PDA

View Full Version : Its Gopher Week(s)!!! "lets Pump It Up!!!!"

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-13-2011, 03:18 PM
I can't believe this thead hasn't been started yet. Its Gopher week, or in this years case, weeks. What do think are our chances? How do we look in comparision to the Gophers?

My take:

Even though the Gophers looked absolutely horrendous last week against NMSU. I do believe this team is better than the '07 team we beat and much better than last years team. I guess we'll know more by Sat. night.

My biggest concern for our team is the fact that we haven't played anyone yet, so we have know idea how we will react against stiffer competition. We have started out extremely slow in the first two games of the season thus far and this worries me a bit. I think the bye week will only make this situation worse.

The biggest area of concern I see is the O line. They have really started out slow against very weak teams. They haven't shown me that they will be able to controll the line of scrimmage once we get into the "meat" of the season. Hopefully this improves starting with the Gophers.

On the postive side is the entire defense. They have been lights out and I think they are an even better unit than last year. They should be able to keep us in every game until the Offense can gain some momentum.

I watched the Gopher game on Sat. and from what I saw they do not have the personall to match up with us. They really don't have many great athletes. They couldn't stop the pass or the run. NMSU only had 6 yds. rushing in their first game. Against the gophers they had 133 and they really didn't start running the ball untill the second half. If they can't stop NMSU from running the ball, I don't think they'll be able to stop us.

The Gophers offense was pathic on Sat. and I think our defense should be able to handle them easily. Grey can't throw the ball. His only strength is the QB draw.

In conclusion. I think we win on the 24th. Our offense will start out slow, but our defense will keep the Gophers from scoring until our offense can get things going.

Bison: 28
Gophers: 14

GO BISON!!!
CRUSH THOSE LITTLE RODENTS!!!!!

mnriverbison
09-13-2011, 03:36 PM
It's really hard to say how our talent matches up vs theirs. They played tough and looked like they belonged against a USC team which is poorly coached but stacked with NFL prospects. Then they laid an egg against a team that everybody assumes is the or one of the worst in FBS. Ditto for us. We've played nobody and so it is also really hard to know what we have this year.

The game feels 50/50 for me and it really depends on which Gopher team shows up-because I know which Bison team will. I have to believe that we are better than NMSU, but I also still believe that MN is too. They were throwing into the end zone to tie a game in the waning seconds of a game where they played like absolute trash and NMSU played lights out.

I think we should revisit this issue on Monday after they play Miami OH and after we see what is becoming of USC and NMSU. We will have a lot more info about the kind of team to expect on the 24th a week from now. Look for USC to be average or NMSU to go back to looking awful and I'll start drooling over the Gopher game.

Gut reaction before next week's action: I don't think there is any chance of us getting blown out, but I do think if they get down on themselves and we start to roll early we could actually win comfortably. On the other hand, if we're getting nowhere on O and our D gets tired the mobile QB will start to bleed us dry I'm afraid. The week's MN vs Miami game should be must watch for Bison fans who are already watching college football anyway Saturday. Initial guess (subject to change in 6 days) : Bison 35-24.

Fun fact. In MN's 1-11 2007 season (remember that one!?) their lone win was a 3OT game vs... Miami Ohio
Fun fact 2. In my office full of Gopher Alums and fans, most expect NDSU to give it a game and/or win. Contrary to internet troll belief, these guys pull for us in FCS and UMD in D2

SDbison
09-13-2011, 04:17 PM
I believe due to the fact the Bison have been close in most every FBS game that this game will be different and go to either team with a significant margin of victory:

60% chance Bison win by 2 TD's or more.
30% chance Gophers win by 2 TD's or more
10% chance final score within 2 TD's.

Overall 67% chance of Bison victory.

HerdBot
09-13-2011, 04:28 PM
I like our chances. Here's why.

Has Jerry Kill been known to be a turnaround coach? Yes. But he doesn't do it overnight. He does it the right way over 2-3 years. Then you will see a solid Minnesota team.

He won 2 games in his first year at SIU. That's pretty mediocre. He went 6-6 in his first year at Northern Illinois (MAC Conference) and lost close games to Central Michigan and Minnesota. That's a year after we beat both teams handily so we know we're in the same ballpark. Last year at NIU, he barely beat UND. Of course South Dakota beat Minnesota and a few weeks later we destroyed South Dakota. These are the same players. The only difference is they are still learning a brand new scheme and have a crappier QB since Weber is gone.

