PDA

View Full Version : Dacotah Field

SDbison
07-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Not sure if anyone has found this awesome link at the right side of the football webpage at gobison. Great pics showing the development of athletic facilities at NDAC / NDSU over the past 100 years. Some interesting aerial photos. I never realized the original track was a triangle with baseball field and gridiron in the middle. Also, back in the early to mid 1900's was there once a horse racing track about where University Village is now located?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/sets/72157625706289438/

Bison"FANatic"
07-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Check out that pole vaulting pic. Talk about having to have some balls. I wonder how many ankles were broke back in the day.

NDSU_grad
07-22-2011, 02:52 PM
A few things. NDAC was really in the middle of nowhere back in the day.
Is Iowa State Teachers' College now UNI? If so, the first ever game at the "new" Dacotah Field was against them. Pretty interesting piece of trivia.
It's interesting how the university was marketing itself as North Dakota State College even back in the 30's.

HerdBot
07-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Check out that pole vaulting pic. Talk about having to have some balls. I wonder how many ankles were broke back in the day.

No pads? Thats looks dangerous and painful.

An update on the bleachers. Posted in another thread but they are planning to fix the bleachers and make them usable again, as well as painting and making them look nice.

Bison15
07-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the link. Its is wonderful to see how things changed over the course of history. What year did they move Dacotah Field to its current location? I always thought it has been in the same place. How cool would it be to have a 20k seat stadium in the middle of campus now!

Notorious
07-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Very cool...quite a transformation.

I would love to have one of those old-school baseball sweaters!

tony
07-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Very cool! Looks like Churchill Hall used to have a great view of the football field.

Gully
07-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Good thread. It's nice to see someone post something with some real content instead of the endless inside joke type threads. Can't wait until the season so there is actually something to discuss.

TheDoctor
07-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Good thread. It's nice to see someone post something with some real content instead of the endless inside joke type threads.

I guess I have nothing to say other than......AMEN! ;)

bisonwest
07-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Good thread. It's nice to see someone post something with some real content instead of the endless inside joke type threads. Can't wait until the season so there is actually something to discuss.

I agree 100%!

IzzyFlexion
07-22-2011, 05:16 PM
http://grandpaedgar.org/images/Family%20Web%20Pictures/Kodak%20Pictures/CURTIS2.JPG

KUlawJack
07-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Is Iowa State Teachers' College now UNI? If so, the first ever game at the "new" Dacotah Field was against them. Pretty interesting piece of trivia.
It's interesting how the university was marketing itself as North Dakota State College even back in the 30's.

Yep.

more characters.

Twentysix
07-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Very cool! Looks like Churchill Hall used to have a great view of the football field.

Icebowl champions almost a decade straight. :P

KSBisonFan
07-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks SDBISON.

Those pix brought back some memories of Dakota Field. I'm pretty sure one of the pictures caught the infamous moment when one of the students threw an empty whiskey bottle back through the the press box window at Ed Schultz. All I remember is it was cold and the entire student section was lit up. I think it was 1990-1991? Maybe 1989.
Wish I could go back to those days. Great pictorial history.

BisonNeil
07-22-2011, 10:39 PM

Iowa State Teachers College was, indeed, UNI. I have a game program from 1946 when my father-in-law played for the Bison and played in that game.

SDbison
07-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Here is a link to a collection of other photos about NDSU including all the buildings, campus life, clubs, etc. I just spent a couple hours looking at them. Most interesting!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/collections/

Hammerhead
07-24-2011, 04:49 AM
Dacotah field was moved to the current home of the BSA for the 1950 season and was rebuilt next door when the BSA was contructed.

Thanks for the link. Its is wonderful to see how things changed over the course of history. What year did they move Dacotah Field to its current location? I always thought it has been in the same place. How cool would it be to have a 20k seat stadium in the middle of campus now!

Hammerhead
07-24-2011, 04:55 AM
That's where the fairgrounds used to be. http://www.fargo-history.com/fair/fair.htm.

I have very faint memories of the drive-in theater that used to be north of where the Fargodome now sits.

Also, back in the early to mid 1900's was there once a horse racing track about where University Village is now located?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/sets/72157625706289438/

56BISON73
07-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Here is a link to a collection of other photos about NDSU including all the buildings, campus life, clubs, etc. I just spent a couple hours looking at them. Most interesting!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/collections/

Thanks SD. That was great!!!

SDbison
07-24-2011, 01:54 PM
That's where the fairgrounds used to be. http://www.fargo-history.com/fair/fair.htm.

I have very faint memories of the drive-in theater that used to be north of where the Fargodome now sits.
Thanks! Good info. My parents moved to the area in 1965 and I don't recall going to the fair in that location (according to your link those fairgrounds were torn down in 1967). I only remember going to the fair in West Fargo since I was a young kid.
I do have memories of the star lite drive in theatre. Sneaking in through the exit after the movies were well underway, drinking beer and not watching much of the movie as in the reclined position with a girlfriend. :)

westnodak93bison
07-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks SDBISON.

Those pix brought back some memories of Dakota Field. I'm pretty sure one of the pictures caught the infamous moment when one of the students threw an empty whiskey bottle back through the the press box window at Ed Schultz. All I remember is it was cold and the entire student section was lit up. I think it was 1990-1991? Maybe 1989.

I thought the wiskey bottle ordeal was the opening game of 1988? Maybe I was a little to lit up?

Herd
07-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks SDBISON.

Let's make sure we have our facts straight. The bottle was not thrown at Ed Schultz, as the intent was to flip the bottle over the grandstand. It was a low throw through the press box window (which I witnessed), by mistake. Ed might have thought it was intentional, but it was not. Did you ever walk the ground below the south press box . . . flipping bottles over the press box was a standard practice in the 80's as shown by the large amount of broken glass on the ground. Also, I believe the bottle almost hit Dana, not Ed.

IzzyFlexion
07-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Let's make sure we have our facts straight. The bottle was not thrown at Ed Schultz, as the intent was to flip the bottle over the grandstand. It was a low throw through the press box window (which I witnessed), by mistake. Ed might have thought it was intentional, but it was not. Did you ever walk the ground below the south press box . . . flipping bottles over the press box was a standard practice in the 80's as shown by the large amount of broken glass on the ground. Also, I believe the bottle almost hit Dana, not Ed.

Ed just called me. He told me to tell you not to make a Mogckery out of this incident!:rimshot: :rimshot:

TbonZach
07-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Ed just called me. He told me to tell you not to make a Mogckery out of this incident!:rimshot: :rimshot:

Now that's my kind of joke!

"Must spread rep"

perthbison
07-25-2011, 05:07 AM
Also, I believe the bottle almost hit Dana, not Ed.

Darn!:( Better luck next time.

344Johnson
07-25-2011, 05:11 AM

must spread rep. LOL