PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota football recruiting this year anchored in small towns

JustinTyem
06-30-2011, 06:57 AM
By: Jeff Kolpack, INFORUM:FARGO – A quarterback and three big linemen appear to be the most sought-after college football recruits out of North Dakota this summer. All four are from small towns, including two from Harvey.

Quarterback-safety M.J. Stumpf from Harvey and offensive lineman Jack Plankers from Kindred have scholarship offers from North Dakota State. Both recently attended the Bison summer camp that also acts like a recruiting tryout.

The attraction to Plankers is obvious.He’s 6-foot-8 and 310 pounds.

Full article here: http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/article/id/49078/group/Sports/

IzzyFlexion
06-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Here is a link to Plankers wrestling.
He doesn't appear to 6' 8" but.......maybe.
He is big for a high schooler. He has the frame to be huge with 2 or 3 years of hardcore training. He's definately not "fat looking" for being 310# so maybe 6' 8" is right.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=bvre&xhr=t&q=jack+plankers+kindred&cp=0&pq=jack+plankers+kindred&safe=off&rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS409&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=572&wrapid=tljp130942903963230&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

westnodak93bison
06-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Here is a link to Plankers wrestling.
He doesn't appear to 6' 8" but.......maybe.
He is big for a high schooler. He has the frame to be huge with 2 or 3 years of hardcore training. He's definately not "fat looking" for being 310# so maybe 6' 8" is right.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=bvre&xhr=t&q=jack+plankers+kindred&cp=0&pq=jack+plankers+kindred&safe=off&rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS409&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=572&wrapid=tljp130942903963230&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

yeah looks can be deceiving. I remember seeing Brent Qvale at the state track meet his senior year. I thought to myself he has plenty of frame to put on some weight and he comes into the Nebraska camp at 6' 7" and around 320 lb!

spelunker64
06-30-2011, 01:56 PM
He's big, built and a great kid

DjKyRo
06-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Going 4/4 on these guys would be dope. Gotta keep the lock on ND recruiting and picking up small-town talent is huge for the rest of the state's perception of NDSU. All four of these guys look like they can be contributors.

SUBISON247
06-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Hopefully Plankers coach is in his ear, then we should get him unless he gets a bigger offer.

TheBisonator
06-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Are all of them FCS-caliber players though?? Looks like Stumpf and Plankers are both good enough, don't know about the other two.

If they want to stay in-state and aren't good enough for NDSU, I'm sure Mary or UND could give them a call. :)

CAS4127
06-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Hopefully Plankers coach is in his ear, then we should get him unless he gets a bigger offer.

Well, NDSU and Harvey do have somewhat of a history--just sayin. I sure Rocky would have no problem giving the guy a call, but who knows what relationship exists between Bohl and Rock!

BlueBisonRock
06-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Well, NDSU and Harvey do have somewhat of a history--just sayin. I sure Rocky would have no problem giving the guy a call, but who knows what relationship exists between Bohl and Rock!

Harvey has a long tradition of success on the gridiron. I would love to see this kid extend his experiences to the NDSU tradition! And yes, that tradition dates back to BR. (Before RockyH - not to be confused with RockyB, RockyE, or RockyF from just down the road. There were a lot of Rocks in Central ND back then!)

SUBISON247
06-30-2011, 07:18 PM

Plankers is not from Harvey he is from Kindred and his coach is Cody Kittleson an NDSU alum and former player. It is nice to have that kind of influnce on recruit.

onbison09
06-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Harvey has a long tradition of success on the gridiron. I would love to see this kid extend his experiences to the NDSU tradition! And yes, that tradition dates back to BR. (Before RockyH - not to be confused with RockyB, RockyE, or RockyF from just down the road. There were a lot of Rocks in Central ND back then!)

In my 15 years of living in Rugby, we beat Harvey once that I remember. :facepalm: (And we had some good teams too. Made the state finals a few times)

BlueBisonRock
06-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Plankers is not from Harvey he is from Kindred and his coach is Cody Kittleson an NDSU alum and former player. It is nice to have that kind of influnce on recruit.

