PDA

View Full Version : Bentrim Touchdown Record Game vs UND - 1986 - Full Game

CaBisonFan
07-04-2011, 02:34 AM
This is worth a watch. It shows how Bentrim and his teammates dismantled teams. Notice the non-celebration after most touchdowns...class...and sends a message of...ah..."that's normal."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uegeq-Mcy30

DjKyRo
07-04-2011, 02:52 AM
You're the man, CA. Thanks!

perthbison
07-04-2011, 04:31 AM
You're the man, CA. Thanks!

Fun to watch this again. Bentrim running the option was a thing of beauty.

CaBisonFan
07-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Fun to watch this again. Bentrim running the option was a thing of beauty.

I grew up watching Texas, Oklahoma, & Nebraska running various forms of the option....wishbone, etc. But I've never seen a QB run it better than Bentrim. Maybe there were more athletic ones...but no one had the timing, decision-making, and feel for the game down better than him.

BisonNeil
07-04-2011, 02:56 PM
I remember the headline in the sports section of the GF Herald the next day:

"Season of Misery Ends"

Classic.

North Side
07-05-2011, 03:26 AM
At 2:40 the annoucer says Bisonville :D

Does anyone know if there was a video copy made of the UND NDSU basketball game? I LOVED to see us roll the _________ again!

CAS4127
07-06-2011, 03:30 AM
At 2:40 the annoucer says Bisonville :D

Does anyone know if there was a video copy made of the UND NDSU basketball game? I LOVED to see us roll the _________ again!

While TD was awesome, it was staged a bit! He still deservedd
It. Not like first TD record wasn't the same!

AjaxTheMighty
07-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Anyone notice how Schultz has absolutely no energy in his voice when the Bison touch the football or even score? But when the Whioux have a 4 yard gain or knock a football down he is all excited. Also brings up the fact that the Whioux are all excited about their "35 redshirts" like 10 times. I can't imagine what it smells like up there, you know, with his head right up his ass.

bri-dog
07-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Anyone notice how Schultz has absolutely no energy in his voice when the Bison touch the football or even score? But when the Whioux have a 4 yard gain or knock a football down he is all excited. Also brings up the fact that the Whioux are all excited about their "35 redshirts" like 10 times. I can't imagine what it smells like up there, you know, with his head right up his ass.

Yeah, I noticed stuff like that too. What I really got a kick out of was at the end of the 1st quarter when he was talking about how awesome the whioux were doing against the option. This was while they were showing 93 yards rushing in the 1st quarter, on pace for 372. Not the worst ever, but not exactly stellar...

KilldeerBison
07-07-2011, 02:27 PM

Agree, he's watching history being made and refuses to talk about it. When the Bison have the ball it's about UND's defense. When UND has the ball it's about how they almost score on every series, not much credit to the Bison D.
Thanks CA, good to see this!

No_Skill
07-08-2011, 02:46 AM
I was 8 years old when this game took place and had no idea what a Bison or a Sioux was.

Loved watching this! Thanks for posting CA!

sambini
07-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Iwas there thanks CA++++

CAS4127
07-08-2011, 03:44 AM
There is a bit of a story behind the record-breaking TD--but there usually is one behind all records. Sambini likely knows what I am talking about. For those who don't--well, it's right in front of u!!!

sambini
07-08-2011, 04:32 AM
There is a bit of a story behind the record-breaking TD--but there usually is one behind all records. Sambini likely knows what I am talking about. For those who don't--well, it's right in front of u!!!

Yes I do....

HerdBot
07-08-2011, 05:15 AM
This is worth a watch. It shows how Bentrim and his teammates dismantled teams. Notice the non-celebration after most touchdowns...class...and sends a message of...ah..."that's normal."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uegeq-Mcy30

Love seeing the old Bison Football show from 86. Seeing Ed Schultz 25 years younger brings back some memories. I didn't realize they did the football show on a Friday back then. Interesting.

What strikes me is how arrogant everyone involving UND is. You can tell it just kills them to get their ass handed to them.

You wouldn't have the famous whiskey bottle game where Ed started swearing on live TV? I think someone threw a bottle in the pressbox. I was at the game. Just a young kid.

CaBisonFan
07-08-2011, 09:06 AM
IMO...the best announcer in Bison history was Boyd Christenson....but most of u are too young to remember much about him. He simply broadcast the game...and only became excited when it was real. Next...I'd put Ed. I think that he overplayed the UND thing in an attempt to be....hehehehe....fair & balanaced...which is why it was so ridiculous. The Bison were so completely dominant that he tried to compensate. Tried to play to the hearts of the UND followers simply because WDAY wanted their business. It was all about viewership. Sound familiar? They were in the correct division. We weren't.

Thing is...the Sioux (most years) really weren't that bad. We were just that much better. Same applies to most of DII. We were so far above most teams that it was ridiculous. Just a few teams could play with us. USD was one of them. Outside of USD...we had to get to the playoffs to meet legitimate challengers. So we should have been DI-AA or higher most of the time. We would have won several DI-AA championships. Maybe not as many...but the mid-80s teams would have bowled over many, many DI teams. No lack of talent there.

