PDA

View Full Version : The Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda Years

CaBisonFan
06-28-2011, 10:31 PM
We've enjoyed a lot of great football at North Dakota State for decades. We have 8 national championships to show for it. It's great.

I've often wondered how many times we've had championship-caliber teams that for some reason didn't quite get there. Perhaps a great team with some bad luck with injuries...bad playoff game placement...whatever.

As a former athlete, I hated 2nd or 3rd place...and I'm not into making excuses...but my interest lies in finding out how many times the Bison have come really close to the big prize...the year...the circumstances...etc.

I'll present one: The 'Chuck' Bowl in McAllen, Texas...when food-poisoning took over most of the Bison lineup. I remember seeing players on the field throwing up through their facemasks. They gave it a good try...but it just wasn't there physically. It was a 'coulda' year. Late 70s. Wacker was the coach, I think. Can anyone give us more details on this one? What were some other years?

HerdBot
06-28-2011, 11:59 PM
We've enjoyed a lot of great football at North Dakota State for decades. We have 8 national championships to show for it. It's great.

I've often wondered how many times we've had championship-caliber teams that for some reason didn't quite get there. Perhaps a great team with some bad luck with injuries...bad playoff game placement...whatever.

As a former athlete, I hated 2nd or 3rd place...and I'm not into making excuses...but my interest lies in finding out how many times the Bison have come really close to the big prize...the year...the circumstances...etc.

I'll present one: The 'Chuck' Bowl in McAllen, Texas...when food-poisoning took over most of the Bison lineup. I remember seeing players on the field throwing up through their facemasks. They gave it a good try...but it just wasn't there physically. It was a 'coulda' year. Late 70s. Wacker was the coach, I think. Can anyone give us more details on this one? What were some other years?

1984 of course. Lost to a Chan Gailey coached Troy team in the National Championship game on a 55 yard field goal with no time on the clock. The kicker's previous long was something like 30 yards. I was just a kid but didn't we lose Bentrim to injury that game?

KTF
06-29-2011, 12:32 AM
How about 2000 when two QB's go down in one game. Or have to play Delta State in the "kitty litter bowl".

aces1180
06-29-2011, 01:05 AM
How about 2003 (the season last in DII) when Andy Delabare dropped a game winning TD vs. St. Cloud State that would have put NDSU in the playoffs?

stevdock
06-29-2011, 01:20 AM
I am going with a road playoff game I went to. I believe it was 97 vs. NW Missouri St. The inadvertant whistle that happened on an interception by Sean Fredricks (I think) that was returned for a TD. I don't know if that was a team that could go all the way as they snuck in the back door for the playoffs, but I didn't like that it was kinda/sorta taken away by a whistle that shouldn't have happened.

HerdBot
06-29-2011, 01:54 AM
I can't believe nobody has said the 06 or 07 teams!

#1 rankings, 20-2 record, 3-1 vs FBS teams with a chance to go 4-0 w/o the blocked game winning field goal. Blowout wins over FBS treams. NFL players on both sides of the ball. Kick ass coaching staff across the board.

Had either of those teams had been playoff eligible we had the team to go all the way.

BisoninNWMN
06-29-2011, 02:01 AM
91 team that lost in the playoffs down in Jacksonville. 2 fumbles by the RB from Kenmare ( I think?) sealed our fate.

I think Mississippi College ended up beating Jacksonville something like 3-0 in a snow storm in the championship.

That Bison team definitely could have won the NC that year.

scbison91
06-29-2011, 02:03 AM
The 1993 team with Arden Beachy going down first game.. With him the whole season, that team was unstoppable. Needless to say, without him the team went 8-3 (lost by a net 14 points in 3 losses) and missed the playoffs.

by the way CABison, I think the game players were all sick with food poisening was in 1977 in semi-finals against Jackson State.

CaBisonFan
06-29-2011, 03:12 AM
The 1993 team with Arden Beachy going down first game.. With him the whole season, that team was unstoppable. Needless to say, without him the team went 8-3 (lost by a net 14 points in 3 losses) and missed the playoffs.

by the way CABison, I think the game players were all sick with food poisening was in 1977 in semi-finals against Jackson State.

