PDA

View Full Version : Fall Practice Updates

DjKyRo
08-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Creating this thread in anticipation of observer reports and other observations for fall camp. I'll be posting all my BI.com updates in here as well.

Anyone headed out to the practice field at 3:30 today?

BISON1434er
08-05-2011, 02:33 AM
Anyone practice updates? Or is everybody at We Fest?

tony
08-05-2011, 02:49 AM
Jeff Kolpack has ya covered:

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2011/08/04/day-no-1-no-apparent-no-shows/

westnodak93bison
08-05-2011, 03:16 AM
Was there a Danell Miles sighting?

DjKyRo
08-05-2011, 03:30 AM
The BI.com update is in the tubes of the internet, but a few teasers before it goes live tomorrow:

- Wes Hudson will find a way to get touches between the 1-2-3 punch of McNorton, Ojuri (who I've got penciled in as the #2 RB) and Lang.
- Vraa's route-running is tight, which this team needs.
- Ryan Smith heard me talking down on his pass-catching in the spring and decided to spite me, had a few sick catches going deep today (including one along the sideline).
- Tyler Gefroh had a pick-six as SOLB.
- I really like watching Tyler Roehl coach. He channels the same fire that Polasek does but relates to the players as students. Bright future ahead of him.
- Coach Polasek's fishing hat is awesome.

More detailed notes on tomorrow, and I'll be back out there Saturday with notes on tomorrow's media day presser. Also interviewing Brock and Warren tomorrow and will get audio up on here if possible.

On Danell Miles: He isn't listed on the roster so I had no way to gauge if he was there or not. I didn't hear the name get yelled, so I'm assuming he's not here. Take those observations for what they're worth.

56BISON73
08-05-2011, 03:37 AM
The BI.com update is in the tubes of the internet, but a few teasers before it goes live tomorrow:

- Wes Hudson will find a way to get touches between the 1-2-3 punch of McNorton, Ojuri (who I've got penciled in as the #2 RB) and Lang.
- Ryan Smith heard me talking down on his pass-catching in the spring and decided to spite me, had a few sick catches going deep today (including one along the sideline).
- I really like watching Tyler Roehl coach. He channels the same fire that Polasek does but relates to the players as students. Bright future ahead of him.

More detailed notes on tomorrow, and I'll be back out there Saturday with notes on tomorrow's media day presser. Also interviewing Brock and Warren tomorrow and will get audio up on here if possible.

On Danell Miles: He isn't listed on the roster so I had no way to gauge if he was there or not. I didn't hear the name get yelled, so I'm assuming he's not here. Take those observations for what they're worth.

Well done!!!!

DjKyRo
08-05-2011, 03:46 AM
Well done!!!!

Thanks, and happy to put up what my rookie football mind allows me to observe. By all means, folks, post up specific position battles you want to see mentioned and I'll write up what I see at practice.

CaBisonFan
08-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Tyler will keep the troops fired up. It's a great thing. He embodies the spirit of Bison football.

mnriverbison
08-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Your entire post

Thanks a ton and keep it coming!

I'm never sure if I should get excited about big plays at practice or in a scrimmage. If we get a pick-6 should we be excited for our D or frightened for our QB? Ditto for a long TD play. Not that I'm complaining. I don't have to tell anyone around here how nice it is to hear about actual football.

DjKyRo
08-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Here are the full notes from yesterday: http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=670

DjKyRo
08-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Anywho, just tweeted a number of things about Media Day. A few things to take away that I've machinated on in the BSB: http://ndsubisonsports.areavoices.com/2011/08/05/ndsu-media-day-notes/

Quick blurbs:

1). Team not looking past Lafayette and St. Francis.
2). Jensen is "not a solid number-one guy, but a number-one guy" from Bohl.
3.) Receiver is an area of concern.
4). Kyle Emmanuel might be the starting RE.
5). Veldman needs his confidence back.

Something I didn't put in the BSB is that Jeff Jerve will not be playing until probably after the bye week. Bohl mentioned that Holloway and Jemison are progressing well and are starting slow in camp but will be full-speed by Lafayette.

Notorious
08-05-2011, 05:15 PM

That's interesting...to say the least.

DjKyRo
08-05-2011, 05:17 PM
That's interesting...to say the least.

Indeed it is. Brock had a very interesting comment that I made a note of on the 'Blog, along the lines of "I don't consider myself a lock at the position, I've gotta fight for it every day just like everybody else."

Particularly with the lack of success Dante has had and with Esley coming off meniscus surgery, it's an intriguing bout of comments about the state of the QB job. That said, I'm pretty confident in Brock.

BlueBisonRock
08-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Indeed it is. Brock had a very interesting comment that I made a note of on the 'Blog, along the lines of "I don't consider myself a lock at the position, I've gotta fight for it every day just like everybody else."

Particularly with the lack of success Dante has had and with Esley coming off meniscus surgery, it's an intriguing bout of comments about the state of the QB job. That said, I'm pretty confident in Brock.

I wouldn't make to much about the meniscus surgery. I am in the 'older than dirt' age group and had this surgery about 4 years ago. I was off of the crutches in less than 24 hours and was walking extensively the day following surgery. The only exposure depends on how the surgery is performed as there may be some bone on bone touches at times. BTW, this will differ significantly from the osteoarthritis bone on bone conditions that many who were foolish during their youth (self included. other knee).

If Esley is pushing Brock, it will take more than miniscus surgery to slow him down.

DjKyRo
08-05-2011, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't make to much about the meniscus surgery. I am in the 'older than dirt' age group and had this surgery about 4 years ago. I was off of the crutches in less than 24 hours and was walking extensively the day following surgery. The only exposure depends on how the surgery is performed as there may be some bone on bone touches at times. BTW, this will differ significantly from the osteoarthritis bone on bone conditions that many who were foolish during their youth (self included. other knee).

If Esley is pushing Brock, it will take more than miniscus surgery to slow him down.

Good point. I suppose thinking back to Gratzek is a good reminder too, he had the joint cleaned out and was back in games in two weeks.

ISXBISON
08-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Nice work DJ--Thanks for the updates--keep them coming!

aces1180
08-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Was there a Danell Miles sighting?

According to Kolpack's Twitter, he was academically ineligible at NDSU and will attend a different school.

EndZoneQB
08-05-2011, 09:12 PM
According to Kolpack's Twitter, he was academically ineligible at NDSU and will attend a different school.

Damnit. I was excited, he looked like he had some talent.

MN_BISON
08-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Creating this thread in anticipation of observer reports and other observations for fall camp. I'll be posting all my BI.com updates in here as well.

Anyone headed out to the practice field at 3:30 today?

When are you going to get with the times and get some DjKyRo video blogs going? Come on man, this isn't 2001, it's all about the video blog.:facepalm2:
:D

DjKyRo
08-06-2011, 12:36 AM
When are you going to get with the times and get some DjKyRo video blogs going? Come on man, this isn't 2001, it's all about the video blog.:facepalm2:
:D

Hey, I'm a radio guy for a reason. :(

BlueBisonRock
08-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Hey, I'm a radio guy for a reason. :(

And to you, our own radio jock, a song filled with premonition and advice:

Radio Star (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqegYaxKuc0)

TheBisonator
08-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Acclim Number Three was today on Dacotah. Anyone go today?? Anything new??

DjKyRo
08-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Acclim Number Three was today on Dacotah. Anyone go today?? Anything new??

I didn't make it out.

ADDENDUM: I have a meeting at the BSA tomorrow around 10:30 so I'll be able to make the first hour of tomorrow's acclimatization practice.

MN_BISON
08-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Tweet from Jeff Schwartz: #NDSUBison football closes out practice No. 4. Great energy, good tempo. Picks by FS Daniel Eaves & CB CJ Smith. RB Sam Ojuri churning away.

tjbison
08-07-2011, 11:18 PM
I am so pumped for this season It made me start posting here again:hide: :)

and checking out AGS and CS.com

oh and I even strolled thru Panther Nation

TheBisonator
08-07-2011, 11:20 PM
I am so pumped for this season It made me start posting here again:hide: :)

and checking out AGS and CS.com

oh and I even strolled thru Panther Nation

I'm avoiding CS.com until Lakes and JBB are banned from there. They both are singlehandedly making the NDSU fan base the Number One target amongst all fans on that board.

ndsubison1
08-07-2011, 11:30 PM
i always forget about wes hudson. i guess hes a little over shadowed by DJ and Ojuri...

tjbison
08-07-2011, 11:48 PM
i always forget about wes hudson. i guess hes a little over shadowed by DJ and Ojuri...

