PDA

View Full Version : RIP - Lyle Hokanson

aces1180
08-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Lyle passed away.

I'll miss seeing him sitting by northwest tunnel of the Fargodome...Before we got the video boards, he used to change the numbers on banner that showed how much money was donated to the United Way after a Bison score. He was really sore the next day after the last MSU Moorhead game.

He was a great guy to work with when I was there and I'm sad he won't be able to enjoy his retirement.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/330043/group/homepage/

TheBisonator
08-10-2011, 11:24 PM
My goodness, Lyle died??

RIP Lyle. We'll miss you.

I remember Lyle. Kind of a silent guy, didn't say much. We'll miss him.

Leonardite
08-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Very sad to hear that. Mr. Bison through and through.

BraxtonT
08-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Muck-en-hirn!!!

That's the first thing to come to mind when I think of Lyle when he did the PA at Dacotah Field.

RIP, Lyle.

BadlandsBison
08-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Prayers for Lyle and his family.

Tatanka
08-11-2011, 12:38 AM
I'll never forget him running the PA at basketball games at the BSA. Awesome voice. And occasionally made time to call UND "the boys named sue".

sambini
08-11-2011, 01:03 AM
The real voice of Bison athletics.. RIP Lyle

roadwarrior
08-11-2011, 01:18 AM
For those too young to know, he did a wonderful job as announcer at Dacotah Field and the BSA. And for those who didn't know him, maybe you saw him driving his bright yellow Monte Carlo with the ND license plate, "VOICE".

Elephants Dream?
08-11-2011, 01:43 AM
I Always enjoyed a short visit with Lyle at the BSA.
Great guy! I'm gonna miss him.
For those too young; He wore a Tuxedo when announcing
during the Elite 8's held at the BSA during the glory days
of WBB in the 90's. :)
He'll be in my prayers.

aces1180
08-11-2011, 01:43 AM
For those too young to know, he did a wonderful job as announcer at Dacotah Field and the BSA. And for those who didn't know him, maybe you saw him driving his bright yellow Monte Carlo with the ND license plate, "VOICE".

That's another Bison First Doooooowwwwwnnnnnn.

Hammerhead
08-11-2011, 01:45 AM
Everybody up for the kickoff because THE MARCH IS ON!

R.I.P. friend.

CHADSTAUS
08-11-2011, 02:46 AM
Great guy. He will be missed.

Thunder_Struck
08-11-2011, 03:23 AM
Great man. He umpired many of my little league games back in the day.

WYOBISONMAN
08-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Lyle did so much to make the atmosphere at Dacotah Field during my undergrad years. He was indeed the Voice of the Bison. He also added much to the intensity of the baskeball games during the the years Erv coached.

tony
08-11-2011, 01:12 PM
In my biased opinion, Lyle was the best announcer I've ever heard. Sounds like he was much more than that though. He will be missed.

OrygunBison
08-11-2011, 02:06 PM
In my biased opinion, Lyle was the best announcer I've ever heard.

I've been to lot's of college football in many stadiums and I'd have to concur with this statement. RIP, Lyle. We'll certainly miss you.

sambini
08-11-2011, 09:49 PM
In my biased opinion, Lyle was the best announcer I've ever heard. Sounds like he was much more than that though. He will be missed. He was the REAL VOICE+++ RIP LYLE

KSBisonFan
08-12-2011, 12:55 AM
RIP, Lyle.

Reading this thread, I could hear his voice at both the BSA and Dakota Field. God has a new PA announcer and there's not a better one out there.
"Everybody up for the kickoff 'cuz the march is STILL on!" as he'd say during Bison blowout wins. RIP

Castor Troy
08-12-2011, 04:51 PM
As Kolpack pointed out, he was always good for some verbal banter and no one was safe from getting crap from him. The women didn't get the R rated version but the guys certainly did.

All of our shoe deliveries went through Lyle, so we went to the cage to get our new shoes. One year I ordered a pair of $100 steeplechase shoes with a drainage system and everything so I was really excited to get them. I bugged Lyle for an entire week, so when I checked back with him on Monday he was ready for me. I said, "Hey Lyle did my shoes come yet?" He said, "Yes they did, let me get them for you." So he went in the back room and came back with a pair of size 15 football cleats. He plopped them on the desk with a "thud" and stared at me. I have more stories like that since his jokes were a daily occurance.

1bizon1
08-13-2011, 01:34 PM
He would lower his voice (when the Bizon D stopped the opponents O, AGAIN!) and announce...."4th D-O-W-N" Still miss you Lyle.... :~(

IzzyFlexion
08-13-2011, 03:15 PM
And starting at center for the Bison, a 6' 10" center from Minneapolis, Minnesota......number 54.....Lance Berrrrrrrrrrrrrwald!

Lyle was simply..the best!