Would that game have been played at Jackson State?

And yes...the '93 team had championship written all over it.

99Bison
06-29-2011, 03:18 AM
I am going with a road playoff game I went to. I believe it was 97 vs. NW Missouri St. The inadvertant whistle that happened on an interception by Sean Fredricks (I think) that was returned for a TD. I don't know if that was a team that could go all the way as they snuck in the back door for the playoffs, but I didn't like that it was kinda/sorta taken away by a whistle that shouldn't have happened.

Yes that was horrible...

99Bison
06-29-2011, 03:20 AM
1984 of course. Lost to a Chan Gailey coached Troy team in the National Championship game on a 55 yard field goal with no time on the clock. The kicker's previous long was something like 30 yards. I was just a kid but didn't we lose Bentrim to injury that game?

Yes, not sure how much he played if at all in that game, can't remember for sure but I think it was ribs or something injury in an earlier game. If Bentrim actually had been able to play more in that game we would be talking 4/4 for his class.

99Bison
06-29-2011, 03:24 AM
I can't believe nobody has said the 06 or 07 teams!

#1 rankings, 20-2 record, 3-1 vs FBS teams with a chance to go 4-0 w/o the blocked game winning field goal. Blowout wins over FBS treams. NFL players on both sides of the ball. Kick ass coaching staff across the board.

Had either of those teams had been playoff eligible we had the team to go all the way.

06 had a very good shot, defense with frick, et' al was unbelievable. 07 IMO were too thin in depth (which showed at SDSU), and actually went on a motivational/focus slide after gopher game... forshadowing in 08 disaster that should have been significantly better with a heavily senior oriented team.

However, goals of playoffs and playoff runs aren't something these teams were focused on, so it's hard to really place how they would have fared.

ndsubison1
06-29-2011, 04:03 AM

thats some bush league from jacksonville st

sambini
06-29-2011, 04:32 AM
1977 lost at Jacksonville State 31 to 7. Future NFL player Jesse Baker and the food were the shits... Wacker in the Hall could give details...

CaBisonFan
06-29-2011, 04:52 AM
How about 2003 (the season last in DII) when Andy Delabare dropped a game winning TD vs. St. Cloud State that would have put NDSU in the playoffs?

So this is the team that beat Montana...right? What 'did' happen that year? Seems like they had a lot going for them.

344Johnson
06-29-2011, 04:57 AM
2000 team for sure to me. 2 torn ACL's to qb's in one game? As well as getting sent down to Delta St. really would make any fan of any team in our situation feel shafted.

I was only a young kid at the time, but even then I had a gut feeling(like i did every year back then haha) that NDSU was bringing home #9.

CaBisonFan
06-29-2011, 05:16 AM
2000 team for sure to me. 2 torn ACL's to qb's in one game? As well as getting sent down to Delta St. really would make any fan of any team in our situation feel shafted.

I was only a young kid at the time, but even then I had a gut feeling(like i did every year back then haha) that NDSU was bringing home #9.

What I've seen of this team on the playoff vids that I have...I would totally agree. What a bizarre twist (pardon the pun)...to lose two good quarterbacks like that in one game. And the road game to Delta State??!! Truly unbelievable. This was a solid #9.

CaBisonFan
06-29-2011, 06:01 AM
91 team that lost in the playoffs down in Jacksonville. 2 fumbles by the RB from Kenmare ( I think?) sealed our fate.

I think Mississippi College ended up beating Jacksonville something like 3-0 in a snow storm in the championship.

Who were some of the players? QB? I'm sure there was a lot of talent left over the the '90 championship team. It's one of those 'lost' years for me. Not sure why.

ndsubison1
06-29-2011, 06:07 AM
what about 2010??? had EWU on the brink. game away from a semi-final home game and our D could have held it's own vs delaware

Twentysix
06-29-2011, 06:48 AM
what about 2010??? had EWU on the brink. game away from a semi-final home game and our D could have held it's own vs delaware

+ + +

No doubt, Were we the best team... No... Could we have beat Nova and Delaware. Yeap.

