PDA

View Full Version : Game Day Atmosphere

Bison06
08-21-2011, 02:56 PM
PL and I had a nice late night discussion on the effect a crowd plays in the outcome of a game and it got me curious. Please only answer if you have played football at any level high school and above.

While playing the game of football, have you ever been affected by the overall atmosphere of a football stadium. Taking all things into account, crowd noise, atmosphere surrounding the game etc.

If you have a specific story about a time you remember please share that as well.

Bison06
08-21-2011, 03:31 PM
I'll start with an example.

When we played Montana in '03, IMO, in the first half we were intimidated.

We had heard all week from the media from the coaches from everyone that Montana played at a level above us and the speed of the game would be much more than we were used to and to get ready for it.

Watching the film all of us were thinking the same thing. It doesn't look any faster, we can beat these guys no problem. But, when we arrived, the gameday atmosphere from the moment we woke up was intense. Driving into the stadium in Missoula you are forced to drive through some campus housing. We were met by thousands of drunk college kids out in thier front yards and everywhere you looked and everyone you saw was wearing maroon. We get into the stadium and we were told over and over again by thier fans we didn't belong there. The loudness of the fans and the mystique of everything about playing Montana was impossible to ignore. I believe, some, not all of our team, allowed that feeling to creep into our thoughts and we played that way for most of the first half.

Right before half time we started to get some offense rolling and we had our first success on defense as well with a Safety right before the half. Suddenly, we started to believe we belonged and we all know what happened in the second half.

Football players aren't robots, they can be affected by things. Everything from seeing thousands of people tailgating with amazing buses to everyone in the place wearing the same color to crowd noise can play a role in making a player think they just stepped into enemy territory.

Example, if during the cold war you found yourself in Russia and everywhere you looked you saw men in military uniforms, Russian flags flying, people singing the russian national anthem, speaking russian etc. Is that more or less intimidating then if you knew you were in Russia, but everyone was wearing civilian clothes, you could see the American flag flying in the distance at the embassy and you can see a Mcdonalds sign.

I may be overdramatizing it a bit with the cold war reference but you get my point.

bri-dog
08-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Tailgating is part of the game day atmosphere -- does that count? Because tailgating has, ummm, "affected" me.:blush:

Seriously, though, I never played college sports, but I'm pretty sure the atmosphere affects many (if not most) athletes.

tony
08-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I have more fun when the people around me don't look constipated.

HandoEX
08-21-2011, 05:08 PM
If the atmosphere doesnt matter, why is there such a difference in football team home records vs road records?

56BISON73
08-21-2011, 05:35 PM
The events and atmosphere surrounding the game effected me more than the actual crowd.

The preparation of who we were playing. My face to face opponent.
The atmosphere on campus. The cool crisp air walking to the stadium. I took it all in. I would actually stand outside and just look at the empty stadium when I got there.
But when I went inside the locker room everything changed. I calmed down. I would go get taped. I would then end up taping a bunch of players ankles also per Izzys instructions.
Go get dressed. While I am getting dressed the excitement stats to build again. But once on the field for pregame you are doing what you are supposed to be doing. After that we head back to the locker room. On the way I would see my Mom or Dad standing by the door. Stop say hi and I gotta go.
Inside the locker room every one has there there own thing they do. Some are throwing up. Others pounding lockers. You hear some talking to them selves etc etc etc. Coach calls everyone to the team room. At this point my excitement starts to get elevated again. Coach does his pregame. Excitement level stays the same. But when we run out on the field that level goes up a few notches. We go through last minute warm ups and team introduction. Then the Star Spangled banner starts playing. By the time it ends Iam about to freaking explode. Guys are banging on each others pads etc. If we have the ball I am on the return team. So I take the field trying to control myself. I am going bonkers inside. Ref blows the whistle and its kickoff and everything goes silent. I make my block. Iam back under control again. Pregame excitement is gone. Now its all about playing the game.
I hear nothing except for my team mates making line calls, calling plays and The refs. The only time I ever hear the crowd is when a play is broken for a big gain.

The atmosphere surrounding the game still effects me to this day. The cool crisp air. The pageantry of game day on a college campus, talgating and Pre game warmups still effects me. And when the National Anthem is played I still go bonkers inside. Thank God for the kick off because then I settle down and its all about the game again.