We are cocked and loaded, if we can do any passing this year look out. DJ and Sam 1 and 2 and Esley is a very reliable backup QB, the O-line sounds like they have busted ass and are working out great. There is no reason to NOT be pumped up!!!

BisoninNWMN
08-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Is Brock the "sure-thing" #1 or can Esley beat him out?

If Brock continues his 45-50% completion percent, the coaches have to look at Esley, IMO.

I believe he will come out of practice the #1 but we need him to improve significantly on his compl. %

ndsubison1
08-08-2011, 01:34 AM

im interested in the interior DL battle.

tjbison
08-08-2011, 01:44 AM
im interested in the interior DL battle.

I hope Levon Perry can step up and fill in for big G, he will really be missed and Levon kind of reminds me of a Christian Dallas. One thing I was wondering is, has Jemison healed up from his surgery?

DjKyRo
08-08-2011, 02:04 AM
Is Brock the "sure-thing" #1 or can Esley beat him out?

If Brock continues his 45-50% completion percent, the coaches have to look at Esley, IMO.

I believe he will come out of practice the #1 but we need him to improve significantly on his compl. %

The best answer I can give you is what I already posted - quote Bohl, "I wouldn't call it a 'solid' number-one, but Brock is our number-one guy." I'm 100% positive he will remain number one through at least the first three games regardless of his performance. The nice thing about this season is that we don't start conference play until week 4, whereas last season it was already week 2 that our team's weaknesses left us in a hole to start conference play. I'd consider those first three games plus the bye week to be the crucible where Brock needs to prove himself.

Given Bohl's solidarity at quarterback retention, I would be surprised if a 50% completion rate from Brock warranted losing his spot to Esley. Brock has the benefit of playoff experience, which Mohler didn't have going in to last season, and the general idea is that he's understanding the playbook better. He himself told Kolpack that he's well aware that the passing game needs to improve and I get the idea that he'll be better.

Really I think it'd take a pretty disastrous first few games for Brock to lose out the starting job, and even an average performance would make him the guy long-term. One thing he understands, though, is that while the position is his to lose, it's not gift-wrapped to him. He needs to keep working, and he will.

DjKyRo
08-08-2011, 02:05 AM
I hope Levon Perry can step up and fill in for big G, he will really be missed and Levon kind of reminds me of a Christian Dallas. One thing I was wondering is, has Jemison healed up from his surgery?

As I noted in the blog link I posted, both Jemison and Holloway are still recovering from offseason surgeries but are still practicing and are working their way up to full speed. It's a near-certainty that both will be good to go by Lafayette.

tjbison
08-08-2011, 02:07 AM
As I noted in the blog link I posted, both Jemison and Holloway are still recovering from offseason surgeries but are still practicing and are working their way up to full speed. It's a near-certainty that both will be good to go by Lafayette.

sorry didnt read the blog

DjKyRo
08-08-2011, 02:10 AM
sorry didnt read the blog

That makes kitten sad:

http://www.noahhendrix.com/images/sad_kitten.jpg

tjbison
08-08-2011, 02:12 AM
That makes kitten sad:

http://www.noahhendrix.com/images/sad_kitten.jpg

Well nothing against you DJ just have not been around here for awhile so I didnt bother to read thru every thread in my "new posts" section

56BISON73
08-08-2011, 02:12 AM
The best answer I can give you is what I already posted - quote Bohl, "I wouldn't call it a 'solid' number-one, but Brock is our number-one guy." I'm 100% positive he will remain number one through at least the first three games regardless of his performance. The nice thing about this season is that we don't start conference play until week 4, whereas last season it was already week 2 that our team's weaknesses left us in a hole to start conference play. I'd consider those first three games plus the bye week to be the crucible where Brock needs to prove himself.

Given Bohl's solidarity at quarterback retention, I would be surprised if a 50% completion rate from Brock warranted losing his spot to Esley. Brock has the benefit of playoff experience, which Mohler didn't have going in to last season, and the general idea is that he's understanding the playbook better. He himself told Kolpack that he's well aware that the passing game needs to improve and I get the idea that he'll be better.

Really I think it'd take a pretty disastrous first few games for Brock to lose out the starting job, and even an average performance would make him the guy long-term. One thing he understands, though, is that while the position is his to lose, it's not gift-wrapped to him. He needs to keep working, and he will.

Completion % can be misleading to a certain degree. Was he hurried? Were his receiver able to get open. etc.
I think his job depends on more than %.
For example if the Bison are 3-0 at the juncture and hes passing at 40% with no vital errors why would you pull him?
Overall performance will be the key.

DjKyRo
08-08-2011, 02:16 AM
Completion % can be misleading to a certain degree. Was he hurried? Were his receiver able to get open. etc.
For example if the Bison are 3-0 at the juncture and hes passing at 40% with no vital errors why would you pull him?

True points all. From the receiver angle, I truly think we're going to see significant improvement on the WR side of the passing equation. Zach Vraa's ability to fulfill the stereotypical white receiver notion of "good hands, good route running" is pretty impressive to watch. Everything the guy does is just tighter than any other receiver we have, and the difference is going to be visible on the field. He's not as fast as Gebhart but I think Zach is going to be a kind of "safety valve" guy, similar to what Sidney Rice was able to be for the Vikings in 2009. Always able to get open, maybe not for big gains but for first downs and chunks of yards where they're needed. Could be the big red zone target after Veldman with his height. With Gebhart as the burner I really like where our WRs are headed and while this might be a year of improvement, in 2-3 years our passing attack will look dramatically different.

GrainGuy_ND
08-08-2011, 02:46 AM

The issue will be whether Brock can move the football DOWN the field. Of the 40% completion rate how many completions are screens and short dump passes? He needs to improve accuracy down the field so the coaches can be confident to throw. The play calls last year made me feel the coaches didn't have faith in his ability to stretch the field vertically. That's when Holloway can be dangerous.

DjKyRo
08-08-2011, 02:59 AM
The play calls last year made me feel the coaches didn't have faith in his ability to stretch the field vertically. That's when Holloway can be dangerous.

See Holloway, Warren, 184 yards vs. Western Illinois. Good stuff.

No_Skill
08-08-2011, 03:04 AM
The way I see it, there is only one way that Brock isn't the QB for the entire year:

Injury.

Given the recent history with Mertens...Brock is the guy for the entire year.

DjKyRo
08-08-2011, 03:08 AM
The way I see it, there is only one way that Brock isn't the QB for the entire year:

Injury.

My approximate thought too, for what it counts. It'd be interesting to see a parallel history where Jose didn't get injured at Morgan State to see what the rest of the season would've played out like.

Siouxfallsbison
08-08-2011, 03:16 AM

Injury.

Let's just say I had a nice talk with one of the receivers and sounds like things are coming together . Today was sluggish for the wideouts but yesterday Was a great day. Barring injuries I think the passing came is going to be much improved. Can't wait:)

No_Skill
08-08-2011, 03:20 AM
Let's just say I had a nice talk with one of the receivers and sounds like things are coming together . Today was sluggish for the wideouts but yesterday Was a great day. Barring injuries I think the passing came is going to be much improved. Can't wait:)

Don't get me wrong. I'm pretty confident with Brock as the QB and I'm very hopeful for an improved passing game all around this season.

Siouxfallsbison
08-08-2011, 03:27 AM
I agree with you. Brock is the man. My point is Gebhart, vraa, and smith are going to make our passing game so much better than last year and with a healthy Holloway ..."..... Look out

344Johnson
08-08-2011, 03:44 AM

It couldn't have gotten any worse. If it is improved, we will be scary.

perthbison
08-08-2011, 03:54 AM
The issue will be whether Brock can move the football DOWN the field. Of the 40% completion rate how many completions are screens and short dump passes? He needs to improve accuracy down the field so the coaches can be confident to throw. The play calls last year made me feel the coaches didn't have faith in his ability to stretch the field vertically. That's when Holloway can be dangerous.

your probably right in the coaches confidence. At least I hope that is their reason for not going down field once in a while. I'm anxious to see how it goes this season, especially the conference season.

SDbison
08-08-2011, 03:55 AM
I agree with you. Brock is the man. My point is Gebhart, vraa, and smith are going to make our passing game so much better than last year and with a healthy Holloway ..."..... Look out
I am confident Brock will be much improved this year. He had some great experience last year and many of the missed passes were due to drops and poor play calls.

Herd
08-08-2011, 04:21 AM
Step 1 will be to have a balanced pass/run gameplan, with high expectations for both. Last year's low expectations for the passing game gave us no balance and low performance. You'll get improvement if you expect it, and call a gameplan that reflects your trust in our QB.

stevdock
08-08-2011, 01:04 PM
As always the most important part of the passing game will be to keep our QB on his feet, i.e. UNI. After the Oline does their job everything else is much easier. If there are problems up front this year, at least we will have 3 games to get it figured out before conference play unlike last year.

