PDA

View Full Version : Impact of Missing Players - BI Article

DjKyRo
06-16-2011, 09:29 PM
The Impact of Missing Players - offseason attrition leaves Bison in curious situation.

Just a couple weeks ago it was confirmed that former Bison quarterback Jose Mohler, the man who took the snaps during the Bison's fourth FBS win and all but clinched the win over Montana State with a forty-yard end-around, found his transfer destination in Central Washington (interestingly, the alma mater of NFL backup Jon Kitna). The confirmation is the third big announcement of a relatively major Bison player leaving the team for various reasons, and it leaves the Bison in a position perhaps more precarious than would seem.

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=658

Castor Troy
06-16-2011, 09:39 PM
The Impact of Missing Players - offseason attrition leaves Bison in curious situation.

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=658

I was recently thinking about this very subject. Sigers, Mohler, and a question mark for Jemison. I have to admit, I'm a bit worried about this season. I think that the #9 ranking was very generous.

Notorious
06-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Injuries could really hurt us without these three. Outside of that, I don't think we will miss them that much. Jemison would be tough to lose for the season though.

Superfan
06-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Landon Smith graduated. I believe you mean Derrick Lang?

DjKyRo
06-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Landon Smith graduated. I believe you mean Derrick Lang?

D'oh. Went from "Ryan Smith" and the last name must've been stuck in my head. Thanks for pointing that out.

Herd
06-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Sigers will be missed, big time. There is not another guy on the roster with his unique ability to take it to the housein a flash on any play. His absence will cost us a game at some point this season. I was hoping that smith would be that type of player, but Sigers was at a different level last year. We have good RB's but not a change of pace burner like Sigers, I loved to watch him play.

Jemison, I think he will be available by game 4, and there is lots of depth behind him.

Mohler, I tip my hat first. But really, He would have been behind 4 guys by next year.

Da_Bison
06-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Sigers will be missed, big time. There is not another guy on the roster with his unique ability to take it to the housein a flash on any play. His absence will cost us a game at some point this season. I was hoping that smith would be that type of player, but Sigers was at a different level last year. We have good RB's but not a change of pace burner like Sigers, I loved to watch him play.

Jemison, I think he will be available by game 4, and there is lots of depth behind him.

Mohler, I tip my hat first. But really, He would have been behind 4 guys by next year.

I totally concur, Spot on with everything

CaBisonFan
06-17-2011, 02:47 AM
Every program, including the best, will lose some players to tranfers, injuries, etc...every year. The transfer of Mohler means that we're loaded at QB. Sigers has let 'himself' down. I'd call this a good off-season in terms of attrition.

Good luck to Sigers & Mohler. Hope Jemison gets back soon. It's a well-written non-story. It's worth a small paragraph on page 3 of a newspaper...but it's not a curious situation in a program like NDSU's.

HerdBot
06-17-2011, 06:46 AM

Sigers was a good player but here's the reality.

He played in 14 games. He ran the ball 57 times and averaged less yards than Voightlander and less a yard more than DJ. He averaged 4 touches per game. He also caught 3 passes all season with no TD's. Sorry but that's not that big of a deal.

With smart play calling alone we can make up the difference. Give Ojuri, Hudson, and Smith a few more touches and we're fine. We have playmakers.

Special teams? He was great at blocking kicks. That will be missed.

Return man? Take away his long TD against EWU and he averages less per kickoff than Dustin Howard (who was not that special of a player sorry) Sigers was blazing fast. I remember he either went down with an arm tackle or broke a long run. There wasn't much in between with him...

Moehler - means absolutely nothing whatsover. The wonderful stories of him running to hug players makes us feel all warm and fuzzy but the reality was he was a below average qb.

Howard - below average 3rd string receiver with 1 big play against YSU. Between Gebheart, Vraa, Wahlo, Smith, Brady Hansen, and Reed Duchscher we can easily replace him. Duchsher is suprisingly sitting on the top of the depth chat.

The team is deeper than we've ever been... prime example... a guy as talented as Don Carter isn't showing up on the depth chart at linebacker. It's not that he's not great, it's because he's one of 8 guys with some serious talent! 2 years ago we were so thin at linebacker we had DJ play in a game! Carters time will come and he will be a star. In the time being he will contribute other ways. Probably on special teams.

ndsubison1
06-17-2011, 07:14 AM

agreed. i completely disagree with sigers loss "being the least felt." at anytime sigers was on the field he had the ability to score. he gave the defenses a different look and was a great change of pace back. whenever mcnorton was on the field it seemed like they knew he was getting the ball. then sigers comes in, i noticed this esp. vs EWU but when he came in it kinda caught the defense off guard and he wold have a nice run. his special teams will hurt on both sides with his speed whether thats on kick return or punt return. losing a speedy and dangerous player like sigers is never insignificant. what happens if mcnorton or ojuri go down? then what?

ndsubisonx
06-17-2011, 07:31 AM
I see Mohler as the least significant. Sigers is a big loss with his big play ability. Howard's experience is a big blow and hurts depth. All are significant losses no doubt

Jim Puetz
06-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Gabe, you are spot on.

