O line is awesome

yellowstreak
09-04-2011, 01:43 AM
I give praise to the defense, as always, but here are my observations:

We are loaded at runningback

We are loaded at QB

O line is awesome

:nod:

Biggest issues I saw were with the short to medium passing game.

4mcruenomore
09-04-2011, 01:44 AM
:nod:

Biggest issues I saw were with the short to medium passing game.

I am confident that will come around

OrygunBison
09-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Brock looked better but is still telegraphing where he is going. Anyone else see that or am I being too picky?

Go Ducks.

4mcruenomore
09-04-2011, 01:54 AM
Brock looked better but is still telegraphing where he is going. Anyone else see that or am I being too picky?

Go Ducks.

Go Ducks! I hate LSU

rdh701
09-04-2011, 02:16 AM

Go Ducks.

I would agree with that, first game and all, but Esley had more zip and passes looked spot on!

HandoEX
09-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Brock telegraphed a ton early but corrected that late in the game. This D line is unbeleivable. This unit will be dominant for years to come.

Voigt's first punt was awful.

The refs were terrible, but their mistakes went our way...they owe us for Cheney

CaBisonFan
09-04-2011, 02:34 AM
Wanna add this:

I thought that Brock played well. And my first impression of Esley is that he's going to be very special.

And oh...Ojuri is a load...the real deal.

Hopeful-Bison-Baller
09-04-2011, 02:35 AM
Crowd wasnt the greatest. Hopefully it gets better next week

Civil06
09-04-2011, 02:49 AM

The crowd was pretty good I thought. Tailgating was packed. The students had a great turnout for Labor Day weekend and most stayed until the end.

A few thoughts on the game:

Trevor Gebhart and Ryan Smith showed good hands. Holloway played unbelievable. Our QBs are good. DJ made a guy look absolutely silly in the open field. Our defense is solid and passionate. The offensive line will be very good, and deep, once Billy Turner is back on the field. Great to see very few penalties and no turnovers.

Our team is very good.

TbonZach
09-04-2011, 02:49 AM
The GSMB was awesome as usual. :biggrin:

/thread drift

GradBison
09-04-2011, 02:51 AM
My observation for the day is the lack of thread creation and the very slow pace of posting.

I guess we don't have much to bitch about. :D

Great performance over all.

OrygunBison
09-04-2011, 02:52 AM

Our third home game - the one against the Gophers - will have the crowd up. I will see you all there.

NDSUstudent
09-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Not bad considering our offense for the most part was pretty vanilla, Jensen was shakey early but he really seemed to come into his own as the game moved along. We need Turner back though, Richard is servicable against the likes of Lafayette and St Francis but I think he would get exposed against a better team at LT.

All in all though I thought it was a solid home opener.

GradBison
09-04-2011, 02:54 AM
Our third home game - the one against the Gophers - will have the crowd up. I will see you all there.

Awesome! Glad you're making it!

Hopeful-Bison-Baller
09-04-2011, 02:59 AM
The crowd was pretty good I thought. Tailgating was packed. The students had a great turnout for Labor Day weekend and most stayed until the end.

A few thoughts on the game:

Trevor Gebhart and Ryan Smith showed good hands. Holloway played unbelievable. Our QBs are good. DJ made a guy look absolutely silly in the open field. Our defense is solid and passionate. The offensive line will be very good, and deep, once Billy Turner is back on the field. Great to see very few penalties and no turnovers.

Our team is very good.

My mentality for this team is National champs or bust. Anything less than a championship is a disappointment to me, I think we can be THAT good. And for a team that caliber (IMO), I feel the crowd should have been more full and louder. It seemed like there were a ton of blue seats. And the student section disappeared going into the 2nd half. A ton of the students left.

344Johnson
09-04-2011, 03:04 AM
Wanna add this:

I thought that Brock played well. And my first impression of Esley is that he's going to be very special.

And oh...Ojuri is a load...the real deal.

Wasn't digging him near the goal-line, but hey, DJ used to dance a bit too.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-04-2011, 03:57 AM
The O-line needs to get much better. We couldn't get a thing going in the first half and this wasn't a very good team. If we want to win consistently on the conference the line has to be better. Hopefully that will improve with Turner returning. Also, I thought the play calling was very vanilla, but I guess that is old news.

On the positive side, the defense was/is fantastic. This unit is lights out and will keep us in every game this season.

Good size crowd. A little quite but pretty average. Looking forward to a good season.

Kermit
09-04-2011, 04:01 AM
Defense was really good, as expected. The entire unit is so much more athletic than a couple years ago and great depth in the front 7.

Jensen and the offense had a tough start, but improved as the game went on. Brock looked nervous to start. Still too many 2-yard passes to the sideline. Ojuri looked really good at times, but I want to see him square up his shoulders and get up field in short yardage situations. I honestly think Lang is our best short yardage back. Esley was excellent in mop up. He made a couple of quick and correct decisions. Zach Vraa will be a HUGE loss. Not much depth at receiver right now.

Really impressed with no turnovers and only 2 penalties in a season opener.

Our kickoff team is night and day better than a couple years ago. We didn't have backups like Olson, Littlejohn, Carter, Boyd to put out there. And KYLE EMMANUEL! That young man is just a stud.

bri-dog
09-04-2011, 04:02 AM
So, how was the lighting?

56BISON73
09-04-2011, 04:04 AM

BRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

344Johnson
09-04-2011, 04:05 AM
Zach Vraa will be a HUGE loss. Not much depth at receiver right now..

Whats wrong with Vraa?

Kermit
09-04-2011, 04:06 AM
Whats wrong with Vraa?

