PDA

View Full Version : It is time to...

admin
09-14-2011, 02:13 PM
It is time to update the board software.

My question is when should I update? What time to update is easy... probably a late Sunday night / early Monday morning.

I was thinking of doing it this Sunday but, given that there's a possibility that I'd screw it up and have the site down during what would be a very busy week, I figured I'd ask you guys first.

Things to look forward to:

Photo Albums
Video Embedding (YouTube, Vimeo, Hulu, Dailymotion, Google, Metacafe)
HTML in posts (and we thought CAS was confused before)Once the update is done, it'd be time to go through the suggestions that have piled up over the last several days. And by days I mean years.

I'll probably buy the package that includes blog-capability and something called CMS.

DjKyRo
09-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Probably easiest to do it this week and get it out of the way. Big weeks coming up for football the next few weeks with Minnesota, then homecoming, then SIU, so might as well get it over with.

Also, +1,000 for including video embed.

duluthbison
09-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Best to get it done during our bye week, sure people will be mad if it is down but it sure beats being down before the Minny game or Homecomming.

Also, is there any way you can make the site easier for us to read on mobile phones? Maybe something like this https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/content.php/518-vBulletin-Mobile-Suite-FAQ

Or maybe just a mobile theme that can detect when a mobile device is loading the site.

DjKyRo
09-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Best to get it done during our bye week, sure people will be mad if it is down but it sure beats being down before the Minny game or Homecomming.

He's talking about this coming Sunday, which means that if it would go down, it would be down during the week leading up to Minnesota. To do it during the bye week it would have to have happened this past Sunday.

Is there a possibility of doing it, like, tonight or tomorrow night? During the week?

1998braves64
09-14-2011, 05:33 PM
when is it ever a good time to update? Seems like the more you wait to try to find a good time the later it ends up being and you end up losing more than you gain. I would say this Sunday, if it doesn't fire... I know that would probably be hard on a lot of people leading up to the MN game! And the fact you probably wouldn't have time to address it like you should. But still hold true to the premise better to do it now then to wait and wait til a "perfect" opportunity that may never present itself. Might be next spring/summer before you hit a perfect opportunity!

WYOBISONMAN
09-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks Tony......you do a heck of a job!!!!!

CAS4127
09-14-2011, 05:57 PM
It is time to update the board software.

My question is when should I update? What time to update is easy... probably a late Sunday night / early Monday morning.

I was thinking of doing it this Sunday but, given that there's a possibility that I'd screw it up and have the site down during what would be a very busy week, I figured I'd ask you guys first.

Things to look forward to:

Photo Albums
Video Embedding (YouTube, Vimeo, Hulu, Dailymotion, Google, Metacafe)
HTML in posts (and we thought CAS was confused before)Once the update is done, it'd be time to go through the suggestions that have piled up over the last several days. And by days I mean years.

I'll probably buy the package that includes blog-capability and something called CMS.

I am sure you are looking for my input on what type of software to upgrade to, and my help with installing it. If that is the case, I will need to go back to college for 4-5 years before I can help, so just move on without my input. It's OK!!

TransAmBison
09-14-2011, 05:59 PM
I am sure you are looking for my input on what type of software to upgrade to, and my help with installing it. If that is the case, I will need to go back to college for 4-5 years before I can help, so just move on without my input. It's OK!!
I checked in on this thread before so I knew what it was about. Then I saw you had posted...and I had to see what pearls of wisdom you passed on.

bisonmike2
09-14-2011, 06:16 PM
September 24th, 6:07 pm.

TransAmBison
09-14-2011, 06:29 PM
September 24th, 6:07 pm.
I second this.

Tatanka
09-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks Tony!!!!!

duluthbison
09-14-2011, 10:22 PM
I think the angry elf.....er I mean Tony does a fantastic job with this board, many thanks!

The sooner you get this update done, the better IMO.

Ferd
09-14-2011, 10:57 PM
I appreciate all you do for this board.

With that said... I don't think there is ever a "good" time since someone is almost always on.

So I think the earliest you could find the time, the better.
We can always suffer, and I mean suffer, being without Bisonville in order to make it the most convenient for you.

Twentysix
09-14-2011, 11:52 PM
He's talking about this coming Sunday, which means that if it would go down, it would be down during the week leading up to Minnesota. To do it during the bye week it would have to have happened this past Sunday.

Is there a possibility of doing it, like, tonight or tomorrow night? During the week?

Why would this update take more than a few hours?

Are you alluding to it taking 7 days?

DjKyRo
09-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Why would this update take more than a few hours?

Are you alluding to it taking 7 days?

Just going off what the big man said.

tony
09-15-2011, 06:04 PM
It really shouldn't take more than an hour or two if there aren't any problems. It's the possibility of problems that scares me.

BisonBabe
09-15-2011, 07:24 PM
It really shouldn't take more than an hour or two if there aren't any problems. It's the possibility of problems that scares me.

Just pray the Murphy does not decide to give you any trouble. But if needed just use your kung fu on him. :p

CAS4127
09-15-2011, 07:29 PM

You aren't doing this to mess with my ability log in with my IPhone are you!!!:confused: :(

TAILG8R
09-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Does this mean are getting a mobile version too? Not that I can't get around the site on my droid but a dedicated mobile setup would be nice.

