PDA

View Full Version : Grothmann

bajadanny
09-06-2011, 04:54 PM
How about that catch by number 40!!!! if we have fullbacks that can adjust and make that snag, we are in pretty good shape.

Gophers look improved

Bison Dan
09-06-2011, 04:59 PM
How about that catch by number 40!!!! if we have fullbacks that can adjust and make that snag, we are in pretty good shape.

Gophers look improved

I don't think anyone wanted to tackle him! He's a load when he gets going.

344Johnson
09-06-2011, 05:21 PM

Gophers look improved

True, pretty bad offense still. Lot of folks over on gopherhole screaming QB CONTROVERSY because Marqueis Gray looked no better than a true freshman. I remember the last time we played a Minnesota team with a true freshman at QB. :hungry:

CAS4127
09-06-2011, 05:36 PM

Gophers look improved

Fundamentally, Grothman is probably our best player, period. He keeps his pads low, slight bend at the knees and just explodes people when he gets the chance or they get in his way. That was a very nice catch, and I would like to see more of it. Would also like to see him on a FB dive play from time to time. He won't run past people, but he has very good feet, good vision, makes people miss, and does not go down easily. Like I said, from a purely fundamental football perspective, he may be our best player.

SDbison
09-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Fundamentally, Grothman is probably our best player, period. He keeps his pads low, slight bend at the knees and just explodes people when he gets the chance or they get in his way. That was a very nice catch, and I would like to see more of it. Would also like to see him on a FB dive play from time to time. He won't run past people, but he has very good feet, good vision, makes people miss, and does not go down easily. Like I said, from a purely fundamental football perspective, he may be our best player.
I agree........Grothman is one tough player on offense that I would like to see get the ball more often. Reminds me a bit of Roehl.

mnriverbison
09-06-2011, 06:00 PM
I remember the last time we played a Minnesota team with a true freshman at QB. :hungry:

The obvious difference being that Weber was started for lack of other options and Shortell earned his stripes as a true freshman in week 1 at USC against a Monte Kiffin defense. Besides, the word in the papers is that Gray is the QB.

mnriverbison
09-06-2011, 06:09 PM
I agree........Grothman is one tough player on offense that I would like to see get the ball more often. Reminds me a bit of Roehl.

I think we see it more if the WR corp can't step up and scare the big boys sans Vraa.

HerdBot
09-06-2011, 07:17 PM

And he was a solid running back in high school too.

"Three-time North Dakota 9-man all-state selection, twice at running back and once at linebacker for Hillsboro High School and head coach Mark Rerick ... Played in North Dakota Shrine Bowl and MonDak Bowl ... Rushed for a state championship game record 378 yards in leading Hillsboro to 2008 title ... Rushed for 1,496 yards and 28 TDs on 123 carries ... Averaged 12.2 yards per carry ... Selected Region 2 Athlete of the Year ... Four-year starter and four-time all-region performer who rushed for 3,821 yards and 69 TDs on 388 attempts ... Averaged 9.8 yards per carry ... Recorded 327 tackles including 158 solos and 6.5 sacks ... Outstanding wrestler for Hillsboro and coaches Eric Ptacek and Mark McLean ... Two-time state champion at 189-pounds and selected North Dakota’s Mr. Wrestler in 2009 ... Three-time Brute Adidas National Champion ... Undefeated over last two seasons ... Finished prep wrestling career with a school record 188 wins including 88 consecutive .."

CAS4127
09-06-2011, 07:32 PM
And he was a solid running back in high school too.

"Three-time North Dakota 9-man all-state selection, twice at running back and once at linebacker for Hillsboro High School and head coach Mark Rerick ... Played in North Dakota Shrine Bowl and MonDak Bowl ... Rushed for a state championship game record 378 yards in leading Hillsboro to 2008 title ... Rushed for 1,496 yards and 28 TDs on 123 carries ... Averaged 12.2 yards per carry ... Selected Region 2 Athlete of the Year ... Four-year starter and four-time all-region performer who rushed for 3,821 yards and 69 TDs on 388 attempts ... Averaged 9.8 yards per carry ... Recorded 327 tackles including 158 solos and 6.5 sacks ... Outstanding wrestler for Hillsboro and coaches Eric Ptacek and Mark McLean ... Two-time state champion at 189-pounds and selected North Dakota’s Mr. Wrestler in 2009 ... Three-time Brute Adidas National Champion ... Undefeated over last two seasons ... Finished prep wrestling career with a school record 188 wins including 88 consecutive .."

Yep, I watched him play several times, was at the record-setting 9-man SC game, and also saw him wrestle many times--did I mention I have lived in Hillsboro for the last 10-11 years!!! Even so this is NOT A HOMER thing. If I thought he was playing poorly, did not deserve his spot or was just average, I would say that--but he isn't.

