PDA

View Full Version : 20 facts about Lafayette

tony
08-10-2011, 04:50 PM
1. Their nickname is the Leopards
2. They play in the Patriot
3. Their last game was against their big rival, Lehigh*. They lost by 7. Next week, Lehigh beat UNI in the playoffs.
4. They moved their fall camp off campus this year.
5. This is the first time the two teams have met.
6. This road trip will be the longest ever for Lafayette football; it's twice as far as they've ever gone before.
7. Their offensive line averages 312 lbs.
8. Longest interception return against Lafayette: 100 yards.
9. Longest fumble return against Lafayette: 87 yards.
10. Their returning QB completed 67% of his passes last year.
11. In the FCS, Lafayette is #6 all time in victories (650.) NDSU is #12 (613.)
12. Lafayette-Lehigh have played at least once every year since 1897.
13. Lafayette put four players and three coaches into the College Football Hall of Fame (NDSU has three players and two coaches.)
14. A Lafayette player, George Barclay, invented the football helmet and Lafayette was the first team to play wearing helmets.
15. Lafayette gave up almost 2000 yards rushing last year (4.5 ypc.)
16. Lafayette gave up 30 sacks last year.
17. Five of Lafayette's losses lsat year were by a TD or less.
18. Lafayette had just under 4000 yards of total offense in 2010.
19. Their coach has a mustache.
20. Lafayette claims three national championships... not FCS, not small school, we're talking National Championships from when there were no subdivisions.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehigh-Lafayette_football_games_(The_Rivalry)

pwbnd
08-10-2011, 04:53 PM
19. Their coach has a mustache.

I wonder what our record is vs. coaches with mustaches?

tony
08-10-2011, 04:54 PM
I wonder what our record is vs. coaches with mustaches?

Holy carp! We need to research this!

MNLonghorn10
08-10-2011, 05:29 PM
#21: lafayette will start the season 0-1

Gully
08-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Nice facts Tony. I just have a feeling they will not be a total pushover.

Tatanka
08-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Nice facts Tony. I just have a feeling they will not be a total pushover.

This. Although they still might just get in the dome and crap their pants, they're not at all a patsy.

MN_BISON
08-10-2011, 06:38 PM
This. Although they still might just get in the dome and crap their pants, they're not at all a patsy.

So what you're telling us is Lafayette is no Drake.

Gully
08-10-2011, 06:44 PM
What was Bohl's comment? Something about hating the French.

Tatanka
08-10-2011, 06:54 PM
So what you're telling us is Lafayette is no Drake.

That would be one correct interpretation. I would also have accepted Black Hills State.

DePereBisonFan
08-10-2011, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=tony;514756]20. Lafayette claims three national championships... not FCS, not small school, we're talking National Championships from when there were no subdivisions.

Looking into this a bit further, thanks to wikipedia and sports-reference.com for this information:

In 1896 they beat West Virginia 3 times for a total score of 58-0. They allowed 10 total points in 12 games, going 11-0-1, and were ranked #1 out of 30 teams.

In 1921 they went 9-0 and were ranked #1 out of 102 teams.

In 1926* they went 9-0 and were co-champions.

*In 1926 there was a conference called the Missouri Valley. Its teams were: Oklahoma A&M, Nebraska, Grinnell, Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Iowa State, Drake, Kansas and Washington (Missouri).

pwbnd
08-10-2011, 08:49 PM
FYI -

Kansas - Turner Gill - no moustache - Win
UNI - Mark Farley - no moustache - Loss
Morgan State - MOUSTACHE! - Win
USD - Ed Meierkort - no moustache - Win
WIU - Mark Hendrickson - no moustache - Loss
YSU - Eric Wolford - no moustache - Win
Illinios State - Brock Spack - MOUSTACHE! - Loss
Indiana State - Trent Miles - no moustache - Win
SIU - Dale Lennon - MOUSTACHE! - Win
SDSU - John Stiegelmeier - no moustache - Win
Missouri State - Terry Allen - no moustache - Loss
Robert Morris - Joe Walton - no moustache - Win
Montana State - Rob Ash - no moustache - Win
EWU - Beau Baldwin - no moustache - Loss

According to readily available online photos of these gentlemen....it looks like we were 2 -1 vs. head coaches with moustaches last season.

IzzyFlexion
08-10-2011, 11:50 PM
And..........1-0 vs teams with cheerleaders with mustaches.
Got a nice little trophy out of the deal too.

CHADSTAUS
08-11-2011, 02:50 AM
#21: lafayette will start the season 0-1

#22 : They will feel privileged to have played us and be 0-1.

mnriverbison
08-11-2011, 01:38 PM
#22 : They will feel privileged to have played us and be 0-1.

I'm starting to think that they may not be the pushover that we had first thought.

MNLonghorn10
08-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm starting to think that they may not be the pushover that we had first thought.

http://files.myopera.com/AMGala/albums/200326/Han%20Solo%20-%20We%20Are%20Going%20To%20Die.gif

tjbison
08-11-2011, 03:37 PM
we blow them out

CHADSTAUS
08-11-2011, 04:57 PM

40 something to single digit something. Take it to the bank.

Scooter1
08-13-2011, 03:38 PM
#23 Lafayette is definately taking the "remember the titans" approach to the 2011 season. They held the first week of practice at a national guard training center and sited NCAA regulations that they couldn't let you know what was going on. Yesterday they posted a video on their site showing where they were. It included... a picture of the training site, an inspirational speaker, helicopters, the dormitory, a row of bunk beds, and a spartan meeting room. Looks to me like they are trying to play the have vs. have nots card.