I think we would of slaughtered nova in the dome by atleast 2 touchdowns probably more also predict the dome would of been 100% capacity for that game.

BisoninNWMN
06-29-2011, 11:06 AM
+ + +

No doubt, Were we the best team... No... Could we have beat Nova and Delaware. Yeap.

I think we would of slaughtered nova in the dome by atleast 2 touchdowns probably more also predict the dome would of been 100% capacity for that game.

Agreed 100%

Now if this team can take care of business during the regular season and get multiple home games....WOW!!!

19K screaming fans for quarter/semi final games.....frickin home field advantage for sure.

GO BISON

NorthernBison
06-29-2011, 12:51 PM
So this is the team that beat Montana...right? What 'did' happen that year? Seems like they had a lot going for them.

The 2003 team was 8-3. IMO, not a Championship caliber team. Something was missing.

One loss was to UC Davis (Division I-AA). I think that loss was AFTER the Montana win so maybe there is an excuse? The other two losses were both road losses in OT. (to UND and St. Cloud State)

Montana was ranked #3 in DI-AA at the time the Bison beat them and Montana ended up being a playoff team but didn't go far.

Back then, NDSU got less credit in the rankings for beating Montana than they would have gotten for beating a Regional DII team. Even a patsy like Moorhead or Crookston. I think UND beat Crookston that year and we all know how they used it as an excuse to not schedule us the following year.

Beating St. Cloud would have resulted in a playoff bid (I think). The loss that really killed was the UC Davis loss. Even scheduling Davis was a bad idea for playoff chances but we were in our exploratory year so I understand the reasoning.

Grand Valley State was the Champion that year. I think they made 6, or even 7, consecutive trips to the title game and won 4 of the last 5.

Looking at that schedule is proof positive of the need to move up. We had 4 OOC games (Tusculum, UC Davis, Montana, and Concordia-St. Paul) plus some real yawners in the 7 conference games.

Notorious
06-29-2011, 01:59 PM

This game was actually in 1989. There were a couple things that contributed to the loss. First, the field was very wet, likely "watered down". Second, Phil Hansen was injured early in the game, which was a significant loss upfront. Third, we made some mistakes as you noted. And, finally, Jacksonville St. was very talented in the defensive backfield...two were drafted the following spring if I remember correctly.

The 1989 team was essentially the team the dominated and won the NC in 1990.

tony
06-29-2011, 02:17 PM
This game was actually in 1989. There were a couple things that contributed to the loss. First, the field was very wet, likely "watered down". Second, Phil Hansen was injured early in the game, which was a significant loss upfront. Third, we made some mistakes as you noted. And, finally, Jacksonville St. was very talented in the defensive backfield...two were drafted the following spring if I remember correctly.

The 1989 team was essentially the team the dominated and won the NC in 1990.

Pretty sure that Simdorn was playing on a broken foot too (thanks Northern Colorado.) He could barely run in the Edinboro game. Satter was pretty dinged up too with that high ankle sprain that dogged him.

Biggest mistake in the Jacksonville State game was when they got a punt off while our defense was still getting off the field. J

acksonville State was a hard-hitting team... but only after the whistle.

bisonmike2
06-29-2011, 02:55 PM
The 2003 team was 8-3. IMO, not a Championship caliber team. Something was missing.

One loss was to UC Davis (Division I-AA). I think that loss was AFTER the Montana win so maybe there is an excuse? The other two losses were both road losses in OT. (to UND and St. Cloud State)

Montana was ranked #3 in DI-AA at the time the Bison beat them and Montana ended up being a playoff team but didn't go far.

Back then, NDSU got less credit in the rankings for beating Montana than they would have gotten for beating a Regional DII team. Even a patsy like Moorhead or Crookston. I think UND beat Crookston that year and we all know how they used it as an excuse to not schedule us the following year.

