PDA

View Full Version : I have webcast/TV hookup question:

TheBisonator
09-03-2011, 10:07 PM
I was wondering if I have the right stuff to hook the laptop I have to my TV tonight. I have a 2-year-old Vizio HD TV with two HDMI ports, I have multiple-port HDTV cable and a laptop with wall outlet adapter (no USB hookup). What other kinds of cables/adapters do I need to hook this up? Otherwise I'll just lie on the couch watching it on my lap.

Thanx in advance!

bisonpride4ever
09-03-2011, 10:12 PM
you should be able to just hook your laptop to your tv using the hdmi cable and it should work. At least it does for me

bri-dog
09-03-2011, 10:13 PM
If your laptop has an HDMI out, you should just be able to connect it right to your tv. As far as I know, though, most laptops don't supply audio out thru HDMI, so you'd also need a stereo out cable connected from your headphone jack to your tv.

KTF
09-03-2011, 10:16 PM
I run HDMI from laptop to tv and audio is included, probably depends on tv model and capabilities.

bri-dog
09-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I run HDMI from laptop to tv and audio is included, probably depends on tv model and capabilities.

I'm using my work computer (a Mac), that could be why the audio doesn't work. Either that, or I just don't know of some audio setting. My way works, though -- I just have the audio cables going through my receiver.

MOTBison
09-03-2011, 10:24 PM
HDMI is Audio and Video

TheBisonator
09-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Looks like I need a cord with either a jack or USB connection, and I don't have one.

Sorry to waste your time guys.:hide:

EmeraldCityBison
09-03-2011, 10:34 PM
You can use a VGA cable. Most laptops have a VGA out (to connect to a monitor). If your TV has VGA in, it'll work.

Audio either through the laptop speakers or some TVs have a 8mm jack so you could connect it to the laptop's headphone jack.

This is what I do since my laptop doesn't have HDMI out.

bri-dog
09-03-2011, 10:39 PM
I wasn't very clear, either. Since this Mac doesn't have a real HDMI out, it uses an adapter that connects to HDMI. That's why it's video only, and not "true" HDMI".

MOTBison
09-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Looks like I need a cord with either a jack or USB connection, and I don't have one.

Sorry to waste your time guys.:hide:

Do you have and S-Video output on your laptop?

TheBisonator
09-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Do you have and S-Video output on your laptop?

The only outlets on my laptop that have the correct kind of size/shape for my TV/DVD cables are headphones, mic and DCIN.

MOTBison
09-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Oh thats too bad. at least you can watch the game