Scooter1
06-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Of these three guys, Sigers is going to be the hardest to replace. The guy was a proven commodity on special teams. You can't lose a guy that crashes off the edge like he did on field goals and punts without feeling the effect. The truth is that the kid had speed. You can't coach it and it is missed when it is gone. He appeared to have a solid relationship with his team mates and was a team player. He contributed all over the field and was a major factor on special teams. In the MVC, you need to win the battles on offense, defense and special teams. If you lose the special teams battle every week, count on a few extra losses this year. Mike had the bigger impact on special teams than anyone else IMO. Hopefully, we can find a guy who can replace him.

Jose Mohler was a good asset to this team. He took his demotion after getting hurt and waited on the sidelines for his chance without causing a distraction to the team. When he did get his shot, he came in and did just enough to get us the win. We have five other QB on the roster and fortunately for us, just good enough to get the job done looks like it is going to be a thing of the past. Jose was definitely the third string QB last spring. The only thing that will hold us back at this position is Brent Vigen. Sorry Brent, but we need a guy that knows how to coach quarterbacks. We need a coach who can get these guys to look at more than one receiver per pass play. Unfortunately, Jose is a product of the Brent Vigen system. I hope this doesn't hurt him when competing for a job in Central Washington. I'd like to see him do well. he was a good kid.

Mr. Jemison... if everything goes OK this summer this will be a dead issue. I have to agree with coach Bohl when he states that we have six or seven linebackers that he is comfortable with. The guy that really stood out for me this spring was Carlton Littlejohn. The kid is a unique athlete and will see time in the rotation. With, Evans, Willson, Olson, Carter, Littlejohn, Gefroh, Beck and Huska, the pressure is off a bit to get Jemison ready for games one or two.

Howard has game experience and was a good down Field blocker for a wide receiver. He had adequate hands and stayed on his feet on initial contact. Those qualities will always be missed. However, I think that we have the guys who can fill his role on the roster. Zach Vraa, Trevor Gebhart, Reed Douscher, Ryan Smith and Dante Perez all can do what Howard did. Reed Douscher had a good spring as did Gebhart. I would say that we are much better off now than we were last year at WR. We do need Cooper Wahlo to start showing some better hands, routes and some of that speed that he was boasting on his You Tube video coming out of high school. Of all the receivers at the spring game, I liked seeing Dante Perez catching the ball. Dante appeared to have a better understanding of the design of the plays and what others on the Field were doing than the other receivers. This probably due to his role as a QB. (shit, did I just give an inadvertent compliment to Vigen?)

What will be interesting is the incoming freshmen and how they will figure into the mix. We have some good size on the freshmen kids that are on the defense, especially in the safety spot. It should push the guys that we have on campus now to improve this summer to hang on to their spots.

GradBison
06-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Sigers was a good player but here's the reality.

He played in 14 games. He ran the ball 57 times and averaged less yards than Voightlander and less a yard more than DJ. He averaged 4 touches per game. He also caught 3 passes all season with no TD's. Sorry but that's not that big of a deal.

With smart play calling alone we can make up the difference. Give Ojuri, Hudson, and Smith a few more touches and we're fine. We have playmakers.

Special teams? He was great at blocking kicks. That will be missed.

Return man? Take away his long TD against EWU and he averages less per kickoff than Dustin Howard (who was not that special of a player sorry) Sigers was blazing fast. I remember he either went down with an arm tackle or broke a long run. There wasn't much in between with him...

If you have access to the Montana State game go back and watch it. I re-watched the other night (Oh nos! WW"MNLongHorn"T?? :hide:) and I must say I came away feeling Sigers will be a bigger loss than many here think.

I hope I'm wrong. Not saying it's gonna be doom and gloom without him, but he had something special that will be missed.

Herd
06-17-2011, 10:08 PM
If you have access to the Montana State game go back and watch it. I re-watched the other night (Oh nos! WW"MNLongHorn"T?? :hide:) and I must say I came away feeling Sigers will be a bigger loss than many here think.

I hope I'm wrong. Not saying it's gonna be doom and gloom without him, but he had something special that will be missed.

Sigers was a big Factor at Mt State, but then showed up even bigger at EWU. We was getting a repuatation as a big game, big play guy. Not everyone steps up when the spotlights come on. Sigers did, and he will be missed. I hope I am proven wrong about it equating to a lose or two.

