PDA

View Full Version : Scott Fuchs and the offensive line.

Scooter1
07-09-2011, 08:47 PM
This is Scott Fuch's third season as offensive line coach for the Bison. Scott has the offensive line for NDSU set to impose their will this season. Senior linemen Richard and Cornick are rock solid, improving dramatically under Fuch's guidance. Junior Joe Lund should be back and is a solid Center. Where Scott's value has really shown is the performance of the Underclassmen. Ty Beckius was a walk-on when he came to NDSU and made huge strides when Scott took over. Billy Turner and Jesse Hinz had impressive true freshman debuts and have improved this spring. Jeff Jerve is going to surprise alot of people when he is healthy. Generally, teams normally don't expect linemen to start contributing until their sophomore year. Scott got two true freshmen ready to go last year mostly due to the fact that the recruiting class that should have been sophomores was embarrassingly non existent. To start two true freshmen linemen and get into the playoffs almost unheard of. Now, It will be interesting to see how this new sophomore class of Gimmestad, Turner, Hinz, and Jerve fit into the mix. Jerve have been fighting the injury bug. Turner and Hinz are already proven players, but Gimmestad, he spent two years as a defensive lineman and is now a front runner for a starting spot on the line. You don't make that kind of switch and improvement without superior coaching.

In 2011, the offensive line should be fun to watch and it appears that Scott has the back up guys prepared enough that we won't see a true freshman breaking the rotation. And, they are bigger than last year, most everyone either being over 300 or a Supersized McDonald's #1 away from 300 lb. With Hinz, Britt, Beckius, Anderson, and Jerve ready to see playing time, RFR like Schueller and Pomerencke have less pressure to see time their RFR year. If Gimmestad continues to improve so that Cornick can move to tackle, the offensive line should be dramatically better and deeper than last season.

On to the future... NDSU signed three linemen last season. Each very different from the other. First you have a 6'2 270 pound guy that is a bruiser in Colville. Joe Haeg is 245 but has a big frame to put on weight. Jacob Lesar is Huge at 6'6 and 310 pounds. The verbal commitment from the Kindred kid last week is big. If NDSU can keep the services of Fuchs, the offensive line for the Bison should be among the best in the FCS by the time Turner, Gimmestad, Hinz, Jerve and Nack are seniors (if not much sooner). The future of the Bison offensive line is pretty bright. With Fuchs guiding them they have the potential to be great.

Edit - Took Hank Jacobs out

roadwarrior
07-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Great overview of the offensive line! Yes we are happy to have coach Fuchs at NDSU! The offensive line is where it all starts and hopefully we will see improved quarterback and receiver play this season as a result of it. The running game will march on behind these guys.

BisonNeil
07-09-2011, 09:02 PM
I agree with you, Fuchs is a great offensive line coach.

Regarding Hank Jacobs, my recollection is that he gave up football last year due to recurring back issues. However, with that said, his is listed on the Go Bison roster.

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11845&SPID=695&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=2400&SORT_ORDER=2&Q_SEASON=2011&PRINTABLE_PAGE=

However, he is not listed on the roster in the 2011 preseason media guide.

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf8/768292.pdf?KEY=ESCGMXLDZMFCRNT.20110620160136&DB_OEM_ID=2400

So, once again, as I pointed out in the thread on Zach Colvin, there are terrible inconsistencies with the roster produced by the media staff hence I really don't know if Jacobs is still playing football or not.

Scooter1
07-09-2011, 09:13 PM
I agree with you, Fuchs is a great offensive line coach.

Regarding Hank Jacobs, my recollection is that he gave up football last year due to recurring back issues. However, with that said, his is listed on the Go Bison roster.

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11845&SPID=695&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=2400&SORT_ORDER=2&Q_SEASON=2011&PRINTABLE_PAGE=

However, he is not listed on the roster in the 2011 preseason media guide.

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf8/768292.pdf?KEY=ESCGMXLDZMFCRNT.20110620160136&DB_OEM_ID=2400

So, once again, as I pointed out in the thread on Zach Colvin, there are terrible inconsistencies with the roster produced by the media staff hence I really don't know if Jacobs is still playing football or not.

Shit. Hank had potential. Kind of like Wellenstein who couldn't get healthy.

SamsRams
07-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Love Those Rams!!!

KHCO

westnodak93bison
07-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Amazing that Gimmestad can play DL for two years then step in and take a starting spot at OG.

tony
07-09-2011, 11:22 PM
...Regarding Hank Jacobs, my recollection is that he gave up football last year due to recurring back issues. However, with that said, his is listed on the Go Bison roster.

Jacobs had to sit out spring ball with a back injury and the year before with a shoulder injury. Bohl did an interview with Forum/WDAY a couple months ago in which he said Hank's playing days might be over.

Guess we'll know on media day but it doesn't sound good.

Still, I have high hopes for the offensive line.

AjaxTheMighty
07-10-2011, 02:44 AM
Good analysis. The offensive/defensive line, as always, is THE key to winning and losing. "It all starts up front".

Bison bison
07-10-2011, 03:12 AM
Two things.

1. Austin needs to learn self-control.
2. I never want to see anything like last years UNI debacle.

CaBisonFan
07-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Excellent article Scooter. It's good reading and informational. Thanks

HandoEX
07-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Pretty sure Jerve is no where close to healthy. Hopefully he can recover by fall camp.

Scooter1
07-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Pretty sure Jerve is no where close to healthy. Hopefully he can recover by fall camp.

i know...that's why I said "Jeff Jerve is going to surprise alot of people when he is healthy."

Notorious
07-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Fuchs is awsome...good thing he has strong NDSU ties, or he would have moved up the ladder a few more rungs by now. Hope he stays for a long time.

Answer Guy
07-11-2011, 03:30 PM
good thing he has strong NDSU ties, or he would have moved up the ladder a few more rungs by now. Hope he stays for a long time.

Was that about Fuchs or Vigen? :hide:

Tatanka
07-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Was that about Fuchs or Vigen? :hide:
http://rubenerd.com/uploads/bluesbrothers425.jpeg
Don't you BLASPHEME in HERE...

ndbj52
07-12-2011, 02:53 AM
Jerve will be good, knee injuries are tough to recover from though I think by the start of the season though he should be good.

If you ever get a chance to talk to Coach Fuchs do it. He is a cool guy and really entertaining.

I am excited to see what these guys can do this year, especially with the the depth in the backfield behind these guys.

A1pigskin
07-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Good line = time to throw.

HerdBot
07-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Jerve will be good, knee injuries are tough to recover from though I think by the start of the season though he should be good.

If you ever get a chance to talk to Coach Fuchs do it. He is a cool guy and really entertaining.

I am excited to see what these guys can do this year, especially with the the depth in the backfield behind these guys.

Im not sure how microfracture (sp) effects lineman. I know its a big deal for basketball players and skilled players who do a lot of jumping. Best case he plays this year. Worst case he gets an extra year for medical. I know he's a big dude and has big time potential.