PDA

View Full Version : Thomas O'Brien Quit the Team

SDSUAlum08
09-19-2011, 11:00 PM
SDSU's starting quarterback has quit the team according to the SDSU coaches.

Coach Stig mentioned it on his radio show.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-19-2011, 11:07 PM
SDSU's starting quarterback has quit the team according to the SDSU coaches.

Coach Stig mentioned it on his radio show.

Wow.......oh well, your better off from what I saw. I wish our QB from a few years ago would have quit.

JSUBison
09-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Why? It appeared from last saturday that yes, TOB did have a bad game with multiple pick 6's, but the coaches seemed to stand behind him, and didn't yank him when they probably should have. Much to the consternation of Jacks fans I'm sure. But from my waaaaay distant perspective, it seems the coaches had him pegged as their man, and had his back.

I guess Stig could have told him QB#2 would be starting, but would TOB really be that shocked at that decision? He hasn't performed to scratch this year.

Weird.

Mr. Burgundy
09-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Honest question, a couple of years ago when we had no quarterback play, it seemed like SDSU was stockpiling QB's.....a couple of transfers. Wasn't one a walk on kid at Michigan? Air Force transfer? Did they all leave the program? Who else do they have at QB right now? Going to have to move a high school QB who probably went to safety or something back to QB? He wasn't good and quitting is poor, but this has to really put them in a bind.

roadwarrior
09-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Probably someone on the basketball team could take over....

NDSUstudent
09-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Thank god we only recruited him and didn't offer, could have been the Mertens era all over again.

Bison bison
09-19-2011, 11:43 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110919/UPDATES/110919059/Quarterback-Thomas-O-Brien-quits-SDSU-football-team?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home (http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110919/UPDATES/110919059/Quarterback-Thomas-O-Brien-quits-SDSU-football-team?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CHome)

HandoEX
09-19-2011, 11:46 PM
What a mess down in Brookings. TOB was an absolutely terrible QB. I'd be thrilled if I was a bunny fan.

SDSUAlum08
09-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Honest question, a couple of years ago when we had no quarterback play, it seemed like SDSU was stockpiling QB's.....a couple of transfers. Wasn't one a walk on kid at Michigan? Air Force transfer? Did they all leave the program? Who else do they have at QB right now? Going to have to move a high school QB who probably went to safety or something back to QB? He wasn't good and quitting is poor, but this has to really put them in a bind.

Both players transferred out because they saw that TOB was the coach's guy. Sumner is left, but I've heard that he's not ready yet mentally (he is only a freshman).

I'm not even sure if there is a back-up QB. Might be pulling a redshirt. We'll find out Saturday!

Edit: I should also add that I feel bad for the kid. He IS only a kid. He might regret this for the rest of his life and he's going to be known as a quitter. I wish he would have stuck it out til the rest of the year and then looked into options afterwards.

Mr. Burgundy
09-19-2011, 11:51 PM
I am sure they had a 4 quarterback depth chart this season, even if #4 was an emergency QB. So now they are down to 3 guys. Just wondering about the depth.

tjbison
09-19-2011, 11:54 PM
What goes around comes around

SDSUAlum08
09-19-2011, 11:54 PM
I am sure they had a 4 quarterback depth chart this season, even if #4 was an emergency QB. So now they are down to 3 guys. Just wondering about the depth.

Eric Kline is who I first thought of when you asked. He's a true freshman from the Twin Cities. I'm not sure who it is after that or even if he's #3.

devin45k
09-19-2011, 11:55 PM
I actually, really wanted that guy to come to NDSU back in the day. I am glad he didnt.

Bison bison
09-20-2011, 12:00 AM
What a mess down in Brookings.

This.

First the burger kings close. And now TOB proves to be a quitter.

Good thing pheasant season is just around the corner.

And when things get real cold in Brookings, the 95 lb weakling men of sdsu can stay warm by nuzzling into half ton coeds like they're han solo using the warmth of a dead tauntaun.

