PDA

View Full Version : Full Dome Opener - 1990 - Pitt St - on YouTube

CaBisonFan
06-25-2011, 03:57 AM
YouTube has gotten much better about putting up large videos. I put up the full game from 1990. The Bison were ranked #1 to start the season. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthDakotaStBison1#p/u/0/5e9Y_WJSd6o

Sorry folks...it's 1993. Thanks for the correction ndsustudent89...:nod:

For anyone who hasn't visited the site...the url for this collection of old Bison games is this: http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthDakotaStBison1

Another reminder is that these videos can be downloaded to your computer. Then...you need what's called an flv player (softerware.) I'd suggest going to cnet.com...search for an flv player...download the software...install it...and you'll have these to watch any time.

duluthbison
06-25-2011, 04:00 AM
YouTube has gotten much better about putting up large videos. I put up the full game from 1990. The Bison were ranked #1 to start the season. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthDakotaStBison1#p/u/0/5e9Y_WJSd6o

Don't you mean the 1993 opener? :)

CaBisonFan
06-25-2011, 04:04 AM
Don't you mean the 1993 opener? :)

Whoops...thanks.

Herd Mentality
06-25-2011, 04:06 AM
While that's cool, I'm not sure I can put myself through watching Arden Beachy get hurt again. :uhyeah:

Twentysix
06-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Pitt st is Kansas right?

tjbison
06-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Gotta love Dan Hammer

KC Bison
06-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Yes, Pittsburg, Kansas

CHADSTAUS
06-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

HerdBot
06-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Wow thats awesome! I was at that game but its strange how memory works. I don't remember much of it.

Few random thoughts on this trip down memory lane.

Dome was a factor with 3 false start penalties in the 1st quarter! When Beachy was hurt it turned into a morgue.

Crazy watching 2 teams running the veer and the "inverted wishbone." Each team had 1 drive in the 1st quarter! I thought it was more exciting than the offense we run today. I don't get the "boring" thing.

The TV production from 93 was as good or better than it is today! More camera angles and when the dome was loud you could tell it was loud. Hammer was great.

Crazy hearing our old pa announcer!

Beachy looked freaking amazing against a great defense. Had he not gotten hurt we would have 9 national championships.

I forgot how ugly the dome was back then. It looked like we were at a Jayhawks game. No green or gold anything, turf was even uglier than it is today. Video boards not up yet.

Notice how every crowd shot back then people are wearing street clothes. The beginning of the dome marked the beginning of casual fans.

stevdock
06-25-2011, 04:33 PM
This was my first Bison game, and haven't missed a home game since.

TheBisonator
06-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Can't believe this was a Division 2 game back then. Most D2 games nowadays don't have nearly that kind of big-time feel to them. Most of them are basically high school games nowadays.

HerdBot
06-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Can't believe this was a Division 2 game back then. Most D2 games nowadays don't have nearly that kind of big-time feel to them. Most of them are basically high school games nowadays.

We've always done things bigger and better than everyone else. The biggest change today is tailgating and we do that bigger and better too. Looking back props to Entzion for getting a top notch non conference game. That would be the equivalence to, uh, Georgia Southern. Pussies.

CaBisonFan
06-25-2011, 08:19 PM
I love watching the pass-run option. Arden did it as well as anyone. What an athlete.

While there's sadness in this game...Arden's injury...it also shows how great he was.

And I agree with one writer here...'enter the casual fan'...and the "hey buddy, would ya siddown" attitude in some sections.

CaBisonFan
06-25-2011, 08:32 PM

Yeah...this had a big-time look to it. Everything about it. The Bison uniforms were DI caliber...as were the athletes. This is why I strongly believe that FBS would be a good fit for the FM region...someday...not now. We could have done it years ago...but now it's time to do some damage in the FCS first.

HerdBot
06-25-2011, 09:03 PM
I love watching the pass-run option. Arden did it as well as anyone. What an athlete.

