Bring on a national title. We just reload.

CaBisonFan
09-28-2011, 11:08 PM
I am so smart, I am so smart, S-M-R-T....

He's more smarter 'n more gooderenum 'n most of us...:rimshot:

semobison
09-28-2011, 11:20 PM
We won national championships in the 80's with 3 different coaches!

CaBisonFan
09-28-2011, 11:29 PM
He gone...

Are you a White Sox fan??

fargocyclone
09-29-2011, 12:08 AM
I got to listen to a very entertaining economist (oxymoron?) last week, and he described our society, with our 24-hr news cycle and jump off a cliff reaction everytime there's bad economic news, as "armageddon hypochondriacs". Also, he said "Go Bison" at least three times during his address, in the Twin Cities mind you, and noted that his son attends NDSU and the Gophers were going down. His phd was from Iowa State, and he had my attention the whole time.

Sounds like a pretty cool guy to me!

yellowstreak
09-29-2011, 01:49 AM

Maybe Ryan Kelly will keep him there

bisonfan11
09-29-2011, 02:21 AM
I really feel that coach Bohl will stay at NDSU for now. The FBS teams that need a coach are pretty poor teams and that alone would be a turn-off for Bohl. The only coaching position Bohl might be interested is if Nebraska even needs a new head coach (he has ties there), other than that I think he will stay put as long as NDSU keeps him there. Why the heck would Bohl leave NDSU to coach for some cellar dwelling FBS school? I really think he feels completely happy here.

chuckles
09-29-2011, 02:58 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/335341/publisher_ID/1/

I'm with Kolpack on this one.

HerdBot
09-29-2011, 03:19 AM
If he can land a HC job at a BCS Conference team I could see him leaving but that's it. He's not going to leave for a middle of the road D1 team. NDSU is the best D1AA job in country and I think he likes it here. His wife has lived here for many years. He's a rock star in the FM area and he is paid quite well and will continue to get more. He's a Nebraska guy and guys from Nebraska tend to like the midwest. He's not some hot shot from CALIFORNIA! He likely will need to go the Tressel route and win a National Championship (or 4) to move up.

Notorious
09-29-2011, 05:12 AM
Maybe Ryan Kelly will keep him there

Who's he?...

BisonNeil
09-29-2011, 01:07 PM
And then there's Jerry Moore. 22 years at Appalachian State. He was almost 70 before he got his first national title, so maybe that's why he didn't move on. He's 74 now, so he's probably not going anywhere. The Joe Paterno of FCS? But he was a winning coach decades before his national titles.

A bona fide legend in the college football coaching ranks, 2011 is Jerry Moore’s 23rd year at the helm of Appalachian State University’s football program.

In 22 seasons at Appalachian, Moore has compiled a 199-79 record, making him the winningest coach in Southern Conference history. In 29 years as a head coach, he is 226-127-2, making him one of only seven active NCAA Division I FCS head coaches with 200 career victories and 20th among all NCAA Division I coaches (FCS or FBS) in all-time victories.

There are many reasons coaches leave and just as many why they stay. I do think it would take a VERY lucrative offer from just the right university for Bohl to pull up stakes. He seems to have no intention of leaving until he has at least one national championship to notch in his belt.

Jerry Moore didn't move on largely because he has already been in the big leagues and failed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Moore

344Johnson
09-29-2011, 01:18 PM
If he can land a HC job at a BCS Conference team I could see him leaving but that's it. He's not going to leave for a middle of the road D1 team. NDSU is the best D1AA job in country and I think he likes it here. His wife has lived here for many years. He's a rock star in the FM area and he is paid quite well and will continue to get raises. He's a Nebraska guy and guys from Nebraska tend to like the midwest. He's not some hot shot from CALIFORNIA! He likely will need to go the Tressel route and win a National Championship (or 4) to move up.

I agree that he probably likes it here but I don't think NDSU is the best D1AA job in the country. Some might say Montana, JMU, Richmond, App St., Georgia Southern, and a few others are better jobs. NDSU does have the unique position of being the best football team in a multi-state area however, which must be nice for coaches. Does most of Georgia read articles about how good Southern is doing? Probably not, they are more interested in Georgia and Tech, in North Dakota, when it is football season, it is all about the Bison and how UND is going toe-to-toe with teams.

BisonNeil
09-29-2011, 01:22 PM
If he can land a HC job at a BCS Conference team I could see him leaving but that's it. He's not going to leave for a middle of the road D1 team. NDSU is the best D1AA job in country and I think he likes it here. His wife has lived here for many years. He's a rock star in the FM area and he is paid quite well and will continue to get raises. He's a Nebraska guy and guys from Nebraska tend to like the midwest. He's not some hot shot from CALIFORNIA! He likely will need to go the Tressel route and win a National Championship (or 4) to move up.

