PDA

View Full Version : QB Controversy

Bison03
09-07-2011, 07:33 AM
I guess someone had to bring it up. I guess it is a problem that is good to have. After watching Esley play in the forth quarter I wonder if anyone thinks he should be playing more or even starting. I think the talks will ramp up even more if he has another solid performance Saturday in a game where he will probably play most of the second half. And with a two week spam before the gopher game the talk will grow even bigger. Any thoughts?

DjKyRo
09-07-2011, 07:45 AM
I'll say now what I said a few days ago - it's not terribly rational to ponder our starter situation on 3 passes in garbage time. If Esley plays for an extended period of time against St. Francis (who still isn't exactly a team of world-beaters) it's a more credible discussion.

Heck, this is like me pimping Brady Hansen as starting WR based on a practice a year and a half ago where he caught all three circus passes thrown at him.

SlickVic
09-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I'll say now what I said a few days ago - it's not terribly rational to ponder our starter situation on 3 passes in garbage time. If Esley plays for an extended period of time against St. Francis (who still isn't exactly a team of world-beaters) it's a more credible discussion.

Heck, this is like me pimping Dante perez as starting WR based on a scout site from almost 6 seasons ago claiming he had an offer from san Jose state.

Fixed it for ya fool lol but srsly jack michaels and mcfooly were talking about this
"Controversy" earlyer today I had to shut it off that show is absolutley unlistenable...we got 2 legitimate top shelf fcs quarterbacks and they both want nothing but what's best for this team aka there is no controversey what so ever not even close

CaBisonFan
09-07-2011, 08:51 AM
I'd bet that a vast majority of good programs suffer from a bit of a QB controversy almost as a 'constant.' In our situation...it's a great problem to have...but until one stands out as a dominant force the discussion will continue.

Houdini has not appeared yet. We got used to having him under center.

CaBisonFan
09-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Fixed it for ya fool lol but srsly jack michaels and mcfooly were talking about this
"Controversy" earlyer today I had to shut it off that show is absolutley unlistenable...we got 2 legitimate top shelf fcs quarterbacks and they both want nothing but what's best for this team aka there is no controversey what so ever not even close

Agreed about mcfooly...and about the perceived controversy. Great to hear. Both had their moments of brilliance. Nice problem.

As for mcfooly...I wonder who he's related to in the media power structure in the region. He's so out of his league. Always has been.

IzzyFlexion
09-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Here's what we didn't see last Saturday. (because it never became a necessary part of the offense.)

Brock's 2010 rushing stats:

68 rushes for 319 yards.
3.4 yards per carry.
4 rushing touchdowns.
A long of 42 yards.
25.7 rushing yards per game.

With tougher teams Brock has shown the ability to tuck the ball away and pick up significant yardage. This skill will be an important part of the Minny game and subsequent MVFC games. He'll be the starter as long as he's healthy.

dackienhan
09-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Hasselbeck is here for a reason and that's to be this years starter.

HerdBot
09-07-2011, 01:27 PM
I guess someone had to bring it up. I guess it is a problem that is good to have. After watching Esley play in the forth quarter I wonder if anyone thinks he should be playing more or even starting. I think the talks will ramp up even more if he has another solid performance Saturday in a game where he will probably play most of the second half. And with a two week spam before the gopher game the talk will grow even bigger. Any thoughts?

Brock was great and completed 68% of his passes. No change.

344Johnson
09-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Brock should start unless he gets hurt or has a Mertensesque collapse. I have the utmost faith in him.

steelbison
09-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Here's what we didn't see last Saturday. (because it never became a necessary part of the offense.)

Brock's 2010 rushing stats:

68 rushes for 319 yards.
3.4 yards per carry.
4 rushing touchdowns.
A long of 42 yards.
25.7 rushing yards per game.

With tougher teams Brock has shown the ability to tuck the ball away and pick up significant yardage. This skill will be an important part of the Minny game and subsequent MVFC games. He'll be the starter as long as he's healthy.

Agree, one thing I was happy with is we ran ZERO QB draws!!!

