stevdock
08-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Any idea who wrote this ;)

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/329706/group/Opinion/

BisonBabe
08-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Any idea who wrote this ;)

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/329706/group/Opinion/

Swag read this to me on our drive in this morning. Kudos to our own for getting off the pot and bringing this into the open. For far to long we have kept the discussion about the security personel to this board. I am glad this is finally being brought to light. Perhaps now something will be done.

Or am is it just wishful thinking.

perthbison
08-08-2011, 01:27 PM
was this article in the Forum? Really?

roadwarrior
08-08-2011, 01:35 PM
was this article in the Forum? Really?

On the opinion page.

Notorious
08-08-2011, 01:49 PM
The op piece was well written. If I was in a position to influence the FD Security, I would view it as "constructive criticism" and look for ways to improve security, rather than get upset and defensive, which is the likely response.

Tatanka
08-08-2011, 02:19 PM
If I was in a position to influence the FD Security, I would view it as "constructive criticism" and look for ways to improve security, rather than get upset and defensive, which is the likely response.

I hope you're wrong, but I believe you're going to be 100% correct.

KilldeerBison
08-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Good job DJ! We need these things brought to light. Finally, a real shot across the bow, the pen is more powerful than the sword.

BisonBabe
08-08-2011, 02:57 PM
The op piece was well written. If I was in a position to influence the FD Security, I would view it as "constructive criticism" and look for ways to improve security, rather than get upset and defensive, which is the likely response.

I hope you're wrong, but I believe you're going to be 100% correct.

I thought that the letter was well written bringing light to obvious issues that need to be addressed. I would think that the NDSU Athletic department should be aware of this issue as there have been issues in the past and also that the FargoDome Management needs to be aware of this as well if they are not.

I think that all in all the letter was respectful but did call out that there is a problem. For years there have been pleas from Coach Bohl that we the fans need to be in the game well if we are into the game cheering on our team then we should not have to fear that we will be hauled out of the game for doing just that.

Hopefully this letter does what is intended and gets all parties on the same page for once.

DjKyRo
08-08-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm wondering where they got this information:

Roth is an on-air radio personality and contributing writer to Bison Illustrated.

Does this mean I'm famous?

Tatanka
08-08-2011, 03:00 PM
I thought that the letter was well written bringing light to obvious issues that need to be addressed. I would think that the NDSU Athletic department should be aware of this issue as there have been issues in the past and also that the FargoDome Management needs to be aware of this as well if they are not.

I think that all in all the letter was respectful but did call out that there is a problem. For years there have been pleas from Coach Bohl that we the fans need to be in the game well if we are into the game cheering on our team then we should not have to fear that we will be hauled out of the game for doing just that.

Hopefully this letter does what is intended and gets all parties on the same page for once.

Agreed on all points. I'm just concerned that the words will fall on deaf ears or worse.

Bison bison
08-08-2011, 03:45 PM

That's the first step to being famous for being famous.

NorthernBison
08-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Agreed on all points. I'm just concerned that the words will fall on deaf ears or worse.

If this was only about Bison football fans vs Fargodome Security, the letter would likely have zero effect. Just another disgruntled Bison fan venting to most readers.

The fact that DJ pointed out working with Security at a Summer Event and alluded to the same attitudes brings a whole new demographic into the picture. That gives me hope that this did not fall on deaf ears.

ndsubison1
08-08-2011, 04:31 PM

just a little hint. it starts with a B and ends with an E

DjKyRo
08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
What I do want to point out to everyone is that that's about half of what I originally wrote and the Forum seems to have picked and chosen what it wanted to include. The original letter was far less critical (and in fact complimentary) of the staff.

BadlandsBison
08-08-2011, 04:46 PM
What I do want to point out to everyone is that that's about half of what I originally wrote and the Forum seems to have picked and chosen what it wanted to include. The original letter was far less critical (and in fact complimentary) of the staff.

Interesting. Would've like to have seen the full article. One thing for sure is that things will change, they always do.

BisonBabe
08-08-2011, 04:47 PM

Editing at its finest. Perhaps you would be so kind as to post the complete letter for us?

Notorious
08-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Editing at its finest. Perhaps you would be so kind as to post the complete letter for us?

Or have your publicist do so....

DjKyRo
08-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Full letter:

As the 2011 college football season grows closer, one big issue stands in the way of allowing Bison fans to truly enjoy a Division I game day atmosphere. That issue is the environment at home football games, with regard to select members of the FargoDome security staff.

By and large, the staffers have plenty of very courteous and respectful members in their ranks, but as with most social groups, a few bad eggs can put a black mark on the rest. All last season, stories surfaced of dome security personnel overstepping their bounds with insults, thraeats, and in some cases outright maliciousness in pursuit of what some thought of as more of an ego trip than an honest concern in the safety and security of dome patrons.