Yep.

And Stumpf is from Harvey. Some would say the middle of nowhere. I would say it isn't, but you can see it from there.

Both would be assets to NDSU.

I love to see the small town ND kids succeed and show their stuff on the field.

BlueBisonRock
06-30-2011, 08:50 PM
In my 15 years of living in Rugby, we beat Harvey once that I remember. :facepalm: (And we had some good teams too. Made the state finals a few times)

We only played them in scrimmages as they were a class higher. But there was a history and damn were those scrimmages fun!

stevdock
06-30-2011, 08:57 PM

From talking to him the other day, Jack's wish list is Wisconsin, Minnesota and NDSU. Right now nobody else is on his radar. Jack has all the body of a D1 caliber player. Definitely has the smarts to handle it too. Hope he has the agility and footwork to do it though. That's the question, but I've seen how dedicated he is and he is going to give it his all to make it happen.

onbison09
06-30-2011, 09:04 PM
We only played them in scrimmages as they were a class higher. But there was a history and damn were those scrimmages fun!

They were a class higher than us (not sure if they still are with the new divisions) and still beat us. But the games were always close I remember that.

NDSUDude
06-30-2011, 09:15 PM
I would be shocked if Plankers doesn't get a few FBS offers

JustinTyem
06-30-2011, 10:12 PM
I would be shocked if Plankers doesn't get a few FBS offers Im :praying: that he doesnt get one,this way we can get him in green and gold!!!!

Bryan
06-30-2011, 10:39 PM
did he attend the Wisc or MN camps? thats probably the only way a small town north dakota kid is going to land and big offer.

EndZoneQB
06-30-2011, 11:03 PM
did he attend the Wisc or MN camps? thats probably the only way a small town north dakota kid is going to land and big offer.

He sure has...

Plankers has also been to camps at the University of Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin. Neither has apparently generated a scholarship yet. Kittelson said Wisconsin was going to call him after the camp but had yet to do so.

CaBisonFan
06-30-2011, 11:41 PM
What a great name for an offensive lineman....Plankers...please come to NDSU.

Twentysix
07-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Man hes gonna be hard to see over, a 6'5 QB is looking better and better.

He is really tall. 6'8! Damn!

spelunker64
07-01-2011, 02:26 AM
Plankers is not from Harvey he is from Kinert and his coach is Cody Kittleson an NDSU alum and former player. It is nice to have that kind of influnce on recruit.

Fixed it for ya

ndsubison1
07-01-2011, 07:15 AM
They were a class higher than us (not sure if they still are with the new divisions) and still beat us. But the games were always close I remember that.

rugby is now AA

Mr. Burgundy
07-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Great article in the Forum today on Plankers. I have seen him play hoops several times. His body is just a gift. Dude is massive and carries it really well. Very skilled. If he lived in Minnesota, or even Fargo for that matter, he would have a ton of looks. I think we will get him. He has a full ride offer with his great ACT score. He is a good kid too. Would be fun to have a local kid verbal early. Fun to follow his senior season.

westnodak93bison
07-01-2011, 02:09 PM
ND sure has produced some good OL recruits in the last few years. Qvale, McGovern, Plankers and the kid from Minot that verballed to HI.

NorthernBison
07-01-2011, 02:43 PM
rugby is now AA

Rugby just got moved up. They were Class A last year in essentially the same region as Harvey is joining now. Harvey was in a region out west with Velva.

Harvey is now co-oped with Fessenden/Bowdon/Hurdsfield/Sykeston. They are the smallest combined enrollment in Class A at 69.

Their region (#2) consists of Larimore, Langdon, Hatton/Northwood, Westhope/Newburg, Rolla/Rock Lake, Midway/Minto, and Park River/Fordville/Lankin.

Larimore and Langdon are both listed at 104 students and are the largest in Class A. Rugby is 107 to give you some perspective.

Note: Cavalier is now dropping to 9-man. Actually some big changes are occurring.

