PDA

View Full Version : Freshmen Face High Expectations - BI Article

DjKyRo
06-22-2011, 04:20 PM
http://bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=661

Few would say that the NDSU Football team, fresh off a red-hot finish in December of 2011, are in the hands of any but the most obvious of players; players like DJ McNorton, returning 1600-yard back whose shifty nature and quick trigger drove defenses mad, or Coulter Boyer, the South Dakota native whose black bandana and punishing tackling draw references to the Minnesota Vikings' Jared Allen.

Yet it's new kids on the block, those freshmen who chose to redshirt for their first year in the program or who have yet to set foot on NDSU's campus as a registered student, who may face a significant role as well; the role of depth, and in some cases the role of seeing the field with little college experience.

...to follow up last week's article. :)

HerdBot
06-22-2011, 06:45 PM
http://bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=661

...to follow up last week's article. :)

Good article but missed on many other freshman who can start or compete for playing time this year. Vraa, Gebheart, Beck, Schueller, Pomerenke, and Adam Keller. All of these guys are on the 2 deep with Emmanuel, Thornton, and Dudzik.

Plus guys like Littlejohn looked solid too.

DjKyRo
06-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Good article but missed on many other freshman who can start or compete for playing time this year. Vraa, Gebheart, Beck, Schueller, Pomerenke, and Adam Keller. All of these guys are on the 2 deep with Emmanuel, Thornton, and Dudzik.

Plus guys like Littlejohn looked solid too.

Unfortunately I have a limited amount of space to cover multiple athletes with any depth. Those were the three I went after, though there are certainly plenty of others that are going to have to step up. Don't forget Don Carter, Jordan Champion (from AZ), and Derek Lee might see some playing time depending on what TE depth looks like.

CaBisonFan
06-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Good article...and well written...seriously.

I think that most major football programs have a similar dilemma at quarterback. When they bring in talented recruits, there's typically attrition when some of them see the handwriting on the wall. They look for a place where they can play. We're 'very' fortunate to have a 3-deep situation along with Wentz as a true freshman.

Ideally...you have a great QB that's a senior or junior...maybe a sophomore that's in the wings...one or two redshirt freshmen that have potential...and one blue-chip recruit sitting out the year. But that's got to be very difficult to get going. Seems like even the elite FBS programs have to reload for a year or two after they've had a big-time QB graduate.

HerdBot
06-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Unfortunately I have a limited amount of space to cover multiple athletes with any depth. Those were the three I went after, though there are certainly plenty of others that are going to have to step up. Don't forget Don Carter, Jordan Champion (from AZ), and Derek Lee might see some playing time depending on what TE depth looks like.

You picked the right 3 guys and the receiver situation is an article in itself. Fine work keep em coming!

DjKyRo
06-22-2011, 11:07 PM
You picked the right 3 guys and the receiver situation is an article in itself. Fine work keep em coming!

Still have a number of other articles on the backburner, including a three-part breakdown of the season (3 non-conf games, first 4 conf. games, second 4 conf. games) along with an article on the receivers. Always open to suggestions as well so keep 'em coming.