Another broken collarbone.

ndsubison1
09-04-2011, 04:10 AM
only question mark is wide receiver depth. we have none

Da_Bison
09-04-2011, 04:13 AM
sure wish we'd use Veldman, he should be catching at least 5 balls a game. Didn't Bohl use to say he had the best hands on the team?

Bisonguy
09-04-2011, 04:23 AM

A definite improvement. Lighting is on par with the Metrodome, at least when the Gophers played there.

If I wasn't waiting for a replacement monitor for my PC, there'd be some Bison Illustrated photos uploaded already.

phxbison
09-04-2011, 04:25 AM

Go Ducks.

He not only was telegraghing it, he was late on the shorth throws. Frankly, I thought Esley got the ball out much quicker. I was not all that impressed with Brock tonight other than the two big copletions. Well, at least he did'nt throw any picks. He'll need to be much sharper than he was tonight in order for us to have a chance against the Gophers.

CaBisonFan
09-04-2011, 04:46 AM

Any guess as to how long Zach will be out ?

Bisonguy
09-04-2011, 04:50 AM
Any guess as to how long Zach will be out ?

They were speculating 8 weeks on the postgame radio. Probably will know more after the Monday (Tuesday??) press conference.

stevdock
09-04-2011, 04:51 AM
He not only was telegraghing it, he was late on the shorth throws. Frankly, I thought Esley got the ball out much quicker. I was not all that impressed with Brock tonight other than the two big copletions. Well, at least he did'nt throw any picks. He'll need to be much sharper than he was tonight in order for us to have a chance against the Gophers.

So shoot me for saying this, but the real games don't start in two weeks they start in 3 weeks. The team needs to be ready to start the conference. If we lose to the gophs big deal, but we better be ready for Ill. St and even more SIU the week after.

CaBisonFan
09-04-2011, 04:52 AM

Esley's release is like lightning...and you can see that his ability to make quick, good decisions is off the chart. He's a franchise qb.

CaBisonFan
09-04-2011, 04:56 AM
So shoot me for saying this, but the real games don't start in two weeks they start in 3 weeks. The team needs to be ready to start the conference. If we lose to the gophs big deal, but we better be ready for Ill. St and even more SIU the week after.

Agreed....

344Johnson
09-04-2011, 05:05 AM
Brock's deep ball is at worst solid. His short game can be suspect but keep in mind he was playing against a defense that had their mind on the game. by the time esley came in the defense had other things on their mind. trust me, i played for a shitty high school, by the end of the game we quit caring if we were getting stomped. In esley's defense, he looked good. Accurate, quick decisions. We didn't get to see his deep ball which for me can be a deal breaker.

DjKyRo
09-04-2011, 05:35 AM

Shoot me for saying this, but the real games don't start for 3 weeks, they start in 4 weeks. We have a bye after St. Francis. :)

ndsubison1
09-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Non conference games are important too

Twentysix
09-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Non conference games are important too

For sure. Everyone needs to remeber Lafayette was #1 of 7 division I wins. Playoffs playoffs playoffs.

CaBisonFan
09-04-2011, 09:11 AM
For sure. Everyone needs to remeber Lafayette was #1 of 7 division I wins. Playoffs playoffs playoffs.

Is 7 wins in DI considered sort of a magic number to get into the playoffs?

Twentysix
09-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Is 7 wins in DI considered sort of a magic number to get into the playoffs?

6 DI wins kept montana out last year(after 16 or 17 straight years of making the playoffs). 7 is the magic number to get consideration. Unless you win your league's autobid. Should the playoffs expand to 24, 7 wins will probably pretty much gurantee playoffs most years for NDSU. We arent always going to win the valley, nor have we even once yet. But we can always strive for the playoffs.

cbline
09-04-2011, 12:22 PM
I was very pleasantly surprised by the number of students at the game. I expected much fewer with the holiday weekend. Keep it up the rest of the season, students!!! Good job!!!

westnodak93bison
09-04-2011, 12:43 PM
I would agree with that, first game and all, but Esley had more zip and passes looked spot on!

I agree 100%. Brock telegraphs everything as has every NDSU QB since Walker. Never a pump fake or decent play action. The responsible party must be Vigen imho. Is it really that hard to teach looking one way and coming back? Good teams will jump the routes.

BisoninNWMN
09-04-2011, 01:20 PM
The O-line needs to get much better. We couldn't get a thing going in the first half and this wasn't a very good team. If we want to win consistently on the conference the line has to be better. Hopefully that will improve with Turner returning. Also, I thought the play calling was very vanilla, but I guess that is old news.

On the positive side, the defense was/is fantastic. This unit is lights out and will keep us in every game this season.

Good size crowd. A little quite but pretty average. Looking forward to a good season.

Lafayette was bound and determined to stop the inside run and they did in the 1st half. When Vigen started to call outside tackle runs then the running game opened up. Many times Lafayette had 8-9 in the box...esp on 1st down. Plus they were blitzing a lot. So I think our O-line did pretty well considering the moving of guys around.

JSUBison
09-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Thoughts on Voit's punting for those in attendance. His stats in the boxscore caught my eye. I was only able to watch part of the 3rd quarter of the game. :mad:

BisoninNWMN
09-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Thoughts on Voit's punting for those in attendance. His stats in the boxscore caught my eye. I was only able to watch part of the 3rd quarter of the game. :mad:

He shanked his 1st punt. Not bad overall though.

In warm-ups he sure gets good height on his kicks.

A1pigskin
09-04-2011, 02:11 PM
The first punt was severely shanked, but the rest were acceptable.