Probably ONE of the best, but not likely the best. The aforementioned Moore is much closer to the hotbed of talent playing in great stadium with fantastic facilities. But, your point is well taken, this is a good job in FCS and I think Bohl likes it here.

And for those of you on here who are being critical of those who have criticized Bohl in the past, that is all well and good, but I am not ashamed to have been one of those guys. Bohl didn't recruit a QB for 2 years, and defended it by saying you can't put too many scholarships into that position. Yeah, right. But more importantly, Bohl failed to recruit effectively for much of his early-mid career at NDSU. Bohl won with stars recruited by Babich. This season, for the first time in his career at NDSU, Bohl will cement a winning record with his players. Players that HE recruited and developed. This is his 9th year, and I did not think it was acceptable for a head coach to have had those kind of lapses in recruiting and I will not be ashamed of calling him on the carpet for it. So, you want to be critical of guys like me, well, shove it.

344Johnson
09-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Probably ONE of the best, but not likely the best. The aforementioned Moore is much closer to the hotbed of talent playing in great stadium with fantastic facilities. But, your point is well taken, this is a good job in FCS and I think Bohl likes it here.

And for those of you on here who are being critical of those who have criticized Bohl in the past, that is all well and good, but I am not ashamed to have been one of those guys. Bohl didn't recruit a QB for 2 years, and defended it by saying you can't put too many scholarships into that position. Yeah, right. But more importantly, Bohl failed to recruit effectively for much of his early-mid career at NDSU. Bohl won with stars recruited by Babich. This season, for the first time in his career at NDSU, Bohl has a winning record with talent that HE recruited and developed. This is his 9th year, and I did not think it was acceptable for a head coach to have had that kind of lapses in recruiting and I will not be ashamed of calling him on the carpet for it. So, you want to be critical of guys like me, well, shove it.

I think (and hope) that he learned from his mistake. Perhaps he just took having a great quarterback like Walker for granted.

HerdBot
09-29-2011, 02:13 PM
I agree that he probably likes it here but I don't think NDSU is the best D1AA job in the country. Some might say Montana, JMU, Richmond, App St., Georgia Southern, and a few others are better jobs. NDSU does have the unique position of being the best football team in a multi-state area however, which must be nice for coaches. Does most of Georgia read articles about how good Southern is doing? Probably not, they are more interested in Georgia and Tech, in North Dakota, when it is football season, it is all about the Bison and how UND is going toe-to-toe with teams.

Maybe not the best but easily ONE of the best. I think he's getting paid like one of the best too. And the best part is we haven't even been a full fledged D1 member for very long. We haven't even peaked yet. Our best days are ahead of us. Had we been D1 for longer we would probably already have gotten a few National Championships.

THEsocalledfan
09-29-2011, 02:25 PM
I think (and hope) that he learned from his mistake. Perhaps he just took having a great quarterback like Walker for granted.

No doubt on that one. Thus the reason the criticism was so unfair. I would hate to work for BisonNeil. I am not allowed to make any mistakes when I am a new Head Coach in Division 1? Come on, Neil, get real. I have made all kinds of mistakes in my job, and guess what? I learned from them and got better. So did coach Bohl. Still doubt that?

1. He has a stable of QB's at this point. Yes, only one is proven. (yes, I firmly on the Jensen bandwagon at this point)
2. He pulled the plug on Jose when Jensen showed flashes of brilliance; injuries are all that kept him out.
3 Vigen clealry looks better at this point in his performance.

Losing record with his players? Wow, what a glass half empty view. How about taking a young team last year, who were getting the %ss handed to them in the MVFC conference, and making a serious National Title run that was only interupted by the eventual champs and a horrible official call? Yes, Neil, those were his players.

CAS4127
09-29-2011, 02:51 PM

And for those of you on here who are being critical of those who have criticized Bohl in the past, that is all well and good, but I am not ashamed to have been one of those guys. Bohl didn't recruit a QB for 2 years, and defended it by saying you can't put too many scholarships into that position. Yeah, right. But more importantly, Bohl failed to recruit effectively for much of his early-mid career at NDSU. Bohl won with stars recruited by Babich. This season, for the first time in his career at NDSU, Bohl will cement a winning record with his players. Players that HE recruited and developed. This is his 9th year, and I did not think it was acceptable for a head coach to have had those kind of lapses in recruiting and I will not be ashamed of calling him on the carpet for it. So, you want to be critical of guys like me, well, shove it.

Well, IMO, we were also not playing the same level of competition back when Bohl was winning with so-called Babich "stars". That said, I otherwise agree with you, BNeil.

