PDA

View Full Version : Two-Quarterback Trend

CaBisonFan
09-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Since Florida won their title with Leak & Tebow sharing QB duties a trend has been slowly growing. Two quarterbacks are seeing more playing time during crucial parts of games.

A recent article on msn/fox sports tells it better than I will be able to...but it's clear that playing two quarterbacks in a game is no longer viewed as taboo by some pretty elite coaches.

I know...the old school says to develop one leader and go with him. Makes perfect sense really...but something is changing. Could the quarterback position be going the way of the starting pitcher...the one who could finish a game because he deserved to?

Is it possible that in their desire to 'keep' two blue-chip quarterbacks on the team coaches have given in to this trend?

Obviously...injuries are a part of the events of the early part of this season. To be sure...coaches are still in the evaluation stage.

But I ask...is it such a bad idea to have two guys who have a similar experience level if one gets hurt...or...(ouch)...quits the team?

Please...please...help me out here. Brock deserves to start. We're lucky to have 3 really talented young quarterbacks. Each has their strengths. Let's not debate who deserves to start...please.

CaBisonFan
09-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Add one more thing:

It appears that Michigan is planning to implement a spread 'and' pro-style offense to use whenever they please. Wonder if that will change their recruiting for the type of athlete that they want at qb.

OrygunBison
09-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Add one more thing:

It appears that Michigan is planning to implement a spread 'and' pro-style offense to use whenever they please. Wonder if that will change their recruiting for the type of athlete that they want at qb.

Behind the Bison, my favorite team is the Wolverines so I try to keep up with the times regarding all things Blue. As it relates to the quarterback and what formations they are running, I don't know what the heck is going on. Perhaps that is the point.

Regarding how it affects recruiting, it is hard to tell. Denard is a freak. I think that his sort of abilities only come along every once in awhile and you just need to change what you are doing to best utilize his skills. Because of his unique abilities, I wouldn't really look to Michigan as a trend setter. They'll go back to being "old Michigan" when he graduates.

perthbison
09-21-2011, 02:11 AM
But I ask...is it such a bad idea to have two guys who have a similar experience level if one gets hurt...or...(ouch)...quits the team?

The last time Nebraska won a championship, 10 years ago or so, They used a guy named Frazier and another guy, don't recall his name, at quarterback. Frazier was a option, carry the ball type and the other was more a prototypical type. Warren Sapp was a senior for Florida in this game. But it is a concept that has been used before. Sometimes it was sucessful, often times not, for why I don't know.

bisonmike2
09-21-2011, 03:10 AM
The last time Nebraska won a championship, 10 years ago or so, They used a guy named Frazier and another guy, don't recall his name, at quarterback. Frazier was a option, carry the ball type and the other was more a prototypical type. Warren Sapp was a senior for Florida in this game. But it is a concept that has been used before. Sometimes it was sucessful, often times not, for why I don't know.

Just a fyi. Frazier wasn't there for the last championship. It was Scott Frost in 1997. Frazier was a full time QB. They didn't swap him out. If Frazier was out it was either because they were up by 40 or he was hurt. I think it was Brooks Bollinger that was the backup and he was more of a pocket passer. Tommie wasn't that bad of thrower either, he just didn't need to throw that much because they also had Lawrence Phillips and Ahman Green.

HerdBot
09-21-2011, 03:13 AM
Since Florida won their title with Leak & Tebow sharing QB duties a trend has been slowly growing. Two quarterbacks are seeing more playing time during crucial parts of games.

A recent article on msn/fox sports tells it better than I will be able to...but it's clear that playing two quarterbacks in a game is no longer viewed as taboo by some pretty elite coaches.

I know...the old school says to develop one leader and go with him. Makes perfect sense really...but something is changing. Could the quarterback position be going the way of the starting pitcher...the one who could finish a game because he deserved to?

Is it possible that in their desire to 'keep' two blue-chip quarterbacks on the team coaches have given in to this trend?

Obviously...injuries are a part of the events of the early part of this season. To be sure...coaches are still in the evaluation stage.