KSBisonFan
09-04-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm going off the Lafayette broadcast but our team speed was ridiculous in comparison to them. Their announcers were impressed with our speed and with our QB play. Jensen looked ok but am I wrong to think he'd look better if the passing game was opened up and he was given a chance to pass more down the field past the first level of defenders? He's robotic taking the snap finding his first read and firing it 2 or 3 yard to the sideline.

A1pigskin
09-04-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm going off the Lafayette broadcast but our team speed was ridiculous in comparison to them. Their announcers were impressed with our speed and with our QB play. Jensen looked ok but am I wrong to think he'd look better if the passing game was opened up and he was given a chance to pass more down the field past the first level of defenders? He's robotic taking the snap finding his first read and firing it 2 or 3 yard to the sideline.

He looked really good at the 2 or 3 yd sideline pass. He was quick.

X-Factor
09-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Esley's release is like lightning...and you can see that his ability to make quick, good decisions is off the chart. He's a franchise qb.

So we already have people crowning him the next coming after watching 3 passes over a webcast? He did look great last night, but lets give this some time before we start jumping to wild conclusions.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KVdmpK1Q64U/TbHh8quslAI/AAAAAAAAB5o/_6Mf6-a7E-w/s320/jump+to+conclusions+mat.jpg

A1pigskin
09-04-2011, 02:22 PM
So we already have people crowning him the next coming after watching 3 passes over a webcast? He did look great last night, but lets give this some time before we start jumping to wild conclusions.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KVdmpK1Q64U/TbHh8quslAI/AAAAAAAAB5o/_6Mf6-a7E-w/s320/jump+to+conclusions+mat.jpg

I think what we saw was positive. I'd rather see this than the negative.

KSBisonFan
09-04-2011, 02:24 PM
He looked really good at the 2 or 3 yd sideline pass. He was quick.

Well played, pigskin.

X-Factor
09-04-2011, 02:25 PM

Mediocre. (long of 37) But lets give him some time to adjust. New position for him.

A1pigskin
09-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Mediocre. (long of 37) But lets give him some time to adjust. New position for him.

I'd go with mediocre

BisonNeil
09-04-2011, 02:29 PM
A couple of comments.

For those who think the real schedule doesn't start until conference play, that is four weeks away, not three. We play St. Francis, have a bye week, play UMN, then we get to the conference play.

For those concerned about the OL play, I am not. Richard was playing a position he has not played since high school and Anderson is not the greatest OG in the world. Once Turner gets back and Richard settles back in at LG, they will be fine. We do need to get some players back such as Jerve and Jacobs.

Several complained about the vanilla offense. I am not concerned about the offense being vanilla at this point. I don't think the Bison needed to get too fancy to beat this team or the next. Why show any more cards than you have to before the Bison get to the Gopher game or conference play? Besides, with how poorly the offense played in the first half I think they simply needed to be able to execute the base plays.

I do agree that losing Vraa is a huge loss. He broke his collarbone last year also. I am wondering just how durable this kid will be. I think this team is deep at every position except WR which could affect the passing game, which is the part of the team that has concerned me from the beginning. This team will go as far as the offense can take it (the defense is championship quality!), and the Bison cannot simply run the ball as many here have suggested. We need an effective passing game and that is still open to question at this point, but it is early.

Overall, I think it was a solid first game. We should see huge improvement next week, but it would be nice to see Esley get into the game before 5 min left. If I have a disappointment in this game, it is Bohl's continued reluctance to put in the back up QB until the game is nearly over.

NDSUstudent
09-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Highlights are now up on Gobison...

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205266403

ndsubison1
09-04-2011, 07:36 PM
A couple of comments.

For those who think the real schedule doesn't start until conference play, that is four weeks away, not three. We play St. Francis, have a bye week, play UMN, then we get to the conference play.

For those concerned about the OL play, I am not. Richard was playing a position he has not played since high school and Anderson is not the greatest OG in the world. Once Turner gets back and Richard settles back in at LG, they will be fine. We do need to get some players back such as Jerve and Jacobs.

Several complained about the vanilla offense. I am not concerned about the offense being vanilla at this point. I don't think the Bison needed to get too fancy to beat this team or the next. Why show any more cards than you have to before the Bison get to the Gopher game or conference play? Besides, with how poorly the offense played in the first half I think they simply needed to be able to execute the base plays.

I do agree that losing Vraa is a huge loss. He broke his collarbone last year also. I am wondering just how durable this kid will be. I think this team is deep at every position except WR which could affect the passing game, which is the part of the team that has concerned me from the beginning. This team will go as far as the offense can take it (the defense is championship quality!), and the Bison cannot simply run the ball as many here have suggested. We need an effective passing game and that is still open to question at this point, but it is early.

Overall, I think it was a solid first game. We should see huge improvement next week, but it would be nice to see Esley get into the game before 5 min left. If I have a disappointment in this game, it is Bohl's continued reluctance to put in the back up QB until the game is nearly over.

agreed. our offense is way further along then it was at this time last year. i am not concerned. only worry is wide receiver depth.

HandoEX
09-04-2011, 07:52 PM

Anderson didn't see the field. Beckius and Gimmestad played at the guard spots.

CaBisonFan
09-04-2011, 08:28 PM

I was impressed with Brock too. I think that he should be the starter. I was just amazed at what I saw of Esley. Apparently, we have at least 3 quarterbacks on the roster that can really play at this level. It's a great problem.

BadlandsBison
09-04-2011, 09:13 PM
My observation: the bunnies should be peeing their pants.