Beating St. Cloud would have resulted in a playoff bid (I think). The loss that really killed was the UC Davis loss. Even scheduling Davis was a bad idea for playoff chances but we were in our exploratory year so I understand the reasoning.

Grand Valley State was the Champion that year. I think they made 6, or even 7, consecutive trips to the title game and won 4 of the last 5.

Looking at that schedule is proof positive of the need to move up. We had 4 OOC games (Tusculum, UC Davis, Montana, and Concordia-St. Paul) plus some real yawners in the 7 conference games.

Yes that game was incredibly frustrating. We also lost to UND in OT that year and if I remember correctly we didn't show up to that game until the second half.

Sioux27
06-29-2011, 02:56 PM

Grand Valley went to the NC game in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, and 2006. They won it in every year but 2001. They were the Bison of the 80's.

GradBison
06-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Grand Valley went to the NC game in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, and 2006. They won it in every year but 2001. They were the Bison of the 80's.

Blasphemy! Nothing would come close to the 80's Bison. :duel:

:)

OrygunBison
06-29-2011, 06:26 PM
For what I saw, the 1989 team was very solid and most definitely NC caliber, but with bad luck. I think there were multiple injuries the second half of the season and at least one suspension (Simmy) for undisclosed reasons, missing a game. Those guys took it out on the competition in 1990.

Next, IMHO, would be the year Beachy went down. There was nothing stopping the Bison that year.

Castor Troy
06-29-2011, 06:46 PM
For what I saw, the 1989 team was very solid and most definitely NC caliber, but with bad luck. I think there were multiple injuries the second half of the season and at least one suspension (Simmy) for undisclosed reasons, missing a game. Those guys took it out on the competition in 1990.

Next, IMHO, would be the year Beachy went down. There was nothing stopping the Bison that year.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14265

Good call! This was my freshman year and I heard all of these stories about how great the football team was. 1989 most certainly led to the success in 1990.

Herd Mentality
06-29-2011, 07:22 PM

And if they wouldn't have lost their QB for the NC game... they would've won in 2001. Write it down.

OrygunBison
06-29-2011, 08:25 PM
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14265

Good call! This was my freshman year and I heard all of these stories about how great the football team was. 1989 most certainly led to the success in 1990.

That was my freshman year as well.

Sioux27
06-29-2011, 08:26 PM
And if they wouldn't have lost their QB for the NC game... they would've won in 2001. Write it down.

Grand Valley actually lost Anes in the first round of the playoffs. But I did write it down.

Herd Mentality
06-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Grand Valley actually lost Anes in the first round of the playoffs. But I did write it down.

Well, you get my point. Sioux suck.

NorthernBison
06-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Well, you get my point. Sioux suck.

Have some compassion. Those poor fans have to deal with Duluth having twice as many football titles and now their hockey team is bringing home the hardware too.

344Johnson
07-01-2011, 05:06 AM
+ + +

Agreed, we weren't even the best team in our conference. Found out we have a team built for the playoffs.

2010, in my memory 20 years from now, will hopefully be remembered as the year when things starting coming back together, and serving as the metaphorical launchpad into a 2011 Championship hopefully. I am really sick and tired of the bad luck that has plagued the Herd for the last 20 years or so. The fact that we can have a thread on here citing at least 5 or 6 NDSU teams that either should have....or easily could have won a championship is sickening.

Twentysix
07-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Agreed, we weren't even the best team in our conference. Found out we have a team built for the playoffs.

2010, in my memory 20 years from now, will hopefully be remembered as the year when things starting coming back together, and serving as the metaphorical launchpad into a 2011 Championship hopefully. I am really sick and tired of the bad luck that has plagued the Herd for the last 20 years or so. The fact that we can have a thread on here citing at least 5 or 6 NDSU teams that either should have....or easily could have won a championship is sickening.

Its funny how the playoffs turn into luck (whos hot) and rock paper scissors, to decide a champion.

Twentysix
07-01-2011, 06:13 AM
Agreed 100%

Now if this team can take care of business during the regular season and get multiple home games....WOW!!!