1998braves64
09-07-2011, 04:24 AM
I've only lived in Hillsboro the last 6 years so I can't be a homer either?! I remember watching him play here the year before they won state and saw how dominating he was at running back! Remember in 9 man football most of these kids play both sides of the ball too so to rack up 300+ yards in a championship game is a pretty big accomplishment, although the Wildfire didn't give them much competition that year.

He did drop a very catchable pass on Saturday think it was the 1st qtr? I almost missed it because normally don't see too many fullback passes and after that thought that would be the end of it but apparently the coaches like that option with him which he proved up to on the 2nd one! If you watch him block he's a beast of a blocker too he will get on his man and stay with him almost always until the RB is by him and then some. He placed a key block on one of DJ's TD runs too right at the end of the run before they got into the end zone to ensure the TD. Being he is only a sophomore should see a couple more good years out of him!

westnodak93bison
09-07-2011, 04:28 AM
The obvious difference being that Weber was started for lack of other options and Shortell earned his stripes as a true freshman in week 1 at USC against a Monte Kiffin defense. Besides, the word in the papers is that Gray is the QB.

Weber is in the NFL. He was a pretty solid QB when we played them.

bri-dog
09-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Well at least Weber WAS in the NFL -- the Broncos cut him the other day; not sure if anyone picked him up or not. Rumors were that some Broncos higher-ups thought he was better than Tebow, but we never really got to see him.

dackienhan
09-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Gus Grothmann and other who settled in Wis and Il. Very active in Lutheran church. Any info appreciated. Thanks

56BISON73
09-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Gus Grothmann and other who settled in Wis and Il. Very active in Lutheran church. Any info appreciated. Thanks

The settled in WI after a very ardous trip fighting the hostile native americans from the foothills of the Appalacians. Despite the hardships two were born and it was said it only made them stonger. It was along the way that they first laid eyes on the mighty plains Bison. Little did they know what destiny had in store for them after that first meeting.

Tatanka
09-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Gustav "Gus" Grothmann was born in Prussia on Jan 26, 1834 to August Grothmann and Justine. Gus married Albertine Vehlow and had 7 children. He passed away on Feb 5, 1893 in Grafton, Wisconsin, USA. On his deathbed, it is rumored that he whispered to his children, "stay away from the flame, for it doth suck hind teat". Confused, his children documented his last request and adopted it as their family slogan.

For generations, it didn't become obvious what Gus had meant until UND unveiled its centennial logo in 1984.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/undddlogo2.jpg

BurroBlue
09-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Remember in 9 man football most of these kids play both sides of the ball too so to rack up 300+ yards in a championship game is a pretty big accomplishment, although the Wildfire didn't give them much competition that year.
To be fair to the rest of the team, Andrew didn't rush for all 378 in the title game - that was the team total. I don't remember his actually tally, but he was in the 130 yard range. He was a dude, though.

tony
09-10-2011, 06:35 PM
To be fair to the rest of the team, Andrew didn't rush for all 378 in the title game - that was the team total. I don't remember his actually tally, but he was in the 130 yard range. He was a dude, though.

I figured you should know so I looked it up. You're right and his player bio on NDSU's site is wrong (his bio says he rushed for 378, the team total, instead of 161.)

http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/article_7816fa8c-f0a1-5a8c-974b-c6c105131e1a.html

Pretty impressive stats anyway: Looks like Grothmann had three TD runs in the 1st quarter, each around 40 yards. He only rushed 11 times in the entire game but scored points on 5 of them!

BTW, Lots of Bison show up in the Dakota Bowl record book:

http://www.metrotournament.com/ArchivedSites/2009StateFootball/Tournamentrecords.html

4mcruenomore
09-10-2011, 06:44 PM
I figured you should know so I looked it up. You're right and his player bio on NDSU's site is wrong (his bio says he rushed for 378, the team total, instead of 161.)

http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/article_7816fa8c-f0a1-5a8c-974b-c6c105131e1a.html

Pretty impressive stats anyway: Looks like Grothmann had three TD runs in the 1st quarter, each around 40 yards. He only rushed 11 times in the entire game but scored points on 5 of them!

BTW, Lots of Bison show up in the Dakota Bowl record book:

http://www.metrotournament.com/ArchivedSites/2009StateFootball/Tournamentrecords.html

The kid from Shanley has the longest FG, did he end up playing somewhere?

Twentysix
09-11-2011, 05:49 AM

I think we offered him a prefered walkon? Maybe he isnt playing fb?

NDSUDude
09-11-2011, 05:52 AM

He was going to walk on at Nebraska, not sure what actually ended up happening