PDA

View Full Version : Football Tailgating Policy

Pages : [1] 2 3

CHADSTAUS
08-31-2011, 01:44 AM
Not sure if anything changed. Here is a link to NDSU's tailgating policy. Maybe there are some people new to the tailgating experience.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1264858

Tatanka
08-31-2011, 03:24 AM
Not sure if anything changed. Here is a link to NDSU's tailgating policy. Maybe there are some people new to the tailgating experience.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1264858

Suggestion: Sticky.

WYOBISONMAN
09-01-2011, 04:21 AM
Suggestion: Sticky.

Done!..................

Fast50Dad
09-05-2013, 06:18 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/06/yny9ara7.jpg

Albrecht will be closed. Line up in D for reserved.

GA on 17th Ave and wrap south on 18th St.

Go Bison!

LikeMothers
09-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Will parking along the south side of 17th Ave. still be there and/or accessible? I prefer to park away from the tailgating area and walk in, to leave more space for everyone's rigs. Last year worked but it started to be more difficult with the lineup and police blocking roads. R-lot is more crowded due to the new track and field building.

HerdBot
09-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Can someone edit the original post or start a new one
The link is dead

Tatanka
07-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Got a copy of the policy and had to sign on the dotted line before they will send me the tailgate passes. Looks like no changes of consequence but I didn't read it that close.
Sent from somewhere using my Windows Phone.

StL Bison Fan
07-23-2014, 02:55 AM
Got a copy of the policy and had to sign on the dotted line before they will send me the tailgate passes. Looks like no changes of consequence but I didn't read it that close.
I heard they banned fuzzy hats and coats. Didn't say anything about sausage.

BisonTeacher
07-23-2014, 03:13 AM
I heard they banned fuzzy hats and coats. Didn't say anything about sausage.

Did they say anything about Sombreros?

tjbison
07-23-2014, 12:04 PM

all the same on mine so I decided to sign it

No_Skill
09-10-2014, 03:14 AM
I've never lined up early for our resereved spots, but I am planning to this week to get set up in time for Gameday. I know you queue up in D lot, but which entrance do you use?

roadwarrior
09-10-2014, 11:53 AM
I've never lined up early for our resereved spots, but I am planning to this week to get set up in time for Gameday. I know you queue up in D lot, but which entrance do you use?

Enter from the east end of lot D

No_Skill
09-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Enter from the east end of lot D

I understand that, but do they want you to enter from 19th, University, or 17th? Or doesn't it matter?

imabison
09-10-2014, 03:13 PM
I understand that, but do they want you to enter from 19th, University, or 17th? Or doesn't it matter?

That's a good question with the 19th Ave construction. I know there will be access from 19th but with limited access due to detours it will
be interesting. I guess I would risk 17th on the south side of the dome, and hope they are giving direction there.

anyone with a better idea speak up.

THEsocalledfan
09-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Slight thread drift, I admit, but:

In Aimes Iowa, that had 5X the number of folks tailgating than we do in Fargo. They opened lots 6 hours before the game and I never once saw security personnel. I guess I just don't get it sometimes; namely why the Fargo nazi's are so scared of tailgating.

Bison"FANatic"
09-10-2014, 03:23 PM

In Aimes Iowa, that had 5X the number of folks tailgating than we do in Fargo. They opened lots 6 hours before the game and I never once saw security personnel. I guess I just don't get it sometimes; namely why the Fargo nazi's are so scared of tailgating.

Something about someone trying to light a rainforest on fire or something. :)

roadwarrior
09-10-2014, 04:25 PM

19th Ave Status
I-29 to 18th St = Fully open
18th St to Albrecht = one lane in each direction
Albrecht to University = Totally closed, detour on 21st Ave
University to 10th St = one lane only for westbound, closed eastbound

Gully
09-10-2014, 04:51 PM

That's been my conclusion every time we've tailgated somewhere. I'd like to ask whoever is in charge of Fargodome tailgating what problem they are trying to solve?

CyPanth
09-11-2014, 01:45 AM

True. I've seen cops near the stadium before/after games in Ames, but can't recall ever seeing a cop in the tailgate lots . . . and we are usually near the road that goes between the lots where it would be easy to patrol. It was much worse in Iowa City two years ago . . . cops giving out lots of open container citations.

StL Bison Fan
10-09-2014, 08:09 PM
This just sent out. Hmmm...

Just a few reminders for all of our Tailgater’s as we come up to our Homecoming event.

• All tailgate setups must remain in the confines of your purchased spaces, designated by the painted parking spots.
• Blocking walkways and driveways is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. All equipment must fit in your space.
• Lot G south is a 1st come 1st serve lot. All portable equipment and pedestrians will be removed from lot G south until all vehicles have entered. Saving spots will not be allowed. Security will patrol Lot G until all vehicles have entered.

Security will be available to assist anyone who needs help with these guidelines.

We appreciated your cooperation.

Patrick Simmers
Sr. Associate AD/Team Makers

imabison
10-09-2014, 08:24 PM

Just a few reminders for all of our Tailgater’s as we come up to our Homecoming event.

• All tailgate setups must remain in the confines of your purchased spaces, designated by the painted parking spots.
• Blocking walkways and driveways is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. All equipment must fit in your space.
• Lot G south is a 1st come 1st serve lot. All portable equipment and pedestrians will be removed from lot G south until all vehicles have entered. Saving spots will not be allowed. Security will patrol Lot G until all vehicles have entered.

Security will be available to assist anyone who needs help with these guidelines.

Patrick Simmers

Looks like all is as it was, they must have got a complaint about someone.

And does this mean that NDSU is not adopting the Ole Miss policy to be able to pay students
to come in and reserve that spots for them :)
:0)

TAILG8R
10-09-2014, 08:24 PM
All portable equipment and pedestrians will be removed from lot G south until all vehicles have entered

WTF does that mean? Removed???? That is a poorly worded sentence.

runtheoption
10-09-2014, 08:30 PM

Patrick Simmers
Sr. Associate AD/Team MakersI will be taking a pause while setting up in our reserved lot at 8:00 am to watch this Indy 500 action happen in the 1st come-1st serve lot. Poor SOB's, literally, figuratively, & metaphorically.

El_Chapo
10-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Frisco Cruiser Bus didnt get spot #1 on the aisle at montana game..... the community is in an uproar!!!

StL Bison Fan
10-09-2014, 08:35 PM
I will be taking a pause while setting up in our reserved lot at 8:00 am to watch this Indy 500 action happen in the 1st come-1st serve lot. Poor SOB's, literally, figuratively, & metaphorically.

I think lawn chairs and beverages.

HerdBot
10-09-2014, 08:47 PM
So you can't do a bean bag toss unless it'd in between the spaces? I guarantee some douche bag security guard will interpret it that way even the the intent is to keep vehicles and tents within the lines

StL Bison Fan
10-09-2014, 08:53 PM
So you can't do a bean bag toss unless it'd in between the spaces? I guarantee some douche bag security guard will interpret it that way even the the intent is to keep vehicles and tents within the lines

I'm bringing chalk to make our lines bigger. They won't know. :biggrin:

Apparently someone couldn't drive up and down the aisles 45 minutes before clean up??

EndZoneQB
10-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Insane amounts of people saving spots at the last game. Absolutely embarrassing to those of us that follow the rules and are up there the night before. They are getting this right.

imabison
10-09-2014, 09:29 PM
If you read the actually email that was sent this makes a lot more sense.

It applied to the South G Lot which is not reservation. That is why nothing can be used to save spots.
And like an unattended bag at the airport it gets removed....

Obviously you cannot block the driveways and sidewalks anywhere.

Tatanka
10-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Insane amounts of people saving spots at the last game. Absolutely embarrassing to those of us that follow the rules and are up there the night before. They are getting this right.

+++++
This is the main issue they are correcting. Feedback was heard, considered, and acted upon appropriately. Not a conspiracy, nor anything to get bent about.

MNLonghorn10
10-09-2014, 10:12 PM
I hate new tailgators. Hope they find out the hard way saturday that they just can't send someone out at 7:50 and put some coolers and shit on lots. thatll be funny watching them get the boot.

344Johnson
10-09-2014, 10:19 PM
I hate new tailgators. Hope they find out the hard way saturday that they just can't send someone out at 7:50 and put some coolers and shit on lots. thatll be funny watching them get the boot.

Which is worse.... Oklahoma or new tailgater's?

MNLonghorn10
10-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Which is worse.... Oklahoma or new tailgater's?

new tailgators are probably a 4 on a scale 1-10 for sucking.

the sooners are a 11

sioux city is a 9.5

ames's alcohol in drink ratio on welch street is a 7

Tatanka
10-09-2014, 10:25 PM
new tailgators are probably a 4 on a scale 1-10 for sucking.

the sooners are a 11

sioux city is a 9.5

ames's alcohol in drink ratio on welch street is a 7

I think you have a decimal point error.

StL Bison Fan
10-10-2014, 03:41 AM
I think you have a decimal point error.

Hey! When did west fargo get a White Castle?! Did they close the sonic.
And yes, I just noticed.

CyPanth
10-14-2014, 11:46 PM

Of course, it is awkward when you "beat" someone to a spot they thought they had saved for someone else. Nothing like tailgating next to people who hate you for taking their spot. We have an ongoing battle with a guy for spots (first come, first served in the public lots) in Ames. So far, we are winning, but you could tell last week that his wife was really ticked that we beat him to the spots. I try to be nice, but getting our spots is my first priority on Saturdays.

MNLonghorn10
10-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Of course, it is awkward when you "beat" someone to a spot they thought they had saved for someone else. Nothing like tailgating next to people who hate you for taking their spot. We have an ongoing battle with a guy for spots (first come, first served in the public lots) in Ames. So far, we are winning, but you could tell last week that his wife was really ticked that we beat him to the spots. I try to be nice, but getting our spots is my first priority on Saturdays.

that sucks.. dont give in!

we kinda quit targeting the same spot since its GA and we really dont give a fuck anymore...if you're by our bus, prepare for music, and lots of it.

Bison03
10-15-2014, 06:53 PM

Patrick Simmers

I think this rule is sort of loosly applied in certain situations. On the closest row to the dome, there are many people that extend their tailgate into the grass boulevard next to the spots. I know our group does.:)

StL Bison Fan
10-15-2014, 06:56 PM
So, how did it work out last week? Were there spot savers?
We were setting up our tent out in the aisle and were going to move it in, when a dome guy told us we couldn't put our tent in the aisle. Really?

56BISON73
10-15-2014, 06:57 PM
I think this rule is sort of loosly applied in certain situations. On the closest row to the dome, there are many people that extend their tailgate into the grass boulevard next to the spots. I know our group does.:)

They werent/arent concerned with the grass.

runtheoption
10-15-2014, 07:16 PM
So at 7:58am, I grabbed a plate of egg-bake, and walked over to GA lot to watch the procession since there were no "saved" spots. Effin stupidly dangerous the way people were speeding across the lot. That needs to be controlled better before someone gets hurt.

Stopped at the Frisco Cruiser right after they pulled in, and talked to Longhorn...say what you will about their loud music, but they were by far the safest people coming into the lot. Also, there were people in cars/pickups cutting in front of the Cruiser as the line was moving towards the lot entrance, only because the Cruiser doesn't quite have the get up and go that some cars/pickups have...leave a little gap, and pricks in cars/pick-ups were cutting in front of them. BS move.

MNLonghorn10
10-15-2014, 07:30 PM
It's definitely an unsafe free for all. I feel like I'm in wal mart at black Friday.

I hope you didn't pee yourself again, rto! Haha.

I just don't see why people need to bring their huge pull behind campers into such cramped spaces. Thankfully the cruisers paint job is worth about 70 bucks. No way would I ever park my truck in there

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Answer Guy
10-15-2014, 08:04 PM
Thankfully the cruisers paint job is worth about 70 bucks.

You're seriously overestimating the paint job.