A1pigskin
08-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Anywho, just tweeted a number of things about Media Day. A few things to take away that I've machinated on in the BSB: http://ndsubisonsports.areavoices.com/2011/08/05/ndsu-media-day-notes/

Quick blurbs:

1). Team not looking past Lafayette and St. Francis.
3.) Receiver is an area of concern.
4). Kyle Emmanuel might be the starting RE.
5). Veldman needs his confidence back.

Something I didn't put in the BSB is that Jeff Jerve will not be playing until probably after the bye week. Bohl mentioned that Holloway and Jemison are progressing well and are starting slow in camp but will be full-speed by Lafayette.

I'd like to see #2 and #3 improve.

DjKyRo
08-09-2011, 03:56 AM
OK, only got out to the morning practice briefly and got my dates mixed up thinking it was a two-a-day today. Saw Joe Horvath and Anthony LaVoy working out with the number 1's, and Kyle Emmanuel is, IMO, a pretty good chance to start. Dude is a baller.

Also, Matt Veldman had a sweet one-handed over-the-top catch that would've equalled a long touchdown in a game. The passing game is going to benefit with him on the field.

That's all from today, sorry. :o I'll have more stuff tomorrow.

17>1
08-09-2011, 04:04 AM
I've made it out to 2 practices so far, Friday and Sunday. Not really sure what to report on. Thought maybe someone was wondering if Jemison and Holloway are practicing and they are. Brandon is a beast. Vraa, Gebhart and Ryan Smith will be seeing alot of snaps in the WR position. Turner is playing LT, not sure if that's been covered. I got to watch the #1 O and #1 D square off as well as the 2's and it really made me realize how deep we are. Alot of the guys that are second on the depth chart will get playing time. Juckem got a ride on the motorized cart but I'm not clear on what his injury was or if there was one at all. Possible concussion or heat related issues. Just pure speculation of course. Fire away questions and I'll see if I can answer them from what I saw.

EndZoneQB
08-09-2011, 04:40 AM
Also, Matt Veldman had a sweet one-handed over-the-top catch that would've equalled a long touchdown in a game. The passing game is going to benefit with him on the field.

Not to talk down about Mr. Veldman, but I've seen him make some outstanding plays in practice before...

DjKyRo
08-09-2011, 04:42 AM
Not to talk down about Mr. Veldman, but I've seen him make some outstanding plays in practice before...

Too true.

TransAmBison
08-09-2011, 12:39 PM
8>1...Thanks for your take on practice. What did you think of the QB play?

A1pigskin
08-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Yesterday on Dizzo's den there was discussions about the QB position. Jensen will have to improve his game to stay the starter.

17>1
08-09-2011, 03:11 PM
I thought the QB's looked ok. The timing isn't quite there on the deep ball yet, saw several overthrows or underthrows. Good coverage by the corners though too so that makes a difference. Definitely Brocks job to lose. Dante was wearing street clothes on Sunday. Maybe to allow someone else to practice? All in all, it looked like the first couple days of practice. Improvement is bound to happen.

JustinTyem
08-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Yesterday on Dizzo's den there was discussions about the QB position. Jensen will have to improve his game to stay the starter.

where can I find this info about yesturday,I have been looking for it and I havent found anything yet???

tolnabison
08-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Hows the CB position looked?
We all know MWill, will be our number 1, but who will start opposite of him? Plus who will be our nickel? Boyd? Dudzik? Shepard? Colvin? How have they looked? I like the potential with Boyd being a JUCO guy and Shepard starting all last year as a Freshman. Dudzik just switched to corner and Colvin was a top recruit. Any news on how they have looked? Maybe some of the freshman will be the answer?

Also, who is rotating with Perry and Drevlow at DT?

MN_BISON
08-09-2011, 06:55 PM
where can I find this info about yesturday,I have been looking for it and I havent found anything yet???

Have those dipsh!ts at WDAY figured out how to podcast Dandy Dom's show yet. What is it, 1999 over there? Serious, frickin' DjKyRo podcasts his stuff from a campus radio station and these asshats over at WDAY can't firgue it out, sad really, good thing NDSU got off that sinking ship.

RiverBison15
08-09-2011, 07:33 PM
I was just wondering how the freshman have looked? Has Wentz wow'd any of you or does Oakland look good?

ndsubison1
08-09-2011, 07:42 PM
I dont think Okland has practiced yet. He's having some issues with the clearninghouse

17>1
08-10-2011, 04:40 AM
To be honest, I haven't paid too much attention to the corner position. I've seen Dudzik taking alot of snaps with the 1's but other than he and Mwill, haven't noticed too much else. I mentioned the coverage of our receivers has been pretty solid though so that's encouraging. Interior D line is something else I haven't paid any attention to which is something I should probably do, since that's probably the biggest hole on the team to fill. Only really paid attention to Brock and Esley too as far as QB's go. Sorry I wasn't really any help for the specific questions an earlier poster was wondering about, but I'll check it out when I hit practice again. I was having issues with my Iphone trying to bring up an updated roster so there were a couple of #'s I didn't recognize, so I wasn't even sure who I was watching a few times.

ndsubison1
08-10-2011, 05:09 AM
Take this with a grain of salt cuz I wasnt at practice too long and it was only a couple of plays but Shepperd made a few nice plays on the ball knocking it away from one of our receivers and another play covered the WR well. I think he will help us quite a bit.

ndsubison1
08-10-2011, 05:14 AM
Also noticed I believe Grant Olson was in street clothes...

The Lost Dutchman
08-10-2011, 11:36 AM
I thought Ryan Stanford looked good yesterday and had several nice throws. He seems to be really athletic with a nice cannon. Esley looks like he's nearing 100% from his surgery. He didn't look anything special at all yesterday. Brock didn't seem on target with his deep throws. Didn't really see enough of Carson Wentz to form an observation.

D.J. and Sam both looked really good yesterday and seem ready to go.

Coulter Boyer hurt his knee about 15 to 20 minutes into the afternoon practice. They did all the tests, he seemed to try and continue through out practice.

THEsocalledfan
08-10-2011, 02:36 PM
I thought Ryan Stanford looked good yesterday and had several nice throws. He seems to be really athletic with a nice cannon. Esley looks like he's nearing 100% from his surgery. He didn't look anything special at all yesterday. Brock didn't seem on target with his deep throws. Didn't really see enough of Carson Wentz to form an observation.

D.J. and Sam both looked really good yesterday and seem ready to go.

Coulter Boyer hurt his knee about 15 to 20 minutes into the afternoon practice. They did all the tests, he seemed to try and continue through out practice.

Those were his best throws last year; please let this just be an early camp thing..... :hide:

The Lost Dutchman
08-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Thoughts on morning practice:

Quarterbacks and wide receievers struggled. Lots of forced throws as well lots of drops. No quarterbacks stood out

Tight Ends look like an absolute strength for this team. Kevin Vaadeland and Taylor Nelson both looked really good and made several nice catches.

Jordan Champion looked like an absolute beast so far. I expect him to be instant impact for the DB position. Christian Dudzik also looked really impressive and made several nice plays. Eaves and Williams were both solid us usual.

DjKyRo
08-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Jordan Champion looked like an absolute beast so far. I expect him to be instant impact for the DB position. Christian Dudzik also looked really impressive and made several nice plays. Eaves and Williams were both solid us usual.

With a name like Champion, is anyone here honestly surprised that he's a total animal out there?

RedRiver
08-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Good to see John Crockett at practice this morning. He's getting ready for next year!

DjKyRo
08-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Stopped by this afternoon, not a lot to talk on but here's what I've got:

Christian Dudzik is getting some big time at corner with the first-teamers, had a good afternoon with a pick off a botched Zach Vraa reception and sniffed out a few plays for some stops behind the line including a sack. Keeps working when he's fatigued and seems like he could evolve into a real leader on defense.

Jordan Champion is as good as advertised and, in my opinion, might not redshirt.

Grant Olson was wearing a cross-jersey, so Ming's report that he was sidelined was likely accurate. Still played today so must not be too serious.

Eaves had his elbow wrapped but looked fine.

Dom Izzo tweeted this about a minute ago:

2 more #Bison football players suffer concussions at practice, Sam Ojuri and Tyler Gimmestad, more tonight at 10 on @wdaynews #FCS #NDSU

HerdBot
08-12-2011, 01:41 AM
Stopped by this afternoon, not a lot to talk on but here's what I've got:

Christian Dudzik is getting some big time at corner with the first-teamers, had a good afternoon with a pick off a botched Zach Vraa reception and sniffed out a few plays for some stops behind the line including a sack. Keeps working when he's fatigued and seems like he could evolve into a real leader on defense.