SpursBison
09-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Worked out watching Bethune-Cookman crush Prairie View on EPSN2. Wow. Only September, but that team looks polished. But then again, we looked like we were in mid-season form yesterday. And I love the yellow.

bisonmike2
09-04-2011, 11:11 PM
I didn't see any of the game but I listened to the whole thing while driving across North Dakota last night. This is what I heard.

O-line seemed a bit off, but they got better as the game went on and people were playing out of position. Hopefully this will come together when Turner gets back in.

Brock made better decisions. He didn't force many balls and he did toss some away when he was in trouble. Accuracy wasn't quite there but did get better. Everyone was very impressed with Thorton when he came in. Hopefully we have a solid 1/2 at that position.

WR's didn't drop many balls. Losing Vraa sucks. Not alot of depth now but it looks like we can go over the top if they want to stack the line.

Our running game has the potential to be the best in the country when our o-line gels.

Our defense is solid and deep. We should be in every game this year because of them.

I didn't get to see the yellow jersey's until this morning but I love them. Anyone know if you can order one online? I looked at Scheels and the bookstore but didn't see them.

DjKyRo
09-04-2011, 11:14 PM
I don't know that we should question Brock in favor of Esley after just three passes. Only real way to tell how he'll do in a full game situation is for Brock to tank or get injured. I don't think anyone wants to see either of those play out.

CaBisonFan
09-04-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't know that we should question Brock in favor of Esley after just three passes. Only real way to tell how he'll do in a full game situation is for Brock to tank or get injured. I don't think anyone wants to see either of those play out.

Not suggesting replacing Brock...wasn't either. Just commenting on how sharp Esley looked. It appears that having at least 2 good quarterbacks is almost essential to make it through a regular season and a playoff run.

Twentysix
09-04-2011, 11:52 PM
As much as I don't like esley, it seemed he choose his recievers better. Not always going with option #1.

I can't say he is a better QB physically. But he appeared to have better field vision than brock.

344Johnson
09-04-2011, 11:57 PM
QB- Brock has a good deep ball. He started a bit shaky but hey, first game of the year. I think he should continue to start, but I would have liked to see more of Esley, I wouldn't be opposed to him getting at least the entire 4th quarter next week if the score permits that.

RB- DJ and Sam are awesome. Sam danced a bit too much by the goalline when he just needed to hit the hole hard. I'm sure he will address it, DJ used to be the same way.

WR- They looked pretty good. Warren is still an animal, sucks to lose Vraa but injuries are a part of football. Maybe he can come back late in the year? Who really knows I guess. Would like to see us develop a better connection on 5-15 yard passes.

OL- Looked really ordinary early on, Turner being out kind of threw a wrench in on everything and as the game went on things started to gel better. I am in no way an expert on line play, I could be wrong.

DL- We looked damn good. We dominated them, hopefully it is something we get used to seeing this year regardless of the competition. I was a bit concerned about how the team would replace Gratzek, I am a bit less concerned now.

LB- Typical Bison performance, solid. These guys are good.

DB- Gave up a TD when their qb had about 10 seconds to throw, which is understandable. Marcus nearly jumped a route for 6.

Voigt might just need a bit of time to adjust to the new position. I will give him time. He did put them inside of the 20 a couple of times.

CaBisonFan
09-05-2011, 12:11 AM
As much as I don't like esley, it seemed he choose his recievers better. Not always going with option #1.

I can't say he is a better QB physically. But he appeared to have better field vision than brock.

The Lafayette announcers gave Esley glowing reports when he chose something like option #4 or 5. They also commented on the velocity of his sideline passes. Didn't take them long to pick up on the talent and field intelligence. It was glaring. Esley has some 'significant' talent.

I think that Brock does too. He made some really great passes. The TD toss to Holloway was absolutely perfect...and under pressure. He definitely gives us the deep threat.

4mcruenomore
09-05-2011, 12:19 AM

Why would you say you don't like him?

herdmember
09-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Let me know if I'm missing anyone, but so far the tally of impact players that aren't playing this year and should be are Brendin Pierre, Mike Sigers, and now Zach Vraa.

Christian Dudzik seems like a hard nose player, but it seemed that Lafayette could throw in front of him fairly easily. Pierre would have been nice here. Shepherd got a bunch of playing time towards the end of the game. The jury is still out on him. He seems small, but that could be irrelevant. I'm surprised Boyd has fallen so far after a great spring game.

Not sure we ever had a punt rush on, but I never saw anyone close to the punter last night, and our kickoff return team didn't look that explosive yet either. Hope someone steps up to fill the Sigers role.

Our WRs will now be scary thin. I was looking forward to Vraa's perfect compliment to Holloway all year and Minnesota's Mr. Football stepping up vs the Gophers. When is Dante Perez back? I wonder if he'll end up helping in someway here.

This is just a great example of no matter how great you recruit/coach, it can be tough to makeup for injuries/suspensions. Like someone said though, it's part of the game and you just have to see how good your depth steps up.

I think the offensive line will be awesome once they get healthy. I think Jensen will be a stud and a leader with a more than capable backup. The RBs are fantastic. The Linebackers are unbelievable 2 or even 3 deep. The Dline should be solid, especially on the ends. I'm still interested to see how they do against a smash mouth running team from the MVC. 3/4 of the secondary is flat out awesome. The kick and punt team with all these stud LBs and Emmanuel is going to be special. Is Don Carter not even on the 2 deep? That's unbelievable depth!!

Twentysix
09-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Why would you say you don't like him?