StL Bison Fan
10-15-2014, 08:05 PM

He's counting paint, beer, and labor. Beer being 65.00

MNLonghorn10
10-17-2014, 12:21 AM

hey, pal...just because your double wides paint job is worth at least twice as much as our bus's...doesn't mean you can look down upon it!

56BISON73
10-17-2014, 12:58 AM
So at 7:58am, I grabbed a plate of egg-bake, and walked over to GA lot to watch the procession since there were no "saved" spots. Effin stupidly dangerous the way people were speeding across the lot. That needs to be controlled better before someone gets hurt.

Stopped at the Frisco Cruiser right after they pulled in, and talked to Longhorn...say what you will about their loud music, but they were by far the safest people coming into the lot. Also, there were people in cars/pickups cutting in front of the Cruiser as the line was moving towards the lot entrance, only because the Cruiser doesn't quite have the get up and go that some cars/pickups have...leave a little gap, and pricks in cars/pick-ups were cutting in front of them. BS move.

Believe it or not that shit is happening in the reserved lot.

CyPanth
10-18-2014, 12:36 AM
They werent/arent concerned with the grass in Colorado.

FIFY 10 char

StL Bison Fan
10-18-2014, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by 56BISON73

The grass at the tailgate in CO wasn't on the ground :blush:

perthbison
10-18-2014, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by 56BISON73

The grass at the tailgate in CO wasn't on the ground :blush:What you're saying is the tailgating in Colorado is done on a veryhigh level.

56BISON73
10-18-2014, 02:22 AM
What you're saying is the tailgating in Colorado is done on a veryhigh level.

Rocky MT high baby!!!!!!

runtheoption
04-29-2015, 07:53 PM
REMINDER...if you haven't renewed your reserved tailgating spots, May 1 is the deadline.

Tatanka
04-29-2015, 08:38 PM
REMINDER...if you haven't renewed your reserved tailgating spots, all your spots are belong to us.

Fixed......

runtheoption
04-29-2015, 08:51 PM
Fixed......Your fix reads like a Rev. B0b J0hnson fix.

TransAmBison
04-29-2015, 08:56 PM
Your fix reads like a Rev. B0b J0hnson fix.You forget to pay on time and you may end up with a tattoo...

bisonaudit
05-21-2015, 05:10 PM
Who's got a Flip Top Fargo Dome?

http://thebiglead.com/2015/05/21/this-home-engineered-miller-park-replica-grill-is-so-wisconsin/

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/miller-park-grill.jpg?w=320&h=582

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/miller-park-grill-2.jpg?w=320&h=582

LikeMothers
05-21-2015, 07:33 PM
Who's got a Flip Top Fargo Dome?

I do, and I wish it didn't have the corner supports so I could fit another couple of steaks on there.

CHADSTAUS
09-08-2015, 01:50 AM
To my knowledge, no changes to any tailgating laws for the 2015 season? Grill away!

THEsocalledfan
09-08-2015, 02:12 AM
To my knowledge, no changes to any tailgating laws for the 2015 season? Grill away!

Yep, silly plastic cup rules still in place and when you live in the messed up world called Fargo, you are supposed to be thankful for what we have despite how stupid all the rules are compared to other places.

I love it, but darnit, let's end the stupidness that are the lot nazi's and the plastic cup crap.

imabison
09-08-2015, 02:57 AM
Yep, silly plastic cup rules still in place and when you live in the messed up world called Fargo, you are supposed to be thankful for what we have despite how stupid all the rules are compared to other places.

I love it, but darnit, let's end the stupidness that are the lot nazi's and the plastic cup crap.
Everyone needs to get clear plastic glasses to drive security nuts.

THEsocalledfan
09-08-2015, 03:18 AM

Rep seriously spread on this one as it would show how dumb the rules are. Any other stellar ideas? How about every fat and dumb tailgater dressing up as lot security and see if we can tell them apart? I'd do it since fat and dumb....

StL Bison Fan
09-08-2015, 03:53 AM
Just remember whist in the dome, do not, I repeat, DO NOT break that fake wall of the rail!

BisonAccountant44
09-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Our group exclusively drinks out of Chubs or Turf mugs and we've never so much as gotten a second look from security.

HerdAttack27
09-11-2015, 03:07 AM
What time do the GA'ers plan on getting in line?

tjbison
09-11-2015, 03:12 AM
What time do the GA'ers plan on getting in line?

Better be there at sunrise or before...nice weather it's going to be packed

Mr Meaty
09-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Friday night if you want to be guaranteed a spot. Thank god I have reserved spots. See you at 9:00

MNLonghorn10
09-11-2015, 01:11 PM
8am works good

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

roadwarrior
09-11-2015, 02:14 PM
8am works good

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

So says the guy who is there at 5am

bri-dog
09-11-2015, 02:33 PM
His newborn will be up anyway, might as well take her tailgating and let the wife get some sleep...

MNLonghorn10
09-13-2015, 01:44 AM
I wish there was a way to tell the newbs that think theres parking spots available towards the north end of GA that there isn't shit available...so no need to drive your stupid pull behind camper all the way and then have nothing. we need a flare system saying theres no more spots available. way too many people that needed to drive through our tailgate for this reason.

THEsocalledfan
09-13-2015, 01:50 AM
The tailgating rules are now considering so dumb that Kolpack even publicly criticized them this AM.

Time for change. By the way, let's name names. Let's start publicly shaming those who are forcing this dumb of rules. If they are public officials, lets get after them. As Kolpack said this morning, is this a D1 program or not?

GRAFTONBISON
09-13-2015, 02:10 AM
The tailgating rules are now considering so dumb that Kolpack even publicly criticized them this AM.

Time for change. By the way, let's name names. Let's start publicly shaming those who are forcing this dumb of rules. If they are public officials, lets get after them. As Kolpack said this morning, is this a D1 program or not?

What did I miss?

THEsocalledfan
09-13-2015, 02:22 AM
What did I miss?

Kolpack went off about how crazy it is making all the people wait in line to get in, when most D1 schools let you in the night before. He also mentioned they should "open it up" more certainly sounding to me to be questioning why only the West lot.

I really, really bothers me at how backwards NDSU is, yet we are supposed to be "thankful" for what we have.

PattyBison
09-13-2015, 02:29 AM
What did I miss?

Nothing. TSCF wasn't even here. His day is ruined if he has to drink out of a cup rather than a can.

PattyBison
09-13-2015, 02:31 AM

Oh for god's sake. How about this? You find out their names AND GO TALK TO THEM!!! Understand their point of view, discuss your point of view, try to find a solution acceptable for both parties!

This "publicly shaming" culture is frankly ridiculous. Let's ruin some kid's life because her dad killed a lion with a name. Let's "publicly shame" people who have a different point of view from your own over something as earth shattering as tailgating rules. Good god.

THEsocalledfan
09-13-2015, 02:35 AM
Oh for god's sake. How about this? You find out their names AND GO TALK TO THEM!!! Understand their point of view, discuss your point of view, try to find a solution acceptable for both parties!

This "publicly shaming" culture is frankly ridiculous. Let's ruin some kid's life because her dad killed a lion with a name. Let's "publicly shame" people who have a different point of view from your own over something as earth shattering as tailgating rules. Good god.

Yep, that will work great to me since not a constituent. Publicly shaming to me, is letting folks know who they knuckleheads are so folks can contact them exactly like you say. I suppose you think these rules are "normal?"

PattyBison
09-13-2015, 02:41 AM
Yep, that will work great to me since not a constituent. Publicly shaming to me, is letting folks know who they knuckleheads are so folks can contact them exactly like you say. I suppose you think these rules are "normal?"

Do I agree with all their rules? No. Do I agree with all the rules at other stadiums? No. Do I care enough to talk to anyone about it or complain about it? No. As an adult, I realize I don't need to agree with everything and only fight battles that I feel are worth fighting.

But oh looky, someone disagrees with your public shame crap, and now I am one of the "anti-tailgating establishment." Grow up.

And no, I don't agree with publicly shaming in pretty much most instances, including elected officials. If I don't like them, I exercise my right to vote OR GO TALK TO THEM.

56BISON73
09-13-2015, 02:42 AM
Kolpack went off about how crazy it is making all the people wait in line to get in, when most D1 schools let you in the night before. He also mentioned they should "open it up" more certainly sounding to me to be questioning why only the West lot.

I really, really bothers me at how backwards NDSU is, yet we are supposed to be "thankful" for what we have.

Kolpack need to do some research before he uses the " most D1 schools" card. Many D1 schools do let CERTAIN fans in the night before. They are usually the BIG dollar donors driving a 250k motor home.

THEsocalledfan
09-13-2015, 02:44 AM
Do I agree with all their rules? No. Do I agree with all the rules at other stadiums? No. Do I care enough to talk to anyone about it or complain about it? No. As an adult, I realize I don't need to agree with everything and only fight battles that I feel are worth fighting.

But oh looky, someone disagrees with your public shame crap, and now I am one of the "anti-tailgating establishment." Grow up.

And no, I don't agree with publicly shaming in pretty much most instances, including elected officials. If I don't like them, I exercise my right to vote OR GO TALK TO THEM.

You seem to think public shaming is something very different then me. I want them named so folks know who to talk to. WTF is wrong with that? I don't even know who it is!

PattyBison
09-13-2015, 02:54 AM
You seem to think public shaming is something very different then me. I want them named so folks know who to talk to. WTF is wrong with that? I don't even know who it is!

Yeah, apparently Webster's dictionary and I have a different definition of shame than you do. Have fun.

THEsocalledfan
09-13-2015, 02:58 AM
Yeah, apparently Webster's dictionary and I have a different definition of shame than you do. Have fun.

Well, I think just naming who the knuckleheads are is public shaming. Obviously, you don't.

Bison bison
09-13-2015, 02:58 AM
Why don't you two just shag each other and get it over with?

Vet70
09-13-2015, 03:00 AM

Wouldn't two of those people be the AD and President?

THEsocalledfan
09-13-2015, 03:02 AM
Wouldn't two of those people be the AD and President?

Doubt it, honestly. But folks in the know could easily let us know. El Chapo sent me a message, but am hoping for someone more in the know.

56BISON73
09-13-2015, 03:12 AM
Doubt it, honestly. But folks in the know could easily let us know. El Chapo sent me a message, but am hoping for someone more in the know.

SOooooooo what do you want to know? You looking for someone to bitch to? or somebody to answer questions on tailgating? What?

unbison
09-13-2015, 07:40 AM
SOooooooo what do you want to know? You looking for someone to bitch to? or somebody to answer questions on tailgating? What?

What r u claiming to be in the know��

BYZEN
09-13-2015, 01:20 PM
wouldn't two of those people be the former ad and former president?

fify 😁.....

Vet70
09-13-2015, 01:42 PM
It can't be that hard to find someone "in the know" to complain about tailgating policy---a call to NDSU athletics should take care of it---we aren't exactly dealing with the illuminati or stonecutters here---or are we?

THEsocalledfan
09-13-2015, 03:07 PM

I've been assured by many that seem in the know that the crazy rules are not NDSU's idea, but only to appease a crazy faction of folks who would never allow it without the silly rules. For example, please go back to a previous tailgate discussion when I wondered if NDSU was artificially keeping the tailgate area small to make more money on reserved shots. I was pretty convinced by responses that was not the case, but it was all due to this crazy anti-tailgating faction. I want to know who they are so we can get them to relent by contacting/talking to them. It sounded clear to me the ad's hands were tied..... I want to untie.

It is time for NDSU to make changes when folks are literally going to have to camp out next week to get an unreserved spot, and reserved folks should get in for sure the night before.

imabison
09-13-2015, 08:17 PM
I've been assured by many that seem in the know that the crazy rules are not NDSU's idea, but only to appease a crazy faction of folks who would never allow it without the silly rules. For example, please go back to a previous tailgate discussion when I wondered if NDSU was artificially keeping the tailgate area small to make more money on reserved shots. I was pretty convinced by responses that was not the case, but it was all due to this crazy anti-tailgating faction. I want to know who they are so we can get them to relent by contacting/talking to them. It sounded clear to me the ad's hands were tied..... I want to untie.