HerdBot
06-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Sigers was a big Factor at Mt State, but then showed up even bigger at EWU. We was getting a repuatation as a big game, big play guy. Not everyone steps up when the spotlights come on. Sigers did, and he will be4 missed. I hope I am proven wrong about it equating to a lose or two.

4 touches per game and 4 TDs over 14 games = 2 losses? I think the progress of Brock Jensen, improved o-line, and Ojuri will more than make up for the loss. We will be improved across the board at all positions on offense. Just my opinion. I would I could be wrong.

CaBisonFan
06-18-2011, 01:40 AM
4 touches per game and 4 TDs over 14 games = 2 losses? I think the progress of Brock Jensen, improved o-line, and Ojuri will more than make up for the loss. We will be improved across the board at all positions on offense. Just my opinion. I would I could be wrong.

You could be wrong...but you're not. You nailed it.

HerdBot
06-18-2011, 02:04 AM
You could be wrong...but you're not. You nailed it.

Hell 4 improved play calls per game would do it!

BlueBisonRock
06-18-2011, 02:10 AM

Asking for quite a bit from the OC now, arn't you?

Note the absence of purple

CaBisonFan
06-18-2011, 03:51 AM

I'd take one or two...especially when we need a yard or less. No...we are 'not' an option team.

WYOBISONMAN
06-18-2011, 06:14 AM

,,,,,,and the jury is sure out on that one!

BisonNeil
06-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Injuries could really hurt us without these three. Outside of that, I don't think we will miss them that much. Jemison would be tough to lose for the season though.

I disagree. Sigers will be missed a great deal.

You'll miss Mohler when Jensen gets yet another concussion and Thorton struggles. You'll wish the Bison had a bonafide third string QB to go to with valuable game experience.

Scooter1
06-18-2011, 09:50 PM
I disagree. Sigers will be missed a great deal.

You'll miss Mohler when Jensen gets yet another concussion and Thorton struggles. You'll wish the Bison had a bonafide third string QB to go to with valuable game experience.

BisonNeil, you are 100% right in regards to Sigers. Sigers came up big in big games. Playoff games are big games and Sigers showed up big in each game.

Playoff Stats for Sigers:

Rushing 20 carries...188 yards.... 2 TD....9.4 ypc
K.O......7 returns....243 yards.....1 TD ...33.3 ypr
blocked field goals.......2

As far a Mohler goes...I agree, we will wish he was still with the team if Thorton struggles in relief. I'll say this, I am really glad that Dante Perez chose to stick it out.

IzzyFlexion
06-18-2011, 10:12 PM
BisonNeil, you are 100% right in regards to Sigers. Sigers came up big in big games. Playoff games are big games and Sigers showed up big in each game.

Playoff Stats for Sigers:

Rushing 20 carries...188 yards.... 2 TD....9.4 ypc
K.O......7 returns....243 yards.....1 TD ...33.3 ypr
blocked field goals.......2

As far a Mohler goes...I agree, we will wish he was still with the team if Thorton struggles in relief. I'll say this, I am really glad that Dante Perez chose to stick it out.

That's what she said!
http://www.voote.com/images/00062/Reg.6255.16.jpg

HerdBot
06-19-2011, 02:43 AM
How about the thread is "Impact Of New Players that didn't play much or at all last year"

Kyle Emmanuel - top of depth chart
Trevor Gebheart - possible starter
Zack Vraa - possible starter
Tyler Gimmestadt- top of depth chart
Carlton Littlejohn - cracked depth chart
Travis Beck - cracked depth chart
Sam Ojuri -#2 back
Wes Hudson - super fast and athletic
Jeff Jerve - got hurt but was considered a guy ready to compete for starting spot
Ariel Boyd - tall and fast corner competing for starting role
Christian Dudzik - highly rated recruit looking playing time
Logan Hushka -looking to crack the depth chart.
Justin Juckem - dt dude is big now
Cooper Wahl - fast and has a chance to compete
Reed Duschner- top off depth chart at receiver

Or better yet... "impact of last years freshman who were good last year and should be even better in 2011"
Grant Olson
Marcus Williams
Heagle
Jensen
Turner
Perry
Smith
Hinz
Jirik

And we haven't even touched on the new freshman class

Tons of new talent here.

CAS4127
06-20-2011, 03:57 AM
????? Hudson ???????? Just sayin and telling!

HerdBot
06-20-2011, 05:59 PM
????? Hudson ???????? Just sayin and telling!

At this point there's not much on the guy but he's one heck of an athlete. He played receiver, running back, kick returner, and corner. He was a all district sprinter and has legit 4.4 speed, good moves, and the reason he went quietly is because he didn't get as many touches and the guy who played infront of him went to a BCS school. He will contribute some how... just too good of an athlete.