What was up with the lafayette coach stating NCAA regulations about coverage and not being able to state where they were holding the first week of practice? Here we sit with updates since day 1...frequent video blog updates from Kolpack and Izzo and they are under an NCAA gag rule?

BisoninNWMN
08-13-2011, 08:54 PM
we blow them out

Yes we will.

The competition they play against is not on par with the Bison's.

1st half might be close but a 2nd half blow out.

56BISON73
08-13-2011, 10:43 PM
#23 Lafayette is definately taking the "remember the titans" approach to the 2011 season. They held the first week of practice at a national guard training center and sited NCAA regulations that they couldn't let you know what was going on. Yesterday they posted a video on their site showing where they were. It included... a picture of the training site, an inspirational speaker, helicopters, the dormitory, a row of bunk beds, and a spartan meeting room. Looks to me like they are trying to play the have vs. have nots card.

What was up with the lafayette coach stating NCAA regulations about coverage and not being able to state where they were holding the first week of practice? Here we sit with updates since day 1...frequent video blog updates from Kolpack and Izzo and they are under an NCAA gag rule?

After their finish last year it looks like hes getting his team back to basics and kicking there ass. I like that approach to try and turn things around. What doesnt kill you will only make you stronger.

Leopard fan
08-14-2011, 05:47 PM
#23 Lafayette is definately taking the "remember the titans" approach to the 2011 season. They held the first week of practice at a national guard training center and sited NCAA regulations that they couldn't let you know what was going on. Yesterday they posted a video on their site showing where they were. It included... a picture of the training site, an inspirational speaker, helicopters, the dormitory, a row of bunk beds, and a spartan meeting room. Looks to me like they are trying to play the have vs. have nots card.What was up with the lafayette coach stating NCAA regulations about coverage and not being able to state where they were holding the first week of practice? Here we sit with updates since day 1...frequent video blog updates from Kolpack and Izzo and they are under an NCAA gag rule?

Lafayette is not a "have not" it was simply a bonding experience. Practice must be without full pads the first 4 or 5 days anyway so it was an effort to change things up a bit

You cannot state where you are holding practice if it is an off campus camp setting. Where is your practice being held?

Also check out Lafayette's facilities below if you wish.

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/060107aah.html

Twentysix
08-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Lafayette is not a "have not" it was simply a bonding experience. Practice must be without full pads the first 4 or 5 days anyway so it was an effort to change things up a bit

You cannot state where you are holding practice if it is an off campus camp setting. Where is your practice being held?

A lot of bison fans like playing blindfolded darts. Sometimes you throw it out the window some times you hit a bullseye. I wouldn't take many posters seriously.

4mcruenomore
08-14-2011, 05:57 PM

Very nice facilities imo.

Tatanka
08-14-2011, 07:26 PM

Are you coming out for the game? If so, I hope you will join us for tailgating...

Scooter1
08-15-2011, 05:30 AM

Nice facilities. Photos on the walls were cool. You should check out The FargoDome...although I like your whirl pool better.

What I meant was... playing the underdog card. BTW you are a huge underdog in this game.

1. Coming to a Domed Stadium (experience which you don't have)
2. Traveling a considerable distance to play a game (experience you don't have)
3. Playing in a league that is is considered one of the top 3 in FCS (the Patriot isn't one of these)
4. 18000 fans (that's 10,000 more than your average.) If you haven't played before 18000 fans, it is way different than 8000.
5. Playing against a playoff team from last season (didn't see you invited)
6. You weren't practicing at your facility. In effect, it was taken away from your players the first week. This could be used to create a have not mentality for the players.
7. If NDSU were in the Patriot league, they would never have less than an 8 win season....ever.

So...yeah, Haves Vs the Have nots.

If you do come to the game, I hear the tailgaiters are nice guys. They will gladly welcome you. You'll go home with a loss, but you may get a beer out of it.

Don't take this shit so seriously.

Twentysix
08-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Most if not all of us know nothing about lafayette. They are NOT a cupcake.

If you look at the last 10 years they are sometimes included in the final top 25 poll. They were a top 25 team after the 2009 championship.
In the 2005 final they were #21
In the 2004 final they were #19

I am not saying they are gonna beat us, but they are not similar to any NEC or HBCU (we have played) you would like to compare them too.

You dont even have to go back more than 10 years to see a patriot league team ranked #5 in the country in the FINAL poll.

Yeah, they dont have scholarships. Yeah they have higher academic standards. But no they are not a patsy.

Do I think we will win? Yes.

I expect us to beat St Francis 100-3.

I expect us to beat Lafayette 28-17.

Given scholarships I have no doubt lafayette/lehigh could compete in the MVFC. Without scholarships I would expect them to routinely finish towards the bottom of the middle or higher(#4-6).

Unless lafayette has another down year, the pick your score to 3 posts are really distasteful.

Very similar to the way kansas fans said they would beat us 50-7

tony
08-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Heh, twentysix, #1 fact about Bisonville: Score predictions usually favor NDSU by 5 to 7 TDs pretty much no matter who is on the schedule.

To me, Lafayette appears to be like NDSU was last year (or 2003.) They are a program with a ton of tradition coming off a terrible year. I expect them to play a hard-nosed game with a lot of emotion.

At least there is no chance that NDSU is looking past Lafayette towards the next game.

Leopard fan
08-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Nice facilities. Photos on the walls were cool. You should check out The FargoDome...although I like your whirl pool better.

What I meant was... playing the underdog card. BTW you are a huge underdog in this game.