While there's sadness in this game...Arden's injury...it also shows how great he was.

And I agree with one writer here...'enter the casual fan'...and the "hey buddy, would ya siddown" attitude in some sections.

I think it's 1 of the most exciting plays in football! I saw the Titans run it with Chris Johnson and Vince Young.

IzzyFlexion
06-25-2011, 10:03 PM
The Dr. Chris interview brought back some memories. Doc Chris nearly took out my entire medial meniscus in '85 as it was severly mangled. As I continued in my career, I saw tons of people who had that same procedure done when the arthroscopy was in its infancy. (early to mid 80s). A huge percentage of these people had such severe arthritis that they needed either subsequent clean up arthroscopies and some even knee replacement. Many ortho docs today say that those radical menisectomies should not have been done because of these problems 20-30 years down the road. Now.... I have pain and limping periodically if I overdo things, but overall after 25+ years, I've had a damn good outcome. I know Doc Chris had plenty of critics especially near the end of his career in Fargo, but he sure did a good job on me. Thanks, Doc.

Thunder_Struck
06-26-2011, 07:19 PM
I had forgot how the Bison were on the west sideline. I think the original plan was always to have the Bison on the east side, but Rocky wanted to be on the west side in case the headsets went out. Being on the west side they would still be able to use hand signals to communicate with the coaches up in the box. Does anyone remember how long this lasted?

roadwarrior
06-26-2011, 08:58 PM
I had forgot how the Bison were on the west sideline. I think the original plan was always to have the Bison on the east side, but Rocky wanted to be on the west side in case the headsets went out. Being on the west side they would still be able to use hand signals to communicate with the coaches up in the box. Does anyone remember how long this lasted?

1 year.........

CaBisonFan
06-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Just added the 1992 playoff thriller at Pittsburg...full game. I sincerely hope that I got the right year this time...hehe

http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthDakotaStBison1#p/u/0/B9vX9VPzY8k

4mcruenomore
06-27-2011, 05:44 AM
Did Notorious play in this one? Legendary

sambini
06-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks CA ++++

HerdBot
06-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Reminder on old school VHS. You may want to rewind the tape to the start and wind the reels tightly with your finger to get rid of the tracking lines at the bottom.

CaBisonFan
06-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Reminder on old school VHS. You may want to rewind the tape to the start and wind the reels tightly with your finger to get rid of the tracking lines at the bottom.

Thanks for the tip gabe...:)

bisonmike2
06-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Looks like the same turf. :(

aces1180
06-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Looks like the same turf. :(

It's not...That stuff came used from TCU and had to be zippered together...The current crap, although seamless, was purchased new.

344Johnson
06-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Dear Lord, my Dad has always said this game marked the end of an Era when Beachy went down and it'd be tough to disagree. I always kind of thought he was just remembering it as something it was not, but I got some goosebumps watching that. I know that the option is more than likely not coming back and the veer is dying, but that is NDSU football right there.

This really makes me hope both NDSU and UNI are top 5 heading into what will hopefully be a season-defining showdown in the dome. On Bison!

Crowd- They sound damn loud in there. I never watch Bison games in the dome on TV but it sounded louder on there than it seems to get nowadays, I might be wrong, if you guys could give some input that would be cool. The atmosphere in there, although street-clothes friendly, looks huge. It seems like everyone in there knew that this was an absolute treat of a matchup(coming into it anyways) and showed that good OOC matchups are possible and should be expected to take place in the dome at least every couple of years.

We also should start being a bigger part of the game and start forcing some false-starts and delay of game penalties, lets get the dome rocking!

Team- That team looks unstoppable. The option pass, if well-run, has got to be unstoppable. I have watched some old games of Beachy but after seeing this, what I would do to get a QB of his caliber again.....

HerdBot
06-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Dear Lord, my Dad has always said this game marked the end of an Era when Beachy went down and it'd be tough to disagree. I always kind of thought he was just remembering it as something it was not, but I got some goosebumps watching that. I know that the option is more than likely not coming back and the veer is dying, but that is NDSU football right there.