56BISON73
09-20-2011, 12:04 AM
WOW. Dont hear of a starter packing it in this early in the season.

tony
09-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Wow.... kinda flabbergasted.

jacks1
09-20-2011, 12:11 AM
This.

First the burger kings close. And now TOB proves to be a quitter.

Hey now....Burger King reopened.

Bison bison
09-20-2011, 12:12 AM
WOW. Dont hear of a starter packing it in this early in the season.

I hate to bring this up.

But every post you've ever made if flamboyantly gay*.

* As in homosexual. Not weird, funny, different.

devin45k
09-20-2011, 12:14 AM

U guys still have that taco johns next to the smallest trailer park in existence?

56BISON73
09-20-2011, 12:14 AM

I hate to bring this up.

But every post you've ever made if flamboyantly gay*.

* As in homosexual. Not weird, funny, different.

Youre the expert so I will differ to you expertise.:)

Bison bison
09-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Youre the expert so I will differ to you expertise.:)

And now with the funny smile!

You can't help yourself. Can you!?!

56BISON73
09-20-2011, 12:19 AM
And now with the funny smile!

You can't help yourself. Can you!?!

Tis the season to be jolly. But lets not be gay about it.:D

SDSUAlum08
09-20-2011, 12:34 AM

Totally forgot about Jordan Thomas. He's a junior I believe, but he was the 2nd string QB last year when they wouldn't pull O'Brien because they said he wasn't good enough.

NDSUstudent
09-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Wow.......oh well, your better off from what I saw. I wish our QB from a few years ago would have quit.

Easy there, Mertens took way more heat than TOB could ever dream of taking and he not only didn't quit but stood on the sideline supporting the team and Jose. That says a lot about the guy, it is easy to quit when things don't go your way.

RowdyRabbit
09-20-2011, 12:41 AM

Yes, Mikel Whittier (a transfer from Air Force prep school) transferred to Jacksonville State and switched positions to linebacker then to DE.

http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1293&path=football

Not sure what happened to Lee Mondol (the Michigan walk-on).

Taking over I assume will be Austin Sumner a freshman who redshirted last year, from Brandon Valley.

No. 2 I assume will be Jordan Thomas...a 2010 juco tranfer from Santa Ana College in California.

We've got a couple freshman from MN that are redshirting that hopefully won't need to see the field this year.

Yes a once stacked position at SDSU is now quite thin.

jarhead
09-20-2011, 01:37 AM
There's a lot of chatter on the bunny board tonite concerning starting QB Tom O'Brien. According to some posters, O'Brien quit the football team today. I know he's been
getting hammered on the board (ala Nick Mertens) for some time. Can't verify it but it seems legit. If so, I wish the kid luck.

99Bison
09-20-2011, 01:40 AM
Um, two threads and links to news sources already out there on this.

Bison bison
09-20-2011, 02:04 AM

good to hear. i like to time my long distance travels. now i know where to stop if i want to have diarrhea in Sioux Falls.

steelbison
09-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Easy there, Mertens took way more heat than TOB could ever dream of taking and he not only didn't quit but stood on the sideline supporting the team and Jose. That says a lot about the guy, it is easy to quit when things don't go your way.

Totally agree. Why do some people feel they have to keep taking shots at Mertens is beyond me. Let it go already!

Bison"FANatic"
09-20-2011, 02:35 AM
Wow, I guess the guy was really pissed about not drawing his buck tag. I guess hunting and fishing guys might not be the way to go.

On a serious note that locker room has to be pretty darn fractured if the starting QB up and quits on his family. Best of luck to him I just hope this was not a hastily made decision that he will regret for a very long time.

Bison bison
09-20-2011, 02:40 AM
It makes for a kick ass jeer when we play the Bunnies.

"Hey, Kool. You suck. You should have quit when O'Brien did."

HoboJack
09-20-2011, 02:49 AM

Since the question was asked, Lee Mondol 'officially' quit school to be closer to his mother in CA who had cancer. I don't know that he had ever joined another team. Although going into a senior year playing behind a FROSH QB, while having no specific ties to the area no doubt played a part.

