PDA

View Full Version : Any chance Steve Nelson makes the Hall Of Fame?

HerdBot
06-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Any chance Steve Nelson ever gets into the Hall Of Fame? He was before my time so I never got to see him play.

Patriot fans seem to think so. His number is retired in New England and is in the Patriots Hall Of Fame. He played for 14 years and went to 3 Pro Bowls and was 1st team All Pro in 85. I've seen his name listed among other solid linebackers who should be in the Hall Of Fame.

Besides the obvious (PL) , who is old enough to have seen him play?

TheBisonator
06-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Are there any former Bison honored in Canton?? I don't know of any...

HerdBot
06-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Are there any former Bison honored in Canton?? I don't know of any...

Retired #rs by teams, team hall of fame, college hall of fame, ring honor ... but not Canton

BlueBisonRock
06-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Any chance Steve Nelson ever gets into the Hall Of Fame? He was before my time so I never got to see him play.

Patriot fans seem to think so. His number is retired in New England and is in the Patriots Hall Of Fame. He played for 14 years and went to 3 Pro Bowls and was 1st team All Pro in 85. I've seen his name listed among other solid linebackers who should be in the Hall Of Fame.

Yes, there are others of us who have seen Nelson play. To this day, I have not seen another LB with the grit and determination that he showed. I also remember him playing a key game when he had a shoulder injury. I believe one arm was taped and had limited mobility, but he was still starting and on special teams. The term Animal does not beging to describe him.

He also has both the longevity and the stats to get him HOF attention. He deserves it.

HerdBot
06-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Yes, there are others of us who have seen Nelson play. To this day, I have not seen another LB with the grit and determination that he showed. I also remember him playing a key game when he had a shoulder injury. I believe one arm was taped and had limited mobility, but he was still starting and on special teams. The term Animal does not beging to describe him.

He also has both the longevity and the stats to get him HOF attention. He deserves it.

Not a lot of Bison info on him. Easier to find Patriot fans who know since he played into the 80s and everyone remembers the 85 Supervisor. Bison players of that era were not very well documented.

BlueBisonRock
06-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Not a lot of Bison info on him. Easier to find Patriot fans who know since he played into the 80s and everyone remembers the 85 Supervisor. Bison players of that era were not very well documented.

Just memories my friend. But outstanding memories at the same time. We had some incredible talent during the late sixties and early seventies. I believe it built the foundation for the dominance of the eighties.

KilldeerBison
06-24-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm pretty sure Pat Simmers is/was a good friend of Steve Nelson, don't know if he is on Bisonville though.

4mcruenomore
06-24-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm pretty sure Pat Simmers is/was a good friend of Steve Nelson, don't know if he is on Bisonville though.

No doubt!!!!

HerdBot
06-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Just memories my friend. But outstanding memories at the same time. We had some incredible talent during the late sixties and early seventies. I believe it built the foundation for the dominance of the eighties.

What's sad is on paper, he's the best player in Bison history and the average Joe doesn't know him and has never seen highlights. As much as I love the Bentrims, Braxtons, Gordons, and Hansons of the 80's and 90's and the current NFL guys like Mays & Dahl, but its fair to assume none of those guys will have their number retired or make the teams Hall Of Fame. Nelson should have a statue or something! Banner? Ring of honor?

CaBisonFan
06-24-2011, 11:35 PM

I saw him play several times for the Bison. He'd be in my top-ten players in Bison history. A truly unbelievable player. I watched him on TV many times for the Pats when they wore the red unis. He stood out there also. Odds of him making the hall ?? So-So...but he deserves it.

CaBisonFan
06-24-2011, 11:46 PM
We had some incredible talent during the late sixties and early seventies. I believe it built the foundation for the dominance of the eighties.

Right on.

That era doesn't get the credit it deserves. Part of the problem is not being able to see anything on film. Those teams, coached by Ron Erhardt, were the real deal...pure DI teams that stuck it to Montana in the Camelia Bowl (national title of sorts), Grambling, UNI (in the conference), and other games that NDSU wasn't supposed to win.

Considering how terrible Bison football teams were prior to the Mudra/Erhardt era...those teams were astonishing. I saw a few games as a kid. It's how I got hooked on Bison football. Then it just kept rolling.

HerdBot
06-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Right on.

That era doesn't get the credit it deserves. Part of the problem is not being able to see anything on film. Those teams, coached by Ron Erhardt, were the real deal...pure DI teams that stuck it to Montana in the Camelia Bowl (national title of sorts), Grambling, UNI (in the conference), and other games that NDSU wasn't supposed to win.