I hope that continues!! I absolutely hate that play on third and long..Plus the QB doesn't take unnecessary shots.

bajadanny
09-07-2011, 02:41 PM

I hope that continues!! I absolutely hate that play on third and long..Plus the QB doesn't take unnecessary shots.

Esley is more fluid than Jensen, just a matter of time before he takes over, nothing against Jensen he had a nice game.

mc goofy has no business talking anything about the Bison, as he has said he is not a Bison fan! how has he made it this long, he did not last long on the afternoon program in Bismarck yah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BisManBison
09-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Wow, I can't believe we are even having this discussion. I'm a big fan of Thorton being from Bismarck, but Jensen keeps improving every week and doesn't deserve to lose his job over his play or because Esley went 3-3 in mop up duty. I can't help but laugh and think this is a clear case of the most popular guy on the team is the backup QB ha, ha, ha....

As far as Mcfooly goes, just because he isn't a fan of the Bison doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to discuss them, after all, he is a talk show host. Doesn't mean we have to agree with him or like what he says. Also, him being dropped in Bismarck wasn't due to his program not being that popular, which it isn't. That was retribution for KFGO stealing Jack Michaels.

ndsubison1
09-07-2011, 04:55 PM
it's not like jensen had a bad game. just glad we have a decent backup. its easy to look good vs a team like lafayette. i like what we have in both qb's.

90BISON
09-07-2011, 05:04 PM
The thing I appreciated the most in this game, was that there was no noticeable dropoff in play when Esley came into the game......if they didn't have different numbers, no one would have probably even noticed we'd made the switch....They both played a very "smart" game.....no stupid passes, no glaring errors, no ball on the turf. We will need them both at some point this year, it's a long season.....

CAS4127
09-07-2011, 05:25 PM
The thing I appreciated the most in this game, was that there was no noticeable dropoff in play when Esley came into the game......if they didn't have different numbers, no one would have probably even noticed we'd made the switch....They both played a very "smart" game.....no stupid passes, no glaring errors, no ball on the turf. We will need them both at some point this year, it's a long season.....

Is Brock ambidextrous??!!!:D :hide: :howdy:

westnodak93bison
09-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Until Brock stops telegraphing everything to option#1 we will struggle against good teams. Yes he had a decent game etc. but looking good against a team like Lafayette and St. Francis is one thing and the heart of the MVFC is another. For the record I want the best players playing at every position irregardless of their hometown/birthplace/height/weight/favorite color etc.

CAS4127
09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Until Brock stops telegraphing everything to option#1 we will struggle against good teams. Yes he had a decent game etc. but looking good against a team like Lafayette and St. Francis is one thing and the heart of the MVFC is another. For the record I want the best players playing at every position irregardless of their hometown/birthplace/height/weight/favorite color etc.

There was a lot of that, wasn't there??!! That is another reason I believe the two, close out patterns would have been pics if we had been playing a better team.

westnodak93bison
09-07-2011, 05:48 PM
There was a lot of that, wasn't there??!! That is another reason I believe the two, close out patterns would have been pics if we had been playing a better team.

I agree 100%. If the coaches can't see that then we are in trouble. Some people need to take off the rose colored glasses. Again, this comes back to Vigen. If you can't teach a QB to look off defenders going into their 3rd year in the program there is a problem. I know it is one pass but how about that Thorton to Vaadeland reception? Esley did not stair down Kevin and he was wide open. Whatever "It" is imho Esley has it.

GPSIT
09-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Coach Bohl will stick with Brock for the entire year. Once he makes up his mind he sticks to his decision. Just look back in history. This tread needs to be closed. Coach Bohl will call is right. It is the FIRST game people. Lets get behind the starter and back up. If our starter gets hurt we are in good shape when the backup walks into the huddle.

CAS4127
09-07-2011, 06:10 PM
I agree 100%. If the coaches can't see that then we are in trouble. Some people need to take off the rose colored glasses. Again, this comes back to Vigen. If you can't teach a QB to look off defenders going into their 3rd year in the program there is a problem. I know it is one pass but how about that Thorton to Vaadeland reception? Esley did not stair down Kevin and he was wide open. Whatever "It" is imho Esley has it.