Cause he is a douche from bismarck like ming :D

344Johnson
09-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Let me know if I'm missing anyone, but so far the tally of impact players that aren't playing this year and should be are Brendin Pierre, Mike Sigers, and now Zach Vraa.

Christian Dudzik seems like a hard nose player, but it seemed that Lafayette could throw in front of him fairly easily. Pierre would have been nice here. Shepherd got a bunch of playing time towards the end of the game. The jury is still out on him. He seems small, but that could be irrelevant. I'm surprised Boyd has fallen so far after a great spring game.

Not sure we ever had a punt rush on, but I never saw anyone close to the punter last night, and our kickoff return team didn't look that explosive yet either. Hope someone steps up to fill the Sigers role.

Our WRs will now be scary thin. I was looking forward to Vraa's perfect compliment to Holloway all year and Minnesota's Mr. Football stepping up vs the Gophers. When is Dante Perez back? I wonder if he'll end up helping in someway here.

This is just a great example of no matter how great you recruit/coach, it can be tough to makeup for injuries/suspensions. Like someone said though, it's part of the game and you just have to see how good your depth steps up.

I think the offensive line will be awesome once they get healthy. I think Jensen will be a stud and a leader with a more than capable backup. The RBs are fantastic. The Linebackers are unbelievable 2 or even 3 deep. The Dline should be solid, especially on the ends. I'm still interested to see how they do against a smash mouth running team from the MVC. 3/4 of the secondary is flat out awesome. The kick and punt team with all these stud LBs and Emmanuel is going to be special. Is Don Carter not even on the 2 deep? That's unbelievable depth!!

Someone got relatively close once..guys like Sigers who was an animal on FG blocks spoil us into thinking we aren't any good.

DjKyRo
09-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Cause he is a douche from bismarck like ming :D

Yeah, like Ming! Ha!

Wait a second...

Twentysix
09-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Someone got relatively close once..guys like Sigers who was an animal on FG blocks spoil us into thinking we aren't any good.

Warren could/can block FG/punts. I would bet Marcus willams could too.

I kind of got the feeling if Gratzek was in that game he would of had 5 sacks by himself. I dont think our Dline is as good as last year. Not saying they are bad, but I felt like there was some drop off.

I'm not that interested in a left handed QB, but if esley has the talent to off set that more power to him. Wentz is huge and looks like he has a good arm. I really want to see more of him.

WRSDBison
09-05-2011, 01:06 AM
I was impressed with Brock too. I think that he should be the starter. I was just amazed at what I saw of Esley. Apparently, we have at least 3 quarterbacks on the roster that can really play at this level. It's a great problem.

Who is the 3rd? I hope you're not talking about Perez.

bisoneer
09-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Overall I give this game an A- rating for the team and an A rating for the coaches. The team came out a bit 'rusty?' but warmed it up in a hurry after the 1st qrtr. The coaches did great, especially going for the TD at the end of the half vs. the FG - great choice.

Hope Vraa heals fast and gets back by the conf. schedule. Thorton looks very good and its nice have 2 deep at QB due to injury potential. DJ and his backup Ojuri really give us a nice 1 -2 punch at RB. The Def. looks ok so far, Heagle has a lot of smack for his size - hope he plays smart and avoids injury. Voightlander needs to average 40 yds. to really be a plus at punter. (I'd like to see him fake one each game when punting from mid field or so).

GO HERD!

4mcruenomore
09-05-2011, 01:13 AM

Wentz

TABS (10 char.)

IzzyFlexion
09-05-2011, 01:41 AM

Those god damned colar bone fractures are like herpes. They both can haunt someone forever.
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=423649&highlight=break#post423649

CaBisonFan
09-05-2011, 01:57 AM

Wentz....who I realize is a redshirt.

herdmember
09-05-2011, 01:38 PM

Agreed, I'm not saying we're not any good, I'm saying we're missing an animal.

Rockbear99
09-05-2011, 03:31 PM
QB- Brock stares down his receivers a little too much. It got better in the second half. I thought his deep pass's were right on the money. I thought his pocket presence was good also.

RB- DJ and Sam looked very good. Did not have allot of holes in the early part of the game. Sam studder steps a little too much but then again so did DJ his first couple years. I also liked the hard running of Lang at the end of the game. Grothman had one nice reception but on drop too. Can't wait to see the screen game added to the offense.

WR- I forgot the speed Warren has he looked good. Had one drop on third down but he more than made up for that. Sucks about Vraa. Smith looked ok in the slot and made a great diving catch on the sideline. Cant wait to see one of those reverses where he goes in motion and takes the hand off, could be special.

TE- Do we have one on the team

OL- Had me worried right out of the gate. Did not see many open holes to run through. Came together later and looked ok. It may of been just me but some thing about 77 upset me. The guy looks like a monster but even though he did not play I noticed he seemed disconnected from the team. He was last in team huddle, last in the locker room, last coming out, did not stand with the team on the side lines. He may of just been upset at the injury but you can still learn by being next to the coaches during the game. I did see him jawing with the officials once in a while so the fire is there.

DL- Got several pressures on QB. Looks to be a strength of the team. The only thing I noticed was the DT's did not always keep gap control. I said in the third quarter to the guy next to me that if the other team ran a QB draw we would get gouged and we did thank god it was late in the game.

LB- Love the linebackers. I thought they looked good in coverage and against the run.

DB- Heagle is a tackling machine. He may be my favorite on Defense. I know they gave up a late TD but we got no rush on the QB and he put that pass in a great place. Saw a few nice break ups by DB's.

