PDA

View Full Version : Soccer and Hockey...please read

344Johnson
07-13-2011, 07:17 AM
MLS, do many of you know what it means if someone brings it up at water cooler talk on monday? This is extremely doubtful. If someone says Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, you may have an idea they may be talking about soccer and might laugh. As would I, despite the fact I truly enjoy watching Barcelona and the German national team. Do more Americans know the American soccer goalie Tim Howard or American hockey goalie Ryan Miller? To me it is obvious, people know Ryan Miller more, and while I still believe this, to many a UND fans dismay, Major League Soccer(MLS) has overtaken the NHL as America's 4th most average attended game(match)

Yes, I know that MLS teams typically play in football stadiums normally occupied by the Seahawks, the Pats, etc. and even if they were awesome cannot sell out, and that SOME hockey teams are hamstrung by the lack of seating while others can't sell out an arena, but it cannot be ignored that at 17,500 fans roughly, they have overtaken the NHL, what do you guys think about this? Does this signal that hockey is dying or that soccer is slowly but surely growing in the US? Perhaps both? Either way I do not care but this will piss of some Whioux fans. I will not be offended, not that it matters, if this thread is bumped. I just find it a little bit funny that teh hockies is so important that it is America's 5th most popular sport now. On the play thats another bison......goal?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/933925/man-united's-sir-alex-ferguson-praises-growth-of-game-in-mls?cc=5901

mgbison
07-13-2011, 11:33 AM
who gives a crap? I'm sure you care more than most Sioux fans do. UND fans like their hockey, good for them. They have a $100 million arena and have a passionate fan base.

If NDSU had a hockey team and we were successful, I can guarantee 90% of the hockey bashers on this board would the worlds biggest hockey fans.

It makes sense that soccer is becoming more popular. More people live in the southern and coastal regions of the us than in the upper midwest and northeast (where most hockey fans are located). Also, if you want to get your kid/yourself hockey gear its gonna cost you around $500 for equipment, plus $80/hr for ice time. what does a soccer ball cost, maybe $40.

My hockey equipment cost was on the low end. Some skates can cost $700 dollars. If you are gonna play hockey, you better have some extra cash in the bank account.

IzzyFlexion
07-13-2011, 12:10 PM
I'll go ahead and weigh in.

I've been to a few dozen soccer games most of which I had to. (high school, college, pro, and one World Cup game.)

I've been to a few dozen hockey games (high school, college, and pro)

Watching live hockey > Watching live soccer by a pretty big margin. Again, just my personal opinion/preference.

NorthernBison
07-13-2011, 12:23 PM
I'll go ahead and weigh in.

I've been to a few dozen soccer games most of which I had to. (high school, college, pro, and one World Cup game.)

I've been to a few dozen hockey games (high school, college, and pro)

Watching live hockey > Watching live soccer by a pretty big margin. Again, just my personal opinion/preference.

White guys who grew up in NE North Dakota aren't the demographic that will grow soccer. Border Central probably didn't even have a soccer ball in the school.

The U.S. population is growing due to most of our new residents from countries that tend to worship soccer. That might be the biggest reason it is growing in popularity (not the only one). I still think that potential growth is limited though because even soccer fans see more excitement in our other sports.

Hockey? Great in person. Doesn't translate well to TV. That is an obstacle that is impossible to overcome. Growth is limited for that reason.

IzzyFlexion
07-13-2011, 01:00 PM
White guys who grew up in NE North Dakota aren't the demographic that will grow soccer. Border Central probably didn't even have a soccer ball in the school.

a)......who said I was a white guy?
and b).....we didn't have a single piece of hockey equipment either. I'm sure you'll find that to be a stunning announcement!! :biggrin:

onbison09
07-13-2011, 01:50 PM
who gives a crap? I'm sure you care more than most Sioux fans do. UND fans like their hockey, good for them. They have a $100 million arena and have a passionate fan base.

If NDSU had a hockey team and we were successful, I can guarantee 90% of the hockey bashers on this board would the worlds biggest hockey fans.

It makes sense that soccer is becoming more popular. More people live in the southern and coastal regions of the us than in the upper midwest and northeast (where most hockey fans are located). Also, if you want to get your kid/yourself hockey gear its gonna cost you around $500 for equipment, plus $80/hr for ice time. what does a soccer ball cost, maybe $40.

My hockey equipment cost was on the low end. Some skates can cost $700 dollars. If you are gonna play hockey, you better have some extra cash in the bank account.
DING DING DING DING DING DING! Also NBC (NHL) > ESPN2 (MLS). And the MLS has some rabid fan bases (Seattle routinely get 40,000+, Portland) that I'm sure skew the numbers. Also if you did a poll of who won the MLS Cup and Stanley Cup, way more people would name the Bruins over Real Salt Lake.

NorthernBison
07-13-2011, 01:54 PM
a)......who said I was a white guy?
and b).....we didn't have a single piece of hockey equipment either. I'm sure you'll find that to be a stunning announcement!! :biggrin:

a. I thought it was a safe assumption but probably was actually a bit dangerous and lacking on the PC side of the equation. Especially considering the existence of an ethnic minority just to the West. I do think I got the GUY thing correct.

b. Stunning that there was no hockey equipment in a school that close to Canada.

Notorious
07-13-2011, 01:57 PM

We do, and are!!!

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/NDSUHOCKEY/NDSUBisonHockeyAllTimeUpdated.pdf

Is Gene in Colorado Springs today??????

