PDA

View Full Version : A question for Bison fans in western ND

bisonwest
07-18-2011, 06:43 PM
I will probably be accepting a job that will bring me to western ND. This job will have me traveling around the Dickinson/Williston area mainly, and I was wondering how the radio coverage is out there. Is there any dead areas? Does the quality of the signal fade significantly at night? I am use to going to every game so it's bad enough that I will not be able to see every game, I at least need to be able to listen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

onbison09
07-18-2011, 07:19 PM
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showpost.php?p=510808&postcount=7

Twentysix
07-18-2011, 08:02 PM
I will probably be accepting a job that will bring me to western ND. This job will have me traveling around the Dickinson/Williston area mainly, and I was wondering how the radio coverage is out there. Is there any dead areas? Does the quality of the signal fade significantly at night? I am use to going to every game so it's bad enough that I will not be able to see every game, I at least need to be able to listen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I dread this.

MAKBison
07-18-2011, 08:07 PM
I have not had any issues hearing the game----The few times that I was in Glendive or about Eastern MT. You should be good----Good luck!

bajadanny
07-18-2011, 08:42 PM

Hey, I have spent lots of time out west and the reception for the 1:00 p.m. starts is acceptable, 3:00 you get most of the game but when the sun goes down you are hosed!! it is very very frustrating if 550 a.m. carries the game you have a chance.

This is a huge issue that needs to be resolved.

BadlandsBison
07-18-2011, 09:01 PM
There seems to be no problem tuning in Whioux games, go figure. Me and Killdeer listened to a Bison game while deer hunting in the badlands last fall. Didn't work too well.

roadwarrior
07-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Bismarck - KFYR-AM 550 (night)

I thought KFYR had a strong signal?

Tatanka
07-18-2011, 09:40 PM

By day, yes. By night, not so much.

OTOH, they do have a good webcast on iheartradio.com. Guessing that Bison games are blacked out of said webcast though.

BisBison
07-18-2011, 11:18 PM

KFYR is strong day or night. Trouble is their sister station 710 AM has a very weak signal at night. They use either station depending on Mary college's schedule. IF it's a night game on 710 it barely reaches New Salem.

westnodak93bison
07-19-2011, 02:10 PM
I addressed this issue with Gene a few years ago via email. I told him it is really sucks when you can't get a clear Bison game via radio but I was able to listen to a UNI playoff game while I was driving through CENTRAL Montana. Unacceptable imho.

bisonwest
07-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like it's gonna suck.:( I'm working every other week out there, so half the time I will be ensured a good signal. I may have to recruit my brother to give me updates when the signal goes to sh*t. Thanks again.

onbison09
07-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Does gobison work on a smartphone?

gotts
07-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like it's gonna suck.:( I'm working every other week out there, so half the time I will be ensured a good signal. I may have to recruit my brother to give me updates when the signal goes to sh*t. Thanks again.

How good will your cell service be?

EndZoneQB
07-19-2011, 10:48 PM

I have to believe it does...I know it would on my WM6.x ;)

Twentysix
07-19-2011, 11:11 PM

What does that mean? Its just an internet browser.

EndZoneQB
07-19-2011, 11:20 PM
What does that mean? Its just an internet browser.

I think hes talking about the streaming pass..

onbison09
07-19-2011, 11:39 PM
I think hes talking about the streaming pass..

Audio's free. I was just wondering if the audio worked on a smartphone.

4mcruenomore
07-20-2011, 12:18 AM
The real question should be is when are we drinking beer and talking bison football? Because that is what is important in western ND!!! LOL

Twentysix
07-20-2011, 12:23 AM

Ahhhh that i doubt.

bisonwest
07-20-2011, 04:44 AM
How good will your cell service be?

I have verizon. They have excellent coverage all over the state.

tcbison
07-20-2011, 01:42 PM

I have used KYCR-AM 1570 online for audio on my android phone and it works great. Not sure if Gobison.com works or not on a smartphone.

westnodak93bison
07-21-2011, 01:12 AM

Not a chance. Coverage is spotty at best imho. Very weak coverage in rural areas like Dunn, McKenzie, Golden Valley, Billings, Grant, Hettinger, Bowman, Slope counties etc.

Twentysix
07-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Not a chance. Coverage is spotty at best imho. Very weak coverage in rural areas like Dunn, McKenzie, Golden Valley, Billings, Grant, Hettinger, Bowman, Slope counties etc.

Eastern stark our Verizon phones wouldn't pickup anything. Altell seemed to work a lot better, but was far from perfect, voice. Data access is crappy in rural areas.

perthbison
07-21-2011, 04:29 AM
I lose calls driving through valleys a lot. They don't have every acre of ND covered yet.:facepalm2:

Gully
07-24-2011, 01:12 AM
I have used KYCR-AM 1570 online for audio on my android phone and it works great. Not sure if Gobison.com works or not on a smartphone.

Can you play AM 1570 on an iPhone yet? Last time I tried (UNI game) you couldn't because it needed Adobe flash.

TransAmBison
07-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Can you play AM 1570 on an iPhone yet? Last time I tried (UNI game) you couldn't because it needed Adobe flash.
Check with CAS. Oh wait, nevermind.*

*Another inside joke post that just doesn't seem to go away.** :D
**Because somebody has to give BV a rest from all the breaking news.

tcbison
07-25-2011, 05:56 PM

I have no idea on the iPhone. Our IT guy likes Android phones so that is what I have.