I think that was actually his third option on that play!!

Don't get me wrong, BV'rs, I am not saying there should be or is a QB controversy (I didn't start this thread), but let's not be afraid to make a change if the need arises--hope it doesn't!!

tcbison
09-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Lets keep in mind that Jose Mohler was the starting QB at the beginning of last season so it is safe to say that the coaches could have the wrong QB. Also keep in mind that years ago the coaches were slow to change and take out Tony Strauss and put a guy named Steve Walker in.

Changes can and should happen if they are needed. That being said Jensen is the starting QB right now and that shouldn't change unless he starts playing like Mohler did last year. One thing I really like about Brock Jensen is that he rarely turns the ball over and doesn't get sacked a lot like Mohler did. The jury is still out with Esley Thorton but that is because we have seen very little of him.

bisonmike2
09-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I wish Lakes could post on this topic. Cause then he'd tell us who he thinks should be the starting QB and then we would know that we should go with the other guy.:)

BlueBisonRock
09-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I wish Lakes could post on this topic. Cause then he'd tell us who he thinks should be the starting QB and then we would know that we should go with the other guy.:)

But Jose left and Mertins graduated?

90BISON
09-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Is Brock ambidextrous??!!!:D :hide: :howdy:

CS, I was thinking about that, but didn't want to confuse people on here with such big words..... :)

semobison
09-07-2011, 08:02 PM
I dont think their should be any controversy...yet. Lets see how this plays out. Esley is a frosh, Brock a soph, so there is going to be time to see how this works out. Personally, I think Wentz may have the most potential! Anyway, its a good problem to have!

56BISON73
09-07-2011, 08:05 PM
After one game? There is no controversey. The hacks did a godd job of stirring the pot.

HerdBot
09-07-2011, 08:15 PM
After one game? There is no controversey. The hacks did a godd job of stirring the pot.

yeah not sure why everyone wants contreversy. Having a stable QB is very key to the season. Brock looked great.

WRSDBison
09-07-2011, 10:33 PM
How can there be a controversy? Brock was taken out because WE HAD A HUGE LEAD, that he led us to.

Esley then came in and played against the backups of a team that our first team dominated their first team. Shouldn't our second team atleast be better than their second team? If not, then we have real troubles in the very near future.

If Brock ever goes out and flounders for a half and Esley comes in and plays well against the same players Brock struggled against, then we can talk about a controversy.

westriver bison
09-07-2011, 10:44 PM
How can there be a controversy? Brock was taken out because WE HAD A HUGE LEAD, that he led us to.

Esley then came in and played against the backups of a team that our first team dominated their first team. Shouldn't our second team atleast be better than their second team? If not, then we have real troubles in the very near future.

If Brock ever goes out and flounders for a half and Esley comes in and plays well against the same players Brock struggled against, then we can talk about a controversy.

Would you quit making sense!

tjbison
09-07-2011, 10:49 PM
I dont think their should be any controversy...yet. Lets see how this plays out. Esley is a frosh, Brock a soph, so there is going to be time to see how this works out. Personally, I think Wentz may have the most potential! Anyway, its a good problem to have!

^^^^^^++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Dumbest thread EVER

OrygunBison
09-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Both looked good and the switch was perfectly seamless. I had the second half of the game on mute as I was also watching another game. I did not realize that Esley had come in until I read it on BV after the game. Guess I didn't pay attention to the right v. left...

IMHO, no controversy. Brock's job to lose, regardless of how good the backup is on three plays during mop up. This is just stirring an empty pot.

ndsubison1
09-07-2011, 10:58 PM
yeah there is no controversy. thorton played like 6 plays. he did look salty though. does a good job hiding the ball and faking it

yellowstreak
09-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Brock doesn't win games and Brock doesn't lose games. He's not great with short and medium passes, but throws a great deep ball and doesn't thow a lot of picks. He is a good complement to the running game, keeping the safeties out of the box.

If our starting QB was Jose Mohler, Nick Mertens, Graig Gorder or Ryan Johnson I'd say it was Esley "Quick"© Thorton time. If we had Brock back in 2000 (at his current age), we would have won the championship.

