PDA

View Full Version : "Joe Mays Beefs Up for Season"

bri-dog
06-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Story about Joe in the Denver Post today...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18267735

Tatanka
06-14-2011, 03:18 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2011/0613/20110613__20110614_C01_SP14FBNBRONX~p1.JPG

Got to love the BISON PRIDE.

devin45k
06-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Looks like a beast

aces1180
06-14-2011, 03:23 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2011/0613/20110613__20110614_C01_SP14FBNBRONX~p1.JPG

Got to love the BISON PRIDE.

I think he took a tip from the pro wrestling industry and baby oiled those guns up before the shoot.*

He's a beast.

*His arms are bigger than my legs.

Twentysix
06-14-2011, 03:25 PM
My god those are arms. Do other NFL players look like this?

EndZoneQB
06-14-2011, 03:42 PM
The fans in Denver really seem to like him too. I am a little concerned about him going back to the 4-3. He seemed like he really fit in their old 3-4 scheme....

VanClubPres
06-14-2011, 04:43 PM
The fans in Denver really seem to like him too. I am a little concerned about him going back to the 4-3. He seemed like he really fit in their old 3-4 scheme....

As the local Bronco expert, I fully expect RunDMC34 to weigh in on this.

Anyway, what a monster, I hope it works out for Mays!!!

56BISON73
06-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Story about Joe in the Denver Post today...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18267735

Nice read. Thanks.

BadlandsBison
06-14-2011, 07:35 PM
AFC west is still anyone's division IMHO. Can't wait to see Joe on the field!

Tatanka
06-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Speaking of Joe, how is that marketing assignment coming along. You know, the one where you get a camera in front of the Bison in the NFL (current, past greats, etc.) and have them wish the team good luck, pump up the crowd, and say GO BISON. Yeah, that.

EndZoneQB
06-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Speaking of Joe, how is that marketing assignment coming along. You know, the one where you get a camera in front of the Bison in the NFL (current, past greats, etc.) and have them wish the team good luck, pump up the crowd, and say GO BISON. Yeah, that.

I have no idea what you are even saying. It must be some foreign language?

Tatanka
06-14-2011, 11:48 PM
I have no idea what you are even saying. It must be some foreign language?

What, the part where I said "marketing"? :D

THEsocalledfan
06-15-2011, 12:03 AM

Silly Tatanka.

NDSU would have to have a marketing department and some kind of clue on how to expose the public outside of Fargo Moorhead to have such a deep thought.

Let's just let them stick to the basics.

CAS4127
06-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Can't wait to see Mays smoke some peeps this fall, but is he really 5' 11''? Not that it matters given how physical he is, but I am barely 6' and he seemed much less than 1'' shorter than me. Anybody know for certain?

westnodak93bison
06-15-2011, 01:12 AM
Can't wait to see Mays smoke some peeps this fall, but is he really 5' 11''? Not that it matters given how physical he is, but I am barely 6' and he seemed much less than 1'' shorter than me. Anybody know for certain?

it's just an optical illusion, his big arms makes him look shorter

CHADSTAUS
06-15-2011, 02:53 AM
That is him next to me at a game in Iowa. I felt very small.

roadwarrior
06-15-2011, 02:58 AM
I was a guest on the team charter a few years ago and because it was a charter flight they don't have to follow all of the government rules. For instance the cockpit door was open during the flight and several of the players took a peek into the cockpit. When Mays stepped in there, I could feel the plane make an automatic adjustment to balance the weight!

coldspot
06-15-2011, 04:02 AM
I was a guest on the team charter a few years ago and because it was a charter flight they don't have to follow all of the government rules. For instance the cockpit door was open during the flight and several of the players took a peek into the cockpit. When Mays stepped in there, I could feel the plane make an automatic adjustment to balance the weight!

good thing they don't have to follow government rules because I don't think you can bring those guns on a regular plane. I gotta start working on my bicep curls ASAP.

EndZoneQB
06-15-2011, 04:12 AM

You are using some sort of dialect I've never heard before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRl9mxwixeA

Twentysix
06-17-2011, 04:59 AM

I stood next to him in the union when he was a JR. Id guess he was 5'9ish 5'11 isnt that big of an exageration. I'm around 6'2

DjKyRo
06-17-2011, 05:29 AM

His arms are so big that they generate their own gravitational field, thus making him appear more compact.

TILIS-BisonFan
06-18-2011, 04:44 PM
My god those are arms. Do other NFL players look like this?

Pretty much every d end and linebacker and most tight ends do yeah

silkamilkamonico
06-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Great player for the organization and yea Denver loves him.

I think he's going to be an excellent special teams player. Unfortunately I don't think they see him as a regular rotation guy in their 4-3. They love their draft pick Nate Irving and at this moment it is his spot to lose even coming in as a rookie, he's a prototypical MLB in Fox's 4-3 scheme.

Spencer Larson is moving back from FB to his natural position of MLB and will likely be their backup and rotation regular and compete with Irving for the spot.

With their draft pick Miller, Dumervil coming off IR, and Ayers slowly progressing on a plethora of potential, I think Denver made a huge mistake switching back to the 4-3. Dooms and Ayers, who are better 3-4 pass rushers, and their LB's as a unit are a much better fit for the 3-4, and that would have included Mays right in the thick of competing for a starting spot in the middle.

As a huge lifelong Denver fan there is a part of me that hopes Fox fails miserably as a Bronco.

WRSDBison
06-22-2011, 03:33 AM
Great player for the organization and yea Denver loves him.