1. Coming to a Domed Stadium (experience which you don't have)
2. Traveling a considerable distance to play a game (experience you don't have)
3. Playing in a league that is is considered one of the top 3 in FCS (the Patriot isn't one of these)
4. 18000 fans (that's 10,000 more than your average.) If you haven't played before 18000 fans, it is way different than 8000.
5. Playing against a playoff team from last season (didn't see you invited)
6. You weren't practicing at your facility. In effect, it was taken away from your players the first week. This could be used to create a have not mentality for the players.
7. If NDSU were in the Patriot league, they would never have less than an 8 win season....ever.

So...yeah, Haves Vs the Have nots.

If you do come to the game, I hear the tailgaiters are nice guys. They will gladly welcome you. You'll go home with a loss, but you may get a beer out of it.

Don't take this shit so seriously.

NDSU is a fine team, and Lafayette is certainly the underdog, but as others have said we aren't St. Francis. Lafayette has been playing football for a very long time against the same schools in the Northeast. We have great tradition, but it is nice to expand our footprint a bit and step out of our comfort zone.

1.) The domed stadium is unusual, but I think the old turf may be the greater advantage.

2.)Travel is not that big of a deal. Last time we went rather far to an away game we beat Liberty who was ranked in the top 15 at the time.

3.) The Patriot is not a top league, but PL teams can beat MVC teams. In fact our rival Lehigh beat your rival UNI on the road last year. This doesn't mean that we can do the same, but a PL team can beat an MVC team.

4.) Each year our game vs. Lehigh is a sellout. It is one of the longest and most intense rivalries in FCS, so we do play in very harsh conditions.

5.) NDSU is a very good team and made the playoffs last year. We had our worst year in nearly a decade in 2010. Typically that is bad news, but this is a new year.

6.) The little trip we took was to allow the players to bond a bit in a spartan setting. They players are back to sitting in their tricked out locker room watching flat screen TV's. They are not deprived. The Lafayette players have a lot of respect for NDSU and your program, but we do not have the have not mentality.

7.) If NDSU were in the PL they would have to follow the same restrictions that other PL schools follow. They include the academic index and need based finanical aid. NDSU would not be as strong under PL rules.

Also I understand many folks believe Lafayette is non-scholarship like a Dayton or Valpo, and that is not the case. We basically offer need based scholarships rather than straight up "normal" scholarships. We offer about 50 scholarships under that method.

Overall a MVC team that is expected to make the playoffs beats a PL team that is expected to be middle of the pack most of the time. However Lafayette is not St. Francis, and you will see the difference. I don't think Lafayette will win, but I expect a competitive game.

Gully
08-15-2011, 04:18 PM
NDSU is a fine team, and Lafayette is certainly the underdog, but as others have said we aren't St. Francis. Lafayette has been playing football for a very long time against the same schools in the Northeast. We have great tradition, but it is nice to expand our footprint a bit and step out of our comfort zone.

1.) The domed stadium is unusual, but I think the old turf may be the greater advantage.

2.)Travel is not that big of a deal. Last time we went rather far to an away game we beat Liberty who was ranked in the top 15 at the time.

3.) The Patriot is not a top league, but PL teams can beat MVC teams. In fact our rival Lehigh beat your rival UNI on the road last year. This doesn't mean that we can do the same, but a PL team can beat an MVC team.

4.) Each year our game vs. Lehigh is a sellout. It is one of the longest and most intense rivalries in FCS, so we do play in very harsh conditions.

5.) NDSU is a very good team and made the playoffs last year. We had our worst year in nearly a decade in 2010. Typically that is bad news, but this is a new year.

6.) The little trip we took was to allow the players to bond a bit in a spartan setting. They players are back to sitting in their tricked out locker room watching flat screen TV's. They are not deprived. The Lafayette players have a lot of respect for NDSU and your program, but we do not have the have not mentality.

7.) If NDSU were in the PL they would have to follow the same restrictions that other PL schools follow. They include the academic index and need based finanical aid. NDSU would not be as strong under PL rules.

Also I understand many folks believe Lafayette is non-scholarship like a Dayton or Valpo, and that is not the case. We basically offer need based scholarships rather than straight up "normal" scholarships. We offer about 50 scholarships under that method.

Overall a MVC team that is expected to make the playoffs beats a PL team that is expected to be middle of the pack most of the time. However Lafayette is not St. Francis, and you will see the difference. I don't think Lafayette will win, but I expect a competitive game.

I think that's a pretty good assessment. Looking forward to some fb!

Twentysix
08-15-2011, 05:05 PM

Do you feel scholarships even at the same number, around 50, Would improve your recruiting classes.

Leopard fan
08-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Do you feel scholarships even at the same number, around 50, Would improve your recruiting classes.

Yes...the need based aid certainly harms our recruiting efforts. We typically recruits against the Ivies and the other NE FCS schools. Most kids choose an Ivy over a PL school as both have need based aid, and what we can offer is typically pretty similar. We will rarely beat out Harvard, Penn, or Yale for a kid even with full schoalrships, but many kids may choose to go to Bucknell for free instead of paying 10k a year to go to Cornell. Same goes for the CAA. Maybe a kid decides to go to Colgate instead of UNH with the aid being equal. Right now we can't offer every kid a full ride, no matter how bad we want him, unless the aid formula allows us to do so. The aid given out is generous, but no always full.

With scholarships the PL gets better, but at the end of the day we are still small schools with academic restrictions. Overall we feel we would be like Richmond, Wofford,and Furman if we gave the typical scholarships.

Tatanka
08-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Yes...the need based aid certainly harms our recruiting efforts. We typically recruits against the Ivies and the other NE FCS schools. Most kids choose an Ivy over a PL school as both have need based aid, and what we can offer is typically pretty similar. We will rarely beat out Harvard, Penn, or Yale for a kid even with full schoalrships, but many kids may choose to go to Bucknell for free instead of paying 10k a year to go to Cornell. Same goes for the CAA. Maybe a kid decides to go to Colgate instead of UNH with the aid being equal. Right now we can't offer every kid a full ride, no matter how bad we want him, unless the aid formula allows us to do so. The aid given out is generous, but no always full.

