PDA

View Full Version : Classroom Renovations at NDSU

Tatanka
06-13-2011, 02:33 PM
This is a crime.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/323214/

Seriously, thanks to the corporate sponsors, but this is a fricking OUTRAGE.

tony
06-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Exactly.

A great example of how NDSU continues to survive despite the best efforts of Holmberg, Skarphol, et al.

Won't build anything on NDSU's campus for 40 years? The alumni ponied up to build classroom space.
Won't fund NDSU at levels anywhere close to other universities in North Dakota? NDSU's students stepped in and paid more tuition.
Won't pay for the most basic maintenance on buildings? Corporations have stepped in.

The only thing different about the latest development is that unlike the first two things, Holmberg and Skarphol won't express "deep disappointment" about somebody else taking on their responsibility (but I wouldn't put it past them to use it as an excuse to cut NDSU's funding more in relation to other universities.)

bisonmike2
06-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Ridiculous. But I applaud them at finding a way to get things done. I for one would be amused to see The King Cobra Malt Liquor Study Hall or the Trojan Business Center. Can anyone buy these sponsorships? Can we get a group together and buy "Skarpol Can Suck a Fat Dick Auditorium"?

EndZoneQB
06-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Christ, at least area companies realize the value in NDSU being a large, successful university. Terrible, just terrible. I think this is everyone's big F YOU! to the SBoHE.

DjKyRo
06-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Christ, at least area companies realize the value in NDSU being a large, successful university. Terrible, just terrible. I think this is everyone's big F YOU! to the SBoHE.

And yet how much do you want to bet the SBoHE/legislature will simply see this as "See, NDSU gets kept up at the current funding levels! They find ways to get it done, they don't need our help!"

NorthernBison
06-13-2011, 09:05 PM
I love the concept of the AgCountry Auditorium. It's great when competitors sponsor educational events there and they get to invite "their" customers to the "AgCountry Auditorium". Brilliant move and money well spent by AgCountry.

BTW, they also sponsor the market update signs there too.

sambini
06-14-2011, 03:18 AM
Thaks Gate City Bank for all you do.

DjKyRo
06-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Class move by Gate City Bank. First opened an account when I was a freshman because I needed a local bank and they advertised at Bison games, have been totally satisfied with their service since then.

NorthernBison
06-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Im not amused by this. I intend to let our President know that I am willing to do whatever I can on a local level to either get the message across to my representatives or capaaign like heck to make changes. Actually, one of them has zero chance of getting my vote the next time around. A trained monkey could make better decisions.

This funding mechanism should not be necessary for renovations. I understand it a little bit for SOME new construction (primarily sports facilities).

IzzyFlexion
06-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Im not amused by this. I intend to let our President know that I am willing to do whatever I can on a local level to either get the message across to my representatives or capaaign like heck to make changes. Actually, one of them has zero chance of getting my vote the next time around. A trained monkey could make better decisions.

This funding mechanism should not be necessary for renovations. I understand it a little bit for SOME new construction (primarily sports facilities).

I believe that we all have become conditioned to the concept of corporations acting as stewards for these palacial sports arenas popping up on college campuses. In addition to that warm and fuzzy feeling of gratitude that is naturally felt for these corporations, always remember the business advantages for this benevolence. It's not as though these boards of directors are sitting around a table saying....."you know, I think we should do something nice for NDSU. Let's pay for the renovation of Stevens Auditorium just because we are nice people." I know that we're all smart enough to be aware that these decisions are not soley based on being "nicey, nicey".
I think what Northern is getting at (and others have also eluded to it) is that it is a not a great thing to allow corporations to run rampant making NDSU's campus look like a collage (yes collage, not college :)) of NASCAR vehicles, while the state interprets it as...."well, I guess we don't even need to fund those guys."

Repeating Northern because it's a terrific statement (paraphrasing)....It is not the funding mechanism we should want or need on a large scale.

JMB
06-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Hell I was thinking it would be a good way to endow teaching positions. Dress them up like NASCAR race drivers with little patches all over. I could see one of my Industrial Engineering Professors with a big sign on his back saying "2-for-1 tuesdays at Chubs"

bisonmike2
06-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Hell I was thinking it would be a good way to endow teaching positions. Dress them up like NASCAR race drivers with little patches all over. I could see one of my Industrial Engineering Professors with a big sign on his back saying "2-for-1 tuesdays at Chubs"

Great idea. Honestly, I could see this happening along with the professors reading commercials in class or incorporating them into the curriculum.

"If a semi trailer carrying delicious supplies for a Carls Jr. leaves Dallas at 6:30 pm, and it averages 65 mph, will it arrive in Atlanta in time to beat the morning breakfast rush?"

This problem was brought to you by Carls Jr. Carls Jr. 'F*ck you, I'm eating!''

We are inching closer and closer to Idiocracy.

HerdBot
06-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Embarrassing. Wow. Sponsors to pay for something state owned. This is after a 10% tuition increase. If the state was a landlord they would be considered a slum lord. Other colleges use donations to build new buildings.

tony
06-14-2011, 07:29 PM
While I'm pretty ticked at neglect shown to NDSU, I shouldn't have let it prevent me from saying:

Thanks, Gate City Bank!
Thanks, AgCountry!

runtheoption
06-14-2011, 07:48 PM
While I'm pretty ticked at neglect shown to NDSU, I shouldn't have let it prevent me from saying:

Thanks, Gate City Bank!
Thanks, AgCountry!

++++++++++++++++++++++

mebisonII
06-16-2011, 05:25 AM
No one forget though, NDSU has budget problems because we haven't learned how to live within our means. There is no reason to give us more funding because we've already proven we can't spend what we have responsibly.

Typing that made my stomach hurt.

BisBison
06-16-2011, 12:29 PM
No one forget though, NDSU has budget problems because we haven't learned how to live within our means. There is no reason to give us more funding because we've already proven we can't spend what we have responsibly.

Typing that made my stomach hurt.

It should have mad your stomach hurt. Give an example rather than a general slam. And the president's house doesn't count. (no state funds)

Bison bison
06-16-2011, 01:55 PM
No one forget though, NDSU has budget problems because we haven't learned how to live within our means.

That's exactly right.

NDSU needs to know its place which is as a second-rate institution with 6,000 students. right?

TbonZach
06-16-2011, 03:16 PM
It should have mad your stomach hurt. Give an example rather than a general slam. And the president's house doesn't count. (no state funds)

I think he missed the purple text memo. He was just giving the reason that so many others are giving for NDSU's underfunding.

mebisonII
06-17-2011, 05:38 AM
I think he missed the purple text memo. He was just giving the reason that so many others are giving for NDSU's underfunding.

Yeah, haven't been here much lately (stupid thesis). I had seen the purple font thing, but didn't think to use it.

Guess I should learn to be on top of things, like sue fans.