Please...please...help me out here. Brock deserves to start. We're lucky to have 3 really talented young quarterbacks. Each has their strengths. Let's not debate who deserves to start...please.
I think the fad of running the wildcat started it. Trend

perthbison
09-21-2011, 04:08 AM
Just a fyi. Frazier wasn't there for the last championship. It was Scott Frost in 1997. Frazier was a full time QB. They didn't swap him out. If Frazier was out it was either because they were up by 40 or he was hurt. I think it was Brooks Bollinger that was the backup and he was more of a pocket passer. Tommie wasn't that bad of thrower either, he just didn't need to throw that much because they also had Lawrence Phillips and Ahman Green.

I thought Brooks went to Wisconsin:confused:

ndsubison1
09-21-2011, 04:22 AM

it started back with peyton manning and tee martin! haha

NDSUstudent
09-21-2011, 04:24 AM
Yeah he did go to Wisky.

As for the two QB idea, I don't see it working here with the offense we run and personnel we have.

ndsubison1
09-21-2011, 04:25 AM

sapp went to miami

56BISON73
09-21-2011, 04:26 AM

I dont see where playing two QBs is a trend. All teams want to have two top notch QBs. That has always been a trend.

ndsubison1
09-21-2011, 04:27 AM

yeah. and he played from 99-02

silkamilkamonico
09-21-2011, 04:38 AM
I dont see where playing two QBs is a trend. All teams want to have two top notch QBs. That has always been a trend.

Yea I don't see a trend either. I don't even recall a relevant team on a national level implementing a scheme with 2 QB's since FLorida and Leak/Tebow.

CaBisonFan
09-21-2011, 04:40 AM

A very large amount of high-profile programs are doing it. It has been building. That's called a trend.

silkamilkamonico
09-21-2011, 04:43 AM
A very large amount of high-profile programs are doing it. It has been building. That's called a trend.

Who are these programs? I cannot think of 1, and I keep track or literally every upper tier team in BCS conferences.

56BISON73
09-21-2011, 04:48 AM

Name the LARGE amount of high profile programs. I would be interested.

CaBisonFan
09-21-2011, 04:50 AM
For starters:

Penn State, Arkansas, Florida (again), Miami, and I believe...Ohio State.

Those were some of the teams. I can't find the link to the original article, but I'll keep looking for it.

The article said that some of it is by design...as in the reasoning behind the Leak/Tebow duo.

Not saying we should. This isn't a campaign. Brock is our man until/unless he is injured, or falters badly.

56BISON73
09-21-2011, 04:52 AM
For starters:

Those were some of the teams. I can't find the link to the original article, but I'll keep looking for it.

The article said that some of it is by design...as in the reasoning behind the Leak/Tebow duo.

When has Penn State , Arkansas and Ohio State played a two QB system?????

DjKyRo
09-21-2011, 04:52 AM
The only program I can think of off the top of my head is, coincidentally, Florida. They did a lot of what Villanova did last season, switching in freshman Trey Burton at QB, WR, and TE in place of starter John Brantley. I remember when they played Kentucky last year and the freshman had 6 TDs, the dude was one of those freak athletes that just make you shake your head.

Granted, he's on the roster as a RB so I really don't know if you could call him a QB, but he'd pass out of the Wildcat every so often. Obviously this situation isn't terribly close to what CA is describing but it's about the closest I can think of.

CaBisonFan
09-21-2011, 04:53 AM
When has Penn State , Arkansas and Ohio State played a two QB system?????

Now........want me to Google it for you?

Type....two...quarterback...system...2011.

CaBisonFan
09-21-2011, 04:58 AM
Here's one fir ya. It's not the original article...it's in the writing. Saw it on TV. Heard announcers talking about it. The FBI confirmed it. Das Motherland Security is looking into it for me.

http://www.thelantern.com/sports/football/two-quarterback-system-working-for-ohio-state-after-win-no-1-1.2574021

silkamilkamonico
09-21-2011, 05:01 AM
None of those teams run a dual QB "scheme".

Arkansas is hardly a trend in the 2 QB system. They just graduated a high calibur all conference stud in Ryan Mallet, and are trying to see which QB is going to separate himself as their future. Bobby Petrino does not run anything close to a dual QB system.