Considering how terrible Bison football teams were prior to the Mudra/Erhardt era...those teams were astonishing. I saw a few games as a kid. It's how I got hooked on Bison football. Then it just kept rolling.

I was looking in the record book. I think they held a team to negative yards over a full game once. Something like -100the rushing against Augustana. Insane on any level in any era.

TheBisonator
06-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Those Bison teams of the late 60's were truly the best Bison teams ever. They showed who they were by beating teams like UNI, Montana, Grambling and Arkansas State. Not Central State Ohio, Puget Sound, Virginia-Union and Shippensburg.

BlueBisonRock
06-25-2011, 12:46 AM
What's sad is on paper, he's the best player in Bison history and the average Joe doesn't know him and has never seen highlights. As much as I love the Bentrims, Braxtons, Gordons, and Hansons of the 80's and 90's and the current NFL guys like Mays & Dahl, but its fair to assume none of those guys will have their number retired or make the teams Hall Of Fame. Nelson should have a statue or something! Banner? Ring of honor?

Your statement provided some inspiration. First, you are correct. Today, there is so much information on everyone. As well as opinions on opinions. Then, there was the newspapers and a comment on tv about the game (usually without footage).

I dug through my collection of books and found the one book that did provide some insight into the oldtimers (as well as those from the 80s).

"Bison Football Three Decades of Excellence" by Ed Kolpack provides Ed's insight from 1964 through 1991. I spent an hour or so reviewing the early 70s.

A good read that should be added to the Bisonville Book list!

CaBisonFan
06-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Those Bison teams of the late 60's were truly the best Bison teams ever. They showed who they were by beating teams like UNI, Montana, Grambling and Arkansas State. Not Central State Ohio, Puget Sound, Virginia-Union and Shippensburg.

I agree...but maybe I'd pick one or two Virginia-Union teams and say that they were pretty solid.

Those guys set the table for the program. Mudra was apparently a pusher. Get it done any-way-possible type of guy. Erhardt was simply a great, great strategist and motivator. He's the best coach that we've had. Not bad...offensive coordinator for a Super Bowl champ. Correct me on this if I'm wrong folks. Giants...right? His teams were tougher than hell. They made people regret coming to Dacotah Field. Saw it several times. Still gives me chills.

A name comes to mind....Ken Rota. One hell of a player. Whoa...http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=87122.....MVP against Grambling in the Pecan Bowl. I remember listening to the game. We didn't just beat them. The Bison stuck them big-time. That Grambling team was full of big-name NFL players.

56BISON73
06-25-2011, 01:33 AM

Whats interesting was UNI was a conference game. Their coach Stan Sherriff absolutely hated us. It was a great rivalry and they were dirtier than hell.

One thing about Steve Nelson was his intensity and drive. On the field he dominated. Plus his junior year he played defensive end because thats where he was needed. Even when injured you couldnt keep him off the field. One of the all time greats.

ps one other thing about Nelly was he played faster than what he actually was. His nose for the ball, his reaction time when reading plays was phenominal. I read in the Patriots website where a player was talking about his speed. He said even though Steve wasnt the fastest---when OJ got to the corner Nelly was there waiting for him.

Twentysix
06-25-2011, 01:41 AM
Isn't Hanson on the bills wall of fame? Yes he is.

As much as I love the Bentrims, Braxtons, Gordons, and Hansons of the 80's and 90's and the current NFL guys like Mays & Dahl, but its fair to assume none of those guys will have their number retired or make the teams Hall Of Fame. Nelson should have a statue or something! Banner? Ring of honor?

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/2011-Wall-of-Fame-Honoree-Phil-Hansen/349a7f53-57aa-4e53-9d17-b35063526a7d

KilldeerBison
06-25-2011, 02:21 AM
Whats interesting was UNI was a conference game. Their coach Stan Sherriff absolutely hated us. It was a great rivalry and they were dirtier than hell.

One thing about Steve Nelson was his intensity and drive. On the field he dominated. Plus his junior year he played defensive end because thats where he was needed. Even when injured you couldnt keep him off the field. One of the all time greats.

statement reminds me of the game against UNI two years ago, they were dirtier than hell. I hope Steve Nelson makes the HOF.

HerdBot
06-25-2011, 02:57 AM

Somethings never change... UNI coach Farley hates us too and we haven't even beaten them ... until this year!

BisonNeil
06-25-2011, 02:41 PM

I remember that game.

I was in high school when he played and a freshman in college. I think I saw him play in 4 games. He was the first player I ever saw in person hit like a truck full of bricks.

North Side
06-25-2011, 03:14 PM
He was done playing way before I was even born. I really like to see some footage of him playing. All I could find was this.. not really highlights, its just a promo thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX7BfdExuGQ&feature=related