Jordan Champion is as good as advertised and, in my opinion, might not redshirt.

Grant Olson was wearing a cross-jersey, so Ming's report that he was sidelined was likely accurate. Still played today so must not be too serious.

Eaves had his elbow wrapped but looked fine.

Dom Izzo tweeted this about a minute ago:

Concussions are tough these days. Seems like they used to play them right away. Now they can last anywhere from a few days to 6 months if your Justin Morneau. Thats 3 or 4 players. Juckem, Ojuri, Gimmestad

HerdBot
08-12-2011, 01:45 AM
Good to see John Crockett at practice this morning. He's getting ready for next year!

In pumped. Crockett and Ojuri will be big time.

SDbison
08-12-2011, 02:02 AM
Concussions are tough these days. Seems like they used to play them right away. Now they can last anywhere from a few days to 6 months if your Justin Morneau. Thats 3 or 4 players. Juckem, Ojuri, Gimmestad
I agree. The coaches and trainers have gone soft. The doctors are too scared of a lawsuit and every near concussion is treated like a life threatening injury. Let them sit out a couple days and see if there are issues. 10% of my high school team would have been on the sidelines if the current rules applied. None ever had issues and most played the next game.

TransAmBison
08-12-2011, 02:04 AM
I agree. The coaches and trainers have gone soft. The doctors are too scared of a lawsuit and every near concussion is treated like a life threatening injury. Let them sit out a couple days and see if there are issues. 10% of my high school team would have been on the sidelines if the current rules applied. None ever had issues and most played the next game.
Isn't there concern too about concussions and dementia down the road? I've got limited knowledge on this, but isn't it something they are studying right now? My wife has talked about it a few times but I can't remember the whole conversation.

SDbison
08-12-2011, 02:07 AM
Isn't there concern too about concussions and dementia down the road?
I don't know, but I could be proof of that........or maybe its my excessive drinking. :)

SDbison
08-12-2011, 02:13 AM
Isn't there concern too about concussions and dementia down the road? I've got limited knowledge on this, but isn't it something they are studying right now? My wife has talked about it a few times but I can't remember the whole conversation.
Also, my mom never played football or drank like I do and she died from dementia. Fact!

OrygunBison
08-12-2011, 02:40 AM
I think the big deal with concussions these days is that we just understand them much better. In the days following a concussion (not sure exactly how many but I'd assume that it varies broadly), you are at much greater risk of getting another one. That is often where the big problems have happened - guy returns to the field because he feels fine or doesn't want to be a wuss and then takes another hit and the second is much worse.

I had a concussion in the 8th grade. Got another one my senior year during a game. Both were pretty awful. The one from football was a Friday night. Happened late in the first half. If you remember Cosby's routine about having never seen a hole playing for Temple, that was it. I went through and Mike met me square. The film was actually pretty funny because we both bounced back and landed on our asses. Almost look rehearsed. I played (RB/DE - small town 9 man) until I got too stupid in the middle of the 3rd. I don't remember anything after the 1st quarter, well before the hit. I needed a little help navigating my way to class on Monday. Scary shit.

Based on my experience, I'd err on the side of caution.

perthbison
08-12-2011, 03:02 AM
My wife has talked about it a few times but I can't remember the whole conversation.

Those are symptoms of dementia. When was your last concussion?

bri-dog
08-12-2011, 03:04 AM
You actually hear what your wife says? Weird.

344Johnson
08-12-2011, 03:36 AM
My wife has talked about it a few times but I can't remember the whole conversation.

Hold up here quick, You are telling me that you listen when your wife speaks?

CarringtonBison
08-12-2011, 05:14 AM
Also, my mom never played football or drank like I do and she died from dementia. Fact!

I know medicine and I know humor and that is some really funny shxt right there....... bwhahahahahahaha

Its is especially funny 'cause I hear stuff like that in my office day in and day out

SDbison
08-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I think the concussion thing is just a big topic of discussion now due to a rash of issues in recent years. It is a contact sport and there will always be a risk unless someone trys to change the game. There are several deaths each year from heart attacks and other causes, but should the game not be played?
Hopefully new helmet designs can alleviate the concerns about concussions in the future. For now, of course sitting the player out for a brief time is the only solution. I am just not sure how long is necessary and I am sure doctors and trainers are often making it longer than really necessary to err on the safe side. If there are a couple years with few tragic outcomes things might relax a bit.

bisonmike2
08-12-2011, 03:18 PM
I think the concussion thing is just a big topic of discussion now due to a rash of issues in recent years. It is a contact sport and there will always be a risk unless someone trys to change the game. There are several deaths each year from heart attacks and other causes, but should the game not be played?
Hopefully new helmet designs can alleviate the concerns about concussions in the future. For now, of course sitting the player out for a brief time is the only solution. I am just not sure how long is necessary and I am sure doctors and trainers are often making it longer than really necessary to err on the safe side. If there are a couple years with few tragic outcomes things might relax a bit.

Well if we go by the movie Demolition Man, football and all contact sports will soon be outlawed anyway. Along with red meat, sex, swearing and toilet paper. I know what your thinking, Mike why are you using Demolition Man as a reference for what may happen in the future? Well, good question. First, I think it's a really under appreciated sci-fi movie about the future. And second,it's actually been pretty accurate predicting some trends and it's kinda scary.

Prediction: In the future, police will become pussies and they don't use guns.
Reality: Police have become pussies and are not using guns as much. Cop shootings are way down. Tasers and other "non-lethal" weapon usages are way up.

Prediction: Swearing and obscenity is illegal and punishable by fine.
Reality: Janet Jackson nipple pretty much sums this one up. The FCC cracked down on all media obscenity and swearing.

Prediction: Cars will fill with an absorbing foam when you crash them
Reality: My car has like 13 airbags in it. It's not foam, but serves the same purpose.

Prediction: Los Angeles, San Diego and Santa Barbara become one gigantic metro area.
Reality: This has happened, hasn't it? That's were all the Mexican's are moving to when the jump the border, right?

Prediction: Taco Bell will become the only restaurant in the US.
Reality: It hasn't happened but really what do we have? We have a bunch of copy cat fast food joints that pop up and force out local eateries. Pretty soon our only options will be McDonalds, Taco Bell, Olive Garden and Pizza Hut.

That's all for now. What were we talking about again? And yes, I am bored at work today.

KilldeerBison
08-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Nice article from Kolpack in the forum.
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/330239/
Double Repping sounds intense, helps players learn quick, and a good conditioner drill.

56BISON73
08-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Nice article from Kolpack in the forum.
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/330239/
Double Repping sounds intense, helps players learn quick, and a good conditioner drill.

""The coaches call it “double repping,” which essentially means there are two sets of offenses and defenses going at each other with play repetitions – one on each end of the field.""

So they just figured this out? We were doing that back in the 70s. Which means Earhardt was doing it in the 60s.

bisonmike2
08-12-2011, 05:11 PM
""The coaches call it “double repping,” which essentially means there are two sets of offenses and defenses going at each other with play repetitions – one on each end of the field.""

So they just figured this out? We were doing that back in the 70s. Which means Earhardt was doing it in the 60s.

I think Bohl needs to take it to the next level.

Triple Repping.

56BISON73
08-12-2011, 05:12 PM
I think Bohl needs to take it to the next level.

Triple Repping.

Dont forget we did at least a week of two a days so we were actually double double repping.

bisonmike2
08-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Dont forget we did at least a week of two a days so we were actually double double repping.

This is going to get out of hand quickly, like the razor blade wars. Someone is just going to say, "Eff this, we're going to 5! Quintuple repping."

DjKyRo
08-12-2011, 06:59 PM
This is going to get out of hand quickly, like the razor blade wars. Someone is just going to say, "Eff this, we're going to 5! Quintuple repping."

Don't forget that 56 had to walk uphill, both ways, in the -60 degree winds just to get to the practice field in the summer. ;)

56BISON73
08-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Don't forget that 56 had to walk uphill, both ways, in the 160+ degree winds just to get to the practice field in the summer. ;)

FIFY !!!!:)

JustinTyem
08-13-2011, 07:19 PM
http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/50437/

BadlandsBison
08-13-2011, 07:48 PM
http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/50437/

4 concussions so far?! Sheesh. That sounds like a lot but maybe they get more publicity these days.