We we a DI team in disguise. So when the discussion about which teams were better happens...it's really pointless.

We were simply great. But that's Bison football...as it should be...always. The Walker-era teams had their 'own' kind of greatness. We'll never forget them.

BlueBisonRock
07-08-2011, 03:40 PM
IMO...the best announcer in Bison history was Boyd Christenson....but most of u are too young to remember much about him. He simply broadcast the game...and only became excited when it was real. Next...I'd put Ed. I think that he overplayed the UND thing in an attempt to be....hehehehe....fair & balanaced...which is why it was so ridiculous. The Bison were so completely dominant that he tried to compensate. Tried to play to the hearts of the UND followers simply because WDAY wanted their business. It was all about viewership. Sound familiar? They were in the correct division. We weren't.

Thing is...the Sioux (most years) really weren't that bad. We were just that much better. Same applies to most of DII. We were so far above most teams that it was ridiculous. Just a few teams could play with us. USD was one of them. Outside of USD...we had to get to the playoffs to meet legitimate challengers. So we should have been DI-AA or higher most of the time. We would have won several DI-AA championships. Maybe not as many...but the mid-80s teams would have bowled over many, many DI teams. No lack of talent there.

We we a DI team in disguise. So when the discussion about which teams were better happens...it's really pointless.

We were simply great. But that's Bison football...as it should be...always. The Walker-era teams had their 'own' kind of greatness. We'll never forget them.

Boyd was fantastic!

Ed sucked then, he sucks now, and he sucked during the in between years. In fact, Ed is stuck in perpetual suckiness.

I would rather watch a week straight of butthockey in the Ralph with their hostile and abusive fans* screaming at me than listen to a minute of Ed's self promoting crap.

AG would not be included in this squirming and vocal mass as he would be wandering the beaches of W. ND with Note and / or CAS looking for another place to plant his flag.

TWSS

Hey, did Note just smile?

CaBisonFan
07-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Boyd was fantastic!

Ed sucked then, he sucks now, and he sucked during the in between years. In fact, Ed is stuck in perpetual suckiness.

I would rather watch a week straight of butthockey in the Ralph with their hostile and abusive fans* screaming at me than listen to a minute of Ed's self promoting crap.

AG would not be included in this squirming and vocal mass as he would be wandering the beaches of W. ND with Note and / or CAS looking for another place to plant his flag.

TWSS

Hey, did Note just smile?

And ever since those two guys (with the exception of Phil Hansen)...it's been....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. ..my, oh my...:cool:

onbison09
07-08-2011, 04:59 PM
And ever since those two guys (with the exception of Phil Hansen)...it's been....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. ..my, oh my...:cool:

What? :duel:

CaBisonFan
07-08-2011, 05:18 PM
What? :duel:

fightin' words....huh ? not arguing...but who has been a dynamic voice of the Bison in the past couple of decades?

bri-dog
07-08-2011, 05:26 PM
I wish I could've gone to this game, but I moved to CO in 1985. I did go to the 1984 game when I was living in El Fuckup Grande. Eddie alluded to that game in this broadcast; that was a miserable sumbeach. If I remember correctly (and I might not, my brain was frozen and schnapped-up) the Bison went for it on 4th and 1 from their own 10-yard line or so. They converted and ended up scoring the only TD of the game. Somebody may correct me on that...

runtheoption
07-08-2011, 05:29 PM

The receiver does let up a bit so he can get tackled. Pretty sure he could have ran in untouched. Kind of reminds me of Favre laying down so Strahan could get the single season sack record.

I probably listened to this on the radio while my Dad and I were roadhunting. This is the first time I actually saw this on video.

tony
07-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I wish I could've gone to this game, but I moved to CO in 1985. I did go to the 1984 game when I was living in El Fuckup Grande. Eddie alluded to that game in this broadcast; that was a miserable sumbeach. If I remember correctly (and I might not, my brain was frozen and schnapped-up) the Bison went for it on 4th and 1 from their own 10-yard line or so. They converted and ended up scoring the only TD of the game. Somebody may correct me on that...

AH, that was the one that the GF field was completely covered in snow and NDSU could barely run the option because nobody could turn the corner and get up field. Pretty sure NDSU went for it because the punt was into the wind and UND's offense wasn't doing anything.

The terrible field conditions in 1984 were probably the reason NDSU's coach was so preoccupied with the field in 1986 even though it looked like the UND folks did a really good job to me. Not sure they could have done anything about 1984's field - pretty sure it was still grass back then.

Anyway, in 1984, NDSU scored two TDs in that game and won 14-3.

Answer Guy
07-08-2011, 06:42 PM

Western ND is possible. But I don't use no stinkin' wingmen when I'm flag planting. Especially Note.

Notorious
07-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Western ND is possible. But I don't use no stinkin' wingmen when I'm flag planting. Especially Note.

When's your trip to Indianapolis again?...the 25th? Come on out after that, if Jody Hodgson say it's okay.