With scholarships the PL gets better, but at the end of the day we are still small schools with academic restrictions. Overall we feel we would be like Richmond, Wofford,and Furman if we gave the typical scholarships.

Sounds pretty reasonable...

So are you making the trip out or what? Would love to host you and your crew at tailgate and talk some more football!!!

Leopard fan
08-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Sounds pretty reasonable...

So are you making the trip out or what? Would love to host you and your crew at tailgate and talk some more football!!!

I am not making the trip. I believe there will be a small group of fans coming out however.

344Johnson
08-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Hopefully its an interesting trip for any Lafayette fans. I would assume very very few of them have ever been to North Dakota.

Tatanka
08-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I am not making the trip. I believe there will be a small group of fans coming out however.

Excellent. If you know any of them, please shoot me a PM with some contact info and we'll get them hooked up for tailgating!

CAS4127
08-15-2011, 07:00 PM

Well, given that, AG and Note will for sure be there to tailgate!!!!

EndZoneQB
08-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Excellent. If you know any of them, please shoot me a PM with some contact info and we'll get them hooked up for tailgating!

You know I will round them up and bring them over if they are out haha

Tatanka
08-15-2011, 07:24 PM
You know I will round them up and bring them over if they are out haha

Indeed!!!!

Notorious
08-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Lafayette Notable Alum:

Joel Silver, head of Hollywood's Silver Pictures and producer of films including the Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, and The Matrix series.

I think his sister played on the football team in '69.

Leopard fan
08-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Lafayette Notable Alum:

Joel Silver, head of Hollywood's Silver Pictures and producer of films including the Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, and The Matrix series.

I think his sister played on the football team in '69.

Joe Maddon, the manager of the Devil Rays, played football and baseball at Lafayette. He only played football for one year and then concentrated on baseball.

Older guys may remember the band "The Cyrcle" from the 1960's. They met and formed at Lafayette College.

MNLonghorn10
08-15-2011, 10:15 PM
you bastards are going down so bad that even daunte perez will be getting some meaninful reps!

BisoninNWMN
08-15-2011, 11:34 PM
you bastards are going down so bad that even daunte perez will be getting some meaninful reps!

I believe the Bison will come with something to prove after how last year ended.

It would be interesting to see Daunte out there at QB, to see what he can do.

pantherhawkrolling
08-16-2011, 03:52 AM
This team beat my Panthers. I think the better team lost that day, but there are no excuses. Call me petty, but I hope that NDSU plasters this team. Realistically, Lafayette plays very sound defense and are difficult to blow out. I think that NDSU wins because they are the better team and they are at home, but this is a tough opponent that plays with intelligence so I would be surprised if the margin of victory was more than 10-14 points.

JSUBison
08-16-2011, 04:09 AM
This team beat my Panthers. I think the better team lost that day, but there are no excuses. Call me petty, but I hope that NDSU plasters this team. Realistically, Lafayette plays very sound defense and are difficult to blow out. I think that NDSU wins because they are the better team and they are at home, but this is a tough opponent that plays with intelligence so I would be surprised if the margin of victory was more than 10-14 points.

You got Lehigh and Lafayette mixed up.

Leopard fan
08-16-2011, 01:13 PM

Correct. Lehigh was certainly better than Lafayette last year, but overall the two squads have similar overall talent level.

If I were making a line for this game it would be something like NDSU by 17.

4mcruenomore
08-16-2011, 01:16 PM
I believe the Bison will come with something to prove after how last year ended.

It would be interesting to see Daunte out there at QB, to see what he can do.

Why does everyone keep saying that, "let's see what he can do", obviously nothing, he is 3rd on the depth chart, and was 4th before Jose left, not even playing qb at that point. Let it go.

Pards Rule
08-18-2011, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=tony;514756]20. Lafayette claims three national championships... not FCS, not small school, we're talking National Championships from when there were no subdivisions.

Looking into this a bit further, thanks to wikipedia and sports-reference.com for this information:

In 1896 they beat West Virginia 3 times for a total score of 58-0. They allowed 10 total points in 12 games, going 11-0-1, and were ranked #1 out of 30 teams.

In 1921 they went 9-0 and were ranked #1 out of 102 teams.

In 1926* they went 9-0 and were co-champions.

*In 1926 there was a conference called the Missouri Valley. Its teams were: Oklahoma A&M, Nebraska, Grinnell, Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Iowa State, Drake, Kansas and Washington (Missouri).

And in 1926 the 'Pards played WVU in Morgantown WV - up until Sept. 3, 2011 the farthest west the team has played a game.

Pards Rule
08-18-2011, 07:10 PM

Traditional...*** Sigh *** We're the other cleats!

Pards Rule
08-18-2011, 07:19 PM

I'm researching Fargo trip now! Closest I have been is OMA (Omaha) 5 years ago. Would I be better flying into MSP and driving I assume?

Bison Dan
08-18-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm researching Fargo trip now! Closest I have been is OMA (Omaha) 5 years ago. Would I be better flying into MSP and driving I assume?

That's one option but check out the difference of flying directly into Fargo. Sometimes there is little cost difference. Hope you come in and tailgate with us. Someone will always have a beer ready for you.