Maybe they forgot to put pads inside the helmets

westnodak93bison
08-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Geez. Sure has been pretty weak reporting by you Fargo locals. Time to step it up. :)

DjKyRo
08-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Geez. Sure has been pretty weak reporting by you Fargo locals. Time to step it up. :)

FWIW, they were off today. I'm pretty sure I saw Matt Jones at the mall, though.

17>1
08-15-2011, 01:34 AM

I've been to four practices so far and everything that I feel needs updating on is basically covered by Dom in the blog. If there's anything you want specifics on just ask.

ndsubison1
08-15-2011, 01:35 AM
i wanna hear from dom and kolpack which jobs are specifically up for grabs and who's battling for them

DjKyRo
08-15-2011, 02:21 AM
i wanna hear from dom and kolpack which jobs are specifically up for grabs and who's battling for them

What little I can contribute on this subject:

Corner: Williams has his spot locked up but Boyd, Dudzik and Champion all seem to be doing good things at the other spot. Dudzik's been really impressive in his run stopping and Champion seems like a beast in coverage. Boyd's size is a big asset, seems to be from the same physical mold as Gatlin. Don't know where the coaches stand as far as deciding but this is a tough call.

WR: Holloway should be good to go Week 1 but I think Zach Vraa has done the most this fall to earn the second spot. I think he'd be a superb guy coming out of the slot to be the "over the middle safety valve" sort of guy, put Gebhart out wide and let him run out and play jump ball. I think Cooper's development is too slow right now to warrant serious consideration for a starting job, but maybe that's just me. Ryan Smith is really impressing me as well.

TE: I want to tentatively say that given a two TE formation it'd be Veldman-Nelson, but Vaadeland is showing himself as an asset and Derek Lee has been mentioned as a potential TFr that'll play. Nelson's made some strides in the passing game that will be beneficial though with Veldman's obvious proclivity in catching a blocker might be the best choice for a #2 guy.

DT: Anthony LaVoy looks like the guy getting the most reps and has looked pretty good. Joe Horvath's gotten a number of reps with the first-teamers and could be a real beast in the future. Juckem will be out for awhile, according to Dom/Kolpack.

perthbison
08-15-2011, 02:34 AM

l.

TE: I want to tentatively say that given a two TE formation it'd be Veldman-Nelson, but Vaadeland is showing himself as an asset and Derek Lee has been mentioned as a potential TFr that'll play. Nelson's made some strides in the passing game that will be beneficial though with Veldman's obvious proclivity in catching a blocker might be the best choice for a #2 guy.

will Garret Bruhn be a TE or FB?:confused:

BadlandsBison
08-15-2011, 02:55 AM

Should be TE. FB should be Grothman/Buehner

DjKyRo
08-15-2011, 03:02 AM

Good question. I saw him get a number of passes thrown his way out of both spots, so it's tough to say. I'd be inclined to say FB with the talent we have at TE.

EDIT: Forgot about Amos back there too. Could very well be TE in that case.

Herd
08-15-2011, 04:51 AM

Corner: Williams has his spot locked up but Boyd, Dudzik and Champion all seem to be doing good things at the other spot. Dudzik's been really impressive in his run stopping and Champion seems like a beast in coverage. Boyd's size is a big asset, seems to be from the same physical mold as Gatlin. Don't know where the coaches stand as far as deciding but this is a tough call.

WR: Holloway should be good to go Week 1 but I think Zach Vraa has done the most this fall to earn the second spot. I think he'd be a superb guy coming out of the slot to be the "over the middle safety valve" sort of guy, put Gebhart out wide and let him run out and play jump ball. I think Cooper's development is too slow right now to warrant serious consideration for a starting job, but maybe that's just me. Ryan Smith is really impressing me as well.

DT: Anthony LaVoy looks like the guy getting the most reps and has looked pretty good. Joe Horvath's gotten a number of reps with the first-teamers and could be a real beast in the future. Juckem will be out for awhile, according to Dom/Kolpack.

At WR, Duchscher is the declaired #2 entering the fall. So you are saying he's not in the top 4? I think he's still at #2 unless something has changed.

DjKyRo
08-15-2011, 04:55 AM
At WR, Duchscher is the declaired #2 entering the fall. So you are saying he's not in the top 4? I think he's still at #2 unless something has changed.

I'm going by strictly, which means I just haven't seen a lot of him. Reed's been a good run-blocking WR and I talked with him a ways back about his thumb and he's good. Thing is we need an impact guy somewhere there that isn't named Warren, and I don't know that he can be the guy. Could very well end up in the mix but in my mind Vraa is the big rising star out of the receivers, at least right now in fall camp.

ndsubison1
08-15-2011, 06:48 AM
hopefully kolpack gives some insight on it this week. would be sweet if he could get some specific quotes from the coaches on certain position battles

Bison"FANatic"
08-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Any of you guys that are making it to practice seen anything out of Lisenby? He looks like a beast in the pics I have seen. I see they have him listed as a DT so a redshirt to put on some weight over the listed 236 will probably happen.

SDbison
08-15-2011, 10:35 PM
No updates today.......again?

westnodak93bison
08-15-2011, 11:05 PM
No updates today.......again?

Really disappointing to see such a lack of bisonville analysis. It's like you people have jobs or something. :)

DjKyRo
08-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Sam Ojuri should be in practice by Wednesday. Sorry I don't have more, the 9:30am practices are not friendly to my work schedule.

HerdBot
08-16-2011, 12:35 AM

Have you seen how big Juckem is? Listed at 6'4, 291
And he looks slim too. Super athletic. I hope he gets going soon. Drevlow is now listed at 283. Thats a huge gain considering he was smaller than Perry last year and he's put on 7 pounds too and is listed at 275. Lavoy is huge too. These guys worked their asses off to get strong. Lets hope they stay quick. Impressed big time.

westnodak93bison
08-16-2011, 02:03 AM
And he looks slim too. Super athletic. I hope he gets going soon. Drevlow is now listed at 283. Thats a huge gain considering he was smaller than Perry last year and he's put on 7 pounds too and is listed at 275. Lavoy is huge too. These guys worked their asses off to get strong. Lets hope they stay quick. Impressed big time.

Holy crap. Juckem has put on 56 lbs since he got here.
Regarding Kyle Emmanuel. Watching him in spring ball I kept thinking he would make one hell of a MLB?

DjKyRo
08-16-2011, 02:05 AM
Holy crap. Juckem has put on 56 lbs since he got here.
Regarding Kyle Emmanuel. Watching him in spring ball I kept thinking he would make one hell of a MLB?

Very possible, but he's getting a ton of reps at rDE. I have him penciled in as a starter.

onbison09
08-16-2011, 02:06 AM
Dom's saying a member of the secondary is out 4-6 weeks

DjKyRo
08-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Dom's saying a member of the secondary is out 4-6 weeks

CB Zach Colvin, fractured fibula.

BadlandsBison
08-16-2011, 02:20 AM
CB Zach Colvin, fractured fibula.

:( Darn. Get well Zach!

ndsubison1
08-16-2011, 06:46 AM
I think this definitely means that Jordan Champion plays right away now...

Notorious
08-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Holy crap. Juckem has put on 56 lbs since he got here?

They must still have unlimited chicken patties for lunch on Wednesdays...

KilldeerBison
08-16-2011, 04:36 PM
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2011/08/16/jastram-wins-kicking-job/
Looks like Jastram will be the Kicker.

CAS4127
08-16-2011, 04:38 PM

Get the circus music downloaded for playing when we attempt FG's and EP's!!

56BISON73
08-16-2011, 04:40 PM

Who was the hot shot kicker they brought in last year? I think he was injured? Which I have to ask---HOW does a kicker get injured?:)

Aggie
08-16-2011, 05:30 PM
whats the word on the FB position. Coaches were talking alot about the kid from Iowa, Berkley Grimm, how is he looking?

ndsubison1
08-16-2011, 05:44 PM
I think this definitely means that Jordan Champion plays right away now...

maybe not. kolpack said he'll likely redshirt

Bison"FANatic"
08-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Who was the hot shot kicker they brought in last year? I think he was injured? Which I have to ask---HOW does a kicker get injured?:)

Adam Keller I do believe

bri-dog
08-16-2011, 05:50 PM

Celebrating, for one. Of course, you hafta make one first.

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/wong/gramatica1.jpg

BadlandsBison
08-16-2011, 05:52 PM
whats the word on the FB position. Coaches were talking alot about the kid from Iowa, Berkley Grimm, how is he looking?

Grothman and Buehner likely 1/2. Looks like lots if freshman FBs on the roster, one of those Iowa men might be able to contribute immediately.

IzzyFlexion
08-17-2011, 12:12 PM
And he looks slim too. Super athletic.