TbonZach
09-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Just pray the Murphy does not decide to give you any trouble. But if needed just use your kung fu on him. :p

"I know kung fu." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_sINQ4Fxzw&feature=player_detailpage#t=6s)

chuckles
09-15-2011, 11:24 PM

Save it for the off season. With as much traffic as this site will see over the next couple of weeks there is no reason to rush through an update and possibly encounter unforeseen side effects. The updates are nothing but welcome, but now during the season 'if its not broke, don't fix it.'

duluthbison
09-16-2011, 06:37 AM
I've updated a few message boards/websites in the past. Just as long as everything is backed up, things have gone smoothly for me. The only annoying part is that the site will be down for a few hours.

tony
09-19-2011, 01:36 AM
Well, found out that I can pay them to update my site so I'm going that route.The only real risk to upgrading would be that I'd screw something up and then not have time to track the problem down and having them do it eliminates that risk.

Didn't occur to me that they might offer that service or I would have done it six months ago. :blush:

The site will probably will have a very generic look to it for day or two and then I'll gradually "Bison-ize" it.

fargocyclone
09-19-2011, 02:11 AM
When are you going to have them do that, Tony?

And much thanks for taking care of everything!

Twentysix
09-19-2011, 02:13 AM
Probably time for a new banner pic. That game was quite a few years ago already.

fargocyclone
09-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Probably time for a new banner pic. That game was quite a few years ago already.

Mine?

(ten)

tony
09-19-2011, 02:28 AM

Bring your cameras to TCF! :)

admin
09-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Status Update: Placed the order so, more than likely, the site will be updated this week.

tony
09-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Status Update: I was contacted by the upgrade technician asking when he should do the upgrade and I told him that if it was going to take an hour or so that he should go ahead. Haven't heard back yet.

tony
09-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Status update: Looks like the upgrade will happen tonight.

Twentysix
09-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Status update: Looks like the upgrade will happen tonight.

Tonight is code for saturday from 6 to 10.

CAS4127
09-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Tonight is code for saturday from 6 to 10.

Tony, alls I know is that, after spending some time on ss.com and Gooferhole, BV rocks in comparison!! So, not sure how you are gonna improve it, but hope it works!!!!

Twentysix
09-21-2011, 09:41 PM
AGS just went down.

Its back now.

tony
09-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Tony, alls I know is that, after spending some time on ss.com and Gooferhole, BV rocks in comparison!! So, not sure how you are gonna improve it, but hope it works!!!!

More cowbell, obviously.

tony
09-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Testing.

I've got plenty to do to de-generic this so I'll squeeze that in while I'm waiting for compiles to go through or something.

GradBison
09-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Testing.

I've got plenty to do to de-generic this so I'll squeeze that in while I'm waiting for compiles to go through or something.

Yay! Thanks for doing this Tony.

One thing to do is to point http://www.bisonville.com/forum/index.php to http://www.bisonville.com/forum/forum.php I'd imagine that is now tripping a lot of folks while they're trying to access the site.

GradBison
09-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Maybe it's just the index file for http://www.bisonville.com that needs to be pointed to http://www.bisonville.com/forum/forum.php.

HerdBot
09-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Maybe it's just the index file for http://www.bisonville.com that needs to be pointed to http://www.bisonville.com/forum/forum.php.

Good point the first thing I saw was "you do not have permission to access this page" after a minute a realize I had to click the forum tab but I almost registered for another account.

RowdyRabbit
09-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Confusion...

This place looks just like sdsufans now...just sayin'!

bri-dog
09-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Woo hoo -- on my office computer (a Mac), the "New Posts" function works! It never did work worth a shit on the old version...

tony
09-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Yay! Thanks for doing this Tony.

One thing to do is to point http://www.bisonville.com/forum/index.php to http://www.bisonville.com/forum/forum.php I'd imagine that is now tripping a lot of folks while they're trying to access the site.

Is this working now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTwhVyToPDw

BisonPride72
09-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Is this working now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTwhVyToPDw

Yep, but by working do you mean that it is playing or getting me more excited for Saturday.

duluthbison
09-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Holy crap is this place different this morning!

CAS4127
09-22-2011, 02:55 PM
WTF!!!???? My BV looks light blue and white, and I have no idea how to get around in this place. And where are all the emoticons??!! Me not like right now, but I assume things will get better???!!!

Bison"FANatic"
09-22-2011, 02:59 PM
WTF!!!???? My BV looks light blue and white, and I have no idea how to get around in this place. And where are all the emoticons??!! Me not like right now, but I assume things will get better???!!!

It must be your Iphone. Turn it on and off 4 times then flip it upside down for 10 minutes and that will reboot it and your world will be back to normal. If it is your computer just turn it upside down and ru

CAS4127
09-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Ya, whatever, BFan . . . . I ain't in the mood for shit this early in the day!!!!:mad:

Tatanka
09-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks Tony!!! Site features look GREAT.

BisonBabe
09-22-2011, 03:46 PM
The upgrade seems to have been relatively smooth. At least from the posters viewpoint. I am sure you have work to do yet and we appreciate everything that you do.

:judges:

BTW I look forward to the additional smiley's we have grown use to.

CAS4127
09-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Actually, this was perfect timing, as there aint no way the Goof fans will figure this out before game time--surprised Tranny, Tatanka and AG were able to figure it out so quickly.

SDbison
09-22-2011, 04:24 PM
How come avatars only show up in this thread?

TransAmBison
09-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Actually, this was perfect timing, as there aint no way the Goof fans will figure this out before game time--surprised Tranny, Tatanka and AG were able to figure it out so quickly.
Are you in a better mood now?

SDbison
09-22-2011, 04:29 PM
How come avatars only show up in this thread?
Hello computer geeks.
This really sucks.......I have the old and new bisonville address, but somehow can't delete the old one out of my favorites. I hate software upgrades.

SDbison
09-22-2011, 04:31 PM
For some reason now the avatars are working........