I think he's going to be an excellent special teams player. Unfortunately I don't think they see him as a regular rotation guy in their 4-3. They love their draft pick Nate Irving and at this moment it is his spot to lose even coming in as a rookie, he's a prototypical MLB in Fox's 4-3 scheme.

Spencer Larson is moving back from FB to his natural position of MLB and will likely be their backup and rotation regular and compete with Irving for the spot.

With their draft pick Miller, Dumervil coming off IR, and Ayers slowly progressing on a plethora of potential, I think Denver made a huge mistake switching back to the 4-3. Dooms and Ayers, who are better 3-4 pass rushers, and their LB's as a unit are a much better fit for the 3-4, and that would have included Mays right in the thick of competing for a starting spot in the middle.

As a huge lifelong Denver fan there is a part of me that hopes Fox fails miserably as a Bronco.

I can understand what you're saying on that one. I said the same exact thing when they hired McDaniels. It happened WAY sooner than I had expected though.

BadlandsBison
06-22-2011, 03:45 AM
I can understand what you're saying on that one. I said the same exact thing when they hired McDaniels. It happened WAY sooner than I had expected though.

I'm missing Shanahan. Shanahan could coach, just didn't seem like he drafted well and I think that was his only problem.

silkamilkamonico
06-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Shanahan is an interesting debate.

Obvious what he did for Denver, and he was excellent during the regular season.

However, all he gave Denver after Elway retired was 1 AFCWest Division title, only 1 playoff win, 3 embarrassing blowout losses all in a 10 year span. He was also responsible for 3 of the organizations worst defenses in their history, and after he finally found his prized QB with Cutler (after Elway), he had his 3 worst seasons of his Denver tenure.

I loved Shanahan but for me his mystique wore off around 2006 when he couldn't build from the 2005 season where the one playoff win and great season ended in a blowout playoff loss at home in the AFCCG.

He became a coach that could only run an offense, and was known for ignoring special teams and defense. Hell, he turned a top 10 defense in Washington into the leagues worst in 1 season.

The game has passed Shanahan by, and IMHO he would be better off being an OC.

I was superhyped with McDaniels, and still think he's an excellent young offensive mind that basically purged Denver of all their talent and had no business being a head coach (I still think he's going to be an excellent head coach when he learns how to communicate with people).. After my hope for him blew up in my face, I'm at a point where I need to see results on the field before I buy into any hope for the next Denver coach to win a playoff game, whomever that may be.

EndZoneQB
06-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Shanahan is an interesting debate.

Obvious what he did for Denver, and he was excellent during the regular season.

However, all he gave Denver after Elway retired was 1 AFCWest Division title, only 1 playoff win, 3 embarrassing blowout losses all in a 10 year span. He was also responsible for 3 of the organizations worst defenses in their history, and after he finally found his prized QB with Cutler (after Elway), he had his 3 worst seasons of his Denver tenure.

I loved Shanahan but for me his mystique wore off around 2006 when he couldn't build from the 2005 season where the one playoff win and great season ended in a blowout playoff loss at home in the AFCCG.

He became a coach that could only run an offense, and was known for ignoring special teams and defense. Hell, he turned a top 10 defense in Washington into the leagues worst in 1 season.

The game has passed Shanahan by, and IMHO he would be better off being an OC.

I was superhyped with McDaniels, and still think he's an excellent young offensive mind that basically purged Denver of all their talent and had no business being a head coach (I still think he's going to be an excellent head coach when he learns how to communicate with people).. After my hope for him blew up in my face, I'm at a point where I need to see results on the field before I buy into any hope for the next Denver coach to win a playoff game, whomever that may be.

He just needs to stop trying to run those aspects if they aren't his specialty. Childress definitely let Frazier run the show on defense because he knew his game was a "kick ass offense". He just needs to check his ego at the door.

silkamilkamonico
06-22-2011, 10:06 PM
I agree but he just won't do that. Bowlen talked to him on 2 separate occasions about delegating the duties and both meetings turned into verbal confrontations, in which the second one ultimately led to Shanahan's firing.

Shanahan's an offensive genius. But until he learns that the NFL's best coaches trust their uint coaches, I think he's going to continue to flow in mediocrity as a head coach.

Unfortunate. The guy really does know offense.

BadlandsBison
06-23-2011, 12:17 AM
I watched a behind the scenes type deal with Shanahan once. He had the absolute final say on everything, and he had his defensive meetings taped every day so he could watch them if he had to miss them. He had to approve what plays will be run, what formations, what drills were ran in practice, ect. He almost spread himself too thin.

As a result the defensive personal always seemed to be sub par and the D coordinator position was a revolving door. That said, he turned Steve Young and John Elway into first ballot HOFers. His only drawback was that he was controlling.

KC Bison
06-23-2011, 12:59 AM
As someone stuck in Kansas City, surrounded by Chief fans, I hope Joe has a great year and that he tears the Chiefs to shreads.

Bisontug
06-23-2011, 03:49 PM
As someone stuck in Kansas City, surrounded by Chief fans, I hope Joe has a great year and that he tears the Chiefs to shreads.

Don't know about the first part of that statement..., but it is hard not to cheer for Joe (even thought he plays for the Donkeys)... just hoping he doesn't knock too many of our guys out when they play (ask Tony Maeoke how that felt)... if they play that is.

A1pigskin
06-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Those arms are huge.

CAS4127
06-30-2011, 01:30 AM
Tranny + AG + Note combined = much smaller!! Not that it wasn't obvious!! Brains also from what I can tell!!