CAS4127
08-18-2011, 07:23 PM

The Fargo "Hector" International Airport is only about 1/2 mile from FargoDome, and there are 2-3 Hotels within a block or so of the Dome. I'd say you are better off flying to Fargo. Cost would be more, but time and convenience would make up for it. There are also several bars within easy walking distance of hotels and Dome. Just my .02

tony
08-18-2011, 07:41 PM

Minneapolis to Fargo is a bit of a drive (240 miles or so) and, being Labor Day weekend, the traffic going out of Minneapolis will probably be hellacious. Unless you have something you want to do in Minneapolis, you might want to fly straight on through to Fargo (that's what my wife and I are doing.)

Pretty easy to do if you fly Delta.

EndZoneQB
08-18-2011, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=DePereBisonFan;514794]

And in 1926 the 'Pards played WVU in Morgantown WV - [B]up until Sept. 3, 2011 the farthest west the team has played a game.

Really? That seems crazy to me, but I guess when you have a boatload of teams out that way, it doesn't make much sense to travel(not that it sounds like the school is hurting for money!).

Honestly, the drive from MSP to Fargo SUCKS. It's an easy drive, but after a day of flying, I'd rather spend the extra $100-200 to fly 40 mins to/from Fargo. Plus, security and checking in at Hector International is so easy and relaxed. It depends on what carrier you can use, but I'd say Delta is probably the cheapest, but it's been about 10 years since I've flown east.

Either way, get to Fargo! If you've never been up to this area, it'll be different, but you'll probably like it. Park your rental car in the tailgate lot, display a flag and we will come find you...or just come to the "rainforest" in the south trees and we can hammer some shots and rummy bears.

Leopard fan
08-18-2011, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=Pards Rule;516671]

Really? That seems crazy to me, but I guess when you have a boatload of teams out that way, it doesn't make much sense to travel(not that it sounds like the school is hurting for money!).

Honestly, the drive from MSP to Fargo SUCKS. It's an easy drive, but after a day of flying, I'd rather spend the extra $100-200 to fly 40 mins to/from Fargo. Plus, security and checking in at Hector International is so easy and relaxed. It depends on what carrier you can use, but I'd say Delta is probably the cheapest, but it's been about 10 years since I've flown east.

Either way, get to Fargo! If you've never been up to this area, it'll be different, but you'll probably like it. Park your rental car in the tailgate lot, display a flag and we will come find you...or just come to the "rainforest" in the south trees and we can hammer some shots and rummy bears.

It is rather strange that we have never ventured out west. Although we did go to Boone, NC in 2005 to play App State in the playoffs. I believe Boone is slightly west of Morgantown, WV.

A weird fact i've heard is that Harvard hasn't played west of Philadelphia since WWII. There are just so many schools to play within a 4 hour drive we don't get on a plane that often.

Pards Rule
08-18-2011, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=EndZoneQB;516689]

It is rather strange that we have never ventured out west. Although we did go to Boone, NC in 2005 to play App State in the playoffs. I believe Boone is slightly west of Morgantown, WV.

A weird fact i've heard is that Harvard hasn't played west of Philadelphia since WWII. There are just so many schools to play within a 4 hour drive we don't get on a plane that often.

Yowza - you are oh so slightly right - it looks a tad bit further west than Morgantown. I do stand corrected Leopard fan. I think I'm looking at staying at the rather new Settle Inn in Fargo too.

Civil06
08-18-2011, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=Leopard fan;516713]

Yowza - you are oh so slightly right - it looks a tad bit further west than Morgantown. I do stand corrected Leopard fan. I think I'm looking at staying at the rather new Settle Inn in Fargo too.

I see you're from Cherry Hill. If you decide to fly into FAR, check out the prices from Newark. My buddy from Philadelphia always saves money flying from Newark to FAR vs. others.

Bison bison
08-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Just don't getcher as# shot before getting on the plane.

Pards Rule
08-18-2011, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=Pards Rule;516722]

I see you're from Cherry Hill. If you decide to fly into FAR, check out the prices from Newark. My buddy from Philadelphia always saves money flying from Newark to FAR vs. others.

Thanks! I will definitely look into it!! I estimate a MSP>FAR drive of 240 miles about 4 hours! Thats a lot when I would rather be in Fargo ;) I can always just drive across the river to take MN off my bucket list of states visited!

Tatanka
08-19-2011, 12:51 AM
[QUOTE=Civil06;516727]

Thanks! I will definitely look into it!! I estimate a MSP>FAR drive of 240 miles about 4 hours! Thats a lot when I would rather be in Fargo ;) I can always just drive across the river to take MN off my bucket list of states visited!

exactly. Unless you fly through MSP. Then you don't even have to drive the extra 3 miles. See you at the tailgate. PM me if you want specifics on where we're at.

IzzyFlexion
08-19-2011, 04:01 AM
[QUOTE=Leopard fan;516713]

I think I'm looking at staying at the rather new Settle Inn in Fargo too.

Is this hotel choice (color scheme) some sort of wacky psycological thing for you?:rimshot:

http://www.redrivernightlife.com/mnodata/userphotos/41/105204-settle-inn--suites-of-fargo-3310-0.jpghttp://www.kfyrtv-videos.com/uploadfile/ndsu%20bison%20logo%20over%20green%20peacock%281%2 9.jpg

SamsRams
08-19-2011, 10:15 PM

Two points on this. Yes you are correct that Lafayette cannot announce where their practice is if it is off campus. But at the same time, if you were a have and not a have not, you would have media members and fans who would care enough about the program to find out.

http://www.elynews.com/articles/2011/08/12/opinion/oped01.txt

344Johnson
08-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Two points on this. Yes you are correct that Lafayette cannot announce where their practice is if it is off campus. But at the same time, if you were a have and not a have not, you would have media members and fans who would care enough about the program to find out.

Define a have and a have not? What makes NDSU anymore of a "have" than Lafayette? Not trying to attack you by any means, just would like to be more informed.