Bison Dan
07-08-2011, 06:55 PM
AH, that was the one that the GF field was completely covered in snow and NDSU could barely run the option because nobody could turn the corner and get up field. Pretty sure NDSU went for it because the punt was into the wind and UND's offense wasn't doing anything.

The terrible field conditions in 1984 were probably the reason NDSU's coach was so preoccupied with the field in 1986 even though it looked like the UND folks did a really good job to me. Not sure they could have done anything about 1984's field - pretty sure it was still grass back then.

Anyway, in 1984, NDSU scored two TDs in that game and won 14-3.

Earl was pissed at RT because we offered to help clean the turf with our equipment - (we had heaters to melt the ice) but und refused. They wanted a slippery field. If Earl could have put 100 points on the board without it looking like he was running it up he would have. Earl was real concerned about injuries because we had the playoffs ahead of us, RT didn't give a shit if his players got hurt they were going home for Thanksgiving.

onbison09
07-08-2011, 08:03 PM
fightin' words....huh ? not arguing...but who has been a dynamic voice of the Bison in the past couple of decades?

I guess I was thinking of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XO4QBO4iY :nod: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/themudpig/excited.gif

KilldeerBison
07-08-2011, 08:05 PM
How about Big Eddie crowing about how “the biggest touch of class” he saw that day was Roger Thomas telling Bentrim “good job” after the game was over. Or, Big Eddie’s braggadocios statement, from the former USD D. coordinator telling him “no way NDSU beats USD if they meet in the playoffs”, “you can’t beat a good FB team twice in one year”. You’d hardly know Bentrim set a NCAA record that day; I’d rather have a dead microphone than listen to his idiotic opinions!

BlueBisonRock
07-08-2011, 09:30 PM
How about Big Eddie crowing about how “the biggest touch of class” he saw that day was Roger Thomas telling Bentrim “good job” after the game was over. Or, Big Eddie’s braggadocios statement, from the former USD D. coordinator telling him “no way NDSU beats USD if they meet in the playoffs”, “you can’t beat a good FB team twice in one year”. You’d hardly know Bentrim set a NCAA record that day; I’d rather have a dead microphone than listen to his idiotic opinions!

Yep! :judges:

CaBisonFan
07-09-2011, 12:46 AM
I guess I was thinking of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XO4QBO4iY :nod: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/themudpig/excited.gif

You have a point with this...but I like the frog better...:cool:

CAS4127
07-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Earl was pissed at RT because we offered to help clean the turf with our equipment - (we had heaters to melt the ice) but und refused. They wanted a slippery field. If Earl could have put 100 points on the board without it looking like he was running it up he would have. Earl was real concerned about injuries because we had the playoffs ahead of us, RT didn't give a shit if his players got hurt they were going home for Thanksgiving.

If RT = Roger Thomas, he wasn't there at the time, it was Bearns (sp?).

CAS4127
07-11-2011, 06:56 PM

Big Eddie was our announcer back then.

USD DC probably recalled 85, where they kicked our asses in regular season and we beat them in PO's.

Bison Dan
07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
If RT = Roger Thomas, he wasn't there at the time, it was Bearns (sp?).

No it was Roger's first Bison/sue game.

CAS4127
07-11-2011, 07:05 PM
No it was Roger's first Bison/sue game.

Your right, 85 was B's last year, wasn't it. I think we only beat them 49-0 at Dakota Field that year!

CaBisonFan
07-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Your right, 85 was B's last year, wasn't it. I think we only beat them 49-0 at Dakota Field that year!

That's all? Must have been an off day for the Bison...:cool:

tony
07-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Funny, when I lived in Mandan, I never noticed Rog Higgins' Boston accent.

Higgins had one of the better lines too: They were talking about Bentrim being a favorite to win the first ever Harlon Hill award and Rog said something like, "Hey, if Bentrim wins, maybe he'll get to be All-Conference this year" which was a dig at the NCC for never naming Bennie first team All-Conference.

BTW, I wish they had televised more Bison games back then rather than just the UND games (which, as you can see, wasn't even close to sold out despite a large number of Bison fans.) If there is no NFL this fall, it would be great to have replays of old Bison games on Sundays rather then celebrity bowling.

CaBisonFan
07-12-2011, 06:12 AM
Funny, when I lived in Mandan, I never noticed Rog Higgins' Boston accent.

Higgins had one of the better lines too: They were talking about Bentrim being a favorite to win the first ever Harlon Hill award and Rog said something like, "Hey, if Bentrim wins, maybe he'll get to be All-Conference this year" which was a dig at the NCC for never naming Bennie first team All-Conference.

I didn't realize that Bennie never made first-team All-Conference. Best player in the conference and the country. Sounds like a 'Believe It, Or Not' series.

tony
07-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I didn't realize that Bennie never made first-team All-Conference. Best player in the conference and the country. Sounds like a 'Believe It, Or Not' series.

Bentrim did get named first team all-conference his senior year, but the 1986 team hadn't been announced at the time of this game.