It is time for NDSU to make changes when folks are literally going to have to camp out next week to get an unreserved spot, and reserved folks should get in for sure the night before.

So does it make sense that the place to restart the discussion would be the with the new athletic director. It may not be but he would be the new person that might be willing to the new ideas.

56BISON73
09-13-2015, 10:44 PM

So why arent you talkng to the powers that be? What are you going to change with a rant on BV? Oh BTW people have been camping out for a few years now. kind of a non starter dont you think.

StL Bison Fan
09-13-2015, 10:54 PM
Alcohol just seems to bother fargo leaders.
A limit on liquor licenses, a multitude of different types to the point they create new ones for new ideas.
The cosco wanted to build in fargo but went to west fargo because of alcohol sales.
So, its not just the dome.
I would like to see some changes, I would park the bus friday night, i would like my own spots instead of sharing, but I wont die if it never happens. As long as I can drink out of my turf mug, I dont need a bottle or can.

roadwarrior
09-13-2015, 11:21 PM
All of the rules in place doesn't keep me from having an awesome time at tailgating. In fact I don't even think about them.

StL Bison Fan
09-13-2015, 11:42 PM
All of the rules in place doesn't keep me from having an awesome time at tailgating. In fact I don't even think about them.

:judges::judges::judges:
Frankly, I think you have a good time all of the time.

56BISON73
09-14-2015, 12:08 AM

The rules are only a problem if you want them to be. We get to the dome at least an hour early to wait inline to get to our reserved spot. Then I get out and talk to everyone else whos waiting in line. I have yet to hear anyone bitch about the rules. Seems the majority have a really good time.

unbison
09-14-2015, 12:14 AM
Pl a problem you may not have but wouldn't being able to set up the night before be awful nice some mornings.... Just saying

Bison"FANatic"
09-14-2015, 12:20 AM
Pl a problem you may not have but wouldn't being able to set up the night before be awful nice some mornings.... Just saying

And how many other problems and costs does that bring with it.
It is a tailgate not a campground.

NDSUstudent
09-14-2015, 12:26 AM
And how many other problems and costs does that bring with it.
It is a tailgate not a campground.
It is a campground during the Fargo Blues Fest. Was shocked when I drove by and saw the campers there.

That should change and tailgating needs an expansion. Find a grassy area for overflow.

Sent from my A0001

bisonaudit
09-14-2015, 12:27 AM
Alcohol just seems to bother fargo leaders.
A limit on liquor licenses, a multitude of different types to the point they create new ones for new ideas.
The cosco wanted to build in fargo but went to west fargo because of alcohol sales.
So, its not just the dome.
I would like to see some changes, I would park the bus friday night, i would like my own spots instead of sharing, but I wont die if it never happens. As long as I can drink out of my turf mug, I dont need a bottle or can.

the licensing and Costco stuff aren't about anything other than regulatory capture. That's the guys who already have licenses protecting their own interests. The tailgating rules are about teetotalers, lawyers, and public relations.

56BISON73
09-14-2015, 12:59 AM

The only thing we would be doing is dropping off our trailer. I dont know what I would set up friday night because it would all have to go back in the trailer till the am. I certainly wouldnt set up a tent and leave that over night with these ND winds. You might get there in the am and your tent would be in Sioux Falls.

BisonAccountant44
09-14-2015, 01:48 AM
The rules about alcohol at tailgating aren't the problem, the problem is the limited amount of space available. When over 2/3 of the places where you can tailgate are reserved and there is still demand for spots to the point that there are cars lined up for blocks hours beforehand it's time to find more room. Now, that being said, I know just as well as everyone else here that after homecoming anyone will be able to show up at noon and find a space to park in the ga lot, but I don't think allowing tailgating in any dome lot counts as building your church for Easter Sunday when Easter Sunday becomes half of your Sunday's. Maybe move the student line so that it heads east instead of towards the west lot, move the reserved teammaker parking into the east lot, and add more tailgating in the south lot?

Something, anything, needs to be done not to change the rules or policies per se, but to allow for enough room for all of those who want to participate in the current system.

People will still flock to the west lot, but they won't need to camp overnight and everyone can find a home when the west lot does fill up.

EC8CH
09-14-2015, 02:35 AM
The rules about alcohol at tailgating aren't the problem, the problem is the limited amount of space available. When over 2/3 of the places where you can tailgate are reserved there and there is still demand for spots to the point that there are cars lined up for blocks hours beforehand it's time to find more room. Now, that being said, I know just as well as everyone else here that after homecoming anyone will be able to show up at noon and find a space to park in the ga lot, but I don't think allowing tailgating in any dome lot counts as building your church for Easter Sunday when Easter Sunday becomes half of your Sunday's. Maybe move the student line so that it heads east instead of towards the west lot, move the reserved teammaker parking into the east lot, and add more tailgating in the south lot?

Something, anything, needs to be done not to change the rules or policies per se, but to allow for enough room for all of those who want to participate in the current system.

People will still flock to the west lot, but they won't need to camp overnight and everyone can find a home when the west lot does fill up.

Well this makes entirely too much sense.

1998braves64
09-14-2015, 02:44 AM
They blocked off the grassy area to west across 18th St from John Deere building yesterday, that might be a good overflow location and what about the grassy area west of Candlewood?

HerdAttack27
09-16-2015, 01:58 AM
What time can we expect the lineup to begin friday night?

Mr Meaty
09-16-2015, 12:21 PM
6:30 there will be a rv in line according to my sources.

Rockbear99
09-16-2015, 02:15 PM
The only change I would kind of like is the let people that dont have a ticket for the game stay and watch the game in tailgate.

Mr Meaty
09-16-2015, 03:39 PM
The only change I would kind of like is the let people that dont have a ticket for the game stay and watch the game in tailgate.

That would be nice but security would be needed all the time outside. I am not sure how many security (police) stay outside currently during the game.

EC8CH
09-16-2015, 04:41 PM
That would be nice but security would be needed all the time outside. I am not sure how many security (police) stay outside currently during the game.

At Montana we stayed and tailgated after the game. At one point a guy in a truck marked "security" drove up and and guy said he was head of security and thanked us for being the best most well behaved visiting fanbase he's even had the pleasure of working with. He said there were absolutely no issues he had to deal with that day. Then he drove away and we continued to tailgate. True Story.

tjbison
09-16-2015, 04:45 PM
At Montana we stayed and tailgated after the game. At one point a guy in a truck marked "security" drove up and and guy said he was head of security and thanked us for being the best most well behaved visiting fanbase he's even had the pleasure of working with. He said there were absolutely no issues he had to deal with that day. Then he drove away and we continued to tailgate. True Story.

Yes, this is very common...the 1 hour after sucks especially when it's nice out but it also doesn't ever really bother me I usually am ready yo go. I'd rather have an hour longer before and skip the hour after

HerdAttack27
09-16-2015, 11:19 PM
6:30 there will be a rv in line according to my sources.

I have heard 6:30 will not be early enough for Friday.

Mr Meaty
09-16-2015, 11:29 PM
Wow, I have a reserved spot so I will be there at 9:00 AM Saturday. Suckers

MNLonghorn10
09-16-2015, 11:57 PM

how much do you need to donate though? itll cost us 300 bucks for 10 spots and 6 games all season. Sucker.

MNLonghorn10
09-16-2015, 11:59 PM
I have heard 6:30 will not be early enough for Friday.

well considering you have no idea what you're even talking about.

Mr Meaty
09-17-2015, 12:46 AM
how much do you need to donate though? itll cost us 300 bucks for 10 spots and 6 games all season. Sucker.

We have 4 spots for all year. It is only money.

sambini
09-17-2015, 03:02 AM
I like the reserved spots and raise a little money for Team Makers.

No_Skill
09-17-2015, 03:10 AM

Plus you can get to know your neighbors.

BisonAccountant44
09-17-2015, 03:37 AM
My only real problem with the reserved spots, other than that I don't have one, are that they are the vast majority of spots which creates the need need for the huge lines to get into ga.

bisonaudit
09-17-2015, 10:20 AM
My only real problem with the reserved spots, other than that I don't have one, are that they are the vast majority of spots which creates the need need for the huge lines to get into ga.

So, just like game tickets then?

tjbison
09-17-2015, 12:27 PM

Ditto...I'll get there about 9:15 and drive right in...it's good being k...

:)

tjbison
09-17-2015, 12:29 PM

The set up ndsu uses for tailgating will create huge lines no matter what, before lot g went reserved you still had to sit in line, has nothing to do with reserved, in fact in makes the ga line shorter as everyone with reserved has a different entrance point

pwbnd
09-17-2015, 02:01 PM

Except, unlike game tickets, NDSU (or whoever gets the parking money from the GA lot where alcohol is allowed, teammakers?) is leaving money on the table by not increasing admission prices to that lot. I may be in the minority here, but I'd like to see them raise the price per spot (say up to 10 or 15 bucks) in that GA lot, at least for the early season games when demand is high. Would reduce the number of people who just park their extra cars there, increase the density of actual tailgating activities, and raise more money for scholarships.

That or open more lots to allow alcohol, again, at least for the early season games when tailgating is at it's peak.

BisonAccountant44
09-17-2015, 02:23 PM

Except that I have game tickets so that's not a problem for me.

Herd Mentality
09-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Except, unlike game tickets, NDSU (or whoever gets the parking money from the GA lot where alcohol is allowed, teammakers?) is leaving money on the table by not increasing admission prices to that lot. I may be in the minority here, but I'd like to see them raise the price per spot (say up to 10 or 15 bucks) in that GA lot, at least for the early season games when demand is high. Would reduce the number of people who just park their extra cars there, increase the density of actual tailgating activities, and raise more money for scholarships.

That or open more lots to allow alcohol, again, at least for the early season games when tailgating is at it's peak.

My understanding is that they weren't allowing cars to go from reserved to GA last week (people expecting to just pay extra to park their car over there).

Time to swap the tailgate lot to the other side of the dome anyway IMHO.

Mr Meaty
09-17-2015, 03:58 PM
My understanding is that they weren't allowing cars to go from reserved to GA last week (people expecting to just pay extra to park their car over there).

That would not be a bad idea. Thinking outside the box. More should do that.

Bison Loaf
09-17-2015, 04:03 PM

That would not be a bad idea. Thinking outside the box. More should do that.

I very much doubt that would happen. Then you would have a packed lot of tailgaters (and many walking in and out) adjacent to 2 busy streets (19th AND University) instead of adjacent to 1 busy street now (19th).

BisonAccountant44
09-17-2015, 04:28 PM

It should've always been in the front of the dome. Loaf's 2 busy streets is the only semi-decent reason I've ever heard for why it's not on that side by now anyway. Putting it in the West lot to me has always made it seem like someone was trying to hide tailgating by putting it near the back door instead of highlighting it by the main entrance.

Herd Mentality
09-17-2015, 04:50 PM
I very much doubt that would happen. Then you would have a packed lot of tailgaters (and many walking in and out) adjacent to 2 busy streets (19th AND University) instead of adjacent to 1 busy street now (19th).

I'm not sure this argument holds water...anyone crossing University is already crossing it somewhere. Then again I've always wanted a Team Shop in the "new BSA" that would be right across from where the tailgating occurs. I think that huge, open, connected lot would be a really cool experience walking around.

Bison Loaf
09-17-2015, 05:54 PM
It should've always been in the front of the dome. Loaf's 2 busy streets is the only semi-decent reason I've ever heard for why it's not on that side by now anyway. Putting it in the West lot to me has always made it seem like someone was trying to hide tailgating by putting it near the back door instead of highlighting it by the main entrance.