The biggest problem in my mind at the QB position was when we lost QB coach Don Bailey, who was very well respected in coaching circles. Two years ago Nate Tice (Former Viking's coach Mike Tice's son), contacted SDSU in large part due to the fact that Mike thought Don would be good for Nate. The fact that TOB had started as a freshman (leading them to the playoffs), and going into his Softmore year made the position not clearly 'open for competition', and Nate wound up at Wisconsin (as a walk-on).

Our QB's havn't been the same since Don left. I don't know what he is doing now though as he did not leave for another coaching position, but rather a 'personal opportunity'.

Bison bison
09-20-2011, 02:55 AM
Our QB's havn't been the same since Don left. I don't know what he is doing now though as he did not leave for another coaching position, but rather a 'personal opportunity'.

that's how we lost our last athletic director.

Twentysix
09-20-2011, 04:17 AM
Goodluck in his future endeavours.

Wally
09-20-2011, 04:26 AM
Goodluck in his future endeavours.

No way he ever gets a job in Brookings, er wait....

JustinTyem
09-20-2011, 04:50 AM
www.inforum.com

EndZoneQB
09-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Holy carp...when did this happen??

Thumper 76
09-20-2011, 05:09 AM
You are all screwed now. You won't stand a chance

But seriously, best of luck to him. As to the result, glad hes not starting anymore. Just being honest.

Here is my post on SDSUfans about it

Wow, talk about shocking. Anyways, after reading all of these threads I would like to say a couple things here. First off, thank you to TOB for putting it out there for the past three years, and good luck on the rest of your life.

Now, to respond to a couple themes I have noticed:

#1-The fans on the message boards were too mean to Tommy.

Were we nice about his performances? No. Did his performances deserve praise? I think not. What the hell is a starting QB doing trolling his teams message boards to read about himself during the season and off season, if this is the reason he quit? Was his confidence so low he had to read the message boards to get the backing of the fans to make him feel he was good enough to start? Shouldn't he be too busy for that anyways with the responsabilty of being the starting QB watching film, practicing, lifting, and school, as well as trying to squeeze in time for a life. Do you think that Tim Tebow, Christian Ponder, Aaron Rodgers, or any other college QB reads/read this crap we write? Seriously people, you have way too high of an opinion of your posting if you think that is the case.

#2- The defense and everybody else is our main problem, you big meanies took it out on the wrong guy.

Well first off, most of the people posting this were/are staunch TOB supporters to the death. Most people with a rational brain wanted to see a change. Secondly, you are underestimating the impact that a QB can have. How much and how fast does it suck momentum when a QB throws a pick? Its HUGE! It sucks the wind out of the whole team. Now, make it inside the redzone. For a TD the other way. Did anyone notice what happend to the D after the slide and this pick six? When we were starting to mount what would have been the beginnings of a comeback, the D actually played pretty well for a couple series. Then boom, the infamous slide, and then the pick six the other way, and the D becomes a seive. Anybody think that might be because the D is thinking, well, here we go again? Nevermind the momentum shift those two things caused. The performances we were getting from the QB spot was affecting the whole teams mentality. I wouldn't doubt that the teams comes out with a second wind in this next game, at least for a while. Then it depends on Sumners performance. Couple picks, probrably puts the teams head in the ****ty. But a few good series, whole new mentality for the guys. Now, do I find it to be an acceptable mindset for the rest of the team? HELL NO! That just shows me that NOBODY ELSE IS STEPPING UP TO THE CHALLENGE TO BE A LEADER. Which means the whole team turns to look at the QB spot for leadership. Which is what you are supposed to be at QB. Hell, everybody and their brother knows that.

#3- He just decided to quit and good on him for following his heart.