19K screaming fans for quarter/semi final games.....frickin home field advantage for sure.

GO BISON

I dont think the thanksgiving game will ever draw more than 15k, at our current level. We did have HIGHLY apathetic student fans this year though. Hopefully the new freshman try harder at convicing their friends to love bison football and basketball.

Totally agree with the statement as a whole though.

CaBisonFan
07-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Yeah...there's still a bit of a weakness in the force for the student body. It's not their fault. During the 80s we came to expect a loss or two, and then make a big run in the playoffs. There was fan momentum after 06 and 07...but that was lost in 08 and 09. Last year was a partial recovery. The program has to earn their dedication.

The university falls short of its responsibility. As I've said before, I'd put a chunk of the student body in the main seating behind the away team and let them raise hell. But that ain't gonna happen. Too much money involved.

Missouri gets it. The student body has one side of the stadium to themselves. Regardless of the politics and money behind college football...it still remains an educational activity.

And...sorry folks...but the tailgating stops at the door...for everyone.

344Johnson
07-01-2011, 06:48 AM
I dont think the thanksgiving game will ever draw more than 15k, at our current level. We did have HIGHLY apathetic student fans this year though. Hopefully the new freshman try harder at convicing their friends to love bison football and basketball.

I tried hard, i got my friends to love bison football and basketball. The problem is in my opinion, a lot of students from minnesota grew up with the gophers, and see us as smalltime compared to them.

Twentysix
07-01-2011, 06:59 AM
I tried hard, i got my friends to love bison football and basketball. The problem is in my opinion, a lot of students from minnesota grew up with the gophers, and see us as smalltime compared to them.

I was born into winning, my freshman year was 07. It was already ridiculous lines to get into games. And in 08 (Even though it was a bad season there were litterally people with sleeping bags at the BSA at 4AM on monday to get student tickets(It was actually covered by the fargo fail media).

The student turnout was significantly worse this year than any previous year. Both basketball(I only went to the 07 ORU game) and football.

However, the student turnout for the 3 volleyball games i went to this last season was amazing MUCH better than basketball turnout.

ndsubison1
07-01-2011, 07:11 AM
ndsu will win a national championship within the next 3 years. mark it down

Twentysix
07-01-2011, 08:23 AM
ndsu will win a national championship within the next 3 years. mark it down

How about this coming season?

NorthernBison
07-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Yeah...there's still a bit of a weakness in the force for the student body. It's not their fault. During the 80s we came to expect a loss or two, and then make a big run in the playoffs. There was fan momentum after 06 and 07...but that was lost in 08 and 09. Last year was a partial recovery. The program has to earn their dedication.

The university falls short of its responsibility. As I've said before, I'd put a chunk of the student body in the main seating behind the away team and let them raise hell. But that ain't gonna happen. Too much money involved.

Missouri gets it. The student body has one side of the stadium to themselves. Regardless of the politics and money behind college football...it still remains an educational activity.

And...sorry folks...but the tailgating stops at the door...for everyone.

Student attendance in the 80's for the post-season was usually horrible. There was no student section for the post-season. The upper section of the South stands was General admission. For the Pitt State playoff game, I literally got to pick where I wanted to sit and most of the section was NOT students and it was nowhere near full.

I don't remember a post-season game from the 80's that was a real sellout but my memory is fading. Was it the Cal Poly game that was so cold and windy? I was there and thought it was fun. The stands were pretty empty. Overall, as fans go, us Bison fans weren't as tough and dedicated as we pretended to be. Just sayin'.

THEsocalledfan
07-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I was born into winning, my freshman year was 07. It was already ridiculous lines to get into games. And in 08 (Even though it was a bad season there were litterally people with sleeping bags at the BSA at 4AM on monday to get student tickets(It was actually covered by the fargo fail media).

The student turnout was significantly worse this year than any previous year. Both basketball(I only went to the 07 ORU game) and football.

However, the student turnout for the 3 volleyball games i went to this last season was amazing MUCH better than basketball turnout.