That's the beauty of it! It's like most people's homes. All the guests come in the front door, but THE PEOPLE THAT LIVE THERE all come in through the side door, backdoor or garage door (my apologies to UNI)! :)

Well, there's that.................AND my seats are on the west side. :innocent:

tjbison
09-17-2015, 05:59 PM
What's wrong with tailgating on the west?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SDbison
09-17-2015, 06:32 PM
How about getting rid of the street that runs next to the west side of the dome, remove the grass birm and make some (more) parking lot entrances on the north and south side of the west lots? This would allow the addition of 100 to 200 parking spots.

BISON Thunder
09-17-2015, 07:05 PM
I agree...but wish the tailgating experience would be expanded. I believe the cost of expanding the tailgating hours would be paid for times over (more scholly dollars) if the powers would allow overnight parking, charging a fee for coming into the lot the night before a game and another fee if someone wanted to stay overnight the night of the game.

Bison"FANatic"
09-17-2015, 07:45 PM
If they did allow overnights, could you imagine how good it would smell with all the long slow smokers going all in one place like that.

SDbison
09-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Don't anybody hold your breath for those in charge at NDSU to allow changes to tailgating. All this stuff baffles their little brains and loosens their choke hold on this big deal in Fargo. Is it really too difficult to expand tailgate hours or increase the area for tailgating? Reducing the currently excessive amount security per 100 fans would mean no additional security required to increase hours and area. Then make more reserved spots available which will increase revenue. This isn't rocket science.

Bison Loaf
09-17-2015, 08:07 PM
Nobody take this the wrong way, because our tailgating is a great atmosphere and still much, much larger and more sustainable on an overall weekly basis than when I first started 30 years ago, but..................there still is a very noticeable difference in participation from the warm sunny days of September to the chilly days of October to the much colder days of November and December.

I'm guessing NDSU is trying to gauge SUSTAINED demand in the west lot before looking at doing anything additional.

BisonNation11
09-17-2015, 08:10 PM
Nobody take this the wrong way, because our tailgating is a great atmosphere and still much, much larger and more sustainable on an overall weekly basis than when I first started 30 years ago, but..................there still is a very noticeable difference in participation from the warm sunny days of September to the chilly days of October to the much colder days of November and December.

I'm guessing NDSU is trying to gauge SUSTAINED demand in the west lot before looking at doing anything additional.

I agree with this, but they've seen for at least a couple of years now that early tailgates and homecoming are going to be huge and should start accommodating accordingly. There's money out there to be made for very minimal effort.

Mr Meaty
09-17-2015, 09:08 PM

Quit trying to be logical on Bisonville. This is not place for thinking like that. (PS I do agree we need more room and East side would provide that). Just do it and not think about it.

roadwarrior
09-17-2015, 09:25 PM
The tailgating rules weren't put in place by NDSU only. If you look at the bottom of the published rules, there is the FARGO POLICE DEPT's signature. I think that might be the biggest hurdle to make any major changes.

bisonaudit
09-17-2015, 09:45 PM

How is that not like game tickets? They all sold for every game in like a hour or whatever, and renewal rates for season tickets are absurdly high. Clearly, they are leaving ticket money on the table too.

pwbnd
09-17-2015, 10:12 PM
The cost of admission to the tailgating lots remains the same regardless of demand. The price for "high demand" game tickets (UND and homecoming this year) is higher than the rest of the games. All I'm saying is they should raise the price when the demand is there.

56BISON73
09-17-2015, 10:36 PM
The cost of admission to the tailgating lots remains the same regardless of demand. The price for "high demand" game tickets (UND and homecoming this year) is higher than the rest of the games. All I'm saying is they should raise the price when the demand is there.

If you really look at season ticket pricing they only raised the whole package what... 10 to 20 dollars. Spread that over 6 games. The only people who really see the difference are those thar buy single game tickets.

What I do agree with is the raising of ga parking. 5 bucks is rediculously cheap.

Trumpster
09-17-2015, 10:40 PM
Question: If we had 2 vehicles that we were parking overnight in line do we need at least 1 person in each vehicle or could we have both in one of said vehicles and none in the other?

bisonaudit
09-17-2015, 10:42 PM
Question: If we had 2 vehicles that we were parking overnight in line do we need at least 1 person in each vehicle or could we have both in one of said vehicles and none in the other?

I know a couple of state reps from MN who'd be willing to hold down that second vehicle for you.

imabison
09-18-2015, 12:07 AM
WDAY said today Fargo police and NDSU officials request you stay with your vehicle. Means 2 vehicles 2 people.

Also they said by next year they will decide if they will stop people from lining up early, WTF do they want cars driving around the block to jockey for positions when the appointed time arrives. Then its bumper car to get in line

MAKBison
09-18-2015, 12:10 AM
The tailgating rules weren't put in place by NDSU only. If you look at the bottom of the published rules, there is the FARGO POLICE DEPT's signature. I think that might be the biggest hurdle to make any major changes.

Well if certain person gets to be the top dog, I think it would be good for SU. Can you say NDSU wrestling

bisonaudit
09-18-2015, 12:13 AM
WDAY said today Fargo police and NDSU officials request you stay with your vehicle. Means 2 vehicles 2 people.

Also they said by next year they will decide if they will stop people from lining up early, WTF do they want cars driving around the block to jockey for positions when the appointed time arrives. Then its bumper car to get in line

The whole idea of having to line up your cars and wait to get access to a PARKING lot just boggles the mind.

MNLonghorn10
09-18-2015, 12:15 AM

theyre going to have to let people in at night. cut the small time bullshit on people showing up at X time. Its big enough were people parking at their spots, and setting up is the next step.

cuts a lot of the stress/line/whatever the morning of the tailgate.

tjbison
09-18-2015, 12:23 AM
so let me get this straight now they are trying to limit the time people can come and line up for an already stupid restriction?? I have reserved so it wont really matter but that BS for the people who dont have reserved...whats next the Students cant line up at the door....they are just going to drive people away...period negating everything that has grown when you have a first come first serve how can you NOT have a lineup??

im sorry but thats dumb....unless im misunderstanding

pwbnd
09-18-2015, 12:59 AM
With the close geographic proximity of this weekend's opponent, it's absurd that adjustments aren't being made to accommodate what could potentially be the biggest tailgate ever. While I'm aware that fans of that university in Grand Forks don't have the following or tailgating scene that NDSU does, I fully expect that their fans will occupy a portion...possibly a significant portion of the GA lot on Saturday.

Demand for tailgating spots (that allow for alcohol to be consumed) will exceed supply, likely by a long shot, this Saturday. The lack of foresight (failure to even temporarily increase the supply for this weekend) is going to alienate fans/tailgaters who are denied access, which is unfortunate. The athletics department should be bending over backwards to make tailgating as accessible and inclusive as possible. This is how new and potentially life long fans are made.

MAKBison
09-18-2015, 01:21 AM
With the close geographic proximity of this weekend's opponent, it's absurd that adjustments aren't being made to accommodate what could potentially be the biggest tailgate ever. While I'm aware that fans of that university in Grand Forks don't have the following or tailgating scene that NDSU does, I fully expect that their fans will occupy a portion...possibly a significant portion of the GA lot on Saturday.

Demand for tailgating spots (that allow for alcohol to be consumed) will exceed supply, likely by a long shot, this Saturday. The lack of foresight (failure to even temporarily increase the supply for this weekend) is going to alienate fans/tailgaters who are denied access, which is unfortunate. The athletics department should be bending over backwards to make tailgating as accessible and inclusive as possible. This is how new and potentially life long fans are made.

Maybe NDSU does not want to see a bunch of folks from up north joing us...just a thought

Bisonguy
09-18-2015, 01:46 AM
They should have GA open 10 hours before kickoff, but you cannot line up and they only allow one vehicle in at a time once the GSMB stops playing On Bison. A tailgating version of musical chairs if you will. The FPD, of course, would be out in full force for any traffic violations for the vehicles circling the Fargodome.

pwbnd
09-18-2015, 01:53 AM
Maybe NDSU does not want to see a bunch of folks from up north joing us...just a thought

That's a great plan, as long as all the UND fans wait until 8:00 to get in line.

EC8CH
09-18-2015, 01:56 AM
What's next??? They going to start kicking us out of the online waiting room?!

NorthernBison
09-18-2015, 02:08 AM
The reserved part of G lot had quite a few empty spots last week.

There are like 10 spaces SW of us that were empty about 7 of the 9 games last season. They were bare last week too.

tjbison
09-18-2015, 02:22 AM
The reserved part of G lot had quite a few empty spots last week.

There are like 10 spaces SW of us that were empty about 7 of the 9 games last season. They were bare last week too.

Yeah, I will say there are lots of farmers in G and several I know we're staying on the beans but were coming this week regardless....they decided to skip weber for und...I bet it's full this week

Bison bison
09-18-2015, 01:06 PM
If they did allow overnights, could you imagine how good it would smell with all the long slow smokers going all in one place like that.

Like cigarette butts?

NorthernBison
09-21-2015, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I will say there are lots of farmers in G and several I know we're staying on the beans but were coming this week regardless....they decided to skip weber for und...I bet it's full this week
Those same 10 spots in the rows West of us were wide open again. I'm pretty sure they are corporate and used once a season. If that. I've only seen them occupied once that I remember.

tjbison
09-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Those same 10 spots in the rows West of us were wide open again. I'm pretty sure they are corporate and used once a season. If that. I've only seen them occupied once that I remember.

start moving in!!!

MNLonghorn10
09-21-2015, 12:47 PM
i cant wait for the day when we see more rigs/buses/trailers, and less RV's and pull behind campers. Can KOA open up a campground for those guys next door and open up some space? Do they even tailgate in those things or use them as an excuse to sleep on the side of the road? i dont see the point of bringing in your 300,000 rv or 200,000 pull behind...anybody? I know its a free country so spare me that

tjbison
09-21-2015, 12:49 PM
i cant wait for the day when we see more rigs/buses/trailers, and less RV's and pull behind campers. Can KOA open up a campground for those guys next door and open up some space? Do they even tailgate in those things or use them as an excuse to sleep on the side of the road? i dont see the point of bringing in your 300,000 rv or 200,000 pull behind...anybody? I know its a free country so spare me that

bathroom.....and heat a/c is about the only thing i can see as an advantage

pwbnd
09-21-2015, 04:49 PM
I wasn't able to circulate around too much on Saturday, but does anybody know if any tailgaters relegated to the east side once the west lots were full? If so, were there any issues?

We waited in line just under 15 hours. I estimated we were about 75-80th in line.

I really hope somebody smarter than me figures out a better way to handle the GA lot...and soon.

Bison bison
09-21-2015, 06:13 PM
We'll even a dumbass should figure out that they should either expand/charge more.

Herd Mentality
09-21-2015, 06:28 PM
I think the line for reserved is getting ridiculous.

Fix that, and then let's finally move to a single rule for drinks in the lot (no glass). I'm sick of this cup thing and the trash it generates.

ndsubison1
09-21-2015, 06:30 PM
They need to have an overflow lot. Especially for September through homecoming. One of those grassy lots west somewhere. Bigger schools have tailgating lots all over and they don't necessarily need to be next to each other. Charging more would be another revenue opportunity.

td577
09-21-2015, 06:55 PM
I was walking through the far west lot before the game and had a couple of observations. They need to number that lot and assign spots as they pay. Extremely inefficient parking of rigs. I don't have a problem with whatever kind of rig someone wants to tailgate with, but there are guidelines as to how they are to utilize space. It wasn't being used properly and more people could be engaging in tailgating if they numbered the parking spots, had them preset by rig type, and assigned them as people paid. While I do think the ultimate solution is to have the unreserved portion sold online on Tuesday, which would avoid the lines. I know they want the unreserved part so people have the opportunity to participate on a week by week basis, but they could make it happen earlier in the week with an online arrangement just like ticket sales.

NDSU could be making a killing with premium spots with outlets on their grassy lots between the research buildings. A surcharge for plugging in so no need for generators and painted off spots.