Twentysix
08-20-2011, 03:42 AM
Define a have and a have not? What makes NDSU anymore of a "have" than Lafayette? Not trying to attack you by any means, just would like to be more informed.

Curious as well. I bet their endowment is considerably larger. And let's face it a 3/4 full fargodome is hardly the big house.

Leopard fan
08-20-2011, 01:19 PM

I'm not really sure where you are going with this. The fans and media knew where the first few days of camp were, the school just couldn't announce it.

Also we have daily camp updates on our website.

http://www.goleopards.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/11-preseason-central.html

Pards Rule
08-22-2011, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=Pards Rule;516749]

exactly. Unless you fly through MSP. Then you don't even have to drive the extra 3 miles. See you at the tailgate. PM me if you want specifics on where we're at.

I did PM you ;)

Pards Rule
08-22-2011, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=Pards Rule;516722]

Is this hotel choice (color scheme) some sort of wacky psycological thing for you?:rimshot:

http://www.redrivernightlife.com/mnodata/userphotos/41/105204-settle-inn--suites-of-fargo-3310-0.jpghttp://www.kfyrtv-videos.com/uploadfile/ndsu%20bison%20logo%20over%20green%20peacock%281%2 9.jpg

I thought it would be appropriate since I was in Bison country! Funny, its ironic isnt it? The chain is actually based out of Tenn. and the corporate parent also owns Guesthouse Suites. Settle Inn in mainly in Upper Midwest with about a dozen and a half sites as I read (I'm into hotels lol!)

Bogie
08-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Not that it matters one whit (which it truly doesn't) but Lafayette actually does have experience in a dome! In 1930 we played the world's very first indoor football game against Washington & Jefferson University in Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall.

W&J beat the Pards 7-0 in that game. Rutgers, Temple and Penn State were on our schedule that year as well. The important thing, though, is that we beat Lehigh 16-6 at the end of the season. Beating Lehigh is very important to us.

Twentysix
08-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Not that it matters one whit (which it truly doesn't) but Lafayette actually does have experience in a dome! In 1930 we played the world's very first indoor football game against Washington & Jefferson University in Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall.

W&J beat the Pards 7-0 in that game. Rutgers, Temple and Penn State were on our schedule that year as well. The important thing, though, is that we beat Lehigh 16-6 at the end of the season. Beating Lehigh is very important to us.

Clearly 1930's experience is going to allow you to crush us.

Pards Rule
08-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Clearly 1930's experience is going to allow you to crush us.

He didnt imply that at all - actually issued a caveat and said not that it matters one whit. It was a mere interesting point of reference. The fact remains that LC does NOT have experience in a dome.

WYOBISONMAN
08-23-2011, 01:58 PM
I was thinking (absent my own research) that Lafayette would be a pushover. I think not. This is going to be a real game and a real test of this Bison team that seems to have so much potential. It is gonna be a heck of a game.

Notorious
08-23-2011, 01:58 PM
I was thinking (absent my own research) that Lafayette would be a pushover. I think not. This is going to be a real game and a real test of this Bison team that seems to have so much potential. It is gonna be a heck of a game.

whale??????

WYOBISONMAN
08-23-2011, 02:02 PM
whale??????

O lord......I hope not......do not utter that word......it will NOT be a whale of a game!!!!!!

Twentysix
08-23-2011, 02:21 PM
He didnt imply that at all - actually issued a caveat and said not that it matters one whit. It was a mere interesting point of reference. The fact remains that LC does NOT have experience in a dome.

That my dear boy was sarcasm via phone.

tony
08-23-2011, 02:32 PM
I've been pretty impressed by how physical teams from out east have been. That wasn't so much the case when NDSU played Indiana (PA) and Edinboro because NDSU pretty much physically beat them down, but Millersville and Northeastern were all physical teams. I expect Lafayette to be better than those teams and a lot like Western Illinois has always been. Their huge offensive line should give our d-line a really good test.

Bison"FANatic"
08-23-2011, 02:42 PM
They definitely have some size up front. If they come in shape and well coached then they will really give our D a test. I hope they are in shape and well coached as it will be good for our D to not have Minnesota being the first team with a good O line that we face. I guess I don't expect Lafayette to have the mobility factor in their O line though. Should be a good way to start the season.

Twentysix
08-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Sounds like DJ Sam and the OL will rip them apart.

Their O could keep it interesting through.

Supposedly they are built to primarily play PL/IVY schools who dont pound the rock.

Sounds like our defense is going to be the ones who decide if the game is close.

Leopard fan
08-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Sounds like DJ Sam and the OL will rip them apart.

Their O could keep it interesting through.

Supposedly they are built to primarily play PL/IVY schools who dont pound the rock.

Sounds like our defense is going to be the ones who decide if the game is close.

We do tend to see more pass oriented teams in our league. However we have finished in the top 10 in the country several times over that last few years in rush D. Our D cordinator knows how to scheme to stop the run, but naturally our personnel needs to step up to the plate.

There is an article today about our D in the local paper. The general feeling is that our pass D will be strong, but the run D needs to improve. Stopping the run is a point of emphasis in camp.

http://blogs.mcall.com/sports/201...case-for-the-leopard-defense.html

I feel the one area where NDSU is clearly superior is running the ball. This is of course a very important aspect of the game. I still think the line for this game should be about 17 points, but we will have a hard time stopping your running game.

CAS4127
08-23-2011, 03:49 PM
By LFan:

We do tend to see more pass oriented teams in our league. However we have finished in the top 10 in the country several times over that last few years in rush D.

Hmmm . . . . . any correlation there??!!

Twentysix
08-23-2011, 03:51 PM
By LFan:

lmfao You gotta wonder.