This really makes me hope both NDSU and UNI are top 5 heading into what will hopefully be a season-defining showdown in the dome. On Bison!

Crowd- They sound damn loud in there. I never watch Bison games in the dome on TV but it sounded louder on there than it seems to get nowadays, I might be wrong, if you guys could give some input that would be cool. The atmosphere in there, although street-clothes friendly, looks huge. It seems like everyone in there knew that this was an absolute treat of a matchup(coming into it anyways) and showed that good OOC matchups are possible and should be expected to take place in the dome at least every couple of years.

We also should start being a bigger part of the game and start forcing some false-starts and delay of game penalties, lets get the dome rocking!

Team- That team looks unstoppable. The option pass, if well-run, has got to be unstoppable. I have watched some old games of Beachy but after seeing this, what I would do to get a QB of his caliber again.....

The dome is much louder now. Problem is the TV production is so bad it tries to cover up the noise and it doesnt capure the energy. They dont mike the crowd.

A good example. I haven't missed a game at the dome since it opened. The loudest I've ever heard is when Walker threw the TD to Heck against Sam Houston. When you watch that game on TV it sounds quieter than the game against Pitt State. WHY?

They miked the crowd! Our TV production has actually gotten worse since that game. Need more proof? Compare CAs old VHS recording to a new game. No crowd energy. Less angles. We should be embarrassed! We have great energy but nobody will ever know it.

Why did KVLy do that game? I thought we were with WDAY then?

Edit. I remember an article in the forum after that game pointing out how quiet it was.

Gully
06-27-2011, 10:33 PM
The dome is much louder now. Problem is the TV production is so bad it tries to cover up the noise and it doesnt capure the energy. They dont mike the crowd.

A good example. I haven't missed a game at the dome since it opened. The loudest I've ever heard is when Walker threw the TD to Heck against Sam Houston. When you watch that game on TV it sounds quieter than the game against Pitt State. WHY?

They miked the crowd! Our TV production has actually gotten worse since that game. Need more proof? Compare CAs old VHS recording to a new game. No crowd energy. Less angles. We should be embarrassed! We have great energy but nobody will ever know it.

Why did KVLy do that game? I thought we were with WDAY then?

Edit. I remember an article in the forum after that game pointing out how quiet it was.

I agree the loudest was the Sam Houston State game but I don't know that I'd agree that "the dome is louder now". It was very loud for the Pitt State game. People were actually standing up and yelling at the top of their lungs.

tony
06-27-2011, 10:37 PM
I agree the loudest was the Sam Houston State game but I don't know that I'd agree that "the dome is louder now". It was very loud for the Pitt State game. People were actually standing up and yelling at the top of their lungs.

It got much quieter after Arden got hurt.

HerdBot
06-27-2011, 11:46 PM

So you do agree that Sam Houston was the loudest but when you watch it on TV it doesn't even seem loud, right? That was my original point.

On the noise of the dome then vs now. If you take away that game and look at the overall atmosphere of the dome in 2011 vs mid nineties, its not even close. The crowds were smaller and it wasnt as loud. It was like it is today with less people and very little tailgating to prime the crowd.

CaBisonFan
06-28-2011, 01:08 AM

Yes...the end of Beachy's career and the opening of the dome on the same night...kind of an odd coincidence. The atmosphere of Bison football changed. The troubles with discipline came...Rocky's exit...Babich came...new offense...new colors & uniform design...some outstanding players...but a new brand of Bison football...and trying to create an atmosphere in the dome that felt like home. IMO...this led to the need to go up to DI-AA and to rebuild the program into something new.

North Side
06-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Please keep these videos up on youtube they are great!!

CaBisonFan
06-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Please keep these videos up on youtube they are great!!

They'll stay. I appreciate it.