BisoninNWMN
09-08-2011, 12:40 AM
There is no QB controversy!

We have 2 capable QBs....great!

344Johnson
09-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Brock doesn't win games and Brock doesn't lose games. He's not great with short and medium passes, but throws a great deep ball and doesn't thow a lot of picks. He is a good complement to the running game, keeping the safeties out of the box.

If our starting QB was Jose Mohler, Nick Mertens, Graig Gorder or Ryan Johnson I'd say it was Esley "Quick"© Thorton time. If we had Brock back in 2000 (at his current age), we would have won the championship.

Would have been just another qb to tear his ACL down in Omaha :facepalm:

JustinTyem
09-08-2011, 12:59 AM
Just like bohl said about the pards d,they stacked it to stop the run, then brocks over the top and killem,then the pards d went soft to stop the home run,then bohl puts esley in. And then the pards keep trying to stop the home run,so then esley has 3 short quick passes. HOMERS stop kissin esley's rear end. 1 game over spring,summer and fall is better,NOT. get ur heads out of ur rears!!!!!:mad: :pan: :sigpalm:

344Johnson
09-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Just like bohl said about the pards d,they stacked it to stop the run, then brocks over the top and killem,then the pards d went soft to stop the home run,then bohl puts esley in. And then the pards keep trying to stop the home run,so then esley has 3 short quick passes. HOMERS stop kissin esley's rear end. 1 game over spring,summer and fall is better,NOT. get ur heads out of ur rears!!!!!:mad: :pan: :sigpalm:

People always like a mystery. We all loved Jensen last year when he started getting some PT. I for one, really support him. Is he flashy? No. Does he play hard? Yes. Does he play smart? Yeah, you don't see him do much stupid stuff. Does he have the deep ball that will make teams respect our passing game to an extent? Yes. If Esley is better, he will get his turn at some point whether it be this year or next spring. Either way, I'm happy that we have a couple guys we can probably be comfortable with.

GrainGuy_ND
09-08-2011, 04:13 AM
IMO the first two games won't give us a great opinion of what the QB situation is.... The gopher game and MVFC will determine who deserves to lead the bison. I hope esley is given a opportunity, then we can discuss this....:facepalm:

344Johnson
09-08-2011, 05:07 PM

I don't mind running draws from time to time. But yeah, if we can avoid it and our offense still operates fine, I'd say thats the first play I'd like to get rid of simply because of those hits wearing down the qb.

CAS4127
09-08-2011, 05:14 PM
I don't mind running draws from time to time. But yeah, if we can avoid it and our offense still operates fine, I'd say thats the first play I'd like to get rid of simply because of those hits wearing down the qb.

It, the QB draw, should be in our arsenal of plays. If the opponent knows it is a possibility, and we have ran it effectively, it opens up the seam for passing plays--think TE down the seem cuz LB had to pause to ensure no QB draw or other team puts a "spy" LB on QB on third and relatively long.

Tatanka
09-08-2011, 05:30 PM
It, the QB draw, should be in our arsenal of plays. If the opponent knows it is a possibility, and we have ran it effectively, it opens up the seam for passing plays--think TE down the seem cuz LB had to pause to ensure no QB draw or other team puts a "spy" LB on QB on third and relatively long.

You have just exceeded the apparent mental capacity of our current offensive coordinator. To compensate, I have purchased this:

http://thmb.inkfrog.com/thumbn/the_cub_fan/062711_051.JPG=450

This effectively more than doubles capacity, and should allow for your suggestion to be stored as long as the unit is up and running at full power.

CAS4127
09-08-2011, 05:39 PM
You have just exceeded the apparent mental capacity of our current offensive coordinator. To compensate, I have purchased this:

http://thmb.inkfrog.com/thumbn/the_cub_fan/062711_051.JPG=450

This effectively more than doubles capacity, and should allow for your suggestion to be stored as long as the unit is up and running at full power.

Don't know if you are giving me shit, a back-handed compliment, both or neither--in other words, you have me completely confused.

