PDA

View Full Version : Attn: NDSU, this is how to do a gameday wrapup

AKBison
09-08-2011, 03:27 AM
Freind sent me this link from KU. It truly is an awesome piece of work. I guess they do this after every game. Beats the hell out of the Craig Bohl show by a mile. Oh, and they are still pissed about losing to NDSU.

http://vimeo.com/28743950

Ross
09-08-2011, 04:37 AM
This is almost like a mini-episode of hard knocks. Very good!

MNLonghorn10
09-08-2011, 04:43 AM
http://vimeo.com/14779735

this is more interesting.

Twentysix
09-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Production quality was way better for mcneese st. Judging from the 30 seconds of highlights ku destroyed us. Lol.

IzzyFlexion
09-08-2011, 11:03 AM
An FCS school comes into a BIG 12 team's home stadium and keeps them out of the endzone.
Thing of beauty!
And, you're right. In looking at those highlights it appears as though we got jacked by 40.

MNLonghorn10
09-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Production quality was way better for mcneese st. Judging from the 30 seconds of highlights ku destroyed us. Lol.

good point. its a bunch of sacks, tackles for losses etc for kansas...

then it just ends sayin somethin about the top dog goes down to the underdog and thats what makes football great...

tony
09-08-2011, 02:08 PM
High production values but unimpressive content.

Game highlights > Footage of motivational coach-speak

Ratio of meeting footage to game footage is about 10 to 1.

westnodak93bison
09-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Bells & whistles or Style over substance. Maybe next year they can get Erin Andrews?

mnriverbison
09-08-2011, 02:19 PM
The point is taken though. This stuff is essentially produced to be propaganda aimed at potential recruits and to get passive fans to get more excited. A top shelf program has everything in place. Coaching, atmosphere, and a marketing machine all work together to build a premier program.

The NDSU video is about 6 times too long though. All those practice shots and coach speeches get old.

HerdBot
09-08-2011, 02:26 PM
The point is taken though. This stuff is essentially produced to be propaganda aimed at potential recruits and to get passive fans to get more excited. A top shelf program has everything in place. Coaching, atmosphere, and a marketing machine all work together to build a premier program.

The NDSU video is about 6 times too long though. All those practice shots and coach speeches get old.

It's that type of video that is effective. It's more branding driven but honestly I think our program is at the point where branding is more important.

mnriverbison
09-08-2011, 02:32 PM
I think it is good that Kansas is our example here. This is a BCS program with very little recent success and they are putting together some pretty good stuff.

Here I submit Exhibit B, another BCS program whose recent futility we have great familiarity with. But even they are able to put together a pretty great propaganda video.

http://www.goldengophergridiron.com/

I had trouble embedding the video (I know squat about this stuff), but the video is at the bottom of the page. There is no way we shouldn't have a kick-ass video and we have way more badass highlights to choose from...

tony
09-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah, it sure is purdy... no substitute for a coach's show though.

Reminds me of a Family Guy parody of The Hills. They film 3 seconds of action and then pad it with 20 minutes of exterior shots, slow mos, etc.

If NDSU does something like this, it should be much shorter:

Some stock stuff that's in every video if we want to emulate Kansas:

- 3 seconds: Slo-mo of kickoff, preferably with students in background
- 12 seconds talking about the opponent from Bohl's press conference
- 15 seconds of coach pre-game speech (cut up into 2 to 3 second clips: different angles, focus on a player, etc.)
- 15 seconds of showing shots of players with their headphones on pregame and/or getting taped up
- 10 seconds shot of tunnel walk, 5 two-second clips, maybe some slow mo, weird angles, shaky camera angles
- 15 seconds of crowd shots (mostly student section)
- 20-30 seconds of highlights / coaches encouraging players or players talking to each other
- 2 seconds of "Whale of a game" quote(s)
- 6 1-second shots of tailgating, focus on a "Snorty" flag with a backdrop of blue sky

Lots of shaky cameras, unfocused to focused transitions, weird angles.

Mix up at random, slap on a soundtrack, and I'm spent.

TheBisonator
09-08-2011, 04:18 PM

Reminds me of a Family Guy parody of The Hills. They film 3 seconds of action and then pad it with 20 minutes of exterior shots, slow mos, etc.

Some stock stuff that's in every video:

- 15 seconds of coach pre-game speech (cut up into 5 3-second shots (different angles, focus on a player, etc.)
- 15 seconds of showing shots of players with their headphones on pregame and/or getting taped up
- 10 seconds shot of tunnel walk, 5 two-second shot, maybe some slow mo, weird angles, shaky camera angles
- 20-30 seconds of highlights / coaches encouraging players or players talking to each other
- 6 1-second shots of tailgating, focus on a "Snorty" flag with a backdrop of blue sky

Hell, I know how to use Adobe Premiere, I'll get right on it!!:facepalm2:

bisonmike2
09-09-2011, 08:16 PM

Some stock stuff that's in every video if we want to emulate Kansas:

- 15 seconds of coach pre-game speech (cut up into 2 to 3 second clips: different angles, focus on a player, etc.)
- 10 seconds shot of tunnel walk, 5 two-second clips, maybe some slow mo, weird angles, shaky camera angles

Maybe NDSU should go the Pop Up Video route?

Show highlights of the game then Bohl, Hansen and players pop up randomly in the little bubbles and rip of one liners and horrible jokes?

moosbah
09-09-2011, 09:38 PM
High production values but unimpressive content.

Game highlights > Footage of motivational coach-speak

Ratio of meeting footage to game footage is about 10 to 1.

I believe that is the slogan above the door on the KU football locker room.