Lastly, I have been kicking around an idea and figured I would introduce it to BV to see if people here would think there would be interest. This would extend earlier than football games and there is need here, so I am not worried about it being just a 4 to 6 weekend a year proposal. Would people be interested in a campground where there would be live music on Friday and Saturday night, shuttles to the game on Saturday, and a full on party like atmosphere over a Bison home game weekend? There are some locations within 15 minutes of the dome which would be perfect for this that are still remote enough to not bother private homes. Basically a weekend long offsite tailgating experience with full campground amenities and transportation to and from the game.

imabison
09-21-2015, 07:33 PM
All the spots are numbered in the far west lots. At least the NNW lot is numbered and I was thinking the SSW was also but I may be wrong.

56BISON73
09-21-2015, 07:58 PM
I wasn't able to circulate around too much on Saturday, but does anybody know if any tailgaters relegated to the east side once the west lots were full? If so, were there any issues?

We waited in line just under 15 hours. I estimated we were about 75-80th in line.

I really hope somebody smarter than me figures out a better way to handle the GA lot...and soon.

Teammakers has heard EVERY possible idea imaginable when it comes to damn near everything. They had ideas and proposals on how to change the GA parking etc etc .
When the new AD was hired they had like 3 months to go over 10 months of information to get the AD up to speed on EVERYTHING within the athletic dept etc etc etc. Because of those constraints the tailgate ideas-proposals never made it to the table for discussion. There were bigger fish to fry.

I would not look for any changes this year.

Even with the huge crowd this past weekend it sounds as though everyone got a spot somewhere. So the sky is not falling as some were espousing.

pwbnd
09-21-2015, 09:26 PM
All the spots are numbered in the far west lots. At least the NNW lot is numbered and I was thinking the SSW was also but I may be wrong.

I'm 99% sure the spots in the SW (GA) lot are not numbered.

pwbnd
09-21-2015, 09:41 PM
Even with the huge crowd this past weekend it sounds as though everyone got a spot somewhere.

I guess that's kinda my question. Where did everyone go? Did everyone fit in the SW GA lot? Like I said before, I didn't get a chance to wander too far from our setup on Saturday, so I didn't get much of a feel for where the "overflow" went...or if there even ended up being "overflow."

If there was an overflow lot, does anyone know if those who setup there were able to enjoy an adult beverage without fear of reprisal?

If there was a good crowd in the east lots our group will strongly consider skipping the line-up fiasco for homecoming and just roll in around 8:00 a.m. I'd prefer not making sleeping in our tailgating rig on Friday night before the game a regular occurrence. :)

AKBison
09-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Bump for answer...

I guess that's kinda my question. Where did everyone go? Did everyone fit in the SW GA lot? Like I said before, I didn't get a chance to wander too far from our setup on Saturday, so I didn't get much of a feel for where the "overflow" went...or if there even ended up being "overflow."

If there was an overflow lot, does anyone know if those who setup there were able to enjoy an adult beverage without fear of reprisal?

If there was a good crowd in the east lots our group will strongly consider skipping the line-up fiasco for homecoming and just roll in around 8:00 a.m. I'd prefer not making sleeping in our tailgating rig on Friday night before the game a regular occurrence. :)

No_Skill
09-21-2015, 11:26 PM
I wonder how many people had their first taste of tailgating this past weekend. The foot traffic seemed busier than I have ever seen it and we are in the far west row which is usually not too crowded.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 01:05 AM
I barely got in the west lot GA, and only due to excellent ushering and I lost 1 hour of tailgate time.

I saw numerous folks, gasp, tailgating in non approved areas. Crazy part is world did not end. (South of West lot, and on east side). Folks are not going to follow the rules when currently unreasonable. I fully planned to break the rules if I did not get in.

PL, you'd think am overflow lot would be an obvious solution until better decisions can be made. For the record, I would have followed ask rules other than location if I bent them. I just can't wrap my mind around this.

56BISON73
09-22-2015, 01:12 AM

I know some were directed to the east lot. If they enjoyed an adult beverage they certainly didnt have permission. :biggrin:

56BISON73
09-22-2015, 01:21 AM
I barely got in the west lot GA, and only due to excellent ushering and I lost 1 hour of tailgate time.

I saw numerous folks, gasp, tailgating in non approved areas. Crazy part is world did not end. (South of West lot, and on east side). Folks are not going to follow the rules when currently unreasonable. I fully planned to break the rules if I did not get in.

PL, you'd think am overflow lot would be an obvious solution until better decisions can be made. For the record, I would have followed ask rules other than location if I bent them. I just can't wrap my mind around this.

Right now they dont have a process to or permission to inform people they can no longer park in the lots they have permits for to make an over flow lot. You would know as well as anybody NOBODY can make a unilateral decision to commandeer parking lots because people have to wait in line. Actually they dont have to. Thats a choice.

You are blowing this way out of proportion and getting yourself all worked up over---well nothing..

1998braves64
09-22-2015, 01:56 AM
You can "tailgate" in the east lot, just technically are not to drink adult beverages (but if they're in a plastic cup who's going to know for sure?).

56BISON73
09-22-2015, 02:03 AM
You can "tailgate" in the east lot, just technically are not to drink adult beverages (but if they're in a plastic cup who's going to know for sure?).

Be low key is all people have to do if they are in the east lot.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 02:45 AM
Right now they dont have a process to or permission to inform people they can no longer park in the lots they have permits for to make an over flow lot. You would know as well as anybody NOBODY can make a unilateral decision to commandeer parking lots because people have to wait in line. Actually they dont have to. Thats a choice.

You are blowing this way out of proportion and getting yourself all worked up over---well nothing..

It is just so different than anywhere else I go. Glad you agree it is okay to break the rules if l low key. That was my plan.

56BISON73
09-22-2015, 03:27 AM
It is just so different than anywhere else I go. Glad you agree it is okay to break the rules if l low key. That was my plan.

It wasnt an agreement in as much as a suggestion.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 03:51 AM
It wasnt an agreement in as much as a suggestion.

By the way, it IS a big deal. It is really not right to make people literally camp out overnight just to get a spot, when they could easily prevent that with enough supply or raising the rates. There seems to be some kind of fundamental disconnect there.

56BISON73
09-22-2015, 04:28 AM
By the way, it IS a big deal. It is really not right to make people literally camp out overnight just to get a spot, when they could easily prevent that with enough supply or raising the rates. There seems to be some kind of fundamental disconnect there.

Yep. You just dont understand. They arent making anyone camp out. This all stated with those that wanted to be first in line etc etc. The ga crowd has actually created this problem. May be NDSU should just say no lines the lot opens at this time. Dont show up before that?
Even with the huge crowd this past week everyone had a place to park. So whats the big deal?

If you ga people want change why not you folks request that the ga lot be turned in to a reserved lot. Show TM you will pony up the money like the other reserved folks.

1998braves64
09-22-2015, 04:53 AM
If you raise the rates too far you stunt the growth if there was no weeping and gnashing of teeth because there were no spots left for UN_ why expand it yet? Obviously they played up the tailgating line Friday night, and everyone jumped the gun. Not sure why the wringing of hands over a somewhat nonexistent problem. Seems everyone got what they wanted except sleep??
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

56BISON73
09-22-2015, 04:55 AM
If you raise the rates too far you stunt the growth if there was no weeping and gnashing of teeth because there were no spots left for UN_ why expand it yet? Obviously they played up the tailgating line Friday night, and everyone jumped the gun. Not sure why the wringing of hands over a somewhat nonexistent problem. Seems everyone got what they wanted except sleep??
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

We have a winner!!!!!!

As far as raising rates people said the same thing when the reserved lot first started. Its a sellout now and people cant get in and they have raised the rates from 75.00 a spot to 120.00 I think. IF people dont want to pay the price they may have to park further from the dome. Thats the way it works most places.

Raise the rates in the ga lot and you wont have groups taking up a huge amount of spaces which will allow more people to park there.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 12:36 PM
We have a winner!!!!!!

As far as raising rates people said the same thing when the reserved lot first started. Its a sellout now and people cant get in and they have raised the rates from 75.00 a spot to 120.00 I think. IF people dont want to pay the price they may have to park further from the dome. Thats the way it works most places.

Raise the rates in the ga lot and you wont have groups taking up a huge amount of spaces which will allow more people to park there.

So, just so I understand, NDSU is doing this exactly how everyone should be doing this, and no room for improvement? Just want to make sure I understand.

NorthernBison
09-22-2015, 12:49 PM
So, just so I understand, NDSU is doing this exactly how everyone should be doing this, and no room for improvement? Just want to make sure I understand.
It's not entirely up to NDSU. FPD is a partner in the security portion of this. That's a big reason why opening up additional lots hasn't gotten a lot of traction. Not having enough room is a minor issue for a couple games per year. Somebody said sell the South half of the West lot as reserved too. That's an option that quite a few people would like and many would really hate. I do like the idea of numbering that lot and selling the spots online every week. Print out your receipt and show up when the lots open.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 12:57 PM
It's not entirely up to NDSU. FPD is a partner in the security portion of this. That's a big reason why opening up additional lots hasn't gotten a lot of traction. Not having enough room is a minor issue for a couple games per year. Somebody said sell the South half of the West lot as reserved too. That's an option that quite a few people would like and many would really hate. I do like the idea of numbering that lot and selling the spots online every week. Print out your receipt and show up when the lots open.

I completely agree. I admit I was being a little sarcastic. I love the great information PL provides. He is connected is accurate in what he states even if I usually disagree with the policy. However, it does seem to me there is a disconnect of how bad it has gotten for GA tailgating. I FULLY support raising rates and maybe making the entire West lot reserved. However, you need to have some GA tailgating further out if you do that or it is a pretty rough way to treat loyal fans. And NOT everybody did get in last week. If they wanted to set up a tailgate, they had to break the rules. I think that is a bad way to treat people who are loyal fans, and maybe even donors which is why I disagree so passionately about this.

I hear that all of this is choice, etc, but like others state, you need to keep growing this beast. That will also help keep the lot full on those cold days later in the year. Also, I have very much tried to get reserved spots, and I am sure many others did as well, and we can't get them.

pwbnd
09-22-2015, 01:29 PM
[/B]If you ga people want change why not you folks request that the ga lot be turned in to a reserved lot. Show TM you will pony up the money like the other reserved folks.

Our group has 5 teamakers in it (2 @30+ years and 3 @ 5+ years). We may not be the highest level donors, but we've made investments in the program for sure. We have spoken directly with several members of teammakers leadership on three occasions in the past two years asking about the possibility of increasing the supply of reserved spots. To their credit, their response has been pretty consistent each time...(and I'm paraphrasing here) we have to leave some spots GA so there's room for visiting teams fans and the occasional tailgater.

Since that seems to be their consistent stance, our suggestion has been (DURING TIMES WHEN DEMAND IS HIGH) to: A) raise the price of GA spots to reduce demand (waste), B) increase the supply of spots that allow tailgating with alcohol, or C) both. Unfortunately our suggestions seem to fall on deaf ears each time.

It's easy for those with reserved spots to say this is no big deal...no one is making us get in line. I respectfully disagree on both points. If we don't get in line early, our choice is either risk not being able to tailgate or break the rules and risk being kicked out and losing access to an event we care about very much....not much of a choice.

I can't get over the feeling that GA tailgaters are being treated as second class citizens. Many of us are teammakers, alumni, and former athletes who have made significant investments in both our tailgating setups and the NDSU athletics programs. From where we sit, it appears that there are relatively simple solutions out there that would alleviate many of our concerns (during times where demand exceeds supply), but the powers that be seem content to maintain the status quo. Therein lies our frustration.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Our group has 5 teamakers in it (2 @30+ years and 3 @ 5+ years). We may not be the highest level donors, but we've made investments in the program for sure. We have spoken directly with several members of teammakers leadership on three occasions in the past two years asking about the possibility of increasing the supply of reserved spots. To their credit, their response has been pretty consistent each time...(and I'm paraphrasing here) we have to leave some spots GA so there's room for visiting teams fans and the occasional tailgater.