That said, I have had a lot of time to think about FB over the off season, I am excited that it has begun, I am pretty sure everyone with season tickets who sat by me at the Lafayette game has already asked to return their tickets for a full refund (possibly more given the one game of punishment they endured), and my status as a member of TOHBTC may be in jeopardy!!

But, God I love football, especially Bison and Viking football

Tatanka
09-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Don't know if you are giving me shit, a back-handed compliment, both or neither--in other words, you have me completely confused.

That said, I have had a lot of time to think about FB over the off season, I am excited that it has begun, I am pretty sure everyone with season tickets who sat by me at the Lafayette game has already asked to return their tickets for a full refund (possibly more given the one game of punishment they endured), and my status as a member of TOHBTC may be in jeopardy!!

But, God I love football, especially Bison and Viking football

Actually, neither. I thought it was a great suggestion but that there's no way our current offensive coordinator would be able to comprehend it without additional memory or brainpower installed.

On the other hand, now that you've asked the question, I'm thinking I might need to buy another one. :D

Bison03
09-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Bohl said today that Esley will play in the 1st half. Should be exciting to watch our 2 great qb's

CAS4127
09-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Bohl said today that Esley will play in the 1st half. Should be exciting to watch our 2 great qb's

THIS^ and having DJ sit, may result in the Goofers having a bit of a problem with the D game plan--let's hope. Let's also hope that we run some different plays with Brock and Esly, but ones WE know they can both run/execute. This is getting interesting--but let's first piss pound St. Fran and their TE coach!!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-08-2011, 06:32 PM

We ran that play quite a bit last year, mostly when Mohler was QB, but it usually wasn't by design. :facepalm:

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-08-2011, 06:33 PM

I was thinking he would start the second half.

CAS4127
09-08-2011, 06:50 PM

This is a smart move by Bohl (note that I am assuming Vigen didn't make it), as it gives Esley PT with the #1 offense, potentially when the game has yet to be decided. As pointed out by BisonNeil a week or so back, we have not done this in the past. Perhaps we learned something from last year?!?!?!?

4mcruenomore
09-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Interesting thread.

EndZoneQB
09-08-2011, 09:25 PM
This is a smart move by Bohl (note that I am assuming Vigen didn't make it), as it gives Esley PT with the #1 offense, potentially when the game has yet to be decided. As pointed out by BisonNeil a week or so back, we have not done this in the past. Perhaps we learned something from last year?!?!?!?

I think Bohl has gradually been changing and molding his ways since the up and down he's had here. Might as well get your best 2 QB's some experience, you've got nothing to lose. Maybe he saw how comfortable Esley looked in the game and thought there might be something to it. He did look really comfortable for a freshman...and that above skills is almost more important. If you are comfortable, it is pretty easy to build the confidence to get things done.

steelbison
09-08-2011, 10:05 PM

CAS, I agree with this. But Vigen has fallen in love with this play and runs it WAY too much. Once or twice a game to keep the d honest np. But when I can call the play before it happens and our QB gets crushed it frustrates me.

devin45k
09-09-2011, 11:42 PM
There always needs to be pressure but its Brock's job to lose

WRSDBison
09-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Brock looked good today against a DIII opponent. We'll see what happens against UM in 2 weeks.

A1pigskin
09-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I thought Brock did a little better job this week.

NDSUstudent
09-11-2011, 01:37 PM
All I have to say is....QB controversy....DEAD!

A1pigskin
09-11-2011, 01:39 PM
I don't there is controversy. Brock is our guy. I was glad to see the backups getting reps.

344Johnson
09-12-2011, 12:19 AM
So......pretty muddy right now as to who has earned the starting job eh?

56BISON73
09-12-2011, 12:21 AM
So......pretty muddy right now as to who has earned the starting job eh?

Not muddy at all. Its still Jensen. As a matter of fact at this juncture I wouldnt say its even close.

344Johnson
09-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Not muddy at all. Its still Jensen. As a matter of fact at this juncture I wouldnt say its even close.

I need to work on my internet sarcasm. 56Bison has not caught onto it twice recently and the problem must lie within me.