Dammit.
I tried to get you all behind a Bret Keisel beard idea for Juckem last year and no one even commented.

Brett Keisel: Pittsburgh Steelers: 6' 5" 285 pounds with an lean athletic build.
Justin Juckem: NDSU Bison: 6' 4" 291 pounds with a lean athletic build.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/Brett_Keisel.JPG/200px-Brett_Keisel.JPG

Now I don't care so much about the beard thing (although it would be epic), based on measurables and reported body type, I can't imagine he looks much different than Keisel (above) If he does, and has the talent that he was recruited for..............can't wait to see what he can do (besides make quarterbacks poop their pants.)

AEBison1998
08-17-2011, 12:27 PM
I may not have commented on the beard idea/picture...but I did laugh!

BisonPride72
08-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Dammit.
I tried to get you all behind a Bret Keisel beard idea for Juckem last year and no one even commented.

Brett Keisel: Pittsburgh Steelers: 6' 5" 285 pounds with an lean athletic build.
Justin Juckem: NDSU Bison: 6' 4" 291 pounds with a lean athletic build.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/Brett_Keisel.JPG/200px-Brett_Keisel.JPG

If all else fails just have him switch his number to 99 to me that's a pretty B.A number. I mean he is already 97 its not to much of a change.

bri-dog
08-17-2011, 03:26 PM
I don't think it's been posted yet; story on Juckem in today's Forum:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/330757/

KilldeerBison
08-17-2011, 04:26 PM

Wow, it sounds like he (Juckem) was knocked out cold. Hope he recovers soon, we are gonna need him.

OrygunBison
08-17-2011, 06:37 PM
HOW does a kicker get injured?:)

Not sure at NDSU. I know how it happens at Northern Colorado, though...

Tatanka
08-17-2011, 06:51 PM

:rimshot: Nicely played.

56BISON73
08-17-2011, 07:00 PM

One must be care full in culinary class.

westnodak93bison
08-17-2011, 07:14 PM
From road's scedule thread we have the following left before school
Wed, Aug. 17 - 9:30am practice Dacotah
Th, Aug. 18 - 9:30am practice Grass
Fri, Aug. 19 - 9:30am practice Grass
Sat, Aug. 20 - 9:30am Scrimmage / Dacotah
Sun, Aug. 21 – Off
School Starts

Anyone see today's practice?

CAS4127
08-17-2011, 08:01 PM

OB, post the full view version of your "avatar" :judges: in the Bikini thread before someone kicks your ass for not sharing--just sayin!!

KilldeerBison
08-17-2011, 10:22 PM
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2011/08/17/tight-end-taylor-nelson-moves-to-the-front-of-the-line/

Looks like Taylor Nelson is separating from the pack at TE. Go get'em Taylor!

OrygunBison
08-17-2011, 10:34 PM
OB, post the full view version of your "avatar" :judges: in the Bikini thread before someone kicks your ass for not sharing--just sayin!!

Post #628. Unfortunately only a thumbnail but you can double click to enlarge. I know I was able to enlarge.

IzzyFlexion
08-18-2011, 12:24 AM

Thanks for the link, bri-pooch.
Getting knocked out and having that much retrograde amnesia is pretty serious sh!t. Here's hoping for a successful recovery. As much as I want to see him pummel an opponent's offense, if he should happen to miss a considerable amount of time, I'll struggle. But, I realize how cautious the staff will need to be with him given he sustained serious head/brain trauma. Long term health is so important for these young warriors.

Tatanka
08-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Excellent video update... http://www.gobison.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=793042&db_oem_id=2400

Answer Guy
08-18-2011, 04:26 PM

And someone is Bogarting their pics of Miss Buffalo Chip 2011--just sayin'.

westnodak93bison
08-18-2011, 10:19 PM
How are Perry, Drevlow, LaVoy and Juckem looking as compared to our o-line? Is Lueke in the mix at DT?

How about Boyd at CB? Is he coming along? Seems like he has a ton of potential.

JustinTyem
08-20-2011, 04:30 PM
No updates yet,lol. I wish they would use a cam for it!!!!

The Lost Dutchman
08-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Here's sound from Coach Bohl and Vraa talking about the scrimmage from earlier. Vraa looked awesome btw as well as the offense. Brock looked to seperate himself more too.

http://740thefan.com/uploads/Coach%20Bohl.MP3
http://740thefan.com/uploads/Zach%20Vraa.MP3

jarhead
08-20-2011, 06:52 PM
This won't be much, but something to snack on til the heavy hitters post. first, we look really good, even without Marcus, Preston and some of the others.
O line was absolutely solid, Billy's a beast. D line looked very solid and deep. D tackles were holding up really well. D ends had some decent pressure,
especially considering who they were playing against. Sam Ojuri is as good as advertised, a few really nice runs that showcased his vision, cutbacks, some toughness and speed. Matt Jones also played well, had a couple of nice runs. Zach Vraa was also impressive. Had some nice receptions (some up
high, some on the ground), showed good hands and ran nice routes. All 4 QBs played well. Ryan Stanford and Carson Wentz both showed great pocket
presence and both throw a nice ball. Kind of surprised neither was wearing the red jersey and both got hit pretty good. Ryan played in the backfield with
Matt Jones quite a bit. Both looked like the real deal. Esley led a couple of nice drives and Brock definitely looked comfortable. There were a couple of
under thrown balls but for the most part I thought the passing game looked pretty good. The DBs had pretty good to excellent coverage and when a re-
ception was made it was usually well earned. We ran a lot of kids in and even the walk-ons looked pretty good. I'm sorry I didn't have more particulars,
but I was having a hard time keeping up with individuals. Ryan Smith had some really nice punt returns but not so good punt coverage (I think Voit just
out kicked the coverage). Couple of decent KO returns (by Ojuri and I think Boyd) but pretty decent KO return coverage overall. All in all, I was really
impressed by everyone.

chuckles
08-20-2011, 07:38 PM
http://t.co/IBvSrBC

Video highlights and a recap are now up on Go Bison!

CaBisonFan
08-20-2011, 07:56 PM
http://t.co/IBvSrBC

Video highlights and a recap are now up on Go Bison!

I love the outdoor football. Bright colors. This was at Dacotah Field? Thanks for the vid.

IzzyFlexion
08-20-2011, 10:31 PM
wow. the old yellow bleachers are lookin' pretty tough.

4mcruenomore
08-20-2011, 10:37 PM
wow. the old yellow bleachers are lookin' pretty tough.

Sad, but seeing football at Dacotah gives me chills...
Is it too confident? We are going to be tough this year IMO.

Kermit
08-21-2011, 01:17 AM
LOTS to smile about today. Several regulars got the day off, but the quality of play was high. The offense looks much improved, despite some nicks to the O-line. Brock played pretty well, but I think we have FOUR legit quarterbacks.

Ojuri ran well and I liked Matt Jones. He is short (hard for tacklers to find) but strong. He ran with good patience and vision.

The receiving corps looks dramatically improved. Zach Vraa will be an excellent possession receiver. Still a significant drop off from the ones to the twos up front.

No concerns about depth on defense. Lots of different guys making plays. Christian Dudzik was noticeable at corner.

Voigtlander and Jastram both showed big legs in the kicking game. Ryan Smith had a couple big returns.

All in all, it was a good day! Go Bison!!

GradBison
08-21-2011, 01:58 AM
Beautiful day and a good turnout. Kermit summed up the action very well.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6202/6063441445_ec7fd7b8ea_b.jpg

EmbdenBison
08-21-2011, 03:18 AM
Any information on Josh Lisenby? I did not see a #66 at the scrimmage.

BisonNeil
08-21-2011, 03:48 PM
LOTS to smile about today. Several regulars got the day off, but the quality of play was high. The offense looks much improved, despite some nicks to the O-line. Brock played pretty well, but I think we have FOUR legit quarterbacks.

Ojuri ran well and I liked Matt Jones. He is short (hard for tacklers to find) but strong. He ran with good patience and vision.

The receiving corps looks dramatically improved. Zach Vraa will be an excellent possession receiver. Still a significant drop off from the ones to the twos up front.

No concerns about depth on defense. Lots of different guys making plays. Christian Dudzik was noticeable at corner.

Voigtlander and Jastram both showed big legs in the kicking game. Ryan Smith had a couple big returns.

All in all, it was a good day! Go Bison!!

Kerm, did the #1 D go against the #1 O?

GradBison
08-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Kerm, did the #1 D go against the #1 O?

Yes, at least for a couple of series. But the #1's on both sides didn't see too many reps. There were a ton of freshmen playing what seemed like over 50% of the time.

That's my best Kermit impersonation. :) Others will chime in I'm sure.

Kermit
08-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Yes, at least for a couple of series. But the #1's on both sides didn't see too many reps. There were a ton of freshmen playing what seemed like over 50% of the time.

That's my best Kermit impersonation. :) Others will chime in I'm sure.

Well done. ;)

Tatanka
08-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Couple of miscellaneous tidbits:

#61 on defense (not Britt but likely a TFr) was continually breaking through the line and getting held (noticeably) before getting to the QB. Not sure if that says more about him or the #2/3 O-Line but that was fun to see.
It will be nice to see Dudzik hitting/harassing someone from the other team for once. He got a little under Ojuri's skin after he stopped a run play in a rather, shall we say, decisive manner. I like it--let him piss off the other team's O though...
Speaking of Dudzik, he and Vraa had some good battles that have been documented ad nauseum. Both looked like players.
Voigtlander punting = holy carp. Takes a couple split seconds too long to get the ball off IMHO but he gets a hold of the thing and punts beautifully. From the 20 to the opposing 20 more than once with great hang time. Good thing NDSU doesn't play in the tin shed; he might knock the damn thing down. Now the coverage has to adjust and find a way to get downfield and take advantage of the fact that the return man will be backpedaling :)
NDSU is stacked at RB. STACKED.
As stated before in this thread, NDSU has four legit young quarterbacks. All need some work to varying degrees but they all bring something to the table.
Sav is a physical specimen.
Ryan Smith has the tools to be a not-so-secret weapon for the Bison. Love how they're finding ways to get his speed and quickness on the field.

tjbison
08-21-2011, 04:51 PM

#61 on defense (not Britt but likely a TFr) was continually breaking through the line and getting held (noticeably) before getting to the QB. Not sure if that says more about him or the #2/3 O-Line but that was fun to see.
It will be nice to see Dudzik hitting/harassing someone from the other team for once. He got a little under Ojuri's skin after he stopped a run play in a rather, shall we say, decisive manner. I like it--let him piss off the other team's O though...
Speaking of Dudzik, he and Vraa had some good battles that have been documented ad nauseum. Both looked like players.
Voigtlander punting = holy carp. Takes a couple split seconds too long to get the ball off IMHO but he gets a hold of the thing and punts beautifully. From the 20 to the opposing 20 more than once with great hang time. Good thing NDSU doesn't play in the tin shed; he might knock the damn thing down. Now the coverage has to adjust and find a way to get downfield and take advantage of the fact that the return man will be backpedaling :)
NDSU is stacked at RB. STACKED.
As stated before in this thread, NDSU has four legit young quarterbacks. All need some work to varying degrees but they all bring something to the table.
Ryan Smith has the tools to be a not-so-secret weapon for the Bison. Love how they're finding ways to get his speed and quickness on the field.

When did he start to play instead of cheer??

:)

jarhead
08-21-2011, 05:35 PM
I think #61 was Brian Schaetz, the 6' 1", 255# walk-on from WI. He was consistently beating his man. He was lined up between Joe Horvath and walk-on Lyle Norman part of the time and they all looked pretty impressive for frosh. Saw Jacob Lesar on the field but couldn't separate him
during the plays-very large young man. Didn't really catch Joe Haeg and saw Leighton Talmadge but also lost him in the scrum.

Kermit
08-21-2011, 09:33 PM
I think #61 was Brian Schaetz, the 6' 1", 255# walk-on from WI. He was consistently beating his man. He was lined up between Joe Horvath and walk-on Lyle Norman part of the time and they all looked pretty impressive for frosh. Saw Jacob Lesar on the field but couldn't separate him
during the plays-very large young man. Didn't really catch Joe Haeg and saw Leighton Talmadge but also lost him in the scrum.

Haeg was getting reps with the 2nd team at RT. This is good and bad. Haeg is a talented kid, but he needs to add some bulk/strength and go through the process before he is ready to play. We need Jeff Jerve and Jason Pomerenke back on the field (both are rehabbing injuries).

Kermit
08-21-2011, 09:34 PM

BEAST! He knows it, too... ;)

Mr. Burgundy
08-22-2011, 02:10 AM
Jensen completed 4 of 4 passes for 37 yards. He was one of four quarterbacks to take the field and combined to complete 15 of 23 passes for 165 yards, three TDs and no interceptions. Redshirt freshman Esley Thorton completed 6 of 8 passes for 68 yards.

On the next series, freshman quarterback Carson Wentz completed 3 of 4 passes to lead a six-play, 40-yard scoring drive. Wentz hit sophomore tight end Kevin Vaadeland with a 12-yard touchdown pass. That TD was set up by a 15-yard third down pass to Nate Moody. Wentz was 4 of 6 for 43 yards.

I found those stats. Pretty impressive job by the quarterbacks, you can tell they have some new weapons....and Halloway will be back and ready for the opener.

56BISON73
08-22-2011, 02:24 AM
Jensen completed 4 of 4 passes for 37 yards. He was one of four quarterbacks to take the field and combined to complete 15 of 23 passes for 165 yards, three TDs and no interceptions. Redshirt freshman Esley Thorton completed 6 of 8 passes for 68 yards.

On the next series, freshman quarterback Carson Wentz completed 3 of 4 passes to lead a six-play, 40-yard scoring drive. Wentz hit sophomore tight end Kevin Vaadeland with a 12-yard touchdown pass. That TD was set up by a 15-yard third down pass to Nate Moody. Wentz was 4 of 6 for 43 yards.

I found those stats. Pretty impressive job by the quarterbacks, you can tell they have some new weapons....and Halloway will be back and ready for the opener.

I really like the way our QB situation is shaping up.

SDbison
08-22-2011, 04:34 AM
BEAST! He knows it, too... ;)
I think I dominate in the chest bumps with SAV now! More chisled look, but not enough mass.

ndsubison1
08-22-2011, 04:37 AM
you still got nothin on me tho SD

SDbison
08-22-2011, 04:41 AM
you still got nothin on me tho SD
Yeah, you the man!

DjKyRo
08-22-2011, 05:12 AM
Yeah, you the man!

Especially at the Morgan State game. Chest bumps fueled with copious amounts of shots are the kind that leave craters in the West Lot.

Tatanka
08-24-2011, 02:20 PM
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10100921125498979&oid=164086686981002

Excellent video on Scottie Hazelton!

I dare you to not get fired up listening to that dude.

SDbison
08-24-2011, 03:26 PM
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10100921125498979&oid=164086686981002

Excellent video on Scottie Hazelton!

I dare you to not get fired up listening to that dude.
Great video.......I am going to go level someone outside my office.......so fired up for football. The next 10 days is going to seem like 100.

Tatanka
08-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Great video.......I am going to go level someone outside my office.......so fired up for football. The next 10 days is going to seem like 100.

If you do, please at least get some before and after pictures. I feel sorry for whatever poor bastard is in the hallway by the water cooler. Especially if they are fans of teh bunny.

SDbison
08-24-2011, 04:44 PM
If you do, please at least get some before and after pictures. I feel sorry for whatever poor bastard is in the hallway by the water cooler. Especially if they are fans of teh bunny.
ha ha funny stuff. Since I moved into my new office I am now only about 15 feet from one of two serious bunny fans at work. Just had a conversation with him how the Bison are going to kick their ass in Brookings this October........long overdue!

Tatanka
08-24-2011, 05:01 PM
ha ha funny stuff. Since I moved into my new office I am now only about 15 feet from one of two serious bunny fans at work. Just had a conversation with him how the Bison are going to kick their ass in Brookings this October........long overdue!

yeah, I'm going to have to call bullshit on that. No such thing as a serious bunny football fan. :D

JustinTyem
08-24-2011, 05:11 PM

:pan: :bunnyb:

Tatanka
08-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Meet WR coach Kenni Burns
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=947331583023

GradBison
08-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Coach Polasek's video:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10100925197159339

I love this guy! Talk about intensity.

EndZoneQB
08-26-2011, 05:51 PM
I REALLY like this video series. What a great idea! Not to mention, they are HIGH quality.

IzzyFlexion
08-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Coach Polasek's video:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10100925197159339

I love this guy! Talk about intensity.

Can someone get me this guy's address so that I can send him a couple cases of his favorite malted beverage?

IzzyFlexion
08-26-2011, 05:58 PM

Holy shit. Gebhart and Vraa are looking big and long!!:omfg:

EndZoneQB
08-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Holy shit. Gebhart and Vraa are looking big and long!!:omfg:

Do I really have to be the asshole that says it? Seriously?

EndZoneQB
08-26-2011, 06:22 PM
I like what Polasek says in the video "when we recruit a tailback, we tell them we are going to turn around and hand you the ball, it's your job to carry the program." I'm not a recruit nor am I a RB, but damn that's pretty powerful IMO. Might be one of the reasons we always get the RB's we want?

Notorious
08-26-2011, 06:30 PM
I heard that one of Rocky's lines was, "I guaranty that you will play for National Champship while your here." I love that kind of swagger.

JustinTyem
08-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Ill tell ya, if bohl takes a job to a bigger school, I would say that Pol would be the best Headcoach for the bison. but this is just my honest opinion.

Bison"FANatic"
08-26-2011, 08:21 PM
That is exactly what I thought while watching that video.

Gully
08-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Ill tell ya, if bohl takes a job to a bigger school, I would say that Pol would be the best Headcoach for the bison. but this is just my honest opinion.

He might be a little young, not sure, but I agree he's one of the better coaches. Excellent recruiter, I hear as well.

Twentysix
08-26-2011, 10:25 PM
I wonder if they would seek an inhouse HC or look to a sucessful FBS/BCS assistant.

SamsRams
08-26-2011, 11:07 PM

"We wanna be Rams on the outside" LOVE THIS!!!

KHCO

Jay
08-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Billy Turner has a torn thumb ligament and is 50/50 for the Lafayette game.

https://twitter.com/#!/FGOSPORTSWRITER

99Bison
08-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Billy Turner has a torn thumb ligament and is 50/50 for the Lafayette game.

https://twitter.com/#!/FGOSPORTSWRITER

Yea, this is not good...

BadlandsBison
08-27-2011, 04:02 PM
This changes things quite abit. I heard if another Tackle got hurt (which now happened) one of the TEs would have to be moved to tackle.

westnodak93bison
08-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Yea, this is not good...

Is it possible to play with a cast?

SDbison
08-27-2011, 06:03 PM
I had the same thing happen back in high school. He will be able to play. The base of the thumb feels like a bad bruise and hurts with movement, but you can just tape the thumb against the palm of the hand. Might be more impact now since lineman were not able to use hands while blocking 20 plus years ago like they currently can.

Da Bison
08-27-2011, 09:08 PM

Maybe ask Craig Dahl

He started the Ball State game with a cast on one hand & finished the game with casts on both.

Bison"FANatic"
08-27-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't think this will be that big of a set back. Like SD said he will be able to play if he had to.

GradBison
08-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Update from Izzo

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2011/08/27/countdown-to-week-1/

on Billy Turner, sources tell WDAY 6 Sports, he’s going to have surgery on his injured thumb this week, but still intends to play next Saturday.

56BISON73
08-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Update from Izzo

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2011/08/27/countdown-to-week-1/

Sounds as though he got what is called a "games keeper thumb fracture'.

Ive had this surgery also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamekeeper%27s_thumb

Tatanka
08-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Meet D-Tackles coach Goose Goeser http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=10100926840550969&oid=164086686981002

GradBison
08-29-2011, 07:06 PM
As if the anticipate wasn't already enough, Coach Bohl adds fuel to the fire.

"I know we have a good football team,” he said. “How far we can go .. I can’t tell but we have some good components to have a good football team. I’m really excited."

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2011/08/29/its-game-week-high-expectations-in-bison-camp/

GO BISON!

SDbison
08-29-2011, 07:18 PM

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2011/08/29/its-game-week-high-expectations-in-bison-camp/

GO BISON!
Coach Bohl said this:
"I’m really excited. The guys have worked hard. That does not translate into a win every game but I feel like we have an opportunity to win every game."
Seems the part I bolded above should always be true, especially if said about a program like Bison football.

99Bison
08-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Coach Bohl said this:
"I’m really excited. The guys have worked hard. That does not translate into a win every game but I feel like we have an opportunity to win every game."
Seems the part I bolded above should always be true, especially if said about a program like Bison football.

Yup... :facepalm: :facepalm: :sigpalm:

tony
08-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Coach Bohl said this:

If we want bold predictions and big talk, maybe Coach Brewster is still available. :)

CAS4127
08-29-2011, 08:01 PM
If we want bold predictions and big talk, maybe Coach Brewster is still available. :)

I don't see anything wrong with what Bohl stated--having "an opportunity to win every game" is not like saying "we will win every game." Who on our schedule do we not have a good shot at beating?

Now, I don't necessarily like him saying we have a good team--that may just go to the heads of the players--let's hope not!

SDbison
08-29-2011, 09:46 PM
I don't see anything wrong with what Bohl stated--having "an opportunity to win every game" is not like saying "we will win every game." Who on our schedule do we not have a good shot at beating?

Now, I don't necessarily like him saying we have a good team--that may just go to the heads of the players--let's hope not!
My comment is that it's a no brainer for a coach to expect that a team has an opportunity to win every game. Of course any team, no matter how good or bad, has an opportunity to win every game.........at least if they show up for kickoff.

Bison06
08-29-2011, 09:57 PM
I think Coach Bohl is one of the best coaches I have ever seen at being very PC. He really never divulges more than he needs to to get through an interview. Save the motivational stuff for behind closed doors, when talking to the media it's important to say things like that. Not arrogant and not down in the dumps.

99Bison
08-30-2011, 01:28 AM
I think the complaint is the tone is now one of "hope" instead of some confidence.

ndsubison1
08-30-2011, 05:31 AM

GO BISON!

wow. he went on a whale of a limb there

westnodak93bison
08-30-2011, 03:49 PM
http://ndsubisonsports.areavoices.com/2011/08/28/roster-ravings/

I thought this was pretty interesting. Especially the part about LaVoy and Drevlow. If LaVoy is edging out Drevlow as Kyle claims then we will have two solid guys in there along side Perry and if Juckem comes back healthy then we have 4 solid interior D lineman. Gotta love that depth.

HerdBot
08-30-2011, 05:26 PM
http://ndsubisonsports.areavoices.com/2011/08/28/roster-ravings/

I thought this was pretty interesting. Especially the part about LaVoy and Drevlow. If LaVoy is edging out Drevlow as Kyle claims then we will have two solid guys in there along side Perry and if Juckem comes back healthy then we have 4 solid interior D lineman. Gotta love that depth.

Props to CAS he predicted Lavoy would be really good.

CAS4127
08-30-2011, 05:40 PM

I saw and visited with Anthony many, many times this summer. His family owns the resort (Pinehurst near Mahnomen/Naytawash) where my wife and I have a place. He stayed in Fargo for workouts, etc., and would then come home on weekends to help out around the resort.

I have to admit, when I saw him perform in the Spring Game, I was a little concerned. He was playing with his pads high and was not using his hands/arms enough for controling whatever offensive lineman he had depending on the play, especially on run plays. He held is ground, but there was not much lateral movement, and no real control of LOS responsibility other than covering his gap assignment. I have not been to any practices or scrimmages this fall, but a friend of mine has, and he told me Anthony was playing about like what I saw at the Spring Game. I talked with Anthony this summer about hand control/shivers, and he understood what we were talking about. He has unbelievable brute/core strength, and maybe we are starting to see him use that. Would love to see him start getting some backfield penetration and lateral movement--maybe he is developing that and that is why he is moving up the depth chart.

HandoEX
08-30-2011, 06:18 PM

No offense to anyone, but the kid hasn't been really good...he hasn't even seen the field yet. If he does something in a real game, then we can say he's done something to warrant praise.

Practice? We talkin' bout practice?

stevdock
08-30-2011, 06:42 PM
No offense to anyone, but the kid hasn't been really good...he hasn't even seen the field yet. If he does something in a real game, then we can say he's done something to warrant praise.

But it needs to start somewhere right?? If you don't see it in practice you're not going to see it in a game.

CAS4127
08-30-2011, 06:48 PM

See my post--I don't see where I said he was "really good". I suggested that he may be showing signs of improvement, and that that may be why he is possibly moving up the depth chart. What I said about him last spring was that he has potential, at least physical potential, to do well for us. But physiccal potential is not all that it takes, as we all know. I want to see some "attitude", and I know he has that, but I just haven't seen it on the field yet!!

HerdBot
08-30-2011, 06:58 PM

Practice?

Practice?

We talkin bout practice?

Practice?

Love the AI reference.

But in all seriousness nobody thought the guy would even see the field yet CAS saw the potential in him. Obviously there is something there or he wouldn't be moving up the depth chart.

Tatanka
09-06-2011, 07:55 PM
OL Coach Fuchs
http://www.gobison.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=795786&db_oem_id=2400

DB Coach Klieman
http://www.gobison.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=795879&db_oem_id=2400

DE Coach AJ Cooper
http://www.gobison.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=795785&db_oem_id=2400