Since that seems to be their consistent stance, our suggestion has been (DURING TIMES WHEN DEMAND IS HIGH) to: A) raise the price of GA spots to reduce demand (waste), B) increase the supply of spots that allow tailgating with alcohol, or C) both. Unfortunately our suggestions seem to fall on deaf ears each time.

It's easy for those with reserved spots to say this is no big deal...no one is making us get in line. I respectfully disagree on both points. If we don't get in line early, our choice is either risk not being able to tailgate or break the rules and risk being kicked out and losing access to an event we care about very much....not much of a choice.

I can't get over the feeling that GA tailgaters are being treated as second class citizens. Many of us are teammakers, alumni, and former athletes who have made significant investments in both our tailgating setups and the NDSU athletics programs. From where we sit, it appears that there are relatively simple solutions out there that would alleviate many of our concerns (during times where demand exceeds supply), but the powers that be seem content to maintain the status quo. Therein lies our frustration.

I could never have stated it this eloquently. Reps to you.

SDbison
09-22-2015, 01:55 PM

I can't get over the feeling that GA tailgaters are being treated as second class citizens. Many of us are teammakers, alumni, and former athletes who have made significant investments in both our tailgating setups and the NDSU athletics programs. From where we sit, it appears that there are relatively simple solutions out there that would alleviate many of our concerns (during times where demand exceeds supply), but the powers that be seem content to maintain the status quo. Therein lies our frustration. Face it, NDSU doesn't care about you or this situation. Time for people to drop their donations and when NDSU finally starts asking why tell them. The idiots in charge don't give a crap because they have all the perks.

NorthernBison
09-22-2015, 01:56 PM

Our group used to line up early when the entire West lot was GA. We put in for reserved spots when they implemented that on the North half. I'm surprised you didn't get reserved spots with over 30 years of Team Maker Membership. Right now, Team Makers gets ZERO from the GA part of the lot as the $5 goes to the Fargodome. Increasing this to $10 or $15 would be reasonable IMO. I really don't know the logistics or cost of opening up additional areas. I do know that, in the event that ever was done, ONE incident would kill it for a very long time. As it stands now, there's a track record that gives some room if there was ever a problem.

bisonaudit
09-22-2015, 02:21 PM
Our group used to line up early when the entire West lot was GA. We put in for reserved spots when they implemented that on the North half. I'm surprised you didn't get reserved spots with over 30 years of Team Maker Membership. Right now, Team Makers gets ZERO from the GA part of the lot as the $5 goes to the Fargodome. Increasing this to $10 or $15 would be reasonable IMO. I really don't know the logistics or cost of opening up additional areas. I do know that, in the event that ever was done, ONE incident would kill it for a very long time. As it stands now, there's a track record that gives some room if there was ever a problem.

I don't understand this, at all. They have a track record today that will protect them as long as there isn't 10% more reserved tailgating. But the second Teammakers gets another marginal dollar that all goes out the window? Are we talking about more tailgating or a larger reserved tailgating section or both? In any case I'm not sure why all the goodwill would go out the window the second there's an expansion? Seems to me that in the event there's ever an issue the nanny's will either get their way or they won't.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 02:30 PM
I don't understand this, at all. They have a track record today that will protect them as long as there isn't 10% more reserved tailgating. But the second Teammakers gets another marginal dollar that all goes out the window? Are we talking about more tailgating or a larger reserved tailgating section or both? In any case I'm not sure why all the goodwill would go out the window the second there's an expansion? Seems to me that in the event there's ever an issue the nanny's will either get their way or they won't.

And, to pile on, this is why I would like to hear publicly, who these people are who must think this way. If they a elected officials, they need to held to account for their actions if they cannot be convinced of the error of their ways.

pwbnd
09-22-2015, 02:42 PM
I'm surprised you didn't get reserved spots with over 30 years of Team Maker Membership. Right

We were too. I know for sure that at least one of our 30ish year teammakers put in when they opened up the north half for reserved. I don't know what his level of support has been over those years, but it's been consistent. I also put in, but have only been a teammaker for 6 years (and I'm far from a high roller!). I wasn't at all surprised that I didn't make the cut.

NorthernBison
09-22-2015, 02:48 PM
I was referring to the idea of a totally separate lot opened up for tailgating with ETOH. That's one of the suggestions I've heard thrown around. Past history would be hard to apply to that lot. The current setup is still kept on a pretty tight leash but the track record is good. I don't see the need for a new lot for all 6 games as we don't typically fill for the later games now. But, any new lot would have to develop it's own track record for no problems and the first games would be critical.

Bison"FANatic"
09-22-2015, 03:00 PM
The idiots in charge don't give a crap because they have all the perks.

Now come on this just isn't true. NDSU has managed the growth of the last 5 years tremendously well. Can things change, sure and they will but they have taken a measured approach to everything from tickets to tailgaiting. Just think back to what the gameday experience was a short 4 years ago. If you want to start pulling donations hell go for it but it will not be the NDSU administration that will be seen as the idiot if you do.

bisonaudit
09-22-2015, 03:07 PM
I was referring to the idea of a totally separate lot opened up for tailgating with ETOH. That's one of the suggestions I've heard thrown around. Past history would be hard to apply to that lot. The current setup is still kept on a pretty tight leash but the track record is good. I don't see the need for a new lot for all 6 games as we don't typically fill for the later games now. But, any new lot would have to develop it's own track record for no problems and the first games would be critical.

It's weird to me that when it comes to drinking inside the FargoDome there was this huge equity issue. But outside the FargoDome apparently the decision makers are quite comfortable discriminating against some people.

SDbison
09-22-2015, 03:14 PM
Now come on this just isn't true. NDSU has managed the growth of the last 5 years tremendously well. Can things change, sure and they will but they have taken a measured approach to everything from tickets to tailgaiting. Just think back to what the gameday experience was a short 4 years ago. If you want to start pulling donations hell go for it but it will not be the NDSU administration that will be seen as the idiot if you do. People can do what they feel is necessary. The rationale for a "measured approach" is ridiculous and baseless. Just because you want to side with the "idiots" go right ahead and stick your head in the sand. This issue won't go away.

Bison"FANatic"
09-22-2015, 03:20 PM
This issue won't go away.

Actually if you look at the history these issues will be gone in about 45 days when the high temp is in the 40's not the 80's.

NorthernBison
09-22-2015, 03:28 PM
It's weird to me that when it comes to drinking inside the FargoDome there was this huge equity issue. But outside the FargoDome apparently the decision makers are quite comfortable discriminating against some people.

Don't believe everything you read. I don't think there was any widespread support for it throughout the Dome.

I think plenty of people wouldn't care if it was in the suites.

As for outside, there's no discrimination. Anybody of age can consume in the West lots.

bisonaudit
09-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Don't believe everything you read. I don't think there was any widespread support for it throughout the Dome.

I think plenty of people wouldn't care if it was in the suites.

As for outside, there's no discrimination. Anybody of age can consume in the West lots.

And yet, somehow, that perception managed to kill (or at least delay) the legal availability of alcohol anywhere inside the facility during a football game.

So outside they're only discriminating against people who want to grill their own hamburgers?

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 03:50 PM
I don't see the need for a new lot for all 6 games as we don't typically fill for the later games now.

But where are they supposed to go when they fill up? You will have another disaster (yes, it WAS a mess) on Oct. 10; just glad I have a confirmation I am going to. Folks will break rules that they deem dumb and this started for the first time and will only grow. You can have control or no control.

In the short term, I think there is a very simple solution. You find some grassy area further west in the industrial park and just use it for overflow tailgating. Then, when it cools down, the West lot will be plenty. This is a perfectly reasonable compromise.

NorthernBison
09-22-2015, 03:54 PM
And yet, somehow, that perception managed to kill (or at least delay) the legal availability of alcohol anywhere inside the facility during a football game.

So outside they're only discriminating against people who want to grill their own hamburgers?
I'm pretty sure that you can't publicly consume alcohol in a lot of places in Fargo. Can you consume in Fargo Parks? If so, what are the restrictions? You can grill burgers in the East lot at the Fargodome and do most anything else that people are doing while tailgating in the West lots. The only real exception is consumption of alcohol. I believe that is a joint decision of NDSU, the Dome Authority, and FPD. It may be heavily influenced by security and Policing issues. I do know that FPD does not have unlimited resources so that might have something to do with expansion decisions.

NorthernBison
09-22-2015, 04:00 PM
But where are they supposed to go when they fill up? You will have another disaster (yes, it WAS a mess) on Oct. 10; just glad I have a confirmation I am going to. Folks will break rules that they deem dumb and this started for the first time and will only grow. You can have control or no control.

In the short term, I think there is a very simple solution. You find some grassy area further west in the industrial park and just use it for overflow tailgating. Then, when it cools down, the West lot will be plenty. This is a perfectly reasonable compromise.
Simple solution for people who break rules they deem to be dumb is to issue a citation if it is unlawful. I'm quite sure Fargo ordinances and NDSU policy covers this. Actually, I have no problem with opening a grass lot for overflow tailgating. Whether it is as "simple" as you say is uncertain. I don't know if FPD has the manpower to police it. Like I said earlier, if that was ever tried, it better go smoothly or it won't happen again. Just the way things work.

BisonNation11
09-22-2015, 04:05 PM
I don't know if FPD has the manpower to police it.

I do know that FPD does not have unlimited resources so that might have something to do with expansion decisions.

This is half the problem. The amount of security is beyond ridiculous. They don't need half the security they do. And if they want that security, hire a private firm to help out so you're not taking away from the Fargo police force. They even have undercover cops strolling around. Seriously??? We're not children.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 04:12 PM
Simple solution for people who break rules they deem to be dumb is to issue a citation if it is unlawful.

Yes, that will be great press for NDSU. Folks were doing it and it is going to expand. This is exactly the type of risk you are worried about which is exactly why this is a pressing issue. If you think folks are going to abide by the rules, it is not going to happen.

bisonaudit
09-22-2015, 04:13 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can't publicly consume alcohol in a lot of places in Fargo. Can you consume in Fargo Parks? If so, what are the restrictions? You can grill burgers in the East lot at the Fargodome and do most anything else that people are doing while tailgating in the West lots. The only real exception is consumption of alcohol. I believe that is a joint decision of NDSU, the Dome Authority, and FPD. It may be heavily influenced by security and Policing issues. I do know that FPD does not have unlimited resources so that might have something to do with expansion decisions.

I'm pretty sure you're right. You can't consume alcohol a lot of places in Fargo (including anywhere inside the Dome during a football game). I'm just saying: It's not fair.

NorthernBison
09-22-2015, 04:14 PM
This is half the problem. The amount of security is beyond ridiculous. They don't need half the security they do. And if they want that security, hire a private firm to help out so you're not taking away from the Fargo police force. They even have undercover cops strolling around. Seriously??? We're not children.
I have no idea regarding the amount of security needed. I leave that for the professionals. Some of the estimates of the size of the tailgating crowd are pretty big numbers. I don't even notice the security people anymore.

NorthernBison
09-22-2015, 04:20 PM
Yes, that will be great press for NDSU. Folks were doing it and it is going to expand. This is exactly the type of risk you are worried about which is exactly why this is a pressing issue. If you think folks are going to abide by the rules, it is not going to happen.
Personally, I've seen people drinking beer in the parking lots since the 80's. For most of that time it was not legal anywhere. Suddenly this is going to be a problem? I think not.

Bison 4 Life
09-22-2015, 04:21 PM
Personally, I've seen people drinking beer in the parking lots since the 80's. For most of that time it was not legal anywhere. Suddenly this is going to be a problem? I think not.

Hell, as recently as 2000 or so, we pulled right up next to the dome in the west lot with a smokey joe and a case of beer.

Bison Loaf
09-22-2015, 04:37 PM

This. You can tailgate anywhere. "Tailgate" does not automatically mean alcohol. :) (Wow, coming from me, that is mildly amusing!)