BlueBisonRock
09-12-2011, 01:12 AM
I need to work on my internet sarcasm. 56Bison has not caught onto it twice recently and the problem must lie within me.

And, contrary to what Tatanka says, 56 understands sarcasm.

unbison
09-12-2011, 01:18 AM
And, contrary to what Tatanka says, 56 understands sarcasm.

not all the time blue
not all the time rock

56BISON73
09-12-2011, 01:27 AM
not all the time blue
not all the time rock

Correct, sometimes I miss one here and there.. But I do understand it.

yellowstreak
09-12-2011, 01:40 AM
I thought Brock did a little better job this week.

agree

westnodak93bison
09-12-2011, 02:58 AM
I saw pretty much the same. Stare down number one option and that was about it. Yes Brock threw some nice balls but I'd still like to see our QB fool or freeze a safety on occasion. Or how about a pump fake to #2 option and double move by our #1 option and bam over the top!

Tatanka
09-12-2011, 03:05 AM
I saw pretty much the same. Stare down number one option and that was about it. Yes Brock threw some nice balls but I'd still like to see our QB fool or freeze a safety on occasion. Or how about a pump fake to #2 option and double move by our #1 option and bam over the top!

Whoa, whoa, whoooooooaaaa there. You're suggesting our QB should look at a receiver and then NOT throw it to him? Is this even possible? Does our OC/QB coach know of this technique?

56BISON73
09-12-2011, 03:19 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoooooooaaaa there. You're suggesting our QB should look at a receiver and then NOT throw it to him? Is this even possible? Does our OC/QB coach know of this technique?

Ive heard that the Bison coaching staff is holding back until that strategy is a proven technique. No use trying something while its in the experimental phase.

ThunderDan
09-12-2011, 03:39 AM

You can teach all you want, but as the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"
Some guys have "it" and some guys don't. Brock is no Steve Walker. Let's be honest, Brock is an average FCS quarterback. He's got a big arm, and hopefully that gets him through most games. It's not like the coaches are completely oblivious to the fact that he stares down his receivers. You gotta work with what you got.

Yellow
09-12-2011, 04:47 AM
What if brock has not had to go to his #2 option. Through the first 2 games his first read has probably been open...

westnodak93bison
09-12-2011, 10:49 AM
What if brock has not had to go to his #2 option. Through the first 2 games his first read has probably been open...

I good corner will let the QB think the option is open then jump the route and pick it.

EndZoneQB
09-12-2011, 01:23 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking to be honest....I think his first read has always been open so why look at other options? I saw in one play during the Bohl show that appeared like he was looking deep down field and ended up with a 5-10 yard completion after his head looked at that receiver. We will know after Minnesota if he is staring them down or his first read just works out.

steelbison
09-12-2011, 02:22 PM
I good corner will let the QB think the option is open then jump the route and pick it.

Well, if that were the case Brock would be throwing picks at an alarming rate
If you look at his stats since he's played you will see very few picks.

In fact that's what I really like about the guy. He doesn't turn the ball over.

People bitched about his accuracy(justified) He's certainly picked that up.
People don't forget Brock is only a SOPH. He's getting better everyday.

His footwork and release have improved 100% from last year.

Can't wait till the Gopher game!

Bison bison
09-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Well, if that were the case Brock would be throwing picks at an alarming rate
If you look at his stats since he's played you will see very few picks.

In fact that's what I really like about the guy. He doesn't turn the ball over.

People bitched about his accuracy(justified) He's certainly picked that up.
People don't forget Brock is only a SOPH. He's getting better everyday.

His footwork and release have improved 100% from last year.

Can't wait till the Gopher game!

What other stats would we be looking at? Joe DiMaggio's 3rd year hitting average with runners in scoring position?

CAS4127
09-12-2011, 03:08 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking to be honest....I think his first read has always been open so why look at other options? I saw in one play during the Bohl show that appeared like he was looking deep down field and ended up with a 5-10 yard completion after his head looked at that receiver. We will know after Minnesota if he is staring them down or his first read just works out.