First, I would like to state that I have no problem with TOB quitting, if he doesn't have the drive to play anymore I personally don't want him on the team having that mentality to drag people down with, and I hope that he has a good life after SDSU. Sounds harsh, but reality is harsh. Whats overlooked by this is the amount of guys who have busted their asses for this team but are still gutting it out after not ever starting. Guys like Dom Claire. When you say oh well thats honkey dorey TOB, I would have done the same thing if I didn't want it, you are somewhat detracting from the effort that Dom and Co. put in, saying that the mentality of well I'm not starting and things aren't going my way is OK. I think that's bull. With the amount of time and effort one puts in for college fb, the teams becomes your family of sorts that you work and sweat and bleed for. That's what bugs me about his quitting midseason. He quit on the guys who put a lot of work into this season, he could have at least stuck it out to the end of the year out of respect for those guys. Now, if it was because the team turned on him and made him into an outcast, well then I think its fine for him to do this. Let me clarify what I am saying here. I am OK with Tommy quitting, but I think his reasoning (from what we hear, which will never be the truth methinks) is very very poor.

Now, onto the Sumner era. Will it be an era filled with victorys and the MVFC bowing at our feet? ****, I hope that it just involves the qb making sound decisions. He doesn't have to be a gamebreaker, just a game manager this year. Keep it so the team has a chance to win. If the defense is givin up 35-40 pts a game, thats not on him. The people who will rag on him the most will be those staunch TOB supporters. Also, to the person who said the Crawford situation was different, you are correct. He was actually playing pretty decent ball, and people were screaming for TOB BEFORE he got hurt. I remember it vividly, because I NEVER posted for him being pulled, I argued against it. Go ahead and check.

Anyways, I hope that this big distraction serves to pull the team together into a juggernaut that tears through the conference instead of this causing them to REALLY fall apart at the seams.

Whew. I think thats the longest post I have ever made.

56BISON73
09-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Holy carp...when did this happen??

Don't know when he hung it up but it was reported on. Another thread by a jack fan at 6pm yesterday.

Twentysix
09-20-2011, 05:34 AM
No way he ever gets a job in Brookings, er wait....

Librarian.

ndsubison1
09-20-2011, 06:21 AM
i heard obrien quit the team

BlueBisonRock
09-20-2011, 06:26 AM
i heard obrien quit the team

I heard Ming quit planking.

CaBisonFan
09-20-2011, 06:51 AM
Sometimes the handwriting on the wall is the right thing to follow. Hopefully he is in school and working toward a degree. That's all that really matters right now...or should I say...finding some peace in his life.

Herd
09-20-2011, 06:59 AM
I think that TOB didn't really quit tht team. He is just being confused with Nick Mertens from another dakota school who under similar duress graduated and left the team. This will all get cleared up by the argus and the forum in the morning when they double check their stories.

devin45k
09-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Yes, Mikel Whittier (a transfer from Air Force prep school) transferred to Jacksonville State and switched positions to linebacker then to DE.

http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1293&path=football

Taking over I assume will be Austin Sumner a freshman who redshirted last year, from Brandon Valley.

No. 2 I assume will be Jordan Thomas...a 2010 juco tranfer from Santa Ana College in California.

We've got a couple freshman from MN that are redshirting that hopefully won't need to see the field this year.

Yes a once stacked position at SDSU is now quite thin.

thanks for the info.....I had no clue that they were lacking at qb. I remember when NDSU couldnt get one at all. it was frustrating as hell.

mgbison
09-20-2011, 09:50 AM
I feel bad for the kid. He's been terrible since his first year. I have no idea why they coaching staff didn't put the backup in the game. It makes me feel good that we have Bohl as our head coach and not Stig.

You know you have problems when players in the locker room aren't getting along.

Tatanka
09-20-2011, 10:32 AM
But but I thought they took their time and recruited only the right kind of kids. Teh hunting. Teh fishing. Teh kind that get along in the locker room...

IzzyFlexion
09-20-2011, 10:41 AM
But but I thought they took their time and recruited only the right kind of kids. Teh hunting. Teh fishing. Teh kind that get along in the locker room.. .

On a somewhat related note......
I saw a movie on the hotel Spanktrovision last night about some girls who were getting along VEEERRRRYYY well in a locker room.

CaBisonFan
09-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Wow...tough opening schedule for SDSU.

I don't know how good SUU is right now...but in recent years they've been playing some decent football.

As for Illinois...I don't want the Bison to ever go there to collect a check. Illinois seems to be somewhat immune to the upset bug from smaller schools. They're absolutely loaded with athletes from the Chicago area...always...among other parts of that region. They have trouble getting over the hump in the conference for some reason, but going there is a huge trap.

Cal Poly...as I see it...is always loaded with very athletic players. They are hard to figure out because they can explode on a team sometimes...and be very flat at other times. The Jacks caught them on the wrong night. They have an outstanding stadium and home field advantage.

But are we witnessing yet another slow start by SDSU? Who knows...maybe the next QB will light a fire. They'll be ready for us...no doubt.

semobison
09-20-2011, 12:10 PM
I feel bad for the kid. He's been terrible since his first year. I have no idea why they coaching staff didn't put the backup in the game. It makes me feel good that we have Bohl as our head coach and not Stig.

You know you have problems when players in the locker room aren't getting along.

Bohl is 4-4 against Stig and the Jacks and and 0-3 in Brookings! Stig may have screwed up his QB situation, but he has had more success against the Bison than any Jacks coach since the 50's! Bison need to win in Brookings this year!

BadlandsBison
09-20-2011, 01:18 PM
But but I thought they took their time and recruited only the right kind of kids. Teh hunting. Teh fishing. Teh kind that get along in the locker room...

This. We sure got a freakin earful for a couple years. Amazingly, teh tables have turned.

THEsocalledfan
09-20-2011, 02:13 PM
I wish TOB the best.

Any chance the reason he quit is that he was NDSU's MVP for last years game and he did not want to do that again? (I jest.....)

Even I have gotten over the Nick Mertens bashing. Say what you will, he stuck it out (not a quitter) and graduated from NDSU and was a heck of student from what I remember. Kudoos to him.....he clearly handled the situation better than TOB.

bisonmike2
09-20-2011, 02:37 PM

Perhaps he was bummed that the pheasant count is way down this year and would like to transfer to another school where the hunting conditions are more bountiful?

http://www.uguidesdpheasants.com/news/

Good luck to you TOB. I would have loved to see you play against NDSU one more time. :)

I'm still not taking SDSU lightly. No mercy!

cbline
09-20-2011, 02:51 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/334530/group/homepage/

I wonder what's up. Hope for the best for him.

aces1180
09-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Perhaps he was bummed that the pheasant count is way down this year and would like to transfer to another school where the hunting conditions are more bountiful?

http://www.uguidesdpheasants.com/news/

Good luck to you TOB. I would have loved to see you play against NDSU one more time. :)

I'm still not taking SDSU lightly. No mercy!

Sweep the leg!

JSUBison
09-20-2011, 03:07 PM
On a somewhat related note......
I saw a movie on the hotel Spanktrovision last night about some girls who were getting along VEEERRRRYYY well in a locker room.

The more of Izzy's posts I read, the more I think he is the real life version of Al Bundy. :judges:

SUBISON247
09-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Whatever the reason for him quitting, I wish the young man the best.

CAS4127
09-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Whatever the reason for him quitting, I wish the young man the best.

I heard Central Washington is looking for a good #2 QB!!!!!:hide:

WYOBISONMAN
09-20-2011, 04:44 PM
I heard Central Washington is looking for a good #2 QB!!!!!:hide:

Geez you can be mean.....LOL!

BadlandsBison
09-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Seriously, good luck to Tom. That had to be one heck of a hard decision to make.

Teh hunting and teh fishing, teh hunting and teh fishing.

Herd Mentality
09-20-2011, 05:40 PM
If I don't see a huge Thomas O'Brien head on the NDSU sideline in Brookings for our game this year...I'm going to be disappointed.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-20-2011, 06:33 PM
You are all screwed now. You won't stand a chance

But seriously, best of luck to him. As to the result, glad hes not starting anymore. Just being honest.

Here is my post on SDSUfans about it

Sounds like the terrible controversy we had up here back in '08-'09. That is always bad for the program and I'm glad its over with up here. I hope we never have to go through that again.

JSUBison
09-20-2011, 07:09 PM
http://www.gojacks.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&db_oem_id=15000

Go to Game Highlights-Cal Poly
Go to the 3:00 mark.

I'm guessing that play more than the pick 6's pissed off the teammates, coaches. :2cents.

He tweeted this: ThomasOBrien4
Big thanks to everyone supporting me! Life is much bigger than football and when playing isn't fun, it's time to move on.

Don't think he's been having fun for quite some time.

ndsubison1
09-20-2011, 07:22 PM
he quit on his team during the season. that's pretty weak. i would be pissed if i was a teammate. just my opinion.

devin45k
09-20-2011, 08:28 PM
he quit on his team during the season. that's pretty weak. i would be pissed if i was a teammate. just my opinion.

that's the only reason I am surprised

KilldeerBison
09-21-2011, 03:42 AM

Agree, that's like bailing on your hunting buddies just because you didn't get your limit opening day.

DjKyRo
09-21-2011, 04:13 AM
If I don't see a huge Thomas O'Brien head on the NDSU sideline in Brookings for our game this year...I'm going to be disappointed.

$24 at the campus print shop! Who's with me?

BlueBisonRock
09-21-2011, 04:33 AM

KyRo, You can't do this! You represent the school.

Let Ming and Badboy take care of it.

56BISON73
09-21-2011, 04:34 AM

Stay classy.

DjKyRo
09-21-2011, 04:34 AM
KyRo, You can't do this! You represent the school.

Let Ming and Badboy take care of it.

I meant in spirit. Needless to say no one should be actually planning to do this.

ndsubison1
09-21-2011, 05:36 AM
why? dont back off of your words. i think it would be a great/funny idea

BlueBisonRock
09-21-2011, 05:59 AM
why? dont back off of your words. i think it would be a great/funny idea

I agree. Which is why I suggested that a nonDj nonconspirator could step up and create the paper trail.

bisonmike2
09-21-2011, 02:04 PM
I meant in spirit. Needless to say no one should be actually planning to do this.

Why not? It's great smack. Don't mind PL. He comes from a time when everyone wore suits and ties to the game and the players would retire at the half to the locker rooms where they would discuss adjustments over a pipe and a sifter of brandy.

devin45k
10-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Stay classy.

dont be an uptight puss

CAS4127
10-13-2011, 08:52 PM

I think this wouold be nothing short of hilarious--Djk--getter dun!!!!

HandoEX
10-13-2011, 09:22 PM
dont be an uptight puss
Haha, no kidding! Good greif, it's not like someone's hanging a dead bunny from a billboard!

bisonmike2
10-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Saw the replaced kid did pretty well last week. It's too bad TOB couldn't hang on for the rest of the year. He's inaccurate passes under pressure against our secondary, we would have had a shot a breaking the record for most int's in a game.

DjKyRo
10-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Saw the replaced kid did pretty well last week. It's too bad TOB couldn't hang on for the rest of the year. He's inaccurate passes under pressure against our secondary, we would have had a shot a breaking the record for most int's in a game.

I did the calculations elsewhere and found that TOB was statistically the best QB throwing to the Bison in the game last year - 4 completed "passes" to defenders for two TDs gave him like a 70-something passer efficiency.

56BISON73
10-14-2011, 07:16 PM

After learning of the particulars on the reason for his departure I retract my first response to your post and give you the thimbs ups. Have at it and have fun.

tjbison
10-15-2011, 12:31 AM
After learning of the particulars on the reason for his departure I retract my first response to your post and give you the thimbs ups. Have at it and have fun.

why exactly did he leave

TransAmBison
10-15-2011, 12:38 AM
why exactly did he leaveTOB had a problem with a friend of kettle.

EndZoneQB
10-15-2011, 12:48 AM
TOB had a problem with a friend of kettle.

LOL, I'm not sure if I'm understanding this right...but if I am, good way to explain it. I'll try to clarify tomorrow lol