If the west lot is full, find a spot to park, pull out the cooker and have at it, man (TWSS)! If you need a little something for medicinal purposes, keep it discretely hidden and use it in a cup (that simple "rule" will be/is a problem for a lot of people somehow :facepalm:) just like we have been for the last 30+ years. If you are hell bent on following the west lot rules to the letter (and I understand why one would, and that is certainly admirable /no purple), then fire up your grill, have a great meal where you're at, and THEN come on over to the west lot and join one of the many groups of your Bison friends.

It's not that complicated!

Vet70
09-22-2015, 04:46 PM
This. You can tailgate anywhere. "Tailgate" does not automatically mean alcohol. :) (Wow, coming from me, that is mildly amusing!)

If the west lot is full, find a spot to park, pull out the cooker and have at it, man (TWSS)! If you need a little something for medicinal purposes, keep it discretely hidden and use it in a cup (that simple "rule" will be/is a problem for a lot of people somehow :facepalm:) just like we have been for the last 30+ years. If you are hell bent on following the west lot rules to the letter (and I understand why one would, and that is certainly admirable /no purple), then fire up your grill, have a great meal where you're at, and THEN come on over to the west lot and join one of the many groups of your Bison friends.

It's not that complicated!

Loaf---when you mentioned before that you met several UND fans who were really friendly were you referring to your relatives? :biggrin:

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 04:53 PM

I thought you said you thought it would be dumb to break the rules? I am not following.

Bison Loaf
09-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Loaf---when you mentioned before that you met several UND fans who were really friendly were you referring to your relatives? :biggrin:

No, my relatives that went to UND are jerks (but I love'm, sniff, sniff). They just did it to spite me! :)

NorthernBison
09-22-2015, 05:18 PM
I thought you said you thought it would be dumb to break the rules? I am not following.
No. People who break the rules because they think the rules are dumb can be dealt with. FPD are the professionals. I'm guessing they use a certain amount of discretion in handling these situations. Furthermore, there's a huge difference in officially sanctioning consumption of alcohol in public areas and deciding to not take a Puritanical approach to enforcing the rules. Anyway, I'm guessing some things will change if the demand remains the same. It just won't happen as fast as some people would like.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 05:27 PM
No. People who break the rules because they think the rules are dumb can be dealt with. FPD are the professionals. I'm guessing they use a certain amount of discretion in handling these situations. Furthermore, there's a huge difference in officially sanctioning consumption of alcohol in public areas and deciding to not take a Puritanical approach to enforcing the rules. Anyway, I'm guessing some things will change if the demand remains the same. It just won't happen as fast as some people would like.

Okay. I admit I am still not sure if you think it is bad or not. It is like you are saying don't do it but if you do, I hope NDSU does not go puritan on you.

Herd Mentality
09-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Move tailgating from E/F/G to B/C. Redo the process from 2009. Eliminate cup rule. Rejoice.

NorthernBison
09-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Okay. I admit I am still not sure if you think it is bad or not. It is like you are saying don't do it but if you do, I hope NDSU does not go puritan on you.
What I think doesn't really matter. I don't judge. It's a big step for NDSU to open another tailgate area to alcohol because it carries with it a responsibility to police it and provide appropriate levels of security. That uses personnel resources that are limited and carries an added cost. To this point, they haven't seen fit to increase the capacity. Fair enough? I used to spend quite a bit of time on City Beach in Detroit Lakes. No alcohol allowed but plenty was consumed. I saw quite a few people get caught. Most got warned and were asked to get rid of it. Minors got cited, people who lipped off to the cops got cited, drunks got hauled in, and anybody who got a warning and was later found with alcohol got a citation for being stupid. I'm only guessing but that is how I would want it handled in any Fargodome lot where it isn't allowed.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 07:36 PM
What I think doesn't really matter. I don't judge. It's a big step for NDSU to open another tailgate area to alcohol because it carries with it a responsibility to police it and provide appropriate levels of security. That uses personnel resources that are limited and carries an added cost. To this point, they haven't seen fit to increase the capacity. Fair enough? I used to spend quite a bit of time on City Beach in Detroit Lakes. No alcohol allowed but plenty was consumed. I saw quite a few people get caught. Most got warned and were asked to get rid of it. Minors got cited, people who lipped off to the cops got cited, drunks got hauled in, and anybody who got a warning and was later found with alcohol got a citation for being stupid. I'm only guessing but that is how I would want it handled in any Fargodome lot where it isn't allowed.

I would agree apart from asking folks to get rid of it; asking them to be more discrete would be my approach.

If we keep this baby going the way it is now with no changes, mark my words, this will end up just like K St. At K St., alcohol is not allowed. Which is comical as alcohol is absolutely everywhere during the tailgate and they aren't going to do anything about it, just like NDSU won't if anti-alcohol zealots keep them from rational decision making. Believe it or not, even though I think there is way too much security, having some control is a better way to go in my mind. That is what needs to be decided; control vs no control as folks are going to tailgate even if they need to break the rules. We saw it this time, and I bet is will be worse for UNI.

Vet70
09-22-2015, 07:51 PM
I would agree apart from asking folks to get rid of it; asking them to be more discrete would be my approach.

If we keep this baby going the way it is now with no changes, mark my words, this will end up just like K St. At K St., alcohol is not allowed. Which is comical as alcohol is absolutely everywhere during the tailgate and they aren't going to do anything about it, just like NDSU won't if anti-alcohol zealots keep them from rational decision making. Believe it or not, even though I think there is way too much security, having some control is a better way to go in my mind. That is what needs to be decided; control vs no control as folks are going to tailgate even if they need to break the rules. We saw it this time, and I bet is will be worse for UNI.

At K-State alcohol is permitted in the tailgate area, but not in the stadium.

http://www.kstatesports.com/page/gameday-football

NorthernBison
09-22-2015, 07:54 PM

I'm not a Cop but I'm pretty sure they have only two options when somebody is caught in violation of the Law. Warn them and demand that they get back in compliance OR issue a citation. I don't think "Keep breaking the Law but do it discretely" is an option. Homecoming tailgate size is typically pretty large as long as the weather cooperates. Cold weather, wind, and/or some rain/sleet/snow are distinct possibilities that could cut it back significantly. The size of the crowd in the Dome will be the same as always. October weather is incredibly unpredictable.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 09:14 PM
I'm not a Cop but I'm pretty sure they have only two options when somebody is caught in violation of the Law. Warn them and demand that they get back in compliance OR issue a citation. I don't think "Keep breaking the Law but do it discretely" is an option. Homecoming tailgate size is typically pretty large as long as the weather cooperates. Cold weather, wind, and/or some rain/sleet/snow are distinct possibilities that could cut it back significantly. The size of the crowd in the Dome will be the same as always. October weather is incredibly unpredictable.

I would be a horrible cop.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 09:15 PM
At K-State alcohol is permitted in the tailgate area, but not in the stadium.

http://www.kstatesports.com/page/gameday-football

Something must have changed; it was not allowed in 2013 (not that anyone paid attention). Maybe they update them when they realize how silly they are?

AKBison
09-22-2015, 09:23 PM
It seems so simple

1) All tailgating reserved
2) Create overflow grass lot that can be GA for random tailgaters and visiting fans wanting to tailgate.
3) raise rates of reserved spots to help cover cost of private security
4) Open lots the night before at 5:00 pm, no tailgating and quiet time until 7:00 AM the next day.

I am out in Western ND and would like to put together a tailgate mini bus but after a 6 hour drive I have no desire to find a campground to park it and then have to get in line at 6:00 AM the next morning. Coming in the night before and getting situated would make a world of difference and only increase the tailgate scene.

THEsocalledfan
09-22-2015, 09:27 PM
It seems so simple

2) Create overflow grass lot that can be GA for random tailgaters and visiting fans wanting to tailgate.
4) Open lots the night before at 5:00 pm, no tailgating and quiet time until 7:00 AM the next day.

I am out in Western ND and would like to put together a tailgate mini bus but after a 6 hour drive I have no desire to find a campground to park it and then have to get in line at 6:00 AM the next morning. Coming in the night before and getting situated would make a world of difference and only increase the tailgate scene.

Yet another reasonable proposal. But what is your plan to deal with the Anti-Christ who will surely come if implemented?

Bison Loaf
09-22-2015, 09:48 PM
It seems so simple

Am I missing something here?

If all tailgating is reserved, but you have an overflow GA grass lot, then not ALL tailgating is reserved. Right?
Are you proposing that the reserved spot rates be increased to specifically pay for the new GA spots. What would the overflow GA spots be? Free?
Who pays for the security of the night before, the reserved spots again?

Not trying to argue (yet ;)), just trying to understand.

BisonAccountant44
09-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Is there any kind of waiting list for reserved spots? Is there any turnover with them? Everyone in our group was denied when the NW lot was converted, but we've haven't been asked with our ticket renewals if we'd like another shot at some. What is the process for that?

ndsubison1
09-22-2015, 11:02 PM
It seems so simple

I like having some GA in the west lot. The online ticket thing sounds like a good idea though.

Bison 4 Life
09-22-2015, 11:07 PM
I think there are only a few people who don't think this could be expanded. It's absurd how restrictive the tailgating is (and yes, I know what it was like once).

Here at Kansas, you can tailgate from sun up to sun down right on campus next to the stadium. There is limited parking but plenty of space to set up along the the grass all the way up the hill. This is in a residential area so even the neighbors are ok with it.

There is no reason why the Dome with the tons of parking and flat land all over the place can't host more tailgating for longer.

56BISON73
09-22-2015, 11:51 PM
Is there any kind of waiting list for reserved spots? Is there any turnover with them? Everyone in our group was denied when the NW lot was converted, but we've haven't been asked with our ticket renewals if we'd like another shot at some. What is the process for that?

You have to ask. Call Helena. FYI-- Any openings that may come up will be filled according to priority points.

AKBison
09-23-2015, 12:14 AM
I am not a linguistic major but to specify...

*All current spots will be Reserved

*New GA grass spot's don't open the night before and can be purchased for $25 day of game.

*Increase in reserved fees can handle guard duty the night before a game. We are talking about a rent a cop type deal for this as you only need someone to patrol around in a golf cart to ensure a party doesn't break out somewhere. One would hope that Bison fans would police their own in that type of situation. Remember, it would be "quiet hours" until 7:00 AM. Personally I think it would be a blast to roll into town, park the rig in my spot, roll over to BWW for some grub and brews and then turn in early for the big day.

Am I missing something here?

If all tailgating is reserved, but you have an overflow GA grass lot, then not ALL tailgating is reserved. Right?
Are you proposing that the reserved spot rates be increased to specifically pay for the new GA spots. What would the overflow GA spots be? Free?
Who pays for the security of the night before, the reserved spots again?

Not trying to argue (yet ;)), just trying to understand.

CAS4127
09-23-2015, 12:19 AM
You have to ask. Call Helena. FYI-- Any openings that may come up will be filled according to priority points.

Actually, call Missoula--way more people tailgating than at FFD, way more than one lot and way less security. Amazing how they can pull that off.

Also, Socalled, wtf are you talking about relative to K-State?! There were kegs in the building NDSU rented and ETOH was allowed everywhere else in TG lots. Were you there?!

Sent from my iPhone.

THEsocalledfan
09-23-2015, 12:45 AM
Actually, call Missoula--way more people tailgating than at FFD, way more than one lot and way less security. Amazing how they can pull that off.

Also, Socalled, wtf are you talking about relative to K-State?! There were kegs in the building NDSU rented and ETOH was allowed everywhere else in TG lots. Were you there?!

Sent from my iPhone.

Dude, in 2013 the official tailgate rules said no alcohol. It would be in a thread somewhere. K St. Posters let's us know ahead of time not to worry about it. I had plenty of beer that day.

tjbison
09-23-2015, 12:49 AM
Ndsu paid a whole week of extra security to stop a hypothetical invasion to paint a buffalo on campus......just sayin

CAS4127
09-23-2015, 01:06 AM
I had plenty of beer that day.