Students, like many others, are fair weather fans. The run last year and a few early wins will have those lines back up.

I remember the first UND/NDSU game in the dome. They were playing for first place in the NCC and the line from the dome went to Albright, down albright, and back around all the way to Dakotah Field.....

Win, and they will come. Having a true rival like UND would also help.

Notorious
07-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Was it the Cal Poly game that was so cold and windy? I was there and thought it was fun.

Correct...the entire Cal Poly team was in the wooden heat boxes by the end of the first quarter. And to think, all they had to do was, "stop the dive"....hahaha....!

NorthernBison
07-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Correct...the entire Cal Poly team was in the wooden heat boxes by the end of the first quarter. And to think, all they had to do was, "stop the dive"....hahaha....!

I think that was the game where the wind was howling out of the NW. A punt landed at about the 2 yd line in the middle of the field and bounced straight left and went out of bounds. I'm not sure how that was even possible but it happened.

I think we went on a long drive from there but don't remember if we scored.

I remember one guy in the North Stands at every game who had the nickname "Dive" because he always complained about the offense.

The best shirt I remember said:

Bison Football

Dive, dive, dive, pitch, dive, dive, fake pass, dive, pitch, dive, dive, dive, pitch, dive, dive, TOUCHDOWN.

Or something like that.

TateMosersneighbor
07-01-2011, 04:10 PM

Agreed, that was the team...I still cry sometimes thinking about that game...not outwardly, but inside I do.

:(

Castor Troy
07-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Agreed, that was the team...I still cry sometimes thinking about that game...not outwardly, but inside I do.

:(

I'm sure Tate did his share of crying as well since he was best buds with Arden. Thanks to Tate I was introduced to the town of Mobridge, SD.

CaBisonFan
07-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Student attendance in the 80's for the post-season was usually horrible. There was no student section for the post-season. The upper section of the South stands was General admission. For the Pitt State playoff game, I literally got to pick where I wanted to sit and most of the section was NOT students and it was nowhere near full.

I don't remember a post-season game from the 80's that was a real sellout but my memory is fading. Was it the Cal Poly game that was so cold and windy? I was there and thought it was fun. The stands were pretty empty. Overall, as fans go, us Bison fans weren't as tough and dedicated as we pretended to be. Just sayin'.

You make a good point.

roadwarrior
07-01-2011, 08:24 PM
The largest crowd for a playoff home game in the 80s was probably the 1984 game against UC-Davis. It was a first round game Thanksgiving weekend, but the weather was more like October. Sunny and temp in the 50s.

CivilBison96
07-01-2011, 09:05 PM

Win more (IE win conference title), get seeded then we don't have to play on Thanksgiving!!

OrygunBison
07-01-2011, 11:53 PM

Perhaps my memory is fading a touch. I know you were talking specifically the 80's but for that 1990 post season, I don't remember there being many empty seats. I remember that Pitt State game being the loudest game I'd ever been to in my youthful experience.

Such a great game...probably gets grander with the distance in years and the number of times I have told the story...

CaBisonFan
07-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Perhaps my memory is fading a touch. I know you were talking specifically the 80's but for that 1990 post season, I don't remember there being many empty seats. I remember that Pitt State game being the loudest game I'd ever been to in my youthful experience.

Such a great game...probably gets grander with the distance in years and the number of times I have told the story...

An awful lot of bisonville members talk about this as the best game they've ever been to...so you have a lot of company. I'd say watching that team play against a great Pitt St team would be hard to make grander with time...because it 'was' grand. So many great players were on the '90 team. Wow

tony
07-03-2011, 04:37 PM

That Central State game was the craziest, biggest playoff crowd I remember. The Pittsburg State playoff game was second - great crowd considering it was about 11 degrees (I don't remember many empty seats either.)

OrygunBison
07-03-2011, 07:30 PM
That Central State game was the craziest, biggest playoff crowd I remember. The Pittsburg State playoff game was second - great crowd considering it was about 11 degrees (I don't remember many empty seats either.)