Last season's late-November playoff game versus Robert Morris was an eye-opener. One Bison fan was arrested for standing on a metallic lip that rings the front row of seats, tackled by police and security forces despite following the orders of a dome security guard. Another student was removed from the building and had a report filed by the security forces with the university for doing nothing more than cheering for his team, breaking the proverbial camel's back when he looked at a security guard, smiled, and clapped following a discourse between the two parties, and this after being called a few names by the security staffer that aren't appropriate for a public newspaper.

I myself had the opportunity to work alongside Fargodome security at a summer event, and the impression I received was that select Dome staffers were more interested in touting their authority than were they about providing an enjoyable and safe atmosphere for fans and patrons. There are a number of security staffers that come off as incredibly arrogant, rude, disrespectful, and almost tyrannic in their zealotry to suppress elation in any form at a Fargodome event.

What this does not reflect is the professionalism and courtesy other staffers show to guests at the Fargodome. A frequent image on NDSU promotional material shows Bison Football players hoisting the Dakota Marker with a security staffer in the background raising her hands in celebration. I feel this truly reflects what security staff should aspire to, and I commend this staffer on fostering a positive environment at the FargoDome. Working security is certainly a thankless job and while I can understand that it can be a frustrating occupation (particularly when working with rowdy college students), certain steps of professionalism are still applicable to their role in the NDSU gameday atmosphere.

My challenge to others is stand up for your rights at a sports game or other event and to legitimately pursue any illicit activity the security staff may indulge themselves in. I also challenge the Fargodome administration to seek better training and better accountability for the security guards that have left fans too afraid and too nervous to attend sporting events for fear of being ostracized and physically and verbally harassed by individuals who are on nothing more than a power trip.

NDSU Head Coach Craig Bohl is on record himself as imploring fans to be loud and proud at Bison Football games, and I hope that the actions of a very few security guards don't hamper what is a rising star in the world of college football.

Kyle Roth, NDSU Class of '12

A1pigskin
08-08-2011, 05:05 PM
I watched Fargo PD haul the guy away that this article referrs to.

BisonBabe
08-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Full letter:

While they did some creative editing. I think most of the important parts were left intact. Thank you for taking the time to write this letter hopefully it will do what you intended.

I challenge everyone here on Bisonville to take action like this when you are upset instead of just ranting on here. Remember nothing will change if we do not work to change it ourselves.

bri-dog
08-08-2011, 05:37 PM

I missed it -- I was stil in my seat trying to finish the last chapter of the book I was reading and none of the bastards around me would sit down. ;)

DjKyRo
08-08-2011, 05:39 PM
I missed it -- I was stil in my seat trying to finish the last chapter of the book I was reading and none of the bastards around me would sit down. ;)

How'd that quilt turn out, anyway?

bri-dog
08-08-2011, 05:47 PM
How'd that quilt turn out, anyway?

LOL -- not finished yet, maybe I can finish it at the Gopher game.

Seriously, though, this is a picture I took during the Robert Morris game.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/bflaagan/bookreader.jpg

Great letter, btw...

See you in Mpls.

MNLonghorn10
08-08-2011, 06:05 PM

i started the thread

mango
08-08-2011, 06:15 PM

I'm wondering if letters to the editor have a certain word limit. Most papers do, so that may be why they had to cut some of the stuff out.

EndZoneQB
08-08-2011, 07:29 PM

As it turns out, so did I!

gotts
08-08-2011, 07:42 PM

Would you say you "lived" said experience?

NorthernBison
08-08-2011, 07:46 PM

Must look a LOT like Joe Chapman to get treated like that in Fargo.

EndZoneQB
08-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Would you say you "lived" said experience?

More or less.

Must look a LOT like Joe Chapman to get treated like that in Fargo.

I actually think I heard them calling him Joe and Mr. Chapman? Could have been a coincidence...or? :hide:

westnodak93bison
08-09-2011, 04:01 AM
I haven't had problems with the dome security. I have had issues with older fans sitting behind me scolding me for standing, cheering and having fun. We need a designated fuddy duddy fan section imho.

EndZoneQB
08-09-2011, 04:46 AM
I haven't had problems with the dome security. I have had issues with older fans sitting behind me scolding me for standing, cheering and having fun. We need a designated fuddy duddy fan section imho.

The problem generally starts when said scolders involve the security. It is a tough spot for the security personnel but frankly they should be prepared for issues like this one.

A1pigskin
08-09-2011, 01:01 PM

Yes you did. I was going to high 5 you but you looked a little busy with your hands tied.

MNLonghorn10
08-09-2011, 01:43 PM

i heard the student section will probably have room for these folk

EndZoneQB
08-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Yes you did. I was going to high 5 you but you looked a little busy with your hands tied.

I'm not sure three cops were enough tho, so my high five probably would have been physically threatening, so thank you! haha