ST- Smith looks to miss the lanes that open up some times. On a few of the punts I thought he would fair catch but instead he returned them this is a vast improvment from last year in my book. He has to take care of the ball also he almost lost a fumble. Voightlander first punt was horrendous. Thank god he settled down and was ok the rest of the way. He gets good hang time. I still hate the punt formation.

This is my first review of a game hope I did ok.

Bison bison
09-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Thumbs up to Colten! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33DWqRyAAUw&feature=related

Herd
09-05-2011, 03:58 PM
I know that Pierre is, but is Sigers still in school?

Bison bison
09-05-2011, 04:02 PM
He's in the phone book.

Either way. I hope he's doing well.

4mcruenomore
09-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Would have been nice to see Sigers on the field this year.

HerdBot
09-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Game thoughts ...

Great job by marketing on a terrible weekend. Would like to hear the sound system turned up a little and try to be a little more crowd interactive.

1) great student turnout! They stayed most of the game and helped create a fun atmosphere
2) average "rest of the crowd." Good turnout. The crowd wasnt that into the game but that is to be expected when your kicking the other teams ass. It takes a week to get back I.to the mood for football.
3) tailgating. Take away the wind and it was a blast. Didn't see any problems with excessive security.
4) dome sound system is still too quiet
5) seemed like we had less commercials running. Added bonus.
6) lights look awesome
7) gold jersies - looked good and grew on me
8) gold rush - by far the most gold/yellow and it looked cool

Now onto the game...
1) we physically dominated the game and didn't do anything fancy. We were clearly bigger, stronger, and faster.
2) d-line got heavy pressure without blitzing
3) depth on defense is amazing
4) oline started slow but when you replace the entire left side of your line its bound to mess things up. Wore them down late in the game
5) Brock looked sharp. You can't argue with 68%
6) we have 3 good running backs
7) voights first punt was pretty bad but did a good job the rest of the way
8) strange how they tested Williams much of the night
9) Heagle left off like last year
10) bummer on Vraa. Looks like we may see more Gebheart, Smith, and Cooper Wahlo.

Herd
09-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Game thoughts ...

Great job by marketing on a terrible weekend. Would like to hear the sound system turned up a little and try to be a little more crowd interactive.

1) great student turnout! They stayed most of the game and helped create a fun atmosphere
2) average "rest of the crowd." Good turnout. The crowd wasnt that into the game but that is to be expected when your kicking the other teams ass. It takes a week to get back I.to the mood for football.
3) tailgating. Take away the wind and it was a blast. Didn't see any problems with excessive security.
4) dome sound system is still too quiet
5) seemed like we had less commercials running. Added bonus.
6) lights look awesome
7) gold jersies - looked good and grew on me
8) gold rush - by far the most gold/yellow and it looked cool

Now onto the game...
1) we physically dominated the game and didn't do anything fancy. We were clearly bigger, stronger, and faster.
2) d-line got heavy pressure without blitzing
3) depth on defense is amazing
4) oline started slow but when you replace the entire left side of your line its bound to mess things up. Wore them down late in the game
5) Brock looked sharp. You can't argue with 68%
6) we have 3 good running backs
7) voights first punt was pretty bad but did a good job the rest of the way
8) strange how they tested Williams much of the night
9) Heagle left off like last year
10) bummer on Vraa. Looks like we may see more Gebheart, Smith, and Cooper Wahlo.

Gabe . . . I agree with almost all of you input. However, less on the PA system is more if you ask me. It's college football, I'm not in favor of a bunch of artificial noise. I thought it was just right this past saturday. If you are about artificial enthusiasm, you'd want to drive north about 75 miles.

coldspot
09-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Gabe . . . I agree with almost all of you input. However, less on the PA system is more if you ask me. It's college football, I'm not in favor of a bunch of artificial noise. I thought it was just right this past saturday. If you are about artificial enthusiasm, you'd want to drive north about 75 miles.

or ask TAB's wife :rimshot: :hide:

WRSDBison
09-05-2011, 06:35 PM
or ask TAB's wife :rimshot: :hide:

Now that's funny.

HerdBot
09-05-2011, 06:57 PM

I thought Michael's voice was at a perfect level but the music was too quiet. I'm not saying we have to turn it up to 11 but a few more notches would be good.

Thunder_Struck
09-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Need to turn it up for the tunnel walk.

Herd
09-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Last year's Robert Morris game, now that was a great college football atmosphere. That had zero to do with music and PA systems.

344Johnson
09-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Last year's Robert Morris game, now that was a great college football atmosphere. That had zero to do with music and PA systems.

However, it'd be nice to have thats another bison.........first down. Without the PA it is extremely hard for the students to be all going at the same time.

56BISON73
09-05-2011, 08:37 PM

I agree. I enjoyed not having all that mindless prattle.

Did anybody else notice the football scores that were posted. Dont think I saw ole Slippery Rock up there this time.:) Much better job!!!!
I sent an email telling them so also.

Tatanka
09-05-2011, 09:05 PM
However, it'd be nice to have thats another bison.........first down. Without the PA it is extremely hard for the students to be all going at the same time.

*cough* yell leaders *cough* Should be able to coordinate this without the voice from above, no?

We seem to do just fine at road games.

CaBisonFan
09-05-2011, 09:44 PM
*cough* yell leaders *cough* Should be able to coordinate this without the voice from above, no?

I think that 'that's another Bison...first down' is lame, at best. It sounds half-hearted and like...."oh geez...I didn't know that."

Sorry...I've never liked it. There shouldn't be a lack of sound if the play was good enough. BTW...don't we expect to get first downs?

It's on the 2003 vid at Montana...done by their crowd. Did we get it from there?