Food for thought here for whomever wants to consider it: Bohl told his team (which includes Vigen the last time I checked) to not be conservative against Minnesota. I say good directive from him, and apparently Vigen and the D listened. Perhaps Bohl knows that we have to open things up and use our talent this year rather than just relying on the same bread-and-butter plays that were called all of last year until our D-coordinator came up with a new play in the playoffs, but then that got run at least one time too many times (I think we all know what play I am talking about).

Here's to continuing the philosophy shown in the Minny game!!!!!

bisonfan11
09-29-2011, 04:02 PM
I also think that Bohl has more confidence in his team this year than he did last year. I know for a while when the Bison were so-so, Bohl consistently said this team is "young". And while NDSU is still considered a young team, Bohl's attitude has more swagger to it this year. I mean the whole goal against Kansas last year was to play it conservative, and then against the Goofs this year Bohl tells Vigan to not be conservative. Yes, Bohl puts a lot of faith in the team leaders (i.e. Seniors), however it is noted that Bohl's own attitude reflects on the players. Sure there may still be some fans that don't trust that '09 was a fluke (Bohl has admittingly made some mistakes up to that point), but with the way '10 season ended and how we have started this year I think it is safe to say we have a legit "NSDU-type" team. Now will Bohl head for the BCS? Only if there is a job that is attractive to him. I don't see Bohl being the next head coach for New Mexico St, Iowa St, San Jose St, ect (bottom feeder teams in the BCS). And considering with the wonderful facilities, and a great fan base there is no reason for Bohl to leave. I like Bohl, not only has he done well at NDSU, but he really likes it here and to me as a fan I really appreciate that. Unless a higher caliber BCS team is looking for a new head coach, Craig Bohl won't be going anywhere.

THEsocalledfan
09-29-2011, 04:17 PM
One other note:

Someone mentioned if Nebraska came calling, Bohl would leave. I firmly believe that to be true. But, they won't. They have long memories there, and he was widely blamed for poor recruiting under Solich.

bisonfan11
09-29-2011, 04:32 PM
One other note:

Someone mentioned is Nebraska came calling, Bohl would leave. I firmly believe that to be true. But, they won't. They have long memories there, and he was widely blamed for poor recruiting under Solich.Honestly given his ties to that program (and the state, he lives there in the off-season i believe) that would be the only job he would be interested in. I don't see Bohl as some one who would want to ever coach a program like USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, ect (the big name schools), and on the same hand I don't think Bohl has any interest in job like Minnesota, Iowa St ,or any bottom feeder team either. That would make for Bohl's tenure at NDSU as look as Gene wants him as the Bison head coach IMHO.

Capn_Cat
09-29-2011, 04:49 PM
The stages of Bisonville: Get mad that Bohl got hired, lose to UNI, worry about Bohl leaving, lose to UNI, call for Bohl to be fired, call for a coordinator to be fired, lose to UNI, worry about Bohl leaving, worry after a coordinator leaves, call for Bohl to be fired, lose to UNI, demand that a coordinator be fired, etc.

FIFY

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

tcbison
09-29-2011, 05:18 PM
I don't think Bohl is leaving for a say a year or two. If I were looking to hire a coach and saw a 10-14 record in conference play, there would be big concerns. I think they would back off at least this year anyway. Heck, even if NDSU go 6-2 in conference play that would get the conference record only to .500.

EndZoneQB
09-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Honestly given his ties to that program (and the state, he lives there in the off-season i believe) that would be the only job he would be interested in. I don't see Bohl as some one who would want to ever coach a program like USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, ect (the big name schools), and on the same hand I don't think Bohl has any interest in job like Minnesota, Iowa St ,or any bottom feeder team either. That would make for Bohl's tenure at NDSU as look as Gene wants him as the Bison head coach IMHO.

Short memory? He was a finalist for the Minnesota job already...

Answer Guy
09-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Who's he?...

Bison slot/kick returner.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?24843-Ryan-Smith

Try to keep up.

bisonfan11
09-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Short memory? He was a finalist for the Minnesota job already...That was after Glen Mason was fired the Gopher job looked more entising then. Now the program is in shambles, Bohl would never take on that kind of a project at a school that is that poor. Plus Gene is a much better AD than Joel Maturi is. It helps that Bohl's boss is a good one.

WRSDBison
09-30-2011, 01:19 AM
Are you a White Sox fan??

HAHA. No, but I'm glad you understood where I was going with that.

WYOBISONMAN
09-30-2011, 03:08 AM
That was after Glen Mason was fired the Gopher job looked more entising then. Now the program is in shambles, Bohl would never take on that kind of a project at a school that is that poor. Plus Gene is a much better AD than Joel Maturi is. It helps that Bohl's boss is a good one.

It is all about money......