I wonder how your rushing statistics would hold up if you played a MVFC schedule.

Not saying you wouldnt compete, just saying you wouldnt be top 10 in Rushing defense.

Example Montana State.

Average yards against montana state over the 2010 season including our game 153.1 per game.

NDSU rushing yards against Montana State +385 -9. Net rushing against Montana state 376 YDS.

When you play in a conference that doesnt pound 94% of the time this is what happens.

When you take out the NDSU game montana states AVG rushing YDS against is 130~.

We had 56 YDS passing in our 42-17 rout of the bigsky champion.

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg
--------------------------------------------

McNorton,D.J. 26 209 2 207 4 52 8.0
Sigers,Mike 7 67 0 67 1 25 9.6
Mohler,Jose 5 55 7 48 0 41 9.6
Jensen,Brock 6 28 0 28 1 9 4.7
Voigtlander,M 2 26 0 26 0 22 13.0
Totals... 46 385 9 376 6 52 8.2

Source: http://www.msubobcats.com/custompages/football/ndsu-msu.htm

Im not suggesting we will put 400 yds rushing on you. Im just saying when your not in a rush first league your rush D ranking might be a bit inflated.

pwbnd
08-23-2011, 04:18 PM
I still think the line for this game should be about 17 points, but we will have a hard time stopping your running game.

I think he's agreeing with you guys...everyone's expectations are that they're gonna have a hard time stopping D.J. and Sam.

Leopard fan
08-23-2011, 04:54 PM
By LFan:

Perhaps, but it's not like nobody runs the ball. Penn, Harvard, Yale, and especially Colgate like to run.

I know we are not going to stop the NDSU run game, but if we have a reasonable effort in that area the game will of course be closer.

Pards Rule
08-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Just making plans now - gotta get outta here - we just had earthquake

Tatanka
08-23-2011, 06:06 PM

Holy crap. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Civil06
08-23-2011, 06:08 PM

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/08/apparent-earthquake-rocks-washington-dc-area/1
5.8 in D.C. and a hurricane on the way.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/331463/
Might want to just get off the east coast for awhile...

Pards Rule
08-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Yeah - Im on the 5th floor of a midrise in downtown Wilmington DE. A 6.0 hit near Mineral VA (Fredericksburg VA area) and felt as far south as Greenville SC and as far west as Cleveland. Noticeable rocking of building. Evacuating buildings in NYC and PHL.

SamsRams
08-26-2011, 11:02 PM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/740TheFAN/114191185295301

740's interview with Lafayette head coach

I think he said there are no good looking ladies in Fargo..........them fighting words!!

BadlandsBison
08-27-2011, 04:34 AM

I think he said there are no good looking ladies in Fargo..........them fighting words!!

He hasn't ever been here obviously :)

Twentysix
08-27-2011, 04:37 AM

Illidans got four words for their coach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p73PZIDQuA

carney2
08-27-2011, 08:36 PM
22. Lafayette's Frank Tavani is 3-4 vs. ranked scholarship programs with only one blowout against him.

Scooter1
08-29-2011, 02:58 AM
22. Lafayette's Frank Tavani is 3-4 vs. ranked scholarship programs with only one blowout against him.

Hey, kind of like NDSU being 4-3 against Division I programs.....wait... no it isn't.:duel:

Just kidding... I didn't mean to disrepsect Lafartte University. :)

Lord, I appologize....

Let the good natured smack begin.....

Twentysix
08-29-2011, 06:38 AM
Hey, kind of like NDSU being 4-3 against Division I programs.....wait... no it isn't.:duel:

Just kidding... I didn't mean to disrepsect Lafartte University. :)

Lord, I appologize....

Let the good natured smack begin.....

you mean 2-2 against BCS programs(W Minnesota, Kansas. L Minnesota, Iowa State) and 2-1 against FBS(W Central Michigan, Ball State.L Wyoming) or 4-3 against FBS would also be correct.

NDSU is a division one program.

Scooter1
08-29-2011, 09:56 AM
you mean 2-2 against BCS programs(W Minnesota, Kansas. L Minnesota, Iowa State) and 2-1 against FBS(W Central Michigan, Ball State.L Wyoming) or 4-3 against FBS would also be correct.

NDSU is a division one program.

No, I intentionally wrote Division I.

First so there would be two reasons to type...no it isn't

Second so you would get the chance to be a dink. Congrats for taking the bait.

Twentysix
08-29-2011, 10:22 AM
No, I intentionally wrote Division I.

First so there would be two reasons to type...no it isn't

Second so you would get the chance to be a dink. Congrats for taking the bait.

Your welcome. The bridge called, they said amatuer hour is over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yldgS-ySo24&feature=related

BisoninNWMN
08-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Hopefully their fans that come to Fargo have a good experience but the Bison will be by far the best team they face all year.

It might take a few quarters to "figure" them out but this game should be a Bison win.

GO BISON

Scooter1
08-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Your welcome. The bridge called, they said amatuer hour is over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yldgS-ySo24&feature=related

it's all good.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhJfCh-jFDY

natstar1
08-30-2011, 12:59 AM
11. In the FCS, Lafayette is #6 all time in victories (650.) NDSU is #12 (613.)
Do you mean NCAA victories?

tony
08-30-2011, 01:10 AM
Do you mean NCAA victories?

The win-loss records come from the NCAA record book but include games played before schools were NCAA members and includes games against non-NCAA competition.

Pards Rule
08-30-2011, 12:19 PM
The win-loss records come from the NCAA record book but include games played before schools were NCAA members and includes games against non-NCAA competition.

And one must remember LC started football back in the 1880s!

pwbnd
08-30-2011, 01:05 PM
And one must remember LC started football back in the 1880s!