99Bison
06-28-2011, 02:40 AM
Yes...the end of Beachy's career and the opening of the dome on the same night...kind of an odd coincidence. The atmosphere of Bison football changed. The troubles with discipline came...Rocky's exit...Babich came...new offense...new colors & uniform design...some outstanding players...but a new brand of Bison football...and trying to create an atmosphere in the dome that felt like home. IMO...this led to the need to go up to DI-AA and to rebuild the program into something new.

Agreed... and should still be trying.

EndZoneQB
06-28-2011, 03:05 AM
Agreed... and should still be trying.

The games(and wins) against Minnesota are a big step. We need to bring a few good OOC games to the dome, tho. It'd be nice to see Delaware/App State/GSU, etc. The Minnesota/FBS games are good, but we need to get the fanbase more familiar with the actual competition - like most people were with the D-II teams, at least I knew the big name teams anyway.

ndsubison1
06-28-2011, 03:21 AM
wow i love watching the videos of lamar gordon

EndZoneQB
06-28-2011, 03:30 AM
wow i love watching the videos of lamar gordon

Yep, I haven't seen that much talent in Fargo in my lifetime, and that's saying something because we always have talented RBs. That 2000 team was a good team.

Edit: Was just watching the UNO game and it was cool to see Gordon throw a quick fake to the opposite direction he was running. Also, seems weird recognizing players from the other teams lol

EndZoneQB
06-28-2011, 03:52 AM
Man, I remember after we won that NWMSU game, I thought we were going to be national champions. Gordon looked like a man among boys in that game as well.

CaBisonFan
06-28-2011, 04:24 AM
Yep, I haven't seen that much talent in Fargo in my lifetime, and that's saying something because we always have talented RBs. That 2000 team was a good team.

That was a national championship team that had some very bad luck. People should have been able to watch them in a playoff game in Fargo.

RowdyRabbit
06-28-2011, 01:19 PM
While that's cool, I'm not sure I can put myself through watching Arden Beachy get hurt again. :uhyeah:

Can I get the time at the point where Beachy got hurt?

bri-dog
06-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Can I get the time at the point where Beachy got hurt?

About 57 1/2 minutes in.

RowdyRabbit
06-28-2011, 06:28 PM
About 57 1/2 minutes in.

Thanks...bummer part is (was) if T.R. McDonald catches the previous ball and lands in bounds, the play call probably would've been different and Beachy never would've got hurt the next play.

It's pretty crazy how much one play can affect the rest of the game/season...how did NDSU do that year?

HandoEX
06-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks...bummer part is (was) if T.R. McDonald catches the previous ball and lands in bounds, the play call probably would've been different and Beachy never would've got hurt the next play.

It's pretty crazy how much one play can affect the rest of the game/season...how did NDSU do that year?

7-3. Damn shame too.

CAS4127
06-28-2011, 07:49 PM

Please forward same to Bill Fette!!

Thank you!

IzzyFlexion
06-28-2011, 09:42 PM
About 57 1/2 minutes in.

When he first gets up off of the turf and puts his weight on his left leg you'll see it bow inward which is indicative of the old "terrible triad" that Dr. Chris talks about later in the broadcast. Mucho instability!

CaBisonFan
06-28-2011, 09:53 PM
When he first gets up off of the turf and puts his weight on his left leg you'll see it bow inward which is indicative of the old "terrible triad" that Dr. Chris talks about later in the broadcast. Mucho instability!

Absolutely gut-wrenching.

CaBisonFan
06-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Please forward same to Bill Fette!!

Thank you!

And tell him to 'rewind.'

North Side
06-29-2011, 02:16 AM
CA do you have any other Bison Classic Gems? If so please upload them!! I really enjoy them! It helps me get through the Bison sports abyss.

ndsubison1
06-29-2011, 06:09 AM
i also like watching the nickel games. very intense

westnodak93bison
06-29-2011, 01:38 PM
How about the MT State playoff game from last year.