56BISON73
08-21-2011, 05:58 PM
I have been seeing a few people ask if we dont make a difference why do we go to the games.

My answer is---you love the game of college football. You are there to cheer and support your team in victory or defeat.

You make a difference by buying a ticket which supports your team financially.

You make a difference because you help create an atmosphere which is part of the game day experience. The buzz, pageantry and tailgating etc. It all goes hand in hand.

Thats why you go to a game IMO.

If by some chance your sole reason for going to a game is you think that you have a material effect on the outcome of a game IMO you are doing it wrong. But that just me.

I also want to say that I know its the fans that drive the machine and I have no disrespect to the fans at all. We just have a difference of opinion on cause and effect.

tjbison
08-21-2011, 07:08 PM
The events and atmosphere surrounding the game effected me more than the actual crowd.

The preparation of who we were playing. My face to face opponent.
The atmosphere on campus. The cool crisp air walking to the stadium. I took it all in. I would actually stand outside and just look at the empty stadium when I got there.
But when I went inside the locker room everything changed. I calmed down. I would go get taped. I would then end up taping a bunch of players ankles also per Izzys instructions.
Go get dressed. While I am getting dressed the excitement stats to build again. But once on the field for pregame you are doing what you are supposed to be doing. After that we head back to the locker room. On the way I would see my Mom or Dad standing by the door. Stop say hi and I gotta go.
Inside the locker room every one has there there own thing they do. Some are throwing up. Others pounding lockers. You hear some talking to them selves etc etc etc. Coach calls everyone to the team room. At this point my excitement starts to get elevated again. Coach does his pregame. Excitement level stays the same. But when we run out on the field that level goes up a few notches. We go through last minute warm ups and team introduction. Then the Star Spangled banner starts playing. By the time it ends Iam about to freaking explode. Guys are banging on each others pads etc. If we have the ball I am on the return team. So I take the field trying to control myself. I am going bonkers inside. Ref blows the whistle and its kickoff and everything goes silent. I make my block. Iam back under control again. Pregame excitement is gone. Now its all about playing the game.
I hear nothing except for my team mates making line calls, calling plays and The refs. The only time I ever hear the crowd is when a play is broken for a big gain.

The atmosphere surrounding the game still effects me to this day. The cool crisp air. The pageantry of game day on a college campus, talgating and Pre game warmups still effects me. And when the National Anthem is played I still go bonkers inside. Thank God for the kick off because then I settle down and its all about the game again.

See Im totally different PL if the people around me are jacked Im a hell of a lot more wild. If the book readers come to their 1 or 2 games a year I tend to be a little less voiceful. But thats me:)

OrygunBison
08-21-2011, 07:14 PM
I never played college ball. I wish I could have. To those of you that have, I sincerely envy you. That all said, I'm still going to answer based on a particular experience that comes to mind.

In the late 90's (I think), #6 UCLA visited the Ducks at Autzen. I had seats at the 35 yard line. As many of you have heard, Autzen Stadium is generally pretty f'ing loud. For one reason or another, the crowd was particularly amped this game. Somewhere in the 2nd quarter, the crowd gets up for a crucial 3rd down. False start. Crowd feels like it did something and gets louder. Another false start. Crowd really feels it and somehow gets louder. Third false start in a row. Bob Toledo elects to punt on third and about 35 or so. The crowd never lets up for the rest of the game and the Ducks pound the Bruins that day.

After being a part of that, I will always believe that I can affect the game if I'm in the stands.

HerdBot
08-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Good comments here. Steve Hallstrom once wrote that the Fargodome was louder than Iowa State. I think the noise is good for 3-4 plays per game or sometimes tbe noise can contribute to a slow start. Sometimes the atmosphere can act as a distraction. Given the margin of victory is social narrow I think the crowd makes a difference. There is a reason the qb signals to the crowd to be quiet... he can't hear.

CHADSTAUS
08-22-2011, 05:03 PM
I am a firm beleiver that the crowd plays a very important role in the game. I also beleive that after 1-2 cold ones, I become more influential. :)