Gully
07-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Check with CAS. Oh wait, nevermind.*

*Another inside joke post that just doesn't seem to go away.** :D
**Because somebody has to give BV a rest from all the breaking news.

Are you sure you didn't forget to make your post look like a rainbow and have asterisks and many font sizes? Oh wait, you did some of those. :)

TransAmBison
07-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Are you sure you didn't forget to make your post look like a rainbow and have asterisks and many font sizes? Oh wait, you did some of those. :)
Yes, I did those.*

*Because I care.

Gully
07-25-2011, 10:38 PM
LOL. God please give us a press conference or something else to discuss around here.

WestDak
08-08-2011, 08:26 PM

Just curious if you looked at the information in the link that onbison09 posted in the first response to your question? If you are around Williston, you will be set with 660. If you are in Dickinson, day games are no problem. At night, 550 still comes in fairly well as far as I am concerned. I can get it with a little walkman radio no problem. You can also get 600 from Jamestown at night, so they will be a second option now. Mary's only "night" games are early in September, so the only NDSU game that could be on 710 is on Sept 10. All others should be on 550.

Believe me, I grew up in Dickinson, and it used to be really bad before NDSU took over control of the football network. I have no concerns at all about visiting Dickinson and being able to hear a game with the current network.

A1pigskin
08-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Hey, I have spent lots of time out west and the reception for the 1:00 p.m. starts is acceptable, 3:00 you get most of the game but when the sun goes down you are hosed!! it is very very frustrating if 550 a.m. carries the game you have a chance.

This is a huge issue that needs to be resolved.

The reception goes down as the sun goes down.

bisonwest
08-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Just curious if you looked at the information in the link that onbison09 posted in the first response to your question? If you are around Williston, you will be set with 660. If you are in Dickinson, day games are no problem. At night, 550 still comes in fairly well as far as I am concerned. I can get it with a little walkman radio no problem. You can also get 600 from Jamestown at night, so they will be a second option now. Mary's only "night" games are early in September, so the only NDSU game that could be on 710 is on Sept 10. All others should be on 550.

Believe me, I grew up in Dickinson, and it used to be really bad before NDSU took over control of the football network. I have no concerns at all about visiting Dickinson and being able to hear a game with the current network.

Yes sir. I appreciate everybody's input. I'm not going to be in Williston or Dickinson exclusively. I will be traveling all over the area and I'm not quite sure where my schedule is going to land me at game time so I'm just gonna have to to hope I'm in a good area and try to schedule my days as well as I can. I have been looking into getting a tablet through verizon and just paying for the service to watch on all access, but it sounds like there is some trouble receiving data in the rural areas. I will probably know a lot more once I actually get out there and get started.

EndZoneQB
08-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Yes sir. I appreciate everybody's input. I'm not going to be in Williston or Dickinson exclusively. I will be traveling all over the area and I'm not quite sure where my schedule is going to land me at game time so I'm just gonna have to to hope I'm in a good area and try to schedule my days as well as I can. I have been looking into getting a tablet through verizon and just paying for the service to watch on all access, but it sounds like there is some trouble receiving data in the rural areas. I will probably know a lot more once I actually get out there and get started.

If you have a smartphone supposedly the audio is free on gobison...

bajadanny
08-10-2011, 03:54 AM
The reception goes down as the sun goes down.

YES many times I have missed from the middle 3rd period on, changed locations etc etc. just no good.

From Watford City, Willow City, 660 in Williston fades fast as well, Dickinson I am not sure but the one guy says no problem.....mmmmm

Capn_Cat
08-10-2011, 12:46 PM
UNI's coverage reaches ten states+ and reception is crystal clear.

:duel:

DjKyRo
08-10-2011, 02:33 PM

Granted - however, the product on the field accomplishes nothing.

Oh wait, this isn't the genie thread.

Tatanka
08-10-2011, 02:48 PM

Pffffft.

Your posterior reaches 4 states+ all by itself and is well known in certain circles as being good at reception..

GradBison
08-10-2011, 03:09 PM

Ah, the proverbial "if a bear farts in the woods..."!

MNLonghorn10
08-10-2011, 03:49 PM

Well i hope the reception is good when panther fans need to listen because they are in iowa city or ames tailgating for those games

bisonmike2
08-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Well i hope the reception is good when panther fans need to listen because they are in iowa city or ames tailgating for those games

Very well done.:cheers:

tony
08-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Here's a visualization of how badly Cap'n Cat is being owned in this thread:

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/6666932cd6fdf18d7fa6f1723e783434a4b1e30e_m.gif

Capn_Cat
08-10-2011, 06:45 PM
All good humor, men.

Find it interesting, still, that the "flagship" university's football team can't be heard throughout the state. How about telegraph?

:confused:

bisonmike2
08-10-2011, 08:48 PM
All good humor, men.

Find it interesting, still, that the "flagship" university's football team can't be heard throughout the state. How about telegraph?

:confused:

In case you haven't noticed, there aren't many people in ND. They all just attend the games in person, no need to listen to it on the radio.