Florida is transitioning from a spread to a Pro style offense. John Brantley is their QB. Jeff Driskel hasn't seen anything more than mop up time in that offense. I am not sure where you are getting this.

Miami's QB is Jacory Harris, and he is their starter, period. He was suspended the first game, and Miami runs a strict Pro Style offense.

Penn State has 2 QB's who are average at best. They do not have a true #1. Both QB's have a combined rushing of 8 yards on 9 carries. They are both "passing" QB's, and not very good ones.

Ohio State is in transition, and after losing Pryor along with offseason turmoil just don't have a true #1. Their freshman is their future, but he isn't ready to take over as an every down back and doesn't even know the entire offense.

None of the colleges you mentioned run a true dual QB "system". The 2 QB system is a passing fad and colleges do everything they can to stray from it.

56BISON73
Strange that the games Ive seen those teams play it really hasnt been apparent. Nore have the announcers mentioned it and brought it to my attention. But feel free to continue.

SlickVic
For starters:

Not saying we should. This isn't a campaign. Brock is our man until/unless he is injured, or falters badly.

It's not by design at least as far as Psu Osu and Miami go...its because those teams have 2 quarterbacks who are equally horrible...did anybody whatch that nastyness that was Ohio states 40 year old qb on Saturday night? That fool was throwing nothing but knuckleballs

silkamilkamonico
09-21-2011, 05:03 AM
Here's one fir ya. It's not the original article...it's in the writing. Saw it on TV. Heard announcers talking about it. The FBI confirmed it. Das Motherland Security is looking into it for me.

http://www.thelantern.com/sports/football/two-quarterback-system-working-for-ohio-state-after-win-no-1-1.2574021

I quit reading after the first line "Joe Bauserman wasn't necessarily expected to be Ohio State's starting quarterback."......

OSU did not purposely implement a dual QB system. They did not have a true #1. I guarantee you, if Terelle Pryor was allowed to stay in college, OSU would not be playing 2 QB's. This is an argument that was tested about 5 years ago, and died off.

56BISON73
09-21-2011, 05:06 AM

Its more of the fact that after losing Prior they are giving each QB playing time to figure out which is better and to give experience. Certainly not a trend of a 2 qb system. The above strategy has been
going on for a very long time.

ndsubison1
09-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Yea I don't see a trend either. I don't even recall a relevant team on a national level implementing a scheme with 2 QB's since FLorida and Leak/Tebow.

they werent really a two qb scheme either. leak played the majority of the time

CaBisonFan
09-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Its more of the fact that after losing Prior they are giving each QB playing time to figure out which is better and to give experience. Certainly not a trend of a 2 qb system. The above strategy has been
going on for a very long time.

I should have known. Believing anything on fox is dangerous...:cool:

ndsubison1
09-21-2011, 05:30 AM
For starters:

brantley is florida's starter. they dont use a two QB scheme

CaBisonFan
09-21-2011, 06:02 AM
It's ok guys...I should have saved the link. Just thought it was interesting. No big deal.

SlickVic
09-21-2011, 06:07 AM
It's all good gordan +++++ this buds for you

CaBisonFan
09-21-2011, 06:14 AM
It's all good gordan +++++ this buds for you

r u going to the game? either way....have one for me...:cheers:

thanks

bisonmike2
09-21-2011, 04:07 PM

whoops meant Berringer, not Bollinger.

56BISON73
09-21-2011, 10:23 PM

To your above question my answer would be NO. Anytime that Ive seen two QBs used is because they are trying see which one produces better on game day or its situational football. I dont think any coach is going to held hostage because of the lack of playing time to a blue chipper.

HandoEX
09-25-2011, 11:16 PM
There doesn't seem to be too many Gopher fans that have positive thoughts towards their two QB system!

ndsubison1
09-26-2011, 03:43 AM
they need to keep shortell at qb and move gray to wr

EndZoneQB
09-26-2011, 03:46 AM
they need to keep shortell at qb and move gray to wr

To me, this makes the most sense as well. Having McKnight and Gray at WR would cause some fits with opposing defenses. Kirkwood is a straight player, he's going to be a good one!