BadlandsBison
07-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Cavalier going 9man!? The days of pounding Dickinson Trinity seem so long ago...

IzzyFlexion
07-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Rugby just got moved up. They were Class A last year in essentially the same region as Harvey is joining now. Harvey was in a region out west with Velva.

Harvey is now co-oped with Fessenden/Bowdon/Hurdsfield/Sykeston. They are the smallest combined enrollment in Class A at 69.

Their region (#2) consists of Larimore, Langdon, Hatton/Northwood, Westhope/Newburg, Rolla/Rock Lake, Midway/Minto, and Park River/Fordville/Lankin.

Larimore and Langdon are both listed at 104 students and are the largest in Class A. Rugby is 107 to give you some perspective.

Note: Cavalier is now dropping to 9-man. Actually some big changes are occurring.

What about Hannah, Alsen, Hampden, Border Central, Egeland, Nekoma, Bisbee, and Osnabrock?
Are they going to 11-man?:( *
Hard to believe that Langdon is sitting at 104 students. Is that 9-12?

* I was considering using the "big grin" emoticon......Turns out, it's way more sad than it is funny. :(

NorthernBison
07-01-2011, 03:11 PM
What about Hannah, Alsen, Hampden, Border Central, Egeland, Nekoma, Bisbee, and Osnabrock?
Are they going to 11-man?:( *
Hard to believe that Langdon is sitting at 104 students. Is that 9-12?

* I was considering using the "big grin" emoticon......Turns out, it's way more sad than it is funny. :(

I think the numbers I quoted are male students because it came from the NDHSAA Football Plan.

Langdon numbers would be Langdon, Munich, Osnabrock, and Milton. The website also lists St. Alphonsus so that probably takes into account the previous year's 8th grade there. I'm guessing they used 8-11 enrollments for all schools when they put the plan together. The current plan is for 2011-2012.

Edit: I looked at the plan and they used male 7-10 enrollments.

onbison09
07-01-2011, 06:52 PM

That's too bad. We could never beat them either.

MN_BISON
07-01-2011, 09:26 PM
It's my understanding that the Cavalier in 9 man is one year thing. There was a paperwork mix up as in they didn't get it in on time to play in Class A. I'm sure the good folks in Cav aren't too happy about being in 9 man.

NorthernBison
07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
It's my understanding that the Cavalier in 9 man is one year thing. There was a paperwork mix up as in they didn't get it in on time to play in Class A. I'm sure the good folks in Cav aren't too happy about being in 9 man.

The plan is good for 2 years. Cavalier might have wanted to elect to play up as you say. I don't know if the NDHSAA will want to redo the regions. They might be stuck there for 2 years.

Cavalier had a very strong class that just graduated. They have numbers problems and significantly less overall talent coming up. They might be better off in 9 man for now and maybe for a while to come.

MN_BISON
07-02-2011, 12:02 AM
The plan is good for 2 years. Cavalier might have wanted to elect to play up as you say. I don't know if the NDHSAA will want to redo the regions. They might be stuck there for 2 years.

Cavalier had a very strong class that just graduated. They have numbers problems and significantly less overall talent coming up. They might be better off in 9 man for now and maybe for a while to come.

Yep, forgot it was a two year deal. As for what Cavalier should do and what they will actually do is another story. It's my guess that going 9 man will be a hard pill for them to swallow, having to play "down" to the level of North Border and the other surrounding schools won't be looked at in good favor. There are a lot of people who still view the community as though it were still 20 years ago, the big dog on the block; which as we can all see just isn't the case any more. Co-ops and rapidly falling numbers will do that to a district I guess. It wasn't that long ago that one or two classes in their high school was about the size of any school around with the exception being Langdon.

BraxtonT
07-02-2011, 01:24 AM
Harvey is now co-oped with Fessenden/Bowdon/Hurdsfield/SYKESTON. They are the smallest combined enrollment in Class A at 69.

Actually, the Sykeston school district is now part of the Carrington district. Since the consolidation of the two, though, some students from Sykeston have gone over to Fessenden to attend Wells County High School.