Did they almost beat USC? Yes. But so did Brewster last year. It was a big game for them. This isn't the same USC team we all know. They have sanctions against them due to cheating.

Recent competion? When you lose to New Mexico State at home, you are flat out not a great team.

QB situaiton. Grey is a great runner but a mediocre passer and that's just the truth. He's a 50% passer with 2 TD's and 2 picks. Fans are already calling for his head. He's even worse than his stats indicate. We need to attack him just like we did Renne last year once we figured him out. Same with Warren at South Dakota. Will a QB change help? No. Their backup came in and went a whopping 2-7 and they put Grey back in. He's not ready.

So we know that common opponents stack up fairly well. History stacks up well.

Intangibles. Next week I'm sure they will be fired up because Kill is back. That will wear off quickly. Home field? It's not going to be like last time with 25,000 Bison fans but we've proved we can win in front of crowds before. I still anticipate 7-10K Bison Fans.

Preparation? We have 2 weeks to get ready. Health? Our entire team is healthy. This is one of our better teams.

I say we win the game 17-13.

Hammerhead
09-13-2011, 04:56 PM
I like our chances unless Minnesota manages to beat Miami (OH) by a large margin.

mnriverbison
09-13-2011, 05:05 PM
I say we win the game 17-13.

Geez Gabe, you had me really pumped up when I read your post until you called for us to win by 4!! The rest of the post sounded like a 3 TD win!

tony
09-13-2011, 05:08 PM
I want Minnesota to pound Miami (OH) - that'll ratchet things up a bit.

mnriverbison
09-13-2011, 05:14 PM
I want Minnesota to pound Miami (OH) - that'll ratchet things up a bit.

No doubt. There is something hollow about beating a 1-11 team. I'd love to see them lose to us and go 4-4 in the Big Ten. That would be a much bigger statement than beating up a doormat.

CHADSTAUS
09-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Defense dominates, Offense plays OK to good, Special teams will make 2 big plays.

Bison win by 10.

24-14

I'mWithNOSIB
09-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Bill Swerski's Superfans
"Dah Bison are 2-0 after back to back humiliations. I think this is going to be a close game. My prediction is NDSU 34 to Minnesota -7"

cbline
09-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Made a bet with my 25-year old nephew who is a a big Gopher fan. He wagered a package of Minnesota walleyes that he caught, against lamb chops from our daugther's 4-H market lamb project. He also gave me 8 points. This all happened on Saturday before the Gopher-New Mexico State game. I think that he might want to renegotiate, but that's not going to happen. :)

BlueBisonRock
09-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Made a bet with my 25-year old nephew who is a a big Gopher fan. He wagered a package of Minnesota walleyes that he caught, against lamb chops from our daugther's 4-H market lamb project. He also gave me 8 points. This all happened on Saturday before the Gopher-New Mexico State game. I think that he might want to renegotiate, but that's not going to happen. :)

What!??! You are killing your daughter's lamb? Without first introducing it to TAB and AG? What is this world coming to?

Of course with 8 points, it is not likely that the lamb chops will need to be presented, thus defering the sentence imposed on this animal.

cbline
09-13-2011, 05:41 PM
What!??! You are killing your daughter's lamb? Without first introducing it to TAB and AG? What is this world coming to?

Of course with 8 points, it is not likely that the lamb chops will need to be presented, thus defering the sentence imposed on this animal.

Sorry, but the "sentence" was imposed during the first week in August. The lamb returned to our farm in little packages.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-13-2011, 05:46 PM

He gave you 8 points?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BisonNeil
09-13-2011, 05:59 PM
I agree, the Miami-Ohio game will tell us a lot.

The Redhawks have only played one game, against Mizzou, and lost 17-6. It should have been 10-7 at the end of three quarters but for a failed extra point.

It would appear from the box score that Miami-O has a good defense, they only gave up 291 yds total offense to Mizzou, then ranked #21, and the Tigers were at home. Against Arizona State in Tempe they had 501 yds in OT.

As pointed out, the Gopher offense is fairly terrible and based on the single game the Redhawks have played I don't think the Gophers are going to blow anybody away anytime soon. Unfortunately, I pick M-O to win this game. I will be watching.