That was just a little before my time. My freshman year at NDSU was the '89 season. Prior to that, I just went to the Bison Sioux games with my dad starting in '85, watching some of the other games on TV but apparently not completely absorbing things like I later did.

I looked on CA's youtube games site and couldn't find that Central State game. Is it out there somewhere to view online? Also hoping that someone can scrounge up that 1990 Pitt State game. I forgot about how cold that game was. I am sure that I was somewhat "mitigated" at that time...

scbison91
07-03-2011, 08:26 PM

I was at the 1990 Pitt game and had to STAND in the endzone to watch the game because there was no room in the stands..

scbison91
07-03-2011, 08:33 PM

You got to remember, that was when NDSU was on quarter system back them and first day of finals were on a Saturday usually when the first weekend of playoffs so many students were taking tests.. Then thanksiving break came and everybody went home for the next weekend.

As for the Pitt game, I was there and I came late so I had to STAND in the EAST endzone to watch the game and it was loud. The week before was cal poly and it was stadium was capacity even though it was 10 below windchill... If you remember these 2 games were after finals and thanksgiving break.

NorthernBison
07-04-2011, 12:07 AM
You got to remember, that was when NDSU was on quarter system back them and first day of finals were on a Saturday usually when the first weekend of playoffs so many students were taking tests.. Then thanksiving break came and everybody went home for the next weekend.

As for the Pitt game, I was there and I came late so I had to STAND in the EAST endzone to watch the game and it was loud. The week before was cal poly and it was stadium was capacity even though it was 10 below windchill... If you remember these 2 games were after finals and thanksgiving break.

I'll admit my memory isn't what it used to be. I remember a great crowd at the game and one of the most exciting games ever. I got there early and had my pick of where to sit on the upper South stands. It did get crowded later and we did guard some spots at the half to keep the "squatters" out.

My point was about STUDENT attendance. By then, I was an alum of 10 years and was fully qualified to rag on how much less spirit they had the WE used to show. See. Times really haven't changed all that much.

I think in those days there were a lot of people who CHOSE to stand in the end zones.

TheBisonator
07-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Students, like many others, are fair weather fans. The run last year and a few early wins will have those lines back up.

I remember the first UND/NDSU game in the dome. They were playing for first place in the NCC and the line from the dome went to Albright, down albright, and back around all the way to Dakotah Field.....

Win, and they will come. Having a true rival like UND would also help.

Most games in '06 and '07 had the same kind of student line. (Stretching down Albrecht as far as the eye could see) I remember having to know in advance the kickoff time, but then timing my arrival to the Dome for exactly 3 hours before kickoff (90 minutes before the student doors opened) so that I could be somewhere towards the front of the line. Those were the days when hundreds (even thousands) of students would jam thru the doors at 90 min. till kickoff literally running to their preferred seat in the student section, squatting the seat till kickoff.

I remember Homecoming '07 (against UC Davis). Hundreds of students butted in line ahead of about where I was. About 40 students ahead of me tuned into at least 300 by the time the doors opened. The girls I was standing next to got INCREDIBLY pissed.

Those days, the student section was almost always full (4,000 capacity), and many times overflowed. Ahhhh, good times.

CaBisonFan
07-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Most games in '06 and '07 had the same kind of student line. (Stretching down Albrecht as far as the eye could see) I remember having to know in advance the kickoff time, but then timing my arrival to the Dome for exactly 3 hours before kickoff (90 minutes before the student doors opened) so that I could be somewhere towards the front of the line. Those were the days when hundreds (even thousands) of students would jam thru the doors at 90 min. till kickoff literally running to their preferred seat in the student section, squatting the seat till kickoff.

I remember Homecoming '07 (against UC Davis). Hundreds of students butted in line ahead of about where I was. About 40 students ahead of me tuned into at least 300 by the time the doors opened. The girls I was standing next to got INCREDIBLY pissed.

Those days, the student section was almost always full (4,000 capacity), and many times overflowed. Ahhhh, good times.

I think those days are just around the corner again. 'When' a real leader emerges at QB...it will happen. The talent is in place.