Brock was very accurate Saturday night, so one has to give him credit for that. Like people have said, he does stare down his #1 option, and the problem is that he is staring at that receiver even before a cut is made and or before the guy is open. As soon as he gets the snap, his head turns and he locks on the #1 option--that's what he needs to get away from to take the next step. Ya, the receiver may ultimately become open (and have in first two games) but consider the competition.

Just my .02.

EndZoneQB
09-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Brock was very accurate Saturday night, so one has to give him credit for that. Like people have said, he does stare down his #1 option, and the problem is that he is staring at that receiver even before a cut is made and or before the guy is open. As soon as he gets the snap, his head turns and he locks on the #1 option--that's what he needs to get away from to take the next step. Ya, the receiver may ultimately become open (and have in first two games) but consider the competition.

Just my .02.

No, I hear ya. If he does read pre-snap that the guy will be open, he should be able to look else where and come back and throw to a spot before the guy makes his break pretty easily.

I wonder if it has slowed down for him yet?

bisonsupporter
09-12-2011, 03:18 PM

Just my .02.

I think anyone who knows a little something about playing qb can see this. It is completely obvious Jenson is looking at the receiver the entire time from the snap. This was evident on Saturday. Hopefully, he is just doing this for the Gopher film so it gets their safeties and LB's going the wrong way. If not, Jenson might have 3-5 INT's by half.

CAS4127
09-12-2011, 03:21 PM
I think anyone who knows a little something about playing qb can see this. It is completely obvious Jenson is looking at the receiver the entire time from the snap. This was evident on Saturday. Hopefully, he is just doing this for the Gopher film so it gets their safeties and LB's going the wrong way. If not, Jenson might have 3-5 INT's by half.

Yep, the Goofs corners and safeties are gonna have closing speed like we have not yet seen. I can see them baiting Brock in on a pass and then closing the gap and going for a pic 6--Brock and Vigen have two weeks to cure this nasty habit--he did it last year too, so this is not some scheme by him or Vigen coming into the Gopher game.

Bison"FANatic"
09-12-2011, 03:31 PM
The athleticism that we will see against the Gophers is going to be a problem on these out passes. We are getting them in there now but they have been close and even had a few just about picked. Throw in some closing speed and athleticism and I agree we may see a pick 6 against us. The coaching staff is aware of the staring at the primary receiver and they are working on it, heard it right from the horses mouth as did many others on this board.

4mcruenomore
09-12-2011, 03:40 PM
My biggest thing is to get Bohl to make an adjustment or a change. If Brock does throw 3 picks in the first half for example, make a change. That's all I ask for. I have a feeling though, that Brock will do just fine, they will work on it the next couple of weeks imo. If not, well, I have already given my opinion on who I like at QB.

KTF
09-12-2011, 03:40 PM
The athleticism that we will see against the Gophers is going to be a problem on these out passes. We are getting them in there now but they have been close and even had a few just about picked. Throw in some closing speed and athleticism and I agree we may see a pick 6 against us. The coaching staff is aware of the staring at the primary receiver and they are working on it, heard it right from the horses mouth as did many others on this board.

To Brock's credit I did see him look a few times at other recievers during the game on saturday night. Another concern I have is the pass defense... Both STFU and Laffayette were able to exploit the middle of the field 5-10 yards off the line of scrimmage in crossing patterns... I would expect the gophers to hit us hard with these types of patterns to open up the running game...

stevdock
09-12-2011, 04:42 PM
To Brock's credit I did see him look a few times at other recievers during the game on saturday night. Another concern I have is the pass defense... Both STFU and Laffayette were able to exploit the middle of the field 5-10 yards off the line of scrimmage in crossing patterns... I would expect the gophers to hit us hard with these types of patterns to open up the running game...

My opinion is that it is a fault of the Tampa 2 Defense. I don't like it but have gotten to the point of accepting it. It's the same as almost always playing way off the outside WR and giving them that 5 yard curl, out, etc. Every coach I've ever heard with the Tampa 2 has said we will give all that up to basically keep them in front of us and make the other team do it play after play after play. Nobody ever does though.

Personally I wish we would run some of these crossing routes because we definitely don't run enough of them.