Apparently!! 😛

Sent from my iPhone.

MNLonghorn10
09-23-2015, 01:53 AM
Dude, in 2013 the official tailgate rules said no alcohol. It would be in a thread somewhere. K St. Posters let's us know ahead of time not to worry about it. I had plenty of beer that day.

doubt theres any alcohol here...all sober people.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/1237035_10151837211172376_1847197746_n.jpg?oh=b284 bd44db655c98b0e418dcf77ac670&oe=5693C8A5

Bison 4 Life
09-23-2015, 01:56 AM
doubt theres any alcohol here...all sober people.

Seems like it would be a requirement with that bunch.

Herd Mentality
09-23-2015, 01:55 PM
*Increase in reserved fees can handle guard duty the night before a game. We are talking about a rent a cop type deal for this as you only need someone to patrol around in a golf cart to ensure a party doesn't break out somewhere. One would hope that Bison fans would police their own in that type of situation. Remember, it would be "quiet hours" until 7:00 AM. Personally I think it would be a blast to roll into town, park the rig in my spot, roll over to BWW for some grub and brews and then turn in early for the big day.

Just make sure that the security is only there to stop tailgating...they can allow as much theft to occur under their watch as they want.

Bison Loaf
09-23-2015, 02:08 PM

*All current spots will be Reserved

*New GA grass spot's don't open the night before and can be purchased for $25 day of game.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

One more question. Being from Western North Dakota, are you willing to buy those reserved spots (with the raised prices for security) for the entire season? And if so, did you not have enough priority points to get them the last time around?

If not willing to do that, under your plan, you would have to go to GA anyway, and still not get to come in the night before (and have to park on the grass, which can get kind of nasty in bad weather, especially with a tailgating rig.)

AKBison
09-26-2015, 03:30 AM
I would not want it for the season but I assume it could be set up so that the spots that didn't sell out for the season could be purchased on a game by game basis. If they all sell out then great! We will be back here bitching about how to expand tailgating even more.

tjbison
09-26-2015, 03:55 AM
I would not want it for the season but I assume it could be set up so that the spots that didn't sell out for the season could be purchased on a game by game basis. If they all sell out then great! We will be back here bitching about how to expand tailgating even more.

bitching about more is a sign of success...isn't it?

Jay
09-26-2015, 09:43 PM
http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/headlines/NDSU-Refunds-Hundreds-of-Parking-Tickets-But-Fans-Wont-Get-A-Second-Chance--329653091.html?device=phone&c=y

NDSU Refunds Hundreds of Parking Tickets, But Fans Won't Get A Second Chance

AKBison
09-27-2015, 02:44 AM
bitching about more is a sign of success...isn't it?

Absolutely!

THEsocalledfan
09-27-2015, 04:39 PM
http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/headlines/NDSU-Refunds-Hundreds-of-Parking-Tickets-But-Fans-Wont-Get-A-Second-Chance--329653091.html?device=phone&c=y

Yep, full capacity my ass when supply is artificially limited. Good grief, follow up with a probing question.

Wally
09-28-2015, 07:43 PM
Love tailgating but hate the hunt for parking, the setup, the cleanup, all that ... work?
Former McDonald's Chief Marketing Officer Neil Golden has the solution for your chichi ways: Tailgater Concierge.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-tailgater-concierge-0909-biz-20150908-story.html

Bison55
09-29-2015, 02:20 PM

Yeah all those tickets were BS- people weren't parked in Ag plots, they were parked on the street or on gravel roads- ridiculous

1998braves64
09-29-2015, 05:31 PM
Yeah all those tickets were BS- people weren't parked in Ag plots, they were parked on the street or on gravel roads- ridiculous

Why would people park that far out? I guess I agree it's somewhat stupid they got tickets if they actually weren't on the plots themselves, but only takes one idiot to ruin a portion of the plots some of those aren't real large areas.

What irked me is they cut off access to the grass lot just west of JD building, north of the Rugby fields. Nothing there but grass. By time we usually show up all the pay lots in this area are filled, and this grass lot allows us easy access to get on 19th and go west as we live in Hillsboro. Surprisingly the R lot was jammed full even with the new extension on it. Not necessarily about free parking for me it's more of having the ability to go north and west which I can't out of anything east of Albrecht is tough. Option to park in NDSCS lot or the NE corner of the East lot, but we like to walk thru tailgating, plus our seats are on the west side of the dome. So it's a pain both sides of the game there. Might try out the lots west of the high rises little farther than grass lots but not that bad if you cut around Newman.

PattyBison
09-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Why would people park that far out? I guess I agree it's somewhat stupid they got tickets if they actually weren't on the plots themselves, but only takes one idiot to ruin a portion of the plots some of those aren't real large areas.

What irked me is they cut off access to the grass lot just west of JD building, north of the Rugby fields. Nothing there but grass. By time we usually show up all the pay lots in this area are filled, and this grass lot allows us easy access to get on 19th and go west as we live in Hillsboro. Surprisingly the R lot was jammed full even with the new extension on it. Not necessarily about free parking for me it's more of having the ability to go north and west which I can't out of anything east of Albrecht is tough. Option to park in NDSCS lot or the NE corner of the East lot, but we like to walk thru tailgating, plus our seats are on the west side of the dome. So it's a pain both sides of the game there. Might try out the lots west of the high rises little farther than grass lots but not that bad if you cut around Newman.

R lot will have plenty of room for all games after Homecoming.

CyPanth
09-30-2015, 06:27 AM
I was walking through the far west lot before the game and had a couple of observations. They need to number that lot and assign spots as they pay. Extremely inefficient parking of rigs. I don't have a problem with whatever kind of rig someone wants to tailgate with, but there are guidelines as to how they are to utilize space. It wasn't being used properly and more people could be engaging in tailgating if they numbered the parking spots, had them preset by rig type, and assigned them as people paid. While I do think the ultimate solution is to have the unreserved portion sold online on Tuesday, which would avoid the lines. I know they want the unreserved part so people have the opportunity to participate on a week by week basis, but they could make it happen earlier in the week with an online arrangement just like ticket sales.

NDSU could be making a killing with premium spots with outlets on their grassy lots between the research buildings. A surcharge for plugging in so no need for generators and painted off spots.

Lastly, I have been kicking around an idea and figured I would introduce it to BV to see if people here would think there would be interest. This would extend earlier than football games and there is need here, so I am not worried about it being just a 4 to 6 weekend a year proposal. Would people be interested in a campground where there would be live music on Friday and Saturday night, shuttles to the game on Saturday, and a full on party like atmosphere over a Bison home game weekend? There are some locations within 15 minutes of the dome which would be perfect for this that are still remote enough to not bother private homes. Basically a weekend long offsite tailgating experience with full campground amenities and transportation to and from the game.

Interesting idea about a campground for the night before. I would think somebody could make a nice little business out of that.

As great as you guys are at tailgating, it seems like your system just doesn't work for you.

See the aerial shot below of Jack Trice Stadium in Ames for the size of Iowa State's tailgating. And this doesn't even include the grass lot rented by your AA (grrrr) that is below the bottom of the pic. And you can double or maybe triple the number of vehicles when you add the other grass lots and the neighborhoods nearby that aren't in the picture.

The lots in the pic are marked into 24 sections (8 around the stadium and 16 in the big square). And some of the nearby grass lots require passes. Donors can buy passes for $50 (per season ) along with their season ticket order. You get a pass for your lot based on your donation level and preference. Several of the big grass lots are public ($20 per game) and one big grass lot is privately owned. They have a parking company that employs people who seem like they are probably otherwise unemployed to guard entrance to the lots. And it works. Very rarely is there a problem.

And we rarely even see a cop. You nearly have to barf on them while them cussing them out in a drunken stupor to get arrested.

THEsocalledfan
09-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Interesting idea about a campground for the night before. I would think somebody could make a nice little business out of that.

As great as you guys are at tailgating, it seems like your system just doesn't work for you.

See the aerial shot below of Jack Trice Stadium in Ames for the size of Iowa State's tailgating. And this doesn't even include the grass lot rented by your AA (grrrr) that is below the bottom of the pic. And you can double or maybe triple the number of vehicles when you add the other grass lots and the neighborhoods nearby that aren't in the picture.

The lots in the pic are marked into 24 sections (8 around the stadium and 16 in the big square). And some of the nearby grass lots require passes. Donors can buy passes for $50 (per season ) along with their season ticket order. You get a pass for your lot based on your donation level and preference. Several of the big grass lots are public ($20 per game) and one big grass lot is privately owned. They have a parking company that employs people who seem like they are probably otherwise unemployed to guard entrance to the lots. And it works. Very rarely is there a problem.

And we rarely even see a cop. You nearly have to barf on them while them cussing them out in a drunken stupor to get arrested.

This is exactly why many of us are so frustrated about this as we've been to Aimes and even Brookings for cripes sake. Yet, somehow making it hard for donors/avid fans to tailgate is considered good policy in Fargo. And still, the folks in the know won't post who these, to borrow an El Chapo term, "small time" thinkers are. I have contacted Mr. Larson to express my frustration and plan on bending the President's ear when I see him at two upcoming engagements, but I really think this is somehow out of their hands as their is no rational reason for this.

CyPanth
10-01-2015, 03:49 PM
This is exactly why many of us are so frustrated about this as we've been to Aimes and even Brookings for cripes sake. Yet, somehow making it hard for donors/avid fans to tailgate is considered good policy in Fargo. And still, the folks in the know won't post who these, to borrow an El Chapo term, "small time" thinkers are. I have contacted Mr. Larson to express my frustration and plan on bending the President's ear when I see him at two upcoming engagements, but I really think this is somehow out of their hands as their is no rational reason for this.

If there ever was a fan base that deserves the support of the institution, it is you guys. Seems like your Alumni Association takes better care of you on the road than the rest of the institution does at home. Its too bad. I'm still envious of the parade of buses that drove past our tailgate in Ames.

td577
10-01-2015, 04:16 PM

I had a couple of thoughts about your post.

1. My camping idea is to compliment the tailgating experience. We like our parties here and I am just wondering if there is interest in turning the 6 home games, or at least 4 while the weather is still somewhat moderate, into a weekend event. The immediate F/M area also has limited camping all summer, so my idea has goal of fulfilling a couple of objectives. The couple of campgrounds currently in the area are consistently overbooked, flooded until June, or an hour away in the lakes area. There probably is a need for one more campground in the area, if it is done right. The fall home game event filled weekends would be a bonus if there was interest. I am just curious if there is interest because that is a major reason why I would want to start securing financing from the couple of people I know with the money to make it happen.

2. I kind of disagree with the statement the system doesn't work. It isn't like it is a terrible system, it is just a system still in its infancy. They are still trying to figure out how to do it and do it right. There probably is a concern not to piss off the old guard in all of this, but there is also a culture here to move slowly with change and try to do it right the first time. I remember growing up and the shithole up north was putting the bridge over the train tracks to connect the north and south parts of columbia avenue. People said GF did it too quickly and didn't put in enough lanes. Fargo would have taken another 5 years to do the project but would have had enough lanes when it opened. That is kind of the mindset that goes on here with everything. It takes this community forever to move on a project but when they do it, it generally is done right with the least amount of effort. Then when the time comes to adapt to growth, there is only one change required instead of 6. It is frustrating, but eventually everything catches up. I give Fargo credit that when they do something, very rarely is something outdated when they are finished and they have built in a long life span into their projects. I have seen other communities and colleges rush to meet changes, underestimate long term demand, and have to play catch-up a lot sooner than they would like. So the short story is the tailgating will get worked out and when it does, it will be a lasting solution which will make most people happy for a long time. The couple of years of misery will be forgotten.

pwbnd
10-01-2015, 04:54 PM
Has the GA tailgating line started forming for homecoming yet?

Honeybooboo
10-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Has the GA tailgating line started forming for homecoming yet?

if NDSU wins Saturday it will start..:biggrin: