PDA

View Full Version : Fall practice schedule

roadwarrior
08-01-2011, 10:43 PM
From gobison.com

Th, Aug. 4 - 3:30pm practice/Grass (acclimatization #1)
Fri, Aug. 5 – 10:30am Media Day / 2:30pm practice/Grass (acclimatization #2)
Sat, Aug. 6 - 10am practice/Dacotah (acclimatization #3)
Sun, Aug. 7 - 3pm practice/Grass (acclimatization #4)
Mon, Aug. 8 - 9:30am practice/Dacotah (acclimatization #5)
Tue, Aug. 9 - 2-A-Day, 9:30am Grass / 4:00pm Grass
Wed, Aug. 10 - 9:30am practice/Dacotah
Th, Aug. 11 - 2-A-Day, 9:30am Grass / 4:15pm Grass
Fri, Aug. 12 - 9:30am practice Dacotah
Sat, Aug. 13 - 10am practice Grass
Sun, Aug. 14 -- Off
Mon, Aug. 15 - 9:30am Dacotah
Tue, Aug. 16 - 9:30am practice Grass / Fan Day, 6:30 pm
Wed, Aug. 17 - 9:30am practice Dacotah
Th, Aug. 18 - 9:30am practice Grass
Fri, Aug. 19 - 9:30am practice Grass
Sat, Aug. 20 - 9:30am Scrimmage / Dacotah
Sun, Aug. 21 – Off
School Starts

56BISON73
08-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Only Two 2 a day practices? WOW

GradBison
08-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Don't they usually have 2 scrimmages?

runtheoption
08-03-2011, 02:25 PM

I wonder if that is due to the fitness levels of players coming into camp. They are already, or should be in shape, prior to camp starting, and not using camp to get into shape.

Of course, nothing gets you into football shape like live reps, but I think you guys know what I mean.

99Bison
08-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Guessing colleges will be cutting back on those following the nfl's lead.

Bison06
08-03-2011, 04:51 PM

It is an interesting phenomenon that I have been trying to wrap my head around for a few years.

Athletes today are so finely tuned due to training regimens that somehow they are more prone to injury when overworked. Some people say well the players today are getting soft or aren't as tough somehow, but I feel it is legitimately due to the way players are trained.

With athletes today because of how highly trained they are sometime less is more when it comes to these things. Putting them through a two a day just increases the likelihood of injury because of fatigue during that second practice.

I think it's a good thing to only have a few of these. Any thoughts on if less 2 a days is a good thing for the team?

56BISON73
08-03-2011, 05:17 PM
It is an interesting phenomenon that I have been trying to wrap my head around for a few years.

Athletes today are so finely tuned due to training regimens that somehow they are more prone to injury when overworked. Some people say well the players today are getting soft or aren't as tough somehow, but I feel it is legitimately due to the way players are trained.

With athletes today because of how highly trained they are sometime less is more when it comes to these things. Putting them through a two a day just increases the likelihood of injury because of fatigue during that second practice.

I think it's a good thing to only have a few of these. Any thoughts on if less 2 a days is a good thing for the team?

I really dont know how highly trained they are. I keep hearing that these guys are in great shape. But they are constantly being substituted and they look tired when they come out of the game. IMO.

Fatigue is huge when it come down to crunch time. When we had two a days the coaches always harped about concentration when you were tired. If you could keep your concentration and perform at a high level when it was 100 degrees out during the second practice it was a breeze on game day in the fourth quarter. Being mentally tough also eliminated a lot of stupid penalties. Of course we had to be in shape and mentally tough because there were no substitutions unless you broke a leg or died.

I dont think todays players get hurt because they are overly trained. I think todays players get hurt because they get bigger really fast . The human body can only take so much stress.

Here is another thing I have thought about. You never heard of anyone dying from practice back in the day. Even with two a days and some coaches not believing in giving water breaks. No shit. That was a common theme for a long time.
So whey are players dying when the practices arent as strenuous?

CAS4127
08-03-2011, 05:53 PM

To suggest that today's athletes (including Bison FB players) are more highly trained compared to the 80's and up is just dead wrong. I personally know at least 5 of the current players. They ARE NOT more highly trained and or in better physical condition at any given time then I or other NDSU players were or have been in the time periods I mention. Can't say for years prior, cuz I wasn't there or was was too young to pay attention.

Answer Guy
08-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Even with two a days and some coaches not believing in giving water breaks. No shit. That was a common theme for a long time.

I call BS. There were plenty of water breaks "back in the day".

You missed them because the ice caps hadn't melted. :D

They also now have 7-8 more days from reporting until the first game. Not sure when that changed. Might be a reason for less two a days.

56BISON73
08-03-2011, 06:10 PM

They also now have 7-8 more days from reporting until the first game. Not sure when that changed. Might be a reason for less two a days.

That might be it.

CAS4127
08-03-2011, 06:21 PM

Yep, that makes sense. You are only allowed so many practices, so, with more days to get them in = less need for 2-a-days.

ndsubison1
08-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I really dont know how highly trained they are. I keep hearing that these guys are in great shape. But they are constantly being substituted and they look tired when they come out of the game. IMO.

Fatigue is huge when it come down to crunch time. When we had two a days the coaches always harped about concentration when you were tired. If you could keep your concentration and perform at a high level when it was 100 degrees out during the second practice it was a breeze on game day in the fourth quarter. Being mentally tough also eliminated a lot of stupid penalties. Of course we had to be in shape and mentally tough because there were no substitutions unless you broke a leg or died.

I dont think todays players get hurt because they are overly trained. I think todays players get hurt because they get bigger really fast . The human body can only take so much stress.

Here is another thing I have thought about. You never heard of anyone dying from practice back in the day. Even with two a days and some coaches not believing in giving water breaks. No shit. That was a common theme for a long time.
So whey are players dying when the practices arent as strenuous?

we have internet, tv, radio and phones now... :D

DjKyRo
08-03-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm one of exactly three people in the station this week (due to WE Fest) so won't have a lot of time to get to practices but the ones I get to will be documented on bisonillustrated.com, same as the Spring.

RiverBison15
08-03-2011, 06:54 PM
I personally think there are several reason there are "more" injuries now. Someone mentioned that players were better trained and in better shape now, I do think they are better trained but they are not in better shape then say the 1980's. But with that lets start comparing the size of the kids who play today to the kids from the 80's. I don't remember the 80's teams and can't tell you the size but how many 300 plus pound linemen were on the team? Right now every offensive lineman is within ten lbs of 300, with the exception of one. I think athletes are bigger, stronger, and faster then ever before. I mean just look at some of the kids who play in the secondary and are over 200 lbs.

As far as kids dying now compared to back in the day before water breaks, like was said information travels fast now and things are not kept out of the papers like they once were. Just think how all bad news spreads so fast now, there was a time when a player would never get charged with drinking underage and now its all over the papers the next day.

The idea that players aren't as tough now as they were before could be some what true. I think the real issue is that with team doctors and what we know about injuries these days players are not allowed to play through things that they once would. There is also the addition of alot of supplements and performance enhancers that could be linked to increase wear and tear on the body. Not saying any of the NDSU players are using these but they don't have to even be illegal to have negative consequences on your body.

56BISON73
08-03-2011, 06:57 PM

According to the NCAA 2010-2011 Division I Manual, the first official preseason practice may not take place before the date that allows the maximum of 40 units before the first scheduled intercollegiate game. Schools calculate the 40 units by counting backward from the first scheduled game, with each day representing one or two units as outlined in the NCAA manual. Schools may not have more than 29 on-field practice sessions during preseason. The NCAA limits colleges in the Bowl Subdivision to 105 student-athletes who may practice before the first day of classes or first game, and colleges in the Championship Subdivision to 90 student-athletes. All schools must respect a five-day acclimatization period at the start of the preseason. During this time, athletes may engage in no more than one conditioning, speed, strength or agility test or one on-field practice per day of no more than three hours and one walk-through without gear. There must be a three hour recovery period between practice and a walk-through. During the first two days, only helmets may be worn. On days three and four, helmets and shoulder pads are allowed. From day five onward, full pads are allowed. Multiple practice sessions per day may not occur on consecutive days, and student-athletes must be allowed at least three hours of recovery between sessions. On single-session days, no more than three hours-on field is allowed, and on multiple-session days, no more than five hours on-field is allowed.

Read more: NCAA Football Practice Rules | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6857336_ncaa-football-practice-rules.html#ixzz1Tzet1M8o

56BISON73
08-03-2011, 06:59 PM
To suggest that today's athletes (including Bison FB players) are more highly trained compared to the 80's and up is just dead wrong. I personally know at least 5 of the current players. They ARE NOT more highly trained and or in better physical condition at any given time then I or other NDSU players were or have been in the time periods I mention. Can't say for years prior, cuz I wasn't there or was was too young to pay attention.

I think they are more highly trained in the aspect of putting on more weight via weight training than my days because we didnt have a coach for that purpose. But to say they are in better shape I wouldnt do along with that at all.

Bison06
08-03-2011, 07:09 PM

I am not sure how you can say that isn't fact. I am not saying they are in better cardiovascular shape, but how can you argue that the players now are more highly and specifically trained than they have been in the past. How else do you account for faster 40 times and lifting heavier weights in the gym.

In today's game kids are starting much earlier and more intensely with sport specific training. This leads to them being much further along in their athletic performance by the time they get to the college game.

I wasn't trying to knock anybody who played in years past, just saying that this level of training IMO leads to a body that trained so specifically that anything that deviates from what their body is trained to do it is more likely to get injured.

I liken it to a road racing bike vs. a mountain bike.

The road racing bike is highly specialized and built for speed and power. But if you tried to go offroad with it, it would break immediately.

Long story short, I do not believe the 2 a day concept is necessary anymore due to the intense and specialized off-season training that is done by athletes these days.

56BISON73
08-03-2011, 07:17 PM
I am not sure how you can say that isn't fact. I am not saying they are in better cardiovascular shape, but how can you argue that the players now are more highly and specifically trained than they have been in the past. How else do you account for faster 40 times and lifting heavier weights in the gym.

In today's game kids are starting much earlier and more intensely with sport specific training. This leads to them being much further along in their athletic performance by the time they get to the college game.

I wasn't trying to knock anybody who played in years past, just saying that this level of training IMO leads to a body that trained so specifically that anything that deviates from what their body is trained to do it is more likely to get injured.

The road racing bike is highly specialized and built for speed and power. But if you tried to go offroad with it, it would break immediately.

Long story short, I do not believe the 2 a day concept is necessary anymore due to the intense and specialized off-season training that is done by athletes these days.

After looking at the practice rules-limitations I am going to go with the fact that they are now allowing more days before the first game. Its plain logistics. You dont need to cram X amount of practices in a smaller amount of days. You are also not having as many days where you practice twice a day and then have meetings at night.

CAS4127
08-03-2011, 07:23 PM

I am not convinced that players have faster 40 times and can lift more weight. There may be more players with good 40 times and who can lift heavy because of scholarship difference, but the starters and many back-ups today are not much, if any, different than those of many of our 80 and 90 teams. In fact, I would venture a guess that none of the current LB's could have beat me in the 40, and most are about the size that I played at, and smaller than what our inside LB's were--not bragging, just observing.

Also, and I am not trying to start an argument, but when you say this

just saying that this level of training IMO leads to a body that trained so specifically that anything that deviates from what their body is trained to do it is more likely to get injured

you are not making much sense. If they are training for football, what is it about practicing football or even playing a game that "deviates [from] what their body is trained to do"????????? Think about it.

Also, as an FYI, many players in the 80's and 90's trained twice daily in the off-season much like many do now, etc.

Bison06
08-03-2011, 07:25 PM
After looking at the practice rules-limitations I am going to go with the fact that they are now allowing more days before the first game. Its plain logistics. You dont need to cram X amount of practices in a smaller amount of days. You are also not having as many days where you practice twice a day and then have meetings at night.

Agreed, it is about logistics. I am only saying they aren't as necessary as they once were anyway. And even if the logistics of timing weren't an issue, I don't think that 2 a day practices are needed like they have been in years past.

I do think to form cameraderie and team unity the fatigue and grind of going through a tough fall camp has a lot of value. But from my experience that bond is made in the summer conditioning program these days anyway.

Bison06
08-03-2011, 07:35 PM
I am not convinced that players have faster 40 times and can lift more weight. There may be more players with good 40 times and who can lift heavy because of scholarship difference, but the starters and many back-ups today are not much, if any, different than those of many of our 80 and 90 teams. In fact, I would venture a guess that none of the current LB's could have beat me in the 40, and most are about the size that I played at, and smaller than what our inside LB's were--not bragging, just observing.

Also, and I am not trying to start an argument, but when you say this

you are not making much sense. If they are training for football, what is it about practicing football or even playing a game that "deviates [from] what their body is trained to do"????????? Think about it.

Also, as an FYI, many players in the 80's and 90's trained twice daily in the off-season much like many do now, etc.

I also am not trying to start an argument, but how many d-lineman did you have that were 280 and ran a 4.7 forty? Look at the NFL, running backs in the NFL would have been D-lineman 20-30 years ago. There have always been some freak athletes, but as a rule athletes are running faster times and lifting heavier weights than they ever did in the past.

When I say deviates from what their body is trained to do I mean that football athletes are not cross country athletes. They are built to go full-out for 4-6 seconds and then rest. "Interval training". When you take an athlete who is built that way and try to run it to fatigue (ie 2 a days) you are going to be more susceptible to injury.

This isn't my opinion, we have learned a lot about how to train the body in the last 15-20 years and we are working smarter not harder in how to get an athlete to perform at his/her peak.

CAS4127
08-03-2011, 07:44 PM
I also am not trying to start an argument, but how many d-lineman did you have that were 280 and ran a 4.7 forty? Look at the NFL, running backs in the NFL would have been D-lineman 20-30 years ago. There have always been some freak athletes, but as a rule athletes are running faster times and lifting heavier weights than they ever did in the past.

When I say deviates from what their body is trained to do I mean that football athletes are not cross country athletes. They are built to go full-out for 4-6 seconds and then rest. "Interval training". When you take an athlete who is built that way and try to run it to fatigue (ie 2 a days) you are going to be more susceptible to injury.

This isn't my opinion, we have learned a lot about how to train the body in the last 15-20 years and we are working smarter not harder in how to get an athlete to perform at his/her peak.

I done here!

Buthockey
08-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Obviously none of you know superior hockey athletes eh?

Bison06
08-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I done here!

What do you mean you're done here, we are having a nice discussion about the need for 2 a days and you walk away.

I see this too often on Bisonville these days, any conversation of substance gets glanced over, while the meaningless inside jokes go on for months.

56BISON73
08-03-2011, 07:53 PM

To be fair you need list all of the linemans times. As you said--You will always get a few freaks who can do what other cant. I dont think you are going to find many 300+lineman breaking 5 flat in the 40. I could be wrong.

344Johnson
08-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Obviously none of know superior hockey athletes eh?

Me and my sons Olly and Jean-Andre know all about Matt Frattin!

Bison06
08-03-2011, 07:57 PM
To be fair you need list all of the linemans times. As you said--You will always get a few freaks who can do what other cant. I dont think you are going to find many 300+lineman breaking 5 flat in the 40. I could be wrong.

To clarify my point I am talking about all football athletes not just Bison Football players.

I'll come up with some names for you here, but am I alone in thinking that it is a well known fact that today's athletes are bigger, faster, stronger?

Look at world records in track, continually being broken. Fastest 40 times ever run being broken every other year it seems.

56BISON73
08-03-2011, 08:12 PM
To clarify my point I am talking about all football athletes not just Bison Football players.

I'll come up with some names for you here, but am I alone in thinking that it is a well known fact that today's athletes are bigger, faster, stronger?

Look at world records in track, continually being broken. Fastest 40 times ever run being broken every other year it seems.

Back in 73 there were guys running 4.3-4.4. So the times now a days really arent surprising. I think what we are seeing is a different type of athlete is playing certain positions as the game evolved.

You also have had a progression of weight training in high schools that has lead to stronger kids coming in. There is also one other factor that hasnt been mentioned. IMO the bigger, stronger, faster mantra was really kick started during the steroid eras.

Bison06
08-03-2011, 08:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=041123/steelers

Sorry this is the best comparison I could come up with on short notice, and this is just comparing the players for weight.

I would be willing to bet that if each player were to be put through the same tests (40 time, vertical jump, broad jump, 3 cone drill, bench press, squat) any other measure of athletic performance you can come up with for their counterpart from the opposite team, 99% of the time the '04 athlete would do better, even though they are much larger.

Finding old NDSU rosters is much harder than one would think. If anyone has a good link so I can do this comparison with NDSU players now vs. 20 years ago I would like to check it out. Thanks guys.

bri-dog
08-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Finding old NDSU rosters is much harder than one would think. If anyone has a good link so I can do this comparison with NDSU players now vs. 20 years ago I would like to check it out. Thanks guys.

They're right with the '94 baseball roster...:hide:

56BISON73
08-03-2011, 08:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=041123/steelers

Sorry this is the best comparison I could come up with on short notice, and this is just comparing the players for weight.

I would be willing to bet that if each player were to be put through the same tests (40 time, vertical jump, broad jump, 3 cone drill, bench press, squat) any other measure of athletic performance you can come up with for their counterpart from the opposite team, 99% of the time the '04 athlete would do better, even though they are much larger.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I remember last year or the year before some one posted some lineman times from NDSU. They were like 5.3 and 5.4. That would have been very slow when I played.

Bison06
08-03-2011, 08:38 PM
We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I remember last year or the year before some one posted some lineman times from NDSU. They were like 5.3 and 5.4. That would have been very slow when I played.

I am not sure about that, but I'll come back to my original point. Athletes today are better athletes(defined as times/weight lifted in previously mentioned events) than athletes 20-25 years ago. This is not due to them just being more gifted or being harder workers or anything like that. Is is due to better training starting at a younger age and more sport specific focused training than in the past.

Let's compare the most elite athletes in the sport, NFL players.

Who is the 1970's/80's equivalent of Adrian Peterson? Randy Moss? Julius Peppers? Brian Urlacher? There is no one to compare these types of athletes to.

Today's athletes are bigger, faster, and stronger than they have been in the past. And 20 years from now they'll be able to say the same thing about today's athletes.

Da_Bison
08-03-2011, 11:01 PM
I am not sure about that, but I'll come back to my original point. Athletes today are better athletes(defined as times/weight lifted in previously mentioned events) than athletes 20-25 years ago. This is not due to them just being more gifted or being harder workers or anything like that. Is is due to better training starting at a younger age and more sport specific focused training than in the past.

Let's compare the most elite athletes in the sport, NFL players.

Who is the 1970's/80's equivalent of Adrian Peterson? Randy Moss? Julius Peppers? Brian Urlacher? There is no one to compare these types of athletes to.

Today's athletes are bigger, faster, and stronger than they have been in the past. And 20 years from now they'll be able to say the same thing about today's athletes.

No one to compare??? how bout........Bo Jackson , Earl Campbell, Walter Payton from 70's/80's over Adrian Peterson, WR Lynn Swann -Randy Moss, and to many defensive players to mention.
I do agree though that today's athletes are bigger and faster, not sure on the stronger part

BlueBisonRock
08-03-2011, 11:15 PM
And as luck would have it.... There is a story in today's StarTrib discussing the advantages that strength and conditioning coaches give to high school teams. This is a story, not a study, but it does infer that effective use of offseason focused weight room and conditioning provides an advantage to the schools providing the programs.

The new arms race (http://www.mnfootballhub.com/news_article/show/98824?referrer_id=)

4mcruenomore
08-04-2011, 12:30 AM
And people think I blow threads up with stupid comments and arguements.

Bison06
08-04-2011, 01:07 AM
No one to compare??? how bout........Bo Jackson , Earl Campbell, Walter Payton from 70's/80's over Adrian Peterson, WR Lynn Swann -Randy Moss, and to many defensive players to mention.
I do agree though that today's athletes are bigger and faster, not sure on the stronger part

This is exactly my point.

Walter Payton had the speed of Adrian Peterson, but not the size.

Earl Campbell had the size and running style but not the breakaway speed. Campbell ran a 4.6, Adrian runs a 4.4.

Bo Jackson is actually a good comparison to Adrian.

Lynn Swann is not even a comparison to the size and speed of Randy Moss. 5'10 178 compared to Moss' 6'4 210 and the best breakaway speed of all time.

Here's the reality of athletes getting better all the time. Carl Lewis would barely make the final heat in the 100 meter dash at the olympics anymore and he once held the world record.

Bison06
08-04-2011, 01:11 AM
To add to my original point, skill players translate much better from generation to generation IMO. The real gap in size and speed is seen up front.

4mcruenomore
08-04-2011, 01:45 AM
To add to my original point, skill players translate much better from generation to generation IMO. The real gap in size and speed is seen up front.

It is not just about 40 times or who can lift the most weight. Look up the all time nfl 40 yard dash times once, it's a joke.

Do you really want to compare careers of Roger Craig to Adrian Peterson, Terry Bradshaw to McNabb, or Jerry Rice to Randy Moss???? Really??

Bison06
08-04-2011, 02:59 AM
It is not just about 40 times or who can lift the most weight. Look up the all time nfl 40 yard dash times once, it's a joke.

Do you really want to compare careers of Roger Craig to Adrian Peterson, Terry Bradshaw to McNabb, or Jerry Rice to Randy Moss???? Really??

How did this conversation turn to comparing careers? I simply said athletes today are more highly trained now than they were 20-30 years ago. How is this a controversial topic? Athletes have gotten bigger and faster over the past 20-30 years. It is a fact, check the rosters.

There have been two objective links in this thread, one that says NFL athletes are MUCH bigger now than they were 25 years ago, and another that says high schools are now employing certified strength and conditioning specialist so their athletes can keep up with the schools who are doing this. Something that some colleges weren't even doing 25 years ago. To say that athletes today are not more highly trained than they were 25 years ago is simply ignoring facts.

To my original point and to somewhat answer your question. I would love to compare the size/speed/athleticism of the 3 pairs of athletes you just named if you would like.

4mcruenomore
08-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Go ahead and compare "athleticism" of the three pairs of athletes I named. I hope you include their accomplishments and records? Because, MY POINT is that I could care less how many muscles you have, how fast your 40 time is, or how big you are, it doesn't mean crap if you can't play. TB has 4 rings, I give McNabb 1 more year and he is washed up, how about that for a comparison.

sambini
08-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Back on to fall camp.. I wish I was in town this weekend to watch some football.

4mcruenomore
08-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Back on to fall camp.. I wish I was in town this weekend to watch some football.

I'm getting the itch also

56BISON73
08-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm getting the itch also

Some A200 should fix you up in no time.:)

http://www.americanlifestyle.com/theproducts.cfm?master=2898

Bison06
08-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Go ahead and compare "athleticism" of the three pairs of athletes I named. I hope you include their accomplishments and records? Because, MY POINT is that I could care less how many muscles you have, how fast your 40 time is, or how big you are, it doesn't mean crap if you can't play. TB has 4 rings, I give McNabb 1 more year and he is washed up, how about that for a comparison.

Haha, I am not sure how to make it more clear to you, I only said they are more highly trained and more athletic. I would agree that the players you named are more accomplished football players. We were talking about the need for 2 a day practices and athletes today being more prone to injuries as a result of the way they train, not how accomplished they are.

Anyway, when is the first scrimmage?

4mcruenomore
08-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Haha, I am not sure how to make it more clear to you, I only said they are more highly trained and more athletic. I would agree that the players you named are more accomplished football players. We were talking about the need for 2 a day practices and athletes today being more prone to injuries as a result of the way they train, not how accomplished they are.

Anyway, when is the first scrimmage?

Have you ever seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftmVLvQyZAs

Facts
08-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Have you ever seen this?

Those players in your sig look really slow... except S.W. He appears to have crazy speed!

4mcruenomore
08-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Those players in your sig look really slow... except S.W. He appears to have crazy speed!

I think there is this misconception from some people that newer is always better. As far as my sig, I would take a Chris Simdorn or a Chris Carlson over a Nick Mertens ANYDAY.

Bison06
08-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Have you ever seen this?

No, hadn't seen that video, but had definately heard about his workouts.

I have to ask what point you are trying to make. I am not suggesting that athletes in the past didn't work hard at all, in fact, in some cases I have no doubt they actually worked harder than players from today. It's just that the information we have about how to work a body to get it to perform at it's peak has come so far that training has become a science.

If you really want to see how far it has come, here is a video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcCSdOqzNes&feature=relmfu

How many D-lineman 25 years ago were working with olympic sprinters?

aces1180
08-04-2011, 02:00 PM
I think there is this misconception from some people that newer is always better. As far as my sig, I would take a Chris Simdorn or a Chris Carlson over a Nick Mertens ANYDAY.

Um...I don't think any Bison fan would take Mertens over Simdorn unless they were sniffing glue. ;)

Bison06
08-04-2011, 02:00 PM

As would I.

4mcruenomore
08-04-2011, 02:42 PM
I will never understand why people are judged by their 40 time. Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 40. I doubt people cared about Cedrick Hardman's 40 time way back when either.

SDbison
08-04-2011, 05:14 PM
From gobison.com

Th, Aug. 4 - 3:30pm practice/Grass (acclimatization #1)
Fri, Aug. 5 – 10:30am Media Day / 2:30pm practice/Grass (acclimatization #2)
Sat, Aug. 6 - 10am practice/Dacotah (acclimatization #3)
Sun, Aug. 7 - 3pm practice/Grass (acclimatization #4)
Mon, Aug. 8 - 9:30am practice/Dacotah (acclimatization #5)
Tue, Aug. 9 - 2-A-Day, 9:30am Grass / 4:00pm Grass
Wed, Aug. 10 - 9:30am practice/Dacotah
Th, Aug. 11 - 2-A-Day, 9:30am Grass / 4:15pm Grass
Fri, Aug. 12 - 9:30am practice Dacotah
Sat, Aug. 13 - 10am practice Grass
Sun, Aug. 14 -- Off
Mon, Aug. 15 - 9:30am Dacotah
Tue, Aug. 16 - 9:30am practice Grass / Fan Day, 6:30 pm
Wed, Aug. 17 - 9:30am practice Dacotah
Th, Aug. 18 - 9:30am practice Grass
Fri, Aug. 19 - 9:30am practice Grass
Sat, Aug. 20 - 9:30am Scrimmage / Dacotah
Sun, Aug. 21 – Off
School Starts
Hopefully a bunch of us from Bisonville can get together to watch the scrimmage on Aug 20 as I will be in town. How about we meet someplace for breakfast and then head over to Dacotah field. Maybe tip back a few beers afterwards?

EndZoneQB
08-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Hopefully a bunch of us from Bisonville can get together to watch the scrimmage on Aug 20 as I will be in town. How about we meet someplace for breakfast and then head over to Dacotah field. Maybe tip back a few beers afterwards?

Or before? lol. I will be out of town so I can't make it, but I just had to add that.

ndsubison1
08-08-2011, 11:35 PM

i would be down

DjKyRo
08-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Or before?

Or during?

roadwarrior
08-09-2011, 12:16 AM
I would be there on the 20th, but instead I will be watching some dunking action up in Winnipeg that day.