344Johnson
07-13-2011, 02:02 PM
irregardless of the assumption that we all have that hockey is more popular, I still found that pretty funny that a sport like soccer that so many of us laugh at averages more fans per game.

Twentysix
07-13-2011, 02:33 PM
MLS, do many of you know what it means if someone brings it up at water cooler talk on monday? This is extremely doubtful. If someone says Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, you may have an idea they may be talking about soccer and might laugh. As would I, despite the fact I truly enjoy watching Barcelona and the German national team. Do more Americans know the American soccer goalie Tim Howard or American hockey goalie Ryan Miller? To me it is obvious, people know Ryan Miller more, and while I still believe this, to many a UND fans dismay, Major League Soccer(MLS) has overtaken the NHL as America's 4th most average attended game(match)

Yes, I know that MLS teams typically play in football stadiums normally occupied by the Seahawks, the Pats, etc. and even if they were awesome cannot sell out, and that SOME hockey teams are hamstrung by the lack of seating while others can't sell out an arena, but it cannot be ignored that at 17,500 fans roughly, they have overtaken the NHL, what do you guys think about this? Does this signal that hockey is dying or that soccer is slowly but surely growing in the US? Perhaps both? Either way I do not care but this will piss of some Whioux fans. I will not be offended, not that it matters, if this thread is bumped. I just find it a little bit funny that teh hockies is so important that it is America's 5th most popular sport now. On the play thats another bison......goal?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/933925/man-united's-sir-alex-ferguson-praises-growth-of-game-in-mls?cc=5901

Never heard of either guys.

World cup soccer was a million times more interesting than an NHL game.

That said, USHL(force) is a million times more interesting than an NDSU soccer game.

Both soccer and hockey suck equally.

Irregardless is a nonstandard word, and it doesnt mean anything. Regardless is the word your looking for.

Someone somewhere yelled at me for trying to use it, now im doing it to you. You must in turn do it to someone else in the future.

344Johnson
07-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Never heard of either guys.

World cup soccer was a million times more interesting than an NHL game.

That said, USHL(force) is a million times more interesting than an NDSU soccer game.

Both soccer and hockey suck equally.

Irregaurdless is a nonstandard word, and it doesnt mean anything. Regaurdless is the word your looking for.

Well put two six. keep up the good work. 344 was pretty tired while posting, but regardless is the word you are looking for methinks? Rather than regaUrdless?

Twentysix
07-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Well put two six. keep up the good work. 344 was pretty tired while posting, but regardless is the word you are looking for methinks? Rather than regaUrdless?

Yeah, my spelling is bad, this I don't care to much about.

You should read the rest of the edit.

skolbrother
07-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Yeah, my spelling is bad, this I don't care to much about.

You should read the rest of the edit.

Another choice is: irrespective. You will sound more intelligent.

Notorious
07-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Signature Line edit: "unusual" rather than "exotic"

Skol...thank you for being our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe. ;)

skolbrother
07-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Signature Line edit: "unusual" rather than "exotic"

Skol...thank you for being our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe. ;)

Thats funny, re-watched it a couple months ago and realized my sig. line was wrong but then I thought it made me slightly more unusual & exotic to Bville.

EmeraldCityBison
07-13-2011, 07:40 PM
DING DING DING DING DING DING! Also NBC (NHL) > ESPN2 (MLS). And the MLS has some rabid fan bases (Seattle routinely get 40,000+, Portland) that I'm sure skew the numbers. Also if you did a poll of who won the MLS Cup and Stanley Cup, way more people would name the Bruins over Real Salt Lake.

Ummm... The Colorado Rapids won the MLS Cup last year. I guess you proved your own point.

Personally, I'd much rather go to a Sounders game (been to 12) than a Seahawks game (been to 3). Tickets are much more affordable and the atmosphere is a lot better. The game itself is personal preference. I prefer futbol.

Don't take this the wrong way but, to me, its a toss up between a Sounders and a Bison game.

Oh, and I'm not at all a fan of teh hockies.

duluthbison
07-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Soccer must die!

ndsubison1
07-13-2011, 08:18 PM

Real Madrid, Barcelona and the like arent MLS teams. boom

ndsubison1
07-13-2011, 08:22 PM

i highly doubt it would be more popular than football or bball here though

onbison09
07-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Ummm... The Colorado Rapids won the MLS Cup last year. I guess you proved your own point.

Damn! I even watched the second half too because the Dallas team was in it. And I'm not a soccer hater either. I love the world cup and quality international soccer.

BigDeal
07-13-2011, 10:33 PM

This ^ </thread>

344Johnson
07-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Real Madrid, Barcelona and the like arent MLS teams. boom

Wait, you are saying teams in Spain aren't in the US soccer league??? :omfg:

AjaxTheMighty
07-13-2011, 11:20 PM
We all know football is king in the USA, but, if we are going by attendance, I think NASCAR would be right behind football (maybe ahead) so to me hockey would be the country's 6th most popular sport. Face it. NASCAR is lightyears ahead of hockey in terms of popularity. Obviously TV ratings makes football #1.

Twentysix
07-14-2011, 12:02 AM
i highly doubt it would be more popular than football or bball here though

fully agree.

If we had hockey and a great arena or even a crappy one, We would support it. It would be like softball is for me... Go to a few homegames when i can make it... nothing like basketball or the king of all sports football!

As far as nascar goes....pretty much the same thing right? http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s14e08-poor-and-stupid