Kid stuff.

roadwarrior
09-05-2011, 09:51 PM
It's on the 2003 vid at Montana...done by their crowd. Did we get it from there?

Probably. The PA announcer there prompted the crowd with "thats another first down", and crowd followed with "montana".

tjbison
09-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Probably. The PA announcer there prompted the crowd with "thats another first down", and crowd followed with "montana".

Montana St done something similar last year i the playoff game.

344Johnson
09-05-2011, 10:00 PM

Well maybe this year with a yell leader it will be coordinated better, we got better as the game went on at the RMU playoff game.

semobison
09-05-2011, 10:56 PM
After the opening kickoff I dont want to hear any music over the PA. This is college football! Thats why the band has reserved seats in the end zone! When did they start doing that crap anyway??

Tatanka
09-05-2011, 11:10 PM
After the opening kickoff I dont want to hear any music over the PA. This is college football! Thats why the band has reserved seats in the end zone! When did they start doing that crap anyway??

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Twentysix
09-05-2011, 11:32 PM

Yell leaders were out of sight and out of mind. You couldnt even see them most of the game from section 16. Couldnt hear them at all. Also ridiculous how a single tshirt never makes its way to section 16. Every game... What student wouldnt want to sit on the 30?!?! It blows my mind how they fill in the endzone sideline and the 5 and 10 so quickly...

Twentysix
09-05-2011, 11:36 PM
I think that 'that's another Bison...first down' is lame, at best. It sounds half-hearted and like...."oh geez...I didn't know that."

Sorry...I've never liked it. There shouldn't be a lack of sound if the play was good enough. BTW...don't we expect to get first downs?

Kid stuff.

People also know its 4th down. Its a way of taunting the other team in unison. It makes the game alot more enjoyable. If we didnt have coordinated cheers like that most students wouldnt make a sound. At best 1 out of every 6 students yells on 3rd down once you are above the intial bottom section. Without those cheers even less would be into the game imo.

I also think the more coordinated the cheering the less 2s a faggot you will hear.

NDSUstudent
09-05-2011, 11:51 PM
The only thing I will say about playing music over the speakers, is that if you are going to do it than do it right. The dome isn't Ruby Tuesday, crank the music to 11.

Tatanka
09-05-2011, 11:59 PM
The only thing I will say about playing music over the speakers, is that if you are going to do it than do it right. The dome isn't Ruby Tuesday, crank the music to 11.

++ It ain't country kitchen buffet, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0wm3JwXbLs&t=1m19s

CaBisonFan
09-06-2011, 12:08 AM

Agreed...some kinds of music are meant to be played damn loud. In a football stadium...crank it. Make it almost unbearable for the super-casual fan.

56BISON73
09-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Agreed...some kinds of music are meant to be played damn loud. In a football stadium...crank it. Make it almost unbearable for the super-casual fan.

If you want music go to a freaking concert.

CaBisonFan
09-06-2011, 12:16 AM

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

For about the 100th time...as a former band director for this type of event...the PA music is offensive. It'd be just like playing NFL highlights on the big screen during the game because the game is too boring.

These are student events. There 'is' a band. You don't hear this crap at places like USC, LSU, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Alabama, etc, etc, etc. It would be sacrilege...seriously. The alum...all hell would break loose.

Priority....team...cheerleaders & band...student body. If anything gets in the way of the team, cheerleaders, or band...the priorities are screwed up. These three entities are 'directly' involved and have worked hard to get ready to perform.

The band has the whole show at most classy venues. Cheerleaders, PA announcer, and the band control the atmosphere in support of the team and the entire school.

But if it the pa music must be played...then play it loud. Ear-shattering.

tony
09-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Leevon Perry chasing down their QB from behind was awesome.

Not be QB Controversy Guy but Brock should put the ball where Elsey did on those sideline passes. Brock had some great downfield passes though.

Crowd was very good and the student section was great.

CAS4127
09-06-2011, 02:00 AM

Not be QB Controversy Guy but Brock should put the ball where Elsey did on those sideline passes. Brock had some great downfield passes though.

Tony, u r spot on. No access to computer this weekend--ya, I am on effin IPhone--but what u have brought up is right there. I will post my thoughts on game tomorrow. Not like anyone cares but I will post my thoughts nonetheless. As teaser, the D-line were animals.
Also, there was an outstanding player on defense. He didn't lead in tackles, but his play was outstanding.

SlickVic
09-06-2011, 02:22 AM
This ant the fryn pan people let's pump it up

sambini
09-06-2011, 02:32 AM

Well said Tony++++++

westnodak93bison
09-06-2011, 02:35 AM
Carlton Littlejohn #38 is gonna be a good one imho. He seemed very active.

344Johnson
09-06-2011, 02:40 AM
I will post my thoughts on game tomorrow. Not like anyone cares but I will post my thoughts nonetheless.

I think your thoughts are usually pretty insightful CAS. As long as they aren't posted from an IPhone. Now...if you use a human centipad...I'm very interested....

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110425051136/southpark/images/thumb/9/94/HumanCentiPad01_press.jpg/350px-HumanCentiPad01_press.jpg

bisonfan08
09-06-2011, 01:37 PM
I thought overall the team looked good. Offense needs to get going a little more early, we had the big play, but team just looked a little sluggish. I'm going to let it slide based on the O-Line adjustments that had to be made, but if we don't get better play calling against the Gophs we won't get the ball past the 50. Defense was rock solid. D-Line was incredible, Heagle still easily my favorite player on this team and Linebackers looked solid. 2nd corner spot looks like it's gonna be a bit of an issue early, hoepfully somebody will step up going forward. It really sucks losing Vraa, dude looked like he could have been one hell of a player for us this year. Timeline should get him back to us by playoffs if there are no setbacks, but gonna hurt goin through the Valley without him. With a bit of depth shortage any chance anyone gets their redshirt lifted?