SlickVic
09-13-2011, 06:07 PM
I agree, the Miami-Ohio game will tell us a lot.

The Redhawks have only played one game, against Mizzou, and lost 17-6. It should have been 10-7 at the end of three quarters but for a failed extra point.

It would appear from the box score that Miami-O has a good defense, they only gave up 291 yds total offense to Mizzou, then ranked #21, and the Tigers were at home. Against Arizona State in Tempe they had 501 yds in OT.

As pointed out, the Gopher offense is fairly terrible and based on the single game the Redhawks have played I don't think the Gophers are going to blow anybody away anytime soon. Unfortunately, I pick M-O to win this game. I will be watching.

I wouldn't whatch that game if it was on a Tuesday night lol your hardcore Neil this buds for you ++++

cbline
09-13-2011, 06:40 PM
He gave you 8 points?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Like I said, he was very confident about the Gophers before the New Mexico game. I played the "poor FCS school" card, and he took the bait. Man, did he ever regret letting NDSU be the underdog after the Gopher loss.

moosbah
09-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Like I said, he was very confident about the Gophers before the New Mexico game. I played the "poor FCS school" card, and he took the bait. Man, did he ever regret letting NDSU be the underdog after the Gopher loss.

Am I the only one who thinks the Goofs will be up for our game, now that they actually NEED it to salvage one of the verrrrrrrry few wins they have a shot at this year?

81to86Bisonfan
09-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Based on what I see from the Bison so far this season, they are a much stronger and faster team with lots of depth. The Bison offense should be balanced again with the run and the pass, and the defense only allows 1 TD and a couple of field goals by the Gophers.

Also, I have seen some clips and stats of the Gophers past 2 games, not good.

Bison will win this game.

Again, the Bison may start slow, but will beat down the Gophers in the second half. Final score - Bison 34, Gophers 13. Then the season starts with Valley play!

CHADSTAUS
09-13-2011, 08:39 PM
If the rodents are 0-3 going into the Bison game, we will be 3-0 Sept. 25th.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Goofs will be up for our game, now that they actually NEED it to salvage one of the verrrrrrrry few wins they have a shot at this year?

Did you watch the NMSU game? If the Gophers don't play any better, we will beat them easily.

mnriverbison
09-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Did you watch the NMSU game? If the Gophers don't play any better, we will beat them easily.

I think what he's saying isn't that he's afraid that they'll play like this past week, but that they won't now that they know they cannot take any game for granted. We'll know better in 2 months, but on paper it sure looks like NMSU was the worst team they'll play all year. And they lost at home by over triple the margin they lost by at USC. Not good, but it would have been nice if they rolled NMSU and Miami and got a feeling that they could coast against us. I think that is what he's saying.

Bison Up
09-14-2011, 12:15 AM
I don't think they give a crap, especially brewster's convicts. On Marquist Grey's Twitter, he's like...yaaawn... "oh well, we had a bad day vs NMSU." Lot on his mind I guess with his GF knocked up with twins.

houndawg
09-14-2011, 03:03 AM
I think that one of the questions that the first two games don't answer is how fast is the defense. They look big and fast against lesser competition, but even a bad Big 10 team is going to easily match an MVC team athletically. Bison need to score first.

tcbison
09-14-2011, 02:07 PM
I think that one of the questions that the first two games don't answer is how fast is the defense. They look big and fast against lesser competition, but even a bad Big 10 team is going to easily match an MVC team athletically. Bison need to score first.

Totally agree on that. NDSU has had a tendency to start very slow lately. That is why I would contend that NDSU needs to attack the Gophers weakness and throw the ball.

344Johnson
09-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Totally agree on that. NDSU has had a tendency to start very slow lately. That is why I would contend that NDSU needs to attack the Gophers weakness and throw the ball.

Bohl and Co. have two weeks to see that the Gophers aren't exactly solid against the pass. Hopefully we can hit 65% for this game. Especially if one or two is deep to Warren. I think that'd be awesome...Oh and then DJ shows them how to dougie.

mnriverbison
09-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Every 5 minutes I have a new thought about this game. Today's thread criticizing the Biz Tribune for not cheering on the home team like a small-town weekly rag is about it for me. I'm not posting and I'm trying not to think about this game until next (work) week. After MN plays Miami and once it truly is Gopher week. I'll probably drive myself crazy otherwise.