NDSU fielded it's first football team in 1894, so it's not like we're completely new to this sport either.

moosbah
08-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Like all our openers, we'll play like crap the first half, get our poop in a group at half and eeek out a win by a seemingly comfortable 10 points.:eeek:

Pards Rule
08-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Ready for my departure to FAR at 6:30 EST on Thursday!

Twentysix
08-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Ready for my departure to FAR at 6:30 EST on Thursday!

When is your plane arriving? Ill make sure to get the fan tunnel setup and ready for you to walk through. It will take me about 30 minutes to get the 300 or so people needed to make this happen available.

Pards Rule
08-31-2011, 03:15 AM
At 11Amish an American Beagle NONSTOP from Chicago!

Tatanka
08-31-2011, 03:56 AM
When is your plane arriving? Ill make sure to get the fan tunnel setup and ready for you to walk through. It will take me about 30 minutes to get the 300 or so people needed to make this happen available.

:rofl: Bullshit. It will take you a lot longer to find that many people, longer if you ask them all to wear yellow.

Tatanka
08-31-2011, 03:56 AM

Cool. Enjoy your time in Fargo... See you Saturday (and possibly Friday night?)

Twentysix
08-31-2011, 04:17 AM
:rofl: Bullshit. It will take you a lot longer to find that many people, longer if you ask them all to wear yellow.

Tatanka, I didn't want to have to say this but... You are cramping my style. :facepalm:

Pard please feel free to blame Tatanka for no fan tunnel. Its all his fault now im not even going to try.

It could have been WNBA awesome.

http://www.wnba.com/media/sparks/Candace__Fan_Tunnel.jpg

56BISON73
08-31-2011, 04:38 AM

Hey I would have done the fan tunnel AND WORE YELLOW.:)

OrygunBison
08-31-2011, 04:58 AM

Hey, leave the Amish out of this discussion, please.

Twentysix
08-31-2011, 05:00 AM
Hey, leave the Amish out of this discussion, please.

Hes coming from pensylvannia. The planes around those parts involve 11 amish people peddling for their lives. mmm ruby redbird shiner!

DjKyRo
08-31-2011, 06:25 AM
Lafayette suspends three players on unspecified team rules violations:

http://blogs.mcall.com/sports/2011/08/suspensions-are-a-punch-in-the-gut.html

Per another poster:

Of the 3 players suspended, Mputu was the only one guaranteed to be on the traveling squad this week to NDSU

He was the team's #2 RB. Not a grievous loss by any means, but the distraction certainly doesn't help Lafayette's chances. Not to make light of a player's suspension or turn that to an NDSU positive, but it is what it is.

Pards Rule
08-31-2011, 09:28 AM
Cool. Enjoy your time in Fargo... See you Saturday (and possibly Friday night?)

Yes and yes - Friday night at the pizza party - address on that place? Im really looking forward to Fargo! People think Im weird but I enjoy seeing new places and meeting new people. Some of my more interesting trips have been to places like Huntington WV and Kalamazoo MI (for business). Thats why I booked a day early.

Twentysix
08-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Yes and yes - Friday night at the pizza party - address on that place? Im really looking forward to Fargo! People think Im weird but I enjoy seeing new places and meeting new people. Some of my more interesting trips have been to places like Huntington WV and Kalamazoo MI (for business). Thats why I booked a day early.

Sammys is on broadway (code for 6th street) and around 2nd to 4th ave N Fargo is a giant grid. I assume you rented a car. In Fargo Streets go North and South with 1 exception that shouldnt concern you. Avenues go east and west.

Anything with a N in the address or roadsign means you are that many blocks north of main st. Anything with a S in the address or roadsign means you are that many blocks south of main.

Ex. 5th ave N (5 blocks north of main)

13th ave S (13 blocks south of main)

The streets start at the river (to the east which is the ND/MN border) and work there way west. So if you are on 40th street and need to get to 20th street you need to just drive east 20 blocks.

Fargo is a wonderfully easy to navigate grid city.

I hope this helps.

Sammys is 301 Broadway N.

So 6th street(which is called broadway) and 3rd avenue.

Broadway is 6th street and University is 13th street Pretty much nothing else you will be concerned with is named. If you hit Sheyenne you have ventured pretty far into west fargo which is a different city, just drive the opposite direction.

IzzyFlexion
08-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Sammys is on broadway (code for 6th street) and around 2nd to 4th ave N Fargo is a giant grid. I assume you rented a car. In Fargo Streets go North and South with 1 exception that shouldnt concern you. Avenues go east and west.

Anything with a N in the address or roadsign means you are that many blocks north of main st. Anything with a S in the address or roadsign means you are that many blocks south of main.

The streets start at the river (to the east which is the ND/MN border) and work there way west. So if you are on 40th street and need to get to 20th street you need to just drive east 20 blocks.

I hope this helps.

Broadway is 6th street and University is 13th street Pretty much nothing else you will be concerned with is named. If you hit Sheyenne you have ventured pretty far into west fargo which is a different city, just drive the opposite direction.

And, technically they are half blocks. For example, going from 12th Avenue North to 15th Avenue North is actually only 1 1/2 city blocks.

Pards Rule
08-31-2011, 12:30 PM

I hope this helps.

Thanks aplenty - if I can navigate the streets of Dallas with its maddening no reason name changes I think I can do Fargo.

runtheoption
08-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks aplenty - if I can navigate the streets of Dallas with its maddening no reason name changes I think I can do Fargo.

Yep, Fargo is possibly the easiest city in the googleverse to navigate.

coldspot
08-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Yep, Fargo is possibly the easiest city in the googleverse to navigate.

with the exception of certain parts of the residential sprawl on the south side.