PDA

View Full Version : Who runs the option in the MVFC?

CaBisonFan
08-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Are there any teams that rely on an option offense? Is so...what are the results in terms of consistency in the conference?

CAS4127
08-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Are there any teams that rely on an option offense? Is so...what are the results in terms of consistency in the conference?

Several teams run the "Zone-Read" and/or "Spread" option and we seem to oftentimes have trouble defending it. Teams I can think of off-hand (as I recall) are UNI, SIU, YSU, WIU and there may be a few others. None run the "true option" (as I call it) as NDSU did back in the golden years!!

HerdBot
08-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Several teams run the "Zone-Read" and/or "Spread" option and we seem to oftentimes have trouble defending it. Teams I can think of off-hand (as I recall) are UNI, SIU, YSU, WIU and there may be a few others. None run the "true option" (as I call it) as NDSU did back in the golden years!!

Indiana State I believe runs the spread option too. Seems like none of the QBs never really pitch the ball. The UNI QB would look a lot like Beachy if he had a guy to pitch the ball to. Who still runs the veer?

CAS4127
08-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Indiana State I believe runs the spread option too. Seems like none of the QBs never really pitch the ball. The UNI QB would look a lot like Beachy if he had a guy to pitch the ball to. Who still runs the veer?

There would need to be an additional threat (think RB or Slot) involved to give the QB the triple option of give, keep or pitch. Most don't run that too often, thus, you don't see a pitch too often. So your observation is correct. Urban Meyer at Florida kinda started the triple threat "Read/Spread" option I think. Wish Vigen was smart enough to implement at least some of this into our offensive scheme!!

Doesn't Air Force still run the veer?

HerdBot
08-24-2011, 09:23 PM
There would need to be an additional threat (think RB or Slot) involved to give the QB the triple option of give, keep or pitch. Most don't run that too often, thus, you don't see a pitch too often. So your observation is correct. Urban Meyer at Florida kinda started the triple threat "Read/Spread" option I think. Wish Vigen was smart enough to implement at least some of this into our offensive scheme!!

Doesn't Air Force still run the veer?

Beachy running the triple option was fun to watch. He ran it as good as I can ever remember. I think its undefensible if the QB can think quickly. Im amazed you dont see teams run it because its so much more exciting than this spread crap and harder to defend. Then the poor guy had to blow his knee out.

CAS4127
08-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Beachy running the triple option was fun to watch. He ran it as good as I can ever remember. I think its undefensible if the QB can think quickly. Im amazed you dont see teams run it because its so much more exciting than this spread crap and harder to defend. Then the poor guy had to blow his knee out.

Bentrim and Simdorn---mark it down!!

Notorious
08-24-2011, 09:28 PM

Bingo!!!...

4mcruenomore
08-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Simdorn and Beachy's backup ran it very well too!!

99Bison
08-25-2011, 02:02 AM

Indeed, no offense, but always though Beechy was way to slow in making decisions on it.

KSBisonFan
08-25-2011, 02:47 AM

Case closed! It was the most dominant offense in the nation when these 2 guys ran it.....especially outdoors at Dakota Field in the cold and snow.....aaaah memories.
I believe Air Force has led the nation in rushing a few years running the veer and I'm thinking Georgia Tech has run it pretty well in the last couple years. It's indefensable when run the right way.

344Johnson
08-25-2011, 02:50 AM
Case closed! It was the most dominant offense in the nation when these 2 guys ran it.....especially outdoors at Dakota Field in the cold and snow.....aaaah memories.
I believe Air Force has led the nation in rushing a few years running the veer and I'm thinking Georgia Tech has run it pretty well in the last couple years. It's indefensable when run the right way.

This is why I almost wish the Bison went back to the veer. Not many schools run it anymore so maybe it'd make recruiting a little bit easier for QB. As it has been stated, it is impossible to stop if done correctly.

KSBisonFan
08-25-2011, 03:04 AM
This is why I almost wish the Bison went back to the veer. Not many schools run it anymore so maybe it'd make recruiting a little bit easier for QB. As it has been stated, it is impossible to stop if done correctly.

I'm with you. When you win the national championship by 40 points why do you mess with the system? What team do you know of that can score 35+ points per game by running the ball 95% of the time? Unheard of in this day and age.

CAS4127
08-25-2011, 03:09 AM
It helps if u can recruit QB's that run veer in high school--just sayin' &, well, think about it!!

CaBisonFan
08-25-2011, 04:20 AM
It helps if u can recruit QB's that run veer in high school--just sayin' &, well, think about it!!

You can recruit a QB that most other schools don't want. Everyone wants the pro-style QB. So you can get an FBS caliber athlete to run the offense...which is what Simdorn, Bentrim, & Beachy were.

I'm wondering how the teams that run some form of the option have done with offensive rankings year to year. Does UNI rank highly almost every year? Does an option offense do better in terms of the transition to new players?

It would be interesting to know how a program that's been using some form of option compares to a program that runs a pro set. Is it easier to replace an option QB...or a pro-style QB ?

Which programs are the most consistent?

CAS4127
08-25-2011, 04:52 AM
Auburn ran a form of the spread O with Newton--as did FL with Tebow. Food for thought!!

HerdBot
08-25-2011, 04:52 AM
You can recruit a QB that most other schools don't want. Everyone wants the pro-style QB. So you can get an FBS caliber athlete to run the offense...which is what Simdorn, Bentrim, & Beachy were.

I'm wondering how the teams that run some form of the option have done with offensive rankings year to year. Does UNI rank highly almost every year? Does an option offense do better in terms of the transition to new players?

It would be interesting to know how a program that's been using some form of option compares to a program that runs a pro set. Is it easier to replace an option QB...or a pro-style QB ?

Which programs are the most consistent?

I think the pro style qb is a thing of the past. The spread has ruined it. Everyone wants the next Michael Vick in college and its making the NFL less qb deep. The days of Marino and Favre are gone.

CaBisonFan
08-25-2011, 05:34 AM
I think the pro style qb is a thing of the past. The spread has ruined it. Everyone wants the next Michael Vick in college and its making the NFL less qb deep. The days of Marino and Favre are gone.

You make a good point. IMO...this type of offense has a way of sustaining drives and keeping defenses on the field. It's good for some college programs...but not a good place for a pro-style qb to go to college. It would be an interesting decision for a blue-chip qb recruit. A prime example in recent years would be Michigan. I wonder if they've gone back to a pro set.

CaBisonFan
08-25-2011, 06:56 AM

Went to the MVFC site and found some stats. 3 of the teams that you mention are near the top of the points per game stats. All of these teams rank very high in time of possession. It's a hard-nosed, ball-possession league.

OrygunBison
08-25-2011, 04:18 PM
It's a hard-nosed, ball-possession league.

Yeah, right. The next thing that you are going to tell us is that the sky is blue. Sheesh...

CaBisonFan
08-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah, right. The next thing that you are going to tell us is that the sky is blue. Sheesh...

It isn't very blue here...:rimshot:

Bison_Backer
08-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Wofford runs true triple option offense. Bring back the split back veer. Come on Vigen you played in the god dam offense.