PDA

View Full Version : goofers Still Taking "Inferior" Teams Lightly

Bison Up
09-14-2011, 06:14 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/129775343.html

and tim brewster "knows all about the little guys in green!"

KSBisonFan
09-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Sorry if this has already been mentioned in another thread but how much is NDSU getting paid for this game? I know New Mexico State got $800K for their all expense paid trip to Minny last weekend.

TransAmBison
09-14-2011, 06:31 PM
I thought it was $350k

KC Bison
09-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Charley Walters St. Paul Pioneer Press:

The New Mexico State football team the Gophers play Saturday afternoon at TCF Bank Stadium might be the only team on Minnesota's schedule this season with less talent than Minnesota.

Now that someone in the Twin Cities Press proclaims that we have at least have as much talent as the Gophers, I guess they can't take us lightly.

mnriverbison
09-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Can someone please explain the constant craving (begging?) for respect out of Minnesota and the MSP media?

KC Bison
09-14-2011, 06:56 PM
This has nothing to do with wanting respect from TC media. I just want no excuses from the Gophers about taking us lightly after they lose.

mnriverbison
09-14-2011, 06:58 PM
This has nothing to do with wanting respect from TC media. I just want no excuses from the Gophers about taking us lightly after they lose to us.

OK. I'll remember that it isn't about respect when this board spends the next 10 days analyzing and bitching about every potential slight from everyone from Sid Hartman on down to "gopherz4lifebro.com" message board posters.

If you don't that a solid number of NDSU people have a weird MN chip on their shoulder you haven't spent too much time around here.

KC Bison
09-14-2011, 07:05 PM
It's a pretty piss-poor way to treat a team after you lose to them to say we only lost because we didn't take you seriously. You might recall last year, after we beat KU, they said that the reason they lost was to us was that they overlooked us. This is the kind of crap I don't want to hear from the Gophers or their fans after our game.

I grew up in Minnesota and spent 9 years in Fargo, so I know a lot about what North Dakotians think about Minnesota.

mnriverbison
09-14-2011, 07:11 PM
This is the kind of crap I don't want to hear from the Gophers or their fans after our game.

And why don't you want them saying it? Could it be that you want them to respect this Bison team? Or are the words just annoying? Because if the words are annoying you could just not read their message boards and newspaper coverage. Then you won't have to hear it. But then you couldn't repost it here and play the respect card, but if that doesn't matter...

IBleedYellow
09-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Pretty stupid of them, they all deserve to lose every time if they "overlook" little guys. If you don't do the work each and every week, you are bound to lose.

Bison06
09-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Can someone please explain the constant craving (begging?) for respect out of Minnesota and the MSP media?

What else is there? Respect is everything, if you don't have that what do you have?

THEsocalledfan
09-14-2011, 07:17 PM

Easy.

When you have to listen to it constantly, it gets really annoying. (I can stream KFAN live on clear channel and like the professional coverage. Also read the Strib sports.) Plus, it happens in prime NDSU recruiting area and where a ton of alumni live. The dummies that run the stations/papers seem to forget how many NDSU alumni might actually want to hear some nice things said about their squad.

Already this year, I have heard it insinuated on KFAN, with their expanded gophers coverage, that NDSU should be an easy game. Do they forget the last two games? If you blame Brewster for game 2, what about game 1 that was so close even if a loss?

THIS UTTER LACK OF RESPECT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL PROBABLY AS MUCH AS IT DID LAKES. (Notice the past tense on Lakes.)

I want to see NDSU rip them apart like last time, and hopefully worse. I want to see their dead carcases thrown into the ocean to be devoured by sharks. The only team I hate worse at this point is UND.

[/endrant]

devin45k
09-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Who they calling little:mad:

Bison Up
09-14-2011, 08:38 PM
It's a pretty piss-poor way to treat a team after you lose to them to say we only lost because we didn't take you seriously. You might recall last year, after we beat KU, they said that the reason they lost was to us was that they overlooked us. This is the kind of crap I don't want to hear from the Gophers or their fans after our game.

I grew up in Minnesota and spent 9 years in Fargo, so I know a lot about what North Dakotians think about Minnesota.
Funny thing is, this is the reason the goofers beat IL and IA last year; both teams mailed it in. When people pointed this out, goofer fans from loon to spitoon goldie 4, went bonkers. Now they play the same "took them lightly card!" Hypocrits!

Answer Guy
09-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Funny thing is, this is the reason the goofers beat IL and IA last year; both teams mailed it in. When people pointed this out, goofer fans from loon to spitoon goldie 4, went bonkers. Now they play the same "took them lightly card!" Hypocrits!

The girls were looking past UND and they snuck up on us. :facepalm:

Yes, funny thing.

tcbison
09-14-2011, 09:04 PM

I think the "looking past them" and "took them lightly" is the most stupid excuse ever for any fan base. I for one hope that Bison fans don't use this excuse. As far as the UND volleyball games goes, they beat us fair and square on their turf.

Bison Up
09-14-2011, 09:20 PM
When the goofers get their A@@es whipped this week by M of O, I sure hope we don't take them too lightly the following week!

BlueBisonRock
09-14-2011, 09:22 PM
When the goofers get their A@@es whipped this week by M of O, I sure hope we don't take them too lightly the following week!

I'll put my money on the Gophers this weekend and look for the whooping the next weekend.

EndZoneQB
09-14-2011, 10:10 PM
I'll put my money on the Gophers this weekend and look for the whooping the next weekend.

Eh, I think this week will likely show more of what the Gophers actually have this year. The first game essentially made them look "good" and the NMSU game made them look AWFUL. Miami(OH) isn't a terrible team so the outcome will likely speak volumes for what we are likely to see on the 24th.

CaBisonFan
09-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Isn't there a danger in us taking the Gophers too lightly?...:cool:

BisonNeil
09-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Also they will want to win for Kill. We need him there this week to get that emotional crap over with.

Well, so much for that idea :(

Kill may not coaching this weekend, still in the hospital, although his DC thinks he still will, I find it hard to believe he can get the doctors to release him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/09/14/minnesota.kill.ap/index.html?sct=cf_t2_a3

Sorry if this was posted before.

Bison Up
09-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Speaking of delusional, here is a pretty funny swipe at goofer fans by PR:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/129850213.html

KC Bison
09-15-2011, 12:37 PM
It's pretty tough right now being a sports fan of any Minnesota team, other than the Lynx.

GradBison
09-15-2011, 01:38 PM
It's pretty tough right now being a sports fan of any Minnesota team, other than the Lynx.

And the Valkyrie of the LFL (http://www.lflus.com/minnesotavalkyrie/). :blush:

SDbison
09-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Ha ha.............and South Dakota and SDSU have Jacks women's basketball.

bisonmike2
09-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Fargo Flash was on kfan this morning breaking down the matchup with the goophers versus Miami OH.

Summary of what he said.

UM o-line is big but has played shitty.
UM d-line has played shitty and cannot get any pass rush at all (0 sacks this year)
UM secondary is horrible and will be destroyed by Miami.
Gray is not a good passer. The freshman kid will probably end up being the starter by mid-year.

I really don't care about how they match up with Miami but I think it looks good for us. I'm really liking out d-line versus their o-line and hopefully Brock can get the passing game going against their secondary. I hope we get to see alot of Gray because he's such a good scrambler, he should help us prepare for UNI's QB.

THEsocalledfan
09-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Fargo Flash was on kfan this morning breaking down the matchup with the goophers versus Miami OH.

Summary of what he said.

UM d-line has played shitty and cannot get any pass rush at all (0 sacks this year)
Gray is not a good passer. The freshman kid will probably end up being the starter by mid-year.

I really don't care about how they match up with Miami but I think it looks good for us. I'm really liking out d-line versus their o-line and hopefully Brock can get the passing game going against their secondary. I hope we get to see alot of Gray because he's such a good scrambler, he should help us prepare for UNI's QB.

I heard this too, but my only worry is no matter how Brock plays, we have to run the ball to be successful. How are they against the run?

bisonmike2
09-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Defense give up...
3.1 yards per carry, average 100 yards a game. 1 rushing TD.

BisonNeil
09-15-2011, 06:29 PM

Summary of what he said.

I don't actually think their OL is that big by B1G standards, hate to disagree with Conzemius on this.

Olson- 6'7" 300
Bunders- 6'3" 292
Wynn- 6'5" 305
Orton- 6'4" 290
Gjere- 6'7" 315

They are taller than NDSU, but NDSU averages 303 lbs per OL, UMN averages 300. My point is, our DL has gone up against basically the same sized guys all spring and fall, I don't think there will be a physical size intimidation.

I do agree with FF in that they are shitty, especially the Sr interior lineman. I wouldn't trade a one of the OG/C for what the Bison have.

NWNDBison
09-15-2011, 11:26 PM
This is a must-read. Hilarious!

Minnesota Gophers are favored over Miami of Ohio- No really

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2011/9/15/2426346/minnesota-gophers-are-favored-over-miami-of-ohio-no-really

That cannot happen again, and I'm doubting Coach Kill and his staff will let it. (Referring to NMSU game) Of course, this is also one of the last times Minnesota will be favored against anyone this season (they don't provide lines against 1-AA opponents, but considering the Gophs recent history against schools from the Dakotas, they WILL be favored against NDSU next week, right? RIGHT?) so the coaches won't have to worry about over confidence much more anyway.

NWNDBison
09-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Bismarck Tribune Supports Gophers Win!'

http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/college/eric-hammond-let-s-go-gophers-again/article_55734728-dda8-11e0-ab40-001cc4c002e0.html

My prediction: Minnesota 28, North Dakota State 27. (Not MY prediction. Eric Hammond's prediction.)

devin45k
09-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Bismarck Tribune Supports Gophers Win!'

http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/college/eric-hammond-let-s-go-gophers-again/article_55734728-dda8-11e0-ab40-001cc4c002e0.html

My prediction: Minnesota 28, North Dakota State 27.

what a F*cking fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NWNDBison
09-15-2011, 11:57 PM
I would not be quite so specific on a family-oriented forum, but, yeah, that's about right!!!

semobison
09-16-2011, 12:02 AM
what a F*cking fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont get your panties in a bunch! It was an editorial and the guy is a UM alum! What would you expect?

devin45k
09-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Dont get your panties in a bunch! It was an editorial and the guy is a UM alum! What would you expect?

He should pull his head out of his butt and be unbiased

semobison
09-16-2011, 02:21 AM
He should pull his head out of his butt and be unbiased

An editorial is the writers opinion! He is a UM grad! Do you think he would be pulling for the Bison? Duh!... If you read the article, his wife is an NDSU alum, and he writes about how she gave him the business after the 07 game. There was not anything negative about the Bison in the article. Sometimes any publicity is better than none at all, which happens in the Bismarck paper quite often!

devin45k
09-16-2011, 03:16 AM
An editorial is the writers opinion! He is a UM grad! Do you think he would be pulling for the Bison? Duh!... If you read the article, his wife is an NDSU alum, and he writes about how she gave him the business after the 07 game. There was not anything negative about the Bison in the article. Sometimes any publicity is better than none at all, which happens in the Bismarck paper quite often!

Yes, happy to not live in Bismarck anymore. There are more Bison fans everywhere else it seems. In reno, alot of people know the Bison that I have talked sports with. No one knows the mascot of UND or SDSU.

NorthernBison
09-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Yes, happy to not live in Bismarck anymore. There are more Bison fans everywhere else it seems. In reno, alot of people know the Bison that I have talked sports with. No one knows the mascot of UND or SDSU.

I really wish people would stop making comments like that. Not really directed at you and it happens in every fanbase.

Seriously, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy that if you put on an obscure University T-shirt or jersey and walk down the street in a "touristy" area you will eventually run into somebody who knows the University. Not something to get all excited about.

BTW, I'll call BS on the UND comment. After all, it is the most popular logo in the World.