BisonAccountant44
09-06-2011, 02:17 PM

Kid stuff.

I've always liked it. I know we did it before 2003 also. I remember doing it my freshmen year in 2000, and it's not just us or the Montana schools that do it. Ours is a little different, but I've heard something similar at Camp Randal, ISU-Red, UNI, and I think the Gophers did something as well. The only college venue I've been to where I would say they didn't do it was at Nebraska, and even then, when I was there they had so few first downs that it wouldn't surprise me if I just missed it.

phxbison
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
I thought overall the team looked good. Offense needs to get going a little more early, we had the big play, but team just looked a little sluggish. I'm going to let it slide based on the O-Line adjustments that had to be made, but if we don't get better play calling against the Gophs we won't get the ball past the 50. Defense was rock solid. D-Line was incredible, Heagle still easily my favorite player on this team and Linebackers looked solid. 2nd corner spot looks like it's gonna be a bit of an issue early, hoepfully somebody will step up going forward. It really sucks losing Vraa, dude looked like he could have been one hell of a player for us this year. Timeline should get him back to us by playoffs if there are no setbacks, but gonna hurt goin through the Valley without him. With a bit of depth shortage any chance anyone gets their redshirt lifted?

If I'm not mistaken, someone did get their redshirt lifted. I pretty sure I saw Berkley Grimm in for at least one play at fullback.

tony
09-06-2011, 04:20 PM
If I'm not mistaken, someone did get their redshirt lifted. I pretty sure I saw Berkley Grimm in for at least one play at fullback.

Good eye. He played according to the box score.

80ALUM
09-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Crowd size was good. More students than I expected for Labor Day weekend. However, I don't think I have ever seen the reserved seating crowd this dead.
Hardly anyone in our section stood on 3rd downs. Also, was the band smaller than normal because of the long weekend thing? Couldn't hear them very well.
Tailgating- one of the best ever.

344Johnson
09-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Crowd size was good. More students than I expected for Labor Day weekend. However, I don't think I have ever seen the reserved seating crowd this dead. Hardly anyone in our section stood on 3rd downs. Also, was the band smaller than normal because of the long weekend thing? Couldn't hear them very well.
Tailgating- one of the best ever.

Reserved crowd is usually pretty quiet. However, at the Robert Morris game last year.....I thought they done good.

bri-dog
09-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Reserved crowd is usually pretty quiet. However, at the Robert Morris game last year.....I thought they done good.

Section 18 for that game was at least a LITTLE louder -- I was there for that one.:)

344Johnson
09-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Section 18 for that game was at least a LITTLE louder -- I was there for that one.:)

Your avatar and signature suggest you have a good sense of humor. I trust people who like good comedy.... so let me restate something...Lakes style.

OH MY GOD, YOU GUYZ ARE ALL JUST HATERS...GO TO UND IF YOU WANT TO SIT DOWN AND WATCH FOOTBALL. SECTION 18 AND STUDENT SECTION...GOOD JOB! PARTY BEFORE AND AFTER AT THE RAINFOREST! GO BISON! FBS FBS FBS FBS FBS FBS! BIG TEN! SIOUX ARE EMBARASSING AND THATS WHY GRAND FORKS FLOODED IN '97. *******

****** DISCLAIMER: I don't really want any of you guys to go to UND to watch football. That was a really hateful thing to say....same with the flood, that was a cold-hearted Lakes-style joke.

ndsubison1
09-06-2011, 07:59 PM
The Good:
Defense was awesome.
Lafayette: 2-12 on 3rd downs
Held them to 54 rush yards
2 penalties
0 turnovers

The Bad:
WR Depth
Punting was inconsistent
0 forced turnovers

HoopsBison
09-06-2011, 08:16 PM
OLine was really shuffled. I don't know a great deal about the positions but how did that group. I noticed Richard moved to LT, that cant be the easiest of transitions how did he fare? How about TE blocking?

Thanks

BISONBRI53
09-06-2011, 08:32 PM
I thought the line didn't look like the line we saw in Montana or Washington. I thought as the game went on we would blow them away. (I know it wasn't our complete line) DJ and Sam shoulda run wild on them! Lang looked good at the end of the game. ( His grandparents hung out at tailgating with us for a bit.) I thought our secondary was weak. Not looking for the ball. Thorton looked good.

bisonaudit
09-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I liked going for it on 4th and Goal at the end of the 1st half. We need more agressive tactics like this. It's absolutely the right thing to do in that circumstance, the clock is working for you, the field is working for you, that should be an automatic green light every time.

More of this please Coach Bohl and less kicking.

344Johnson
09-06-2011, 09:15 PM
The Good:
Defense was awesome.
Lafayette: 2-12 on 3rd downs
Held them to 54 rush yards
2 penalties

And how many of those yards were late? They had a few runs in the dying embers that got them over the half century mark..

Bison"FANatic"
09-06-2011, 09:24 PM
And how many of those yards were late? They had a few runs in the dying embers that got them over the half century mark..

They had 47 yards rushing the last drive

ndsubison1
09-07-2011, 07:21 AM
i also noticed they only threw to williams' side like 4-5 times

CaBisonFan
09-07-2011, 11:35 AM
i also noticed they only threw to williams' side like 4-5 times

It's great to have a dominant db that can shrink the size of the field for the opposing qb.